Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 951423 times)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2450 on: July 30, 2020, 03:20:07 PM »
Broccoli and tofu stir-fry with peanut sauce. Probably over rice.

<snerk> us too -- we have broccoli to use up, and I just found a bottle of Thai Peanut Sauce lurking in the pantry.

It's like a freaky Jen mind-meld this week.
Yummy.  That sounds delish.

Leftover pasta, and roasted tomato white bean soup.  We were down to a few carrots, onion, and some tomatoes...

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2451 on: July 30, 2020, 07:15:31 PM »
Meatloaf, sauteed sprouts, mashed potatoes. Back to the basics.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2452 on: July 30, 2020, 07:53:12 PM »
Lettuce salad, cucumber salad, and a few cheese curds.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #2453 on: July 30, 2020, 08:38:46 PM »
I’m in a food rut. Recovered from covid and was so happy to have my taste back that I splurged on take out only to be hit by food poisoning. Tomorrow is grocery day and I have no idea what to buy because nothing sounds good. What do you all make when you’re recovering and just not that into food?

(P.S. I’m turned off of pork right now because it was bbq that did me in)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2454 on: July 31, 2020, 09:15:06 AM »
something with chicken stock - ramen or chicken noodle soup? that's what my heart wants.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2455 on: July 31, 2020, 01:31:06 PM »
I’m in a food rut. Recovered from covid and was so happy to have my taste back that I splurged on take out only to be hit by food poisoning. Tomorrow is grocery day and I have no idea what to buy because nothing sounds good. What do you all make when you’re recovering and just not that into food?

I hate to say "what sounds good to you", but that's where I usually start, along with the grocery store sales flier. Possible thoughts:

pasta, with tomato sauce (with or without sausage/meat) and cheese. Or pesto.
chili, slaw, tortillas or chips
something with potatoes and green beans, possibly with grilled meat, or just boiled with melted cheese on top
cobb salad? It's sort of a PITA, but you can get most of the components from a salad bar?

For that matter, Trader Joe's sells a lot of pre-made salads that are pretty good, if you're not yet up for cooking. If you have one near you...

Let's see ... a salad with tuna and/or medium- or hard-boiled egg halves on top, with toast.
my kids like toast with peanut butter and pickles (both boys. search me!)

I just made this: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019456-peach-upside-down-skillet-cake-with-bourbon-whipped-cream  which doesn't really need the whipped cream and is delicious. I'll probably try it with plums, next.

I hope you find something that seems like it's appealing! being hungry but not really wanting to eat anything is the pits!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2456 on: July 31, 2020, 03:00:16 PM »

Aw, that’s awful!

When I’m feeling crappy, I often like pasta with butter and cheese (maybe a little garlic). A simple chicken noodle soup would also be good.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2457 on: July 31, 2020, 03:03:40 PM »
agree that simple things usually resonate best with me at times like those....not just considering what will go down easiest but because I lack all motivation to put the effort into something that may reignite my food desires.  I would even cut myself some slack and just do cereal for dinner or lunch and yeah some easy soups and defintely pasta with simple, easy toppings.  What usually happens for me then is that I finally get bored with it and am eager enough for something more flavorful and healthy that I'm willing to put the work and effort in and excited to get back to some of my favorite meals.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #2458 on: July 31, 2020, 07:20:50 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, it helped to round out my grocery list! Went heavy on the vegetables and will probably have lots of soup. I could eat soup every day for the rest of my life and be happy. Sui Generis- you’re exactly right, I have no motivation to do anything! I’ll try to cut myself some slack, not  every meal has to be gourmet.

I felt like I needed some good protein after a few days of almost nothing and the only meat that sounded remotely appealing was fish so we splurged on some cobia  tonight. A little fish and broccoli was about all I could handle but it sure was delicious.

jeninco, that cake sounds phenomenal! I know what I’m making as soon as I feel better!

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #2459 on: July 31, 2020, 07:45:10 PM »
Homemade pizza with lots of tomatoes and fresh basil. With lots of wine.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2460 on: July 31, 2020, 07:49:45 PM »
I made kale chips for the first time today... yummy!    I made a little different than the recipe but used only kale, a little butter flavored cooking spray, and popcorn salt.
I love kale chips--I make mine w/olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, paprika and a bit of salt--we eat heaps of them around here!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2461 on: July 31, 2020, 07:52:03 PM »
Making this version of a saag paneer w/ feta to go alongside our indian leftovers..
--instead of spinach, I used arugula/mesclun mix & lettuce to use up garden greens--which means the flavour is always different but usually we like it :)
https://www.thekitchn.com/saag-feta-indianish-22956242

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2462 on: July 31, 2020, 09:53:11 PM »
Making this version of a saag paneer w/ feta to go alongside our indian leftovers..
--instead of spinach, I used arugula/mesclun mix & lettuce to use up garden greens--which means the flavour is always different but usually we like it :)

I love Priya's recipes, and her cookbook is great. Haven't made the saag feta yet but it's on my list!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2463 on: August 01, 2020, 02:10:18 PM »
Husband has been talking about steak for a few days so we visited the natural/local foods grocer today and bought a big grass-fed beef steak. That should be very tasty when cooked over charcoal and served with baked potatoes and sautéed Brussels sprouts. We got some delightful cherry tomatoes and cucumbers in our CSA share, so maybe I’ll do a little salad with those, scallions, feta, and vinaigrette.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2464 on: August 01, 2020, 02:11:01 PM »

I love Priya's recipes, and her cookbook is great. Haven't made the saag feta yet but it's on my list!

Saag feta sounds amazing. Thanks for the suggestion!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2465 on: August 01, 2020, 09:02:21 PM »
Aaand, still following along behind @OtherJen , (and because I went to the farmer's market) we had steak salad: grilled flank steak, potatoes and green beans, grilled eggplant and just a few grilled spicy peppers, olives, basil vinaigrette, with an alternate dressing of a garlic-y yogurt from a few days ago.

It was delicious.

We're having a marbled (chocolate and browned butter) yogurt cake for dessert.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2466 on: August 03, 2020, 08:06:24 PM »
It's non stop gourmet cooking here, without a kitchen. Tonight's dinner features a bagged salad with hot dogs. The kids had their dogs on buns. I got crazy & sliced mine up for my salad. Next up is clearly a cooking show.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2467 on: August 03, 2020, 08:32:31 PM »
We had grilled kielbasa and a giant baked zucchini fritter.

I'm working the polls tomorrow, so dinner will be whatever husband manages to scrounge up. Or he'll eat the leftover rice with eggs and kimchi and I'll eat the delightful looking gluten-free Cornish pasty I found at the local/natural foods grocer when I get home. (Kinda hoping for the second option, not gonna lie.)

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2468 on: August 03, 2020, 11:05:20 PM »
Leftover from-scratch clam chowder from last night mmmmmm. Bacon first browned in the bottom of the soup pan, then throw in the diced carrots, celery, onions and peppers. Sait and pepper and brown then a little bit of flour to make the roux--3-4 bay leaves as well. Deglaze with the chicken stock from boiled chicken a few days ago, bring to boil and throw in the potatoes. Boil until fork tender then in go the can of clams, a couple cans of corn and a couple cups of milk. Simmerrrr.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2469 on: August 04, 2020, 12:31:57 PM »

Saag feta sounds amazing. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hope you both enjoy! --it was great and since we have leftovers I am making red lentil dal, coconut curried greens and naan to get another meal out of it.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2470 on: August 04, 2020, 12:58:23 PM »
Chicken tikka masala (https://cafedelites.com/chicken-tikka-masala/).  Served over rice, with green beans and Brussels sprouts.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2471 on: August 04, 2020, 01:12:26 PM »
Broiled lake trout fillets that were just harvested from Traverse Bay Michigan Sunday, a hunk of bacon wrapped grilled venison loin harvested off our farm last fall, and a grilled veggie medley from our garden.
Love these "living off the land" meals !

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2472 on: August 04, 2020, 02:51:26 PM »
falafel waffles, skillet flatbreads, garden veggies( peppers kale cucumbers cherry tomatoes)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2473 on: August 04, 2020, 05:55:02 PM »
A creative ranch chicken chili, using a leftover rotisserie chicken & garden jalapenos

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2474 on: August 05, 2020, 08:32:27 AM »

I'm working the polls tomorrow, so dinner will be whatever husband manages to scrounge up. Or he'll eat the leftover rice with eggs and kimchi and I'll eat the delightful looking gluten-free Cornish pasty I found at the local/natural foods grocer when I get home. (Kinda hoping for the second option, not gonna lie.)

Around here that would never work, without a really big note stuck to the pasty saying "DO NOT EAT!!! THIS IS FOR MOM!"
And even then...

We had cauliflower and black bean tacos last night, which were delicious. The cauliflower is roasted with turmeric, paprika, cumin, and red pepper flakes. We also had saved a couple of ripe avocados, and had sour cream and the last of the fresh cilantro.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2475 on: August 05, 2020, 08:59:51 AM »

Around here that would never work, without a really big note stuck to the pasty saying "DO NOT EAT!!! THIS IS FOR MOM!"
And even then...

We had cauliflower and black bean tacos last night, which were delicious. The cauliflower is roasted with turmeric, paprika, cumin, and red pepper flakes. We also had saved a couple of ripe avocados, and had sour cream and the last of the fresh cilantro.

Ah, the advantage of being childless. Husband had zero interest in the pasty and didn't even want to split it last night, so I had the other half for breakfast today.

We're having baked chicken wings, roasted Brussels sprouts, and air-fried potatoes tonight.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2476 on: August 05, 2020, 10:43:11 AM »
We're having leftover grilled burgers & salad. Probably with watermelon.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2477 on: August 05, 2020, 06:14:43 PM »
You made me want caprese salad-so that was dinner along with chicken and potatoes.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2478 on: August 06, 2020, 08:29:37 AM »
Tonight: I went out this morning and picked an armload of chard from the garden. We're having upscale beany-weenies (white beans with vegetables, flavored with harissa, alongside Trader Joe's Andouille sausage) with cooked greens. And hopefully fresh bread, if I can persuade the 16-year old to bake the rest of the dough he's been aging in the fridge, per Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day instructions.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2479 on: August 06, 2020, 08:34:24 AM »
Following in the footsteps of @jeninco this time, I also have some chard to use up. It's going in the skillet with mushrooms, Italian sausage, onions, tomato paste, and basil. All of that will be served over pasta.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2480 on: August 06, 2020, 08:48:41 AM »
Looks like grilled chicken (frozen) over bagged salad. One day, we will be able to create new meals again. Can't wait!

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2481 on: August 06, 2020, 12:12:24 PM »
chicken pesto pasta with garlic sautéed green beans and zucchini.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2482 on: August 07, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »
Homemade pizza and salad.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2483 on: August 07, 2020, 05:54:50 PM »
An old, old recipe from the Silver Palate Cookbook for linguini. The "sauce" is a mixture of cut up tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, and cut up brie which is now marinating in a fair bit of olive oil with a little salt and Aleppo pepper. The heat of the cooked pasta will melt the cheese, and we'll serve it with a little grated hard cheese (probably Asiago, but who knows what we have), fresh green beans, and some artichokes that are cooking now.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2484 on: August 07, 2020, 09:48:34 PM »
One of the joys of being an adult is being able to eat ice cream for dinner.  So why did I just nearly fill myself up with a salad?!  Now I have to wait to make room for the ice cream (and hope I don't fall asleep first).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2485 on: August 08, 2020, 08:03:24 AM »
I had homemade gelato (from a friend, it was heavenly) last night for dinner. No idea what the kids ate. A friend has started making gelato at home as a COVID hobby, and I was the lucky recipient. A hazelnut milk chocolate, dark chocolate orange, dark chocolate with peanut butter, and a bellini sorbet. Incredible.

Tonight will be tacos & homemade pico de gallo

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2486 on: August 08, 2020, 08:13:28 AM »
Breakfast for dinner - buttermilk pancakes and bacon.  Eggs on request.

I'll eat a big salad for lunch to make up for no veggies at dinner!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2487 on: August 08, 2020, 08:17:15 AM »
Big spinach salads with Costco rotisserie chicken, feta, local cherry tomatoes and scallions, and lime basil–lemon vinaigrette.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2488 on: August 08, 2020, 03:07:29 PM »
Big spinach salads with Costco rotisserie chicken, feta, local cherry tomatoes and scallions, and lime basil–lemon vinaigrette.

Yum!

I bought a bunch of avocados (at a kid's request) sometime in the past week, and they're ripe. So I'm making chili now, and we'll either have it with tortillas or corn chips, and ... the stuff -- slaw, hot sauce, avocados, cheese, we'll probably finish up the scrapings of sour cream.

And fresh corn, which I picked up at the farmer's market this morning.

The one or two we don't eat will keep in the fridge for a day or two...

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2489 on: August 08, 2020, 03:34:57 PM »
Trying a new recipe tonight!  A farro salad with spiced chickpeas, fennel and roasted corn.  Lots of fresh herbs and other spices I like, like coriander and cumin.  Fingers crossed! 

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2490 on: August 08, 2020, 05:44:38 PM »
Marinated, grilled london broil.  It was perfect!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2491 on: August 09, 2020, 08:43:43 AM »
I made gas station steaks a couple nights ago.  The local gas station sells loads of stuff for cheap - bananas, eggs, mile, etc.  This summer they had individually wrapped three 5-oz steaks for $5.  I grilled these with some greek spice.  My dad said they were as good as the local steakhouse, and meals about 10% the price you'd pay there.  And guaranteed COVID-free.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2492 on: August 09, 2020, 09:33:23 AM »
Garden beans and onions in the crockpot with smoked sausage and tiny potatoes for supper tonight.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2493 on: August 09, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »
A salad of my own concoction that's shredded chicken, wild rice blend, steamed green beans, little cubes of cantaloupe, and a lime/cumin vinaigrette.

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2494 on: August 09, 2020, 04:55:20 PM »
Cabbage, potato and chicken-apple sausage skillet.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2495 on: August 09, 2020, 05:06:52 PM »
Barbecued ribs, grilled summer vegetable kabobs, and local potatoes grilled in foil packets.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2496 on: August 09, 2020, 07:29:10 PM »
homemade pan pizza (as distinct from our usual thin crust - I'm excited for this new version!) with bok choy and also roasting leftover fennel from the farro/corn/chickpea salad we made last night (which was awesome, btw).

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2497 on: August 09, 2020, 07:39:58 PM »
falafel waffles, skillet flatbreads, garden veggies( peppers kale cucumbers cherry tomatoes)

Care to share the recipe?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2498 on: August 10, 2020, 07:42:51 PM »
Spring rolls :) ..uses up lettuce/cukes/mint/etc but still super tasty

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2499 on: August 10, 2020, 08:59:31 PM »
Leftover lasagne, green beans fried with mushrooms and garlic. Might make pumpkin pie for dessert