Author Topic: What are you ARTING right now?  (Read 32284 times)

begood

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are you ARTING right now?
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2016, 04:47:18 PM »
I can't draw or cut a straight line, so my 14-year-old daughter's artistic bent fascinates me. She's exploring lots of different media - acrylic, oil, watercolor, colored pencils, charcoal; on canvas, on paper, on wood. Each thing she does becomes my favorite - the latest being a 10" x 6" oil on wood. Several people have asked about buying it (!!), but we really want to keep the original, so we're considering doing a limited-edition giclee print set of it.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:49:05 PM by begood »

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2016, 08:57:31 AM »
That's lovely begood, your daughter is very talented!

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2016, 12:09:54 PM »
That's lovely begood, your daughter is very talented!

Thanks, limeandpepper!

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2016, 01:00:48 AM »
I love seeing everyones projects!

This summer I have tie dyed twice with my kids. My daughter does hers, but I do mine and stuff for my son.

Also, my daughter and I took a mosaic workshop and we each made a tile. Hers is the sunset and mine is the abstract blue one.

And I am taking a ceramics class. I have taken a couple with the kids, but didnt really get to do my own projects. This is a class for beginner adults at the park district.

http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/mrsnoneofyourbusiness/slideshow/Art%20Projects

http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/mrsnoneofyourbusiness/slideshow/Tie%20Dye

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2016, 07:54:03 AM »
I love this thread!

MsMadge your coloured pencils on black gesso artwork is wonderful!! 

Thanks Stachey! Your apple looks awesome! I love messing around with watercolors but don't have a lot of skill getting anything realistic-looking out of them. Well done :)

zoltani

« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »
I am about to start designing a plush toy for me and my GF to make together. I'm pretty excited as it will incorporate so many different things into one piece.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2016, 01:44:57 PM »
Thank you so much Ms Madge!  Yeah I'm really pleased at how realistic I'm getting things to look.
I've got a question for you...with your altered book do you gesso the pages or just paint directly on the page?  I've seen pictures of altered books but haven't tried it myself so was wondering what the procedure is.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2016, 02:06:41 PM »
Oooh I love talking about altered books!

I have two types.

1) The first type, I rip out about half the pages in the book and gesso or collage with matte medium on the pages. You rip out the pages so that there's room for the additional layers of gesso/paint/collage in the book, without breaking the spine. I especially love working with black gesso. Everything looks so COOL on it, and it feels great to draw and paint on it.

2) The second type, I rip out about 70% of the pages in the book, and I bind in new signatures of nice watercolor/mixed media paper. So then I normally gesso or collage-with-matte-medium on the original book pages, and I can play with watercolors on the blank watercolor pages. So much fun!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2016, 02:53:52 PM »
Ms Madge I just want you to now that literally last night I decided to do an altered book visual journal... and now I feel much more able to tackle it!
:D
Serendipity!
Any tips for binding in new pages?

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2016, 05:21:20 PM »
Cool! I love working in an altered book, it really helps with the whole where-do-I-start thing I get on a blank page sometimes.

Let me start by saying I learned how to do this from a video I paid to access or else I would send it to ya. (An online class by Jane Davenport called Supplies Me if anyone's interested.) I'm sure you can find some good tutorials on Youtube tho.

Here's what I know (not an expert)

- use a book that is sewn, not glued, binding
- remove a bunch of pages, you can use a straight edge to make it easier to tear them out. Try to get out all the crumbs out of the stitching
- open up the back of the book by slitting the back endsheet where it folds. This exposes the binding
- make your signatures and decide where you want them in the book
- use waxed linen to sew the signatures into the places you want them (I use a 3 or 5 hole pamphlet stitch)
- when you've got them all in, close the back binding again with tape

I love doing this so much that I had to agree to myself that I wouldn't make any more altered books until I fill some of the ones I have! Have fun :)

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2016, 08:50:30 AM »
Cheers Ms Madge! That does sound like fun.   I'll have to add that to my list of art projects to try out.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2016, 09:23:30 AM »
Thanks for the tips, Ms Madge! :D

Here's my own forays into watercolor this week. Hoping to finish up by the end of this weekend! :)

Sketch:

Color comps:

Painting:

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »
She's beautiful!! I love seeing the step by step process that got you there :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2016, 09:36:33 AM »
She's beautiful!! I love seeing the step by step process that got you there :)
:D! Thank you!

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »
I love this thread!

MsMadge your coloured pencils on black gesso artwork is wonderful!! 
There is so much creativity here which is fantastic....I really like the wood carvings!

Here is a watercolour I painted.  It looks better in real life...my ipod camera doesn't do a great job.

Stachey, your watercolor apple is wonderful - the colors are so rich!

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2016, 10:47:44 AM »
Orvell, I love your watercolor too! The hair is awesome!

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2016, 01:51:07 PM »
Thank you so much begood!  It's wonderful to hear feedback.

It's so great that you encourage your 14 yo artistic talents.  Youth are so rarely encouraged to follow their interest.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2016, 06:10:37 PM »
So today I had a hankering to watch underwater videos on YouTube while dicking around in my sketchbook. This is what I ended up with.

ETA: Hmm it posted sideways -- the white fan is supposed to be at the top -- but I guess it's okay. Meant to say it's watercolor background with gel pen on top. Super fun and relaxing to create :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:12:08 PM by ms madge »

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2016, 06:51:29 PM »
Very cool Ms Madge!  There are so many new things to try out these days...paint markers and gel pens and on and on...so many possibilities (rubbing my hands with glee.)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2016, 12:03:47 AM »
Love your work Orvell and ms madge! :)

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2016, 06:10:37 PM »
thanks stachey and limeandpepper :D

There are so many new things to try out these days...paint markers and gel pens and on and on...so many possibilities (rubbing my hands with glee.)

i knooooooow. the teacher i take classes from has a term for wanting to buy ALL the art supplies -- "rainbowitis" -- and i definitely have it bad. buying art supplies was my #1 mustachian downfall over the last year, slightly over taking the "stupid shoes" and "unnecessarily fancy makeup" categories, the winners for the previous two years.

at this point, the only reason i don't buy any more is that i already have them all. D'OH!

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2016, 11:17:38 AM »
LOL  Rainbowitis...I like it!

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2016, 12:54:02 AM »
only two more weeks of my beginner ceramics class, these are the second and third projects I did. Im really pleased with how they turned out.

This piece is the size of a corn cob, and I carved some zentangles into and then glazed.

This piece is about 8 inches tall and now holds kitchen utensils. Its blacker than in the photo.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2016, 04:12:08 PM »
Nice, N!

This piece is the size of a corn cob

I originally read "cob" as "kernel." Those are different.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »

Stalking Prey In Broad Daylight
Benchmade on Maple.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2016, 06:53:26 PM »
I created a book cover for my next short story. It was in Photoshop, which I'm trying to learn. Nothing too complicated, but I think it turned out pretty neat!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2016, 11:22:45 PM »
I like the book cover! Together with the title, it intrigues me.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2016, 11:36:10 PM »
I'm going to cheat by sharing something from wayyyyyy back - i.e., not something I'm doing RIGHT NOW.

An instrumental piece I composed ages ago. Unfortunately it's just synth and not played by real musicians with real instruments. But it's still one of my favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CtAVkcqUTc

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2016, 06:31:44 AM »
I like the book cover! Together with the title, it intrigues me.

Thank you! I'm very proud of it. :)

The story is set in Peru, and it follows the sun god's quest to save the kidnapped moon. He's joined by a Celtic war goddess, a Nabatean god of caravans, and a river goddess from Cameroon. Spoiler alert: the moon saves the sun.

I had a lot of fun writing it.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2017, 09:00:14 PM »
RIP this thread

I made some art this summer

spirograph

ring pop

lamp

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2017, 09:08:37 PM »
Really cool stuff Russ!!!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2017, 09:11:24 PM »
    Really cool stuff Russ!!!
    Seconded! Those are rad!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #132 on: October 19, 2017, 08:32:41 AM »
    I started this chess set before Hurricane Harvey (HH) came for a visit.  I live in Rockport, TX where the eye hit the coast.  I got the carving done; and then evacuated for a week.  We came back when there was non-potable water for showers, but no electricity.  A lot of cleanup, new fence, windows, roof, tree removal, etc. and I had time to paint them.  Here is my latest wood carving project.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #133 on: October 19, 2017, 09:16:01 AM »
    That is great work Joggernot. Do you keep your crafts for yourself or do you make them to sell?

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #134 on: October 19, 2017, 10:01:57 AM »
    I sell some wood carvings at local markets.  I made the chess set for my son who plays chess, but he didn't want a "hillbilly" chess set.  If I sell it the price would be $400 and doesn't include the chess board (made by my son in high school shop).  Thanks for asking.

Forever Wednesday

« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2018, 02:53:23 AM »
    Damn Russ, I really like your lamp.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #136 on: February 08, 2019, 07:57:43 AM »
    Can I revive this thread?

I'm working on a reader's theater piece written by a local playwright.  There's a festival next month with a few evenings of these performances celebrating new works from our state.  It's my first time performing a reading and my first time performing at a professional theater (well, we are volunteers, but still cool).

I want to pick up a cheap charcoal grill this summer to try this pit firing technique: https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/firing-techniques/wood-kiln-firing/grilling-season/

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #137 on: February 08, 2019, 10:37:16 AM »
    Good idea to revive the thread. :) Good luck with the performance!

I'm working on an art piece and need to construct a really shallow cabinet for it. Like, just 1 inch deep. The outside will have art, the inside will have different art when opened. It will be mounted on a wall.
    Anyone have suggestions? Should I just hack something together? I want to keep it fairly lightweight.

Lulee

• Bristles
    • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
    « Reply #138 on: February 08, 2019, 04:26:58 PM »
    I'm working on an art piece and need to construct a really shallow cabinet for it. Like, just 1 inch deep.  The outside will have art, the inside will have different art when opened. It will be mounted on a wall.  Anyone have suggestions? Should I just hack something together?  I want to keep it fairly lightweight.

@Orvell  Could you take a really shallow and lightweight medicine cabinet, remove the mirror and shelves, and use that?  The plastic one in my apartment is VERY lightweight, maybe too much so for what you're trying to do.

@Chranstronaut  Glad to see this thread again.  Good luck with your performance.  And thanks for that really cool link on the pit firing technique.

JSalazar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
      • Art
    « Reply #139 on: February 09, 2019, 07:31:06 PM »
    I can't draw or cut a straight line, so my 14-year-old daughter's artistic bent fascinates me. She's exploring lots of different media - acrylic, oil, watercolor, colored pencils, charcoal; on canvas, on paper, on wood. Each thing she does becomes my favorite - the latest being a 10" x 6" oil on wood. Several people have asked about buying it (!!), but we really want to keep the original, so we're considering doing a limited-edition giclee print set of it.

Wow! She's using some excellent technique. The painting looks like a living thing.

Here is a piece I did for a recent commission. It was a lot of fun, and not just because I got to draw floofy dinosaurs.
    « Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:33:03 PM by JSalazar »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #140 on: February 10, 2019, 10:43:21 AM »
    Lovely color palette, @JSalazar !

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
    • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
    « Reply #141 on: February 10, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
    thanks for bringing this thread back! Love all the recent stuff. Here's one of my more recent photos.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
    • Nullus Anxietas
    « Reply #142 on: February 10, 2019, 03:27:32 PM »
    The lighting in your piece looks great, JSalazar!

Glenstashe, I feel like I'm being sucked into the photo with the perspective you used.

Thanks for reviving the thread @Chranstronaut . It's a good reminder I haven't done at lately and need to set aside time for myself.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #143 on: February 12, 2019, 07:46:46 AM »
    Good idea to revive the thread. :) Good luck with the performance!

I'm working on an art piece and need to construct a really shallow cabinet for it. Like, just 1 inch deep. The outside will have art, the inside will have different art when opened. It will be mounted on a wall.
    Anyone have suggestions? Should I just hack something together? I want to keep it fairly lightweight.

Thanks!

You could try balsa wood, depending on the weight of the art that goes inside.  Most small hardware stores or hobby shops that sell model airplanes will have a section of different sizes of it.  You can also get square dowels in different sizes which might be an easy way to precisely set your depth in the cabinet and create shelves if needed.  Balsa is often thin enough to score and snap with a razor, or to cut by hand with a small saw.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #144 on: February 12, 2019, 07:51:45 AM »
    You could try balsa wood, depending on the weight of the art that goes inside.  Most small hardware stores or hobby shops that sell model airplanes will have a section of different sizes of it.  You can also get square dowels in different sizes which might be an easy way to precisely set your depth in the cabinet and create shelves if needed.  Balsa is often thin enough to score and snap with a razor, or to cut by hand with a small saw.
    I ended up going that route, at least for the prototype I'm working on. :)
    Deconstructed balsa wood cheapo box, with the first layer of paper clay applied. I have better hinges and cabinet hardware I picked up from the Restore to fit to it when it's all ready to be put back together.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #145 on: March 14, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »
    I ended up going that route, at least for the prototype I'm working on. :)
    Deconstructed balsa wood cheapo box, with the first layer of paper clay applied. I have better hinges and cabinet hardware I picked up from the Restore to fit to it when it's all ready to be put back together.

COOL!  Please share the finished piece :D

begood

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #146 on: April 21, 2019, 07:57:34 AM »

Wow! She's using some excellent technique. The painting looks like a living thing.

Here is a piece I did for a recent commission. It was a lot of fun, and not just because I got to draw floofy dinosaurs.

My apologies for the late reply, @JSalazar. Your floofy dinosaurs are awesome! But my favorite thing about your painting is the shading of the water - so hard to do and so beautiful!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #147 on: April 21, 2019, 07:39:35 PM »
    Crocheted Afghan donated to charity:

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #148 on: April 21, 2019, 07:41:17 PM »
    The ladies in my stitching group tease me about using too many earth tone neutrals. 

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #149 on: May 13, 2019, 07:49:54 AM »
    The ladies in my stitching group tease me about using too many earth tone neutrals.
    Well you certainly chose something bright!  Lovely afghans!

I really appreciate each piece people share in this thread.

I bought a used Weber grill off Craigslist last week, so my illicit backyard ceramics project is moving forward. Now to pick a low-firing clay and get after it!  I'm hoping to have some good weather over Memorial day weekend and maybe have pictures to share soon.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!