Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950119 times)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #850 on: April 29, 2019, 07:14:09 PM »
Nachos, because we're adults!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #851 on: April 29, 2019, 07:41:02 PM »
Lentil, sausage, vegetable and kale soup, with homemade croutons and grated cheese.

Because it's Freakin'  snowing again. Happy spring, everyone!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #852 on: April 29, 2019, 07:55:49 PM »
Tried making veggies and tofu in the crockpot and adding General Tso spice mix for flavor. Do not recommend, not at all. This combination turns out well when stirfried, but makes a watery soup in the slow cooker, even when I use less liquid overall. It was gross. We ate it anyway, and tomorrow is another day.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #853 on: April 30, 2019, 04:23:03 AM »
Just made herb, garlic, and butter marinaded chicken breasts with a side of pasta and steamed some California style veggies. Very busy this week so going to be quick easy meals to make.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #854 on: April 30, 2019, 04:27:04 AM »
For the first time ever, I made home made butter! I watched a YouTube video and thought I knew what I was doing but ruined the first batch and had to chuck it. I rewatched the video and tried it again. The butter came out really nice. However, it sure didn't save me any money considering I ruined the first batch. But now I know how to make it and might keep a look out for whipping cream when it goes on sale and make butter out of it, then freeze it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #855 on: April 30, 2019, 07:31:44 AM »
I think we’re having tacos. I thawed some ground beef, and I have a lot of bell and hot peppers to use before they wilt/shrivel. Maybe I’ll roast the bell peppers with some onions for a fajita-like topping.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #856 on: April 30, 2019, 07:48:07 AM »
For the first time ever, I made home made butter! I watched a YouTube video and thought I knew what I was doing but ruined the first batch and had to chuck it. I rewatched the video and tried it again. The butter came out really nice. However, it sure didn't save me any money considering I ruined the first batch. But now I know how to make it and might keep a look out for whipping cream when it goes on sale and make butter out of it, then freeze it.

Ooh, can you link to the tutorial you used?  Sometimes the cream from the local dairy that uses glass bottles is on clearance, and this would be a good way to use/preserve it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #857 on: April 30, 2019, 02:45:46 PM »
Split barbecue Chickens, Chicken fried rice , a veggie loaded salad and a steamed mixed bag of frozen veggies

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #858 on: April 30, 2019, 04:50:38 PM »

Ooh, can you link to the tutorial you used?  Sometimes the cream from the local dairy that uses glass bottles is on clearance, and this would be a good way to use/preserve it.

This is the video I used as an example. I have a Vita Mix blender and I think it is more powerful than this blender in the video  so things went quicker and that is why I ruined the first batch. This is a good tutorial and I would suggest you watch it several times to 'get' what this lady is talking about. It was really kind of fun and I was like WOW, I made butter! They liquid whey is supposed to be good for other stuff too but I didn't look into that. Maybe do a search for what you can use whey in so you don't waste it like I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MAzSv3SlnY

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #859 on: May 01, 2019, 11:52:06 AM »
DH caught a fish, one of these flat type fishes. We ate it with ostrich fern, bacon and potatoes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #860 on: May 01, 2019, 02:28:57 PM »
Homemade red pasta sauce, as this will allow me to use up the rest of the ground beef that I thawed for last night's tacos, the rest of a can of tomato paste that I opened for soup on Monday, some of the fresh basil that I couldn't resist at the store, and a small pack of mushrooms before they shrivel. I haven't decided whether this will be served with penne or spaghetti.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #861 on: May 01, 2019, 08:14:37 PM »
It's been cool and rainy (with an occasional interlude of hail and snow, and, oh yeah, it was sunny once for 5 minutes) today, so we had fidget casserole. It's like a "fidget pie" apparently a traditional Shropshire thing, but without the fussiness of a crust -- our version is a giant baked dish of leeks, onions, potatoes, apples, and bits of ham, all cooked with sage in a cheesy sauce. I was taking a kid to a music lesson, and this was in the oven cooking itself, all ready to take out when we returned home.

Also salad, for healthiness.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #862 on: May 02, 2019, 10:30:53 PM »

This is the video I used as an example. I have a Vita Mix blender and I think it is more powerful than this blender in the video  so things went quicker and that is why I ruined the first batch. This is a good tutorial and I would suggest you watch it several times to 'get' what this lady is talking about. It was really kind of fun and I was like WOW, I made butter! They liquid whey is supposed to be good for other stuff too but I didn't look into that. Maybe do a search for what you can use whey in so you don't waste it like I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MAzSv3SlnY

Cool, thanks!  I've used whey for baking, and barring that, the chickens love it.

Dinner tonight was luxurious:  T-bones from the beef quarter we just got, topped with sauteed leek (homegrown volunteer) and shiitake mushrooms and grilled asparagus.  I wanted to make something nice for DH who just got home from a long trip overseas, but he pretty much face planted when he got home from work and didn't eat.  But that's OK because I get to have steak for lunch tomorrow.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #863 on: May 02, 2019, 10:41:23 PM »
Tonight is my take on chilli-con:

Meat sauce made with:
1 kg minced beef
800 grams baked beans
cumin (lots)
paprika (lots)

Salsa:
400gm can of diced tomatoes
Chillis from the garden (habaneros are good)
a capsicum
2 onions diced
fried until thickish.

Served as baked potatoes opened up, then meat sauce, grated cheese, salsa and greek yoghurt.

Enjoy with a homebrew beer in front of tonight's football game.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #864 on: May 02, 2019, 11:58:36 PM »
Yesterday I roasted a cabbage in the oven with oil, garlic, chili and ginger. With baked potato slices and small meatballs.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #865 on: May 03, 2019, 10:39:51 AM »
Last night: grilled porkchops, roasted sweet potato wedges, roast cauliflower salad. Apple cake.

Tonight: (After the third kid concert in 5 days) pizza and salad. I started the dough a few hours ago. I'll probably bake one up in the afternoon, so it can be eaten as a pre-concert snack.

Thank heavens the instrument-playing kid is in a decent high school band. I don't have much more "sitting through performances by beginners" left in my behind.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #866 on: May 03, 2019, 10:47:54 AM »
Yesterday I roasted a cabbage in the oven with oil, garlic, chili and ginger. With baked potato slices and small meatballs.

Mm nice.  Did you put the whole head in, or cut into wedges?

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #867 on: May 03, 2019, 10:54:59 AM »
Husband is attempting pad see ew in his new wok. Mmm, rice noodles.

Can you share the pad see ewe recipe? I love this dish and when I have tried making it in the past it wasn’t quite right, specifically the sauce was off.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #868 on: May 03, 2019, 11:06:08 AM »

Can you share the pad see ewe recipe? I love this dish and when I have tried making it in the past it wasn’t quite right, specifically the sauce was off.

It was from a cookbook (this one), so I don't have a link. It was good but not quite "right," either, although that may be due to a couple of sauce substitutions to accommodate my celiac disease.

(Note: we really have enjoyed the linked cookbook. The Grapow Chicken and Cashew Chicken recipes were delicious.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 11:09:30 AM by OtherJen »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #869 on: May 03, 2019, 02:16:15 PM »

I'm not @Linea_Norway  but I always do wedges.  Cooks faster and you get yummy crispy edges.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #870 on: May 04, 2019, 12:02:54 PM »

I'm not @Linea_Norway  but I always do wedges.  Cooks faster and you get yummy crispy edges.

I also cut it into 8 wedges. Today we ate it as leftover, heated up in the oven and added grated cheese. Tasted very well.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #871 on: May 04, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »
Masaman curry chicken and vegetables in the instantpot tonight.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #872 on: May 04, 2019, 04:56:33 PM »
We are having chicken enchiladas from the freezer

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #873 on: May 04, 2019, 08:04:12 PM »
Tried the "crispy tofu and soba noodles" recipe from the New York times. Added more vegetables.

Meh. The "sauce" kinda sucked. I'm not sure if I want to try to improve it next time, or just consider it a wash and recycle the pages I printed the recipe on. (Probably the second one: there's nothing particularly unique or interested about the recipe.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #874 on: May 05, 2019, 06:27:23 PM »
I was going to make a keto friendly beef dish, but my husband's flight is delayed, so he's not eating with us. Instead, the kids will have cheese pizza & I'll have a salad. So fancy ;-)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #875 on: May 05, 2019, 07:50:03 PM »
Budget Bytes’ chicken tikka masala. I doubt it’s particularly authentic, but it was easy and really damned delicious over basmati rice with a bit of fresh cilantro.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #876 on: May 06, 2019, 11:46:31 AM »
Tonight's dinner will be seasoned and baked chicken wings, roasted potatoes, and green salad.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #877 on: May 06, 2019, 01:04:13 PM »

It was from a cookbook (this one), so I don't have a link. It was good but not quite "right," either, although that may be due to a couple of sauce substitutions to accommodate my celiac disease.

(Note: we really have enjoyed the linked cookbook. The Grapow Chicken and Cashew Chicken recipes were delicious.)

Thanks!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #878 on: May 06, 2019, 02:55:24 PM »
Tonight we will eat ziti.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #879 on: May 07, 2019, 01:11:25 AM »
Last night we ate rösti potatoes, fish, green salad and grated carrot.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #880 on: May 07, 2019, 03:26:34 AM »
Tonights gonna be soft and hard tacos, Mexican rice and refried beans.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #881 on: May 07, 2019, 05:48:55 AM »
Tonight was Burrito Night, using leftovers from last night's Cinco de Mayo Taco Fest. I made a rare pilgrimage to Winco today and laid in a supply of our favorite giant green tortillas. They're stupidly expensive, but they make great Burritos.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #882 on: May 07, 2019, 07:42:22 AM »
last night was a pastrami, swiss cheese, rye bread casserole with sauerkraut, dill relish, with a sauce poured over milk, eggs, yellow mustard & thousand island dressing. Kind of like a pastrami sammie but casserole style.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #883 on: May 07, 2019, 12:28:08 PM »
New dish with roasted cherrie tomatoes, with lots of spices and herbs, on a bed of yoghurt. Tasted nicely. Recipe from the book Simple.
Served with wraps with meat, cabbage, and veggie mix.

As it wasn't much food, I am currently baking oatmeal cookies.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #884 on: May 07, 2019, 01:36:49 PM »
Anyone use TVP (Texurized Vegtable Protein)?

I don't know why but I bought 4 small bags of it thinking it would be good to fill up on since it is high in protein. I know you can add it to things like stuffed peppers, spaghetti sauce, tacos and even use it as a sub for oatmeal. Can anyone offer any other ideas?

I was thinking about a breakfast bar where I could bake it like a casserole and then cut into bars, brownie shapes but don't have a recipe. Or some kind of snack type things for in between meal snacks.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #885 on: May 07, 2019, 01:56:41 PM »
We'll be at the kids track meet until late, so I pulled shredded chicken out of the freezer. No one particularly loved it, but I will try to doctor it up a bit. The adults will eat it inside of avocado halves, & the kids will eat it on slider buns. Served with a salad.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #886 on: May 07, 2019, 02:59:47 PM »

I don't know why but I bought 4 small bags of it thinking it would be good to fill up on since it is high in protein. I know you can add it to things like stuffed peppers, spaghetti sauce, tacos and even use it as a sub for oatmeal. Can anyone offer any other ideas?

I was thinking about a breakfast bar where I could bake it like a casserole and then cut into bars, brownie shapes but don't have a recipe. Or some kind of snack type things for in between meal snacks.

Oh, man -- that stuff is known in my house as being the source of the most potent, horrible, ripper farts. Like, we only eat it on camping trips, and sometimes people are banned from the tent for a while after dinner. Eating it in the house would be a hard NO.

I hope your experience is better!

We're having pozole (with salsa, avocados, and slaw) for dinner. As it's raining again, moving towards snow on Thursday.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #887 on: May 07, 2019, 04:28:39 PM »
Mac-and-cheese from scratch (husband's request) and broccoli.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #888 on: May 07, 2019, 05:51:04 PM »

I use it a lot, in place of all ground meat in fact. Chili, spaghetti sauce, in granola, in oatmeal, on pizza (spiced like sausage crumbles for this), in grits or omelets (ditto), in muffins. I've even used it to make laab. For all of those except the chili, spaghetti sauce, and granola, you want to hydrate it with boiling water first, with any spices you're adding to it. Chili and spaghetti will hydrate it right in the sauce, and in granola you want the crunch (I often use it in place of nuts). If you've never had it, I do recommend starting slow to see how you react, fart-wise.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #889 on: May 08, 2019, 01:07:20 AM »
DH has to work far away today and will be home late. So I'll have dinner alone.

I will be eating leftover stuff:
- a small bag of dried mushrooms that I picked last year.
- Chinese cabbage that I cut of for yesterday's wraps. But DH didn't eat his full share.
- no meat, I'll use an egg or some cheese.

No idea how this will become a meal, but I'll give it a try.

I will also roast some eggplants that I bought and that won't survive the weekend we are away. I guess we can eat those tomorrow or bring it along on the trip.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #890 on: May 08, 2019, 06:56:53 AM »
Now I am questioning my judgement on buying TVP! I always have these good intentions and then it all falls apart. Now I regret buying the TVP. It was cheap to buy so maybe I will donate it to charity. For some reason I just had to buy it! DUH to me!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #891 on: May 08, 2019, 07:28:57 AM »
Spaghetti bolognese for most people, with my husband having the sauce over butter fried cabbage instead

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #892 on: May 08, 2019, 11:26:13 AM »
Tonight, dinner  will be pork chops, mashed potatoes, applesauce, and ice cream for dessert.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:28:35 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #893 on: May 08, 2019, 11:39:44 AM »
Mark Bittman's "Cassoulet with many vegetables". Because it's in the 40s and raining...

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #894 on: May 08, 2019, 02:11:28 PM »
I think this was mean to be. Just got a postcard in the mail today that Saturday is the post office collection of foods for the food pantry. I already put in my TVP that I had to have! Maybe someone else will appreciate it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #895 on: May 09, 2019, 02:25:49 AM »
Roasted eggplant with yoghurt and spices. Something beside it that I haven't figured out yet.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #896 on: May 09, 2019, 05:55:58 AM »
Ugh. I ate something last night that was supposedly gluten-free. It wasn’t. Tonight’s dinner will have to be bland. I’m thinking lightly seasoned baked salmon, rice, and maybe roasted carrots.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #897 on: May 09, 2019, 08:29:17 AM »
^-- Sorry to hear about the gluten-induced digestive problems!

We're having beef and broccoli stir-fry on rice. 

I've been doing a pretty good job of planning meals (and shopping on Saturdays) and the refrigerator is satisfying empty of ingredients by today. (There are leftovers in here, but the raw components are being used up -- the veg drawer is nearly empty.)  This will predictably result in teenagers coming home today, opening the door, and wondering aloud where all the food is...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #898 on: May 09, 2019, 11:12:35 AM »
This weekend we will be on an island and join the joined meals, organized by vegetarians and vegans, with focus on using kelp in each meal. That will an be interesting experience. I will try to find edible plants to add to the meals. We will bring some of my homemade hiking food along for just in case.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #899 on: May 09, 2019, 08:01:40 PM »
Ugh. I ate something last night that was supposedly gluten-free. It wasn’t. Tonight’s dinner will have to be bland. I’m thinking lightly seasoned baked salmon, rice, and maybe roasted carrots.

Thanks, @jeninco . It wasn’t a bad hit, just enough to be uncomfortable.

We made a pretty tasty and mild dinner of baked salmon seasoned with Old Bay, roasted carrots in balsamic vinaigrette with thyme, and Persian stuck-pot rice (tahdig).