Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950129 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #950 on: May 24, 2019, 09:19:04 AM »
I'm making pepperoni pizza for the kids. My husband will have chicken with sauteed spinach. I'll have salad with grilled chicken. We normally don't make three separate meals, but we are eating up leftovers & dealing with dietary issues.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #951 on: May 24, 2019, 09:39:41 AM »
Something fancier than normal for our anniversary. Husband suggested filet mignon on the charcoal grill, but we’ll see what looks good at the butcher shop.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #952 on: May 24, 2019, 11:43:30 AM »
Something fancier than normal for our anniversary. Husband suggested filet mignon on the charcoal grill, but we’ll see what looks good at the butcher shop.

Happy Anniversary!

We're having beef and broccoli stir-fry, with rice (or rice noodles, who knows).
Tomorrow we're having a dessert party for the neighborhood (a pair of our neighbors are leaving Monday to spend the summer biking across the US) and I'm thinking about how to accommodate a pair of vegans, at least one or two neighbors who are taking it easy on sugar this month, and at least one paleo eater. Fortunately we're looking at 18 or so people (some of whom will bring things), so I don't have to meet everyone's needs in a single dish, just to get organized enough to provide something for everyone. Also fortunately, berries are on sale this week...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #953 on: May 24, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »
@jeninco - if it's just dessert, I'd recommend perhaps anchoring around the berries. Get a bunch of nice fresh berries, ice cream, make/buy an angel food cake, and make whipping cream. People can add as much or as little as they want, sticking to just berries, or going all in with angel food cake, ice cream, etc.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #954 on: May 24, 2019, 03:51:48 PM »
@jeninco - if it's just dessert, I'd recommend perhaps anchoring around the berries. Get a bunch of nice fresh berries, ice cream, make/buy an angel food cake, and make whipping cream. People can add as much or as little as they want, sticking to just berries, or going all in with angel food cake, ice cream, etc.

Seconded. Since I usually can’t eat the cake, I would love the option to serve myself a big pile of berries and cream or play with a sundae bar. Non-dairy ice cream may be a nice option.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #955 on: May 24, 2019, 04:27:27 PM »
One of favorites...Build your own taco/Burrito night with just about anything you can think of !

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #956 on: May 24, 2019, 04:44:11 PM »
Either pesto pasta or a frozen pizza, depending on what husband decides he wants. He's building a rock wall the old fashioned way (digging them out of the ground and stacking them up), so he gets to decide  because he needs the calories . Either way, spinach salad with it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 05:08:04 PM by Rural »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #957 on: May 25, 2019, 12:52:11 AM »
DH caught a pretty big trout yesterday. We ate one side, with asparagus that the local shop sold cheaply and potatoes. I use found herbs one the fish and the potatoes.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #958 on: May 26, 2019, 08:13:10 AM »
DH caught a pretty big trout yesterday. We ate one side, with asparagus that the local shop sold cheaply and potatoes. I use found herbs one the fish and the potatoes.

I wish I liked fish!  Lots of salmon, trout, sturgeon, etc to be caught around here...

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #959 on: May 26, 2019, 08:18:30 AM »
I've been sick since I came home from an overseas vacation (over two weeks now), so dinners have been extremely simple, if I even make any (my son can fend for himself).

I'm at work today, so during the downtime I am going to make a batch of refried beans in the instant pot (one of the coworkers brought one in to leave here, so I don't have to lug my own around anymore). 

I'm also going to attempt my hand at some crispbread.  I brought some home as a souvenir (came back with a checked bag so I could buy lots of food stuffs).  The one I bought had only four ingredients-- "wholemeal" (rye), water, salt, and yeast.  I've found a lot of recipes that mix rye and wheat flours, but my son wants an all-rye duplicate.  Found one recipe.  We'll see how it goes!  I'm going to end up with some hard cracker-like flat bricks one of two types-- edible or non-edible.  I even have the deep-notch rolling pin to make it as "authentic" as possible.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #960 on: May 26, 2019, 10:18:49 AM »
My co-worker has started raising KuneKune Pigs on his hobby farm, and supplied us with a ~2.5# picnic roast so we can decide if we'd like to buy a half pig.  I'm thinking of cooking it sous vide with some herbs (maybe fresh rosemary and tarragon) and then giving it a quick sear on the grill.  Alongside, I'm thinking homegrown French breakfast radishes sauteed in butter, and braised collards with onions and some of the radish greens.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #961 on: May 26, 2019, 11:34:03 AM »
Grilled salmon. Probably with sides of stuck-pot rice+lentils and sauteed zucchini with orange bell pepper.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #962 on: May 26, 2019, 08:34:04 PM »
Chili with a combination of ground beef and leftover slow-cooked beef that I froze a few weeks ago with a lot of (very beefy) liquid. Anasazi beans, in an attempt to cut down on the flatulence around here (they're supposed to be less potent then pinto beans.) Salad, cheese, the last of the yummy corn tortillas.

My husband decided he was going to take grilled vegetable/provolone/tapenade sandwiches this week, so I sent him out to the grill with eggplants, yellow and zucchini squash, red peppers, and mushrooms to get that part taken care of.

The party last night: made vegan chocolate cake with not-exactly-buttercream frosting, (non-vegan) carrot cake, a phyllo-and-spring fruit pie that I adore (which was vegan), a big bowl of berries and whipped cream, and someone else brought coconut cream (I asked him to) and a vegan coconut-chocolate mousse pie, which was fantastic. Someone else brought ice cream. The idea was very popular, but we actually had too much leftovers.  And the wacky-cake-based chocolate cake was really too sweet, as was the frosting.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #963 on: May 26, 2019, 09:39:29 PM »
Pasta with asparagus and oven-dried tomatoes: https://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/05/bow-tie-pasta-with-oven-dried-tomatoes/

It was fine, but not worth taking 3.5 hours to slow-roast tomatoes. On the other hand, it used up a bunch of asparagus I had hanging around. I'm trying to use up things in the fridge--I'm leaving on vacation in a couple of weeks.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #964 on: May 26, 2019, 11:56:39 PM »
Yesterday hamburgers with fried mushrooms, pepper and spring onion. Served on a slice of bread. We drove home from our cabin for 5 hours. DH wanted to buy a hamburger on the road, I suggested to wait until we were home, which we did.

Tonight veggie: something with cauliflower and yellow cheese, served with vegetable burgers.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #965 on: May 27, 2019, 07:29:59 AM »
Had people over for memorial grilling. I made hamburgers, hotdogs, slaw, corn, and jello with fruit. Friends brought over really delicious sirloin and veggie kabobs, bratwurst and sides a Cuban  Lima bean and rice dish, tortilla espana, and pineapple cake. Drinks were variety of beers and rose wine, coke, sparkling waters.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #966 on: May 27, 2019, 07:48:06 AM »
We’re planning on grilled burgers, chips, and whatever salad my mom brings. I owe my husband a birthday cake, so hopefully I’ll get that baked in time for dessert.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #967 on: May 27, 2019, 07:57:18 AM »
Last night was a total fail. I've come down with something nasty. I quit working on the flip house, went home early and fell into bed. Hours later, DH stopped for Pad Thai on his way home. When the cook is sick, and the chief worker on the flip project has the next week off from work to get things done on the project, it seems prudent to let someone else cook to minimize the potential spread of germs. I didn't see the bill, but I'm assuming it was $50 for four orders. Money well spent, under the circumstances.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #968 on: May 27, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »
I have a shoulder injury. I'm supposed to rest my shoulder, but I'm resting it as much as I should. I told the kids we are eating leftovers, or simple food on paper plates this week, so I give my arm a rest

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #969 on: May 27, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »
I tried to approximate a dish that I like at our local tapas place - "mushroom corncake." Basically polenta with mushrooms and gorgonzola sauce and possibly other things that I'm forgetting right now. Anyway, didn't use a recipe - cooked cornmeal in some veg broth, fried it (this was kind of a fail because it fell apart instead of forming cakes, but it tasted OK), topped with mushrooms sauteed in a little butter with garlic and thyme from the garden, and a sprinkle of blue cheese crumbles that I had on hand. Not bad!

I also threw together corn/tomato/avocado salad; basically what it says on the tin, tossed with a little lemon juice and dijon mustard.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #970 on: May 27, 2019, 11:50:26 PM »
Tonight I need to go to the city for a walk, at dinner time. It is at least 1,5 hour travel, so I won't have time to eat dinner. I will buy a lunch at work today and eat sandwiches in the train tonight.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #971 on: May 28, 2019, 06:52:18 AM »
I think Budget Bytes’ Easy Oven Fajitas so the bell peppers in my fridge don’t go to waste.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #972 on: May 28, 2019, 12:30:56 PM »
Giant container of organic spinach on clearance today, so big salads.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #973 on: May 28, 2019, 05:00:40 PM »
https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/sausage-and-potato-roast-with-arugula/

Not particularly "mustachian", but YUM! And it's pretty fast and easy.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #974 on: May 29, 2019, 12:30:29 AM »
No idea, but we are out of fresh vegetables. So tonight we will need to eat something out of the stuffed freezer.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #975 on: May 29, 2019, 07:57:27 AM »
Meatloaf, and a salad with lettuces from the garden.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #976 on: May 29, 2019, 08:28:40 AM »
Picked up a Boston butt at a decent price last week, so we're having pulled pork chili.  Pork, bell peppers, onions, some Rotel that I found in the pantry, and chili spices.  Hopefully it turns out pretty good.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #977 on: May 29, 2019, 05:30:53 PM »
I’m on a sheet pan meal kick this week, so tonight we’re having Budget Bytes’ roasted bratwurst with peppers and onions. Hooray for using up the last of the slightly wilted bell peppers and a sale pack of bratwursts!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #978 on: May 29, 2019, 06:28:58 PM »
https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/01/lentil-soup-with-sausage-chard-and-garlic/

Because, although the sun finally came out for a few hours this afternoon after several days of heavy clouds, it's still only 50F or so.

Planning on Panzanella/pasta salad tomorrow, though!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #979 on: May 30, 2019, 05:19:12 AM »
Black beans and spanish rice last night.  Chicken tinga and rice tonight.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #980 on: May 30, 2019, 07:25:19 AM »
Today, I have a packed work day and a 7pm meeting that will likely be very unpleasant.

Dinner will either be bacon and eggs or whatever stir fry husband manages to put together from fridge and pantry bits. I now wish I’d gone to Costco on Tuesday because then we’d at least have a frozen pizza on hand.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #981 on: May 30, 2019, 09:06:59 AM »
Tonight is stuffed peppers.  Some to eat and some for the freezer. 

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #982 on: May 30, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »
Seared ahi with ginger and scallions. If only it were already dinner time.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #983 on: May 30, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »
I had an Aldi pizza for dinner last night, as my wife and daughter went out for dinner.  $2.95 and morish.  Oh, and home brew...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #984 on: June 01, 2019, 07:09:46 PM »
From-scratch red (tomato) sauce with Italian turkey sausage, onions, mushrooms, and bell pepper over gluten-free pasta.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #985 on: June 03, 2019, 03:59:08 AM »
If I am the one who cooks tonight, then pasta with blue cheese and some green stuff that I foraged and can be used as spinach.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #986 on: June 03, 2019, 08:02:52 PM »
Grilled chicken drumsticks, roasted potatoes, and spinach salad.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #987 on: June 03, 2019, 08:35:56 PM »
Tonight I'm raiding the fridge...Sauteing some zucchini before it goes bad, then will add some already cubed and cooked chicken (had a lot when I made verde chicken mole, so I put some aside), and will boil and skillet fry some dried yellow noodles.  Toss a little bulgogi marinade to add flavor when it's done.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #988 on: June 03, 2019, 09:12:14 PM »
Not frugal at all, but Copper River salmon. You can only get it a few times a year, and it's my husband's favorite. His early birthday/Father's Day treat.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #989 on: June 04, 2019, 05:35:22 AM »
Paninis (resembling this red pepper and chicken panini recipe) with cucumber and black bean salad

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #990 on: June 04, 2019, 05:44:49 AM »
Confit buffalo wings tonight. I get the wings for $1.19 per pound at a restaurant supply store.  That place is pure magic.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #991 on: June 04, 2019, 08:49:25 AM »
Wild rice & vegetable casserole. One of our favorites!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #992 on: June 04, 2019, 08:51:33 AM »
Tonight I'm going to make buffalo chicken soup.  While it's cooking, I'll prep a Boston Butt (on sale last week for $1.68/lb) to go into the crockpot tomorrow.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #993 on: June 04, 2019, 09:51:41 PM »
Grilled pork chops, with grilled asparagus, roasted potato and sweet potato wedges, tomato salad, and a salad/salsa thing of diced cucumbers, watermelons, feta, thinly sliced mint, and a little rice vinegar. I was out of town over the weekend, and didn't get to eat enough vegetables -- and we'll be out of town this next weekend, too.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #994 on: June 04, 2019, 10:04:38 PM »
I have half a point cut roast in the crock pot with vegetables, spices, and wine.  Serve over rice for lunch tomorrow.  Easy peasy

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #995 on: June 05, 2019, 12:25:28 AM »
Boneless chicken thighs, stir fry vegetables, cononut oil and fresh coriander. And probably some curry paste for the flavour. With rice.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #996 on: June 05, 2019, 11:26:26 AM »
Roast chicken topped with caramelized onions and goat cheese, served with tomato risotto. Maybe I'll eat a salad with it but probably not.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #997 on: June 05, 2019, 08:09:27 PM »
Salad + kebabs & rice (leftovers)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #998 on: June 06, 2019, 12:31:31 AM »
I did a few artichokes in the instant pot.  The ones my mom planted will still take a while to produce, but I was able to get some for $1 each at Grocery Outlet.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #999 on: June 06, 2019, 12:59:44 AM »
I will serve my home made green-plant-burgers, mixed with egg. I will make lettuce as extra vegetable and maybe fried potato cubes.