Author Topic: What are you EATING right now?  (Read 534757 times)

jorjor

• Bristles
Re: What are you EATING right now?
« Reply #1250 on: December 28, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »
Made acorn squash stuffed with sausage and apple tonight tonight. It was delicious!

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #1251 on: January 08, 2016, 03:56:09 PM »
Whole wheat pita with avocado, tomato, romaine and a pickle

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #1252 on: January 08, 2016, 03:57:15 PM »
last night was mashed potatoes and stuffing with gravy (all vegan)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1253 on: January 08, 2016, 04:24:15 PM »
Will be eating homemade pizza for dinner. TGIF!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1254 on: January 09, 2016, 12:44:47 AM »
Tea and biscuits.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1255 on: January 09, 2016, 07:27:50 PM »
Have to brag on dinner tonight since it was so good:

Babyback ribs done with a dry rub, 20 minutes in the pressure cooker, and then onto the grill to get a little char and some homemade bbq sauce featuring the tomato jam I canned from garden produce last summer.

Habanero buttermilk cornbread made with the Bloody Butcher corn I grew last summer and habanero from a coworker's garden, slathered with Kerrygold butter.

Braised collards and kale with onions and ham.

Damn' it hit the spot.  Contemplating having some vanilla ice cream topped with homemade fruit preserves for dessert.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1256 on: January 14, 2016, 07:31:20 AM »
We've been on a pork carnitas kick recently. It's so cheap and so delicious. We buy a bulk amount of pork shoulder when it is reduced for quick sale at Sam's. Usually it's about 5 pounds. I think we paid $8 for the last package. We just rub it with a magical collection of spices (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder, among other things), put it in the crock pot with a little bit of orange and lemon juice and cook the heck out of it for about 10 hours. Then we shred it, put it in a glass 9X13 pan and broil it for 10 minutes. Best. dinner. ever. It can be served with rice or tortillas.

We get about 5 meals out of it, including one that is just the leftover drippings made into gravy. That's our "vegetarian" meal with just rice and a vegetable.

Seriously, I am a convert. Pork shoulder is a cheap cut of meat, and the richness of this dish stretches it even farther.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1257 on: January 14, 2016, 11:07:10 PM »
We've been on a pork carnitas kick recently. It's so cheap and so delicious. We buy a bulk amount of pork shoulder when it is reduced for quick sale at Sam's. Usually it's about 5 pounds. I think we paid $8 for the last package. We just rub it with a magical collection of spices (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder, among other things), put it in the crock pot with a little bit of orange and lemon juice and cook the heck out of it for about 10 hours. Then we shred it, put it in a glass 9X13 pan and broil it for 10 minutes. Best. dinner. ever. It can be served with rice or tortillas.

We get about 5 meals out of it, including one that is just the leftover drippings made into gravy. That's our "vegetarian" meal with just rice and a vegetable.

Seriously, I am a convert. Pork shoulder is a cheap cut of meat, and the richness of this dish stretches it even farther.

Sounds delicious and simple! I'm not sure pork shoulder is very cheap here but I'll keep an eye out in autumn/winter (too hot to run a crockpot all day in summer here).

I'm confused by what broiling is though. Google isn't much help (I've looked at a few links and I'm none the wiser because the links already seem to assume you have a basic knowledge of what a broiler is. ie the instructions start with "start your broiler" lol). Can someone translate from US to Aussie? I'm guessing it's what we call the griller in our stove/oven but then I wouldn't use a glass pan for that for fear it would crack, so I'm confused...

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1258 on: January 15, 2016, 07:10:32 AM »
A broiler is in your oven.  It's when you turn on the top heating element (or flames) only and raise the top shelf up near the top of the oven.  I usually leave the oven door cracked open when I'm broiling something.  If you're broiling meat, you do have to turn it over halfway through.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1259 on: January 15, 2016, 07:46:33 AM »

Sounds delicious and simple! I'm not sure pork shoulder is very cheap here but I'll keep an eye out in autumn/winter (too hot to run a crockpot all day in summer here).

I'm confused by what broiling is though. Google isn't much help (I've looked at a few links and I'm none the wiser because the links already seem to assume you have a basic knowledge of what a broiler is. ie the instructions start with "start your broiler" lol). Can someone translate from US to Aussie? I'm guessing it's what we call the griller in our stove/oven but then I wouldn't use a glass pan for that for fear it would crack, so I'm confused...

You can also do this on the stovetop, or just the regular oven. The goal is to at least partially Caramelize the meat and add some crispy bits - JJ is using the broiler, I use the stovetop. It is probably good even without this step, but this concentrates some of the flavor  from braising, and adds the yum mines of caramelization.

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #1260 on: January 15, 2016, 03:56:02 PM »
Vegan Taco Soup and vegan cornbread

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1261 on: January 16, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »
My usual breakfast, of 2 eggs scrambled in butter. But I recently realized that adding roasted tomatillo salsa and sour cream takes it from 'tasty' to 'divine', so that's what I'm doing today. (I normally did them with hot sauce).

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1262 on: January 18, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »

You can also do this on the stovetop, or just the regular oven. The goal is to at least partially Caramelize the meat and add some crispy bits - JJ is using the broiler, I use the stovetop. It is probably good even without this step, but this concentrates some of the flavor  from braising, and adds the yum mines of caramelization.

Yes, precisely. It is the caramelization process that makes it so delicious. Underneath my oven, I have a broiler, so I just set the oven to broil and slide it right in to that smaller compartment. Couldn't you put your crock pot outside in the summer in Australia? That's what I've started doing here when our temperatures reach the 90s or triple digits.

Pork shoulder is really successful this way because of its high fat content. I imagine other cuts wouldn't taste as good. My husband has also seen recipes for doing pork shoulder with Korean spices instead of Mexican ones. The cooking and broiler process is identical. So apparently this is a well known way of cooking that cut of meat. 

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1263 on: January 18, 2016, 04:05:06 PM »
"Soup muffins"

I basically took a jar of leftover bean soup, mixed in an egg, baking soda, some salt, and enough flour and cornmeal to get to a muffin batter consistency.  Turned out pretty good.  Little salty, but butter balances it out nicely.  And I know for next time.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1264 on: January 18, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
Fusion masaman curry chana and aloo pilaf. It's both pretty and fabulous, plus healthy and uses up leftover potatoes, and believe it or not it was more or less planned.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1265 on: January 19, 2016, 02:17:20 PM »
Brownies made from scratch - way better than a boxed mix!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1266 on: January 19, 2016, 03:00:46 PM »

And just as easy to make IMHO.

Homemade nutty granola bars. SO GOOD! Addictive...

lavagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1267 on: January 19, 2016, 03:19:26 PM »

And just as easy to make IMHO.

Homemade nutty granola bars. SO GOOD! Addictive...

Put half of the brownie batter in the pan, then place two chocolate bars, then pour the rest of the batter on top- so delicious!

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #1268 on: January 19, 2016, 03:28:28 PM »
A mushroom herb omelet, made with our chickens eggs.  A little cheese in there, too.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1269 on: January 21, 2016, 09:40:45 AM »
Oatmeal with rasins and almond slivers

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1270 on: January 21, 2016, 02:08:22 PM »
"Fridge curry" (to use things up), and fenugreek sprouts in a chili/lime/salt/sugar dressing. Good antidote to winter.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1271 on: January 21, 2016, 04:55:03 PM »
Half a t-bone steak, with grilled baby bellas and red pepper.  And a homemade granola bar for dessert.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1272 on: January 22, 2016, 02:43:03 AM »
Toasted English muffins with two vegetarian sausages and some ginger tea.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1273 on: January 22, 2016, 12:54:14 PM »
I forgot I had to take my lunch early, so nothing for another hour until I get back. Zzz.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #1274 on: January 22, 2016, 01:30:09 PM »
Breakfast and lunch is generally the same for a majority of my weekdays:

Breakfast: bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar, some milled flax seed and cinnamon OR a couple handfuls of mixed nuts OR I load up on bagels/donuts if someone brings them into the office

Lunch: leftovers OR peanut butter and honey sandwiches on 100% whole wheat
           Usually some form of fruit (apples/oranges/bananas typically)
           Mixed Nuts
           Maybe chips, but not typically

Dinner is always a free for all.  We ALWAYS have instant noodles for when we don't feel like cooking and occasionally will go out to get something to eat (usually we restrict this to weekends though).

Tonight's menu is spaghetti and meatballs (made by us of course).

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1275 on: January 22, 2016, 01:48:28 PM »
Homemade donuts - aka fried bread dough rolled in granulated sugar & nutmeg

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1276 on: January 23, 2016, 07:39:35 AM »
I do this all the time, cause I make my own bread.  I pinch off a bit of dough, fry it, and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on it, which I keep in a jar by the stove :-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1277 on: January 23, 2016, 07:45:11 AM »
Just had an egg and cheese breakfast burrito.  I'm heading out to run a 12K in a little bit, so I might splurge and get a donut on the way.  Y'know, to carbo-load.

Last night was roasted chicken with all sorts of roasted veggies to clean out the produce drawers - black radish, turnip, parsnip, fingerling potatoes, sweet potatoes and onion.  Thought we would have lots of leftovers but apparently we're gluttons because there's not much left!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1278 on: January 23, 2016, 08:40:50 AM »
I do this all the time, cause I make my own bread.  I pinch off a bit of dough, fry it, and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on it, which I keep in a jar by the stove :-)

This is the no-knead bread dough you keep in the fridge.
I like the chewy texture the donuts have. Simple but tasty. I too just pinched off small pieces of the cold dough and pan fried them (less than an inch if oil, but more than a typical pan fry)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1279 on: January 23, 2016, 12:45:11 PM »

This is the no-knead bread dough you keep in the fridge.
I like the chewy texture the donuts have. Simple but tasty. I too just pinched off small pieces of the cold dough and pan fried them (less than an inch if oil, but more than a typical pan fry)
Very similar to what I do, yummy!

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #1280 on: January 23, 2016, 04:44:17 PM »

Oh yumm!!!! Need to try this!

I am currently having homemade meatballs in tomato red wine sauce over basmati rice

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1281 on: January 23, 2016, 07:18:43 PM »
Lunch was coleslaw and a chickpea/vegetable salad*, followed by a piece of Lebanese flatbread with a fig jam spread. And because I felt like it, a piece of halva.

*included nearly half a kilo of home grown cherry tomatoes, plus home grown parsley and chives.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #1282 on: January 24, 2016, 09:35:45 AM »
Breakfast was a slice of homemade raisin bread - buttered deliciousness.

Lunch will be some leftover rice pudding with cinnamon (whatever doesnt go into my breakfast boxes for next week.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1283 on: January 24, 2016, 09:42:59 AM »
Steel cut oats with apples fried in butter. Man, apples keep a long time in the crisper drawer.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #1284 on: January 24, 2016, 09:52:22 AM »
Steel cut oats with apples fried in butter. Man, apples keep a long time in the crisper drawer.

Oh yumm!!!! Thanks for the reminder! I still have two huge apples that need to become something soon... pan fried apples with cinnamon on top of rice pudding... yay!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1285 on: January 24, 2016, 12:51:23 PM »
Lunch was steamed radishes and carrots and some cheese in a prik khing- flavored pilaf.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1286 on: January 27, 2016, 02:06:32 PM »
A salad with sunflower seeds, baked chicken, and a homemade vinaigrette. 

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #1287 on: January 28, 2016, 07:38:21 AM »
Breakfast: rice pudding cooked with milk and topped with sliced strawberries from the freezer

Lunch will be pulled pork and beef in Diana Maple BBQ sauce with a cup of Basmati rice

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1288 on: January 28, 2016, 07:42:58 AM »
lunch will be half an avocado, a hard boiled egg, roasted cauliflower, roasted sweet potato, chickpeas, and a few pieces of bacon with a curried mango tahini dressing.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #1289 on: January 28, 2016, 08:55:28 AM »
lunch will be half an avocado, a hard boiled egg, roasted cauliflower, roasted sweet potato, chickpeas, and a few pieces of bacon with a curried mango tahini dressing.

yummm!!! But... cauliflower? Won the lottery eh? ;))

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1290 on: January 28, 2016, 09:17:34 AM »

http://www.thestar.com/life/2016/01/22/cauliflower-prices-fall-back-to-earth-in-gta.html
Cauliflower is $2 at the Metro by the St Lawrence Market this week to celebrate the end of renovations ($3 at both the Leslie & Lakeshore Freshco and the Front St No Frills). 

But I admit, I bought it last week for $3 at No Frills as I needed a bulky non-starch for my lunches.  Something about knowing that the cash flow is about to open up is probably making me spendy. Even making chickpeas from dried doesn't make up for it.  :)

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #1291 on: January 28, 2016, 12:58:16 PM »

http://www.thestar.com/life/2016/01/22/cauliflower-prices-fall-back-to-earth-in-gta.html
Cauliflower is $2 at the Metro by the St Lawrence Market this week to celebrate the end of renovations ($3 at both the Leslie & Lakeshore Freshco and the Front St No Frills). 

But I admit, I bought it last week for $3 at No Frills as I needed a bulky non-starch for my lunches.  Something about knowing that the cash flow is about to open up is probably making me spendy. Even making chickpeas from dried doesn't make up for it.  :)

LOL you are becoming a big spender girl. Watch out! LOL

I admit though I saw the reduced cauliflowers all over the city and thought "hah! Loss Leaders - I learned something new!".
And may even pick one up at Metro if they look decent for some Cauliflower chickpea Curry.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1292 on: January 29, 2016, 07:59:36 PM »
Panang curry tonight with leftover turkey (from post TO marked down turkey ) and some almond sesame sauce that was extra from a stir fry last week.  Onion, eggplant, and bell peppers, all over white rice.

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #1293 on: January 29, 2016, 10:07:22 PM »
Marathon cooking session today between midday and 6pm.

I am time-shifting: cooking all Saturday afternoon to ease my work week.

In the past 6 hours I have cooked the following:

- 2 x bolognese sauces for the freezer (each to feed 6)
- giant banana bran muffins x 6 ---> freezer
- Creamy Rice Pudding for 6  ---> fridge
- homemade muesli ---> pantry
- I pulled homemade bread out of the breadmaker (though technically I put in on this morning) ---> ... countertop
- a terrine ---> freezer

So, I am basically a Time Lord.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:13:19 PM by Boganvillia »

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1294 on: January 31, 2016, 05:57:54 AM »

Yeah I've used pork forequarter for carnitas. It's often about $8 a kilo on special at Coles, maybe cheaper at the butchers or the markets. There's a little bit of skin on it, but not as much as the bits usually used for roasting.

A broiler is in your oven.  It's when you turn on the top heating element (or flames) only and raise the top shelf up near the top of the oven.  I usually leave the oven door cracked open when I'm broiling something.  If you're broiling meat, you do have to turn it over halfway through.

That's usually known as the griller here. :)

Oh, I just finished a bowl of chicken and bean soup I made earlier. I made chicken stock from a leftover BBQ chicken I bought the other day, added some fresh vegetables (celery, red onion, spring onions, zucchini, tomatoes, etc) with a few tins of beans and lentils thrown in for good measure. It's very nice.

It is a bit weird to make soup in summer, but whatever :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1295 on: January 31, 2016, 11:21:15 AM »
Sous vide rosemary beets, orange slices and an omelette (homegrown eggs) stuffed with spinach, mushroom, brie, green onions and serrano chile.  I do not regret buying 4 wedges of the $2 markdown brie.  Yum.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1296 on: January 31, 2016, 03:24:43 PM »
The dregs leftover at the bottom of a box of our kids' cereal.

pablo suarve

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1297 on: January 31, 2016, 03:38:05 PM »
A p$$$y MOD NOTE: Not acceptable
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:52:04 PM by swick »

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #1298 on: February 01, 2016, 10:54:16 AM »
Hot wings with blue cheese dip.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #1299 on: February 01, 2016, 11:28:50 AM »
I had whole wheat fussilli for lunch, baked with lots of spinach, vegetable broth, milk, pesto and cheddar cheese. Yumm!!!

And for dessert: KitKat :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!