Author Topic: Weird fourm coversations - has the community gone soft?  (Read 143943 times)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
Re: Weird fourm coversations - has the community gone soft?
« Reply #450 on: September 04, 2017, 10:56:15 PM »
There was a time when I read literally every post on this message board.  That was years ago. Now I can barely keep up with my "unreadreplies" threads. 

You really fucked up by posting in the baby chat thread then..

I guess I'm really missing out on new ways to buy essential oils

Aside from looking up what essential oils are (I think I've decided that olive oil counts), I also had to look up some celebrity divorce or other to understand a forum thread

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #451 on: September 05, 2017, 07:05:21 AM »
On MMM today:

I just saw a post to OP asking where to buy essential oils (for less).
One poster suggested buying them while on vacation in Bali because they are so cheap there.  !!!
---------------------
Another OP looking for cooking and meal planing tips as they don't really cook much now and want to get rid of $20k in cc debt...   
Posters suggesting all sorts of good ideas, but most involving a need to first purchase an instaPot, crockpots, special to go mugs with lids, etc... 

I don't think the way to save $300 off your food bill because you used to have a spending problem is to first buy an InstaPot $100+.

Especially when it is being bought using credit card funds at high interest rates.

$5 saucepan from target and a stove top. There. Sorted.

To be fair, one person did call them out on not be able to "buy their way out of debt".

There was a time when I read literally every post on this message board.  That was years ago. Now I can barely keep up with my "unreadreplies" threads.  I guess I'm really missing out on new ways to buy essential oils

Dude . . . they're called essential because you can't live a life without them.  Obvs.

dios.del.sol

• Stubble
« Reply #452 on: September 05, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »
I'm grumpy because my latest post generated a whole lot of "You're crazy. That's not realistic. I need my comforts. Blah, blah, blah." I'm about to go over to ERE. More manageable volume of posts and people who will actually challenge me. Bah humbug.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #453 on: September 05, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »
I'm grumpy because my latest post generated a whole lot of "You're crazy. That's not realistic. I need my comforts. Blah, blah, blah." I'm about to go over to ERE. More manageable volume of posts and people who will actually challenge me. Bah humbug.

I thought about doing the same thing, but it seems kind of dead over there. Maybe I just didn't look around enough.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #454 on: September 05, 2017, 01:06:28 PM »
OK, looking at your post it seems you asked for people to agree with you (at least in the way it's worded) and then are upset because they did?!  Were you testing the waters to see if the community had gone soft so you intentionally set out a topic that ended with "Seems like a good expense to me!"?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #455 on: September 05, 2017, 01:07:21 PM »
This thread was timely. My DH decided he is more on board than he used to be right around when I started reading this.

I'll never be hardcore but this puts me in a place to be hardercore than usual.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: September 05, 2017, 01:07:43 PM »

I thought about doing the same thing, but it seems kind of dead over there. Maybe I just didn't look around enough.
The grass is always greener somewhere else until you get there.  Then again on the ERE forum the grass may be dead because they do nothing to care for it, or perhaps they felt grass was too much of an expense.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #457 on: September 05, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »

Start a thread here! "The ERE side of MMM" type thing. I bet you would attract a lot of interested parties. Just make clear that it's for people who lean more that way, if you like your creature comforts don't bother joining, and then you've got a good group with similar values to share tips/ideas/thoughts with, within an already active community. (Plus, I think people would lurk and learn things even if they are far from ERE, so it would benefit the forums as a whole!)

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #458 on: September 05, 2017, 01:12:13 PM »
I had to LMAO when I went over there and saw Jacob's post on the front page from September 4th explaining how $170 pressure cooker was a justified expense for his minimalist kitchen.  Seems even ERE may have gone soft.  As I said, grass is always greener.....until you get there..... and scroll to the bottom of the home page.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #459 on: September 05, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »
I had to LMAO when I went over there and saw Jacob's post on the front page from September 4th explaining how $170 pressure cooker was a justified expense for his minimalist kitchen.  Seems even ERE may have gone soft.  As I said, grass is always greener.....until you get there..... and scroll to the bottom of the home page.

dios.del.sol, it seemed like most people responded constructively to your post -- do you just expect nobody to disagree with you?  FWIW I also like sleeping in a bed, and they don't have to be expensive.

caracarn, that ERE post was originally posted a decade ago.  In other words, Jacob has always had that pressure cooker.  I wonder if he still has and uses it 10 years later.  If so, it might very well be justified.  I'm pretty sure he chose it because the manufacturer is dedicated to making the replaceable seals available for eternity.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #460 on: September 05, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »

dios.del.sol, it seemed like most people responded constructively to your post -- do you just expect nobody to disagree with you?  FWIW I also like sleeping in a bed, and they don't have to be expensive.

caracarn, that ERE post was originally posted a decade ago.  In other words, Jacob has always had that pressure cooker.  I wonder if he still has and uses it 10 years later.  If so, it might very well be justified.  I'm pretty sure he chose it because the manufacturer is dedicated to making the replaceable seals available for eternity.
Yes, I saw that but on the hardcore end of badassity I do not think that would matter.  Isn't that the point of the bed post to which I responded?  The intent was not to discuss an affordable bed, but to drive to not having a bed (pressure cooker) at all.  I was just pointing out that even on ERE they buy things they would be considered sacrilege.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #461 on: September 05, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »
Link to Jacob's pressure cooker post?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #462 on: September 05, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »
Oh, it's a blog post, not a forum post. Found it!

https://earlyretirementextreme.com/the-minimalist-kitchen.html

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #463 on: September 05, 2017, 02:19:51 PM »
Oh, it's a blog post, not a forum post. Found it!

https://earlyretirementextreme.com/the-minimalist-kitchen.html

Also, this:

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/a-tribute-to-my-pressure-cooker.html

(so by now it could be 16 years old, also it could fall under the "I bought it before I developed my full frugality" exception MMM likes to use)

Of course,, there are less expensive pressure cookers out there, including the extremely popular Instant Pot

and in action:

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/cooking-for-6-days-in-30-minutes-for-less-than-4.html
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:24:39 PM by dragoncar »

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #464 on: September 05, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »
I'm slightly confused about the pressure cooker thing. If you want to cook under pressure, what's the alternative, make your own pressure cooker? That seems like a recipe to have something blow up

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #465 on: September 05, 2017, 02:40:23 PM »
I'm slightly confused about the pressure cooker thing. If you want to cook under pressure, what's the alternative, make your own pressure cooker? That seems like a recipe to have something blow up

Right? And they save electricity by shortening the cook time, so they literally do have a break even point, even if you don't count things like "more likely to eat at home while still working a full schedule" and the like.

ERE =/= never buying anything expensive.

dios.del.sol

• Stubble
« Reply #466 on: September 05, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »

Thanks for the reality check. Indignance is now dialed down a few notches. I was reacting to a minority of the posts, but they rubbed me the wrong way. Not a good habit on the interwebs.

Not sure what I was expecting - probably just sentiments along the lines of: "doing things for your SO is smart in the grand scheme". Certainly I wasn't expecting the few posts of the form "X is comfortable, therefore X is justified". Catheters and bedpans anyone?

ERE - I lurk. Never posted. They tend to digress into philosophical rabbit holes quite a bit. I'm not sure I have the time to keep up with their intensity!

Here, though. So hard to keep up with the sheer volume!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #467 on: September 05, 2017, 04:19:06 PM »

Right? And they save electricity by shortening the cook time, so they literally do have a break even point, even if you don't count things like "more likely to eat at home while still working a full schedule" and the like.

I guess my only (negative) take on the pressure-cooker thing is that these things seem to be a dime-a-dozen at every flea market, swap meet and second-hand store. You don't need to spend $170 on a new shiny model when you can find plenty of functional ones for $20 or less.  Kuhn is a luxury brand within the culinary world - not really having commerical-level durability nor a competitive price point - but pretty to look at.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #468 on: September 05, 2017, 05:44:35 PM »

I guess my only (negative) take on the pressure-cooker thing is that these things seem to be a dime-a-dozen at every flea market, swap meet and second-hand store. You don't need to spend $170 on a new shiny model when you can find plenty of functional ones for $20 or less.  Kuhn is a luxury brand within the culinary world - not really having commerical-level durability nor a competitive price point - but pretty to look at.

Okay, that's fair, I didn't know the particulars. I assumed it was an electric version that worked with his RV (didn't he live in an RV for a while?) or a fancy one that works on induction if he uses an induction hob, something like that. I tend to assume the best of people though, and I probably shouldn't so often!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #469 on: September 06, 2017, 05:17:16 AM »

Okay, that's fair, I didn't know the particulars. I assumed it was an electric version that worked with his RV (didn't he live in an RV for a while?) or a fancy one that works on induction if he uses an induction hob, something like that. I tend to assume the best of people though, and I probably shouldn't so often!

My response to it all is "meh".  I'm certainly not an ERE type, and I'll admit to having several expensive component to my fairly compact kitchen. I think its just interesting how the 'power of self-justification' can lead someone to do something that objectively they'd probably be against.  In this case paying ~$200 for something when sub $30 alternatives exist. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #470 on: September 06, 2017, 03:35:14 PM »

My response to it all is "meh".  I'm certainly not an ERE type, and I'll admit to having several expensive component to my fairly compact kitchen. I think its just interesting how the 'power of self-justification' can lead someone to do something that objectively they'd probably be against.  In this case paying ~$200 for something when sub $30 alternatives exist.

Who are you talking about?  If Jacob, I don't know if he's objectively against all unnecessary expenses (or no luxuries ever)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #471 on: September 13, 2017, 11:22:57 PM »
There was a time when I read literally every post on this message board.  That was years ago. Now I can barely keep up with my "unreadreplies" threads.  I guess I'm really missing out on new ways to buy essential oils

Ditto.

Now I only check in every few months, and do massive skims and "mark all read."

This check in (after a few month gap) I actually marked some of my "unread replies" ones as read without reading them for the first time.

Glad that the forum has grown so much though--a lot of people are kicking ass, and improving their lives. It's great!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #472 on: September 13, 2017, 11:34:21 PM »
Glad that the forum has grown so much though--a lot of people are kicking ass, and improving their lives. It's great!

It's a lot less great if you actually still live here.  Virtually everything I used to love about this place is gone, and that includes rebel spies.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #473 on: September 14, 2017, 12:22:53 AM »

It's a lot less great if you actually still live here.  Virtually everything I used to love about this place is gone, and that includes rebel spies.

Awwww <3.

Don't worry, once you FIRE, you find yourself spending way less time here. Just hard to fit it into a FIRE'd life.  You're, what, a year or so away?  :)

There's still some kickass posts when I pop in. Some old members drop off, then newer people come around like Maizeman step up with some awesome analysis.

But it's likely true that the signal to noise ratio is much lower.

A lot more people with a 50% savings rate is better than a much smaller group with a 75% savings rate.

We can all push ourselves to be a little more badass though. Definitely.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #474 on: September 14, 2017, 06:34:09 AM »

The problem (which has always plagued internet discussion boards that experience growth) is that a decline in the signal-to-noise ratio can become self-reinforcing, because the more the noise starts to drown out the signal, the more likely it becomes for signal-producers to decide that it's no longer worth the effort to contribute.  I hope the forum can continue to grow and remain a place of high value, but it's possible that we're now in the early stages of a full-blown mustachian death spiral.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #475 on: September 14, 2017, 09:07:19 AM »

The problem (which has always plagued internet discussion boards that experience growth) is that a decline in the signal-to-noise ratio can become self-reinforcing, because the more the noise starts to drown out the signal, the more likely it becomes for signal-producers to decide that it's no longer worth the effort to contribute.  I hope the forum can continue to grow and remain a place of high value, but it's possible that we're now in the early stages of a full-blown mustachian death spiral.

I also wonder how much can be attributed to being largely without a rudder.  Pete's off doing his thing and rarely even writes blog postings anymore. Arebelspy is busy with his globetrotting and only occasionally pops in.  There's enough traffic for this forum to be keep popping up on google searches but the more senior posters can't make a big dent in the volume of posts being made.

Like any large ship that loses steering we seem to keep heading in roughly the same direction - for a while - but ultimately we just wind up going in large, lazy circles.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #476 on: September 14, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »
early stages of a full-blown mustachian death spiral.

So.... The top is in? Great, I'll call my broker!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #477 on: September 14, 2017, 10:21:32 AM »

I also wonder how much can be attributed to being largely without a rudder.  Pete's off doing his thing and rarely even writes blog postings anymore. Arebelspy is busy with his globetrotting and only occasionally pops in.  There's enough traffic for this forum to be keep popping up on google searches but the more senior posters can't make a big dent in the volume of posts being made.

Like any large ship that loses steering we seem to keep heading in roughly the same direction - for a while - but ultimately we just wind up going in large, lazy circles.

Excellent analysis! We need Pete and Joe!

(When I was growing up in Louisville, KY, there was a radio show called "The Pete and Joe Morning Show" on WDJX.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #478 on: September 14, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
early stages of a full-blown mustachian death spiral.

So.... The top is in? Great, I'll call my broker!

Don't try to time the market.  Buy and hold. 

But if you do sell, I'll give you $1/thousand posts

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #479 on: September 15, 2017, 08:21:13 AM »
I've noticed a few good facepunches recently. Lhamo gave one in all caps about car payments in a case study. Gave me a warm fuzzy.

I've always refrained from diving into giving advice here, like someone said upthread, because I don't feel like I'm an expert. But maybe I'll chime in on the case studies more to encourage/punch newbies.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:18:41 AM by Basenji »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #480 on: September 15, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »
I've always refrained from diving into giving advice here, like someone said upthread, because I don't feel like I'm an expert. But maybe I'll chime in on the case studies more to encourage/punch newbies.
Yeah, everyone likes to punch the new kid...
:-P

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #481 on: September 15, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »
I've noticed a few good facepunches recently. Llamo gave one in all caps about car payments in a case study. Gave me a warm fuzzy.

I've noticed some lately as well. Frankiesgirl has had some great posts. Another person actually posted a picture of a facepunch.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #482 on: September 15, 2017, 09:12:46 AM »
I've noticed a few good facepunches recently. Llamo gave one in all caps about car payments in a case study. Gave me a warm fuzzy.

I've noticed some lately as well. Frankiesgirl has had some great posts. Another person actually posted a picture of a facepunch.
That's funny. During the same time, I gave a whiny newb a suggestion of a facepunch and she complained to the mods. Several weeks later, she's all but disappeared. When I saw lhamo's CAPS, read FG's pithy responses, and saw the facepunch meme, I cheered.

Don't call the coroner just yet. The collective mind is far from life support.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #483 on: September 15, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
Anyone have a link to the posts discussed above with Lhamo & Frankiesgirl?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #484 on: September 15, 2017, 09:25:27 AM »

Gladly. https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/case-study-$800-000-in-debt-and-where-to-start/msg1696431/#msg1696431

I'm forgetting which one had the actual facepunch picture though, but it also was pretty fantastic.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #485 on: September 15, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »

I think this has the all caps Lhamo response. It also has the image of a facepunch from one poster.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/case-study-$800-000-in-debt-and-where-to-start/

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:31:31 AM by Basenji »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #487 on: September 15, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »

That's funny. During the same time, I gave a whiny newb a suggestion of a facepunch and she complained to the mods. Several weeks later, she's all but disappeared. When I saw lhamo's CAPS, read FG's pithy responses, and saw the facepunch meme, I cheered.

Don't call the coroner just yet. The collective mind is far from life support.

:-)

I too, get my knickers in a knot when someone tells me to put on my big girl pants..... especially if deserved!
One needs to read Dicey over a few days to appreciate the humour.

Check2400

• Stubble
« Reply #488 on: September 15, 2017, 12:01:48 PM »
I have been following this post, and explicitly because Bracken_joy called us all out on not helping on case studies I made a point to try and give advice to the poster of the $800,000 referenced below.

The facepunch pic in that thread was great, needed, and done for a purpose.  Lhamo's post was not.  IMO Facepunch is a term used to say the harsh truth in order to teach.  Calling someone unbelievably stupid or insane isn't a facepunch, it is a personal attack that is itself insane or unbelievably stupid. 

Worse, the criticism was off mark, and reflects that lhamo responded with an admitted lack of patience instead of an actual attempt to help.  In two weeks time, this person has paid off massive CC debt, begun selling an investment property to pay off massive personal loans, and is wrapping his head around how to best get out of two terrible car loans.  He is on fire, but in the grand breakdown of his debts, the cars and any cost he may have to spend to get out of those loans is best served addressing his 10%+ personal loan fire, not the car loan.  Once again-this is in two weeks time. 

I'll be the first to admit the gung ho blog/facebook/twitter etc. of that OP is extremely odd (I dunno, maybe he needs to social affirmation to keep going?) but he isn't Beatles, and his sig line explicitly states: Please don't mistake my ignorance for arrogance. 

I think there is a fine line between facepunching someone along the path, and knocking them out.  Indoctrination takes more than a day---blenders not included :)

Lastly, lhamo, I am not trying to pick an internet fight, you're almost exclusively super great and positive, I just think for this particular person's path that Super Saiyan facepunch was premature, but we can agree to disagree!

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #489 on: September 15, 2017, 02:18:46 PM »
Blenders,  Gah...  No one that posted about a vitamix was doing so because they were caring for a person that could not chew...

Actually, that's not true. But you had to make it to the end of the thread.

ubermom4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #490 on: September 15, 2017, 03:39:29 PM »
OP -- thanks for posing the question. I haven't read all of the posts (am still dragging through the blender insanity). Have been here a long time, post seldom but used to learn a lot and enjoy the 'vibe'. Many of the old posters are not as active -- they have moved on (FIRE or something else). I agree with the softening/tolerating complainy pants of the forums. We are surrounded by wimps -- that is why we fled the real world to MMM. To me the issue is best summed up in the diminution of profanity. I believe that MMM had a posting about the importance of profanity. Hey, complaining sheeple/consumer suckas, STFU!

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #491 on: September 15, 2017, 03:51:52 PM »
https://www.outlookindia.com/newsscroll/intelligent-people-more-likely-to-use-cuss-words-study/1134317

"Scientifically" proven that more intelligent people cuss more.  So maybe we do need a bit more cussing on this forum.
Personally I prefer the stat included in the above article that also imply more intelligent people are more likely to wander around their house naked, though I am not too how that would apply to a forum.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #492 on: September 15, 2017, 04:08:45 PM »

And, this is SO non mustachian, but I only did Botox today instead of Botox and filler. Saved several hundred dollars. <ducks the face punches>
[/url]

I had to look up hadilly,  when I saw this.... many typical posts, about batch cooking veggies and Goodwill.. and then a suggestion to buy Eileen Fischer pants, because they wear like iron.   (These are $US168 to $US248, sometimes on sale for $US89)...   me thinks that blowing a few hundred dollars here and there throughout the year is not an issue.... 

Oh,  and I had to check how often Botox needs to repeat -- something like 2-3x per year..$500+ per time without fillers.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #493 on: September 15, 2017, 04:37:12 PM »
https://www.outlookindia.com/newsscroll/intelligent-people-more-likely-to-use-cuss-words-study/1134317

"Scientifically" proven that more intelligent people cuss more.  So maybe we do need a bit more cussing on this forum.
Personally I prefer the stat included in the above article that also imply more intelligent people are more likely to wander around their house naked, though I am not too how that would apply to a forum.
Oh fuck, that's funny!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #494 on: September 15, 2017, 05:27:24 PM »
I am soooo happy to know I guilted encouraged so many of you to participate in case studies ;)

I actually HAVE noticed a massive increase in replies! And have you noticed- a big corresponding increase in more UNIQUE case studies being posted as a result? Pretty cool. It's like when the case studies sub was introduced, all over again.

Thanks you guys! Lets keep it up. I think the nice balance of some face-punchy/some softer/all good'n'MMM indoctrinating really helps get people moving in the right direction =D

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #495 on: September 15, 2017, 05:37:34 PM »

I'm guessing quite a few members are already posting naked on this forum.
Just food for thought...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #496 on: September 15, 2017, 05:42:19 PM »
The real question is . . . why would you wear clothes to post?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #497 on: September 15, 2017, 05:43:47 PM »
I have posted a few times naked on the forum.

Several times in combination with being drunk as well...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #498 on: September 15, 2017, 06:31:48 PM »
I have been following this post, and explicitly because Bracken_joy called us all out on not helping on case studies I made a point to try and give advice to the poster of the $800,000 referenced below.

The facepunch pic in that thread was great, needed, and done for a purpose.  Lhamo's post was not.  IMO Facepunch is a term used to say the harsh truth in order to teach.  Calling someone unbelievably stupid or insane isn't a facepunch, it is a personal attack that is itself insane or unbelievably stupid. 

Worse, the criticism was off mark, and reflects that lhamo responded with an admitted lack of patience instead of an actual attempt to help.  In two weeks time, this person has paid off massive CC debt, begun selling an investment property to pay off massive personal loans, and is wrapping his head around how to best get out of two terrible car loans.  He is on fire, but in the grand breakdown of his debts, the cars and any cost he may have to spend to get out of those loans is best served addressing his 10%+ personal loan fire, not the car loan.  Once again-this is in two weeks time. 

I'll be the first to admit the gung ho blog/facebook/twitter etc. of that OP is extremely odd (I dunno, maybe he needs to social affirmation to keep going?) but he isn't Beatles, and his sig line explicitly states: Please don't mistake my ignorance for arrogance. 

I think there is a fine line between facepunching someone along the path, and knocking them out.  Indoctrination takes more than a day---blenders not included :)

Lastly, lhamo, I am not trying to pick an internet fight, you're almost exclusively super great and positive, I just think for this particular person's path that Super Saiyan facepunch was premature, but we can agree to disagree!

You're right -- my post was inappropriate/unhelpful and I have apologized and tried to explain what made me go crazy.  The guy is totally stuck in a sunk cost fallacy.  He didn't want to take the immediate hit on the cars because somehow he doesn't realize that that money is gone, gone gone.  He put off the pain of dealing with the upsidedown lease four years ago, got into an even worse loan, and now somehow thinks that letting that situation drag out for four more years is going to make it ok.

I'm enjoying that thread because 1) I had something useful to say at the beginning and 2) he has to be one of the most appreciative and cooperative case study posters in a while.  It floored me when he came back the next day and said "credit cards are done, now what?"  He still has a lot to learn and is stuck in some financial and psychological traps, but he's enthusiastic about identifying and fixing them.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #499 on: September 16, 2017, 08:29:28 AM »
I just wish posters would put their country in the title - I am not going to be of more than general use in case studies, except for Canadians.  But I will happily discuss RRSPs versus TFSAs, and point out that you can't compare yourself to Americans when you are Canadian, because our % of expenses differs and so do our tax rules.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!