Author Topic: What are you EATING right now?  (Read 534691 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you EATING right now?
« Reply #650 on: August 16, 2014, 07:35:35 PM »
@Astatine -- recipe please? :-)

We are having taco salads with a bed of lettuce then rice, homemade Refried beans, salsa, sour cream, homemade guacamole, and a sprinkling of broken taco chips. Can't wait to eat!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #651 on: August 16, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »
@Astatine -- recipe please? :-)

Sure! I found this recipe somewhere online and then played with it until it became this:

1 cup dried fruit (sultanas, cranberries, apricots, whatever)
1 cup rolled oats (or other rolled grains)
1/2 cup All Bran (or other bran cereal or Rice Bubbles etc)
1/2 cup of chopped nuts or seeds
1/4 cup wholemeal flour
60g oil or butter
1/4 cup of honey or sugar (optional)
1 egg
1/4 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. (Note: measurements are metric cups, so 250ml in a cup)

If using butter, melt it with the honey or sugar in the microwave and stir into dry ingredients. Then whisk the milk and egg together and stir through.

If using oil, just add the milk and egg and whisk all three ingredients together and mix in well with the dry ingredients. Press into square baking container. Bake 30 mins at around 180 degrees C, or until it starts going brown around the edges.

Cool then cut into rectangles. We cut it into 12 pieces, but whatever size takes your fancy.

Yummy variation:
Coconut and apricot - swap out the nuts for shredded coconut and only use dried apricot for the dried fruit.

It's easy to vary the flavour by changing the dried fruits and the nuts and seeds so it doesn't get boring having it week after week.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #652 on: August 16, 2014, 10:54:57 PM »
Just baked up some sweet potatoes & these zucchini fritters

What a coincidence! I made some corn zucchini fritters today myself. I probably read a recipe at some point in the past, but now I just wing it.

Shredded zucchini (look up online the method to dry this out...put in a colander with salt and keep smushing it to get the liquid out while you let it sit for about an hour...then wring out the excess liquid)
Corn kernels cut off from freshly roasted corn
Leeks and garlic (already had the food processor dirtied up so mashed some in there)
Arrowroot powder (I like to use this as a binder/thickener in a lot of stuff - is it gluten free? Sounds healthier than flour)
Whipped eggs (as a binder as well)
Salt & pepper
Cumin (this is the most important ingredient!)

Mix it all up in a bowl and cook in olive oil. Very yummy!!!

I don't like to waste anything so I used that excess liquid wrung out of the zucchinis in a green smoothie.

It was actually quite a productive cooking day to use up some aging veggies. Also made a mushroom and green onion buckwheat dish (buckwheat was getting old so I stocked the freezer with it). Prepped up some ingredients to make beet burgers for the freezer tomorrow (first time ever trying this). I had a bunch of lonely beets in my refrigerator that were begging for attention. I love the internet as you can always find something creative to do with your veggies.

All of these veggies came from my CSA and I needed to use up the batch of veggies.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:04:14 PM by Daisy »

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #653 on: August 20, 2014, 05:29:13 PM »
The veggie garden is going crazy, the last of the blackberries are coming in, and the first - very tart- apples are getting picked.

I love this time of year!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #654 on: August 29, 2014, 02:52:10 AM »
I just got in from a walk with the dog and I'm having a coffee with a handful of roasted mixed nuts.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #655 on: August 29, 2014, 04:53:05 AM »
About those fritters:

I had leftover corn on the cob which I made into corn pakoras using this recipe, http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/corn-pakora-corn-fritters/

In addition to using my leftover corn, I also found a use for that chick pea flour (also called besan or gram) that has been hanging around in the cupboard.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #656 on: August 29, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »
Just made French toast with bread that was needing to be used up.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #657 on: August 29, 2014, 03:16:45 PM »
Or how about:  What are you DRINKING right now?

A glass of my husband's homebrewed rye pale ale.  Lovely!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #658 on: August 29, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »
Or how about:  What are you DRINKING right now?

Tap water from my Nalgene...with a straw! 

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #659 on: August 30, 2014, 03:18:09 AM »
Crumpets with two black coffees.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #660 on: August 30, 2014, 09:30:55 AM »
7-Grain French Toast lathered in maple syrup, 2 sausage, and one terrific cup of coffee sweetened with cream & sugar.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #661 on: August 31, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »
Slice of Tillamook colby jack cheddar.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #662 on: August 31, 2014, 05:24:43 PM »
not eating, but seasoning some new pans and reseasoning the old. My apartment smells like flax :-/

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #663 on: August 31, 2014, 06:49:43 PM »
not eating, but seasoning some new pans and reseasoning the old. My apartment smells like flax :-/

You season with Flax oil?

Interesting timing. I made a couple of  delish deep dish pizzas for dinner in my cast iron and noticed it was time to reseason.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #664 on: August 31, 2014, 07:27:54 PM »

Interesting timing. I made a couple of  delish deep dish pizzas for dinner in my cast iron and noticed it was time to reseason.

Yes, it's the only food-safe drying (i.e. self-polymerizing) oil. Chemistry says it sets up harder and slicker than anything else.

Not that other fats won't work, of course

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #665 on: August 31, 2014, 09:06:29 PM »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #666 on: September 01, 2014, 07:26:14 AM »

Yes, it's the only food-safe drying (i.e. self-polymerizing) oil. Chemistry says it sets up harder and slicker than anything else.

Not that other fats won't work, of course

I haven't *somehow* come across this before. Thanks Russ and Arebelspy!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #667 on: September 01, 2014, 07:37:12 AM »
I made a vegetable curry and it wasn't that nice but I forced myself to finish it. Blech.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #668 on: September 02, 2014, 03:24:53 AM »
We're about to have lentil spaghetti bolegnese, with some random extras from the freezer thrown in - tomatoes that were about to go off and diced and chucked in the freezer, and a small amount of a-not-so-great experiment with pulled pork in the slow cooker, also chucked in the freezer. Pasta is homebrand spirals (my favourite of the cheapish pastas).

The spag bol sauce has (as well as the additions from the freezer) olive oil, onion, garlic, red capsicum, zuchini, grated carrot, tin of tomatoes, tomato paste, fresh herbs from our garden, vegie stock cube, paprika. Oh, and the sauteed onion and vegies were deglazed with a splash of el cheapo dry sherry.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #669 on: September 02, 2014, 04:30:52 AM »
A vegetable samosa.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #670 on: September 02, 2014, 06:02:17 PM »
Made my entire dinner from budgetbytes.com.

Dal Nirvana
Homemade Naan Bread
Rice in the rice cooker (wish I had some jasmine!)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #671 on: September 02, 2014, 06:44:17 PM »
Hot chocolate with creme de menthe. Yummy booze.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #672 on: September 04, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
Refried bean, brown rice, and sweet potato enchiladas. These are the last two survivors of what was three baking pans a few short days ago.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #673 on: September 04, 2014, 09:37:11 PM »
I've got a leg of corned lamb in the slow cooker cooking in a broth of water, vinegar, some herbs, onion with cloves, some old carrots etc. The lamb isn't very mustachian ($20 for 1.5kg, but should make 10 meals I guess?). But, I keep having the broth as a snack. ie ladle some out into a bowl. It's surprisingly tasty despite the vinegar.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #674 on: September 04, 2014, 10:28:57 PM »
Made pho tonight, since I've been working on batches of beef broth from the bones I got with my 4-H beef quarter.  It was pho-king delicious.  Added in homegrown Thai basil, chiles, radish, carrot, scallions, and rutabaga, beet and radish greens.  This will probably be a recurring dish this winter.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #675 on: September 05, 2014, 02:37:26 AM »
Banana, crisps and a cup of coffee. Not a very healthy breakfast.:)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #676 on: September 05, 2014, 03:46:45 AM »
I've got a leg of corned lamb in the slow cooker cooking in a broth of water, vinegar, some herbs, onion with cloves, some old carrots etc. The lamb isn't very mustachian ($20 for 1.5kg, but should make 10 meals I guess?). But, I keep having the broth as a snack. ie ladle some out into a bowl. It's surprisingly tasty despite the vinegar.

Revelation: corned leg of lamb is soooo much nicer than corned beef. Maybe the last time I cooked corned beef (oh lol, look at me pretending that I've cooked corned beef more than once in my life) I had too much vinegar in the cooking broth? I dunno. Anyway. Corned leg of lamb FTW! Thank you to the older generation who asked our local butcher to prepare some. (apparently  corned lamb used to be a thing years ago but fell out of fashion or something. I couldn't hear the butcher explain it to me over the background noise.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #677 on: September 05, 2014, 08:52:13 AM »
Wow, that is a fantastic idea!  Have leg of lamb in the freezer and had no idea wtf I was going to do with it.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #678 on: September 05, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
I occasionally get a leg of lamb and immediately dice it and portion it into small bags for the freezer.  Then I can have lamb stir-fry or shish-kebabs any day I please.

I also strip off the outer tough parts (and bone if there is one) and save that in the freezer to make broth at a later date.  I actually often have 3-4 bags in the freezer for broth - one for lamb, one for beef bones, one for chicken bones, and 1-2 for veggie scraps.  I find boiling the bones/meat scraps for several hours in the crockpot, then taking out the meat parts and putting in the veggies for the last hour gives a nice flavorful result with minimal fuss.  Hardest part is straining it all at the end.

DH has been having heartburn something fierce, so I've been trying to make tasty but mild meals.  Yesterday was pretty good.  I spread mayo on the bottom of a pyrex pan, laid down chicken breasts, spread more mayo over that, sprinkled crushed saltines and various spices (onion, garlic, pepper, paprika, cayenne), and baked.  Then made rice in a homemade chicken/veggie stock.  Veggies were green and orange peppers, zucchini, and yellow tomatoes all fried together in a bit of olive oil.  Then the veggies were mixed with the rice.  I think that the tomatoes really added a nice touch to the veggies.

jopiquant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #679 on: September 05, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »
For lunch this week, I used the food processor to grate 2 beets, 5 carrots, 1 biggish zucchini and I cooked up 1 cup (dry) red lentils. Divided over the four days. It's great! I'm on a 1400 or so calorie daily limit, though, so if you need more, that's more a snack than a meal. Some dressing would bump up the calories nicely.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #680 on: September 05, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »
Homemade vanilla ice cream!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #681 on: September 05, 2014, 09:18:15 PM »
Not eating this now, but reading through the thread and wanted to throw this out there.

I had bought a bottle of tahini once and there was a recipe for a tahini dressing on it. It was so easy and it really dresses up a salad or a veggie dish.

Combine equal parts tahini and water and whisk together to liquify. Add some fresh lemon and either fresh garlic or garlic powder. Add salt and pepper. Whisk together.

O-M-G your salad will be a feast when dressed with this dressing!

I also layered this sauce over a roasted red pepper stuffed with my buckwheat mixture from above and it really jazzed up the dish, which would have been awesome even on its own.

You're welcome.

My sister (a former chef) tried my concoction and was raving about it. She's usually a harsh critic in the kitchen.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #682 on: September 08, 2014, 09:22:39 PM »
taught the new roommate how to bake scones. 12/16 ginger curry scones remain

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: September 09, 2014, 01:11:38 PM »
Not eating this now, but reading through the thread and wanted to throw this out there.

I had bought a bottle of tahini once and there was a recipe for a tahini dressing on it. It was so easy and it really dresses up a salad or a veggie dish.

Combine equal parts tahini and water and whisk together to liquify. Add some fresh lemon and either fresh garlic or garlic powder. Add salt and pepper. Whisk together.

O-M-G your salad will be a feast when dressed with this dressing!

I also layered this sauce over a roasted red pepper stuffed with my buckwheat mixture from above and it really jazzed up the dish, which would have been awesome even on its own.

You're welcome.

My sister (a former chef) tried my concoction and was raving about it. She's usually a harsh critic in the kitchen.

Thanks for the tip!  I have a huge container of tahini that I haven't used.  I can't remember why I bought it!

I'm drinking Earl Grey tea brewed from gifted tea bags and tap water. 

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #684 on: September 09, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »
Home made celery and fennel soup from Jennifer Joyce's book "Small Bites", accompanied by LaBrea bakery's Three Cheese Semolina bread (it's a sourdough style bread).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #685 on: September 09, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
Cool Ranch Doritos.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #686 on: September 09, 2014, 04:46:16 PM »
A perfectly ripe Bartlett pear

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #687 on: September 09, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #688 on: September 09, 2014, 07:38:54 PM »
leftover corned beef hash with two fresh yokey eggs:)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #689 on: September 09, 2014, 07:58:10 PM »
Fried rice.

I cooked 1 cup of rice in the rice cooker while sauteing a few onions and garlic in canola oil.  I tossed the rice with the oil, onions, garlic, soy sauce, a few spices and peas (from the freezer).  I also added 3 eggs.  It was filling, cheap, and delicious!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #690 on: September 09, 2014, 08:24:30 PM »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #691 on: September 10, 2014, 03:15:18 PM »
I had homemade turkey Cincinnati chili for lunch and a tofu coconut curry on rice noodles for dinner. Second dinner is going to be lemon roasted chicken and potatoes, followed by a bottle of homemade Barolo.

Happy Little Chipmunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #692 on: September 10, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
Lunch is leftover dinner: rice with garbanzo/squash/tofu curry. Even better the second day!

We're making a big pot of rice on Sunday and eating it through the week. The newly-minted high schooler is all about making her own lunch and some version of rice and beans is what she craves. Pretty funny. Before this year she never once made her own lunch. Side benefit is there's always rice in the fridge for me!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #693 on: September 11, 2014, 05:27:59 PM »
Tuna macaroni coleslaw. It's too hot here today to make a hot meal and I refuse to put on the a/c in September. Thankfully, the temps are really dropping at night now. 

mostlyeels

« Reply #694 on: September 11, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
Lunch is brown rice and honey and soy chicken stir fry.  Only learnt how to make it a little while ago, can't believe something so simple could be so tasty!

Lunch is followed by an apple and then probably chocolate!

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #695 on: September 11, 2014, 08:27:56 PM »
This morning I had Tabouli and a fried egg on a pita. (Homemade)

Lunch was shrimp tacos from the cafeteria at work (free)

Dinner was Chicken stock simmered with Szechuan chilis added some squid from the local monger and some chard and cilantro from the garden.

Desert was an apple with peanut butter.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #696 on: September 12, 2014, 04:46:35 AM »
I'm having vegan sausages, chips (fries) with loads of steamed veggies for lunch.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #697 on: September 16, 2014, 09:19:32 AM »
Oatmeal and tea

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #698 on: September 17, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
Made this yummy stuffed eggplant thing in the crock pot - ground beef, the eggplant guts, okra, roma tomatoes and bell pepper all out of the garden with this awesome roasted chile pesto stuff I made, plenty of cumin and oregano, all topped with mozzarella.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #699 on: September 17, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »
tempeh and pineapple thai curry
vegetarian friends expanding my food horizons, that tempeh's alright stuff