Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762506 times)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2014, 09:00:45 AM »
Ahh, see I really liked Anathema and Cryptonomicon. My library doesn't have his other books, but they're on my list for when I have access to a better library.

Ah, well I'm glad we agree on Cryptonomicon :)  As for the series, perhaps it comes down my secretly being a yaoi fan and so the gay-Isaac-Newton subplot was what pushed me over into liking it.

Update: China to Me, the insouciant period diary, is now about the author getting pregnant with an illegitimate child in order to avoid the Japanese internment camps.  It escalated quickly.

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2014, 05:44:27 PM »

Update: China to Me, the insouciant period diary, is now about the author getting pregnant with an illegitimate child in order to avoid the Japanese internment camps.  It escalated quickly.

You've really made me want to read this book, sheepstache.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »
Dust; part 3 of the Silo Saga by Hugh Howey.  Need to power through and finish it as my fiction-reading time is over and I'll be turning my attention to gardening and horse training books in short order.  Probably going to re-read Dressage for the Not-So-Perfect Horse and/or Centered Riding 2 next.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2014, 03:22:36 PM »
Hm….25 books? I'll include 25 books of essays, memoirs, and poetry I've enjoyed for various reasons.

All Quiet on the Western Front
Predictably Irrational (maybe not really my top 25, but I found it an interesting read)
Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen
The Secret History, Donna Tart (do not like her newest book)
Night, Elie Wiesel
Blue, Joan Didion
The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion
The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway
Lit, Mary Karr
Catherine the Great bio (can't recall author)
Travels with Charley, John Steinbeck
The Good Earth, Pearl S. Buck
Giovanni's Room, James Baldwin
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Native Son, Richard Wright
A Lesson Before Dying, Ernest Gaines
poetry by Elizabeth Bishop
short stories, Flannery O'Connor
short stories, Raymond Carver
various things by David Sedaris (very funny stuff)
The Yellow Wallpaper
The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Leaving Brooklyn, Lynn Sharon Schwartz
Le Divorce, Diane Johnson
Montaigne's essays

I also like reading Jane Austen and Kirk Vonnegut, but their novels and characters tend to blur together for me.

avonlea

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2014, 03:29:17 PM »
Quartet in Autumn by Barbara Pym

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2014, 08:53:57 AM »
The Passing of the Techno-mages Trilogy, by Jeanne Cavelos. I'm on the third one: Invoking Darkness. Yay, Bab 5!!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2014, 05:25:35 PM »
First section of my dad's new novel (draft). It is so, so funny and good. I am a proud daughter today.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »
Now working on Glasshouse by Charles Stross.

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
Hm….25 books? I'll include 25 books of essays, memoirs, and poetry I've enjoyed for various reasons.

All Quiet on the Western Front
Predictably Irrational (maybe not really my top 25, but I found it an interesting read)
Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen
The Secret History, Donna Tart (do not like her newest book)
Night, Elie Wiesel
Blue, Joan Didion
The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion
The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway
Lit, Mary Karr
Catherine the Great bio (can't recall author)
Travels with Charley, John Steinbeck
The Good Earth, Pearl S. Buck
Giovanni's Room, James Baldwin
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Native Son, Richard Wright
A Lesson Before Dying, Ernest Gaines
poetry by Elizabeth Bishop
short stories, Flannery O'Connor
short stories, Raymond Carver
various things by David Sedaris (very funny stuff)
The Yellow Wallpaper
The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Leaving Brooklyn, Lynn Sharon Schwartz
Le Divorce, Diane Johnson
Montaigne's essays

I also like reading Jane Austen and Kirk Vonnegut, but their novels and characters tend to blur together for me.

Lots of good ones in there. Kurt Vonnegut. But he did write science fiction so the Star Trek reference works ;)

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2014, 07:24:57 PM »
Sheldon Brown's Technical Bicycle Information http://sheldonbrown.com/
From solutions for bike-related pain, to bike suggestions.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2014, 09:08:38 PM »
Worlds of Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Vol. II: Trill and Bajor.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2014, 04:09:41 AM »
I'm not feeling well today so I'm getting back in bed to finish Loose Ends - A Mary O'Reilly Paranormal Mystery. It's quite fun and fluffy.:)

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2014, 04:04:22 PM »
I'm not feeling well today....

Sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better.

Exprezchef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2014, 05:10:39 PM »
Just started reading  The International Living guide to retiring overseas on a budget (How to live well on $25k a year).

I subscribed to their monthly magazine for a year and was able to score the book for 1/2 off of the Amazon price by pre-ordering it.

I am looking at options for my FIRE plan and this is definitely high on my list. I would like to look at central or south America but my wife is sold on the Asian countries.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »
Just got "Stop Acting Rich" by Thomas Stanley out of the library today and can't wait to dive into it. Was sorely tempted to buy it on Amazon but resisted! haha

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »
Antifragile by Nassim Taleb. Full of interesting ideas.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »

Take it with a big grain of salt, IMO.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »
Currently re-reading the Harry Potter series

And also trying to read "A random walk down Wall Street"

but have just come down with the flu and the brain can cope better with wizards than finance, so that has stalled a bit.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2014, 06:40:39 PM »
Why's that? Did you read it and find that he stretched the truth?

I haven't picked up the book yet but I've heard all about it, but nothing bad yet.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2014, 07:55:02 PM »

I haven't picked up the book yet but I've heard all about it, but nothing bad yet.

I wouldn't say stretched the truth, but I find that his conclusions don't follow, lots of times.

Essentially he presents a situation, then asserts a conclusion without any evidence or data.  It was a little frustrating.

This paragraph from this critique gives a good example of what I mean:
He suggests, for instance, that administering mammograms to “women over 40 on an annual basis does not lead to an increase in life expectancy,” because a doctor, seeing a tumor, “cannot avoid doing something harmful, like surgery followed by radiation, chemotherapy, or both — that is more harmful than the tumor.”

(Ignore 90% of this article, as a lot of the criticisms are merely attacking the author, something I don't care about.)

What evidence do you have for that?  Asserting that is dangerous, IMO.

The concept of Antifragile makes sense, in theory, and is very appealing on its face, but a lot of it is taken to hokum levels, IMO, to prove his point.

/shrug

My opinion.  There are certainly lots of people that praise it.  It's worth reading but, as I said, with a grain of salt. 
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2014, 09:14:53 PM »
A Walk in the Woods for the zillionth time, because I didn't make time to go to the library before taking the bus to Chicago this weekend

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2014, 06:42:57 AM »
Only the Innocent - Rachel Abbott.

I'm not feeling well today....

Sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better.

Thanks, I do feel a bit better today. :)

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2014, 11:17:21 AM »

I wouldn't say stretched the truth, but I find that his conclusions don't follow, lots of times.

Essentially he presents a situation, then asserts a conclusion without any evidence or data.  It was a little frustrating.

This paragraph from this critique gives a good example of what I mean:
He suggests, for instance, that administering mammograms to “women over 40 on an annual basis does not lead to an increase in life expectancy,” because a doctor, seeing a tumor, “cannot avoid doing something harmful, like surgery followed by radiation, chemotherapy, or both — that is more harmful than the tumor.”

(Ignore 90% of this article, as a lot of the criticisms are merely attacking the author, something I don't care about.)

What evidence do you have for that?  Asserting that is dangerous, IMO.

The concept of Antifragile makes sense, in theory, and is very appealing on its face, but a lot of it is taken to hokum levels, IMO, to prove his point.

/shrug

My opinion.  There are certainly lots of people that praise it.  It's worth reading but, as I said, with a grain of salt.

I wish I could remember the name of a book I read that was full of information along those lines. Like how aspirin is recommended for people who have bad tickers, however, it also causes GI bleeding. So if you don't have heart issues, you shouldn't take aspirin just to prevent them, because its side effects are worse than the chances it will prevent heart problems. I don't remember if it talked about boobs.

/irrelevant post.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2014, 11:25:39 AM »
Eating Aliens by Jackson Landers. It's about him going around and trying to eat all the invasive species in the US. A fun little book. Inspires me to be as adventuresome in eating as possible. And talk about thrift!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2014, 11:37:53 AM »
A Game of Thrones, George Martin

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2014, 11:41:37 AM »
Currently re-reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (read up to book 11 as a teenager). Better than I remembered and very enjoyable, though still cringe-worthy in parts.

Good to hear these are worth re-reading!  I also read up to book 9 several years ago then waited very impatiently for the next book to come out and it took forever!  When he finally wrote the next one (2 years later) I had forgotten so much I lost steam right away.  So I gave up on the whole thing.  Then I heard he died and someone else finished the series?  Maybe I'll pick it up again!  Since then I've tried not to start any long series until they are finished.  I had the same problem with the Game of Thrones books - and those are really cringe-worthy!  But guilty pleasure reading is always fun :)

I'm currently on the home-stretch with War & Peace and it's probably the best book I've ever read, and I've read a lot of classics.

RJ's WoT series is one of the few sets DH and I had duplicated from our younger days when we got married and merged bookcases.  Sanderson yes, does manage to wrap it up finally.

If you like those, try: Patrick Rothfuss, Brent Weeks, Robin Hobb, Kristain Britain...to a lesser degree, Jim Butcher

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
On to "Buried Alive" by Cuozzo now.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2014, 08:35:40 PM »
Reading through the Bible again, my second time through. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it, on track to finish in about 2 months.

I've got a few other good books waiting in the lineup, but I don't have the time at the moment.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2014, 04:42:43 AM »
This House is Haunted by John Boyne, an Irish writer.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »
Shadows and Strongholds by Elizabeth Chadwick. (library book). I've also got the sequel--Lords of the White Castle. Be careful, because her new one, called Outlaw Knight, is a re-print of LOTWC. If you're a Chadwick fan, you may have already read it 14 years ago.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2014, 10:30:45 AM »
Finished Life After Life by Kate Atkinson last night and will start Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn tonight/soon.  LAL was brilliant--I always want to get to the end of a book to know what happens and to start another book I'm excited about.  For LAL, I wanted to get to the end to know happened, but I was also sad to leave the main character and supporting cast behind.  I've enjoyed Atkinson's other books (notably the Jackson Brodie series), but LAL is her best work.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:15:55 PM by dodojojo »

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2014, 11:56:38 AM »
I'm reading A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel.  It's about the French Revolution specifically from the POV of Georges-Jacques Danton, Camille Desmoulins, and Maximilien Robespierre.

I'm really enjoying it but there's a reason Wolf Hall was kind of her break out book a year or two ago.  This is an earlier book and I would find it hard to read if I weren't already used to her style.  So if anyone with an interest in historical novels hasn't read it, definitely check out Wolf Hall.  It's kind of a novelized bio of Thomas Cromwell, an advisor to Henry the VIII.  Most people know him through the play A Man for All Seasons in which he's a one-dimensional bad guy intended as a materialistic foil for the saintly Thomas Moore.  In this version he's a keen businessman who uses his intelligence and insight into people to rise from a background of poverty and abuse to the highest levels of power.  I'm really impressed by her ability to take people who have been made historical icons and present them as human, exceptional and extraordinary humans, but still multi-dimensional and conflicted ones.  The clash between ideals and the maddening minutiae of practical political maneuvering which history books usually ignore is really satisfying in the current read about the French Revolution.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »
Wolf Hall was my first Mantel book and I found her style a bit difficult.  It took me forever to finish the book, though I'm glad I did.  It's terrific and will lead to the follow-up, Bring up the Bodies which is also fantastic.  It's also a faster and easier read than Wolf Hall.  Mantel tones down the idiosyncratic use of pronouns which made WH a bit off putting until you get into the story.  So WH requires a lot of patience.  BUTB doesn't as much.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2014, 01:20:10 PM »
I have a beef with Wolf Hall.  Everyone and their mother recommended it to me, because I read a ton of historical fiction and I wrote my thesis on the Tudor Era.  But...I hated it.  So much.  I hated her writing style.  I didn't even finish the book.  I just couldn't plow through it.  I think I've not finished maybe 3 or 4 books in my entire life?  So now I'm mad at the world about this book.  Everytime someone mentions it I get angry, because everyone I know who read it has loved it.  Even people who never read books loved it.  WHY DIDN'T I LOVE IT, TOO?

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2014, 02:32:52 PM »
Ha ha, I sympathize with your evident frustration.  I'm crazy about the book but I do try not to wildly oversell it because I know that alone can ruin a reading experience.  I'm sure Magnolia is a great movie but I saw it with two friends who had already seen it three times and were convinced it was the Greatest Movie of All Time and wouldn't stop making comments like, "Oh, you'll love this scene coming up it's so amazing!"  So I wonder if the few people I've heard who hated Wolf Hall just had something like that happen to them. 

Have you read The Sunne in Splendor?  I haven't, but a friend who's into the Tudor era recommended it highly (although it's Richard III).

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2014, 06:03:08 PM »
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Saw it on my roommates' bookshelf and realized it had been so long since I read it that I couldn't remember the plot... time for a refresher.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2014, 01:56:47 AM »
I have a beef with Wolf Hall.  Everyone and their mother recommended it to me, because I read a ton of historical fiction and I wrote my thesis on the Tudor Era.  But...I hated it.  So much.  I hated her writing style.  I didn't even finish the book.  I just couldn't plow through it.  I think I've not finished maybe 3 or 4 books in my entire life?  So now I'm mad at the world about this book.  Everytime someone mentions it I get angry, because everyone I know who read it has loved it.  Even people who never read books loved it.  WHY DIDN'T I LOVE IT, TOO?
I sympathize with you. I love historical fiction too, but I put Wolf Hall away as well. Might give it another try in the future though.

Absolutely loved Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, can you recommend anything similar in historical period, length, epicness etc.?

I'm familiar with Follett's Century Trilogy and really liked the first installment (haven't gotten round to reading the second one yet), but I prefer medieval or Tudor era fiction.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2014, 02:19:20 AM »
Under a Graveyard Sky by John Ringo. I'll never get sick of zombie books, even if I have yet to read anything that tops World War Z.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2014, 05:59:14 AM »
Have you read The Sunne in Splendor?  I haven't, but a friend who's into the Tudor era recommended it highly (although it's Richard III).

YES! Sharon Kay Penman is one of my all-time favorite authors.  Sunne in Splendour is excellent, but my favorite of hers his Here Be Dragons, which is about the grandaughter of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine who goes off to Wales to marry a prince.  It is awesome, and many of her books are tied to the characters who are introduced in that one.  Her books are great.  Read them!

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2014, 06:06:02 AM »
I sympathize with you. I love historical fiction too, but I put Wolf Hall away as well. Might give it another try in the future though.

Absolutely loved Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, can you recommend anything similar in historical period, length, epicness etc.?

I'm familiar with Follett's Century Trilogy and really liked the first installment (haven't gotten round to reading the second one yet), but I prefer medieval or Tudor era fiction.

Thank goodness I am not the only one!  I have thought about trying to read it again.  Maybe in another year or so...

I also love long, epic historical fiction.  Pillars of the Earth is a great one. 

Above I recommended Sharon Kay Penman's books, starting with Here Be Dragons.  Her books are set in a similar time and are very thorough and lengthy.  And many of them link to each other, so you can get really immersed in the characters.

Another favorite is The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, which is an epic telling of the Arthurian legends.  It's set earlier than the Medieval period, obviously, but it is really well done and beautifully written.

And my favorite historical fiction series of all time is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.  It is set in the 18th Century, but I recommend it to anyone who reads this genre because it is perfection.  There are seven books now, and she's about to release the 8th.  And each one is about 900 pages long, so they will keep you busy for a while!

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »
Currently reading Peter and the New Best Friend by Darren Pillsbury, book 26 in a young adult/children's horror series. I normally hate horror, but I've been totally digging this series.

Once I'm done with that I have the Games Creatures Play anthology waiting for me on my Kindle.

WageSlave

• Stubble
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2014, 03:47:46 PM »
Ahh, reading, one of my motivations for FIRE.  Between work and kids, basically limited to time on the train right now.  Would love to have a solid hour or two every day just to read, uninterrupted.  Reading and listening to (or playing) music could probably fill up 90% of the time freed up by FIRE'ing.

Anyway...

Recently finished Early Retirement Extreme by Jacob Fisker, The Stand by Stephen King, and Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely.

Currently reading Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.  So far I like it, but what bugs me, is where did I get the suggestion to read this?  I use Amazon's wish list as an easy way to track my "want to read" list.  E.g., somebody on a blog or forum will mention something that sounds good, and I'll add it to the list.  99% of the time, when I go back and review that list, I can remember what caused me to add that book... but not in this case!  Anyway, so far I like it, so I can't complain.

Next in the queue: The Millionaire Mind by Thomas Stanley and A Dance With Dragons by George RR Martin.

Interesting to see a heavy representation of Thomas Stanley and William Danko's work in this list.

I was kind of lukewarm on the previous Song of Ice and Fire book, so I'm not in a huge hurry to dive into another 1000-page book... Depending on how Oryx and Crake treats me, I might have to dive into the sequels ahead of Dragons.

As for top 25... impossible to say.  It might be cliche, but Frank Herbert's Dune comes to mind right away.  The first time I attempted it (high school I think?) I quit early on, because it was too complicated.  Later I gave it another try and it blew my mind.  I've since read it multiple times, loving it no less with each subsequent re-read.

Contrast with The Lord of the Rings trilogy: the first time I read it, it blew my mind.  I re-read it all again recently, and while I still enjoyed it, the second read-through didn't have the same effect.  I still love it, and would probably include it in my top 25, but it will likely be a very long time before I pick it up again.  Whereas, e.g., Dune, I'll likely read a few more times before I die.

Other favorites that come to mind:
Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card
All Creatures Great and Small, James Herriot
Isaac Asimov's Foundation series
Your Money or Your Life - kinda "meh" on the prose itself, but the message was a life-changer

Have to think about this some more...

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2014, 03:14:26 AM »
Thank goodness I am not the only one!  I have thought about trying to read it again.  Maybe in another year or so...

I also love long, epic historical fiction.  Pillars of the Earth is a great one. 

Above I recommended Sharon Kay Penman's books, starting with Here Be Dragons.  Her books are set in a similar time and are very thorough and lengthy.  And many of them link to each other, so you can get really immersed in the characters.

Another favorite is The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, which is an epic telling of the Arthurian legends.  It's set earlier than the Medieval period, obviously, but it is really well done and beautifully written.

And my favorite historical fiction series of all time is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.  It is set in the 18th Century, but I recommend it to anyone who reads this genre because it is perfection.  There are seven books now, and she's about to release the 8th.  And each one is about 900 pages long, so they will keep you busy for a while!
Thank you! I've read Mists of Avalon once I think. Will read it again. Haven't read your other suggestions yet but this gives me plenty to work with for now. Well appreciated!

nosyparker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2014, 03:31:16 AM »
the city and the city - china mieville
definitely enjoying it.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2014, 07:22:59 AM »
A Shocking Delight--Jo Beverley's new release.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2014, 03:33:47 PM »
"Cut your Grocery Bill in Half" by Annette Economedis -- some good meal planning helps so far

frpeebles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2014, 07:11:19 AM »
The Origins of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2014, 12:18:27 PM »
Just finished "Raising Steam" by Terry Pratchett which may, depending on his health, be the last Discworld novel (he was diagnosed w. early-onset Alzheimer's some years ago but apparently is doing much better than originally predicted.) Usually I read books in bits and pieces as I have time, but I actually spent a Sunday afternoon on the couch w. the book in honor of the many hours of pleasure Mr. Pratchett and his characters have provided over the years.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2014, 07:24:18 AM »
Started reading Henry David Thoreau's Walden yesterday. Completely loving it, I don't know why I never read it before. Still going through the Bible, too, on day 52 of 90, in Isaiah.

Also, instead of buying a copy of Walden for $1 on Amazon, you can get a completely free copy (and hundreds of other classic books) for free on the gutenberg.org project's site.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2014, 07:37:23 AM »
I'm reading a stats textbook cover to cover to test out of the course. Bleh.

Also a Rome tour guide. That is a little more enjoyable.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!