Author Topic: What are you ARTING right now?  (Read 32283 times)

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
Re: What are you ARTING right now?
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2016, 07:03:11 AM »
I do wood carving along with the required painting.  Sit outside in the sun until dark doing something creative.  When cold, just wear appropriate clothing and keep on carving.  For winter, I have a large LED outdoor light to work by.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2016, 07:40:52 AM »
Those are really impressive Joggernot!

Forever Wednesday

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2016, 07:57:53 AM »
First post ;)

I take my sketchbook with me most days and add to it a little at a time. :) Mostly random doodles haha!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2016, 08:15:39 AM »
[Edit: This is in reference to the mermaid picture at the bottom of the previous page.]

Whoah, those are some creepy rib-gills.  And it looks like she's about to eat some sort of sea-slug?  Don't mess with that lady.

I see you went with some sort of algae bra, rather than the more traditional sea shell.

I remain in awe of your artistic ability. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:38:10 AM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2016, 08:40:25 AM »
Enjoying the latest updates!

Some miniatures for the SAGA game...

I have no idea what the SAGA game is, but these look nifty.

The saga of mermaid illustration continuessssss....

That's coming along really nicely!

zoltani

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2016, 11:47:28 AM »
When I've done collage workshops, some PVA (Elmers-type) white glue usually does the trick, and should be available at local craft shops. Anything else you need for transfers or other techniques can be ordered online. As for papers, fabrics and other materials, it's up to your imagination. Post any results for us here!

Thanks for the tips! Now I will have to find the time to actually do it!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2016, 12:38:08 PM »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2016, 01:04:41 PM »
[Edit: This is in reference to the mermaid picture at the bottom of the previous page.]

Whoah, those are some creepy rib-gills.  And it looks like she's about to eat some sort of sea-slug?  Don't mess with that lady.

I see you went with some sort of algae bra, rather than the more traditional sea shell.

I remain in awe of your artistic ability. 
8D Thank you muchly.
I mean ;P Who doesn't put rib gills on their fish ladies?

Enjoying the latest updates!
The saga of mermaid illustration continuessssss....
That's coming along really nicely!
:D Thank you! Hoping to paint this sucker by the weekend...

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2016, 03:59:22 PM »
Made a new one today! One more spread and this altered book will be full

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2016, 04:23:06 PM »
Love seeing how creative everyone is! Joggernut, i love the miner. Tres cool.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2016, 05:05:37 PM »
Those are really impressive Joggernot!
Love seeing how creative everyone is! Joggernut, i love the miner. Tres cool.
Thank you!  I'm getting ready to paint a few more next week.  I'll try to post some here.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2016, 05:25:26 PM »
Sometimes autocorrect makes me feel like this

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2016, 07:36:09 PM »
Sending this tomorrow to a friend who would live in the sea if she could. Pen, three SAIL magazines, one Inc. magazine, and glue stick on paper

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2016, 07:38:43 PM »
I love it, Russ! :D

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2016, 08:00:28 PM »
I am making a baby afghan for expecting coworkers.  It will be black and white with a lavender border.  I love giving people bright afghans.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2016, 07:50:11 PM »
I love it, Russ! :D

Thanks <3

on a bit of a collage kick rn

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2016, 06:59:42 AM »
I'm knitting wash clothes to sell as 'hand-made reusable napkins' during my county's festival in a few months. It's not great art, and the design is really simple (I'm a self-taught beginning knitter) but it gives me something to do while watching English murder mysteries.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2016, 07:02:08 AM »
I'm knitting wash clothes to sell as 'hand-made reusable napkins' during my county's festival in a few months. It's not great art, and the design is really simple (I'm a self-taught beginning knitter) but it gives me something to do while watching English murder mysteries.
Excellent!  Both for the art and for the mysteries...:)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2016, 07:19:19 AM »

I love English murder mysteries, especially historical series.

Your woodwork is fantastic! How did you get into that?

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2016, 07:37:18 AM »
Russ, I love those collages!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2016, 07:42:45 AM »
Yes, very cool collages, Russ! And ms madge, your art is so lovely. I also like the afghans by LorettaLynn. So much talent here!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2016, 11:34:15 AM »

My wood carving started in Cub Scouts, through Boy Scouts.  Then off and on through the rest of my life until a couple years before I retired (62).  I knew I needed something to keep me busy, so I restarted the thing I enjoyed doing and have continued to today.
Yes, I also knit.  Got started in high school because I didn't have money for a nice sweater, so I learned to knit.  Made my sweaters through college and again after I retired.  Dishcloths were my latest effort after a few stocking hats, fingerless gloves, and things.
And, yes, I like English mysteries.  Also AbFab...

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2016, 01:20:15 PM »
Its great to see all the artists here!

I just finished my Copic coloring certifications a week ago. The first evening they threw in a bonus class from 5 to 8pm on coloring flowers. Here's what I colored. I was an art major in a previous lifetime and took many drawing, painting and design classes back in the day. I've just picked up papercrafting less than 2 years ago, that is how I stumbled upon Copic markers (Japanese anime markers). I do plan to do some of my own lineart, but in the meantime I have many coloring books and stamps to practice on!

These markers blend like butter and are very vibrant, they are an awesome medium.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2016, 01:55:49 PM »

My wood carving started in Cub Scouts, through Boy Scouts.  Then off and on through the rest of my life until a couple years before I retired (62).  I knew I needed something to keep me busy, so I restarted the thing I enjoyed doing and have continued to today.
Yes, I also knit.  Got started in high school because I didn't have money for a nice sweater, so I learned to knit.  Made my sweaters through college and again after I retired.  Dishcloths were my latest effort after a few stocking hats, fingerless gloves, and things.
And, yes, I like English mysteries.  Also AbFab...

I've been thinking of picking up wood carving. I have no idea how to get started though. I'd like to make gnomes and houses.

Sweaters are a bit beyond me now, but I'll get there eventually! My next project will probably be a scarf.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2016, 02:02:33 PM »

I just finished my Copic coloring certifications a week ago. The first evening they threw in a bonus class from 5 to 8pm on coloring flowers. Here's what I colored. I was an art major in a previous lifetime and took many drawing, painting and design classes back in the day. I've just picked up papercrafting less than 2 years ago, that is how I stumbled upon Copic markers (Japanese anime markers). I do plan to do some of my own lineart, but in the meantime I have many coloring books and stamps to practice on!

These markers blend like butter and are very vibrant, they are an awesome medium.

... You can get "certified" using copic markers?
The flowers look great!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »
Here are some links to get you excited!  Best way to learn is to find a wood carving club near you and go.  Unfortunately, they usually meet in the daytime during the week, but call/go and you can meet with someone who will work with you.  I have a man I'm working with now to teach him to carve better.  The site with all the clubs listed doesn't seem to be up just now, so post a short request on the Woodcarvers List on Facebook.  They will respond fairly quickly.  If no club, ask if there is anyone near you that you can learn from.  Lots of books at the last link's store.  Lots to learn.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/woodcarverlist/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/418485591546954/

http://woodcarvingillustrated.com/

I apologize for the foam.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »

I really like these flowers.  Do you think Copic markers would work on wood?  I'd like to try the blending you achieve.  I try using wet acrylics, but they don't look that good.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2016, 02:31:58 PM »

I really like these flowers.  Do you think Copic markers would work on wood?  I'd like to try the blending you achieve.  I try using wet acrylics, but they don't look that good.
I'd guess copics are a no-go on wood. They're alcohol based iirc, and really act more like watercolors than anything else (at least on paper) albeit permanent ones. It could be worth trying, though? I think it would soak in weirdly, and not lay solid color.

ETA: Fair warning, too, that copics are Very Expensive. Think $5-6 a pop. I was priced out of using them, but they certainly are cool as heck!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2016, 02:48:27 PM »

I just took an online watercolor class where one of the assignments was watercolor on wood -- she treated the wood with a mixture of clear gesso and matte varnish first. I haven't done the assignment yet myself but the work she and the other students did was GORGEOUS. And the surface looks to be very forgiving. Might be worth playing with.

ETA: check this out!
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/53972895509624198/

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2016, 02:51:13 PM »
Duh! Great thought Ms Madge.
Gesso will solve a lot of problems. :)

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2016, 02:56:37 PM »
great idea for a thread! i like seeing what folks are arting :)

i've been painting and drawing a lot the last few months -- the attached pic is probably my favorite thing i've done so far. colored pencil on black gesso and i love her so.

I've only just come across this thread, but I have to say this is a fantastic drawing! I'm using it as my desktop background - I hope that's OK.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2016, 03:18:27 PM »
great idea for a thread! i like seeing what folks are arting :)

i've been painting and drawing a lot the last few months -- the attached pic is probably my favorite thing i've done so far. colored pencil on black gesso and i love her so.

I've only just come across this thread, but I have to say this is a fantastic drawing! I'm using it as my desktop background - I hope that's OK.

Thank you! I'm very happy that you like it enough to want to look at it as your desktop! Huge grin over here :D

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2016, 04:49:16 PM »
The Construction of a Regular Pentagon

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2016, 06:59:59 AM »
Here are some links to get you excited!  Best way to learn is to find a wood carving club near you and go.  Unfortunately, they usually meet in the daytime during the week, but call/go and you can meet with someone who will work with you.  I have a man I'm working with now to teach him to carve better.  The site with all the clubs listed doesn't seem to be up just now, so post a short request on the Woodcarvers List on Facebook.  They will respond fairly quickly.  If no club, ask if there is anyone near you that you can learn from.  Lots of books at the last link's store.  Lots to learn.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/woodcarverlist/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/418485591546954/

http://woodcarvingillustrated.com/

I apologize for the foam.

This is the good kind of foam: the foam where people don't argue but instead share information and tips. I'm at work, but I'll check out those links later this weekend. Thank you!

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2016, 07:25:38 AM »
I've had a bit of an art hiatus, but recently started watching some youtube art tutorials, and did some yesterday and today.

Posted in order completed - I think the second one is my favourite so far, I wasn't sure about the third one, but it is growing on me.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2016, 10:39:29 AM »
Oooh Flyingkea, those are lovely!

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2016, 09:27:16 AM »
Oooh Flyingkea, those are lovely!

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2016, 03:50:05 PM »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2016, 07:40:59 PM »
Currently procrastinating on editing short stories by... doing spot illustrations of said short stories.
;P

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2016, 09:50:51 PM »
Currently procrastinating on editing short stories by... doing spot illustrations of said short stories.
;P

Those are pro quality. I have always been good at whatever visual art I do but have lacked pro quality. I think it may be a failure of commitment to and mastery of a style. I used to have a problem with critzism of my work. I felt like it had to completely come from me to be genuine. I have matured a little and learned to view others techniques as tools for self expression. Great work man.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2016, 11:29:55 PM »
Oil painting of the Orosi River valley in Costa Rica.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2016, 11:30:46 PM »
Weird...that's upside down

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2016, 07:40:03 AM »
;P

Those are pro quality. I have always been good at whatever visual art I do but have lacked pro quality. I think it may be a failure of commitment to and mastery of a style. I used to have a problem with critzism of my work. I felt like it had to completely come from me to be genuine. I have matured a little and learned to view others techniques as tools for self expression. Great work man.
Thanks!

"Pro quality" is, I think, just time. Not just with a particular piece, but with a medium. That, and having a clear idea of what you're making. Composition and structure, subject emotional resonance, picking your color palette... these are all things that ought to be carefully thought about. :) If you have a gut reaction, that's fine, but it's important to deconstruct why. Is it because the colors are complimentary? Or that grayscale lends itself to starkness which is what you are trying to convey?

Not quite sure what you mean by "others techniques as tools for self expression." Unless you invented the pencil, all your work has been on borrowed tools. In fact, I'd harbor a guess that 99% of your images, your sense of what looks good, of what constitutes art at all, are borrowed. Which is okay! That's just what it means to work in not in a vacuum, but as part of a larger tradition. We make things that resonate, with ourselves and others, specifically for that reason. :)

... that got long winded.
XD
I have art feels.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2016, 08:38:25 AM »
;P

Thanks!

"Pro quality" is, I think, just time. Not just with a particular piece, but with a medium. That, and having a clear idea of what you're making. Composition and structure, subject emotional resonance, picking your color palette... these are all things that ought to be carefully thought about. :) If you have a gut reaction, that's fine, but it's important to deconstruct why. Is it because the colors are complimentary? Or that grayscale lends itself to starkness which is what you are trying to convey?

Not quite sure what you mean by "others techniques as tools for self expression." Unless you invented the pencil, all your work has been on borrowed tools. In fact, I'd harbor a guess that 99% of your images, your sense of what looks good, of what constitutes art at all, are borrowed. Which is okay! That's just what it means to work in not in a vacuum, but as part of a larger tradition. We make things that resonate, with ourselves and others, specifically for that reason. :)

... that got long winded.
XD
I have art feels.

You captured the essence of what I was trying to say. My lines for what constitutes copying were blurred. I have a different view now. And I probably could give more time to one medium. I should spend more time making art in general. I enjoy it

My aunt used to be a character illustrator before they went computer animation. She says if you master a freehand circle you have mastered control. She holds a pencil like a paint brush way at the back with 2-4" of pencil in front. She took a few years break to mother her kids and the industry changed. She doesn't use her talent now she nannies. It's sad. She drew An American Tail, Rockadoodle, and All Dogs Go To Heaven

I had a neighbor years ago that did airbrush landscapes for a really good living. I tried to gain some pearls from him but he was much more reluctant to share. He would just tell me I could make whatever I wanted to.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 09:03:30 AM by mrpercentage »

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
Love this outpouring of creativity!

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2016, 10:08:41 PM »
A not-upside-down photo, with a bit more completed.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2016, 05:15:55 AM »
It is looking beautiful :) I love the pops of red-brown; they make it seem so rich.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2016, 08:56:37 PM »

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2016, 07:23:36 AM »
This thread is fantastic! Here's a watercolour poster I made for my friends house. Right before she left it in a bench at the train station! More practice for me!

I also drew my avatar :)

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2016, 02:27:29 PM »
Sadly even murals have an experiation date. My older son doesn't seem to dig this anymore. Then again he didn't chose it when I painted it