Author Topic: What are the realistic impacts of a Trump presidency?  (Read 498355 times)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are the realistic impacts of a Trump presidency?
« Reply #2950 on: April 19, 2017, 08:22:41 AM »
The one child policy helped to lift China out of exploding population growth and enable hundreds of millions of Chinese to be lifted up out of poverty.
Would you support Trump if he were to propose a similar policy here?
The One Child policy obviously had major problems. But, I would support it if the GOP, say, didn't actively work against sex education and family planning services so that Americans can make informed decisions about when and how many children they have. The level of understanding on this in many populations in our country is pretty scary and leads to a lot of unwanted/unplanned/extra pregnancies. IMO the sweet spot on this is in the middle. It is not a false choice as you have framed it.

Like Colorado: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/science/colorados-push-against-teenage-pregnancies-is-a-startling-success.html

Wow excellent article !!   This statistic jumped out at me, "half of the 6.6 million pregnancies a year in the United States are unintended"

Overall implants and IUD's helped to lift women out of poverty.

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2951 on: April 19, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »
Sean Spicer (who I think is awesome)

I am truly speechless.  I think you may be the only person in America who thinks that man is "awesome".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ9vt1Kbrp4
He misspoke. He said Hitler was despicable. Stating that he's endorsing Hitler or denying the Holocaust is ridiculous. Just a not-well-thought-out comment. Nothing more, nothing less.

I like him because he's not afraid to tel the truth. He's not afraid to confront the media when they tell lies and make up controversies. Instead of being a lifeless drone, he tries to be as transparent as possible, and say what him and Trump's voters truly believe in.

But instead of listening to the right, people on the left just want to make mountains out of every little mole hill they see, only pushing more people away from their cause.

Rather than learning from this election (which was a big f u from the working class in this country), people are becoming more ridiculous and more violent.

I mean, Spicer really started getting attacked when he made the comment about the crowd size at Trump's inauguration. Then CNN and all these other media outlets started calling him a liar, and turning people against him. I don't quite remember the exact time, but the photos taken as "proof" the crowds were small was taken at something like 6am. Well before masses started showing up. That's fake news. And Spicer is the bad guy for calling them out?

But, I'm sure that you'll just brush it off, and not listen to me in saying why it is that I, and many other Trump supporters, like guys like Spicer. And because of that, not seeing it from our perspective, you, like many others, will fall into the same trap again. And Trump will be reelected. The 2018 elections will be a blowout in favor of the right.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2952 on: April 19, 2017, 08:26:51 AM »
It's because people are sick of being told that they're racist, homophobes, xenophobes, misogynistic, and that they owe the world because they're not a minority.

It's because they want a good story, and to feel good about themselves. It's the one thing Trump might be good at. His narrative unified enough people in the right places to win the Electoral College, but no more than that.

It doesn't matter that the things he says aren't true, or that he's advocating policies harmful to people outside his tribe. At least not to him and his tribe.

It's literally the worst of human nature exploited to consolidate political power.

I am truly speechless.  I think you may be the only person in America who thinks that man is "awesome".

He misspoke. He said Hitler was despicable. Stating that he's endorsing Hitler or denying the Holocaust is ridiculous. Just a not-well-thought-out comment. Nothing more, nothing less.

I like him because he's not afraid to tel the truth. He's not afraid to confront the media when they tell lies and make up controversies. Instead of being a lifeless drone, he tries to be as transparent as possible, and say what him and Trump's voters truly believe in.

See above. Spicer isn't being particularly truthful in the objective sense. He's being true to the narrative.

Someone who was objectively truthful would've simply apologized for misspeaking and left it at that. Spicer floundered for at least 60 seconds trying to justify what he said. It was painful to watch.

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2953 on: April 19, 2017, 08:28:14 AM »
Instead of realizing the reality of the situation, people (particularly antifa) are starting to get violent towards conservatives.

Can you please explain the term "antifa" to me, as you understand it?

Because to me, that word means "anti-fascists" and is basically synonymous with "good people who believe in equality and thus oppose the type of fascism that was so popular during WWII".  Fascists hate democracy.  Fascists thought WWI was awesome, and wanted a repeat performance.  Fascists used violence against their fellow citizens to coerce support for their authoritarian dictators.  Fascists suck.  Being anti-fascist is awesome.  By this definition, we should ALL be anti-fascists.

And yet some folks, like you apparently, use the term "antifa" in a derogatory manner to belittle and demean people who oppose fascism.  So that means you support fascism?  Usually, I hear that word from people like Richard Spencer, who makes a living going on television and saying outrageous things about what a great guy Hitler was.  I find it almost shocking to hear that word in any other context outside of blatantly inflammatory bigotry designed to offend people.  Is that your intent here, too?

I won't even address the rest of your post until this issue is cleared up first, because if you're just here to troll people (as your use of the word "antifa" suggests) then there's little point in arguing with your content.
Sorry, I forgot to capitalize. I meant Antifa, the group. The ones that are destroying Berkley, and any other place a conservative dare step into to speak.

But I'm sure you'll tell me that throwing M-80's at people, hitting them with bats, breaking windows, and burning down cars and even businesses is "peaceful", or that it's fake news. It's not. The videos don't lie.

Don't even get me started on their political ideology. They're not against fascists, they're against anyone that doesn't subscribe to every little tenant of their beliefs. There is absolutely nothing about the Trump administration that screams fascist any more than any other President we've had over the last 200 years.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2954 on: April 19, 2017, 08:31:54 AM »

But instead of listening to the right, people on the left just want to make mountains out of every little mole hill they see, only pushing more people away from their cause.

Rather than learning from this election (which was a big f u from the working class in this country), people are becoming more ridiculous and more violent.

I mean, Spicer really started getting attacked when he made the comment about the crowd size at Trump's inauguration. Then CNN and all these other media outlets started calling him a liar, and turning people against him. I don't quite remember the exact time, but the photos taken as "proof" the crowds were small was taken at something like 6am. Well before masses started showing up. That's fake news. And Spicer is the bad guy for calling them out?

But, I'm sure that you'll just brush it off, and not listen to me in saying why it is that I, and many other Trump supporters, like guys like Spicer. And because of that, not seeing it from our perspective, you, like many others, will fall into the same trap again. And Trump will be reelected. The 2018 elections will be a blowout in favor of the right.

Oh, man. This is just so sad.

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2955 on: April 19, 2017, 08:34:35 AM »

It's because they want a good story, and to feel good about themselves. It's the one thing Trump might be good at. His narrative unified enough people in the right places to win the Electoral College, but no more than that.

It doesn't matter that the things he says aren't true, or that he's advocating policies harmful to people outside his tribe. At least not to him and his tribe.

It's literally the worst of human nature exploited to consolidate political power.

And that's what the left believes. They think the right is full of uneducated sheep that are always so susceptible to being exploited and lied to.

But the left fails to realize that that kind of insulting rhetoric is exactly why Trump was elected. The left would rather shame and name-call than discuss the issues. They'd rather shut down rallies than respectfully disagree. Whether it's Trump, Milo, Shapiro, or any number of people, the left chooses to silence and be violent, and then they wonder why people voted against them.

All I'm saying is that, until people genuinely understand why conservatives truly elected Trump, the right will continue to become bigger and bigger every day.

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2956 on: April 19, 2017, 08:40:09 AM »

Oh, man. This is just so sad.
Why is that? People always wonder just how Trump got elected, and why people voted for him. I'm trying to explain why I did, but I'm just met with people either not addressing my points, or calling me names almost every time I do.

But then people wonder why Trump won. It's precisely because conservatives were thrown to the curb to be discarded. Only to be picked up and cleaned off by Trump. It's why he won the rust belt. Why his message resonated so greatly with the trade-heavy liberal states.

Trump didn't win because of conservatives, he won because liberals pushed conservatives too far. Rather than understand that, people are just becoming more and more ridiculous. How do liberals expect conservatives to see the light of their ideology if all we see if women pouring period blood on themselves, masked thugs smashing windows, and people calling us names?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2957 on: April 19, 2017, 08:44:23 AM »

All I'm saying is that, until people genuinely understand why conservatives truly elected Trump, the right will continue to become bigger and bigger every day.

We already know why conservatives truly elected Trump, because they are anti-abortion, want the freedom to discriminate against minorities, and prevent gay people from gaining the right to employment non-discrimination.

A lot of people who voted for Trump are not conservative, they have been misled by populist rhetoric, and when they realize they have been conned, like when they lose health insurance, or grasp that the manufacturing jobs aren't coming back for them, they won't be voting for him in 2020.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2958 on: April 19, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »

And that's what the left believes. They think the right is full of uneducated sheep that are always so susceptible to being exploited and lied to.

But the left fails to realize that that kind of insulting rhetoric is exactly why Trump was elected. The left would rather shame and name-call than discuss the issues. They'd rather shut down rallies than respectfully disagree. Whether it's Trump, Milo, Shapiro, or any number of people, the left chooses to silence and be violent, and then they wonder why people voted against them.

Are you misinterpreting what I said on purpose? Or is it unintentional?

I never said anything about the people who voted for him being uneducated sheep. You did.

The fact remains, the Trump narrative is carefully crafted and chooses its facts.

The inauguration crowd count is a perfect microcosm of the narrative in action. You're even doing it here, "the right will continue to become bigger and bigger" presumes that there are more people in "the right" than there were before, and that it's growing. It doesn't matter if it's true, keep shouting it to rally the troops. It's myth in the traditional sense (think Rome).

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2959 on: April 19, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »

There are two things here that I stronlgy disagree with: 1) that Sean Spicer tells the truth and that 2) he offers a greater level of transparency than other WH press secretaries.

There are numerous instances when Spicer has pushed a narrative that directly contradicts easily obtainable facts.  A few instances include his insistence that DJT's inaugeration was the most attended in history, that he received the most electoral votes of any candidate since Reagan and that Paul Manafort played a very limited role in the campaign.  All of those statements are demonstrably false, yet he stood by each (and other claims) even after others brought up evidence contradicting him.
In regards to transparency, in his role as WH press secretary he's prohibited many of the largest media organizations from attending certain functions (nicknamed "gaggles") and has most recently denied requests for white house visitor logs - something his predecessors have provided.

I don't doubt that Spicer has been told to push these positions by his boss, but that doesn't make what he says truthful or transparent.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2960 on: April 19, 2017, 09:03:38 AM »

There are two things here that I stronlgy disagree with: 1) that Sean Spicer tells the truth and that 2) he offers a greater level of transparency than other WH press secretaries.

There are numerous instances when Spicer has pushed a narrative that directly contradicts easily obtainable facts.  A few instances include his insistence that DJT's inaugeration was the most attended in history, that he received the most electoral votes of any candidate since Reagan and that Paul Manafort played a very limited role in the campaign.  All of those statements are demonstrably false, yet he stood by each (and other claims) even after others brought up evidence contradicting him.
In regards to transparency, in his role as WH press secretary he's prohibited many of the largest media organizations from attending certain functions (nicknamed "gaggles") and has most recently denied requests for white house visitor logs - something his predecessors have provided.

I don't doubt that Spicer has been told to push these positions by his boss, but that doesn't make what he says truthful or transparent.

Calling their own actions "truthful" and "transparent" is also part of the narrative.

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2961 on: April 19, 2017, 09:15:31 AM »

We already know why conservatives truly elected Trump, because they are anti-abortion, want the freedom to discriminate against minorities, and prevent gay people from gaining the right to employment non-discrimination.

A lot of people who voted for Trump are not conservative, they have been misled by populist rhetoric, and when they realize they have been conned, like when they lose health insurance, or grasp that the manufacturing jobs aren't coming back for them, they won't be voting for him in 2020.
But what you don't realize is that by insulting conservatives and boiling down many of their well-thought-out reasons to what YOU incorrectly identify as the actual ones, you're only turning them away.

I always think it's funny when people (not saying you) try to tell me why I voted for Trump. They'll say stuff like, "you homophobic Christian", not realizing that I'm both pro-gay marriage, and also an atheist. But even after I say that, they'll just find other names to call me.

Nothing will change unless people stop slandering each other. Neither people on the left or the right are big, bad boogeymen. Maybe, just maybe, people voted for Trump because they believe in his policies.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2962 on: April 19, 2017, 09:29:17 AM »

Nothing will change unless people stop slandering each other. Neither people on the left or the right are big, bad boogeymen. Maybe, just maybe, people voted for Trump because they believe in his policies.

Does that extend to not saying things like?

He's not afraid to confront the media when they tell lies and make up controversies.

And this? There were numerous photos taken from a variety of vantage points throughout the day, all telling the same story.

Or does it only apply to people who disagree with (thus "slandering") the tribe?

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2963 on: April 19, 2017, 09:38:57 AM »

And this? There were numerous photos taken from a variety of vantage points throughout the day, all telling the same story.

No, the ones taken later in the day, while obviously not showing the biggest attendance in history, shows the media's attempt to suggest that he's so unpopular that only a few people came is simply not true. Or what about the rape allegations. Or people claiming that Trump's list (not his list) purposely didn't include countries he does business with. Or the Russian hacking allegations. Or the claim that he said that immigrants are rapists. Or the claim that he broke tax laws. Or that he's a sexual predator. All lies or unsubstantiated claims. All perpetuated by the left.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2964 on: April 19, 2017, 09:39:47 AM »

But what you don't realize is that by insulting conservatives and boiling down many of their well-thought-out reasons to what YOU incorrectly identify as the actual ones, you're only turning them away.

I always think it's funny when people (not saying you) try to tell me why I voted for Trump. They'll say stuff like, "you homophobic Christian", not realizing that I'm both pro-gay marriage, and also an atheist. But even after I say that, they'll just find other names to call me.

What policies?  Jobs, bringing manufacturing back?  Deporting illegals so that Americans can have the jobs picking crops?  Just because you voted for him for a certain reason does not mean everyone did for the same reasons you did.  Many people voted because they believed his lies. I know one person that voted for him because they assumed he would be impeached and didn't want the Clintons back in the White House.  But assuming that everyone voted for him for the same reason you did just proves the right wing echo chamber theory.  Both the left and the right have their share of hypocrites, but unfortunately the GOP has a much higher percentage.  Someone else posted earlier about partisan support of Obama action on Syria and Trump action on Syria and the Dem support was about the same for both.  GOP, not so much. 

I do think it is interesting to hear Trump supporters continually claim that the conservative right is getting bigger and bigger and 2018 will result in more GOP wins in the House and Senate.  This is only anecdotal, but I've spoken with many people since the election and many Independents voted for Republican House and Senate candidates since they thought Hilary was going to win and they are horrified at Trump. 

Spicer truthful and transparent?  That does not even deserve a response.  My Independent self and my Republican husband had a bet going right now whether Trump will be forced out by impeachment or RICO.  I find it incredibly hard to believe that due to his greed, vengeful nature and disrespect for the rule of law that he will even finish his term, much less a second term. 

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2965 on: April 19, 2017, 09:40:36 AM »
Maybe, just maybe, people voted for Trump because they believe in his policies.

Trump is not a policy driven person, he's driven by his narcissistic need for adulation and praise. Trump doesn't understand policy, his policy thoughts are self-contradictory. Trump understands publicity, press coverage, ratings, and the art of the con. Trump likes gilded rooms, authoritarian leaders, showing off wealth, and obeisance from those around him. 

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2966 on: April 19, 2017, 09:41:42 AM »
Trump is not a policy driven person, he's driven by his narcissistic need for adulation and praise. Trump doesn't understand policy, his policy thoughts are self-contradictory. Trump understands publicity, press coverage, ratings, and the art of the con. Trump likes gilded rooms, authoritarian leaders, showing off wealth, and obeisance from those around him.

Policy documents tend to be more than 1 page long so there is no way Trump could ever be a policy person. ;)

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2967 on: April 19, 2017, 09:43:01 AM »

No, the ones taken later in the day, while obviously not showing the biggest attendance in history, shows the media's attempt to suggest that he's so unpopular that only a few people came is simply not true. Or what about the rape allegations. Or people claiming that Trump's list (not his list) purposely didn't include countries he does business with. Or the Russian hacking allegations. Or the claim that he said that immigrants are rapists. Or the claim that he broke tax laws. Or that he's a sexual predator. All lies or unsubstantiated claims. All perpetuated by the left.

Are you so sure these are all lies or unsubstantiated claims?  But of course Obama wiretapped, Susan Rice committed a felony, Bill Clinton should have gone to jail for rape, etc, etc.

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2968 on: April 19, 2017, 09:43:26 AM »

I do think it is interesting to hear Trump supporters continually claim that the conservative right is getting bigger and bigger and 2018 will result in more GOP wins in the House and Senate.  This is only anecdotal, but I've spoken with many people since the election and many Independents voted for Republican House and Senate candidates since they thought Hilary was going to win and they are horrified at Trump. 

Well, I don't think any here on opposite sides of the spectrum will agree, so I'll leave with this: the same people that think Republicans will lose in '18 and '20 are the same ones that were absolutely certain that Clinton and the Democrats were going to demolish the elections. But they forget about the leaners. The people that lean in and whisper that they're voting for Trump, but won't say it in fear of backlash. But that fear goes away in the privacy of polling booths. And it showed on election night all across the country. It wasn't just Trump, it was every election that was held. Lots of closet conservatives.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2969 on: April 19, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »

Well, I don't think any here on opposite sides of the spectrum will agree, so I'll leave with this: the same people that think Republicans will lose in '18 and '20 are the same ones that were absolutely certain that Clinton and the Democrats were going to demolish the elections. But they forget about the leaners. The people that lean in and whisper that they're voting for Trump, but won't say it in fear of backlash. But that fear goes away in the privacy of polling booths. And it showed on election night all across the country. It wasn't just Trump, it was every election that was held. Lots of closet conservatives.

Maybe, but many conservatives have forgotten about 2006.  And that the pendulum always swings back.  Always. 

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2970 on: April 19, 2017, 09:54:50 AM »

This is rhetorical whack-a-mole. You're just throwing up a laundry list of crap that may or may not hold water, and then attributing it to a leftist conspiracy while being utterly un-critical of the administration's story.

I haven't seen anyone claim he broke tax law. I've seen plenty of claims that he's exploited tax law in bad faith and treats his vendors poorly.

Personally, I don't discount rape allegations out of hand, and I understand the reasons why it's so hard to get a conviction. Just going to lump this in with "sexual predator."

I've seen full clip of the rapists/immigrants thing, and I understand the nuance of what he said. I still think it's a deceptive statement.

I can't really make heads or tails of your "lists" comment.

The Russian hacking allegations are serious, and have been made by serious people with bona fides. I think we should look at them apolitically, which hasn't happened.

FiveThirtyEight had a whole series dissecting the 2016 election results versus polls, and the number of closeted Trump supporters was pretty insignificant compared to other factors.

If there were so many closet conservatives, then why did so many increased minimum wage laws pass? Marijuana legalization?

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2971 on: April 19, 2017, 10:05:40 AM »
Interjection with a lighthearted take on a serious issue. This website is awesome:

https://istrumpatmaralago.org

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2972 on: April 19, 2017, 10:57:02 AM »

Color me baffled why you would consider many of your examples "lies or unsubstantiated claims" that are "all perpetuated by the left".
There are three FBI probes into Russian hacking, and both the CIA and FBI have said publicly that Russia attempted to interfere with the election (source)

I wouldn't go so far as to call Trump a rapist, but his sexual improprieties have been extensively documented, not just by the lewd comments on the 'hot-mic' Hollywood Access video, but on air with Howard Stern, covered in the tabloids during his last two divorces, and on the set of The Apprentice.

Like NoStacheOhio said I haven't it said that he's cheated on his taxes, but his utter lack of transparency doesn't help things.  A bigger concern to me is potential conflicts of interest, which he also won't disclose.

I share your frustration that some left-leaning individuals label republicans as being racist bigots and how that can be counterproductive, but it certainly isn't everyone, or even a majority (unless you'd like to provide a source showing how I"m wrong).

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #2973 on: April 19, 2017, 11:33:24 AM »

I share your frustration that some left-leaning individuals label republicans as being racist bigots and how that can be counterproductive, but it certainly isn't everyone, or even a majority (unless you'd like to provide a source showing how I"m wrong).

I don't understand why so many Republicans all of a sudden need the approval/acceptance of the 'left'  - approval from the very people they've demonized for decades. If you've been calling me 'bleeding heart' /  Chairman Mao / evil liberal elite / idiot leftist for 20 years, I'm not exactly going to embrace you when you gleefully support a lecherous egotist of such low character as Trump.

Why am I expected to shrug that name-calling off, but a Republican can't take being called racist? (Not that I've personally called anyone racist - but IMO if you don't understand the legacy of the post-reconstruction prison-lease system you have no standing to have any sort of a claim that the US is 'post racial' or color blind or that somehow racism isn't endemic in our justice system).

Why would a Republican need my acceptance after calling me so many derisive names for so long? Not that I identify as any particular label. I was registered GOP for 20 years for goodness sakes. But I'll take science and humanity over plutocracy and darwinianism every time, so I if I had to pick a label I'd currently identify as progressive liberal. I'm a big fan of government protecting all of our rights, unlike Trump's AG Jeff Sessions who not only supports Civil Asset Forfeiture ( a clear violation of 4th and 5th amendments), but also supports the war on drugs - a clear violation of my personal liberties as well. But those laws won't apply to the elite classes of wealth so Sessions and Trump don't see what the hullabaloo's about.

Anyone who supports the GOP at this point clearly craves plutocracy and darwinian winner-takes-all society.  And guess what - you've got it. You won. You don't get hugs and loves and acceptance from me too.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:40:48 AM by Malaysia41 »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2974 on: April 19, 2017, 11:57:11 AM »

I don't understand why so many Republicans all of a sudden need the approval/acceptance of the 'left'  - approval from the very people they've demonized for decades. If you've been calling me 'bleeding heart' /  Chairman Mao / evil liberal elite / idiot leftist for 20 years, I'm not exactly going to embrace you when you gleefully support a lecherous egotist of such low character as Trump.

Why am I expected to shrug that name-calling off, but a Republican can't take being called racist? (Not that I've personally called anyone racist - but IMO if you don't understand the legacy of the post-reconstruction prison-lease system you have no standing to have any sort of a claim that the US is 'post racial' or color blind or that somehow racism isn't endemic in our justice system).

Why would a Republican need my acceptance after calling me so many derisive names for so long? Not that I identify as any particular label. I was registered GOP for 20 years for goodness sakes. But I'll take science and humanity over plutocracy and darwinianism every time, so I if I had to pick a label I'd currently identify as progressive liberal. I'm a big fan of government protecting all of our rights, unlike Trump's AG Jeff Sessions who not only supports Civil Asset Forfeiture ( a clear violation of 4th and 5th amendments), but also supports the war on drugs - a clear violation of my personal liberties as well. But those laws won't apply to the elite classes of wealth so Sessions and Trump don't see what the hullabaloo's about.

Anyone who supports the GOP at this point clearly craves plutocracy and darwinian winner-takes-all society.  And guess what - you've got it. You won. You don't get hugs and loves and acceptance from me too.

On a related note, I find it interesting and kind of infuriating when people say that the Democratic Party lost because their policies don't help the working class that voted Trump. As though the GOP, or any of the policies that Trump will enact, will actually end up helping them. Trump won because he exploited the fears and frustrations of his base for his own political gain and financial gain. End of story. Any non-billionaire supporter of his will get nothing in exchange for their support. In fact, it’s reasonable to assume Trump supporters as a whole will be worse off at the end of his presidency, as a direct result of the things he does. And they will likely still be crowing about how he won, like it was some sort of personal victory for them, instead of just a money-making opportunity for him. They’ve been duped, and they think they’ve actually won something more than just a hollow victory to throw in the face of their hated “libtard” bogeymen. And that is very, very sad.

On an also-related note, I think maybe Trae Crowder should be appointed to take over leadership of the DNC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CnayKa3EKs
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:59:16 AM by Kris »

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2975 on: April 19, 2017, 12:50:43 PM »
Klaus Von Klausowitz, Bavarian pipe fitter from Germany's Rust Belt, supporter of Adolf Hitler, one of the "forgotten Germans," speaking on Hitler's recent election victory in 1932:

"What the left doesn't get is that Adolf Hitler won because he tells it like it is, and for his policies. He's making Germany Great Again. German working people were getting tired of being vilified by the left, and the country being mistreated after The Great War to End All Wars. If you disagree with the liberals here, your chocolate shop or pretzel factory gets burned down by liberal anarchists. We're tired of getting yelled at just because of our conservative views. That's why Mr. Hitler won 99.9% of the popular vote and has such large turnouts at his rallies (Joseph Goebells has verified those figures).

Adolf Hitler is going to bring back jobs to Germany. There will be so many manufacturing jobs. And he's strong on the military -- I like that. Liberals keep screaming about how Hitler is a fascist, and saying all his supporters are fascists and racists. The European press keeps putting out "fake news" about how Hitler wants to get rid of Jews and gypsies and homosexuals and invade Poland. They don't even give him a chance. They don't realize how many of us like what Hitler says, we just don't go around saying it out loud, otherwise we get attacked for our views. Keep it up, and you'll all be surprised when he's re-elected in '36 and '40 and '44 and '48 and '52..."

<satire>

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2976 on: April 19, 2017, 12:54:16 PM »
In fact, it’s reasonable to assume Trump supporters as a whole will be worse off at the end of his presidency, as a direct result of the things he does. And they will likely still be crowing about how he won, like it was some sort of personal victory for them, instead of just a money-making opportunity for him. They’ve been duped, and they think they’ve actually won something more than just a hollow victory to throw in the face of their hated “libtard” bogeymen. And that is very, very sad.

I think some are realizing that they've been duped, given the recent Kansas and Georgia elections in strongly conservative districts. Ossof almost won outright (it's now a runoff) in a district that went 62% in 2016 for Tom Price. There's a shift happening and it's not looking good for the GOP.

Quote from: 538
The Republican +2 aggregate margin in Georgia 6 implies a national environment in which Democrats are competitive in a bunch of GOP-held House seats in 2018.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/5-takeaways-from-the-georgia-6-special-election-results/

The Georgia 6 Democrats outperformed the weighted average by 7.5 percentage points. In Kansas 4, Democrat James Thompson beat it by 22 points.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2977 on: April 19, 2017, 01:07:11 PM »
In fact, it’s reasonable to assume Trump supporters as a whole will be worse off at the end of his presidency, as a direct result of the things he does. And they will likely still be crowing about how he won, like it was some sort of personal victory for them, instead of just a money-making opportunity for him. They’ve been duped, and they think they’ve actually won something more than just a hollow victory to throw in the face of their hated “libtard” bogeymen. And that is very, very sad.

I think some are realizing that they've been duped, given the recent Kansas and Georgia elections in strongly conservative districts. Ossof almost won outright (it's now a runoff) in a district that went 62% in 2016 for Tom Price. There's a shift happening and it's not looking good for the GOP.

The Republican +2 aggregate margin in Georgia 6 implies a national environment in which Democrats are competitive in a bunch of GOP-held House seats in 2018.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/5-takeaways-from-the-georgia-6-special-election-results/

The Georgia 6 Democrats outperformed the weighted average by 7.5 percentage points. In Kansas 4, Democrat James Thompson beat it by 22 points.

There will be some who figure it out. How many, we'll have to see.

But there will be a good number of them who will never see it.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2978 on: April 19, 2017, 01:13:50 PM »
There will be some who figure it out. How many, we'll have to see.

But there will be a good number of them who will never see it.

True enough. Hey, almost 25% think Nixon didn't do anything wrong. Can't help those people.

In more good news, Bill O'Reilly was cut from Fox News. The settlement costs must be mounting. Also, Alex Jones might be on the list of has-beens depending on his custody trial. Tough decision for him -- act like an ass, keep his show but (probably) lose his children; act like a rational adult, keep his children but (probably) lose serious viewer numbers.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2979 on: April 19, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »

In more good news, Bill O'Reilly was cut from Fox News. The settlement costs must be mounting. Also, Alex Jones might be on the list of has-beens depending on his custody trial. Tough decision for him -- act like an ass, keep his show but (probably) lose his children; act like a rational adult, keep his children but (probably) lose serious viewer numbers.

If he were mustachian, he could choose #2 and call it "retirement."

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2980 on: April 19, 2017, 02:01:36 PM »
As has been mentioned, Canada has a history of doing bad stuff in the name of eugenics too.  I'm trying to point out that the (apparently commonly held by Americans) belief in the moral superiority of the United States comes more from jingoism than reality.
All countries have skeletons in their closets, some worse than others - no disagreement there. 

Here in the US, you can get ~50% of the population to agree we are on a morally bankrupt highway to hell every time we switch presidents.  Of course, it's a different 50% depending on who won. 

Short of murder (and the all too high number of that example: Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, etc.), the forced sterilization of ~100 million women is at least in contention for the absolute worst governmental action, and I would hope all agree that it was "a very bad thing" without the need to lessen that fact by saying "but _____ did [something bad] also."

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #2981 on: April 19, 2017, 03:02:26 PM »
So far I think he's doing fine.

Good stuff:
- Small business confidence WAY up. This is a big deal; growth and innovation come from small businesses, not the SP500 group-think gorillas.
http://www.nfib.com/surveys/small-business-economic-trends/
- N Korea recast as a China problem. Total negotiating badassity shown here.
- Strong message to world's minor dictatorships with Syria and MOAB strikes.
- Stopped some of the most egregious regulatory attacks on business; specifically energy
- Gorsuch. GORSUUUCH!!
- Defunded some federal abortion subsidies
- Law and Order. Trying to enforce immigration law. Illegal immigration way down.
- Badass heads for VA, Dept of Education, State Dept. Current VA is a disgrace; our education system maybe worse.
- Leading from the Front, domestically and internationally, torpedoes be damned
- Calling out Mainstream media. Great entertainment. Forcing the 4th estate into desperate hysterics. Media approval rating at all time lows.
- EO in support of 2nd Amendment
- Federal hiring freeze
- General panic and unrest in the Swamp. Excellent. He sure has the right enemies.
- Fast learner. He's never been a politician before. He's a quick study.
- Tax reform. we know it's coming, just not when or how much.

Concerning:
- Flips on foreign policy. This could be good: showing adaptability. He has more information now as Commander in Chief than as a private citizen. Or this could be bad: Converted by the military industrial complex?
- 'rushed' O-care vote. May be good: quickly identified the 'lay of the land' in the House. 'Know thy enemies' and all that. May be bad: too willing to compromise? Overall, I think the vote, pass or fail was a political win for Trump.

Bad
- Pettiness. Grow up. Then again, he warned us....

By the way, the Russian thing:
https://spectator.org/confirmed-john-brennan-colluded-with-foreign-spies-to-defeat-trump/
"One side did collude with foreign powers to tip the election — Hillary’s."
MSM pays this no mind. This kind of shennanigans is why we have a Trump in the WH, not a Cruz, or another Bush, or another Clinton....

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2982 on: April 19, 2017, 05:26:09 PM »
Hey Acroy, what do you mean by this?

N Korea recast as a China problem. Total negotiating badassity shown here.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #2983 on: April 19, 2017, 06:17:25 PM »
A medium length essay worth a read to the end.
http://www.stonekettle.com/2017/04/the-hubris-of-ignorance.html

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2984 on: April 19, 2017, 06:32:40 PM »
- 'rushed' O-care vote. May be good: quickly identified the 'lay of the land' in the House. 'Know thy enemies' and all that. May be bad: too willing to compromise? Overall, I think the vote, pass or fail was a political win for Trump.

You do realize that Day 1 has come and gone, right? The objective was to Repeal and Replace. That actually hasn't happened.

http://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/2017/03/24/fact-check-trump-promise-repeal-replace-obamacare-day-one-video/

I think your statement above belongs in the "OP is the only one who doesn't see it" thread.

Quote from: Trump
"Nobody knew health care could be this complicated."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:35:35 PM by bacchi »

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2985 on: April 19, 2017, 07:52:44 PM »
- Tax reform. we know it's coming, just not when or how much.

Not sure how something that hasn't happened can fall in the "good stuff so far" bucket.

But anyway, this is what it all comes down to. Republicans are in charge of EVERYTHING. If they can't get a significant tax reform package done then they are just a useless party. Do nothing in opposition, do nothing in government. Republicans have been crying about high taxes for as long as I can remember, way longer than repealing the ACA.

Hopefully they simplify the tax code and get rid of all of these deductions and loopholes.  Especially the big ones like the mortgage deduction, the deductions for kids, etc. Then they can lower the rates for everyone.

I can hope, but I don't think they'll be able to agree on anything just like health care. They don't like the current system sure, but can't agree on a different one, so the status quo will prevail.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2986 on: April 19, 2017, 08:17:38 PM »
Hey, I like the stonekettle website.   I just read this article, and I'm going to give it a try.   http://www.stonekettle.com/2012/09/unreasonable-people.html   Time to cut back on Canadian politeness and accomodation!

Republicans are like the Canadian conservative party.   They tell a good story about fiscal responsibility, and self determination and so on.   But when it comes to actions, they seem fundamentally incapable of follow-through.   Like that fellow who told his constituents they don't have to use the internet if they don't like the lack of privacy.   Or the other fellow who told his constituents they should spend their money on health care instead of iPhones.   Who do those f***kers think they work for anyway?

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #2987 on: April 19, 2017, 09:57:06 PM »
It's funny to me that the above essay proclaims "The world is a dangerous and complicated place" and yet is framed by a Bobcat Goldthwait quote where the comedian is declaring the boneheaded simplicity of air accident investigations: Reagan fired air traffic controllers in 1981 so naturally inexperienced replacement air traffic controllers are the cause of subsequent accidents (which isn't true, and the only example within 6 years of 1981 which was only partially attributed to air traffic guidance problems in the US was mostly pilot error where two private craft simultaneously breached the terminal control area without permission).

It's obvious to the author of the essay that Trump needs expert judgement in his administration, but it's apparently not obvious that we should consult the NTSB judgements rather than comedians when trying to make a rhetorical point (because, you know, reality has this habit of being complicated, much to the annoyance of all political creeds).

I agree with much of the essay otherwise, though I hate how it is written.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2988 on: April 20, 2017, 05:54:40 AM »
Who do those f***kers think they work for anyway?

In the U.S., the answer is generally Lockheed-Martin or Pfizer.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2989 on: April 20, 2017, 06:01:15 AM »

A thought exercise...
Ask yourself -
Under what conditions would you expect management to be ineffective?  (1)
What conditions would make corruption/theft/embezzlement most likely? (2)
When would catastrophic failures be most likely? (3)

(my incomplete answers)*
1: lack of experience, poor communication, no clear vision or concise plan, no agreed upon quantitative measurements for success
2: lack of transparency, financial conflicts of interest, positions awarded based on loyalty and kinship and not productivity or experience, no accountability
3: poor or no oversight, no clearly defined management plan, short term goals prioritized over long term viability.

* I pulled these from a book on effective management I've been reading.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2990 on: April 20, 2017, 09:56:31 AM »
It's funny to me that the above essay proclaims "The world is a dangerous and complicated place" and yet is framed by a Bobcat Goldthwait quote where the comedian is declaring the boneheaded simplicity of air accident investigations: Reagan fired air traffic controllers in 1981 so naturally inexperienced replacement air traffic controllers are the cause of subsequent accidents (which isn't true, and the only example within 6 years of 1981 which was only partially attributed to air traffic guidance problems in the US was mostly pilot error where two private craft simultaneously breached the terminal control area without permission).

It's obvious to the author of the essay that Trump needs expert judgement in his administration, but it's apparently not obvious that we should consult the NTSB judgements rather than comedians when trying to make a rhetorical point (because, you know, reality has this habit of being complicated, much to the annoyance of all political creeds).

I agree with much of the essay otherwise, though I hate how it is written.

I can't speak for the author but I'm pretty confident Goldthwait's comments on the simplicity of the situation was not why he used this quote. The point was to use the last line for comedic effect - "I dunno, maybe Walt the janitor isn’t qualified to land a Boeing 707!” - and he used the entire quote to give it context.

It's just a bit of a coincidence that the first part contradicts the idea that things are often more complicated than they seem. But I'd also venture a guess that not even Goldthwait believes it's that simple... he's a comedian, they're generally not being too serious.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:21:21 AM by Dabnasty »

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2991 on: April 20, 2017, 04:25:27 PM »

Color me baffled why you would consider many of your examples "lies or unsubstantiated claims" that are "all perpetuated by the left".
Because none of these claims have been PROVEN, except some that have been proven to be FALSE.

There are three FBI probes into Russian hacking, and both the CIA and FBI have said publicly that Russia attempted to interfere with the election (source)
And that ties Trump to it, how?

I wouldn't go so far as to call Trump a rapist, but his sexual improprieties have been extensively documented, not just by the lewd comments on the 'hot-mic' Hollywood Access video, but on air with Howard Stern, covered in the tabloids during his last two divorces, and on the set of The Apprentice.
So why dispute the point if you're not calling him a rapist? Many ARE calling him a rapist and predator, when he's not.

Like NoStacheOhio said I haven't it said that he's cheated on his taxes, but his utter lack of transparency doesn't help things.  A bigger concern to me is potential conflicts of interest, which he also won't disclose.
POTENTIAL conflicts. So nothing is proven, meaning it's pointless to bring up and hold it against him.

I won't say it's the majority of people, but certainly the majority of the mainstream media. Trump could say, "hi, how are you doing", and people would find some way to link that to Hitler.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2992 on: April 20, 2017, 07:27:30 PM »

So why dispute the point if you're not calling him a rapist? Many ARE calling him a rapist and predator, when he's not.

The point is that he's setting a terrible role model.   Now everyone sees that it's ok to sexually harass women because you can do this and still be the POTUS.

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2993 on: April 20, 2017, 07:30:16 PM »

The point is that he's setting a terrible role model.   Now everyone sees that it's ok to sexually harass women because you can do this and still be the POTUS.
Trump didn't sexually harass anyone. He made a comment about golddiggers.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2994 on: April 20, 2017, 07:53:01 PM »

Oh that's a relief that you know that, I thought all these women claimed he harassed them.

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2995 on: April 20, 2017, 07:58:08 PM »

Oh that's a relief that you know that, I thought all these women claimed he harassed them.
Anyone can make a claim. Where's the evident? Guess that whole innocent until proven guilty thing doesn't apply to Trump?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2996 on: April 20, 2017, 08:05:48 PM »

Anyone can make a claim. Where's the evident? Guess that whole innocent until proven guilty thing doesn't apply to Trump?

Innocent until proven guilty applies to the justice system, not to public opinion. In short, it means that the burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove guilt, not on the defense to prove innocence.

You have specifically claimed that "Trump didn't sexually harass anyone."  That is highly suspect.

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/13/497799354/a-list-of-donald-trumps-accusers-of-inappropriate-sexual-conduct

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #2997 on: April 20, 2017, 08:09:33 PM »

Innocent until proven guilty applies to the justice system, not to public opinion. You yourself have specifically claimed that "Trump didn't sexually harass anyone."  That is highly suspect.

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/13/497799354/a-list-of-donald-trumps-accusers-of-inappropriate-sexual-conduct
Again, accusations don't mean anything at all. Obviously courts don't deal with public opinion, but saying or even implying someone is a sexual predator with ZERO evidence is ridiculous.

What if I and four others accuse you of sexual harassment right now? Would it be okay for all of America to then  hold that over your head?

It's just pretty ridiculous to use accusations as a point against Trump. Accusations are not proof.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2998 on: April 20, 2017, 08:12:54 PM »
It's not just the accusations by several women, it's also his own words of how he will just sexually assault a woman when he feels like it, because he can get away with it.  So Trump's message: if you can get away with it, go for it.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2999 on: April 20, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »

Innocent until proven guilty applies to the justice system, not to public opinion. You yourself have specifically claimed that "Trump didn't sexually harass anyone."  That is highly suspect.

Again, accusations don't mean anything at all. Obviously courts don't deal with public opinion, but saying or even implying someone is a sexual predator with ZERO evidence is ridiculous.

What if I and four others accuse you of sexual harassment right now? Would it be okay for all of America to then  hold that over your head?

It's just pretty ridiculous to use accusations as a point against Trump. Accusations are not proof.

It is equally ridiculous to dismiss a pattern of accusations because the alleged offender denies them. Are you aware that Trump has had multiple lawsuits claiming assault and/or sexual harassment beginning more than 20 years ago?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!