Author Topic: What are the realistic impacts of a Trump presidency?  (Read 498014 times)

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
Re: What are the realistic impacts of a Trump presidency?
« Reply #3050 on: April 21, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »
Okay, that's all I needed to hear. I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this conversation.

I knew this probably wasn't going anywhere the moment you said you have sex with your girlfriend without asking, but I hoped some sense could be talked into you. Good luck.
I do not rape my girlfriend, if that's what you are implying. Saying that you need verbal consent is absolutely ridiculous and not at all sexy. If my girlfriend gives me a sexy look, and then runs upstairs and lays on the bed naked, do you suggest that it could be rape unless I say, "wait a minute, sweetie, are you sure you want to do this"?

C'mon, that's not reality. And it more than a bit ridiculous.

Not ridiculous at all, and if the only way you can imagine getting consent is by asking like an awkward weirdo, well....I can't improve your social skills for you.
But that's exactly what you're suggesting. Like it or not, consent CAN be given non-verbally.

If my girlfriend gives me a sexy look, tells me she has a present for me, rips her clothes off, runs upstairs, and lays naked on my bed, is that consent in your eyes? If not, I think your social skills need to be worked on far more than mine do. But, with your logic, that's not consent, and could be considered rape if she says so.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3051 on: April 21, 2017, 09:10:42 AM »
Jesus H. Tap-Dancing Christ.  Try to look at it from the other side.  Imagine you have a sister, or a daughter, and her boyfriend thinks he is the hottest shit in the history of mankind. You would not want that creep jumping her bones every chance he gets without her consent, would you?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3052 on: April 21, 2017, 09:14:57 AM »
I would agree that there is such a thing as non-verbal consent.

But that's not really the issue so let's stop arguing about irrelevant things. The issue is that he said he doesn't wait, and by that he is clearly implying that there is no time for consent, verbal or non-verbal. If not, why would he have followed that with "when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything"

Miskatonic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3053 on: April 21, 2017, 09:16:27 AM »
Okay, that's all I needed to hear. I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this conversation.

I knew this probably wasn't going anywhere the moment you said you have sex with your girlfriend without asking, but I hoped some sense could be talked into you. Good luck.
I do not rape my girlfriend, if that's what you are implying. Saying that you need verbal consent is absolutely ridiculous and not at all sexy. If my girlfriend gives me a sexy look, and then runs upstairs and lays on the bed naked, do you suggest that it could be rape unless I say, "wait a minute, sweetie, are you sure you want to do this"?

C'mon, that's not reality. And it more than a bit ridiculous.

Not ridiculous at all, and if the only way you can imagine getting consent is by asking like an awkward weirdo, well....I can't improve your social skills for you.
But that's exactly what you're suggesting. Like it or not, consent CAN be given non-verbally.

If my girlfriend gives me a sexy look, tells me she has a present for me, rips her clothes off, runs upstairs, and lays naked on my bed, is that consent in your eyes? If not, I think your social skills need to be worked on far more than mine do. But, with your logic, that's not consent, and could be considered rape if she says so.

You're presenting this increasingly elaborate little scenario to defend the incredibly stupid statement you made upthread. It's the very definition of moving the goalposts. Instead of delving into your fantasy role play, I'll just reiterate that consent is paramount.

But let's bring this back to Trump. Your little scenario seems to imply that you don't need consent because you have an established relationship with your girlfriend. Trump said he "just kisses" women that he doesn't have an established relationship with. What gives?

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3054 on: April 21, 2017, 09:18:12 AM »
This is fascinating, and a somewhat horrifying view into the perils of ingroup identity and how powerful it is.  It is astonishing that people can hear the same conversation and take completely different things out of it so that they stay within the peer group that they identify with.  When someone really buys into a person, they are able to discount any information that may be troubling. 

Did anyone watch the tape, and think it was anything but Trump buffooning around, blowing smoke up the young guy's ass? C'mon.

That is one interpretation.  It isn't the interpretation I have.  When I heard him say it, my thoughts were that he was trying to impress Billy Bush by talking about how women were throwing himself at him, and how he could get away with a certain type of behavior because he was a wealthy celebrity.  That whole conversation curdled my stomach because it was plainly obvious that to him, women are decorations, status symbols to be flaunted so that other men would see how awesome he is for attracting a woman who looks like that.  It disgusted me.   I am a sexual assault survivor, and this is the type of thinking that allows men to take advantage of women.  He also implied that consent is irrelevant when one is rich and powerful and BRAGGED about it.  Honestly, everytime I see his face, those words run through my head.  He is a loathsome gargoyle, and I really have a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea of someone who listened to that tape and still checked the box next to his name.  Especially if they have wives and daughters. 

Serious question:  Picture Barack Obama saying the EXACT SAME words.  If you can honestly tell me that you would interpret what he said in the same way, I think you are lying.  You give Trump the benefit of the doubt because your ego requires it. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 09:22:06 AM by golden1 »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3055 on: April 21, 2017, 09:26:45 AM »

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #3056 on: April 21, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »
Did anyone watch the tape, and think it was anything but Trump buffooning around, blowing smoke up the young guy's ass? C'mon.

That is one interpretation.  It isn't the interpretation I have.  When I heard him say it, my thoughts were that he was trying to impress Billy Bush by talking about how women were throwing himself at him, and how he could get away with a certain type of behavior because he was a wealthy celebrity.

I would amend this in only one way:  He was trying to impress Billy Bush with how much his power let him get away with.  There was not any suggestion on his part that women threw themselves at him, just that they couldn't throw themselves out of the way fast enough and that was too bad for them.

Toque.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #3057 on: April 21, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »
Let's not forget that the behavior extends to underage girls, as well.
His position as the pageant's owner entitled him to that kind of access, Trump explained, seemingly aware that what he was doing made the women uncomfortable. "You know, no men are anywhere. And I'm allowed to go in because I'm the owner of the pageant. And therefore I'm inspecting it... Is everyone OK? You know, they're standing there with no clothes. And you see these incredible-looking women. And so I sort of get away with things like that," he said.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/timeline-of-trumps-creepiness-while-he-owned-miss-universe-w444634

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3058 on: April 21, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »
You guys still on the Billy Bush tape?

I'm so proud of my President.  The impact of this presidency will be American jobs, manufacturing, infrastructure, and a strong economy.*  For too long we've been taken advantage of.

American exceptionalism is not a thing of the past.  We have a President who is going to make us Great Again.  And if anyone laughs when they read this, ask yourself:  did you laugh and say Trump would never (1) run (2) file his papers (3) win the nomination and (4) beat Hillary?

The guy does what he says.  I'm SO proud to be an American. 

* We are also going to knock the shit out of our enemies.  Plenty more Mother Of All Bombs will be dropped during the next 8 years.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #3059 on: April 21, 2017, 09:57:13 AM »
You guys still on the Billy Bush tape?

I'm so proud of my President.  The impact of this presidency will be American jobs, manufacturing, infrastructure, and a strong economy.*  For too long we've been taken advantage of.

American exceptionalism is not a thing of the past.  We have a President who is going to make us Great Again.  And if anyone laughs when they read this, ask yourself:  did you laugh and say Trump would never (1) run (2) file his papers (3) win the nomination and (4) beat Hillary?

The guy does what he says.
I'm SO proud to be an American. 

* We are also going to knock the shit out of our enemies.  Plenty more Mother Of All Bombs will be dropped during the next 8 years.

Kind of. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/13/us/politics/trump-policy-reversals-quotes.html?_r=0

The things he is following through on, like defunding the EPA and science funding more generally will have a generational negative impact. His lack of acumen on world affairs would be amusing if it didn't actually affect people in our country and abroad.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3060 on: April 21, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »
One more point on the Billy Bush tape that hasn't been made in this thread yet: Trump was talking in the context of women who were at work, in roles subordinate or subsidiary to Trump's.  He wasn't talking about using his money as an attractor, he was talking about using his "star power", his position of power over them.  That makes it an abuse of power as well as sexual assault.

Now Trump's in the White House, is anyone taking bets against him abusing his power there too?  Financially, to benefit him and his family, if nothing else.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3061 on: April 21, 2017, 11:43:15 AM »
He hasn't been criminally charged, so it's impossible for him to have been found guilty OR INNOCENT.

Wrap your head around that one.

Shrodengers groper?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:01:04 PM by ncornilsen »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3062 on: April 21, 2017, 12:00:21 PM »
One more point on the Billy Bush tape that hasn't been made in this thread yet: Trump was talking in the context of women who were at work, in roles subordinate or subsidiary to Trump's.  He wasn't talking about using his money as an attractor, he was talking about using his "star power", his position of power over them.  That makes it an abuse of power as well as sexual assault.

Now Trump's in the White House, is anyone taking bets against him abusing his power there too?  Financially, to benefit him and his family, if nothing else.

AND if somehow you still don't believe that tape is enough proof, how about the article posted by Glenstache above? Trump explained on the Howard Stern Show:

"His position as the pageant's owner entitled him to that kind of access, Trump explained, seemingly aware that what he was doing made the women uncomfortable. "You know, no men are anywhere. And I'm allowed to go in because I'm the owner of the pageant. And therefore I'm inspecting it... Is everyone OK? You know, they're standing there with no clothes. And you see these incredible-looking women. And so I sort of get away with things like that," he said."

Yes. Trump said. I get away with [sexual harassment].

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3063 on: April 21, 2017, 12:01:16 PM »

I mean, no bets need to be taken.  He's already had white house endorsements of his daughter's business, despite the fact that it is SUPER DUPER ILLEGAL.

Honestly, I can't believe anyone can ignore or "get off" the Billy Bush tape.  Maybe some people are unaware, but "grabbing women by the pussy" is sexual assault.  So either our president has ENGAGED IN AND BRAGS ABOUT sexually assaulting women, or thinks that LYING AND BRAGGING about sexual assault is something to be proud of.

And people voted for him.

Hilariously enough (""""hilariously""""), at my alma mater there was in fact a man who went around for a week or two assaulting women by grabbing them by the crotch as they walked by.  To literally nobody's surprise, he was arrested, charged, and hopefully was put behind bars for some period of time as a result.  Of course, he wasn't white and he wasn't rich, so maybe that's the difference between ye standard olde pussy grabber and President Pussy Grabber here.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3064 on: April 21, 2017, 02:54:18 PM »
Hilariously enough (""""hilariously""""), at my alma mater there was in fact a man who went around for a week or two assaulting women by grabbing them by the crotch as they walked by.  To literally nobody's surprise, he was arrested, charged, and hopefully was put behind bars for some period of time as a result.  Of course, he wasn't white and he wasn't rich, so maybe that's the difference between ye standard olde pussy grabber and President Pussy Grabber here.

Ding ding ding.

And just because it hasn't been explicitly said yet - the absence of no does not mean yes.

Let me repeat that one more time.
THE ABSENCE OF NO DOES NOT MEAN YES

Sure, you and a regular partner can have a super secret handshake that means "yes sex now please," but just get the fucking yes.

There was a male politician in CT recently who pinched a woman in his office on the crotch - literally grabbed her pussy - and said that he was thrilled Trump was president because he didn't have to be politically correct anymore. She called the police, and he said it was just a joke that got blown out of proportion. (If I remember I'll try to find the article later - "pussy grabbing" is not really something I want to search on my work computer.) Here's the thing - when you're in a position of power and people are doing bad things in your name, or because they believe you think it's okay, the appropriate thing to do is condemn them.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3065 on: April 21, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »

I really just want to know how many interns he's fucked so far

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3066 on: April 21, 2017, 05:54:10 PM »
Mod Note: After many reports, much moderation, and discussion by the Mods, we feel this thread has run it's course and continues to do more damage to out community.