Author Topic: What are you EATING right now?  (Read 534710 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you EATING right now?
« Reply #500 on: May 24, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »
Yogurt with 6 sliced strawberries and a sprinkling of chia and hemp seeds.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #501 on: May 24, 2014, 07:32:45 PM »
I just finished a bowl of rice, bean sprouts, stir fried napa cabbage, and toasted sesame seeds. Not fancy, but filled my belly successfully.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: May 24, 2014, 07:55:12 PM »
Dinner was rice and sweet and sour meatballs, Greek salad and coleslaw.

Denarius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #503 on: May 25, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
my wife just made an amazing brown rice spaghetti bake, with side salad. Nice glass or two of the bota box cab-(thanks MMM!)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #504 on: May 25, 2014, 08:57:14 PM »
BBQ babyback ribs, potato salad and a big green salad, washed down with a homebrewed imperial stout.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #505 on: May 25, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »
used a bunch of lemon zests for limoncello, so now it's lemon night: sausage & spinach fettuccine w/ lemon cream sauce for dinner and lemon chocolate chip ice cream for dessert

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #506 on: May 26, 2014, 02:35:51 AM »
That sounds killer.

I had cheese ravioli in a savory, barely sweet orange cream sauce at this place in Rome, and it was absolutely terrific- definitely something I'll replicate when I get back to a real kitchen. Their cooking is way better than I'm finding out their web design is.

It's stir fry for me tonight. I bought two pounds of broccoli and twelve ounces of mushrooms at Costco when I got here and despite all the stir-frying I've hardly had half of each so far, so I've got lots of stir fry to eat this week.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:39:19 AM by grantmeaname »

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #507 on: May 26, 2014, 03:50:27 AM »
Thai green curry with chicken and eggplant. And with rice vermicelli instead of rice. So nice and spicy.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #508 on: May 26, 2014, 05:29:28 AM »
It is CSA season here which means figuring out new ways to eat kale.  I cooked up a pot of Yellow Indian Woman beans, an heirloom bean that I picked up in a farmer's market on a recent trip.  (One of my favorite "souvenirs" is a bag of an interesting dried bean.) Lovely bean--nice and creamy.  I added a can of tomatoes and jalapenos (generic Rotel) with sauted garlic, kale and scallions.  This was consumed in a choice of wheat or corn tortilla.

Where are you, Grant?  Rome, CT?  The link goes to CT.  (Perhaps one too many glasses of vino with the ravioli?)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #509 on: May 26, 2014, 05:33:38 AM »
Tried to make mushroom risotto in the slow cooker, it's flavourless and mushy :-(

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #510 on: May 26, 2014, 05:38:39 AM »
Where are you, Grant?  Rome, CT?  The link goes to CT.  (Perhaps one too many glasses of vino with the ravioli?)
The vino was two and a half weeks ago, so hopefully I'm not feeling it still. I'm amazed that searching "Piccolo Arancio Rome" gave me a restaurant in connecticut with no connection to Rome whatsoever as the first result. Here's what I meant.

In other news, I really wasn't feeling stir fry, so I had a quasi-Mexican rice bowl: chorizo, veggies, potatoes, and brown rice.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:40:33 AM by grantmeaname »

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #511 on: May 26, 2014, 03:26:46 PM »
Homemade pizza, one more traditional with tomato sauce, sausage, bell pepper, fresh basil.  The other has a layer of my homemade caramelized apple chutney (no tomato), onion and smoked cheddar. Served with salad made from CSA goodies.  My husband is enjoying his with a homebrew; I'll have a glass of red wine.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #512 on: May 26, 2014, 03:55:14 PM »
The other has a layer of my homemade caramelized apple chutney

That sounds amazing! Any chance you can share or PM the recipe?

Dinner tonight is a pork roast on a bed of caramelized fennel and onions, lemon roasted purple potatoes, Parmesan roasted cauliflower and salad. Looking forward to it!

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #513 on: May 26, 2014, 04:25:45 PM »
The other has a layer of my homemade caramelized apple chutney

That sounds amazing! Any chance you can share or PM the recipe?

Dinner tonight is a pork roast on a bed of caramelized fennel and onions, lemon roasted purple potatoes, Parmesan roasted cauliflower and salad. Looking forward to it!

Happy to share the recipe which I found online. 

http://www.kevindundon.com/caramelized-apple-chutney

I think this would make an excellent holiday gift!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #514 on: May 26, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »
Leftover sandwiches and potato salad for breakfast.

Eggs in a basket for lunch

Leftover guacamole for dinner.

This is after the most amazing food possible yesterday at our picnic - ornage juice brined chickens on the grill, salmon, siviche (no idea how to spell that), tons of fruits and veggies with various dips, the aforementioned potato salad and guacamole.  As usual I had trouble moving by the end of the picnic :)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #515 on: May 27, 2014, 03:19:19 PM »

It wasn't in blurryvision until I uploaded it, I swear.

I think I'm going into a brown rice phase. That's a good thing.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #516 on: May 27, 2014, 03:40:06 PM »
That's a good thing.

well it's a thing

Willbrewer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #517 on: May 30, 2014, 08:13:43 PM »
Cooking up a mess of beef liver and onions. Yumm!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #518 on: May 30, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
Big green salad with home-grown lettuce.  Red flannel hash with homegrown eggs over the top.  Then some homemade hard cider and finishing up with an Imperial stout home brew.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #519 on: June 01, 2014, 12:54:50 AM »
had some beets I was never going to use, so I'm turning them into ice cream. everything's better as ice cream... I hope?

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #520 on: June 01, 2014, 01:28:18 AM »
had some beets I was never going to use, so I'm turning them into ice cream. everything's better as ice cream... I hope?

I am not convinced. Please report back later.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #521 on: June 01, 2014, 01:35:02 AM »
Chicken and peanut soup, based on this recipe (http://cookieandkate.com/2013/west-african-peanut-soup/), but with chicken, onion, garlic, harissa and steamed sweet potato browned in the bottom of the pot before adding stock, condensed tomato soup (instead of paste), peanut butter, shallots and chopped brussel sprouts (because we were using up what was in the fridge).

So, so good.

And followed by a gluten-free version of Martha Stewart's devil's food cake.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #522 on: June 01, 2014, 02:34:43 AM »
If it sucks put a balsamic reduction on it, and then it'll suck less ATMO.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #523 on: June 01, 2014, 07:59:28 AM »
So this is actually pretty alright! I did citrus beet ice cream with juice and zest of a lemon to make it pop a little, which is similar to the seasonal Jeni's flavor of beet with orange, poppyseed, and mascarpone, and all her flavors are good so I had hope. It doesn't taste so much like either beets or lemons, just a nice bright sweetness with an indeterminate vegetable earthiness.

Plain beets still taste like basement though.

This all came about because I promised a friend I'd try learning to like beets after having nothing but the pickled and/or canned variety my whole life. He recommended steamed which was a bust, as was the borscht I tried to make, so I need some help. Does anybody have any exceptional beet recipes they could share with me?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #524 on: June 01, 2014, 08:06:43 AM »
I like beets sliced thin, sprayed with a bit of oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and roasted in the oven for like 20 minutes.  But then, I also like beets every other way I've tried them, perhaps you just don't like beets?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #525 on: June 01, 2014, 08:07:05 AM »
Roasted beet salad with feta. To die for.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #526 on: June 01, 2014, 08:18:20 AM »
perhaps you just don't like beets?

Perhaps, but it's not like I hurl every time I try them... I think there's potential. Plus, to say "I just don't like them" seems like something of a cop-out when I can't think of any other foods I categorically dislike. There has to be some way beets are not bad.

Roasted beet salad with feta. To die for.
I like beets sliced thin, sprayed with a bit of oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and roasted in the oven for like 20 minutes.

mmkay sounds like roasted is the way to go

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #527 on: June 01, 2014, 08:40:28 AM »
just finished final freeze. the color on this stuff is something else!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #528 on: June 01, 2014, 08:21:32 PM »
Sweet chill chicken, pasta salad (made from leftover macaroni noodles from 2 days ago), watermelon and chai tea.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #529 on: June 01, 2014, 10:24:54 PM »
Does anybody have any exceptional beet recipes they could share with me?

I grew up eating canned beets as well and wasn't a big fan. Then I started getting them in my CSA all of the time and would just slice them up and eat them raw in a regular salad.

Just recently I tried cooking them for the first time. I made a pureed beet-carrot-ginger-garlic soup with some leftover turkey stock and it was delicious! I found a recipe online. I think ginger spices it up in a nice way. I have a whole batch in the freezer. The soup was this funky red color. I may take some out to eat this week after thinking about it...

That's one of the things I love about a CSA - it forces me to try vegetables I had never eaten before and find creative ways to make it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:27:04 PM by Daisy »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #530 on: June 01, 2014, 10:39:07 PM »
When you've got the oven going anyway, put your beets in a tinfoil packet and pop them in there whole.  You can smear them with a little olive oil if you want.  When cold, take the skins off and dice them up.  Sprinkle on some fresh parsley, balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and then toss in some goat cheese.  A little orange or lemon zest is nice here, too.

Also, red flannel hash.  Repeat the cooking process, and then cook some chopped up bacon and onions, and throw the beets in the pan with all that.  Again with the chopped parsley.  Crack a few nice eggs on top and some salt and pepper and toss in the oven until the eggs set up.

If all of this fails, try the golden beets or chioggia beets, which I think are a little milder tasting, so maybe a good gateway beet.

Don't be alarmed at the color of your pee.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #531 on: June 02, 2014, 12:30:44 AM »
Start with good beets! Any old, mangy, huge beets will not be appetizing no matter what you do with them. Also, try and find some with the stems and leaves. Wilted in some garlic butter, they are awesome!

Roasting makes pretty much an veggie better:) I usually just peel em, cube em, toss em with a glug of olive oil, seasoning salt and pepper.  Throw in some potatoes  at the same time and most of breakfast the next morning will be ready to go!

Tonight I made breakfast for dinner homemade sausage patties (organic pork, maple syrup, fresh sage, garlic salt and pepper) with a smaltz fried egg, jalapeno cheddar cheese on a toasted cheese and jalapeno bagel. Hubby dubbed it the best breakfast sandwich he had ever eaten :)

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #532 on: June 02, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »
Goodness. I'm just going to move in with everybody. I'll rotate from household to household every two weeks or so. You guys make some amazing sounding stuff! And here I am, eating popcorn for lunch.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #533 on: June 02, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »
We had a lovely late spring meal:  asparagus/green onion frittata with skillet roasted rosemary new potatoes, a recipe that I got from the Martha:

http://www.marthastewart.com/313290/pan-roasted-rosemary-potatoes?czone=food%2Fspring-produce&gallery=274469&slide=313290&center=1009726

Both of my cast iron skillets were put to work this evening.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #534 on: June 02, 2014, 05:33:47 PM »
Worsted, I love my cast iron!  I really don't know what I would do without it.

Tonight we are having spicy chicken stir fry with zucchini, red cabbage, and red peppers.  Cooked in olive oil and water, seasoned with garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and onion powder.

I make this all the time, or something similar, and it really never gets old!  I'm having mine in a wrap, DH is having his with queso and tortilla chips.

Also made my weekly homemade bread today, always makes me smile to think how very easy it is to have awesome bread!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #535 on: June 02, 2014, 06:43:27 PM »
Homemade refried black beans with onions, chipotle and roasted garlic, salmon poached with lime and onion and topped with mango salsa I canned last summer, and a big mess of sauteed veggies (broccoli, bell pepper, zucchini and onion).  As my uncle would say, "that's adequate."

Willbrewer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #536 on: June 02, 2014, 07:00:50 PM »
Home brewed strawberry infused Belgian ale. I passed my brewing skills down to my son, so now I get great homebrew without all the work! Oh, and I have some pork country style ribs simmering on the stove too- marked down 30% in the meat case at Safeway. After the ribs are done I'll cook a mess of mixed veggies in the broth. Should last me for a couple of days.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #537 on: June 02, 2014, 08:20:29 PM »
Homemade baked beans. Did the beans from dry 2 days ago in the crockpot, then mixed them up today with brown sugar, molasses, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, mustard, diced tomatoes and salt & pepper. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #538 on: June 02, 2014, 08:34:56 PM »
Major flare up of my hiatal hernia, so for the last week I've eaten plain tofu, plain steamed mild veggies (no onion/garlic/tomato), plain beans or field peas, brown rice, plain couscous, whole wheat toast, lowfat mozzarella, fat free milk, bananas, apples, and natural peanut butter in various combinations. Oh, and warm liquid gelatin when the pain is too much (it coats).

Fortunately I'm handling soy sauce okay, which also means simplified peanut sauce on the veggies sometimes, and a couple nights ago I tried just a little ginger in the soy, so now I have three seasoning options (plain soy, peanut sauce, and ginger soy). Also, I'm losing weight, which at least was needed, and grocery shopping today involved no extraneous temptation at all because everything sounded painful.

I want curry, dammit.

</whine>

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #539 on: June 03, 2014, 05:27:23 AM »
Wholemeal spiral pasta in an eggplant, potato and chilli passata, with fresh sliced avocado on top.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #540 on: June 03, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
Mini supermarket cupcakes, because someone brought them into work. I seem to have relapsed into my old articled-clerkship ways, showing up for things because: free food!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #541 on: June 03, 2014, 06:32:55 PM »
Breakfast this morning was a homemade english muffin with a whole avocado (mashed!) as topping. Some salt and pepper made it even tastier :-)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #542 on: June 05, 2014, 06:50:29 PM »
French toast with honey and macadamia butter. :D

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #543 on: June 05, 2014, 07:18:19 PM »
Handful of raw almonds and a coffee. Morning tea :-)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #544 on: June 05, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »
My breakfast was homemade yogurt with strawberry jam and chopped mint, chopped chameh (Korean melon) drizzled with mint simple syrup and chopped mint, and lavender-infused coffee with milk and mint simple syrup.

Basically my breath is awesome right now.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #545 on: June 05, 2014, 08:48:39 PM »
lavender-infused coffee with milk and mint simple syrup.

I rarely drink coffee but this sounds amazing.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #546 on: June 05, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »
French toast with honey and macadamia butter. :D

Macadamia butter is a thing?!  *Drool*

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #547 on: June 05, 2014, 10:03:32 PM »
Macadamia butter is a thing?!  *Drool*

Yes! Like peanut butter... but with macadamias instead! It's the good stuff too, the only ingredient is macadamia nuts. I don't have a food processor and can't make my own nut butter, so this was a luxurious purchase - but it supports a small producer and it's delicious, so win-win! ;)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #548 on: June 05, 2014, 11:30:31 PM »
Greek yogurt, vanilla stevia, fresh raspberries, chia and hemp seeds. Heavenly snack!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #549 on: June 06, 2014, 01:56:08 AM »
Congee with a tangy, spicy dried shrimp relish/salsa.