Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 951365 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #4350 on: March 05, 2023, 02:47:45 PM »
Today is going to be disgustingly hot so dinner will be couscous salad and grilled chicken thighs

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #4351 on: March 05, 2023, 05:33:26 PM »
We're making Tamale Pie, which I've never had before, so sorta excited to try something new!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4352 on: March 05, 2023, 06:09:45 PM »
I made a big pot of soup with a rotisserie chicken this weekend - carcass in the instant pot for homemade stock, then I kinda cheated on flavoring by just adding some high-quality enchilada sauce (which contains chilies, tomatoes, garlic, vinegar and spices) and a can of tomatoes, which ends up tasting kind of like tortilla soup. Shredded chicken, fresh garlic, and half a dozen types of vegetable (half of them from frozen) went in the soup. Thickened a little with corn starch to give it a little body. Very tasty and healthy, and pretty low effort since I just had to cut up three kinds of vegetables and shred the cooked chicken. (Well, and make homemade stock, but that's mostly hands off with the IP.) Perfect for when I'm not feeling well.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4353 on: March 06, 2023, 09:17:40 AM »
lentil bolognese and parmesan risotto.  And steamed broccoli

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4354 on: March 06, 2023, 09:25:54 AM »
Fidget casserole sounds amazing! Recipe please!

Sure, with the caveat that I hand-wrote this down off a website...

1 leek, thinly sliced
1 lb-ish ham, chopped or shredded or diced (recipe originally called for British "bacon") -- we're using leftover pork chops I froze
1 onion thinly sliced
3 Tb cornstarch (my notes say "try 3 1/2")
100 g shredded cheese (or more ... we usually use sharp cheddar)
1 quart milk
4-ish apples, sliced
4-6 potatoes, sliced
1 Tb dried sage

Preheat oven to 375F. Fry pork/ham/bacon with onions and leeks until soft (and pig-meat is cooked, if necessary).
Sprinkle cornstarch and sage on top of mix in pan.
Add milk and 1/2 cheese.
Continuously stir over heat until sauce thickens.
Mix creamy stuff in pan with potatoes, and apples (so this should now be all the ingredients) and salt if necessary. Dump into baking dish.
Bake for around 45 min until potatoes are cooked through and top is golden. Add rest of cheese to top and return to oven until cheese is melted and mixture looks delicious.

Serve -- we usually have a salad alongside.

I think this is an adaptation of a "fidget pie", which is this mixture in a pastry crust, which sounds like rather a bit much!

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4355 on: March 06, 2023, 12:37:39 PM »
We had chili last night. I'm working to watch what I eat and our chili is full of veggies... but also bacon... so I poured it on half a baked sweet potato and topped it with half an avocado. (I skipped my other traditional toppings.) Typically I go back for a second bowl but I was FULL. I had the same thing today for lunch.

Tonight we're doing chicken tacos. I picked up a orange and yellow bell pepper to add some veggies to mine, opted for corn rather than flour tortillas, will use NF plain greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream, and will skip the cheese. I'll also probably skip avocado, since I had half of one with lunch...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4356 on: March 06, 2023, 05:04:53 PM »
We are having a beef/broccoli noodle stir fry. First time making it, so fingers crossed that it's good.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4357 on: March 06, 2023, 07:13:23 PM »
Riffed off a recipe for Tagliatelle w/ gorgonzola, pear & walnut to work with what I had in the fridge and pantry = Egg noodles w/ cambazola, apple & roasted almond. Simple & delicious comfort food.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4358 on: March 07, 2023, 11:38:03 AM »
Taco Tuesday.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4359 on: March 07, 2023, 12:38:47 PM »
Grilled chicken & rice. Need some easy options, as the teens are back to full activities, and our schedules are wild.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4360 on: March 07, 2023, 08:47:29 PM »
Grilled chicken & rice. Need some easy options, as the teens are back to full activities, and our schedules are wild.

I've been working from home for the last two decades, but the day I figured out how to pre-program my oven's start time -- which meant I could put a casserole in the oven, and have it cooked, hot, and waiting for us when we got home -- was a big day in the "carting kids all over creation" life. (As was the consistent use of a large crockpot, for similar reasons.)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4361 on: March 10, 2023, 01:32:55 PM »
Working late tonight (8pm) so am taking a smoothie to work.
Pumpkin pie flavourings but not with  pumpkin but with roasted sweet potato & yam.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4362 on: March 10, 2023, 02:50:02 PM »
@jeninco - we have some weird eating stuff here (food allergies, a picky eater, my husband doesn't enjoy soup or casseroles)... Food that works best for us is typically some combination of protein & carb, but not mixed together until serving. ;-) It's taken a ton of experimentation to get to the point where I don't want to kill all of the other diners. That said, my husband will happily cook on weekends, so he is pulling his own weight there. It would be more offensive if he complained & didn't help. We typically cook on Friday, Saturday & Sunday, eating leftovers of those things throughout the week.

Except for tonight, where we are having a gourmet offering of frozen pizza (cauliflower crust for one, regular for everyone else), doctored up with additional toppings. We have salad with every meal, and our kids get fruit as "dessert". They are teens, but that's still dessert. After they eat that, lord knows what they find in the pantry, but at least they've consumed the fruit first.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #4363 on: March 11, 2023, 08:56:13 PM »
We made gnocchi with roasted tomatoes and fresh mozzarella tonight.  The sauce is so good.  I suspect a lot of it is due to sauteeing a lot of garlic in a lot of butter for a while, but I think there's a little more to it than that, too.  One of my favorites, though possibly least healthy.  We had it with sauteed kale from the garden.  Also with garlic.  So probably we shouldn't have anyone over until we air out the house and brush our teeth a half dozen times.

Tomorrow we're making a west African inspired peanut fish stew.  We make it enough that it's almost second nature to me, but I was reviewing the actual recipe tonight and noting that they direct the fish to be sprinkled liberally with salt and pepper just a few minutes before putting it into the sauce and cooking it.  Does this accomplish anything, like change the fish in some way, to salt it and let it sit for like 4 minutes? 

I ask because honestly it just felt like a way to get more salt into the finished dish, and then it's ironic because they give a specific measurement for the sauce/broth, but not for salting the fish (just "liberally"), so introducing that area of significant variation would, I would think, make the recipe's total saltiness very variable. Which has in fact been our experience, as I can see from notes we've made in the past about cutting back on the salt, even though recently I have been noticing it's not salty enough.

Curious if chefs here have knowledge/opinions.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #4364 on: March 12, 2023, 07:41:52 PM »
I put about 1/4 cup of oil in a cast iron pan.  Added about 1.5 pounds of frozen "california blend" veggies and a small can of salmon.  heated up over medium heat with generous sprinkling of powdered spices.  Veggies are cooked just right, still crunchy and full flavored.  Yum.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4365 on: March 12, 2023, 08:50:44 PM »
Made a quick low carb Pho.  The soup base was part Better Than Bullion Beef Base and part leftover juice from deglazed fond from frying steaks & hamburgers.  Half way through the heating up of the soup, I added sliced cabbage for rice noodle substitute.  At the end, when it came to a rapid simmer, I turned off and added in the thinly sliced pork tenderloin (which I have pre-sliced up into portions in the freezer), along with the sliced scallion, cilantro & lime juice.  Was delicious.  About 5 minutes to make and about $1 per bowl.

(I've made real pho before with roasted beef bones etc, and I know this tastes different but for a quick 5 minute meal this tastes pretty good.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 08:52:59 PM by JenniferW »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4366 on: March 13, 2023, 11:05:37 AM »
@jeninco - we have some weird eating stuff here (food allergies, a picky eater, my husband doesn't enjoy soup or casseroles)... Food that works best for us is typically some combination of protein & carb, but not mixed together until serving. ;-) It's taken a ton of experimentation to get to the point where I don't want to kill all of the other diners. That said, my husband will happily cook on weekends, so he is pulling his own weight there. It would be more offensive if he complained & didn't help. We typically cook on Friday, Saturday & Sunday, eating leftovers of those things throughout the week.

Except for tonight, where we are having a gourmet offering of frozen pizza (cauliflower crust for one, regular for everyone else), doctored up with additional toppings. We have salad with every meal, and our kids get fruit as "dessert". They are teens, but that's still dessert. After they eat that, lord knows what they find in the pantry, but at least they've consumed the fruit first.

That sounds rugged, and like you have a work-able solution! If/when you have a moment to breathe, can you get the kids to help do meal planning? We decided "be able to meal plan/shop/cook for yourself" was an important set of skills to own before the kids left the house... (But also, if it makes life impossible for you, those skills can wait until they're needed...)

Last night: We had caldo tlalpeño, which is basically turkey (in this case, leftover turkey broth and meat from the freezer) soup with chickpeas, various veggies, potatoes, corn, green beans and flavored with chipotle chilis in adobo sauce. I will be having leftovers this week, as DH is out of town.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4367 on: March 13, 2023, 05:59:13 PM »
Salmon, caught my first fresh salmon of the season, that also just happens to be the best tasting salmon in the world (Columbia river spring chinook).
Also potatoes, and kale.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4368 on: March 13, 2023, 08:32:31 PM »
@sonofsven - PNW native, very jealous of your dinner!

We had chicken fajitas. I make them in big batches (onions, peppers, seasoning, oil, & chicken) & freeze. Pull out of the freezer & then bake. It's a super easy weeknight meal.

@jeninco - my 16 y.o. actually did 90% of the cooking during COVID. It was amazing. The meal planning is a great idea. I do make everyone nominate one dinner a week, but the picky eater nominates one of the same six dinners, the other eater wants to eat exotic meals (hates repetition) & it all devolves from there. :-)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4369 on: March 13, 2023, 09:23:15 PM »
Chicken fajitas sound delicious!  (Been a while since I've had them.)  What seasoning do you use? 

We had a low carb stir fry today with chicken breast, cabbage, yellow onion, carrot, bell pepper, garlic, ginger -- all julienned.  Sauce was soy sauce, lemon juice, ginger & garlic.  Finished with a little sesame oil and soy sauce to taste.

(I used boneless skinless chicken breast I managed to pick up on a sale at discount grocer for $1.29/lb -- bought 35 pounds of it last week -- came frozen and is in chest freezer now.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 09:30:28 PM by JenniferW »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4370 on: March 13, 2023, 09:43:42 PM »
We are having chicken and pork fajitas tonight. Beans are cooling down, I’ve made salsa and the peppers and onions are chopped.

@MaybeBabyMustache as long as the kids help with cooking the meals, you’re still winning. 😃

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4371 on: March 14, 2023, 08:05:29 AM »
@sonofsven - PNW native, very jealous of your dinner!
Thanks! I can only brag about it here even though I'm active on a fishing forum, I don't want to encourage an invasion of my area from the big city upriver fisher people. It's very competitive.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4372 on: March 14, 2023, 11:21:23 AM »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4373 on: March 14, 2023, 11:42:40 AM »
Holy Yum Chicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1wAFP1z0nQ

Looks delicious.  But I'd thicken it with a roux perhaps instead of corn starch?  It looked a bit lumpy, but maybe that's part of the desirable texture, I dunno.   With a roux there would be no lumps.   I know she says no use real maple syrup, I wish I could, but I am diabetic. I wonder how this tastes with the zero sugar maple syrup lol.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4374 on: March 14, 2023, 12:11:29 PM »
Holy Yum Chicken

Looks delicious.  But I'd thicken it with a roux perhaps instead of corn starch?  It looked a bit lumpy, but maybe that's part of the desirable texture, I dunno.   With a roux there would be no lumps.   I know she says no use real maple syrup, I wish I could, but I am diabetic. I wonder how this tastes with the zero sugar maple syrup lol.

I have not made this before but have made another recipe this lady demonstrated. It was delicious! If you are diabetic, I would use what you are used to or maybe invest in a high quality sugar free maple syrup. Maybe even look up maple syrup substitutions that you can have. I do like your suggestion of the roux. I think I will do that! There is a trick to the lumps in the gravy and that is to strain it.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4375 on: March 14, 2023, 12:38:39 PM »
I have not made this before but have made another recipe this lady demonstrated. It was delicious! If you are diabetic, I would use what you are used to or maybe invest in a high quality sugar free maple syrup. Maybe even look up maple syrup substitutions that you can have. I do like your suggestion of the roux. I think I will do that! There is a trick to the lumps in the gravy and that is to strain it.

Yeah or mix the cornstarch first with a bit of water.  The roux would add a nice nutty flavor though :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4376 on: March 14, 2023, 02:47:56 PM »
Ramen w/ charred scallions, green beans & chili oil  (we have heaps of frozen green beans from the garden)

(A NY Times recipe that I found elsewhere online to get around the paywall)
http://www.mylilikoikitchen.com/2021/05/05/ramen-with-charred-scallions-green-beans-chile-oil/

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4377 on: March 14, 2023, 03:34:47 PM »
coconut flour crust pizza (to use up a stash of coconut flour from pandemic era) and a "high protein vegan salad" from a recipe I found on line.  Salad was pretty good!  But I still like pizza even better.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4378 on: March 14, 2023, 05:52:29 PM »
coconut flour crust pizza (to use up a stash of coconut flour from pandemic era) and a "high protein vegan salad" from a recipe I found on line.  Salad was pretty good!  But I still like pizza even better.

Can I have the recipe? I eat low carb.  I make fathead pizza crust currently which is mozarella, almond flour and an egg.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4379 on: March 14, 2023, 06:07:31 PM »
Sure thing!  It is similar to your recipe, I think, using mozzarella, cream cheese, coconut flour and eggs.  I found that it was pretty good and could actually be held like a real piece of pizza.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/fathead-pizza-crust-low-carb-keto-gluten-free-nut-free/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=tailwind_smartloop&utm_content=smartloop&utm_term=6720724

There are two options on the site, one with almond flour and one with just coconut flour.  I haven't tested the almond flour one.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4380 on: March 14, 2023, 06:27:07 PM »
Sure thing!  It is similar to your recipe, I think, using mozzarella, cream cheese, coconut flour and eggs.  I found that it was pretty good and could actually be held like a real piece of pizza.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/fathead-pizza-crust-low-carb-keto-gluten-free-nut-free/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=tailwind_smartloop&utm_content=smartloop&utm_term=6720724

There are two options on the site, one with almond flour and one with just coconut flour.  I haven't tested the almond flour one.

I'll try it out thank you! :)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4381 on: March 15, 2023, 06:49:54 AM »
Holy Yum Chicken

Made the Holy Yum Chicken last night for the first time and it was soo good! So simple to make and would make a great company dinner. I ended up using the cornstarch to thicken the gravy and it came out good because I mixed it with a little white wine before adding it to the pan sauce. No lumps! I would also suggest if you would like to tone the mustard down, just cut it back a little and make up the difference with the maple syrup. I didn't find that the mustard was overpowering though.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4382 on: March 18, 2023, 07:27:05 PM »
Cauliflower Piccata--to use up the head of organic cauliflower that I got on sale earlier this week :)
http://www.mylilikoikitchen.com/2021/12/09/cauliflower-piccata/

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4383 on: March 18, 2023, 07:57:03 PM »
I made a one pan chicken curry that I've made many times, and ... let it stick to the bottom of the pan. The rice was much "crispier" than intended. Oh well. All of my diners were polite, but I suspect they will be taking advantage of the ice cream cake (birthday celebration yesterday).

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4384 on: March 18, 2023, 09:33:41 PM »
Last night: The red lentil, coconut, spinach curry from the NYT, over rice.
Tonight: A pasta thing with linguini, sausage, heaps of roasted red and yellow peppers, bitsy green beans, olives, capers, garlic - we kind of winged it. And a giant artichoke, that we steamed and cut in half.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4385 on: March 19, 2023, 07:05:54 AM »
@Serendip, that cauliflower sounds delish....and I just happen to have a head in my crisper!!
I love it when a meal comes together.  (apologies to the A-team)

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4386 on: March 19, 2023, 11:11:55 AM »
Tonight's plan is chicken split breasts since they are on sale.  I think I'll do a small pan of Holy Yum (I made it a few years ago and then forgot about it) and a large pan simply seasoned, so I can shred and freeze it for later.  We have potatoes in the pantry, so I'll bake those, and we have leftover cabbage from St. Patrick's Day for a vegetable.  DH will make a green salad.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4387 on: March 19, 2023, 03:45:26 PM »
Tonight's plan is chicken split breasts since they are on sale.  I think I'll do a small pan of Holy Yum (I made it a few years ago and then forgot about it) and a large pan simply seasoned, so I can shred and freeze it for later.  We have potatoes in the pantry, so I'll bake those, and we have leftover cabbage from St. Patrick's Day for a vegetable.  DH will make a green salad.

What kind of deal did ya get on the chicken? It was recently on sale for $1.29 /lb at my discount grocer -- boneless/skinless; I bought 35 pounds of it.  It was all frozen.    They have a sale now for "split chicken breast" (I guess that means with the bone) for 82 cents per pound; which probably is a really good deal in comparison because breast bones are thin and can be used for chicken stock as well.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4388 on: March 19, 2023, 05:16:27 PM »
@Serendip, that cauliflower sounds delish....and I just happen to have a head in my crisper!!
I love it when a meal comes together.  (apologies to the A-team)

It was seriously tasty @Josiecat23503 -- I substituted cannellini beans for the chickpeas and it was a hit.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4389 on: March 19, 2023, 07:54:21 PM »
A sort of Asian rice-noodle thing: cooked the noodles, meanwhile sautéed loads of garlic and ginger, added a bit of chopped up chicken thighs, some napa cabbage, some snap peas I'd cut diagonally into nice pieces, some very thinly sliced red peppers, and sauce (cornstarch, sherry, fish sauce, chili-n-garlic paste, soy sauce, and a bit of brown sugar). Dumped in the cooked and drained rice noodles, stored a bit, then nommed!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #4390 on: March 20, 2023, 09:13:10 AM »
We're making Lablabi, a Tunisian chickpea stew, a la a NYT recipe we found a year or two ago.  Served over crusty bread DH made yesterday that still has the kitchen smelling cozy.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4391 on: March 20, 2023, 02:03:47 PM »
I made a triple batch of taco meat today, so we will have that for dinner 2x this week, and the rest of the meat is in the freezer. We serve our tacos with chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, lettuce, & sour cream. We'd use salsa if we have that. We do have amazing fresh avocados, so I'll dice those up as well.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #4392 on: March 20, 2023, 02:09:31 PM »
I think (hope) we're having tteokboki for dinner tonight. so good.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4393 on: March 20, 2023, 08:05:23 PM »
Eggplant Involtini (AKA Eggplant Rollatini), with green beans.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4394 on: March 20, 2023, 09:00:20 PM »
Better than Panera broccoli cream soup.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4395 on: March 21, 2023, 09:11:38 AM »
Probably spaghetti & meatballs

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #4396 on: March 21, 2023, 09:29:18 AM »
Colcannon, with an egg on top.  Leftovers from Friday when we only realized at 6pm that we had completely by coincidence planned to make this traditional Irish Dish on St. Patty's Day.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4397 on: March 21, 2023, 12:03:38 PM »
roasted tomato and red pepper soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  Because I'm fancy.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4398 on: March 21, 2023, 12:23:17 PM »
Stuffed mushrooms and Caesar salad.

@Josiecat if you serve them on China it’s fancy! My trick for dressing up my lazy. My China goes in the dishwasher.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4399 on: March 21, 2023, 02:51:38 PM »
Tonight's plan is chicken split breasts since they are on sale.
What kind of deal did ya get on the chicken? It was recently on sale for $1.29 /lb at my discount grocer -- boneless/skinless; I bought 35 pounds of it.  It was all frozen.    They have a sale now for "split chicken breast" (I guess that means with the bone) for 82 cents per pound; which probably is a really good deal in comparison because breast bones are thin and can be used for chicken stock as well.
I actually looked at the ad again and it was $1.99/# when I thought I'd seen 99¢/#, so we ate baked potatoes with the leftover cabbage and bacon plus corn.  82¢/# is a good price for split breasts.  I think they roast up moister than boneless/skinless, and I do use the bones in stock.

Local grocer has advertised boneless/skinless chicken for 99¢/# for three days next week, so I'm planning to hit that sale.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!