Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 951401 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1400 on: November 21, 2019, 12:36:38 AM »
Eating alone tonight, so I will eat leftover dinner from yesterday.
That was Thai carrot/sweet potato soup with coconut milk (from budget bites). I'll have some leftover bread with it, and maybe I'll throw in an egg, as we have not been eating meat for several days and I need some vital amino acids.

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #1401 on: November 22, 2019, 11:24:25 AM »
It's rainy and the temp is dropping, so I'm planning to make this for the first time https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/01/cozy-cabbage-and-farro-soup/, subbing pearl barley for the farro and using regular cabbage. I like cabbage soups and I like barley, so I expect to like the soup very much.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1402 on: November 22, 2019, 04:59:08 PM »
We're having leftover lasagna & salad.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1403 on: November 22, 2019, 05:08:10 PM »
Husband had the day off, so he’s grilling steaks bought on sale and serving them with pan-fried potatoes and Brussels sprouts sautéed in a bit of bacon grease. He’s an excellent cook, so we’re getting a steakhouse dinner for about $8 total (for both of us).

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1404 on: November 22, 2019, 05:36:33 PM »
Pizza Friday!  This week's has tomato sauce mixed with a roasted red pepper spread I made and canned last summer, which we're trying to use up.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1405 on: November 22, 2019, 06:04:04 PM »
Shortly we'll be eating baked chicken with rice and carrots.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1406 on: November 22, 2019, 06:16:47 PM »
It's rainy and the temp is dropping, so I'm planning to make this for the first time https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/01/cozy-cabbage-and-farro-soup/, subbing pearl barley for the farro and using regular cabbage. I like cabbage soups and I like barley, so I expect to like the soup very much.

Oh, love the looks of this!  I'm gonna try it next week for my lunches.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1407 on: November 23, 2019, 05:53:16 AM »

+1.  I've never had cabbage soup.  Looks like I'm missing out

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1408 on: November 23, 2019, 08:17:08 PM »
Cauliflower crust pepperoni pizza (adults) with naan pepperoni pizza (kids)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1409 on: November 24, 2019, 07:00:53 AM »
Catfish in the oven with green herbs. And a side dish with green lettuce from the fridge or cabbage from the freezer, depending on whether the salad is still okay.
And something potatoish.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1410 on: November 24, 2019, 09:31:59 PM »
This is a really good veg recipe! It's a couscous with roasted tomatoes and chickpeas, plus herbs and feta and parmesan, etc. So good for fall. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019916-pearl-couscous-with-creamy-feta-and-chickpeas

We got to make this with more of our own tomato harvest.  I posted a couple of weeks ago about making a pasta with the last of our tomatoes, but I was wrong!  We keep getting more from the tomato bush that has grape-sized Vernissage tomatoes...maybe we'll even be able to make this recipe one more time with the tomatoes we still see on the vine!

We have a handful of some type of larger beefsteak tomatoes still popping up, too, but they are very green and I'm skeptical they will ever ripen.  If not, I guess fried green tomatoes will be on the menu.  Any other suggestions for tomatoes that never ripen?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1411 on: November 24, 2019, 11:24:53 PM »
Tonight was Taco Sunday. Yummy, as always.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1412 on: November 25, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »
Last night was spicy turkey/kale/chorizo soup.

Tonight I'm roasting a chicken with beets, and creamed spinach on the side.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1413 on: November 25, 2019, 03:59:55 PM »

+1.  I've never had cabbage soup.  Looks like I'm missing out

This recipe is a keeper! Super easy and good flavor (I did oregano for an herb instead of rosemary or thyme). Loved the texture/weight from the farro.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1414 on: November 29, 2019, 04:37:04 PM »
Half the family either has a cold or is getting it, so tonight will be turkey soup. So far it has onions, carrots, the meat I picked off the carcass (the big pieces went into the freezer yesterday) and turkey stock. Will probably get potatoes, cut up asparagus, possibly green beans, maybe some corn I froze last summer, then we'll see...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1415 on: November 29, 2019, 05:10:15 PM »
Half the family either has a cold or is getting it, so tonight will be turkey soup. So far it has onions, carrots, the meat I picked off the carcass (the big pieces went into the freezer yesterday) and turkey stock. Will probably get potatoes, cut up asparagus, possibly green beans, maybe some corn I froze last summer, then we'll see...

Seconded. We aren't sick (yet), but I think I'm still in recovery from carb overload. The leftover pie for breakfast and stuffing for lunch today didn't help.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1416 on: November 29, 2019, 05:55:56 PM »
I made a big appetizer tray while the kids studied (bread, cheese, salami, nuts, veggies, & cranberry chutney). It was delicious & is holding everyone off nicely while I make curry butternut squash soup. I can't find my original recipe, so I'm hacking together a few web recipes & hoping for the best.

We'll have leftover pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting that my 12 y.o. made for Thanksgiving. It was fantastic.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1417 on: November 30, 2019, 12:12:47 AM »
I will prepare a trout, caught by DH this autumn. And some green plants I picked this spring. And maybe some mashed potato and normal vegetable with it.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1418 on: November 30, 2019, 02:16:12 AM »
It's burrito night.  Always a pleaser. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1419 on: November 30, 2019, 11:01:44 AM »
Since I do all the cooking in the house I thought it would be fun to see what people are making and share as much info as you like...

For tonight -

Frozen Chicken Drumsticks and 1 bottle of Barbeque Sauce in Slow Cooker for 4hrs on High. I make this often the kids love it and its brainless to cook. Drumsticks frozen where on sale for .49Cents a lb so I got two packs (about 20 Drumsticks) for about $3.10 cents plus the Barbeque Sauce was the store brand under a $1.50 so I will call it that.

1 Box of Cheesy Broccoli rice a roni .99

Made a Pasta Salad - 1 crown of Broccoli, 1 bottle of peppercorn ranch, 1 box of tri-color pasta, 1 can black olives, 1/3 block of cheddar cubed cheese, 3 green onions, 6 cherry tomatos cut in half, 1/3 of a cucumber- all in on a high note $550 but will get two days out of it at least. ( just make the pasta, add all the ingredients and a bottle of peppercorn ranch and your done)

Half a large bag of Store brand Frozen Green Beans $.50

So all in-

Chicken- $4.60 will be good for Dinner tonight and leftover for lunch
Rice A Roni. .99 Plus call it 25 cents for Butter so 1.25 Total
Pasta Salad- Again for Dinner tonight and leftovers for Lunch and then some tomorrow $550
Green Beans- $.50

Total- 2 meals- $11.85 For four people per

All will be happy as well tonight!
@soccerluvof4 do you defrost the legs before throwing them in the crockpot or not?  Thank you

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1420 on: November 30, 2019, 12:57:51 PM »
This is possibly my fave recipe: chicken with artichoke lemon and hearts of palm in the instant pot. https://www.wholesomelicious.com/slow-cooker-lemon-artichoke-chicken/

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #1421 on: November 30, 2019, 02:13:51 PM »
Sitka blacktail venison eye of round roast with an olive-oil herb rub, cooked rare; mushrooms with sour cream, sherry, and tarragon; bachelor salad. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1422 on: November 30, 2019, 02:15:38 PM »
@fredbear - what is bachelor salad? Intrigued.

We're having Thanksgiving leftovers. I'll also prep a bolognese sauce to have on hand for meals during the week. I usually cook over the weekends for weeknight meals, so don't want to fall behind.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1423 on: November 30, 2019, 05:44:40 PM »
Leftover orange and green vegetable sides from Thanksgiving (roasted butternut squash and Brussels sprouts, respectively), cranberry relish, and bacon. I needed a break from the carb-bomb leftovers. Leftover apple pie for breakfast wasn't the best idea.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #1424 on: November 30, 2019, 07:27:37 PM »
...what is bachelor salad? ...

Always liked meat - locating, stalking, shooting, prepping, cooking, bedding lovers on or under the hides - the whole meat experience.  Like the concomitants: gravy with pomegranate accents, wine sauces, huge pasties with whole mushrooms and caramelized onions with the crust brushed with egg batter, sopping hickory or applewood or mesquite or mountain mahogany chips in the smoker.  Meat!

Could never get very enthusiastic about my daily greens allotment - chopping, tossing, tarting it up with berries or unskinned kiwi.  It's basement-level food-chain and no fun to cook.  God - who most resembles a peregrine falcon with a sense of humor (I think, but I could be persuaded that he bears a resemblance to a river otter) - took pity on me and invented those bags of salad that fill whole walls of the produce department.  You just reduce one to possession, take it home, flick open the gravity knife, slit the bag, dump it into a bowl and thence into your mouth, and you've eaten your daily pound of greenery.

Perfect for bachelors.  Intelligently DESIGNED for bachelors.  Hence name. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1425 on: November 30, 2019, 08:30:43 PM »
Made a cheesy broccoli casserole with lots of leftover smoked turkey mixed in, as well as some olives and sundried tomatoes (though neither was very noticeable in the final dish)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1426 on: November 30, 2019, 08:34:17 PM »
@fredbear - not a bachelor, but will admit that I've tried to give up those bagged salads for convenience, & still often fall prey to their siren song.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1427 on: December 02, 2019, 03:48:14 AM »
Since I do all the cooking in the house I thought it would be fun to see what people are making and share as much info as you like...

For tonight -

Frozen Chicken Drumsticks and 1 bottle of Barbeque Sauce in Slow Cooker for 4hrs on High. I make this often the kids love it and its brainless to cook. Drumsticks frozen where on sale for .49Cents a lb so I got two packs (about 20 Drumsticks) for about $3.10 cents plus the Barbeque Sauce was the store brand under a $1.50 so I will call it that.

Made a Pasta Salad - 1 crown of Broccoli, 1 bottle of peppercorn ranch, 1 box of tri-color pasta, 1 can black olives, 1/3 block of cheddar cubed cheese, 3 green onions, 6 cherry tomatos cut in half, 1/3 of a cucumber- all in on a high note $550 but will get two days out of it at least. ( just make the pasta, add all the ingredients and a bottle of peppercorn ranch and your done)

So all in-

Pasta Salad- Again for Dinner tonight and leftovers for Lunch and then some tomorrow $550
Green Beans- $.50

@soccerluvof4 do you defrost the legs before throwing them in the crockpot or not?  Thank you

@Gin1984  usually i do frozen but have done thawed as well. If you run them under cool water a bit they will break apart.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1428 on: December 02, 2019, 04:51:06 AM »
Busy night tonight with kids' activities, so I'm going to give this a try -- Quick and Easy Garlic Noodles With Beef and Broccoli, from Budget Bytes:  https://www.budgetbytes.com/garlic-noodles-with-beef-and-broccoli/

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1429 on: December 02, 2019, 05:37:18 AM »
Last night I made turkey soup. Cooked my turkey bones and scraps for about 24 hours in the CP. Then cooled the broth, scraped off the grease on top. Did this a few days in advance. Assembled the soup last night and it was so good! Save your bones and make your home made broth! It is fabulous!

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1430 on: December 02, 2019, 06:15:55 AM »
Putting multiple nights worth because I keep forgetting to update and don't feel like tracking down the meal planning thread:

Last week:
French toast casserole + bacon
Eggroll in a bowl
Roast vegetable baked ziti
Chicken noodle soup (need celery, egg noodles)

This week:
Home made pizza
Sweet and sour chicken
Split pea soup
Spaghetti and meatballs
Balsamic chicken with roasted vegetables

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1431 on: December 02, 2019, 07:07:01 AM »
Last night I made turkey soup. Cooked my turkey bones and scraps for about 24 hours in the CP. Then cooled the broth, scraped off the grease on top. Did this a few days in advance. Assembled the soup last night and it was so good! Save your bones and make your home made broth! It is fabulous!

Yum! We froze our turkey bones and will do the same thing soon. Homemade broth is a beautiful thing.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1432 on: December 02, 2019, 07:24:55 AM »

For tonight -

So all in-

Green Beans- $.50

@Gin1984  usually i do frozen but have done thawed as well. If you run them under cool water a bit they will break apart.
Thanks

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1433 on: December 02, 2019, 10:09:39 AM »

Yum! We froze our turkey bones and will do the same thing soon. Homemade broth is a beautiful thing.

Bones are fantastic!

What makes this turkey soup so great too is that I got an almost 15 lb. turkey for $5.50. Got it on sale for $0.39 a LB! It is just the two of us and we got so many meals and then the turkey soup! That turkey was stretched a mile! Had another bowl of soup for breakfast and there is still more. Tonight will be a turkey free meal before we start going Gobble, Gobble!

I also made my stuffing in the crock pot this year. I like it kind of moist and normally stuff the turkey. This stuffing came out almost identical to my stuffed turkey. I added some applesauce and chicken broth, mushrooms, celery, onions, spicy breakfast sausage. To me, without sausage, it is not stuffing. Also, some Bell's seasoning. If you like moist stuffing the crockpot is great. If you l like it a bit crispy, this is not the method to use.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1434 on: December 04, 2019, 07:42:06 PM »
Work Crunch, Time Crunch, and we had to be at an awards ceremony at 6. Made a frittata with whatever was in the fridge: onion, a big potato, some tired-looking mushrooms (fried all that stuff), then some chopped kale, 6 eggs and a little good cheddar. Yummy!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1435 on: December 04, 2019, 08:05:24 PM »
Homemade red sauce with beef and mushrooms, served over spaghetti squash. It's the first meal beyond scrambled eggs that I've cooked since Thanksgiving dinner (we've either eaten leftovers or husband's cooking). It's good to be back.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1436 on: December 05, 2019, 07:59:18 PM »
Turkey-vegetable soup. I'm going to be hammered with work for about another week, then things should chill out again.

Tomorrow: probably burgers, sweet potato wedges (using up the last of the Thanksgiving sweet potatoes) and cabbage. Or sauerkraut (I made it a month or two ago, and it's now hanging out in the fridge.). Or both.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1437 on: December 06, 2019, 08:00:45 AM »
Making a double batch of taco meat. Part of it will be tonight's dinner. The rest will go into the freezer to take on a ski trip in a few weeks.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1438 on: December 07, 2019, 01:58:32 PM »
Much, much work this weekend. Also, I have jury duty Monday (so potentially Tuesday and into next week). I usually work from home, so either things will need to be started in the AM, cooked by someone else, or make-able in 30-45 minutes in the evenings.
Also, evening activities for various people (mostly, but not limited to the 15-year old)

Tonight: Beef stew, mashed potatoes, roasted Savoy cabbage wedges. Perhaps there will be leftover stew. Leftovers will go into the fridge.
Tomorrow: We're going out to dinner (office party), but I'll make a pot of his favorite Smitten kitchen sausage, lentil, and kale soup. This will go in the fridge, so he can heat it up on his way through Monday afternoon.
Tomorrow: I'm probably going to also make a pot of chili, and/or a pot of spaghetti sauce. (most of these will go into the freezer in 1-quart containers.

We also have: salad veggies, brussels sprouts, green beans, cabbage, carrots. And frozen veggies, if the week gets away from us.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1439 on: December 07, 2019, 03:18:39 PM »
I made Crash Hot Potatoes today. https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/crash-hot-potatoes/

I put my taters in the crockpot and cooked them on high for about 3 hours. Once they were soft I followed the rest of the recipe.  They came out really good!

Will have it with steak and a veggie tonight. I will rewarm them in my air fryer.

I made these taters once before using the boil method and they came out great too.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1440 on: December 08, 2019, 02:25:59 PM »
Tonight it's salmon w/  delicious homemade coleslaw and strawberry shortcake for dessert.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1441 on: December 08, 2019, 06:08:32 PM »
Frozen pizza topped with mushrooms and pepperoni, and spinach salad. Too tired to cook a regular meal after back to back choir concerts this weekend.

I think tomorrow will be stuffed winter squash and baked salmon.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1442 on: December 08, 2019, 10:42:22 PM »
Chicken sausage and fermented spicy kraut.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1443 on: December 09, 2019, 07:13:02 AM »
Last night I made roasted tomatoes, tons of garlic, hot crushed pepper, Italian spices. Roasted for about 50 minutes then poured it over precooked spaghetti, fresh mozzarella and basil. OMG, to die for!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1444 on: December 09, 2019, 05:45:03 PM »
Okay, apparently I chose the wrong winter squash because it was moldy when I went to prep it.

Dinner will be baked salmon, roasted Brussels sprouts, and leftover brown rice sauteed with herbs and garlic.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1445 on: December 09, 2019, 08:19:11 PM »
Last night was turkey/chorizo meatloaf and braised collards.

Tonight, herbed roasted chicken and Tuscan butter mushrooms with extra spinach.

Tomorrow I'll make a pot of chili and we'll have that and salad for a couple nights.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1446 on: December 10, 2019, 08:23:26 PM »
Lentil vegetable soup with bread.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1447 on: December 11, 2019, 12:39:00 PM »
I just started preparing dinner.

It's manicotti w/ garlic bread.

Dessert = halved peaches with cinnamon.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1448 on: December 11, 2019, 01:51:56 PM »
Chicken teriyaki stir fry.  I was planning to put our home grown sugar snap peas in it, but the family (me included) snacked on them while I was doing the meal prep.  So yummy.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1449 on: December 11, 2019, 01:55:55 PM »
A brown rice casserole with chicken and vegetables.