Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950117 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #700 on: March 24, 2019, 04:39:52 AM »
My DH made fish soup. Enough for two meals.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #701 on: March 24, 2019, 12:13:18 PM »
We're having chicken alfredo, but with spiralized zucchini in place of noodles. Never tried it before, so hope it's good

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #702 on: March 25, 2019, 02:19:00 PM »
We did the taco night but with something called "mexican-crumbles" it was a hit! On the side: sliced avocado, lettuce, tomato, salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream.
marinated sauteed shrimp with stir fry and rice (broccolli, carrot, red pepper, onion)
Spanokorizo with tomato puree. On the side hummus and bread.
Next day opened a can of black beans and had with the spinach/tomato rice mixture. Have enough for 1 more meal (will bring for lunch).
Last night did burgers and homemade fries. for my burger had morningstar grillers which has less of a beany taste than some.
another hit: egg-free pancakes.
For this week: Got some porcinni mushrooms and will try to make a vegan mushroom sauce for gnocchi.I forgot the vegetable broth so this may be more of a miss than a hit.   

Another miss was trying to make a "vegan" brownie by substituting more water and oil for the 2 eggs. It became an oily gooey mass, more like fudge/icing than brownie. I'm still eating it, but it definitely needs -something if I attempt again (corn starch? apple sauce? Banana? ).   

What I am relieved about, is that I am basically able to make 1 meal and modify, than what I have done in the past is make 2 separate meals. And the kids have been enjoying some of the meals.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #703 on: March 25, 2019, 07:25:48 PM »
Frozen pizza and spinach salad. I will be so happy when the schedule chaos settles down and I have time to cook from scratch every day.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #704 on: March 25, 2019, 07:28:58 PM »
Leftover salad followed by brownies.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #705 on: March 25, 2019, 07:49:24 PM »
Gonna hit the easy button and raid the freezer.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #706 on: March 25, 2019, 10:00:57 PM »
Today was is my only day off for the next two weeks (crazy OT at work this month).  After spending half the day getting snow tires changed over and then fixing my parent's furnace, I didn't get as much time to prep for the week as I wanted.

However, I did make kahlua pork, charro beans, and baked potatoes.  All provide plenty in the way of leftovers, along with some baked chicken breasts that are in the freezer.  Pork and noodles, pork and charro bean burritos, bbq pork on rolls, fried potatoes and sausage/bacon, chicken/salami/parm cheese sandwiches, etc.

My mom "paid" for the furnace repair in some carrots freshly dug up from the garden (where they over-wintered).  If I had more time, I'd pickle and can some, but time is in short supply right now.  So instead, I'll eat some fresh and cook some up later this week. 

I also made a large batch of lemon bars.  We rarely do dessert, but I needed to take care of some lemons before they went bad, and it just sounded good. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #707 on: March 26, 2019, 01:18:01 AM »
DH bought soya burgers. We ate them with green cale, combined with some cashew nuts and honey, and left over fresh bread with old and vinegar.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #708 on: March 26, 2019, 12:11:11 PM »
Sesame noodles and chicken. I tossed udon noodles with a dressing of sesame oil, olive oil, soy sauce and rice vinegar, and sprinkled them with sesame seeds, shredded chicken and steamed broccoli. Good either hot or cold.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #709 on: March 26, 2019, 01:07:22 PM »
Fried some leftover baked potatoes on a pan with frozen brocolli, then separately fried some leftover rotisserie chicken with about half a cup of stewed beans and mushrooms.

Love it when a a bunch of random leftovers makes its own new meal.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #710 on: March 26, 2019, 02:20:24 PM »
Mississippi Style Pork Roast  https://belleofthekitchen.com/2018/06/29/mississippi-pulled-pork-recipe/

I've made this before with beef, and it's delicious but definitely heavy and not an all-the-time thing.  I like it best over egg noodles. 

Tonight's will be a bit improvised because I didn't have an au jus or onion soup mix -- substituted a bit of powdered chicken base, powdered garlic, paprika, dried parsley, and corn starch for thickness.  Also added some caramelized onions I had in the freezer for moisture and flavor.  And like twice as many pepperoncini because they get sooooo good during the cooking.

Dang, now I'm hungry!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #711 on: March 26, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »
I made a skillet dinner with diced ham, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers and potatoes, and then had air-fried asparagus on the side.  Last minute concoction since I forgot to thaw stuff out.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #712 on: March 27, 2019, 01:13:52 AM »
I found some slices of leftover entrecote in the freezer that were warmed up. Ate them with lettuce, tomatoes and pickled spruce tops (made myself last spring). Combined with a leftover piece of french bread in the oven with oil and vinegar.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #713 on: March 27, 2019, 06:28:33 AM »
Last night was shrimp, red onion, mushrooms, and red bell pepper sauteed in butter, olive oil, and Cajun seasoning, served over pasta.

Husband is hanging out with friends tonight. If I'm ambitious, I'll make a big pot of beans and some rice, which will also serve as my lunch for several days. If not, fried eggs and toast with a salad.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #714 on: March 27, 2019, 06:14:32 PM »
Another miss was trying to make a "vegan" brownie by substituting more water and oil for the 2 eggs. It became an oily gooey mass, more like fudge/icing than brownie. I'm still eating it, but it definitely needs -something if I attempt again (corn starch? apple sauce? Banana? ).   

Flax eggs!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #715 on: March 28, 2019, 01:10:58 AM »
Yesterday: Tortellini from a pack, with ham and cheese filling. Made a sauce of mushrooms, fresh vegetables and cream.

Tonight we will be driving, so we will just snack something we find in the grocery store.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #716 on: March 28, 2019, 10:13:53 AM »
Last night was shrimp, red onion, mushrooms, and red bell pepper sauteed in butter, olive oil, and Cajun seasoning, served over pasta.

Husband is hanging out with friends tonight. If I'm ambitious, I'll make a big pot of beans and some rice, which will also serve as my lunch for several days. If not, fried eggs and toast with a salad.

Here's a question. I have been eating my rice dish over several days, adding black beans. I just read that rice could have some kind of toxin or bacteria in it, that it is OK to eat the first time you eat it, and 1 more re-heating, but that's it. I was going to eat it for lunch and finish it off, but threw it out after reading this news.
Any thoughts? The main thing it sounds like, after you initially cook rice, to put it in the fridge asap versus leaving out at room temperature.
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #717 on: March 28, 2019, 10:52:15 AM »

Here's a question. I have been eating my rice dish over several days, adding black beans. I just read that rice could have some kind of toxin or bacteria in it, that it is OK to eat the first time you eat it, and 1 more re-heating, but that's it. I was going to eat it for lunch and finish it off, but threw it out after reading this news.
Any thoughts? The main thing it sounds like, after you initially cook rice, to put it in the fridge asap versus leaving out at room temperature.
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/

I've never had a problem and have been eating leftover rice my whole life. But yes, I store rice in the fridge once it's cooled enough to put it in tupperware (I don't store hot food in plastic). I also cook it in the pressure cooker so I figure that it's sterilized pretty well to start. Once it's cooked, I don't reheat the whole batch all at once; I only reheat the portion that I'm going to eat at that meal.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #718 on: March 28, 2019, 11:51:57 AM »

•Ideally, serve rice as soon as it has been cooked.
•If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within 1 hour).
•Keep rice in the fridge for no more than 1 day until reheating.
•When you reheat any rice, always check the dish is steaming hot all the way through.
•Do not reheat rice more than once.

These guidelines sound pretty extreme to me. I've cooked rice, forgotten about the leftovers on the stove, and then put it in the fridge the next morning. I've also eaten rice that's been in the fridge for at least a week. Sometimes I eat it cold from the fridge.

I think guidelines for food storage and safety lean towards being extra cautious and especially so when they come from medical organizations like the nhs.

Still, good to know that this particular bacteria can be present without an odor. My general rule is that if it smells fine it must be safe but Bacillus cereus could be an exception.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #719 on: March 28, 2019, 01:25:31 PM »
I've been eating from this rice dish for the past 4, 5 days and haven't gotten sick, so I don't know if I was just lucky or the rules are extra cautious.

I know when my daughter makes rice pudding, she definitely does not eat it in one setting but over the case of a few days. It makes it hard for me to know what to do in case of primarily rice-based foods, which I have always enjoyed as leftovers...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #720 on: March 28, 2019, 02:23:02 PM »
I've been eating from this rice dish for the past 4, 5 days and haven't gotten sick, so I don't know if I was just lucky or the rules are extra cautious.

I know when my daughter makes rice pudding, she definitely does not eat it in one setting but over the case of a few days. It makes it hard for me to know what to do in case of primarily rice-based foods, which I have always enjoyed as leftovers...

I vote for overly cautious. I think you'll be okay as long as you use good food safety practice. I mean, various cultures worldwide base dishes on leftover cooked rice.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #721 on: March 28, 2019, 03:54:38 PM »

•Ideally, serve rice as soon as it has been cooked.
•If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within 1 hour).
•Keep rice in the fridge for no more than 1 day until reheating.
•When you reheat any rice, always check the dish is steaming hot all the way through.
•Do not reheat rice more than once.

These guidelines sound pretty extreme to me. I've cooked rice, forgotten about the leftovers on the stove, and then put it in the fridge the next morning. I've also eaten rice that's been in the fridge for at least a week. Sometimes I eat it cold from the fridge.

I think guidelines for food storage and safety lean towards being extra cautious and especially so when they come from medical organizations like the nhs.

Still, good to know that this particular bacteria can be present without an odor. My general rule is that if it smells fine it must be safe but Bacillus cereus could be an exception.

I have once made myself sick from rice. I had frozen a portion. But before eating it, instead of putting it frozen in the microwave like usually, I left it to thaw in the fridge. Then I ate it 2 days later, instead of one day.
That evening I went on multiple day ski trip in the forest, with outside dry toilet. I spend a lot of the evening there on the first and second night. Washing hands in the snow. I couldn't eat food either, no appitite.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #722 on: March 28, 2019, 06:34:50 PM »
Does any one have a good fish soup recipe? 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #723 on: March 28, 2019, 07:57:17 PM »
Carnitas salads. The kids had them in tortillas

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #724 on: March 29, 2019, 09:08:23 AM »

Google Bouillabaisse. Typical ingredients are orange peel and fennel. We often use lobster soup as a basis. We also add saffran. The French eat this soup with the fish and crayfish prepared separately, fried. Then on your plate, you pour some soup over the fish. This way the fish is not overcooked. We also make rouille, which is nice on French bread or into the soup.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #725 on: March 29, 2019, 09:13:02 AM »
We are at the cabin. We bought a pack of 3 chicken breasts. Half will be eaten with broccoli and sweet potato. The other one with pepper, spring onion, tomato saus, porcini mushroom and pasta. We also got a pack of bacon slices that me go with eggs as a lunch, or in the pasta. And I got a pack of sour milk that I want to make waffle of.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #726 on: March 29, 2019, 09:58:38 AM »
I'm going to try this Budget Bytes recipe for chicken yakisoba. I figure I can't go wrong with stir-fried noodles with cabbage and toasted sesame oil.

Last night, husband turned all of the leftover rice from Wednesday into fried rice. We ate most of it and then he took the last of it to work today. So the issue of rice poisoning from that batch, at least, is moot.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #727 on: March 29, 2019, 10:06:02 AM »
Last night was Taco Thursday with company. Tonight will be burritos, using up the leftovers. Yummy and easy, yay!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #728 on: March 29, 2019, 01:36:53 PM »

Google Bouillabaisse. Typical ingredients are orange peel and fennel. We often use lobster soup as a basis. We also add saffran. The French eat this soup with the fish and crayfish prepared separately, fried. Then on your plate, you pour some soup over the fish. This way the fish is not overcooked. We also make rouille, which is nice on French bread or into the soup.

Thanks!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #729 on: March 29, 2019, 05:15:36 PM »
I just seared some chicken thighs, slathered them in homemade BBQ sauce and stuck them in the oven.  I'm steaming golden beets and will toss them in the oven in a minute too.  Lastly, some collards are braising with onion, garlic and chile flakes in the Instant Pot.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #730 on: March 29, 2019, 06:00:29 PM »
I'm making Navajo fry bread tonight, and will eat it with the leftover charro beans.  Not quite Navajo tacos, but it works.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #731 on: March 30, 2019, 12:59:40 PM »
I made diced sweet potato. Reasonably small cut broccoli. Reasonably small cut chicken. Two slices of bacon. All fried, added soy sauce, potato herbs and coriander powder to the vegetables. Added chili lime and some magic seasoning mix to the chicken and bacon. Then added all together and served. Tasted okay.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #732 on: March 30, 2019, 02:00:52 PM »
Probably sauteed chicken, onions, and bell pepper with Mexican spices, served on corn tortillas with the last of the leftover beans from Wednesday. Maybe I'll also make a new batch of beans for lunches.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #733 on: March 30, 2019, 03:34:16 PM »
Need to cook some chicken, so I'll do something with that.  Still have quite a bit of Navajo fry bread, so should do something to eat with those.

Found a recipe for cottage cheese walnut bread, so I'm going to make a loaf of that as well.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #734 on: March 30, 2019, 04:32:08 PM »
I want to use up what's left in the fridge before grocery shopping tomorrow, so it will be ham fried rice and a stirfy of random veggies for us tonight.

Thawing out a chuck roast and making pot roast tomorrow; hopefully with lots of leftovers for the week.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #735 on: March 30, 2019, 05:06:10 PM »
We spent part of the week staying at a VRBO with only a 2-burner induction cooktop, and 5 hungry people. That was interesting...
(We took cooked shredded beef, corn tortillas, shredded cheese, avocado, cabbage & carrots & vinegar for mexican slaw, and had tacos the first night. We swung by a grocery store and had rice noodles with veg and chicken in peanut sauce the second night, with cobbled-together peanut sauce. We went out for mexican the third night.)

Last night: Caldo tlalpeno, i.e. chipotle-flavored chicken-and-vegetable soup, served with cilantro, mild cheese, more chipotles, salsa, pickled red onions, and salad (the salad was not meant to go into the soup, but everything else was). Would recommend.

Tonight: Salmon, with asparagus and ... I dunno, probably rice?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #736 on: March 30, 2019, 06:02:19 PM »
^^Yum at caldo tlalpeno! I haven't made that in a while. Thanks for the inspiration!

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #737 on: March 30, 2019, 10:55:03 PM »
Our hens are laying lots of eggs so I made baked custard for dinner. Yum 😋

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #738 on: April 01, 2019, 07:22:37 AM »
Made a big aloo dal using yellow, red, and brown lentils.  I had about 1/3 a cup of each lentil type so just threw them all together.  I'm slowly getting better at simple Indian curries.  Frying mustard seeds before adding the onion, garlic, ginger, and chilis seems to make a big difference.  I love curry and I'm going to figure out how to cook it well, dammit!

Tonight I'm going to bake a chicken breast with some sweet potatoes and sautée mustard greens.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #739 on: April 03, 2019, 07:59:38 AM »
Probably sautéed Italian sausage, bell peppers, and onions over pasta. I might add a couple handfuls of chopped greens to the skillet to boost the veg/fiber content.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #740 on: April 03, 2019, 08:14:04 AM »
Lamb curry and red lentil dahl.

Tomorrow I'll make soup with the leftovers from last night's roast chicken.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #741 on: April 03, 2019, 08:27:55 AM »
Thinking about beef enchiladas. I've been buying way too much enchilada sauce lately

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #742 on: April 03, 2019, 10:29:26 AM »
Still home alone. My attempt to make falafal last night was a bit of a fail. It didn't stay into ball shape, and not in chunk shape either. Eaten that stuff today after reheating it in the oven with a lot of garlic sauce on top, followed by a leftover freezer portion of fish soup, followed by some biscuits.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #743 on: April 03, 2019, 01:59:55 PM »
Still home alone. My attempt to make falafal last night was a bit of a fail. It didn't stay into ball shape, and not in chunk shape either. Eaten that stuff today after reheating it in the oven with a lot of garlic sauce on top, followed by a leftover freezer portion of fish soup, followed by some biscuits.

I don't know what recipe you used, but I really like the one at https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/12/falafel/. You do have to start soaking the chickpeas the night before, however. And you'll need a food processor.

Tonight here: https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/04/sheet-pan-chicken-tikka/  I even have 1/3 bunch of cilantro and 1/3 bunch of parsley for decorating it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #744 on: April 03, 2019, 02:55:56 PM »

I don't know what recipe you used, but I really like the one at https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/12/falafel/. You do have to start soaking the chickpeas the night before, however. And you'll need a food processor.

I used chickpeas from a pack, no soaking required. Good idea in your recipe to use an ice scoop spoon. I used a normal spoon and I didn't use deep frying oil. I just had them in a frying pan like meatballs. Will do better next time.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #745 on: April 04, 2019, 04:31:55 PM »
Made pan fried asparagus with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

It was delicious and only cost $2.31 for 1.16 pounds. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #746 on: April 05, 2019, 08:29:43 AM »
I don’t know yet if husband is visiting his friend tonight. If yes, the contents of our fridge suggest that I should sauté zucchini and mushrooms, add a can of white beans, the last of the tomato paste, and some Greek seasonings, and top the whole mess with feta.

If he’s home tonight, I suppose I could also add a can of oil-packed tuna, which would be an acceptable “meat” content for husband’s palate.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #747 on: April 05, 2019, 09:49:31 AM »
I went through the chest freezer earlier this week and pulled out all the packages marked "soup bones" that I could find (we buy 1/2 steer each year, so we get a wide assortment of parts). Roasted them, left them in a (huge) crockpot overnight with water, shredded the meat, cooked down the stock, then put everything away.

Last night we had roasted brussels sprouts with part of the shredded meat mixed into tomato sauce with carrots and stuff, served over pasta, with a little shredded sharp chedder. It was OK.

Tonight, ??
We'll have salad, as that's the vegetable(s) in the fridge, and I'm thinking quesadillas, or a layered corn tortilla casserole. We have a strange mix of random leftovers to use up, as I grocery shop on Saturdays and I prefer to start with an empty fridge.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #748 on: April 05, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »
I warmed up a freezer portion of long cooked meat. Warmed up some chunks of frozen spinach with some cream. Fried some mushrooms that I had dried last year. Tasted pretty well.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #749 on: April 05, 2019, 12:02:09 PM »
made Mushroom Carbonara last night from this recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3cJG44VPKU (I love Bon Appetit's youtube channel!)

It was goddamn delicious. We didn't do a great job of timing having the pasta ready to go when the mushrooms and shallots were done cooking, but even without doing so it made for a pretty quick weeknight dinner. Made about 5 servings so enough for leftovers for lunch today. If you don't like the video format, the full print recipe is here: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/mushroom-carbonara