Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950095 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2400 on: July 22, 2020, 03:29:28 PM »
We received a produce delivery box today, so we'll be having:
-baked chicken
-a big green salad
-peach, mozzarella, basil salad

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2401 on: July 22, 2020, 05:34:04 PM »
Homemade pizza's on pitta bread bases.

Tomato paste, herbs, cheese, salami, leftover roast beef diced, mushroom, capsicum, tomato, bocconcini on top.  All of it was stuff in the fridge or freezer already.  Yum.

Tomorrow will be wraps using the pitta bread, more of the left over roast refried in lots of garlic, cheese, lettuce, capsicum, tomato and greek yoghurt.  Again, all from the fridge.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2402 on: July 22, 2020, 10:35:30 PM »
Bacon wrapped chicken on a bed of kale, spinach, onions and peppers and some spicy sauce--done in 29 minutes!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2403 on: July 23, 2020, 08:48:42 AM »
Last night, Panzanella (bread salad) and broiled garlicky chicken thighs.

Tonight, spaghetti and meatballs with a salad.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2404 on: July 23, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »
Stir-fry with chicken, bok choy, onions, and napa cabbage, probably over rice. I haven't decided on the sauce type, but peanut sauce is sounding pretty good right now.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2405 on: July 23, 2020, 12:16:36 PM »
-Grilled hot dogs
-Kale salad
-Fruit salad

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2406 on: July 24, 2020, 06:29:26 AM »
Lots of fresh veg from the garden, so a stir fry of boneless chicken breast, cabbage, summer squash, onion, carrot, broccoli, string beans, served over Costco's cauliflower rice.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2407 on: July 24, 2020, 08:48:04 PM »
Last night, Panzanella (bread salad) and broiled garlicky chicken thighs.

Tonight, spaghetti and meatballs with a salad.

I love Panzanella, and would eat it at least once/week, but 1) the bread I really like for it is currently not available (and may never be again, alas) and 2) the other people in my house don't like it as much as I do.

Tonight, we had salmon cakes, green beans, and rice. Boring, but I managed to have enough leftover rice to make rice pudding with tomorrow, which will serve when one of the teenagers needs something semi-healthy to stuff in his maw. Perhaps I'll even get some!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2408 on: July 25, 2020, 09:08:28 PM »
We made Tuscan chickpea soup and had some leftover roasted brussels that survived a week in the freezer nicely. 

We're just back from a road trip where we ate out every night so it was nice to have a homecooked meal and, OMG, vegetables.  Small town restaurants/diners/etc. just do NOT have vegetables to speak of.  The best I saw on menus in the last couples towns was a taco salad, tri-tip salad and cobb salad.  I.e. everything had tons of meat and cheese and otherwise not much more than iceberg lettuce.  I can really feel the lack of greens over the last few days.

Tomorrow night is tofu stir-fry.  We need to make up for lost veggie-time.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2409 on: July 25, 2020, 09:56:12 PM »
I tried two new Budget Byte recipes tonight.

This one (with balsamic vinegar instead) was excellent : https://www.budgetbytes.com/super-fresh-cucmber-salad/

This was pretty decent : https://www.budgetbytes.com/beef-cabbage-stir-fry/

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2410 on: July 25, 2020, 11:23:35 PM »
Had a couple boiled eggs, an avocado and cheese. Had four apples so apple pie in the oven as we speak!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2411 on: July 26, 2020, 06:47:54 AM »

This one (with balsamic vinegar instead) was excellent : https://www.budgetbytes.com/super-fresh-cucmber-salad/

I thought the beef cabbage stir-fry tasted even better with shredded chicken. Last time I made it, I used rotisserie chicken meat.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2412 on: July 26, 2020, 03:46:52 PM »
Last night I made chicken enchiladas again (by request), so I had some leftover tortillas and avocado.  Tonight, I'm making myself a wrap sandwich with hummus, avocado, roasted zucchini and squash, with peppers and onions.  Kale chips on the side.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2413 on: July 26, 2020, 03:48:57 PM »
Falafel with a bag of chickpeas that... very old. Like, a year past "best by" date old. We had to soak twice as long, but it helped clear out one more item of the pantry! (Also making an appearance: pita, homemade tzatziki, tomatoes, cucumber slices, and cherries for dessert.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2414 on: July 27, 2020, 10:36:54 AM »

I thought the beef cabbage stir-fry tasted even better with shredded chicken. Last time I made it, I used rotisserie chicken meat.

If you can get red curry paste, this version:http://nwedible.com/thai-red-curry-cabbage-salad/  is quite good.  I add the cabbage at the end and cook it briefly (especially if I'm using regular green cabbage) and usually serve it over rice.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2415 on: July 27, 2020, 02:12:22 PM »
I've got a big pot of butternut squash chili in the crockpot.  It's not exactly chili weather, but what can ya do?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2416 on: July 27, 2020, 04:24:01 PM »
Carnitas with diced tomatoes & jalapenos from the garden. I'd go all in with a pico de gallo, but don't want to go to the store for cilantro, and cilantro was the one plant that failed to grow this year.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2417 on: July 27, 2020, 04:39:11 PM »
Tonight it'll  be Cheerios w/ sugar & strawberries and ice cream for dessert

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2418 on: July 27, 2020, 05:50:25 PM »
Avocado and cream cheese sandwich on toasted sourdough with Tom's Camp Mix sprinkled on it. 

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2419 on: July 27, 2020, 06:55:06 PM »
We had a couple of kale stems and a bunch of beet greens so we made pasta aglio e olio and tossed em all in. Delicious!

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2420 on: July 27, 2020, 10:59:31 PM »
Boiled some bowtie pasta then cut up some chicken from whole chicken i boiled last night in it along with some white spaghetti sauce, salt pepper parmesan and jalapeños on top

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2421 on: July 28, 2020, 06:26:14 AM »
Boiled some bowtie pasta then cut up some chicken from whole chicken i boiled last night in it along with some white spaghetti sauce, salt pepper parmesan and jalapeños on top

What is white spaghetti sauce? Like a cheesy alfredo type thing?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2422 on: July 28, 2020, 06:38:51 AM »
Last night: chicken pot pie from scratch. It's going to be too hot the rest of the week for using the oven.
Tonight: leftovers. It's Easy Button night.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2423 on: July 28, 2020, 07:33:01 AM »
We scrapped our dinner plans last night, as my husband forgot he'd purchased a rotisserie chicken & we needed to eat the remaining leftovers. We made a pretty passable version of a local restaurant's chicken salad specialty. It was a kale salad with peanuts, rotisserie chicken (heated with chicken, garlic, onions & butter) & a poppy seed dressing.

I also made a pico de gallo like topping (no cilantro, however) & it was delicious. I'll make more tonight to go with the carnitas. It uses up the tomatoes & jalapenos, so win/win.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2424 on: July 28, 2020, 11:13:15 AM »
I love this thread along with the "Use up everything in the house" thread. The combination is awesome.

Tonight: Thai "veggie" curry over leftover cappelini (that I used as noodles in spring rolls the other night). Will use leftover roasted green beans as well as the few scraps of chicken left from fajita night, plus any other "gotta be used" veggies in the fridge. I might try to whisk in some of hte peanut sauce from the spring rolls but might try a little in a separate bowl so if it's gross I don't taint the whole batch.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2425 on: July 28, 2020, 02:13:55 PM »
Ground beef, kale, and sweet potato skillet (https://gardeninthekitchen.com/ground-beef-kale-sweet-potato-skillet/).  Might adjust the seasonings some.  Will serve with a bunch of roasted broccoli, and maybe a piece of cornbread.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2426 on: July 28, 2020, 03:16:26 PM »
@SailingOnASmallSailboat - likewise, love these threads together!

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2427 on: July 28, 2020, 03:24:27 PM »
This summer vegetable medley from Serious Eats: eggplant, tomato, zucchini, green pepper and chickpea, cooked together and served over rice.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/08/chickpea-stew-with-eggplants-tomatoes-peppers-recipe.html

We had bacon and eggs last Friday, and I poured off and saved the bacon grease and used it to make savory cornbread. We'll have that with mixed berry compote and whipped cream for dessert.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2428 on: July 28, 2020, 04:58:28 PM »

Yep alfredo! Quite gross with a lingering aftertaste tbh but there's no way i'm going to not eat something i've purchased just because it's quite gross with a lingering aftertaste. I'll just wait the four hours till it's time to brush and use the eensy dollop of toothpaste to bring the world back to right..

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2429 on: July 28, 2020, 05:48:37 PM »

Yep alfredo! Quite gross with a lingering aftertaste tbh but there's no way i'm going to not eat something i've purchased just because it's quite gross with a lingering aftertaste. I'll just wait the four hours till it's time to brush and use the eensy dollop of toothpaste to bring the world back to right..

Um....yuck? I wouldn't eat something quite gross with a lingering aftertaste. Still, at least you have the everlasting toothpaste tube. You could just brush right away and remove lingering aftertaste, you know.......

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2430 on: July 28, 2020, 06:19:56 PM »
Jarred Alfredo sauce is gross, and it's probably more expensive (or at least not cheaper) than the homemade version. But one really would want a cheese grater for the homemade version.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2431 on: July 28, 2020, 06:21:40 PM »
I made Ottolenghi's turkey and zucchini burgers/meatballs and roasted broccoli and cauliflower.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2432 on: July 29, 2020, 12:43:02 AM »

Um....yuck? I wouldn't eat something quite gross with a lingering aftertaste. Still, at least you have the everlasting toothpaste tube. You could just brush right away and remove lingering aftertaste, you know.......

Seems like the wimp way out. Rather be tuff and rugged. As an aside I do believe those are actual names of Palins.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2433 on: July 29, 2020, 06:24:15 AM »
This may have been mentioned in here before, but the Maesri brand of Thai curry paste is spectacular. We've been muddling along with Thai Kitchen and just recently bought a sample pack of cans of the Maesri on Amazon. WOW. Made it last night - 1 can of paste to 1 can of coconut milk. Made the most delicious curry, with plenty for our lunch today (there are just 2 of us). So delicious I had to grab the can out of recycling to take a photo for friends. I dreamed about it last night.

Worth seeking out. Maesri brand. Just an FYI.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2434 on: July 29, 2020, 07:36:01 AM »
This may have been mentioned in here before, but the Maesri brand of Thai curry paste is spectacular. We've been muddling along with Thai Kitchen and just recently bought a sample pack of cans of the Maesri on Amazon. WOW. Made it last night - 1 can of paste to 1 can of coconut milk. Made the most delicious curry, with plenty for our lunch today (there are just 2 of us). So delicious I had to grab the can out of recycling to take a photo for friends. I dreamed about it last night.

Was it their red curry paste? I believe we've used that before and it's quite good.

In the past we've made both red and yellow curry paste from scratch, but found that the red is kind of a hassle and not any better/cheaper than what you can buy. On the other hand, yellow is great and easy to make a big batch and freeze in smaller portions. We've used this recipe with great results: https://pinchofyum.com/easy-homemade-yellow-curry-paste

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2435 on: July 29, 2020, 10:01:06 AM »
Tonight will be big salads, sort of a cross between cobb and nicoise. We have leftover chicken, green beans, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, and scallions to use up. Plus, this will use up a tomato and avocado.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2436 on: July 29, 2020, 10:39:23 AM »

Was it their red curry paste? I believe we've used that before and it's quite good.

In the past we've made both red and yellow curry paste from scratch, but found that the red is kind of a hassle and not any better/cheaper than what you can buy. On the other hand, yellow is great and easy to make a big batch and freeze in smaller portions. We've used this recipe with great results: https://pinchofyum.com/easy-homemade-yellow-curry-paste

It was actually the yellow (already packed the red and green from the sample pack) which I usually don't love. Thanks for the homemade recipe though! :)

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #2437 on: July 29, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »
Not for tonight (unless you count the leftovers) but yesterday I simmered for 4 hours a pork shoulder in five cups of red wine with spices, sliced onions, sliced red potatoes, some chopped celery, and baby carrots; served over rice using a generous pour of the natural gravy.  I might add some more mixed vegetables as a side (Normandy blend frozen) in a tomato paste and heavy cream sauce plus some cayenne pepper for kick, for some more variety tonight (30 mins max prep time) as the meal was delicious but lacking in complexity.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2438 on: July 29, 2020, 12:03:44 PM »
Apparently I am unknowingly following in @OtherJen 's footsteps -- I was planning to make a nicoise salad last night but the weather cooled off a bit and I made chili.  (Also, what did you think of the turkey and zuke patties?)

The salad will be this evening: boiled potatoes, eggs, and green beans (added to the pot in that order, with a timer on the eggs), fresh tomatoes, capers, anchovies, canned tuna. I just picked a bunch of basil from the garden that was thinking about starting to bolt, so it'll be a basil-y vinaigrette on top.  (I love that I can throw fresh herbs, stems and all, into a pyrex cup with some oil and vinegar and my stick blender will grind everything smooth.)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2439 on: July 29, 2020, 12:10:50 PM »
Apparently I am unknowingly following in @OtherJen 's footsteps -- I was planning to make a nicoise salad last night but the weather cooled off a bit and I made chili.  (Also, what did you think of the turkey and zuke patties?)

The salad will be this evening: boiled potatoes, eggs, and green beans (added to the pot in that order, with a timer on the eggs), fresh tomatoes, capers, anchovies, canned tuna. I just picked a bunch of basil from the garden that was thinking about starting to bolt, so it'll be a basil-y vinaigrette on top.  (I love that I can throw fresh herbs, stems and all, into a pyrex cup with some oil and vinegar and my stick blender will grind everything smooth.)

The turkey-zucchini patties were really tasty, although I added some quick oats to soak up some of the extra moisture. Next time I might try soaking the grated zucchini. I didn't have sumac on hand so I just left it out of the yogurt sauce. Still tasty.

Stick blenders are such great tools. We use ours all the time for sauces and dressings.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2440 on: July 29, 2020, 03:16:34 PM »
Tonight I'll have pancakes w/ butter & syrup.

dessert = fresh fruit salad.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2441 on: July 29, 2020, 05:19:32 PM »
Without a kitchen, so grateful for leftovers. We'll have the last of a rotisserie chicken salad &/or carnitas salads with a tomato/jalapeno/shallot relish.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2442 on: July 30, 2020, 09:44:51 AM »
Lubia polo (Persian dish of rice, ground beef, green beans & lots of flavor. Cinnamon! Saffron!) It's delicious

Ooh, this sounds good.  I'm always looking for ground beef recipes and getting lots of green beans out of the garden right now.  Is there a particular recipe you like? 

I did some impulse shopping when I stopped by the grocery store, so tonight I'm grilling a nice ribeye that was marked down.  We'll split that and have it with grilled summer squash, sauteed mushrooms, and a bleu cheese wedge salad.

Tomorrow I'm off work and planning to smoke a rack of ribs and on the side we'll have braised homegrown collards and some other type of side dish (maybe maybe biscuits?)

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2443 on: July 30, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »
grilled chicken tacos with shredded garden greens and a peach-corn salsa.  homemade black beans on the side.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2444 on: July 30, 2020, 11:01:07 AM »
@horsepoor - I like the recipe on My Persian Kitchen (I don't think we are supposed to include links, but a quick search there should turn it up). I use ground beef, which is the way my husband's family has always made it.

I think tonight will be cauliflower crust pizza

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2445 on: July 30, 2020, 11:26:40 AM »
Broccoli and tofu stir-fry with peanut sauce. Probably over rice.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2446 on: July 30, 2020, 12:28:04 PM »
Our neighbor went out fishing this morning, and we got a gift of a huge beautiful salmon fillet!  Ironically, we had some store-bought salmon already, but that's going in the freezer and it's fresh out of the ocean salmon tonight!  Along with wok'd bok choy.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2447 on: July 30, 2020, 01:28:10 PM »
Last night tried the Aldi "Red Bag Chicken" breaded chicken breasts.  It was OK, but not life changing. 

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2448 on: July 30, 2020, 02:15:11 PM »

<snerk> us too -- we have broccoli to use up, and I just found a bottle of Thai Peanut Sauce lurking in the pantry.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2449 on: July 30, 2020, 02:58:18 PM »

<snerk> us too -- we have broccoli to use up, and I just found a bottle of Thai Peanut Sauce lurking in the pantry.

It's like a freaky Jen mind-meld this week.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!