Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762392 times)

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #750 on: April 14, 2016, 09:07:12 AM »
The Lord of the Rings.

For the third time in my life.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #751 on: April 15, 2016, 07:21:28 AM »
"A Tale of Two Cities", Dickens, via guttenberg.org download.
Love gutenberg.org. Somebody mentioned it recently and reminded me about it. I just downloaded An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith from there.

I downloaded several books from that site a few years ago.  So in an attempt to read through what I already have, I'm about 20% into Anna Karenina, but I'm not sure I'll make it through.  Pretty boring so far, TBH.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #752 on: April 15, 2016, 11:08:32 AM »
Long Russian novels just may not be your thing (the fall I had to read Crime and Punishment was one of the longer, more painful periods of my life) but one thing to keep in mind is that the translations of non-English language books on Gutenberg have to be out of copyright so they are quite old and often in the ornate Victorian style or even censored to cut "dirty parts" which the English language publishers didn't approve of. It can be worth trying another translation (there is a good new one of Anna Karenina) to see if the issue is the book or the translation.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #753 on: April 15, 2016, 10:28:50 PM »
Interesting thought.  I liked Crime and Punishment.  Hadn't thought about the vintage of the translation.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #754 on: April 16, 2016, 07:37:14 PM »
City on Fire, it's great but my new brain is really struggling with this one, old me would've devoured this in 3 days.

I've been reading this on and off since January, for some reason it's a lot to absorb. I'm interested, I'll finish it, but I've been reading other things as well. Currently reading Maggie Nelson's "The Argonauts", and as a bonus she's featured in the latest New Yorker.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #755 on: April 17, 2016, 12:57:57 AM »
After The Aeronaut's Windlass last week, I just finished The Billionaire's Vinegar.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #756 on: April 19, 2016, 06:41:43 AM »
I've just started 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do - Amy Morin. I did CBT a few years ago and so far this is a nice refresher.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #757 on: April 19, 2016, 09:35:38 PM »

dunno why everybody says this is so unreadable, def (so far) the funnest story I've read in like a long time

bought a copy so I wouldn't have to take my friend's 1st ed. on the PCT. 183 pages done (so far), & I ripped em out this afternoon

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #758 on: April 19, 2016, 09:37:10 PM »
also
made it all the way to the 1300's
but
I think I left my copy of History of Western Phil in Madison :'-( :'-(

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #759 on: April 20, 2016, 06:57:38 AM »
'Career of Evil' by Robert Galbraith, aka J.K. Rowling.

Gone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #760 on: April 20, 2016, 05:33:38 PM »
The Ballad of the White Horse by G.K. Chesterton.

I want to memorize it.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #761 on: April 26, 2016, 02:50:18 PM »
Psychology Today

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #762 on: April 26, 2016, 09:09:53 PM »
It came highly recommended from another thread. I even picked it up at Barnes and Noble. Boy I have missed that store. So much more satisfying than Amazon. No comparison really. I don't enjoy hanging out at Amazon

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #763 on: April 27, 2016, 02:11:00 AM »
Linwood Barclay - Promise Falls 1 and 2.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #764 on: May 01, 2016, 10:51:07 AM »
I am reading a scrubby book! Rising: Strategies for the Broke, the At-Risk, and Those Who Love Them. It's free today and tomorrow: http://www.amazon.com/Rising-Strategies-Broke-At-Risk-Those/dp/151874043X

Me too!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #765 on: May 01, 2016, 11:39:02 AM »
I just finished Dan Lyons' Disrupted: my misadventure in the start ip bubble.

In this true story, a 51 year old tech journalist laid off  from Newsweek, goes out to work with the youngsters in a tech start up company. The culture there is chaotic and ridiculous, in his eyes. The book covers his year long stint at th company.

Its good insight into the tech starnup world where we are led to believe poor management, idiosyncratic activities, and youth worship reign.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #766 on: May 01, 2016, 12:18:38 PM »
I am reading a scrubby book! Rising: Strategies for the Broke, the At-Risk, and Those Who Love Them. It's free today and tomorrow: http://www.amazon.com/Rising-Strategies-Broke-At-Risk-Those/dp/151874043X

Me too!

I just downloaded it too.  I'm just finishing the first chapter - go Scrubby!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #767 on: May 02, 2016, 01:48:01 AM »
In the Blood - Lisa Unger. I read this yesterday and really enjoyed it even though the twist was a little obvious.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #768 on: May 02, 2016, 03:14:44 PM »
Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers. Enjoyable, though so far pretty basic (although I am a nurse interested in holistic health, YMMV). The irony though is that reading about stress is making me stressed.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #769 on: May 02, 2016, 03:38:07 PM »
The Leviathan Effect. I meant to check out Leviathan Wakes and didn't realize my mistake until I got a third of the way in. I think this book seems better so I'm happy for the mistake.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #770 on: May 02, 2016, 08:23:09 PM »
It came highly recommended from another thread. I even picked it up at Barnes and Noble. Boy I have missed that store. So much more satisfying than Amazon. No comparison really. I don't enjoy hanging out at Amazon

Ugh. I got stuck in a gumption trap and couldn't finish that POS book.

I'm reading Lonesome Dove right now after finishing The Son for the umpteenth time.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #771 on: May 02, 2016, 08:38:14 PM »
Currently reading "I Want to Live: The Diary of a Young Girl in Stalin's Russia" by Nina Lugovskaya

Im finding it pretty interesting to see that teenage girls have the same worries if they are living in Stalinist Russia or modern times. Lost of complaints about my parents dont understand me, what should i wear, does this boy like me ect.

But is also interesting reading her take on different things happening during this time in Russia  and how it affects her day to day life.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #772 on: May 02, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
I'm one-third of the way into The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown.  This is an incredible read.  I'm totally enthralled by the story.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #773 on: May 04, 2016, 11:54:08 PM »
Thanks for filing the last few months with good recommendations guys. I'm sad I'm at the end though.
I read When I'm Gone by Emily Bleeker. Good story, not my favorite writing. Kind of like p.s I love you.

Without your recs I'm stuck browsing overdrive. . . Wish me luck!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #774 on: May 15, 2016, 10:46:05 AM »
A lot of what I read is work-related, but a few lately:

"As You Wish" by Cary Elwes--watched the Princess Bride recently for the first time in years and decided it would be fun to read Elwes' memoir of filming the movie. It was a quick, fun read--apparently the set was as good-natured as the movie, so there wasn't a lot of drama--but it was interesting to see behind the scenes. Elwes and Mandy Patinkin apparently spent every moment they weren't actually filming rehearsing for the big dueling scene at the Cliffs of Insanity, so I wondered if there would have been more stories if he had had more downtime.

"Pretty Good Number One" which is a very good-natured memoir by a Seattle food writer of his adventures eating his way through Tokyo with his young daughter.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #775 on: May 15, 2016, 08:35:16 PM »
I'm one-third of the way into The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown.  This is an incredible read.  I'm totally enthralled by the story.

I just finished The Boys in the Boat today and am wholeheartedly recommending it to all my friends.  It is the incredible, true story of a University of Washington crew team of the early 1930's who overcame significant obstacles to go for the gold in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.  This is far and away the best book I've read since Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #776 on: May 17, 2016, 09:00:49 AM »
'The Raven King' by Maggie Stiefvater. The author is a mess on social media, and I'm never reading another book of hers after this one, but hot damn does she write some nice prose.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #777 on: May 17, 2016, 09:36:57 AM »
Behind the Beautiful Forevers.  - Katherine Bo.  Pulitzer Price 2012.   The best book I've read in the past five years.  Just stunning writing.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #778 on: May 17, 2016, 09:38:46 AM »
The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk  really interesting book about trauma

CintranGhola

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #779 on: May 21, 2016, 05:22:05 AM »
I just finished Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs by Johann Hari.  It was a super interesting read, especially to me, knowing near nothing about the history of drug laws in the US or elsewhere.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #780 on: May 24, 2016, 09:55:58 AM »
Just finished "Bird" by Rita Murphy. An odd, short book, but it definitely had a particular magic to it. Recommended if you're feeling whimsical and/or melancholy.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #781 on: May 24, 2016, 11:10:40 AM »

Yeesh.. memories of high school.  Zen and also "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest"

For some reason, Hemingway and Conrad resonated more with me than the self indulgent boomer stuff.
Even Catcher in the Rye and Gatsby were better.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #782 on: May 25, 2016, 09:34:36 PM »
I seem to have given up on Anna Karinena.  Made the mistake of watching the recent movie and it was so God-awful that it ruined the novel for me.  IDK, maybe I'll try again once I've shaken the memory of that horrid film from my mind.

Now reading The Sea Wolf by Jack London.  Much more enjoyable.  I'm also trying to read Biomechanics and Physical Training of the Horse, but it's more technical like a text book, so I need to be in more of a studying frame of mind for that.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #783 on: May 29, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »
The After Party by Anton Disclafani.  About 50s-era Texas wives with money and one single woman. Good so far, 50 pages in.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #784 on: June 03, 2016, 10:49:06 AM »
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

YA Fantasy. Loving it. Also excited that its a completed trilogy, so no waiting on sequels.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #785 on: June 04, 2016, 03:44:59 PM »
I finally finished Homer's Odyssey. I have been trying to read this thing on and off for the last 30 years--have read many adaptations and "inspired by" works over the years, but not the original. Even this time around I bogged down halfway through and had to put it aside for a couple months, but I'm glad I persevered. Not sure how I'm going to follow that up...maybe a nice mystery novel!

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #786 on: June 08, 2016, 10:16:53 AM »
I'm reading the first book of Robert Caro's set of door stoppers about L.B.J.

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #787 on: June 22, 2016, 10:41:26 AM »
The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #788 on: June 22, 2016, 11:21:30 AM »
Just read Michael Pollan's A Place of My Own in basically one sitting last night. Great book - very informative about the history of architecture and related fields told through Pollan's background research as he builds himself a writing shed in his backyard. I grabbed it because it was the only Pollan ebook I hadn't read that didn't have a wait from the library, not realising that it predates most of the other works I've read. In fact, there's not a word about food in the whole thing, which shocks me as he's hung his hat on food and nothing else the last ten years.

I'm on to Botany next. On a similar vein, Second Nature looks good but none of my libraries have it - anybody read it?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #789 on: June 22, 2016, 11:30:25 AM »
I read that last month in Barcelona and enjoyed it enough to borrow the second one but not enough to finish that one when my holds for Brandon Sanderson and Joe Abercrombie came in. Will you be continuing on through the remaining forty books?

A week and a half ago I finished the First Law trilogy by Abercrombie, then read the Red Country and his entire other series, the Shattered Sea books, waiting for Best Served Cold. Now I'm halfway though that one. The First Law books are the best by far, though they're all enjoyable page-turners. Red Country feels very western, though I think it doesn't blend fantasy and western as well as Sanderson's second Mistborn trilogy. By the time I got through it I was a bit sick of the "accomplished killer tries to be a better man" trope because it's the default behavior of one of the main characters through all three of the First Law trilogy. Sure enough, Best Served Cold has one too. Each book in his other trilogy has at least one such character too - they're starting to all feel like the same book in many ways.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #790 on: June 23, 2016, 02:35:37 AM »
I read that last month in Barcelona and enjoyed it enough to borrow the second one but not enough to finish that one when my holds for Brandon Sanderson and Joe Abercrombie came in. Will you be continuing on through the remaining forty books?
I strongly recommend that. And his other books.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #791 on: June 23, 2016, 07:54:36 AM »
59 Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot by Richard Wiseman.

Kax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #792 on: June 23, 2016, 09:00:56 AM »
"Happier at Home" by Gretchen Rubin

anngrant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #793 on: June 23, 2016, 10:51:57 AM »
The Witch of Portobello by Paulo Coelho:_)

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #794 on: June 23, 2016, 01:09:29 PM »
Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey.   They write a decent gritty, realistic-ish sort of space opera series.    Made into the tv series The Expanse.
Well written enough that I will be reading on into the series.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #795 on: June 23, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
I've discovered the Jack Reacher series and I'm reading those as quick as I can get them in e-book form from the library.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #796 on: June 23, 2016, 10:24:37 PM »
The Green Road, by Anne Enright. A sprawling novel about an Irish family. Gorgeously written.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #797 on: June 23, 2016, 10:32:58 PM »
Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. So, so good.

Gribble752

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #798 on: June 28, 2016, 04:36:45 AM »
The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More by Chris Anderson.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #799 on: June 29, 2016, 12:34:02 AM »
Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. So, so good.

I've heard so much praise for this for five or six years now... but he's only got two out of 5 out.

At that rate, he won't be done for another decade!

It's been on my Evernote Books To Read list for years and years.  But I won't cave!

I made the mistake of reading Game of Thrones lately.  All done with the series, now I have to wait for more.  Ugh.

I shouldn't have broken my policy of reading from an incomplete series.

Thus why I just downloaded all of these:
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

YA Fantasy. Loving it. Also excited that its a completed trilogy, so no waiting on sequels.

Bracken Joy sold me with that last sentence!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.