Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 951428 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2150 on: June 08, 2020, 04:56:27 PM »
I had a lot of work and a long Zoom meeting today, so we're having eggs, bacon, roasted potatoes, and green salad. I'll get back to fancier cooking tomorrow.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2151 on: June 08, 2020, 09:36:29 PM »
I made this: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021131-crispy-sour-cream-and-onion-chicken with crushed up pork rinds instead of panko.  I didn't have chives and onion powder, but I did have garlic powder and green onions.  Also added dill, tarragon and marjoram to the sour cream and cooked in the air fryer.  Will probably make this again, keeping in mind that I need more pork rinds to get a better coating over all the pieces.  On the side, roasted broccoli and sauteed onions and mushrooms, which I stirred some of the herbed sour cream into at the end.

Tomorrow is looking like fish and garlic scape stirfry, maybe with tofu that needs to be used up.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2152 on: June 08, 2020, 10:56:15 PM »
Today was Taco Tuesday. Tomorrow will be too. Possibly even the next day. I have a lot of tomatoes to use up.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2153 on: June 09, 2020, 08:02:12 AM »
Yesterday we had steamed artichokes with a garlic/parsley aioli & beef kebabs with rice.

Today is eggroll in a bowl with sauteed green beans.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2154 on: June 09, 2020, 11:32:20 AM »
Taco Tuesday for the win.  Do you think I can get away with putting the canned milk into the gallon milk container without the kids noticing?  I probably could go a couple more days without the grocery store if they cannot tell a difference.....

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2155 on: June 09, 2020, 08:20:28 PM »
Today was Taco Tuesday. Tomorrow will be too. Possibly even the next day. I have a lot of tomatoes to use up.

This is hysterical. Have you considered salads?

I cobbled together a dish of cooked soba, fried tofu, snap peas and various other veggies, and a sauce made of .. mostly stuff from various jars in the fridge door. Which now contains some empty space, phew!  Also quick-pickled turnips.

BNgarden

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2156 on: June 09, 2020, 08:35:43 PM »
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020754-spicy-white-bean-stew-with-broccoli-rabe

BIL got us a subscription for a year; recipes are good.  This one is behind a paywall.  Basically, a harissa flavoured, whatever veg is in the fridge, stew, with butter beans (or similar).  Dress it up with a fried egg, feta, cilantro or parsley and slivers of preserved lemon.  Yummy!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2157 on: June 10, 2020, 12:50:09 AM »

This is hysterical. Have you considered salads?

I cobbled together a dish of cooked soba, fried tofu, snap peas and various other veggies, and a sauce made of .. mostly stuff from various jars in the fridge door. Which now contains some empty space, phew!  Also quick-pickled turnips.
Duh. That's the green and red bits in the tacos. I make a mix of shredded cabbage, lettuce, cilantro, jalapeno, and lime juice and use it to top all possible taco variations. Tonight was Taco Bowls, for the win.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2158 on: June 10, 2020, 05:17:17 AM »
I think tonight is going to be quinoa bowls with a Tex-Mex twist.  Corn, tomatoes, black beans, etc. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2159 on: June 10, 2020, 05:29:57 AM »
Turkey burgers with Greek seasoning (fresh oregano, tomato, feta, dill) and tzatziki, and spinach salad the side. Hopefully we can grill outside because it’s hot and disgustingly humid, but the National Weather Service just bumped our severe weather risk from “enhanced” to “moderate” (second-highest category) for this evening. Fortunately, we can light the stove burners even if the power gets knocked out.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2160 on: June 10, 2020, 06:12:15 AM »
Chicken tzatziki tostadas.....ala eMeals.  However I'm fairly certain at least two of my kids will have theirs in the deconstructed separated items on a plate fashion. (The 19 year old and the 14 year old lest you think of them as picky toddler eaters!) We are subbing romaine lettuce for spinach because I don't want to go to the store.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2161 on: June 10, 2020, 09:12:01 AM »
Grilled beef, grilled eggplant, roasted sweet potatoes (and probably a few yukon golds, too), roasted brussels sprouts.

Two days from now, imitation bun, with the leftover beef thinly sliced.
(Oh, poop -- I forgot and used all the pickled turnips yesterday. Someone may actually need to go purchase a daikon, which might be OK, because we need other stuff from the asian market, too.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2162 on: June 10, 2020, 09:27:31 AM »
We are using everything up before heading out of town on Friday. Today will be kebabs & rice, with tzatziki sauce, featuring mint from our garden. Maybe with sauteed green beans again. Not sure what's left. If not, potentially corn.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2163 on: June 10, 2020, 10:52:42 AM »
Lamb chops on the grill, maybe with couscous on the side. Debating whether to make pita bread.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2164 on: June 10, 2020, 03:31:56 PM »
Chinese stir-fried vermicelli & eggplant w/tofu

..trying out a few new recipes

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2165 on: June 10, 2020, 09:28:03 PM »
Random acts of cooking tonight - I diced up some tofu that was past its use by date, but smelled and looked fine.  Pan fried it with some soy sauce and chile paste, and the added ginger and a bag of garlic scapes from the garden.  Dish #2 was coconut Massaman curry with bell pepper, cashews and mahi mahi.  I had my heart set on green curry, and saw a green can of curry in the cupboard, but alas, it was not green curry.  I need to get to the Asian market and restock.  I just like Panang and green best, and need to stick to those.  Anyway.  Under all that, we had some basic cauliflower rice.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2166 on: June 11, 2020, 07:33:40 AM »
@horsepoor - for sure using "random acts of cooking" in the future.

It's clean up the fridge night at our house, as we're heading out really early tomorrow for a long drive to our vacation house. We'll bring a cooler, but prefer to use up or freeze as much as possible.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #2167 on: June 11, 2020, 08:00:53 AM »
Made lemon-mayo-Parmesan whiting with roasted zucchini, green beans almondine, and rice. Decent and used up a bunch of stuff in the fridge.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2168 on: June 11, 2020, 09:10:15 AM »
I've been smoking a bone-in pork shoulder since 9:30AM, hopefully will be done by 5.
Made a vinegar coleslaw that's marinating/mellowing in the fridge for the rest of the day.
Will have the above with baked beans and wheat buns (store bought).
Maybe I'll make some cast iron cornbread to go with everything.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2169 on: June 11, 2020, 09:28:37 AM »
I have a Zoom meeting at 7 pm. I think husband is planning to make fried rice with rotisserie chicken and whatever vegetables are in surplus in the fridge.

Tomorrow, I might try a jackfruit recipe, pulled pork style. Husband recently ate a sandwich with jackfruit "meat" and was weirded out by how good it was, so I bought a quarter fruit to try it.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2170 on: June 11, 2020, 03:24:33 PM »
I have a Zoom meeting at 7 pm. I think husband is planning to make fried rice with rotisserie chicken and whatever vegetables are in surplus in the fridge.

Tomorrow, I might try a jackfruit recipe, pulled pork style. Husband recently ate a sandwich with jackfruit "meat" and was weirded out by how good it was, so I bought a quarter fruit to try it.

I love jackfruit in a curry... never prepared myself but had it in Asia multiple times.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2171 on: June 11, 2020, 05:00:44 PM »
No idea yet, and it has to be done early, because I have a real-life meeting tonight! I just popped in here in search of a little inspiration...

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2172 on: June 11, 2020, 05:16:32 PM »
Tonight we'll cook a simple casserole.

Extra sharp cheddar + tomatoes + tomato sauce + seashell pasta + Italian-style bread crumbs.

Dessert will be peach pie.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2173 on: June 11, 2020, 08:05:51 PM »
Chinese stir-fried vermicelli & eggplant w/tofu

..trying out a few new recipes

Changed plans last night and make comfort food as my SO was having a stressful day..and loves bacon.
(subbed bacon for pancetta)

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/cannellini-beans-with-pancetta-spinach

Tonight made the stir-fry and eggplant.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2174 on: June 12, 2020, 05:22:15 AM »

I love jackfruit in a curry... never prepared myself but had it in Asia multiple times.

I’m going to try this technique, although I will probably change the seasonings a bit (especially as I don’t have vegetable broth): https://tasty.co/recipe/vegan-pulled-pork-sandwiches?fbclid=IwAR1C4vXqwhHNBqpWJwaf_RElexZx_yDWMg1PKrrEQY9ovqPXDAQsARgWI_g

Our local produce market sells already cut pieces of jackfruit, which is great because it removes the hassle of cutting open a huge fruit and also reduces the potential amount of ruined food in case this doesn’t work.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2175 on: June 12, 2020, 08:51:16 AM »
Really nice weather today, so I think we'll make pudgy pies outside over the fire. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2176 on: June 12, 2020, 10:56:02 AM »
Really nice weather today, so I think we'll make pudgy pies outside over the fire.

Oh funny, I've never heard of this term and had to look it. Delicious!

Raining endlessly here so will be making some type of warming meal--perhaps a broccoli stir-fry with black bean sauce.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 10:57:40 AM by Serendip »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2177 on: June 12, 2020, 01:09:36 PM »
Also warm (almost hot) here today: we're having pasta salad, where the base of the "salad" part is roasted cauliflower, but it will also include some or all of the following: olives, roasted red pepper strips, marinated artichoke hearts, thinly sliced celery, thinly sliced fresh red peppers, and either a parsley- or pesto-based vinaigrette. Also tiny salami cubes and cubed provolone.

Tomorrow: Bahn Mi, with the other steak of the two I grilled two days ago. (Or yesterday: shit, I've already lost track.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2178 on: June 13, 2020, 01:37:35 PM »
A storm rolled in overnight and we dropped from high 80's to mid-50's in about 12 hours.  So today I'm cleaning out the produce drawer making a big pot of turkey soup.  I might add some Basque chorizo to it as well.  On the side, masa cornbread, trying thinned out yogurt in place of buttermilk.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2179 on: June 13, 2020, 02:13:02 PM »
I came here seeking inspiration on Thursday and ended up making Pasta with Pesto and a salad. Yesterday was hamburgers (fancy veggie burger for me) with homemade buns, oven-baked fries, and a salad, which we didn't touch. Tonight will be a mashup of the last two days. Leftover pasta with pesto, yesterday's salad, and I'll make garlic bread with the leftover burger buns. Love it when a no-plan comes together!

Here's the bun recipe for anyone trying to use up flour and yeast, or just avoiding a trip to the store. I always cut the recipe in half. I'm also lazy and let my mixer do the kneading, which makes the recipe even easier. Tip: make sure to press the dough balls out pretty flat before the second rise for best results.

https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/make-fluffy-homemade-hamburger-buns/

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2180 on: June 13, 2020, 03:37:18 PM »
We made cacio e pepe last night - hadn't made it in more than a year, I think!  And why not?  It's so easy, it's exactly what I needed...I mean except for the workout my arms get from finely grating a few cups of cheese (pecorino-romano and parmesan) and a whole tablespoon of pepper.  But that's basically it other than boiling the water.

Tonight = pizza.  The grocery store was strangely out of shallots (there always have to be *something* they're out of nowadays, right?) so our normal shallot, fig and goat cheese pizza will be a little less perky, but I might still have some onion around that I could grill/saute a bit and substitute. or maybe I should go a totally different way and sprinkle some balsamic vinegar or something like that.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2181 on: June 14, 2020, 08:52:12 AM »
We finally got around to eating the jackfruit “meat” yesterday, on fresh corn tortillas with avocado and shredded cabbage. It was very good, but I am never again prepping jackfruit on a weekday. Too much hassle.

Tonight, we’re planning grilled Italian sausages with onions and peppers (grilled in foil packets). I haven’t decided whether those will be served with potatoes (possibly sliced and grilled in foil packets) or pasta.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2182 on: June 14, 2020, 03:22:40 PM »
Ground Turkey and Broccoli Pasta (https://ifoodreal.com/ground-turkey-and-broccoli-pasta/).  I didn't do much planning for my last grocery shop, just bought some of the usual veggies and some of the meats that were on sale.  I ended up with with this dish (after searching for something that wasn't burgers or chili), bonus that it also used up half a box of bowtie pasta left in the pantry.  Served with spinach salad.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2183 on: June 14, 2020, 08:44:27 PM »
The smitten kitchen  lentil, potato, and cornichon salad, made un-vegetarian with the addition of some chicken andouille. Green salad (I can't pick our lettuce fast enough right now), and some socca, because it didn't look like we'd have enough to eat.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2184 on: June 14, 2020, 09:24:36 PM »
The smitten kitchen  lentil, potato, and cornichon salad, made un-vegetarian with the addition of some chicken andouille. Green salad (I can't pick our lettuce fast enough right now), and some socca, because it didn't look like we'd have enough to eat.

This salad? https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/01/warm-lentil-and-potato-salad/

That looks great, and I was looking for a lentil dish for tomorrow’s dinner. I think we have (or can easily substitute) everything but the capers.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2185 on: June 15, 2020, 07:44:04 AM »
It's my husband's birthday, and we're seeing my parents for the first time in 4+ months. (They are picking up our kids & taking them to "grandparent camp" for two weeks while we work.) We are having: crab cakes with red pepper aioli, steak, peach/mozzarella/basil salad, & a cake my mom is bringing for dessert.

If you have an abundance of peaches/nectarines or basil, this salad is fantastic. https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/peach-mozzarella-basil-salad

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2186 on: June 15, 2020, 07:56:48 AM »

That looks great, and I was looking for a lentil dish for tomorrow’s dinner. I think we have (or can easily substitute) everything but the capers.

Yep. I find it needs more dressing (in general) and more olive oil, specifically. If possible, use something tasty.

I keep bottles of capers, cornichons (my kids eat them on PB sandwiches, the weirdos), olives, marinated red peppers and artichokes hiding in the pantry for salads like this one: you can substitute anything briny or spicy for the capers. It's just to have a burst of something that's not heavy like the potatoes and lentils. (herbs would work, too. Or,  i dunno, feta?)

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #2187 on: June 15, 2020, 08:01:43 AM »
A salad made with napa cabbage, carrots, snow peas, toasted almonds, green onions, dressing from yum yum sauce, white vinegar and soy sauce.

Also made a thai noodle dish with spaghetti, leftover turkey, red peppers, green onions with a sauce of 1/4 cup peanut butter, 3 T hoison, 2T garlic, 2T soy sauce and 1 T lime juice. Also put a splash of fish sauce in there too.

Yummy and people went back for seconds.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2188 on: June 15, 2020, 06:43:06 PM »
Pasta w/marinara sauce, italian sausage, parm, fresh basil.
 Also some red wine :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2189 on: June 15, 2020, 07:58:53 PM »
We are having egg roll in a bowl, and I need to find a way to use up the parsley that's taken over the garden. I'm probably going to make a big batch of parsley pesto & stick it in the freezer.

Our mint got knocked over yesterday, when we had a tree trimming service over, so we'll be "forced" to use it up today. I'm thinking mojitos. It will be hard, but waste not, want not. I'll also likely dry the rest.
What does parsley taste like to you?

To me it tastes like grass clippings and I can’t fathom why anyone would put it in their food. Which makes me wonder if it is like cilantro, where it tastes different to some people.

@ysette9 - well, I don't often eat grass clippings .. ;-) I think it tastes a bit peppery. In the pesto, it's combined with lemon, garlic, & pepper & it has a tangy savory taste that is quite good. I also don't love it raw & wouldn't just pile it on my food.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2190 on: June 15, 2020, 09:04:08 PM »
Roasted a chicken tonight along with carrots, little blue potatoes and golden beets, all seasoned with Urfa chile and cumin.  Braised collards from the garden on the side.

Tomorrow I think I'm cooking up ham and cheese spaghetti squash boats, probably with some olives since there's an open can in the fridge.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2191 on: June 15, 2020, 09:06:15 PM »
We are having egg roll in a bowl, and I need to find a way to use up the parsley that's taken over the garden. I'm probably going to make a big batch of parsley pesto & stick it in the freezer.

Our mint got knocked over yesterday, when we had a tree trimming service over, so we'll be "forced" to use it up today. I'm thinking mojitos. It will be hard, but waste not, want not. I'll also likely dry the rest.
What does parsley taste like to you?

To me it tastes like grass clippings and I can’t fathom why anyone would put it in their food. Which makes me wonder if it is like cilantro, where it tastes different to some people.

@ysette9 - well, I don't often eat grass clippings .. ;-) I think it tastes a bit peppery. In the pesto, it's combined with lemon, garlic, & pepper & it has a tangy savory taste that is quite good. I also don't love it raw & wouldn't just pile it on my food.
Okay, okay, it tastes just like my grass clippings smell. :) I should ask my baby; he tries to eat grass clippings at every opportunity.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2192 on: June 15, 2020, 09:15:32 PM »

Yep. I find it needs more dressing (in general) and more olive oil, specifically. If possible, use something tasty.

I keep bottles of capers, cornichons (my kids eat them on PB sandwiches, the weirdos), olives, marinated red peppers and artichokes hiding in the pantry for salads like this one: you can substitute anything briny or spicy for the capers. It's just to have a burst of something that's not heavy like the potatoes and lentils. (herbs would work, too. Or,  i dunno, feta?)

We always have feta and olives. I ended up making beans and rice, but this is going on the list for later this week.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2193 on: June 16, 2020, 08:43:00 AM »
We have tons of leftovers, so likely crab cakes with red pepper aioli and steak salad

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2194 on: June 16, 2020, 12:18:42 PM »
We're getting to the end of the shopping cycle (i.e. I'm going to the store tomorrow or Thursday) and my BIL called last night offering to bring over chicken skewers to grill this evening. So we'll have them with a giant green salad (still picking the lettuce as quickly as possible) and steamed artichokes and a couscous salad with a lime-curry vinaigrette and various vegetables (pickled onions, edamame, red pepper slivers and fresh mint). I'll probably make a batch of brownies (and then hide them in the freezer so I get to eat a few before the 16-YO devours every single last one).

Tomorrow: Fresh pasta with pesto (found a contain in the fridge) and green beans (from frozen). Likely another salad.

Then we start the entire cycle again... I'm staring down a list of 10 dinners and trying to get every single component and not leave out important ingredients. NB: thai chilis are not a good substitute for jalapinos, should you decide to make bahn mi from scratch (ow ow ow!!!)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2195 on: June 16, 2020, 12:54:40 PM »
Cauliflower bake w/ leeks & greens : a new recipe to try out

(from Amy Chaplin's cookbook 'Whole Food Cooking Everyday')

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2196 on: June 16, 2020, 04:34:21 PM »
Korean Beef Bowls (https://damndelicious.net/2013/07/07/korean-beef-bowl/).  Usually I serve with rice, but tonight I'm going to throw the seasoned beef over a big green salad.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2197 on: June 17, 2020, 07:24:28 AM »
We're harvesting cabbage from our garden right now, so I'm going to give this vegan cabbage, potato, and chick pea recipe a try.
The cashew gravy sounds good.   

https://www.thecuriouschickpea.com/vegan-cabbage-potato-and-chickpea-sheet-pan-dinner/

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2198 on: June 17, 2020, 10:48:08 AM »
Salmon & rice + salad

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2199 on: June 17, 2020, 11:58:40 AM »
BBQ glazed crispy tofu with oven fries. YUM. Plus some produce, either a salad or roasted veg or some fruit.