Author Topic: What are you EATING right now?  (Read 534693 times)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
Re: What are you EATING right now?
« Reply #250 on: January 07, 2014, 04:03:00 AM »
I'm pretty stoked about this meal, so I had to share.

Homemade tortillas with microwaved/fried potatoes (for quicker cooking--nuked 5 minutes then browned in the pan), red kidney beans, spinach, and pizza delivery packet hot sauce mixed in. Topped with a little colby jack cheese.

Chyaaa!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2014, 08:58:48 PM »
made these... http://www.sprinklebakes.com/2010/07/matcha-cake-sushi-rolls.html ...for a sushi party I'm going to tomorrow night. Took me three tries, but I'll be damned if the third batch isn't near perfect.

fucking whipped egg based recipes

I'm eating the scraps from the first two attempts ;-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #252 on: January 10, 2014, 07:24:42 AM »
made these... http://www.sprinklebakes.com/2010/07/matcha-cake-sushi-rolls.html ...for a sushi party I'm going to tomorrow night. Took me three tries, but I'll be damned if the third batch isn't near perfect.

Those are awesome!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #253 on: January 10, 2014, 10:52:43 AM »

I want to make these so bad now, sushi and sugar, two amazing things.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: January 10, 2014, 11:13:15 AM »
well if y'all decide to make them, some tips to help prevent cracking and keep them looking presentable:
-I ended up undercooking them a little so the top was still a bit sticky when I pulled them out
-move FAST once they're out of the oven. I skipped the cooling rack and went straight to the tea towel
-use way more powdered sugar than you think you need, else you risk the wet cake sticking through the sugar onto the towel. you can always brush off the extra later
-when you partially unroll them to stuff, have something handy to support the sides so they don't fall flat under their own weight
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:31:38 PM by Russ »

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #255 on: January 10, 2014, 07:20:39 PM »
A fully loaded baked potato  fluffed to perfection, topped with compound butter, sour cream, bacon, cheddar, scallions, and broccoli.

Accompanied by a glass of petit Verdot, bottled by yours truly at a badass little winery in Sonoma.

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #256 on: January 10, 2014, 07:33:36 PM »
Came home this evening to an amazing dinner of chili and cornbread. GF put dry beans (that we got for free) in the crock pot this morning with a bunch of spices and sweet potatoes and vegetables, let it cook for 7 hours, then made the corn bread tonight using left over bacon fat in the big cast iron skillet.

omg. Gud.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2014, 07:08:07 PM »
mac and cheese is getting better every time... put some leftover beer in the cheese sauce (yeah I didn't want to finish it, at least it didn't go down the drain)

so good

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »
Duck-fat leek and potato soup with cheesy breadcrumbs and a poached egg. Complete success!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2014, 07:45:13 PM »
wowzers, seems like everyone is eating really good lately!

I used up a bunch of panty ingredients to make Anzac brownies. Anzac cookie base with a layer of fudgy brownie on top. So, so good!

http://www.christinamarsigliese.com/2013/01/anzac-brownies.html

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »
Anzac=what?

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2014, 08:16:53 PM »
sounds like a bad practical joke

upon further investigation it looks like they're some kind of dense oat cookie

I may have to try these this week, I have a big thing of oats I haven't been eating

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2014, 08:34:42 PM »
I may have to try these this week, I have a big thing of oats I haven't been eating
Make espresso no bakes.

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2014, 09:30:27 PM »
Make espresso no bakes.
Huzzah, something to use all my oats! Thanks.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »
I just made no-bakes with espresso powder, extra cocoa powder, and something like 60% of the called-for sugar. They turned out incredibly!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2014, 11:29:56 PM »
Anzac=what?

Anzac biscuits are a cookie that was made in Australia during the first world war and sent over to troops because they transported well and don't contain eggs. They use oats and coconut and golden syrup. They are apparently very strict about what can and can't officially b called an ANZAC biscuit. - so purists wouldn't appreciate this cross over, but damn are they good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANZAC_biscuit

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #266 on: January 14, 2014, 05:03:38 AM »
We sent ANZAC biscuits by post (From Aust) to my brother when he spent six months in a remote part of the pacific islands eating mostly (>95%) taro... and yes they did travel well :)

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #267 on: January 14, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »
Every lunch, every workday:
1/2 cup of oatmeal (dry)
1 turkey and cheese sandwich
1 yogurt

I crave the consistency...

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #268 on: January 14, 2014, 01:45:06 PM »
@stripey and swick, someone pinned this, and I thought of you guys: http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/anzac-biscuits

Sharing the less-good after the spectacular: currently eating my first attempt at spinach ohitashi. I tried to make it without consulting recipes, it's not tragic but it's way too watery. Heated it up and re-seasoned it and now we can call it a decent "spinach soup."

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #269 on: January 14, 2014, 05:02:09 PM »
One of my most expensive, healthy and (in my opinion) delicious meals is my breakfast that I eat every single AM: rolled oats, nuts (usually raw almonds, walnuts, or other), raisins, seeds, apples, bananas, and if I'm lucky and they're in season, berries. I usually add a dollop of homemade yogurt on top, and occasionally maple syrup that I get for free as holiday gifts.

Only reason it's expensive is that nuts are generally the most expensive thing I buy, per pound. And I eat them every day.

On another note -- someone way back mentioned pulled pork tacos in the crock pot. Anyone have a recipe for this? I used to make them but forgot how, i.e., what cut of meat to buy etc.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: January 16, 2014, 05:23:08 PM »
feeling like I've gotten pretty good at pizza and mac 'n' cheese, time to move on to something else

stir fry!

anybody have any tips or basic recipes to play off of? I know I'm gonna be limited on the texture by my wimpy electric stove, but if I can get the flavors good I'll be happy.

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2014, 06:49:13 PM »
stir fry!

anybody have any tips or basic recipes to play off of? I know I'm gonna be limited on the texture by my wimpy electric stove, but if I can get the flavors good I'll be happy.

Get oil very hot, get veggies cut small, let deliciosity ensue. I don't really have tips, I can't think of anything to add beyond "fry hot, stir a lot." You can also fry at lower temps and stir less vigorously. Put you liquid seasonings towards the end of cooking, but cook your spices. I'm sorry if everything is completely obvious!

Now the fun part! My favorite flavoring combo for stir-frying: ginger, garlic, hot sauce, fish sauce, lime, sesame oil (just a drop of two before serving). Can replace the lime by lemon and the fish sauce by soy sauce (or salt I guess), and you can also dispense with the garlic if you go with a garlicky hot sauce like sriracha (ah yes, one tip: don't add the garlic too early, burnt garlic is a tragedy and garlic loves to burn). Also love cumin, cinnamon, ginger, onion, dried fruits (rehydrate before and fry with the veggies for best results). A few nuts or some nut butter can also give you a completely different feel. This map circulated a while ago, it has a lot of good flavor combo ideas: http://24.media.tumblr.com/7925f7a7d7aadef2d457d18963d9ec96/tumblr_mnhevuFXI51r6ei1uo1_1280.jpg

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2014, 07:10:50 PM »
I like how most of North America is just gray

thanks for the tips!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #273 on: January 17, 2014, 05:42:41 AM »
I heard they don't eat food there

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #274 on: January 17, 2014, 07:02:37 AM »
I heard they don't eat food there

They CALL it food, it just may not be.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #275 on: January 19, 2014, 09:46:59 PM »
Sliced almonds with dehydrated cranberries and whole milk.  Like cereal, but not:)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2014, 06:59:42 PM »
so after 5 days of having stir-fry for literally every meal, I have a sauce that I'm confident sharing. tried a bunch of complicated shit but this is way better. give it a try if you feel trusting ;-)

two parts each:
oyster sauce
soy sauce
rice wine vinegar

one part each:
brown sugar
sesame oil

red pepper flakes or chili paste (better if avail.) to taste

ed.: made some mint choc. chip ice cream to celebrate, which I'm eating now
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:53:27 PM by Russ »

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #277 on: January 20, 2014, 08:47:59 PM »
An avocado truffles and natto omelette.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: January 21, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »
Killin' it for scone club tomorrow. Red velvet w/ cream cheese frosting & chopped pecans, and pineapple coconut w/ ginger icing.

Of course I had to try one of each to make sure they turned out ok ;-)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2014, 06:08:19 PM »
I feel like I'm the only person who eats things anymore

right now, hot cocoa with mint whipped cream (yeah you can do that when you make that shit from scratch)

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #280 on: January 24, 2014, 06:30:43 PM »
Left-over noodles, fried egg on top, onions, crushed tomatoes w/ basil (from a can), shredded cheddar cheese, and hot sauce. Put everything on an oven-safe plate in the toaster oven on broil for 10 mins. Dinner.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #281 on: January 25, 2014, 07:14:34 AM »
mint whipped cream (yeah you can do that when you make that shit from scratch)
Yeah you can do that, but why would you want to?

I'll have an update later today - the accounting international students and I are making a bunch of cool chinese stuff.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #282 on: January 25, 2014, 07:27:23 AM »
Yeah you can do that, but why would you want to?
'cause it's good duh
I'll have an update later today - the accounting international students and I are making a bunch of cool chinese stuff.
show me the ways

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #283 on: January 25, 2014, 06:10:32 PM »
dinner 2nite: shaved asparagus, red onion, and gorgonzola pizza

also stovetop popcorn with butter from cows
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:23:50 PM by Russ »

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: January 26, 2014, 08:04:10 AM »
A bear claw and small pack of donuts.

Vending machine guy cleaned out the expired (freshness date, still perfectly edible) food at work and just threw it into a trash can nearby instead of taking it with him.  A little trash can diving and I've got free breakfast for the next week!  :-)

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2014, 10:41:26 AM »
Lamb kidney with some shallot and mustard for lunch. Delicious!

I went to a lamb butchery course last night and now have a freezer full of premo lamb.  So pumped.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #286 on: February 07, 2014, 02:47:41 AM »
I've been sick six days and feel a whole new level of whineyness today (I even went to the doctor finally!), so I ate a dinner fit for the petulant child I'm acting like: a pancake sandwich filled with strawberry jam, peanut butter, sliced banana, and fresh blueberries. I finished off the rest of the banana, a clementine, and some green tea, and now I'm going to roll around and moan in bed while I watch Lilo & Stitch.

Hrumph.

PS: my dinner was super awesome for real.

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #287 on: February 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM »
I've been sick six days and feel a whole new level of whineyness today (I even went to the doctor finally!), so I ate a dinner fit for the petulant child I'm acting like: a pancake sandwich filled with strawberry jam, peanut butter, sliced banana, and fresh blueberries. I finished off the rest of the banana, a clementine, and some green tea, and now I'm going to roll around and moan in bed while I watch Lilo & Stitch.

Hrumph.

Hahahaha. I'm truly sorry you're sick, and I hope you feel better soon. But I definitely got a chuckle out of this!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: February 07, 2014, 06:02:27 PM »

Hrumph.

holy shit I'm having pancake sandwiches for breakfast tomorrow. This sounds like the best thing

I'm eating hash browns / home fries (what do you call them when they're cubed?) 'cause I decided it would be tastier per dollar to get some really nice potatoes instead of the bag of chips I was looking at. Def satisfied my fried food craving and I have like ten more potatoes, so I'm happy

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #289 on: February 07, 2014, 07:37:13 PM »
Today's forecast is 40C / 104F. Right now it's at 35C/95F and climbing. Think I'll just stay home today...

To combat the hot weather, I've had a smoothie made with frozen paw paw, a small carrot, raw cacao powder and roasted carob powder. Refreshing!

Getting hungry again, I'm thinking my next smoothie will be made with cashews and frozen berries.

Massively tempted to get dinner delivered tonight.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #290 on: February 07, 2014, 09:13:34 PM »
Now I'm tucking into the zucchini aglio e olio I've just made. Deliciousness. Perfect for this summer weather.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: February 08, 2014, 02:11:50 AM »
I'm totally spamming this thread. I didn't get dinner delivered after all. I made rice vermicelli noodle soup with prawns, mushrooms, chilli and lime.

Strawberrykiwi75

• Stubble
« Reply #292 on: February 08, 2014, 02:46:49 AM »
feeling like I've gotten pretty good at pizza and mac 'n' cheese, time to move on to something else

stir fry!

I always think that one of the best things about a stir fry is that there are no rules! Play around until you find something you like. I always keep about 5 sauces ready to go in the fridge + other fixings so that there's always a different taste. The key is to always use a VERY hot pan- it can make a massive difference to the overall flavour, as well as texture.

One of my favourites is the most basic and can be made in the blink of an eye. Serves one generously:
chop 1/2 a brown onion, then add 1/4 of a large red capsicum & 1 courgette. I like the courgette chunkily diced. Stir fry quickly with a big spoonful of Lee Kum Kee chili garlic sauce. Add 2 kale leaves, also chopped.  I always use the stalks too. add a small slurp of water and toss until kale changes green and looks inviting. Quickly add a dash of low sodium soy sauce, and serve on brown rice with a sunny-side up egg on top and a big handful of torn fresh coriander.

This is also beautiful with other veges- the other day I tried it with snow peas as well, and if you want to add more protein some shelled edamame works nicely. I love how this requires basically no prep and the flavours are very simple.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #293 on: February 09, 2014, 07:32:45 AM »
On the cook-ahead menu today: iced coffee, dark chocolate/espresso no bake cookies, brown rice, refried beans, and Cincinnati style chili.

Good times.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #294 on: February 09, 2014, 03:52:56 PM »
On the cook-ahead menu today: iced coffee, dark chocolate/espresso no bake cookies, brown rice, refried beans, and Cincinnati style chili.

Good times.
Skyline pizza. I guess it's a thing now. Apologies for poorly framed cell-phone picture.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #295 on: February 09, 2014, 03:55:39 PM »
is that sour cream / yogurt on the top one?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: February 09, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »
Cream cheese. Like skyline dip, pizzafied.

The ugly-ass pizza on the bottom is the gluten free one. More like mashed potatoes than dough.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: February 09, 2014, 03:59:14 PM »
Cream cheese. Like skyline dip, pizzafied.
ohhhh clever

The ugly-ass pizza on the bottom is the gluten free one. More like mashed potatoes than dough.
I didn't want to ask what was wrong with it. That makes sense

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #298 on: February 10, 2014, 06:38:35 AM »
 1/2 half plain toasted bagel with a small dab of smartbalance and 2 cups of coffee every morning just to get the metabolism going.  Couple hours i will eat a banana or some other piece of fruit.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #299 on: February 10, 2014, 04:49:28 PM »
Chicken, zucchini, sweet red pepper, broccoli, and spinach - all cooked with a Mediterranean spice blend, orange zest, and red pepper flakes, served over spaghetti squash with a few T of pasta sauce.

Then 2 homemade dairy/soy free oatmeal chocolate chip cookies :-)