Poll

What's your Hogwarts house?

Gryffindor
Hufflepuff
Ravenclaw
Slytherin

Author Topic: What's your Hogwarts house?  (Read 12059 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's your Hogwarts house?
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2017, 02:09:16 AM »
Not only were you locked into a house, it was very rare you'd even get a different house than your lineage.

Fair point, but who's to say that's nature or nurture (what you're told to want)? :) Anyway, my main point is that people read different things into books and I don't think we need to worry about children obsessing about a fixed mindset because of the sorting hat because you just don't know how they're going to take it.

On a tangent, it's like whether or not Ma Ingalls was racist. As a child that totally passed me by. I just thought she was shy! Re-reading it, she really doesn't like them injuns. But that doesn't mean we should ban Little House in case it makes children racist.

Who said anything about banning anything?  Or even that kids will understand the sorting hat that way?

The article was about how the sorting hat is a bad idea. I thought it was interesting, and relevant, and shared it.

:)

I know, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it to get so heavy! It's just coincided with a few IRL conversations I've had recently, which I sort of forgot internet semi-strangers weren't in too! I did like the article and find it interesting - promise!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2017, 06:26:37 AM »
Why the Hogwarts Sorting Hat is a bad idea.

The Hat itself questions whether or not it's a good idea. One of the songs he says that he has to sort you but he wonders if it's wrong

Also, Harry asks to not be in Slytherin even though the hat thinks he could fit in there and it agrees.
I can't remember - did the book ever answer where the hat came from? Seems like an intentionally created magical object of extreme durability which likely took a wizard of considerable skill to create.

The founders created it when they realized they wouldn't be able to sort forever.

Except that they all have the same curriculum (well maybe in they have some sort of enrichment activities within the house we don't know about), I kind of see the sorting hat as an application to a school. People have a lot of self worth tied up into the school they go to, even though they probably would have done really well at another school too.  Then they make lifelong connections with their alumni associations, which exclude people who weren't in the school.  Same sort of thing.  A committee selects who they think is the best fit for the school, the hat selects who is the best fit for the house.

My 10 year old nephew just selected his school he will be at through 12th grade. So same age as Hogwarts and it is a pretty major decision that will influence who he is friends with, etc.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2017, 06:38:04 AM »
Oops, I didn't write it down because I shortbread the thread. But my results were indicative of a minority government, like lifejoy's. In this order:
Ravenclaw
Hufflepuff
Gryffindor

So naturally I would have been in hufflepuff.

Clearly the sorting hat is a bad idea. But giving students a home base is a sensible way to divide adult labour and keep a closer eye. But to posh English people or multigeneration discarding families, it is a tradition that has become naturalized. A few Canadian universities still use a house system, and I see on tv that us students join frats and sororities along family lines.

My understanding or hope is that this wizarding war shook both society and the hat enough that the hat will be more balanced in its approach, and families will see strong leaders from all the houses. Still all a bit messy, but we see a piece of this in the cursed child, where house politics continue

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2017, 07:38:30 PM »
Wow, very interesting how the vast majority of those who took the poll are Ravenclaw! I took the Time quiz a week or so ago, and it put me in Hufflepuff, with Ravenclaw a couple percentage points behind (so a very close second), Gryffindor at around 12%, and 0% for Slytherin. Pottermore also put me in Hufflepuff. Seems accurate, as I am a hard worker who would strongly prefer living in the house at Hogwarts that is closest to the kitchen. =)

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2017, 07:59:05 PM »
56.8% Ravenclaw
29.2% Hufflepuff
13.6% Gryffindor
0.4% Slytherin

Which way to the common room?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2017, 11:34:09 AM »
Huh!

G: 63.3%
H: 20.2%
R: 16.3%
S: 0.3%

But I took it a month ago and then I was still over 50% Gryffindor, but something like 40% Ravenclaw and the rest Hufflepuff. It must be all the volunteering that is making me braver! Yesterday evening drove to a place where I had never gone before to do voter outreach. Spoke to several homeless, addicts and ex-felons about their voting rights and responsibilities.  It was actually the driving that scared me the most, as I am not a happy driver, but overall it was not something I would have considered doing last year.  I always thought I was INTJ but lately I have been testing ENTJ.

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2017, 06:11:27 PM »
For all of those comparing their Meyer-Briggs to their Hogwarts house, I found this today: https://www.brit.co/myers-briggs-type-align-harry-potter-house/

Mine did not match- INFP/Ravenclaw. However, I think most on here probably will.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2017, 02:48:38 PM »
I took the test recently and got Slytherin, followed closely by Ravenclaw.  But I'm in my mid 20's and I think a lot of the Slytherin qualities I now identify with I didn't even have 10 years ago, let alone 15 when I would have been sorted.  Based on my personality, I'm 100% certain I would have been in Ravenclaw at age 11.  If the students were re-sorted every year, I'm not sure if I ever would have left the house, but by college it would have been close between the two. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2017, 02:59:54 PM »
For all of those comparing their Meyer-Briggs to their Hogwarts house, I found this today: https://www.brit.co/myers-briggs-type-align-harry-potter-house/

Mine did not match- INFP/Ravenclaw. However, I think most on here probably will.

Given the number of us intj folks on here I'm not surprised that the poll s so tilted to Ravenclaw.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!