Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 951465 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #3350 on: August 09, 2021, 01:09:42 PM »
My 14 y.o is making a foccacia based pepperoni pizza. The dough needs to chill for a couple days, so looks like it will be ready tonight.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3351 on: August 09, 2021, 01:55:26 PM »
My 14 y.o is making a foccacia based pepperoni pizza. The dough needs to chill for a couple days, so looks like it will be ready tonight.
OOoh! that sounds good. 

Tonight's menu is meatloaf (I was given a huge amount of BBQ sauce that I'd like to use up), shisito peppers, and yellow squash from the garden.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3352 on: August 11, 2021, 07:07:29 PM »
OOoh! that sounds good. 

Tonight's menu is meatloaf (I was given a huge amount of BBQ sauce that I'd like to use up), shisito peppers, and yellow squash from the garden.

We're almost finished cleaning up the fridge from a houseguest (with an eating disorder, sigh), so I'm making chili with leftover (fantastically good) corn tortillas and a variety of salads. And leftover awesome salsa.

Perhaps tomorrow I can return to our ordinary scheduled dinners... (actually, tomorrow I will be using up a cauliflower before it gets too tired.)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #3353 on: August 11, 2021, 11:03:52 PM »
Pork roast.  The pork at Aldi is ridiculously cheap for meat, and the left overs will go into wraps over the next few days.  A 2 kg roast will feed us for 4 days at least.

And crackling...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3354 on: August 12, 2021, 03:29:38 PM »
@CNM - the pizza recipe was great. Sharing, in case you're interested. https://www.joshuaweissman.com/post/giant-6-homemade-pizza-but-cheaper

Tonight is "clean out the fridge" night. I'm looking for takers for the following:
-Pizza mentioned above
-1 serving of taco meat
-2-3 servings of kebabs & rice

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3355 on: August 15, 2021, 11:02:04 AM »
Last night, I made taco filling with ground beef, a can of chickpeas, the tomatillos from this week's farm share, and tomatoes and poblano and buena mulata peppers from our garden (along with onions, garlic, and other taco seasonings). It's so much fun to cook with super fresh local veg.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3356 on: August 15, 2021, 06:22:55 PM »
My husband is making grilled chicken kebabs & rice.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3357 on: August 16, 2021, 07:53:40 AM »
We're trying a new recipe for veggie wraps that use a mixture of coconut flakes and various spices (liquid smoke, maple syrup, onion/garlic powders, etc) to replicate bacon bits.  I'm really hoping it's a hit. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3358 on: August 17, 2021, 12:22:26 PM »
I made selfcaught cod, with a few selfpicked mushrooms. Oven baked potatoes and small oven baked bell peppers. Tatajiki.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3359 on: August 17, 2021, 04:16:30 PM »
Tonight will be room-temp salad of black beans, fresh corn kernels, red pepper, and avocado in a chipotle-lime vinaigrette. With chips, or toasted corn tortillas. And probably some other veg, on the side.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3360 on: August 17, 2021, 07:23:30 PM »
I made grilled cheese sandwiches, which I haven't made in at least a year.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3361 on: August 17, 2021, 07:46:49 PM »
Pan-seared homegrown shishito peppers, tuna steaks, and oven-fried potatoes.

August is homegrown tomato and pepper month and I love it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3362 on: August 18, 2021, 05:40:16 PM »
Homemade pizza, with whole wheat crust. It just never gets old. Normally I use raw sesame seeds in the dough, which really helps it not stick when forming the pies. Today I tried toasted sesame seeds. It will be interesting to see if it adds any discernable flavor. It's the big Costco container, which I sometimes have trouble using up. It never dawned on me to use them in pizza dough.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3363 on: August 18, 2021, 06:37:28 PM »
Odd weeknight skillet jumble: sauteed chicken breast, onion, zucchini (from a friend's garden), tomatoes (from our garden), garlic, and various spices over chickpea-flour pasta. It was decent with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3364 on: August 18, 2021, 07:34:38 PM »

Our garden shishitos are so delicious. We've been eating them blistered, with olive oil, salt & pepper.

Tonight was grilled chicken & cauliflower rice, with an early diner (soccer practice) having a chicken quesadilla.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3365 on: August 18, 2021, 08:05:41 PM »

Our garden shishitos are so delicious. We've been eating them blistered, with olive oil, salt & pepper.

Tonight was grilled chicken & cauliflower rice, with an early diner (soccer practice) having a chicken quesadilla.

We cook our shishito peppers the same way, except we add a dash of toasted sesame oil. I highly recommend it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3366 on: August 19, 2021, 04:30:13 PM »
@OtherJen - I will definitely try that. Yum!

We're having spaghetti & meatballs tonight.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3367 on: August 19, 2021, 04:48:26 PM »
Tamale pie in crockpot with Jiffy cornbread on top! Topped with cilantro and sour cream...so good! Salad with garden lettuce, cukes and tomatoes from a local farm!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3368 on: August 20, 2021, 09:49:30 PM »
We made a really great shrimp bisque. My husband had torn this recipe out from a newspaper or something and deemed it "very good" at some time in the past preceding our relationship.  I'd never had a chance to try it, which means the recipe was sitting around for a long time!  It was indeed very good and although it wasn't as easy as throwing a salad or some tacos together or something, it was easier than I expected shrimp bisque to be.  And no cream, even though it was very creamy and thick!

Served with sambal-roasted brussels, which is also a delicious recipe we have, but is a lot more work than just tossing with oil and salt and sticking them in the oven for a while.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3369 on: August 22, 2021, 09:15:38 AM »
We're having steak & shishito peppers tonight, and I'm prepping guacamole & chicken fajitas for tomorrow. I have a late meeting, so I'll do tomorrow's dinner prep today.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3370 on: August 22, 2021, 09:37:05 AM »
We're having steak & shishito peppers tonight, and I'm prepping guacamole & chicken fajitas for tomorrow. I have a late meeting, so I'll do tomorrow's dinner prep today.

Steak and shishitos will be either tonight's or tomorrow's dinner over here!

We have some leftover corn, a couple of zucchinis, and some peppers and tomatoes, so I'm thinking a succotash-like dish might be a good idea one of those nights. Maybe I'll throw in some black beans and a bit of lime and seasoning. Could be good with grilled salmon or shrimp. Hmm.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3371 on: August 26, 2021, 12:08:11 PM »
Help me out!  We have:
chicken breasts
2 big logs of goat cheese
lettuce
pantry staples

Any suggestions?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3372 on: August 26, 2021, 12:28:49 PM »
Help me out!  We have:
chicken breasts
lettuce
pantry staples

Any suggestions?

Season and grill the chicken breasts and serve them on top of salads with lettuce, crumbled goat cheese, and vinaigrette?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3373 on: August 26, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »
We're having steak (grill), baked potatoes (microwave), and various raw cut veggies on the side. It's too hot to cook using the stove or oven today.

I just got away with lentil marinara-topped pasta yesterday by boiling the pasta and cooking lentils in the morning and then cooking the marinara sauce with the lentils in the crockpot all afternoon. I cooked a stirfry in the kitchen on Tuesday and regretted that decision to heat up the kitchen all evening.   

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3374 on: August 26, 2021, 12:39:54 PM »
Help me out!  We have:
chicken breasts
lettuce
pantry staples

Any suggestions?

Season and grill the chicken breasts and serve them on top of salads with lettuce, crumbled goat cheese, and vinaigrette?

Thanks!  I just turned up some canned mango (great for lassis) and frozen naan bread.  Hmm. I could Indian this up, but not sure where the goat cheese fits in (it must get eaten ASAP.)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3375 on: August 26, 2021, 12:45:21 PM »
Thanks!  I just turned up some canned mango (great for lassis) and frozen naan bread.  Hmm. I could Indian this up, but not sure where the goat cheese fits in (it must get eaten ASAP.)

If you want to use up a lot of goat cheese in salads, you can slice medallions of it, bread it and pan-fry it (I haven't made it in years but I'm sure you can google a recipe to get timing etc.) to make it more of the star of the dish instead of just a little crumble on top.

You could also make a goat cheese cheesecake for dessert if you have too much to use up... not everyone's cup of tea but some people love it. (I had to look up a lot of goat cheese recipes when my mom accidentally got 24 oz. of goat cheese she didn't order in a food delivery last year, LOL.)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3376 on: August 26, 2021, 12:53:44 PM »
That's a lot of goat cheese!  If you have time on your hands, you could make ravioli with it.  Various herbs would work well to dress it up, maybe some browned butter, etc.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3377 on: August 26, 2021, 12:56:43 PM »
Yeah, as usual I lost my head in Costco and when I got home I realized I bought too much cheese.

Thanks!  I am thinking I may be able to pull something together with the help of polenta, sun dried tomatoes or porcini mushrooms. The goat cheese could be incorporated into the polenta, or crumbled or pan fried in medallions (that might be more popular) over salad. Polenta could be used to crust the chicken or as wedges on the side.  Now the question is, did my polenta flour get infested by moths yet...?

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3378 on: August 26, 2021, 01:35:21 PM »
I just had Indian food where they had a stuffed naan with goat cheese, garlic, and mushrooms in it rolled like a quesadilla for an appetizer. It was fabulous with our masala. Kulcha was what they called it.

http://www.lehja.com/images/menu/258721_Lehja_Dinner_Menu_May_2021.pdf
Or serve it with the mangoes in a mango chutney?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3379 on: August 26, 2021, 03:00:28 PM »
That looks great! It looks like I could sub in the goat cheese for paneer. Found the following website that looks like it has more cool recipes.

https://www.spiceroots.com/paneer-kulcha-breadbakers/

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3380 on: August 26, 2021, 06:22:32 PM »
Veggie wraps made with homemade tortillas, which are always delicious, and homemade hummus, which is also always delicious, plus red peppers, cucumber, avocado, egg fried in garlic chili sauce, and Italian parsley.

So simple, but so crazy delicious. It's unreal the difference fresh ingredients make.

I don't make tortillas often, the rolling is hard on my wrist injuries, but they're such a treat.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3381 on: August 26, 2021, 07:17:16 PM »
Yeah, as usual I lost my head in Costco and when I got home I realized I bought too much cheese.

Thanks!  I am thinking I may be able to pull something together with the help of polenta, sun dried tomatoes or porcini mushrooms. The goat cheese could be incorporated into the polenta, or crumbled or pan fried in medallions (that might be more popular) over salad. Polenta could be used to crust the chicken or as wedges on the side.  Now the question is, did my polenta flour get infested by moths yet...?

You can freeze one of the logs of goat cheese. I have a log of Costco goat cheese in my freezer right now.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3382 on: August 26, 2021, 07:58:21 PM »

You can freeze one of the logs of goat cheese. I have a log of Costco goat cheese in my freezer right now.

I think that's what I'm going to have to do.  I decided it was too hot to bake anything at 550 degrees, so I ended up doing butter chicken, cauliflower, and rice in the Instant Pot with a side of red lentils. I was going to just melt the goat cheese on the naan bread that I had already. Then I got so frazzled when it turned out that the IP had failed to turn on, that I forgot to use the cheese!

I don't think I can avoid a grocery run, so I will plan a Greek night around one log of cheese, and maybe ravioli with the other one.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3383 on: August 30, 2021, 09:03:15 AM »
I have chicken marinating for a chicken shawarma dinner, which I hope is tasty. We'll serve with diced onions, tomatoes, feta cheese, & maybe a bit of lettuce

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #3384 on: August 30, 2021, 09:15:18 AM »
I'm busting out the pasta maker and making mushroom ravioli, which I'm going serve with the budget bytes sun-dried tomato cream sauce. https://www.budgetbytes.com/one-pot-creamy-sun-dried-tomato-pasta/

So decadent!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3385 on: August 30, 2021, 09:29:06 AM »
I am thinking of making penny bun carpaccio. Followed by wraps filled with red pepper, squash, more penny buns and blue cheese.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3386 on: August 30, 2021, 10:12:12 AM »
Probably beef and black bean tacos, with corn salsa. We have fresh tomatoes, corn, cabbage, and four types of peppers that need to be used soon.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3387 on: August 30, 2021, 01:19:06 PM »
clean out the fridge night... burrito bowls with black beans, quinoa and various chopped veggies.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3388 on: August 30, 2021, 01:45:22 PM »
vegan ravioli and a salad. Not very exciting.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3389 on: August 30, 2021, 01:46:59 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache - giant pizza is rising in the fridge for dinner on Tuesday!

Tonight: Black bean burgers w/ something on the side... maybe corn chips and/or air fried potatoes.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3390 on: September 17, 2021, 05:06:41 PM »
tomato onion tart, spinach salad

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3391 on: September 17, 2021, 07:06:27 PM »
Chili with leftover flank steak.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3392 on: September 18, 2021, 11:27:47 AM »
Salmon burgers. Fabulous Food Network recipe.
I catch and eat a lot of salmon and I am a complete salmon snob.
I found some chinook tail sections hidden in the freezer from 9/20, tail sections I save for deep frying since they have very little fat content compared to the other cuts (so they are not as mouth wateringly oily).
But I decided to try this recipe last month, I'd never actually made patties before.
So good!
I think it's the lemon zest, you really can't go wrong with lemon zest.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3393 on: September 18, 2021, 12:00:07 PM »
I found some chinook tail sections hidden in the freezer from 9/20, tail sections I save for deep frying since they have very little fat content compared to the other cuts (so they are not as mouth wateringly oily).
But I decided to try this recipe last month, I'd never actually made patties before.
So good!

Mmm, that sounds so good.  I tried a disappointing new white bean burger recently and now feel like I need a better burger to replace the memory and this would be perfect.

We marinated shrimp last night in generous amounts of lemon zest and crushed red pepper and garlic to make a delicious shrimp scampi served over orzo.

Tonight, a giant couscous cake with a roasted red bell pepper sauce. It's a weekend dish only since it's a little bit of work. The roasted red bell pepper sauce, which includes a little apple cider vinegar and just a touch of maple syrup, is delish.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3394 on: September 18, 2021, 03:56:27 PM »
Pineapple Chicken Teriyaki from Budget Bytes: https://www.budgetbytes.com/slow-cooker-pineapple-teriyaki-chicken/

Plus rice from a giant vat I made to support some leftover chicken barg for lunch today and simple fried rice for lunches in the coming week.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #3395 on: September 18, 2021, 04:35:41 PM »

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3396 on: September 18, 2021, 04:43:16 PM »
clean out the freezer night.... chili cheese dogs and roasted broccoli

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3397 on: September 18, 2021, 05:55:40 PM »
So good!

I'd love the recipe, if you're willing to link it! I love salmon patties.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3398 on: September 18, 2021, 05:59:50 PM »
We're having this Budget Bytes honey-sriracha tofu over rice with stir-fried bell peppers and onions. I regret not baking the tofu because it is sticking horribly to the skillet.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3399 on: September 18, 2021, 09:03:28 PM »
We had a feast:
Steak with chimichurri sauce (made almost entirely from garden ingredients. The sauce, that is ;-))
Caprese salad (tomatoes & basil from garden)
Roasted acorn squash, in a nod to fall
Wine