Author Topic: What are you READING right now?  (Read 762408 times)

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
Re: What are you READING right now?
« Reply #550 on: November 13, 2015, 06:42:44 PM »
Still chugging along with Atlas Shrugged. However, I am also reading Asgard Stories: Tales From Norse Mythology by Mabel H. Cummings via Amazon Kindle app.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #551 on: November 13, 2015, 07:34:03 PM »
Dune Messiah.

Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin

I really would've picked a different username if I'd known it was the title of a book.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #552 on: November 13, 2015, 07:48:43 PM »
The Thirteen Gun Salute by Patrick O'Brian. It's book 13 of his 21 book series (Master & Commander also known as Aubreyad *snickers*). Over half way there!

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #553 on: November 13, 2015, 08:25:04 PM »
Nothing really. I think Im on strike for the rest of the year. Staying in this world for now. Unless you count the forum. Im reading most of what is posted.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #554 on: November 13, 2015, 10:06:10 PM »
Business Adventures by John Brookes. got it off Bill Gate's recommended books for 2015.

it's a fun read!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #555 on: November 14, 2015, 06:33:39 AM »
I'm reading the Arnie autobiography and a book on clutter.

Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin

I really would've picked a different username if I'd known it was the title of a book.

I thought that is why you picked your name when I first saw you on here.:)

dalegendman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #556 on: November 15, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »
I just finished Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Really enjoyed the lessons from the book, and the context in which the book was written made it that much better. I'm open to further reading suggestions!

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #557 on: November 15, 2015, 08:59:48 PM »
I'm midway through Neil Gaiman's "Trigger Warning." Not as good as "Fragile Things," but a solid collection so far.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #558 on: November 19, 2015, 05:28:52 AM »
Shadow and Claw, by Gene Wolfe.

Hard work to read. Lots of misogyny. Not sure I'll finish the series.
Do try Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock if you have the time.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #559 on: November 19, 2015, 05:30:01 AM »
I'm reading How to be Idle - Tom Hodgkinson.

this sounds like a fun read!

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #560 on: November 19, 2015, 05:39:51 AM »
I'm reading The Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver.  I'm a datahead, so I'm enjoying it.

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #561 on: November 19, 2015, 05:41:07 AM »
I hope I'm not derailing but I need to ask you... Do you ever feel like you HAVE to finish a book you bought or someone gave you? I feel this about books but also video games and movies. Like not finishing these is a waste even if I don't like it. I'm trying to finish some books I haven't finished reading before asking for or buying something new. A book I gave up on some 4 years ago is now pretty amazing and I don't understand why I gave up on it.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #562 on: November 19, 2015, 05:54:37 AM »
I hope I'm not derailing but I need to ask you... Do you ever feel like you HAVE to finish a book you bought or someone gave you? I feel this about books but also video games and movies. Like not finishing these is a waste even if I don't like it. I'm trying to finish some books I haven't finished reading before asking for or buying something new. A book I gave up on some 4 years ago is now pretty amazing and I don't understand why I gave up on it.

nope :) a book on the shelf is never wasted. even unread. the time is just not ripe.
The Joy of Unread Books
Umberto Eco's Anti-Library

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #563 on: November 19, 2015, 06:02:26 AM »

I used to.  I stopped that, because there are way too many books, so if I continue one I don't like, I'm missing out on one I would like, and for what purpose?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

FI40

• Stubble
« Reply #564 on: November 19, 2015, 11:59:46 AM »

I used to.  I stopped that, because there are way too many books, so if I continue one I don't like, I'm missing out on one I would like, and for what purpose?

+1. I have a friend who boasts that he has never stopped partway through, and for some reason I admired that for a while, but eventually the above argument dawned on me and I started to just stop when I wanted. That, or "skim" through the rest if it's nonfiction (sometimes you find an interesting chapter).

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #565 on: November 19, 2015, 08:04:51 PM »

nope :) a book on the shelf is never wasted. even unread. the time is just not ripe.
The Joy of Unread Books
Umberto Eco's Anti-Library

Yes, exactly. There are books I used to love that now make me roll my eyes, and books that meant much more to me at a later time on a second try. (Huckleberry Finn was fine when I read it in school, and amazed me as an adult). That's the beauty of the library...if you get a book that's "not right now" you can return it...no harm, no foul.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #566 on: November 19, 2015, 10:52:23 PM »
Shadow and Claw, by Gene Wolfe.

Hard work to read. Lots of misogyny. Not sure I'll finish the series.
Do try Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock if you have the time.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a go!

Just finished Dune Messiah and now reading Negotiating with the Dead, by Margaret Atwood.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #567 on: November 19, 2015, 11:31:01 PM »
I just finished A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan. Realistic world building, with a feisty main character. Pretty good. Now I'm cruising this thread for my next book.

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
« Reply #568 on: November 19, 2015, 11:43:28 PM »
John Irving's Avenue of Mysteries
The opening chapters are as familiar as an old friend . . .

robbyfine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #569 on: November 20, 2015, 12:10:09 AM »
Celine Roberts "No One Wants You"

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #570 on: November 23, 2015, 09:24:45 AM »
I'm in the middle of reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari.

It's a cross-disciplinary examination of who we (that is, the planet's single remaining human species) are and how we came to be.  It's filled with fascinating insights and has a strong mustachian undercurrent.  One recurring theme is that humankind's perpetual search for an easier (and better) life paradoxically often unwittingly resulted in a more difficult (and worse) life.  The author argues that the same "luxury trap" that causes most members of our current generation to succumb to false promises of a better life by jumping on (and staying on) the consumerist treadmill also operated as a force of change that shaped the history of our species in dramatic ways (such as humankind's shift from foraging to agriculture, a Faustian bargain in which members of our species sacrificed health, leisure and security for perceived benefits that in fact never arrived).

Many of these ideas are not new, but the author, using a fresh perspective, ties them together in novel (and often provocative) ways.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #571 on: November 23, 2015, 09:32:28 AM »
I just finished A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan. Realistic world building, with a feisty main character. Pretty good. Now I'm cruising this thread for my next book.
I read that a few months ago!
You know there's a sequel right? :) Title is, iirc, The Tropic of Serpents.
Another fun dragons read, if you're in the market, is the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. First book is called His Majesty's Dragon. Basically Master and Commander style Napoleonic war + dragons = awesomesauce.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
What are you READING right now?
« Reply #572 on: November 23, 2015, 09:48:12 AM »
I'm in the middle of reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari.

Is it entertainingly written?  This is on my guilt list, but I keep thinking it'll be a slog.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #573 on: November 23, 2015, 10:04:32 AM »
Manifold : Time - Stephen Baxter

Best book I've read in recent memory.  Excellent "hard" sci-fi.  Lots of lessons in that book...

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #574 on: November 23, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »

Is it entertainingly written?  This is on my guilt list, but I keep thinking it'll be a slog.

I think the writing is pretty entertaining.  It's definitely accessible and not like a dry academic publication.  I'm having fun reading it -- it doesn't feel like work to read.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #575 on: November 23, 2015, 10:07:17 AM »
Another fun dragons read, if you're in the market, is the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. First book is called His Majesty's Dragon. Basically Master and Commander style Napoleonic war + dragons = awesomesauce.

I did NOT know there was a sequel. Thanks very much! Nor have I heard about the His Magesty's Dragon series. I'm behind the times, I guess. I used to read a lot of dragon stuff, and Anne McCaffery will always be my gold standard. I'm now 35, but if some god came out of the sky today, and offered to make me a dragonrider of Pern, I'd be gone in an instant. Bronze of course, though I'm humble enough to suffer a brown dragon.

You said somewhere that you read fanfic. I love the stuff, though my tolerance for pieces generated by lovelorn 14 year olds is really going down. If you follow Sherlock, I'd recommend The Least of All Possible Mistakes by Rage Prufrock on AO3. The authour is amazing.   

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #576 on: November 23, 2015, 10:12:50 AM »

I did NOT know there was a sequel. Thanks very much! Nor have I heard about the His Magesty's Dragon series. I'm behind the times, I guess. I used to read a lot of dragon stuff, and Anne McCaffery will always be my gold standard. I'm now 35, but if some god came out of the sky today, and offered to make me a dragonrider of Pern, I'd be gone in an instant. Bronze of course, though I'm humble enough to suffer a brown dragon.

You said somewhere that you read fanfic. I love the stuff, though my tolerance for pieces generated by lovelorn 14 year olds is really going down. If you follow Sherlock, I'd recommend The Least of All Possible Mistakes by Rage Prufrock on AO3. The authour is amazing.   
Dude, I'm pretty sure most people would take the offer to be a dragonrider of Pern. ;)
Fun fact, Naomi Novik (of the Temeraire series, which I do recommend quite a lot) is a fanfic author too, and a founding member of the OTW/the AO3. \o/
I'm familiar with Rage Prufrock, but have not read all their (her?) stuff by any stretch of the means; I'll check that one out, though! :D
(And I know what you mean... but considering it's all available for free, generated with love, I'm happy to sort by 'kudos' and recommendations and sort through the slush pile ;) )

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #577 on: November 23, 2015, 10:46:07 AM »
Reading "A confusion of prices" by Garth Nix. I love Nix, and am always excited to read something new to me by him. Still too early to make an opinion. Like a lot of his other works, it's a very rich universe you're just dropped into, so it's taking me a little bit to catch on to everything. How the action and character development shapes up has yet to be determined.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #578 on: November 23, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
Children of Dune.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #579 on: November 24, 2015, 01:01:18 AM »
I've settled on Fool's Quest, but Robin Hobb. Amazing.

Assassins Apprentice was first published when I was a socially outcast and miserable teenager. I lived on the edge of suicide for a long time, and the Fitz and Fool series was one of the few things that could give me respite from the misbalance in my brain. That book sang to me. And all the sequels have been the same.

I've been waitlisted for a library copy of this new volume since August. In those 3 months I've gone from place 999 to 203. I love my life now and I no longer need that escape to keep my sanity, but I sure want to revisit that world. What can I say - my restraint snapped.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #580 on: November 24, 2015, 05:20:11 AM »
Oh yes, Dragon Rider ^^ Long long not read.

I've settled on Fool's Quest, but Robin Hobb. Amazing.

Assassins Apprentice was first published when I was a socially outcast and miserable teenager. I lived on the edge of suicide for a long time, and the Fitz and Fool series was one of the few things that could give me respite from the misbalance in my brain. That book sang to me. And all the sequels have been the same.

I've been waitlisted for a library copy of this new volume since August. In those 3 months I've gone from place 999 to 203. I love my life now and I no longer need that escape to keep my sanity, but I sure want to revisit that world. What can I say - my restraint snapped.
Try to write that to the author. Seriously. Some hate it. But most are happy to know they could help. A book is always a part of the soul of the writer after all.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #581 on: November 24, 2015, 06:16:19 AM »
Making my way through Tamora Pierce's "The Immortals" quartet, and really regretting I didn't find these as a voracious pre-teen reader; better late than never, I suppose.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #582 on: November 24, 2015, 11:36:29 AM »
Making my way through Tamora Pierce's "The Immortals" quartet, and really regretting I didn't find these as a voracious pre-teen reader; better late than never, I suppose.

Some of my favorite all time books.

Have you read the Alana quartet? And know that they are followed by the Protector of the Small quartet? All of them are well worth the read, but I think the Immortals are my favorite.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #583 on: November 24, 2015, 04:11:01 PM »
Manifold : Time - Stephen Baxter

Best book I've read in recent memory.  Excellent "hard" sci-fi.  Lots of lessons in that book...

I just finished this one too, it was great. That ending was so creative! I got turned on to him by Evolution. Now I'm wondering if he has written a bad book. I am on Manifold: Space now.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #584 on: November 24, 2015, 09:28:27 PM »

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #585 on: November 25, 2015, 10:07:18 AM »
I just finished this one too, it was great. That ending was so creative! I got turned on to him by Evolution. Now I'm wondering if he has written a bad book. I am on Manifold: Space now.

I've already got some other books lined up, but with as good as Manifold: Time was, I do intend on eventually getting to Manifold: Space as well!  :-)

Carini

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #586 on: November 25, 2015, 07:18:59 PM »
The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.- Bill Bryson

Probably the funniest thing I've ever read, and I read a lot. Embarrassingly funny because it makes me laugh out loud in public.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #587 on: November 25, 2015, 07:28:47 PM »

Probably the funniest thing I've ever read, and I read a lot. Embarrassingly funny because it makes me laugh out loud in public.

My new next book!  Bill Bryson is great, and I could use some humor.

Thanks!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #588 on: November 25, 2015, 07:55:07 PM »
Just finished:

The Millionaire Mind by Tom Stanley

In progress:

Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation by Sharon Astyk (recommended by someone elsewhere on this forum)

A Country Child by Alison Uttley
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:23:25 PM by jengod »

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #589 on: November 26, 2015, 11:15:50 AM »

Have you read the Alana quartet? And know that they are followed by the Protector of the Small quartet? All of them are well worth the read, but I think the Immortals are my favorite.

I started with the Immortals because it was what was immediately available from the library on my Kindle. I think it's out of order, but as soon as I finish the last two books I'm starting on the other series! For YA, it's pretty great.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #590 on: November 26, 2015, 11:29:35 AM »

I started with the Immortals because it was what was immediately available from the library on my Kindle. I think it's out of order, but as soon as I finish the last two books I'm starting on the other series! For YA, it's pretty great.

It goes:
Alana
Immortals (Daine)
Protector (Kel)

And there are 4 of each. They are technically stand alone, but I recommend reading Alana before Protector, otherwise LOTS will get spoiled.

dachs

• Bristles
« Reply #591 on: November 26, 2015, 11:32:09 AM »
I'm currently reading "Why Nations Fail". And I'm still wondering wether or not we also have some sort of extractive (and not so inclusive) system.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
    • Financial Literacy Conversations
« Reply #592 on: December 07, 2015, 10:45:05 AM »
Switch, by Chip and Dan Heath.

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #593 on: December 07, 2015, 10:55:10 AM »
"The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul," by Douglas Adams. Hilarious!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #594 on: December 07, 2015, 10:58:35 AM »
"Uprooted" by Naomi Novik. I am in love with this book so far. It's a level of quality I don't find in a lot of fantasy writing. Highly recommend.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #595 on: December 07, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »
Making Home by Sharon Astyk. I just read her Independence Days book and loved it, so jumped right into her other stuff.

hobs42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #596 on: December 07, 2015, 05:30:41 PM »
This I Believe Edited by Jay Allison and Dan Gediman

it's a collection of essays written by the famous and the normal regarding their personal beliefs. I highly recommend it; provides a lot to chew on.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #597 on: December 08, 2015, 10:25:04 AM »
"Uprooted" by Naomi Novik. I am in love with this book so far. It's a level of quality I don't find in a lot of fantasy writing. Highly recommend.

Well, I read ~275 pages yesterday afternoon to finish out the book. Needless to say, it continued to be enjoyable. Again: recommended.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #598 on: December 08, 2015, 02:25:17 PM »

Well, I read ~275 pages yesterday afternoon to finish out the book. Needless to say, it continued to be enjoyable. Again: recommended.

You sold me!

Just finished reading Duct Tape Parenting, and this:

My new next book!  Bill Bryson is great, and I could use some humor.

Thanks!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #599 on: December 08, 2015, 02:55:29 PM »

Just ordered the first 3 Temeraire novels for my kindle. Because $9.99 for 3, vs 11.99 for one. Yeah, yeah, should have come from the library, but the waitlist for any popular book at the Seattle Public Library is always in the hundreds. I was literally number 999 on the waitlist for the KonMarie book. And come to think of it, it's possible the system just capped out at 3 digits. Sheesh.

On the upside, can't wait to get home! I'm smirking around, imagining the underlings looks if the knew the LT wants to squirrel home early to read dragon books.