Author Topic: What are you ARTING right now?  (Read 32287 times)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
What are you ARTING right now?
« on: February 04, 2016, 08:21:07 AM »
In progress, completed, your kid's scribbles (you kinda made that, right?), whatever you've got!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you ARTING right now?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 08:28:02 AM »
old stuff

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:35:16 AM by Russ »

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:34:17 AM »
This week

The Happy Philosopher

• Bristles
    • thehappyphilosopher
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 11:12:55 AM »
Currently taking a few pictures, Instagram won't let me copy and I can't figure out how to add a pic from my phone but here is a link.

https://www.instagram.com/thehappyphilosopher/

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 11:23:38 AM »
Posting to follow! Loving the inspiration. Love your photos frugaldoc.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 11:25:09 AM »
great idea for a thread! i like seeing what folks are arting :)

i've been painting and drawing a lot the last few months -- the attached pic is probably my favorite thing i've done so far. colored pencil on black gesso and i love her so.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 11:30:55 AM »
Second that, miss madge, love the thread idea!

I've been quiet lately, life n' stuff has been getting in the way of producing much. For now I'm posting to bookmark the thread, I'll post some pics later on tonight since I don't have access to them from work.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 09:22:24 PM »
I like your work, Russ, thanks for the share!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 09:38:19 PM »
After a two (very long!!!) year pause, I'm finally starting to do art again!  Woot!   I have a dozen pieces of jewelry started.   I'll post photos in a couple of weeks as they start to come together.   I'm making pieces to get my skills back up to speed, some of them have atrophied pretty badly.

Then I'll start on the pieces for my fellow mustachians (you know who you are!)

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 09:45:30 PM »
Found 'em! Pics attached.

I have a Jet 14" bench lathe set up in the basement, and I do a variety of small wood turning projects. I've made a series of bracelets for friends and personal wear recently:

136: Handmade Cocobolo beads w/ oil finish, sterling silver spacers and decorative toggle clasp (purchased those)
497: Black irridescent Acrylester, nautical-themed spacers and toggle (not quite finished, need to add a varnish or something to give it a gloss)
500: Bethlehem Olivewood beads, antique oil finish, silver spacers (really liked the rose toggle and requested the same)

Currently making one for myself, I'll post pics when it's done!

The Happy Philosopher

• Bristles
    • thehappyphilosopher
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 12:40:04 AM »
Posting to follow! Loving the inspiration. Love your photos frugaldoc.

Thank you :)

I have no skill or training in drawing/painting/etc. (I  can color, but my skills are at about a 3rd grade level) so I turned to photography just to have a little fun. It's been a really interesting experience and I really like having something public like Instagram hold me accountable to keep taking pictures. Amazing how quickly you see the world differently when you are constantly looking for cool stuff to photograph - I  recommend anyone try it if they have even the slightest interest.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 12:59:42 AM »
I sometimes make up my own recipes, and then photograph and blog them, does that count? I also take pictures of things other than food, sometimes. ;)

I also have an Instagram account. Though admittedly the content is currently like 97% my partner's photography and 3% mine.

Links to blog and Instagram are in my signature. Rushing off to work now but I might post more of my photography in this thread later.

eljay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 01:28:26 AM »
Love the braacelets Vertical Mode.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 02:28:48 AM »
Nice work.:)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 06:30:34 AM »
Following!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 06:36:02 PM »

I have a Jet 14" bench lathe set up in the basement, and I do a variety of small wood turning projects. I've made a series of bracelets for friends and personal wear recently:

136: Handmade Cocobolo beads w/ oil finish, sterling silver spacers and decorative toggle clasp (purchased those)
497: Black irridescent Acrylester, nautical-themed spacers and toggle (not quite finished, need to add a varnish or something to give it a gloss)
500: Bethlehem Olivewood beads, antique oil finish, silver spacers (really liked the rose toggle and requested the same)

Whoaaa have you made 500 of those? Looks rad.

<3 the drawing Miss Madge, and followed both you photo people

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 07:07:42 PM »
I sometimes make up my own recipes, and then photograph and blog them, does that count? I also take pictures of things other than food, sometimes. ;)

I also have an Instagram account. Though admittedly the content is currently like 97% my partner's photography and 3% mine.

Links to blog and Instagram are in my signature. Rushing off to work now but I might post more of my photography in this thread later.

Okay, I am back with a black-and-white photo essay from my trip to Myanmar. :D

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 10:15:33 AM »

Whoaaa have you made 500 of those? Looks rad.

<3 the drawing Miss Madge, and followed both you photo people

Thanks! Not to 500 yet! I got a bunch of Ebony stock at my local WW shop at a ridiculous discount (I think they really just wanted it gone TBH) so there may be more in the works soon.

These are simply stunning! Great study in contrast and composition.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 02:37:51 PM »

Need to learn how to take better photos... Doesn't help that I chose the worst-lit wall in the house for the Art Wall haha

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 05:47:03 AM »
Quote from: Vertical Mode
Thanks! Not to 500 yet! I got a bunch of Ebony stock at my local WW shop at a ridiculous discount (I think they really just wanted it gone TBH) so there may be more in the works soon.

heyyy something cool you might have fun with... both the dark pieces in my last post are the same wood as the blond stuff, just toasted in the oven at 400f for an hour or so. Absolutely eats up oil afterward for a really nice finish, plus now the house smells like campfire <3 (although it is a surprisingly smoke-free process)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 07:20:43 PM »

Lake Inle I presume - great photos!

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 08:16:48 AM »
It's not much, but it's the best I can do with a marker and a napkin. Lol

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 10:00:26 AM »
Learning to draw/illustrate fashion. Have been struggling on and off for a while but have now discovered drawing with ink and a brush. I much prefer it to pencil. Here's my favourite.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 10:03:40 AM »
Oh now THIS is a rad thread. Following to see all the cool stuff you guys make, and will be posting too later on.
:D

PSA to anyone who prints postcards or greeting cards of their artwork: don't use overnightprints.com I've had quality issues with them twice in a row now. Just not worth the headache. :)

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 10:29:24 AM »
Here's another little drawing I did not too long ago. I plan on posting more later, if that's OK. I love this thread.

Killerbrandt

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 10:31:37 AM »
This is an awesome thread! thank you guys for sharing all this with us! Those black and white photos are the best!!

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 04:59:49 AM »
Here is an oil of mine. I airbrush now. Nothing of worth to show yet. The glare throws off the color and darkens it. Its much brighter in life

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 05:47:47 AM »
Wow, that's terrific, MP!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 08:02:13 AM »
Here is an oil of mine. I airbrush now. Nothing of worth to show yet. The glare throws off the color and darkens it. Its much brighter in life

That's wonderful, MP! Your water is really expressive, and I like the contrasting yellow highlights.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 08:06:09 AM »
Great painting! I love the waves.

Also, belated thanks for all the nice comments about my photo essay and yes, that was at Inle Lake in Myanmar. Will post another photo essay sometime. Meanwhile, hope everyone continues to post here!

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 12:19:04 PM »
Cool thread!

I'm working on writing a fringe movement theater piece with a friendquaintance. It goes up in a week and a half! Ah!  Hopefully I'll be able to get some pictures when it does.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2016, 05:21:03 AM »
based on a true story

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2016, 06:06:46 AM »
based on a true story

Hah! A Life In Three Images.

The Happy Philosopher

• Bristles
    • thehappyphilosopher
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2016, 09:45:23 AM »
I stumbled upon this article from a Twitter follower and thought is was cool and relevant to this thread. Enjoy :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/9-things-that-happen-when-you-carry-a-sketchbook-with-you-nonstop_us_56c77001e4b0ec6725e2820a?

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2016, 09:56:06 AM »

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 10:39:11 PM »
Just made my first stencil. Do you think the wife will be mad if this covers one living room wall? #airbrush

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 11:05:30 PM »
What a great variety of visual good stuff posted here. Look forward to seeing more!

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 11:18:19 PM »
Geeze I had no idea how much time I would spend adjusting air pressure, unclogging my gun, and experimenting with paint thickness and mixtures. Guess that's why I'm an amateur. Here is some free hand

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2016, 03:48:58 AM »
Airbrushing is hard! Is the bull stenciled or freehand?

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2016, 04:29:48 AM »
Airbrushing is hard! Is the bull stenciled or freehand?

Bull is freehand. Im still not up to what I can do with a pencil but I think long term the airbrush will win. I can cover large areas fast and smooth. The downside is there is a lot that can go wrong-- air pressure, gun needle settings, and the paint thickness/mix. <---- that is what Im stuggling with. I have a paasche double action and a sparmax compressor. I ordered a new paasche compressor with an air tank so I can get more even air distribution.

Stencils take a while to make. I was a little inpatient so you can see some flaws. Slow precise cuts are required.

I am a fan of Banksy. I decided to try the airbrush. Im hooked, frustrated, and love it.

wynr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2016, 02:25:08 PM »

Some miniatures for the SAGA game...

wynr

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »
Bull is freehand. Im still not up to what I can do with a pencil but I think long term the airbrush will win. I can cover large areas fast and smooth.

Stencils take a while to make. I was a little inpatient so you can see some flaws. Slow precise cuts are required.

I am a fan of Banksy. I decided to try the airbrush. Im hooked, frustrated, and love it.

You're doing great work for freehand! IMO (not that you asked for it) airbrush work has more scope and scale than pencils. Stencils can be a pain to cut but you can make them from different materials: acetate, matboard, various plastics. With a supply of fresh X-acto blades and some photocopied drawings for guidance it shouldn't take too long after some practice. But seeing as your freehand work is so good you may want to continue with that, leaving stencils for effects you can't get any other way.

Not sure if this fits the directive for what the OP was looking for -- it's what I do for the day job. Here's a mural I did on one of our campuses with a few dozen students this week, aged 5-14. Incorporates local sea creatures and the distinctive 'golden sand beach' of the area.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2016, 06:52:43 AM »
Not sure if this fits the directive for what the OP was looking for -- it's what I do for the day job. Here's a mural I did on one of our campuses with a few dozen students this week, aged 5-14. Incorporates local sea creatures and the distinctive 'golden sand beach' of the area.

Good work. It has a unique look to it. Original looking.

Most of my stuff is free hand. Crisp letters and perfect strait lines are the types of things I plan to stencil. Had a neighbor who made a living airbrushing landscapes for years. I was thinking that might be my MMM retirement. Hang out at art fairs and make cool things like the New York Stock Exchange, modified corporation symbols, and Hollywood stuff.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2016, 06:19:45 PM »
Give me something to paint tonight. I will take it a personal challenge and post results.

Ships, Motorcycles, circuits like freeways?

or tigers, naked females, whatever... throw it at me.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2016, 10:03:17 AM »
Give me something to paint tonight. I will take it a personal challenge and post results.

Ships, Motorcycles, circuits like freeways?

or tigers, naked females, whatever... throw it at me.

A tropical/jungle motif?

The Gotham skyline?

A Ziggurat or other architectural curio?

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2016, 03:42:11 AM »
Free hand airbrush. That was a different. I'm going to need stencils and edges to create sharper lines

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2016, 07:32:52 AM »
Doing some layout designs for an upcoming mermaid illustration.

zoltani

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2016, 03:35:36 PM »
I used to enjoy collage, and would like to get back into it some day. Looked up art supply stores in my area and there aren't any, only crafting supplies. That may work though!

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2016, 06:37:36 PM »
I used to enjoy collage, and would like to get back into it some day. Looked up art supply stores in my area and there aren't any, only crafting supplies. That may work though!

When I've done collage workshops, some PVA (Elmers-type) white glue usually does the trick, and should be available at local craft shops. Anything else you need for transfers or other techniques can be ordered online. As for papers, fabrics and other materials, it's up to your imagination. Post any results for us here!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2016, 06:24:32 AM »
The saga of mermaid illustration continuessssss....