Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950029 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #800 on: April 18, 2019, 08:39:48 PM »
My parents are in town & are awesome, so they made chicken enchiladas & cake.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #801 on: April 19, 2019, 10:22:18 AM »
Warming up frozen homemade pizza.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #802 on: April 19, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »
Pizza!  Kroger crusts and our toppings.  That and home brewed beer.

Mmmmmmm....BEER!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #803 on: April 20, 2019, 07:20:38 AM »
Two recipes from the cookbook Simple:

Burrata with roasted gapes. I will use mozerella instead of burrata.

Entrecote with harissa, peppers and lemonsauce.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #804 on: April 20, 2019, 02:34:45 PM »
Not sure yet, but something without campfire ashes...  After four days of camping and cooking all food on the fire, I'm going to miss that smoky flavor...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #805 on: April 21, 2019, 02:23:06 AM »
Whole chicken with lemon.
Couscous with tomatoes.
Salad with haricot verts and green aspergus.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 11:09:28 AM by Linea_Norway »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #806 on: April 21, 2019, 04:47:05 AM »
We hosted a party at our house tonight. Everybody brings an appetizer. Yesterday, I hosted a breakfast for another group and there were leftovers, which of course I packed up and brought home. Since I paid for the food, why wouldn't I?

Tonight's contribution to the array of appetizers was yesterday's leftovers, prettily arranged on a nice platter.  And voila!  Dinner was served.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #807 on: April 21, 2019, 05:01:42 AM »
Last night it was nice to finally have a great evening, breakout the grill and have some steaks.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #808 on: April 21, 2019, 05:18:49 AM »
I made this salad last night and it was sooo good! https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/tuscan-kale-caesar-slaw

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #809 on: April 21, 2019, 10:19:09 AM »
My husband is grilling chicken and we'll serve that with salad. And, a nice bottle of wine.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #810 on: April 21, 2019, 10:24:43 AM »
We're having roast chicken, potatoes and other veggies plus some asparagus and nice wine for Easter dinner tonight.  And chocolate easter eggs for dessert.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #811 on: April 21, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »
Last night I roasted a small cauliflower and ate the whole thing with a fish sauce/chile paste/sesame oil dip.

Tonight I'm making pizza with my sourdough starter, homemade pesto and fresh mozzarella.  Maybe a spinach salad on the side.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #812 on: April 21, 2019, 11:33:58 AM »
Husband put spare ribs in the smoker about an hour ago. I'll make a batch of multi-veggie cole slaw and roasted potatoes. The weather is incredible, so we might get to eat on the patio.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #813 on: April 21, 2019, 01:31:56 PM »
Tonight will be sea scallops on top of yellow saffron rice and left over Tuscan kale salad.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #814 on: April 21, 2019, 09:25:33 PM »
Last night: we had back-to-back away soccer games, so before we left (and at the advice of my friendly butchers) I stuck a random "roast" from our 1/2 steer into a crockpot with some spices and a bit of stock. We cooked it on high for a few hours, then low for the rest of the day. Had it for dinner with baked potatoes, salad, and asparagus. And orange cake.

Today: most of us had polenta (or "cheese grits") with a cauliflower and tomato sauce, with more white cheddar on top. The kid who really doesn't like polenta had the same stuff over a leftover baked potato. And jelly beans left over from this morning.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #815 on: April 22, 2019, 02:31:56 AM »
Whole chicken with lemon.
Couscous with tomatoes.
Salad with haricot verts and green aspergus.

Same as yesterday, as I made a double portion of the side dishes. A whole chicken is always two portions for two people, or even more.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #816 on: April 22, 2019, 09:50:53 AM »
Last night: we had back-to-back away soccer games, so before we left (and at the advice of my friendly butchers) I stuck a random "roast" from our 1/2 steer into a crockpot with some spices and a bit of stock. We cooked it on high for a few hours, then low for the rest of the day. Had it for dinner with baked potatoes, salad, and asparagus. And orange cake.

Today: most of us had polenta (or "cheese grits") with a cauliflower and tomato sauce, with more white cheddar on top. The kid who really doesn't like polenta had the same stuff over a leftover baked potato. And jelly beans left over from this morning.

@jeninco - my kids play club soccer as well, but never games on Easter! This was such a relaxing weekend without games. We are back at it next weekend, with both boys in tournaments, so six games if no playoffs. ;-)

For dinner today, we're having leftover Persian food. We have a little bit of beef kebab, chicken kebab, & a few variants of rice dishes. Yum!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #817 on: April 22, 2019, 11:49:51 AM »
I'm sure my kids will be thrilled for a third day of black bean sweet potato chili.  (Actually, they didn't eat it on Saturday, so it's only night 2 for them).  There are 2 slices of leftover pizza for them, if they want.

And kale chips.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #818 on: April 22, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
My 10 year old is making risotto (with my help).

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: April 22, 2019, 04:39:25 PM »
Quinoa salad with chickpeas, tomato, cucumber and pink beans, with an olive oil-lime juice dressing and a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #820 on: April 22, 2019, 08:02:38 PM »
Locally made holiday kielbasa sautéed with sliced onion and shredded cabbage, and roasted potatoes.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #821 on: April 22, 2019, 09:34:39 PM »
Last night I roasted a small cauliflower and ate the whole thing with a fish sauce/chile paste/sesame oil dip.

Same, but broccoli tonight.  I had a burger and fries for a late lunch, so no need to eat a "real" dinner.

Tomorrow I'll probably roast chicken, cabbage and butternut squash and eat that for a few days.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #822 on: April 23, 2019, 01:34:48 AM »
We need to make something of the leftover chicken that I scraped off the carcass yesterday.
Maybe some tortilla wraps, with some green salad.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #823 on: April 23, 2019, 03:12:01 AM »
Was busy as all hell so just threw in some stuffed porkchops, grean beans, heated up some chopped up sweet potato chunks and had a few leftover Turkey Sausages Italian to eat up.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #824 on: April 23, 2019, 05:43:57 AM »
Tonight will be oven roasted turkey breast, pesto egg noodles and fresh green beans sautéed with garlic, butter, parsley.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #825 on: April 23, 2019, 10:38:02 AM »
Found out I'm allergic to beef :( 

I cut beef out for a while, and my psoriasis went away.  Had steak on Sunday and again yesterday (leftovers) and it flared right back up!  Damn, that sucks.  I love beef. 

Oh well, I also love fish, chicken, pork and lamb, none of which seem to cause me any problems.  So for dinner tonight I'm making street tacos from ground turkey breast.  I've had it before, it's very yummy.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #826 on: April 23, 2019, 03:12:41 PM »
Sorry to hear that, @tyort1 . Food allergies can be so frustrating, but at least you figured it out! Street tacos sound delicious.

For us: I have a 6 pm meeting. Chicken thighs are currently in a shawarma marinade (lemon juice, olive oil, tons of garlic, various spices) and will be grilled once husband gets home from work. I'll make up a garlic yogurt sauce and slice some tomatoes and cucumbers. Not sure yet if we'll want a starch like gluten-free wrap bread or rice.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #827 on: April 23, 2019, 04:29:11 PM »
@OtherJen , Yum! We need to get more Indian-inspired things into the rotation. It's suddenly become spring (in the way that happens here -- it snowed last week, now it's 75F), and I'm thinking through the spring things.

Last night: chili with the leftover shredded meat from that "roast".  And rainbow slaw (dressed with just rice vinegar) corn chips, avocados, and cheddar.

Tonight: Grilled pork chops (I need to go brush them with mustard), sweet potato and russet baked wedges, probably cabbage. And sauerkraut and mustard.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #828 on: April 23, 2019, 06:36:45 PM »
Changed plans and made a big batch of chicken larb with cashews and Thai basil pesto dressing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #829 on: April 24, 2019, 02:15:02 AM »
Found out I'm allergic to beef :( 

I cut beef out for a while, and my psoriasis went away.  Had steak on Sunday and again yesterday (leftovers) and it flared right back up!  Damn, that sucks.  I love beef. 

Oh well, I also love fish, chicken, pork and lamb, none of which seem to cause me any problems.  So for dinner tonight I'm making street tacos from ground turkey breast.  I've had it before, it's very yummy.

It's not nice to be allergic to food you love, but you should be happy that your illness is so easy to prevent as long as you eat correctly. I have noticed that I respond badly to unions. It is a PITA to avoid those, but I got used to it and the difference for my belly problems is like day and night.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #830 on: April 24, 2019, 02:15:41 AM »
Green salad with veggie burgers. And something potato-ish.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #831 on: April 24, 2019, 04:01:42 AM »
Was working in the kitchen all day painting so just made chicken thighs on the grill and chicken fried rice on the stove. Good and easy.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #832 on: April 24, 2019, 06:06:23 PM »
Green salad with veggie burgers. And something potato-ish.

My dinner will include something  potato-ish too.

Mashed potatoes, pork chops, applesauce, and ice cream for dessert.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:08:04 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #833 on: April 24, 2019, 07:44:55 PM »
Grilled salmon, tahdig (Iranian stuck-pot rice; apparently we’re on a Middle Eastern kick this week) and spinach salad with homemade vinaigrette.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #834 on: April 25, 2019, 09:18:59 AM »
Last night: made a big black bean salad (with onions, red peppers, corn, chipotle-lime dressing) in the afternoon, then had scoops warmed up for dinner with fried eggs, warmed up tortillas, a little grated cheese, and some salad.

Tonight: beef and broccoli stir-fry. The beef is defrosting now (it's easier to cut thin slices when it's half-defrosted).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #835 on: April 25, 2019, 11:10:18 AM »
I just made and ate soup, made of leftover broccoli stilks from the freezer, some carrots, a chunk of french blue cheese, some leaves of self picked wild garlic and selfmade mushroom soy sauce. Served with home made croutons of leftover bread ends from the freezer. I also thickened the soup with old bread. I added a boiled egg for some additional protein.
DH liked it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #836 on: April 25, 2019, 02:31:39 PM »
Tonight going with a good ole Italian basic the kids will love. Baked Mostacoli with Italian 1/4 inch or so sliced sausage chunks instead of meatballs and Garlic bread and salad for the side. Need something simple as I mulched all day.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #837 on: April 26, 2019, 07:18:23 AM »
I just made and ate soup, made of leftover broccoli stilks from the freezer, some carrots, a chunk of french blue cheese, some leaves of self picked wild garlic and selfmade mushroom soy sauce. Served with home made croutons of leftover bread ends from the freezer. I also thickened the soup with old bread. I added a boiled egg for some additional protein.
DH liked it.

That sounds good as hell.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #838 on: April 26, 2019, 10:04:52 AM »
Last night we had sauteed sausage and baked chicken fingers.  I also made a dill-potato salad with steamed snap peas and a lemon vinaigrette.

Our veggie box mid week had baby potatoes and dill.  I cooked the potatoes in the instant pot (first time ever) and they were perfect.  5 min pressure, a few min natural then release.  Red onion, dill, lemon juice/vinegar/garlic (lemon from my neighbor's tree), snap peas, yum!

Tonight is Friday, so frozen pizza and salad.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #839 on: April 26, 2019, 07:25:42 PM »
Bacon, scrambled eggs, and roasted potatoes. I should probably peel a couple of oranges for dessert.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #840 on: April 27, 2019, 06:49:10 AM »
Tried something new. Made a small casserole dish of layers of hamburger and eggplant, with cottage cheese on top.  Turned out OK.

I was happy to find the eggplant was only $1.69 a pound. 

Next on the list is lasagna. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #841 on: April 27, 2019, 10:17:43 AM »
I get a Misfits Market organic vegetable box every two weeks. I order the big box and it lasts just about two weeks. It is challenging to find new recipes using the veggies that I rarely or never buy. I also made eggplant parmesan last night and it was delish!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #842 on: April 27, 2019, 11:09:59 AM »
Today I made a starter of fried ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris), with a parmesan imitation amd pine nuts. Good feedback that it was restaurant quality, but could use a øittle vinegar.

Main dish was fried catfish, served with mashed potato with wild garlic and cooked broccoli.

The fern and wild garlic I picked myself yesterday and today.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #843 on: April 27, 2019, 03:00:44 PM »
I'm doing keto or something close to it for a couple weeks to get rid of my burgeoning sweet tooth.

Last night I steamed a head of cauliflower, broke it up and mixed it in a small casserole dish with chopped green chile, cilantro and green onions, then did a layer of cheddar, layer of carnitas, more of the green chile mixture, and more cheese on top.  Baked until the cheese started to brown.  It was mm,mm good.  Looking forward to eating the leftovers for dinner tonight.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #844 on: April 27, 2019, 08:06:19 PM »
We had leftover black bean salad from last week, so made enchiladas and cabbage/carrot slaw. Tasty!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #845 on: April 29, 2019, 09:15:24 AM »
Sorry to hear that, @tyort1 . Food allergies can be so frustrating, but at least you figured it out! Street tacos sound delicious.

For us: I have a 6 pm meeting. Chicken thighs are currently in a shawarma marinade (lemon juice, olive oil, tons of garlic, various spices) and will be grilled once husband gets home from work. I'll make up a garlic yogurt sauce and slice some tomatoes and cucumbers. Not sure yet if we'll want a starch like gluten-free wrap bread or rice.

@OtherJen - you can actually use yogurt in the marinade to make the chicken extra moist. My husband makes a Persian kebab recipe that way.

We'll be having leftover chicken kebabs + rice. We didn't really get a chance to eat much yesterday between soccer games.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #846 on: April 29, 2019, 12:54:44 PM »
Sausages and cakes made of green weeds, sweet potato, eggs, flour and herbs. Served with a bit of tomato salsa with fresh koriander that I planted in the kitchen window.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #847 on: April 29, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »
Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #848 on: April 29, 2019, 03:59:17 PM »
Bean and ham soup.

horsepoor