Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762479 times)

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #800 on: June 29, 2016, 10:51:46 AM »
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christi. An oldie with some superbly sexist and racist comments, but I love me a well-written mystery novel.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #801 on: June 29, 2016, 11:24:21 AM »
Recently discovered the Greek and Latin classics, particularly the Fagles translations.  Blew through the Illiad and the Odyssey and the Aeneid and am reading Sophocles' Oedipus trilogy and Aeschylus' Orestes trilogy, all Fagles translated (and quite excellent).  Almost done with then, then I'll move on toe WB Yeats in order to take a break from the ancient classics. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #802 on: July 02, 2016, 07:00:14 PM »
Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. So, so good.

I've heard so much praise for this for five or six years now... but he's only got two out of 5 out.

At that rate, he won't be done for another decade!

It's been on my Evernote Books To Read list for years and years.  But I won't cave!

I made the mistake of reading Game of Thrones lately.  All done with the series, now I have to wait for more.  Ugh.

I shouldn't have broken my policy of reading from an incomplete series.

Thus why I just downloaded all of these:
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

YA Fantasy. Loving it. Also excited that its a completed trilogy, so no waiting on sequels.

Bracken Joy sold me with that last sentence!  :)

I wondered if I would get you with that one ;)

On the other hand, you catalyzed a vital discussion- SirB has never been a big reader, and I found out after discussing your particular quirk on the finished series that *that* is one of his big hangups. Thus, sold him on Sabriel trilogy by Garth Nix, and he is loving it. So thank you for that! I would have never known otherwise, because it really doesn't bother me, so I never would have considered it!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #803 on: July 02, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
Haha, yes!  I'm not the only one.  Yay SirB!  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #804 on: August 21, 2016, 12:03:49 AM »
Just finished The Fireman, by Joe Hill. I'm still in that post-book haze where reality doesn't fully kick in and I kind of want to start the book all over again. I had to come here and recommend it straight away.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #805 on: August 21, 2016, 06:40:25 AM »
I only read non-fiction. I usually read several at a time; right now it's: The Four Pillars of Investing, Think and Grow Rich, Gems from Warren Buffett, Managing for Dummies (just got promoted to supervisor), Unconventional Success, and Making the Most of Your Money Now.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #806 on: August 21, 2016, 07:43:48 AM »
Atonement by Ian McEwan. This is my third McEwan book this summer.

They have each been interesting stories, amazing writing, though I can't say I've loved every one of them. I do think a lot about what this writer is doing. He writes his female characters amazingly accurately, for instance.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #807 on: August 21, 2016, 08:50:07 AM »
I'm still in that post-book haze where reality doesn't fully kick in
I am (again) currently starting the last book of the book girl series, one of the most reality-haze series I know of. Its often painfully and sometimes painfully cute and I just adore Tohko.
(The author takes one more or less classical book, builds a similar plot and uses the book inside the plot to reveal things (or not reveal them ahem).
I feel like doing the same for fun, like taking an Shakespearian drama and put it into a SF story.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #808 on: August 22, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »
Just moved so had to put my bookshelf back together, and had a nostalgic wash of feelings about many of them.
Reread Wise Child by Monica Furlong which I hadn't read since childhood.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #809 on: August 22, 2016, 11:05:11 AM »
Blackout by Connie Willis. Doomsday Book is one of my all-time favorites, so I was excited to find some newer stuff of hers.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #810 on: August 22, 2016, 03:12:44 PM »
Finishing up "Your Money or Your Life" by Joseph Dominguez which is well known on this board, but one I had not read.  Nothing much new being a MMM adherent but still fun to see how it is presented.

Next up is "Grit" by Angela Duckworth about new research on perseverance

Continuing "Code Warriors" by Steve Budanskiy which is a history of the NSA and the Cold War

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #811 on: August 23, 2016, 04:40:15 AM »

I heard about that book recently on a Freakonomics podcast.:) Sounded interesting.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #812 on: August 23, 2016, 04:50:33 AM »

I heard about that book recently on a Freakonomics podcast.:) Sounded interesting.

I've read SO MANY articles about Grit, so many interviews with her, seen her TED talk, etc. etc., I'm curious if the book has anything new, or if it's just the same stuff she's been putting out the last 5 years or whatever.

I mean, I downloaded the book, but it's not super high on my "to read" list.  :)

But if someone's unfamiliar with Grit and the research around it (especially if they are a parent or teacher), I'd say they should absolutely read it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #813 on: August 23, 2016, 07:39:35 AM »

I've read SO MANY articles about Grit, so many interviews with her, seen her TED talk, etc. etc., I'm curious if the book has anything new, or if it's just the same stuff she's been putting out the last 5 years or whatever.

I mean, I downloaded the book, but it's not super high on my "to read" list.  :)

But if someone's unfamiliar with Grit and the research around it (especially if they are a parent or teacher), I'd say they should absolutely read it.

Yes, I came across it browsing at the bookstore before a movie last week.  Found it at my library and thought the research aspect would be good.  My wife is a teacher and we've got six kids so we fit your criteria and I assume you are implying that the research is more about kids?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #814 on: August 23, 2016, 09:05:43 PM »

Yes, I came across it browsing at the bookstore before a movie last week.  Found it at my library and thought the research aspect would be good.  My wife is a teacher and we've got six kids so we fit your criteria and I assume you are implying that the research is more about kids?

It applies to everyone, but yes, it can have a huge impact on kids if you set in that perseverance mindset young--both parents and teachers have a big influence on this.  See, the very related Mindset by Carol Dweck.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #815 on: August 23, 2016, 10:04:37 PM »
Just finished listening to two awesome books on parenting:

- Screamfree Parenting
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk

How to talk was life changing. Seriously.

Prior to that, I was reading through Iain Banks' sci-fi. I'm going to start Transition tonight.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #816 on: August 23, 2016, 10:15:04 PM »
My Brother Ron: A Personal and Social History of the Deinstitutionalization of the Mentally Ill by Clayton E. Cramer.  It's an interesting historical exploration of how America has treated the mentally ill as a policy/legal matter, supplemented with the author's personal story about his older brother who became mentally ill just as deinstitutionalization was being implemented.  Amazon's summary says:

America started a grand experiment in the 1960s: deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill. The consequences were very destructive: homelessness; a degradation of urban life; increases in violent crime rates; increasing death rates for the mentally ill. My Brother Ron tells the story of deinstitutionalization from two points of view: what happened to the author's older brother, part of the first generation of those who became mentally ill after deinstitutionalization, and a detailed history of how and why America went down this path. My Brother Ron examines the multiple strands that came together to create the perfect storm that was deinstitutionalization: a well-meaning concern about the poor conditions of many state mental hospitals; a giddy optimism by the psychiatric profession in the ability of new drugs to cure the mentally ill; a rigid ideological approach to due process that ignored that the beneficiaries would end up starving to death or dying of exposure.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #817 on: August 23, 2016, 10:42:36 PM »
Timeline by Michael Crichton. It's fun!

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #818 on: August 24, 2016, 10:19:06 PM »
Am currently reading Corduroy Mansions by Alexander McCall Smith. Quite entertaining thus far!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: August 24, 2016, 11:27:03 PM »
On a John Seymour kick. Just finished Fat of the Land, now digging into Farming for Self-Sufficiency: Independence on a Five-Acre Farm by John and Sally Seymour.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #820 on: August 24, 2016, 11:51:41 PM »
In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #821 on: August 25, 2016, 01:37:18 AM »
Prior to that, I was reading through Iain Banks' sci-fi. I'm going to start Transition tonight.
Scratch the sci-fi. Reading John Gardner's Building Classic Small Craft. Freaking AWESOME read.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #822 on: August 29, 2016, 02:21:09 AM »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #823 on: August 29, 2016, 02:27:23 AM »
I just read this and James Altucher sounds interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/fashion/james-altucher-self-help-guru.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=2

He's not.

I read his blog for several years, probably 2011-2014... then he got pretty big and with that came pretentiousness, and a desire for more growth--more outlandish clickbait titles, for example.  I think he's a fairly fake individual, not authentic at all, unfortunately.

For example, he split with his second wife in late 2015, and that's what lead to him getting rid of all his stuff and bumming on friend's couches.  But he spins it in that article as "practicing what he preaches" with regards to minimalism.  How come he didn't practice it before the split then?

That's my short summary of him.  Very overrated. :)

I will read his book Choose Yourself later today.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17977529-choose-yourself

Interestingly enough, my review of it is the #1 rated review there on Goodreads.  ;)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: August 29, 2016, 02:31:52 AM »
I just read this and James Altucher sounds interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/fashion/james-altucher-self-help-guru.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=2

He's not.

I read his blog for several years, probably 2011-2014... then he got pretty big and with that came pretentiousness, and a desire for more growth--more outlandish clickbait titles, for example.  I think he's a fairly fake individual, not authentic at all, unfortunately.

For example, he split with his second wife in late 2015, and that's what lead to him getting rid of all his stuff and bumming on friend's couches.  But he spins it in that article as "practicing what he preaches" with regards to minimalism.  How come he didn't practice it before the split then?

That's my short summary of him.  Very overrated. :)

I will read his book Choose Yourself later today.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17977529-choose-yourself

Interestingly enough, my review of it is the #1 rated review there on Goodreads.  ;)

Haha. I will reserve judgement until I have started reading the book.:)

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #825 on: August 29, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »
Astonish Me- a peak into the world of a ballet dancer and her life after

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #826 on: August 29, 2016, 10:27:51 PM »
Lust and Wonder by Augusten Burroughs.  I read his first two memoirs, so might as well complete the trilogy. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #827 on: August 29, 2016, 10:48:54 PM »
I'm now reading Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande.  An MMM user recommended it in another thread, and I can't seem to re-find that thread to thank them!  Gawande, a practicing surgeon, takes a fresh look at aging and end-of-life care.  The modern system of medicine has a tendency to extend suffering and sacrifice the patient's autonomy in favor of safety.  Gawande argues that what most elderly patients want is quality of life and respect for their dignity.

Update:  Turns out there's an entire MMM thread devoted to this book.  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-book-club/being-mortal-by-atul-gawande/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:58:13 PM by LeRainDrop »

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #828 on: August 30, 2016, 02:19:31 AM »
I'm now reading Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande.  An MMM user recommended it in another thread, and I can't seem to re-find that thread to thank them!  Gawande, a practicing surgeon, takes a fresh look at aging and end-of-life care.  The modern system of medicine has a tendency to extend suffering and sacrifice the patient's autonomy in favor of safety.  Gawande argues that what most elderly patients want is quality of life and respect for their dignity.

Update:  Turns out there's an entire MMM thread devoted to this book.  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-book-club/being-mortal-by-atul-gawande/
Loved this book! Changed my outlook on my life, my parent's life, my wife's parent's life. Awesome! Can't get any of them to touch it, though. 'Tis a shame.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #829 on: September 06, 2016, 05:06:27 AM »
Got about 40 pages into Transition by Iain Banks. I dig his stuff, its entertaining. Perhaps sometimes a bit drivelly -but, mostly entertaining. Mid-read I got this overwhelming feeling of fuckthisshit. Happens sometimes. So, done with it.

Just started reading Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. This is exciting for me. I used to read a shit ton of this very old stuff. Always enjoyed the scrumplestiltskins out of it. Been away on a mental vacation (blaming it on my job being so damn unchallenging) devouring sci-fi for probably 3 years. Tons of good shit from the 50s, 60s, 70s. Done with that, now.

I have some shit to learn. So, ponying up and getting my learn on.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #830 on: September 06, 2016, 05:16:34 AM »
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #831 on: September 11, 2016, 08:53:17 AM »

This is on my to read later list. How do you like it?

Right now I'm reading Beyond: Our Future in Space by Chris Impey.
It is FASCINATING!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #832 on: September 11, 2016, 01:44:26 PM »

This is on my to read later list. How do you like it?

Um.. it was okay.  Overhyped, IMO, so I was probably expecting too much. 

It's like reading 1984 now, also, with how it's supposed to be set in the future, and futuristic, but is now in our past (it was written in '92, so before the first web browser, and set in a vague future time, but there are people who fought in Vietnam and stuff, so it seems set in the early 2000s-ish).

Some cute linguistic ideas, and the Snow Crash idea itself reminded me of the Nexus series of books.  Which was just better, IMO, if you're looking for that type of scifi/fiction combo.  :)

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #833 on: September 11, 2016, 03:35:41 PM »

Um.. it was okay.  Overhyped, IMO, so I was probably expecting too much. 

It's like reading 1984 now, also, with how it's supposed to be set in the future, and futuristic, but is now in our past (it was written in '92, so before the first web browser, and set in a vague future time, but there are people who fought in Vietnam and stuff, so it seems set in the early 2000s-ish).

Some cute linguistic ideas, and the Snow Crash idea itself reminded me of the Nexus series of books.  Which was just better, IMO, if you're looking for that type of scifi/fiction combo.  :)

I kinda felt the same way- I liked it but not nearly as much as everyone else seemed to. I quite like a lot of Stephenson's other work, specifically Cryptonomicon, but also The Diamond Age and Anathem. It seems like Snow Crash is his most well known book but definitely not his best IMO.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #834 on: September 12, 2016, 03:28:31 PM »
The Winter People - Jennifer McMahon. I really enjoyed it and read it in one sitting.

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #835 on: September 14, 2016, 04:06:33 PM »
Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. So, so good.

I've heard so much praise for this for five or six years now... but he's only got two out of 5 out.

At that rate, he won't be done for another decade!

It's been on my Evernote Books To Read list for years and years.  But I won't cave!

I made the mistake of reading Game of Thrones lately.  All done with the series, now I have to wait for more.  Ugh.

I shouldn't have broken my policy of reading from an incomplete series.

YA Fantasy. Loving it. Also excited that its a completed trilogy, so no waiting on sequels.

Way of Kings was so great and and 2nd was even better.  The Stormlight Archives will go down as goat when it is done, but ya only two books out is frustrating.

Currently reading Dune:Messiah.  Don't know why but I am struggling to get through this.  Dune is one of my all time favorites but this so far is very thin on plot and heavy on the philosophy.  I do like how Herbert writes the traditional hero's journey and then just flips the script completely.  I will probably read this one and then decide whether I want to continue the series.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #836 on: September 20, 2016, 08:37:10 AM »
I read part of 'Hall of Small Mammals' by Thomas Pierce, then put it down. It was pretentious and the man doesn't understand the concept of a story having a beginning, middle, and end. Very frustrating.

ThreadCookie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #837 on: September 20, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »
I'm reading The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth which I suspect is a pen name but would be awesome if it wasn't! It's written in a sort of fake old English and takes a lot of concentration to get through. I'm enjoying it so far!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #838 on: September 20, 2016, 04:08:55 PM »

Started the first one yesterday.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #839 on: September 20, 2016, 08:41:51 PM »
Read some things this summer

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #840 on: September 20, 2016, 11:56:50 PM »
Oh god, I just finished The Obelisk Gate, second book in The Broken Earth series by N.K. Jemisin. So good. I read the first book in the trilogy a few months ago, and howled when I realized the series wasn't completed. I managed to miss the publication date for the second book, and found it by happenstance on Sunday. Completed it early today. I've basically put my life on hold to finish this book.

Now I have to wait for the third. So impatient.

I'm also impatient for Patrick Rothfuss to hurry the fuck up, and publish Kingkiller Chronicles book 3. And for Brandon Sanderson to publish The Stormlight Chronicles book 3. And I still have a thread of hope Melanie Rawn will publish the final book in the Exiles trilogy. I'm wavering on Rothfuss, but I trust Sanderson to produce. Basically, I'm in thrall to authors. They own my imagination, and much of my angst.

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #841 on: September 20, 2016, 11:59:48 PM »
Oh god, I just finished The Obelisk Gate, second book in The Broken Earth series by N.K. Jemisin. So good. I read the first book in the trilogy a few months ago, and howled when I realized the series wasn't completed. I managed to miss the publication date for the second book, and found it by happenstance on Sunday. Completed it early today. I've basically put my life on hold to finish this book.

I'm also impatient for Patrick Rothfuss to hurry the fuck up, and publish Kingkiller Chronicles book 3. And for Brandon Sanderson to publish The Stormlight Chronicles book 3. And I still have a thread of hope Melanie Rawn will publish the final book in the Exiles trilogy. I'm wavering on Rothfuss, but I trust Sanderson to produce. Basically, I'm in thrall to authors. They own my imagination, and much of my angst.

Ha, this is why I hate starting unfinished series.  I've vowed to never start an unfinished series ever again.  Too many good books to leave myself in that agony, plus I never remember as much about the earlier books when I have to wait too long for the next one. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #842 on: September 21, 2016, 12:17:11 AM »

At least she seems to write fast.

From Wikipedia:

The Inheritance trilogy:
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (2010)
The Broken Kingdoms (2010)
The Kingdom of Gods (2011)

Dreamblood series:
The Killing Moon (2012)
The Shadowed Sun (2012)

The Broken Earth trilogy:
The Fifth Season (August 2015)
The Obelisk Gate (August 2016)

So you have maybe a year, at most, possibly sooner?  Based on her previous speed in those other series, at least (this year gap was the longest so far, so maybe it'll increase).

Much better than the 3-5 year gaps from some authors.  :)

Added this series to my list to get when the final one is out!  (Assuming I like her Inheritance trilogy--halfway through the first one, pretty good so far.)

Asara90

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ISO Certification Service
« Reply #843 on: September 21, 2016, 01:24:04 AM »
A History of Beer and Brewing - Ian Spencer Hornsey

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #844 on: September 21, 2016, 02:25:31 AM »
Ha, this is why I hate starting unfinished series.  I've vowed to never start an unfinished series ever again.  Too many good books to leave myself in that agony, plus I never remember as much about the earlier books when I have to wait too long for the next one.

I get your point, but also know that when people do this, the series will not get finished.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #845 on: September 22, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »

I get your point, but also know that when people do this, the series will not get finished.

With the exception of Rothfuss, I don't mind reading an unfinished series. I'm reading so many series and other books at once I'm not that bothered to wait awhile. Even if the series IS finished I often don't get to the next book for a few months or more. Maybe it's an attention thing. Even when I sit down to read I read a chapter from one book, then a chapter from another, then a page or two of a third. This is especially true for non-fiction books and maybe my brain just needs time between topics to absorb the info. The only time when this doesn't apply is when I'm in the last 1/3rd of a really engaging fiction book.

It's actually getting worse over time and quite annoying.

But Rothfuss!! Dammit! Taking forever and not having a deadline for that book makes my heart hurt!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #846 on: September 22, 2016, 05:28:40 PM »
But Rothfuss!! Dammit! Taking forever and not having a deadline for that book makes my heart hurt!

Which is why I have book 2 on the "To be read" shelf along with Sheppard's Crown and The Kindly Ones.  I'm just stressed that they won't finish well.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #847 on: September 23, 2016, 01:41:06 AM »
Hi all,

I just started "the empathy problem" by Gavin extence. About a hedge fund manager driven by money, power and success who discovers he has a brain tumour. He tries to ignore it but the tumour has other ideas, and seems to be affecting his personality, making him less unlikeable! Funny and very readable so far.

I just finished "free capital" by Guy Thomas which many here might like. 12 successful private investors are interviewed. It's.about investing but more about the psychological traits of the investors.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #848 on: September 23, 2016, 07:28:44 AM »
Just finishing up "Undeniable, Evolution and the Science of Creation" - Bill Nye

Started to read "The Selfish Gene."

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #849 on: October 01, 2016, 07:27:41 AM »
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

About half way through--very quick, fun read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, its funny.

But not funny that it pops up every time as unread, even after the 5th time :( Ill try if this post helps.