Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 951616 times)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #3250 on: March 19, 2021, 02:37:00 PM »
Fish tacos!  It's not Tuesday, but I find it's never a bad day for tacos.  Esp. fish tacos with lightly fried fish, creamy/spicy sauce, fresh pico de gallo.  Combination of so many things I love.

With salad.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3251 on: March 19, 2021, 06:53:43 PM »
Pasta topped with lentils simmered in homemade tomato-vegetable sauce. One of those lovely nights when I cooked without a recipe and the end product was exactly what I wanted.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3252 on: March 19, 2021, 08:41:54 PM »
I made a very mediocre zucchini frittata, and I was just not having that. So I sliced up the very mediocre frittata and made very fancy grilled cheese sandwiches with it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3253 on: March 19, 2021, 09:42:08 PM »
Belated St. Patrick's day meal. Homemade corned leg of lamb and turnip- kale colcannon.

Will be making shepherds pie with the leftovers tomorrow.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3254 on: March 20, 2021, 07:04:43 PM »
Mini dutch babies, strawberry rhubarb sauce, braised cabbage and bacon

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3255 on: March 20, 2021, 08:41:00 PM »
We were supposed to go out to dinner (outdoor dining, COVID friendly), but a teen needed a ride home, so we made a "date night" at home. Ended up being great. We dug out a bottle of nice wine, coconut shrimp, pesto & meatballs, & made dinner from that. Followed by really nice chocolate. Much cheaper, and yummy.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3256 on: March 20, 2021, 09:20:20 PM »
Oh man, we made a crazy recipe my DH tore out from the paper with coconut rice with lime zest and scallions, baked tofu with an elaborate sauce combining peanut butter, fish sauce, habanero, ginger, and a few other things, served on a bed of arugula with pickled bell peppers accompanying, and it was pretty good, but just probably too complicated.  The lime juice alone had our heads spinning.  Still, it's fun to try something out and see how it goes.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3257 on: March 28, 2021, 03:59:01 AM »
Last night I made baked Salmon, Sautéed asparagus and rice. On average we probably eat Salmon about 1.5 xs a week/6xs a month.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3258 on: March 28, 2021, 03:06:38 PM »
Tonight we are having an odd ball poor mans stroganoff. It is cooked ground beef, green and red bell peppers sauteed, mushrooms, cooked ground breakfast sausage, alfredo sauce and cream of mushroom soup. I have it all warming in the crockpot and will put over egg noodles. Kind of a hodge podge but yummy. Normally, I add sour cream at the end but this time it has lots of sauce so no sour cream!

All the ingredients were previously cooked and frozen so all I had to do is defrost and dump in the crock pot with the sauce. A no brainer! All I have to do is cook the noodles!

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3259 on: March 28, 2021, 03:58:44 PM »
Someone gave us a box of matzoh, so I decided to try matzoh lasagna. It’s in the oven now.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3260 on: March 28, 2021, 10:46:51 PM »
Last night I made tofu/eggplant green curry that resulted in lots of leftovers and DH is off on a trip for a few days, so I'll be eating it for lunch the next few days.

I think tomorrow I'm going to sous vide a turkey breast that's been in the freezer since Thanksgiving, and make a red cabbage and jicama slaw. Between that and the curry, I think I'm good until DH gets home on Wednesday or Thursday.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3261 on: March 30, 2021, 12:34:14 PM »
It's Tuesday, therefore it must be tacos!

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3262 on: March 30, 2021, 12:55:41 PM »
Warm weather is back, snow is gone it's BBQ time! Kid want hamburgers and hotdogs, will be adding some cut up vegies to make it healthy and some strawberries for dessert.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3263 on: March 30, 2021, 01:23:42 PM »
Individual meatloaves, asparagus, roasted sweet potatoes.

Possibly the last "sit down" meal I'll make in this house.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3264 on: March 30, 2021, 04:24:34 PM »
We had a giant prime rib roast about a month ago and there were some leftover slices we froze. Tonight, we will warm them up slightly and they will still be rare-ish with mashed taters and baby broccoli.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3265 on: March 30, 2021, 05:56:12 PM »
My brother has taken a hiatus from selling body parts for human consumption, so I purchased half a cow from an old school friend of mine (we became friends in kindergarten).  Just cooked up a tenderloin steak that I wrapped in a piece of bacon (a little Montreal steak seasoning and a touch of butter right before it was done).  Added some asparagus spears on the side (cooked in the juices with a little ground garlic). 

I'm hoping my motivation stays up, because we have some good stuff on the menu this week (my son is cooking a small chicken, but also having Tuscan chicken at some point, some homemade paneer with some kind of sauce over rice, and a Chocolate Guinness cake because I got a good deal on Guinness at Costco.  I'll probably make a chocolate milkshake with the "extra" beer since it will be room-temp.)  I have several fresh vegetables for all the sides and salads as well-- trying to eat more of those, but I'm not much of a fan, never have been.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #3266 on: March 31, 2021, 07:55:15 AM »
I'm planning on homemade pepperoni pizza.  I make the dough by hand with my great aunt's recipe and it normally turns out great!  I love kneading dough, it's so relaxing. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3267 on: March 31, 2021, 05:04:32 PM »
Tacos el pastor, with toppings: cilantro, onion, avocado, cheese. I also made a quick slaw to go with it.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #3268 on: March 31, 2021, 06:56:54 PM »
Taco meat, refried beans, and all the fixings with homemade corn tortillas

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3269 on: April 07, 2021, 06:14:18 PM »
Teriyaki Tempeh and Broccoli over brown rice.

It had been too long since we last had tempeh. Yum! I missed it. I can't follow a recipe exactly, so I added some onion to the stir-fry and a bit of mustard, some mushroom umami powder, and a dash of fish sauce to the teriyaki sauce.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3270 on: April 08, 2021, 09:01:50 PM »
Tonight was chard cakes, served with salad.  The chard cakes are made with lots of pecorino cheese and pine nuts, then fried and have a nice bright green, fresh vegetal sauce made with sorrel leaves drizzled over them.

Tomorrow we are trying a new smitten kitchen recipe, this veg morroccan tagine-ish stew: https://smittenkitchen.com/2009/01/squash-and-chickpea-moroccan-stew/  I really hate skinning and dicing a hard butternut squash.  Who thinks I can roast it a bit to soften it up and then cut it up and just add it to the stew a bit later than the recipe prescribes?

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3271 on: April 09, 2021, 01:38:59 PM »
Ham and cheese pretzel pockets, oil rubbed kale salad

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3272 on: April 09, 2021, 01:51:00 PM »
Chicken breasts rubbed with mayo cooked on the BBQ.  Sides will be sliced potato interleaved with sliced onion wrapped in tin foil cooked on the BBQ, and some green beans.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3273 on: April 09, 2021, 05:04:44 PM »
Planning to make some Israeli salad tonight - cucumbers, tomato, and lemon juice.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3274 on: April 09, 2021, 06:24:44 PM »
Coconut rice and beans with chicken (https://www.swbeans.com/recipe/coconut-rice-beans-chicken/), side of frozen bagged veggies.  It wasn't very flavorful, but hot sauce helped.

It's my first dinner at the apartment.  I'm easing into getting back to my usual routines, and didn't do much planning before grocery shopping this morning.  I really wanted to make the pork roast I got at the store today, but it wouldn't have had enough time in the crockpot, so it will wait until Sunday.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3275 on: April 10, 2021, 05:23:48 AM »
Last night because they were finally on sale buy one pack get one free I tried and Grilled Beyond Meat Burgers for the DW and I as were trying a little more each day to clean up what were eating. Anyhow I was shocked how much I liked/or was ok with them. I like Black Bean burgers and veggie burgers as well but this for sure tasted as close is anything is going to be to a burger imo

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3276 on: April 10, 2021, 09:09:55 PM »
Last night because they were finally on sale buy one pack get one free I tried and Grilled Beyond Meat Burgers for the DW and I as were trying a little more each day to clean up what were eating. Anyhow I was shocked how much I liked/or was ok with them. I like Black Bean burgers and veggie burgers as well but this for sure tasted as close is anything is going to be to a burger imo

If you can find Impossible anywhere, give that a try- my wife and I both think it's far preferable to Beyond. Not that Beyond was bad, but Impossible is much better, IMO. Our regular grocery store has the frozen bricks (I think it's 12oz ?) for maybe $6 or $7.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3277 on: April 10, 2021, 09:48:17 PM »

If you can find Impossible anywhere, give that a try- my wife and I both think it's far preferable to Beyond. Not that Beyond was bad, but Impossible is much better, IMO. Our regular grocery store has the frozen bricks (I think it's 12oz ?) for maybe $6 or $7.

So interesting. We've had both Beyond and Impossible a handful of times each, but spaced far enough apart that I have no ability to judge them against each other. Like them both. I'm very interested to see where this industry goes next.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3278 on: April 10, 2021, 11:03:33 PM »
I made a soup tonight with leftover smoked chicken and veggies that needed to be used. We got our covid shots on Wednesday and that sort of threw a wrench into the meal plan for the week (last-minute out of town vaccine appointments so we ate at DQ, then Thursday we vegetated on the couch and ate junk food while feeling tired and achey).

DH bought a bag of Santitas tortilla chips, so tomorrow I'm thinking we'll have nachos, then Monday it's back on the Healthy Foods train, I swear!

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3279 on: April 11, 2021, 12:15:09 PM »
Pulled pork (on a roll for BF, over spinach for me), roasted brussels sprouts, and roasted sweet potatoes.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3280 on: April 11, 2021, 09:00:23 PM »
Roasted spatchcocked chicken: I had a chance to order 1/4 steer, and when I went to pick it up found that the processor was also selling local chicken for a reasonable price. So I got two while I was there.

Had it with roasted sweet potatoes (just a few), Brussels sprouts, and a couscous and vegetable salad with a lime curry vinaigrette.

Chicken leftovers will be used for pozole in the next few days.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3281 on: April 12, 2021, 03:10:02 PM »
Finally worked my way through a bunch of leftovers (Tuscan chicken, Guinness beef stew, homemade paneer with a curry sauce, etc) so tonight is either chili dogs or stir fry, whichever I'm in the mood to make once I get to work.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3282 on: April 12, 2021, 04:19:49 PM »
Fish on the BBQ with a side of rice. The timing of this is because it is garbage day tomorrow and I always like to plan a fish meal the day before. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3283 on: April 12, 2021, 05:17:08 PM »
My parents are in town this week, and my dad offered to make lasagna, salad, & my 14 year old made French bread. Yum.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3284 on: April 13, 2021, 03:15:17 AM »
My Family loves wings so last night I made for the first time my own thinking I would keep it simple and build from there if they liked them. I went with a recipe that basically you cut the chicken wings and snip the tips off. Then salt and pepper them and broil each side for 10 minutes. Put them in a slow cooker and poor over them a mix of BBQ sauce, Honey, Worchester and mustard. They were excellent. The pre-broiling was the key to have them still crispy. So a win on that one.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3285 on: April 13, 2021, 08:37:07 AM »
Doing a post-immunity parent visit. Mom had some dental work done and thought of a nice soft dish I'd made one time that she liked, so she requested it for dinner last night - chicken pot pie with shepherd's pie style mashed potato topping instead of pastry. Originally came up with it for a family member who is celiac, but it's apparently also good if you can't chew.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3286 on: April 13, 2021, 10:55:09 AM »
My parents are still in town visiting, so my dad is making us chicken enchiladas. We're spoiled!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3287 on: April 13, 2021, 11:27:18 AM »
Doing a post-immunity parent visit. Mom had some dental work done and thought of a nice soft dish I'd made one time that she liked, so she requested it for dinner last night - chicken pot pie with shepherd's pie style mashed potato topping instead of pastry. Originally came up with it for a family member who is celiac, but it's apparently also good if you can't chew.

Ooh, that's a good idea. I love chicken pot pie but don't always want to fuss with pie crust.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3288 on: April 13, 2021, 01:45:47 PM »

Ooh, that's a good idea. I love chicken pot pie but don't always want to fuss with pie crust.

If I want to make it sound fancy, I call it chicken pot pie méthode shepherdoise.

Also very easy to make with Thanksgiving leftovers.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3289 on: April 13, 2021, 06:26:11 PM »

My lazy version (and also makes larger portions than if I got a premade crust from the store) is to cook it in an oven-safe pan and then put crescent roll dough over it. The inner part is all fully cooked/hot already so it just goes into the oven for the same amount of time that crescent rolls would normally cook for. You just have to remember not to grab the pan's handle with your bare hand afterwards!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3290 on: April 13, 2021, 08:10:36 PM »
Mmm crescent pot pie. I am going to try that!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3291 on: April 14, 2021, 09:23:07 AM »
Last night I wasn't really feeling it, so I defrosted some chili and we had nachos: corn chips, chili, grated cheese, optional chopped onion and pickled jalapeños, and cabbage-n-carrot slaw. And I found some freezer-burnt butter pecan ice cream in the far back of the freezer (I'm the only one who likes that flavor, so it tends to last a while...).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3292 on: April 14, 2021, 09:30:04 AM »
Last night I wasn't really feeling it, so I defrosted some chili and we had nachos: corn chips, chili, grated cheese, optional chopped onion and pickled jalapeños, and cabbage-n-carrot slaw. And I found some freezer-burnt butter pecan ice cream in the far back of the freezer (I'm the only one who likes that flavor, so it tends to last a while...).

I hear that. I am a bit burned out on meal planning. Last night, we managed to put together dinner salads with the last of the salad greens, the eggs I had just hard-boiled, some goat cheese, and a couple of chicken thighs that husband cooked quickly. This morning, I asked his preference for takeout because I need a night when I neither have to cook nor clean up after he cooks.

I think we're ordering pizza.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3293 on: April 14, 2021, 11:22:30 AM »
Two nights ago I made a pork shoulder in a Reynolds cooking bag. It was around 9 lbs and took about 4 hours at 350 degrees. We had pork, sauerkraut, mashed taters and peas, oh and a little applesauce. Last night the Hub put some of the pork with canned chipolte peppers in a pot with onions and Sweet Baby Rays barbeque sauce. We had it on toasted grinder rolls and home made french fries in the air fryer. Tonight, we will have pork in pork gravy with mashed taters, sauerkraut and a veg. What a great piece of meat and it gave us a lot of meat. Fortunately, we are not sick of having it 3 nights in a row. After tonight, if there are leftovers, they are going to the freezer!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3294 on: April 14, 2021, 11:41:02 AM »
Two nights ago I made a pork shoulder in a Reynolds cooking bag. It was around 9 lbs and took about 4 hours at 350 degrees. We had pork, sauerkraut, mashed taters and peas, oh and a little applesauce. Last night the Hub put some of the pork with canned chipolte peppers in a pot with onions and Sweet Baby Rays barbeque sauce. We had it on toasted grinder rolls and home made french fries in the air fryer. Tonight, we will have pork in pork gravy with mashed taters, sauerkraut and a veg. What a great piece of meat and it gave us a lot of meat. Fortunately, we are not sick of having it 3 nights in a row. After tonight, if there are leftovers, they are going to the freezer!

Pork shoulder is truly the gift that keeps giving. It's so frugal. I recently slow-roasted a 4-lb one, and we had delicious meat for a week in tacos, salads, sandwiches, chili, etc. It was fantastic.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3295 on: April 14, 2021, 12:51:55 PM »
I had originally planned to put the pork shoulder in my crockpot but it was way too big. It had a big bone in it. So, I used the Reynolds cooking bag for Turkey's. If any of you have never used those cooking bags you should try it. I always cook my turkeys in them and they cook to perfection and rarely ever have I had a dry turkey. Plus, it cuts down on splatter inside the oven and makes clean up a breeze. I also use the Reynolds crockpot liners and I love them! I rarely have to clean my CP. Typically, I just take out the liner and take some windex and a papertowel to wipe it out. I hate it when the CP gets crusty. Mine is big so it is a chore to clean in the sink.

More people should try pork shoulder! It is typically low in cost and like OtherJen said it is a meat that keeps giving. If I have more leftovers, at some point I might make a fried rice with pork.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3296 on: April 14, 2021, 01:27:25 PM »
We're having kebabs & rice tonight

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3297 on: April 14, 2021, 02:49:49 PM »
Moroccan Meatball and Couscous Soup (https://littlespicejar.com/moroccan-meatball-couscous-soup/) with spinach side salad.  It's simple, but really good - though this time I'm using beef (I think I did lamb the first time).

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3298 on: April 14, 2021, 05:33:46 PM »
It's 30 degrees out (F, about -1 for you C people) and there's a bit of snow on the ground, and it's been gloomy all day. We're having pozole with leftover chicken & pork. And salad, to use up the "baby salad greens" before they go slimy.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3299 on: April 14, 2021, 05:57:36 PM »
Another request from Mom, whose mouth is better today: I baked homemade bagels for breakfast sandwiches with bacon, egg & cheese. For dinner. Because we don't get up that early. :-)