Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950124 times)

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #650 on: March 14, 2019, 08:43:58 PM »
Tonight, I made a homemade lemon basil chicken with some chicken I bought in bulk with a coupon at the warehouse store, some lemon juice, dried basil from the garden, dried oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, olive oil, and salt. I served it with some rice from the rice cooker and steamed carrots with homemade blueberry muffins for dessert. It turned out great.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #651 on: March 14, 2019, 09:07:53 PM »
Pinto beans and rice.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #652 on: March 14, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »
Spaghetti squash with a tomato/olive/sausage sauce and topped with lots of cheese and baked until brown and bubbly.

Now I have Irish cream poundcakes in the oven for tomorrow's work potluck.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #653 on: March 14, 2019, 09:28:46 PM »
Tonight's dinner was tandoori chicken and curried rice.

Last night I pulled some homemade meatballs from the freezer, made a mushroom sauce, and served them over egg noodles.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #654 on: March 14, 2019, 09:34:02 PM »
Tonight was another batch of The Frugal Girl's Thai Chicken Soup. I diced the potatoes smaller than usual to hasten the cook time. I also used the chicken I poached (somewhere upthread) and chucked in the freezer. Dessert was leftover birthday carrot cake. I am so glad that's gone.

Tomorrow is probably going to be Pad Thai, as I have everything I need to make it.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #655 on: March 15, 2019, 08:28:48 AM »
on a very strict elimination diet for pain relief right now. So, tonight's dinner is the same as every other day this week. Grilled plain chicken, on baby greens with olives, cucumbers, nutritional yeast, avocado and olive oil/lemon juice dressing. Very yummy on Monday, very boring on Friday.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #656 on: March 15, 2019, 04:47:57 PM »
Tired, so beef hot dogs and baked beans from a can.

ETA microwave s'mores for dessert.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:52:29 PM by Rural »

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #657 on: March 15, 2019, 05:51:18 PM »
Tuna strips marinated in soy-ginger sauce, served with rice and stir-fried onions and mung bean sprouts.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #658 on: March 15, 2019, 07:31:24 PM »
Scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, baked sweet potatoes.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #659 on: March 15, 2019, 09:56:17 PM »
We had dinner guests, so we ate ... "stuff that you put into a pita" might be the best description.

I read an article in the NYTimes food section a while back suggesting that for casual-ish dinners with friends, there should be an opportunity for people to play with their food/assemble things the way they like them. So we had (along with large, warmed up pita breads):
homemade falafel balls (thanks again, smitten kitchen!)
Strips of grilled chicken breast that had been marinated with garlic and lemon juice
hummus, regular and spicy (purchased)
zhaug (purchased)
lightly cooked (asparagus, small peppers cut in half, and grape tomatoes) (the tomatoes didn't look great, and it's too cold out for a ton of raw vegetables: searing everything briefly was much more weather-appropriate)
raw lettuce, lightly pickled red onion strips, lightly pickled radish slices
tzatziki (aka yogurt and shredded cucumbers, with garlic and some parsley)
kalamata olives

It was all extremely yummy, the fridge is full of leftovers, and everyone had something to do with their hands while we all chatted. Plus, the guests brought german chocolate cake!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #660 on: March 16, 2019, 01:28:29 AM »
I took a piece of reindeer meat put of the freezer to eat tonight. But we are getting a visitor tomorrow. If he wants to stay for dinner, I think we should save the reindeer for tomorrow.

In that case, we should make something vegetarian tonight. Something with cheese.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #661 on: March 16, 2019, 03:55:38 AM »
Last night cube steaks, salad and egg rolls.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #662 on: March 16, 2019, 05:05:16 AM »
jeninco - that sounds absolutely delicious.  I'm always amazed at how easy (and how mustachian) falafel is to make.  I might see if I can find some pita bread later.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #663 on: March 16, 2019, 06:06:32 AM »
Since it's Lent, I had fish last night, but it was super cheap because I had been saving some Omaha Steaks fish filets I had received as a gift around Christmas time. Easy meal. Just some fish filets, Idahoan mashed potato mix we'd had sitting in our pantry for close to a year, and some peas.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #664 on: March 16, 2019, 10:06:59 AM »
jeninco - that sounds absolutely delicious.  I'm always amazed at how easy (and how mustachian) falafel is to make.  I might see if I can find some pita bread later.

Pita bread is also shockingly easy to make. There's a link here: https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/12/falafel/

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #665 on: March 16, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »
I took a piece of reindeer meat put of the freezer to eat tonight. But we are getting a visitor tomorrow. If he wants to stay for dinner, I think we should save the reindeer for tomorrow.

In that case, we should make something vegetarian tonight. Something with cheese.

Tonight I made cauliflower salad with feta and sweet potato mash with lime juice. Saving the reindeer for tomorrow. Then we'll need to improvise some vegetable with it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #666 on: March 16, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »
We are having T-bones tonight!

Split a beef half with some co-workers (raised by friends of theirs), and this will be the first cut we try.

On the side, asparagus and roasted potatoes.  Maybe sauteed mushrooms if I get my carcass to the store.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #667 on: March 16, 2019, 01:59:48 PM »

Tonight I made cauliflower salad with feta and sweet potato mash with lime juice. Saving the reindeer for tomorrow. Then we'll need to improvise some vegetable with it.

What is reindeer meat like? Is it a roast or a steak or like hamburger? How do you make it? What does it taste like? How much does it cost per pound and it is always in the grocery stores? We have nothing like that here where I live in the USA. Once in a while I see buffalo meat and have had it maybe twice in my life as a burger. We have deer meat but not in the grocery stores typically. Mostly hunters get the deer for family and friends.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #668 on: March 16, 2019, 03:31:36 PM »

What is reindeer meat like? Is it a roast or a steak or like hamburger? How do you make it? What does it taste like? How much does it cost per pound and it is always in the grocery stores? We have nothing like that here where I live in the USA. Once in a while I see buffalo meat and have had it maybe twice in my life as a burger. We have deer meat but not in the grocery stores typically. Mostly hunters get the deer for family and friends.

Reindeer has a distinct taste of wild, red meat. In Norway it is typically sold in areas where tame reindeer are kept. This portion came from Sweden from the frozen department. What we have now is beef, the next best type of beef (I don't know the English name for it). It is a thin portion.

We will prepare it like a normal steak, browning on both sides and then in the oven on low temperature the inner part reaches 62C. Reindeer is also sold in small slices, which you can use in a stew. It is typically served with veggies like Brussels sprouts and potatoes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #669 on: March 16, 2019, 04:28:14 PM »
Husband is currently braising corned beef. I think he's planning to serve it with colcannon. The house smells reeeeally good.

Update: he did make colcannon. That was a really good dinner. Even the cat enjoyed cleaning up a couple little pieces of corned beef that fell on the floor.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:14:04 PM by OtherJen »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #670 on: March 17, 2019, 05:56:49 AM »

Reindeer has a distinct taste of wild, red meat. In Norway it is typically sold in areas where tame reindeer are kept. This portion came from Sweden from the frozen department. What we have now is beef, the next best type of beef (I don't know the English name for it). It is a thin portion.

We will prepare it like a normal steak, browning on both sides and then in the oven on low temperature the inner part reaches 62C. Reindeer is also sold in small slices, which you can use in a stew. It is typically served with veggies like Brussels sprouts and potatoes.

I've never even thought about Reindeer meet or seen it offered anywhere but why not!  Wonder if can even find it here. Going to have to research that one.

Tonight i picked up some pretty big Turkey legs so going to do something with those. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #671 on: March 17, 2019, 06:06:19 AM »
Last night had leftover cube steaks in a creamy mushroom gravy, roasted rosemary taters and a salad.

Tonight is corned beef, cabbage, carrots, onions, little red taters cooked in the crockpot.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #672 on: March 17, 2019, 08:04:07 AM »

I've never even thought about Reindeer meet or seen it offered anywhere but why not!  Wonder if can even find it here. Going to have to research that one.

Tonight i picked up some pretty big Turkey legs so going to do something with those.

Look for a specialty meat store. My friends live in mid-Michigan, and we’ve bought frozen elk meat and venison at a specialty store near them. I don’t remember but wouldn’t be surprised to find reindeer meet there.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #673 on: March 17, 2019, 08:33:47 PM »
The on-sale sausages from our grocery store, which were billed as "Guiness bratwurst". And "colcannon", which is in quotes because my version uses potatoes (cook them first, then mash) cabbage (cook in a skillet until about half done) and a bunch of sharp cheddar. Mush everything up together, put in a hot, oiled skillet, cook on one side, then stick under the broiler until browned on the top.

Also a version of a french chocolate-yogurt cake. Yum!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #674 on: March 18, 2019, 01:13:19 PM »

Reindeer's scientific name is Rangifer tarandus tarandus, the same basic species as caribou, but both are different subspecies. It might taste quite similar to caribou species.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #675 on: March 18, 2019, 02:28:03 PM »
Stir fry:  shrimp & veggies.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #676 on: March 18, 2019, 03:42:29 PM »
Hopefully, spaghetti squash with tomato/ground beef sauce.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #677 on: March 18, 2019, 04:15:24 PM »
Using some more stuff I have sitting around in the freezer and pantry, I'm making chicken-fried steak, mashed potatoes, and steamed vegetables. Should be some pleasant comfort food.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #678 on: March 18, 2019, 08:36:38 PM »
Tacos! Better get a move on though, it's getting late. Thankfully I batch cooked the beef a couple of weeks ago and still have two left. Alas, my MIL* ate all the tomatoes off the fruit/veg stand on the kitchen counter, so salsa will be the extent of our tomato experience tonight.

* She has Alz, in case you don't already know that. At least I didn't find any half eaten ones in her underwear drawer this time. Yet.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #679 on: March 18, 2019, 08:43:57 PM »
Tacos! Better get a move on though, it's getting late. Thankfully I batch cooked the beef a couple of weeks ago and still have two left. Alas, my MIL* ate all the tomatoes off the fruit/veg stand on the kitchen counter, so salsa will be the extent of our tomato experience tonight.

* She has Alz, in case you don't already know that. At least I didn't find any half eaten ones in her underwear drawer this time. Yet.

The half-eaten one is for the cooked salsa! (Or the compost pile...)

We had chili. Rounded out with some tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sliced radishes, and carrot/cabbage slaw. I tried cooking the beans with kombu (sp?) this time, to save us from having half the family gas out the other half. I seriously do not want to be in a car with my youngest the day after a bean-heavy meal.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #680 on: March 19, 2019, 07:40:24 AM »
grilled salmon on top of a giant salad of lettuce, cucumber, mushrooms, olives, avocado, nutritional yeast, and carrot. Yum!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #681 on: March 19, 2019, 11:52:28 PM »
Made pizza and salad. All gone.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #682 on: March 20, 2019, 01:18:50 AM »
DH made fish soup from water, coconut milk, frozen vegetables and flavour stuff. Served with fresh bread and the half full bottle of white wine that we had left. Tasted good.

If it is my turn tonight, I will make pasta with cream, blue cheese and spinach.

Edit: There was not so much spinach, so I added some carrots and porcini.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 02:10:02 AM by Linea_Norway »

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: March 20, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »
In honor of St. Patrick's Day, this week I made loaded baked potato soup: red potatoes, onion and broccoli diced and simmered in chicken stock, thickened with a roux of flour and butter. Serve topped with bacon, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #684 on: March 20, 2019, 09:29:14 AM »
I don't make it a point to eat traditional foods for the holidays, but I do tend to base meals around the best sales of the week. Which is why we've been eating corned beef, potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage every night since Sunday.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #685 on: March 20, 2019, 07:11:51 PM »
Costco rotisserie chicken, leftover spaghetti squash with butter, and roasted fractal broccoli (aka romanesco).

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #686 on: March 20, 2019, 07:23:10 PM »
I had to take a day off from work today, so I had a little more time to prepare dinner: Polynesian-style pork chops with cinnamon applesauce and a loaf of homemade apple cinnamon bread. And an episode of "Daredevil" on Netflix. :-)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #687 on: March 20, 2019, 09:42:51 PM »
@Dicey, you are very welcome! I'm vegetarian so I use low sodium veg broth and that came out well too. Using good paprika, and enough of it, helps. I was using smoked paprika in it before, but this time I only had the cheap shit from Aldi in the house and it wasn't quite as good. Still a great hearty meal on a cold night.
I only had regular paprika, so that could be the difference. I'll add smoked paprika to my shopping list. Lol, I've been a vegetarian for 30 years. When I got married and suddenly started cooking for a family of four adult-sized humans, three of whom are meat eaters, I admit, I relaxed my standards a bit. I use meat stock occasionally. I had lo-so beef stock in the pantry that was well past the alleged expiration date, so I just grabbed it and ignored the fact that it wasn't vegetarian. We all love mushrooms, so I'm sure this recipe will stay in our rotation. Thanks again, @Tris Prior!

I can confirm that smoked paprika is delightful. I had no idea how much of a difference it would make.
I made this again this time with the smoked paprika. It made enough of a difference to warrant the purchase of a specific single-recipe spice. Though now that I have it, I'm sure Ill find other uses for it.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #688 on: March 21, 2019, 10:15:35 AM »
@Dicey, you are very welcome! I'm vegetarian so I use low sodium veg broth and that came out well too. Using good paprika, and enough of it, helps. I was using smoked paprika in it before, but this time I only had the cheap shit from Aldi in the house and it wasn't quite as good. Still a great hearty meal on a cold night.
I only had regular paprika, so that could be the difference. I'll add smoked paprika to my shopping list. Lol, I've been a vegetarian for 30 years. When I got married and suddenly started cooking for a family of four adult-sized humans, three of whom are meat eaters, I admit, I relaxed my standards a bit. I use meat stock occasionally. I had lo-so beef stock in the pantry that was well past the alleged expiration date, so I just grabbed it and ignored the fact that it wasn't vegetarian. We all love mushrooms, so I'm sure this recipe will stay in our rotation. Thanks again, @Tris Prior!

I can confirm that smoked paprika is delightful. I had no idea how much of a difference it would make.
I made this again this time with the smoked paprika. It made enough of a difference to warrant the purchase of a specific single-recipe spice. Though now that I have it, I'm sure Ill find other uses for it.

Smoked paprika and/or alleppo pepper flakes make their way into many, many things I cook, including most everything containing tomatoes or eggs.

I'm out of ideas, and the older kid won't be home for dinner tonight, so I defrosted a tub of baked giant white beans in tomato sauce with feta (I'll reheat it in the oven) with a parsley-lemon sauce that gets drizzled over. (I kept the jar of parsley sauce in the freezer next to the beans.) We'll have it with toast (or a baguette) and salad.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #689 on: March 21, 2019, 11:58:12 AM »

I mix it with salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder and use that as a seasoning for roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes or chicken, fish, or pork.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #690 on: March 21, 2019, 12:20:38 PM »
Kidney beans, lentils, tomato, minced meat, red pepper, squash, taco spices.
It tasted good.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #691 on: March 21, 2019, 12:56:33 PM »

I mix it with salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder and use that as a seasoning for roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes or chicken, fish, or pork.
Thanks! I'll try that soon as I have potatoes to use up.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #692 on: March 22, 2019, 08:06:39 AM »
It was raining all day yesterday so I put on a big pot of from-scratch marinara.  There's nothing like the smell and warmth of a big pot of red sauce to warm my bones.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #693 on: March 22, 2019, 08:15:58 AM »
Baked salmon and stuck-pot rice with lentils and yogurt.

I have a bag of baby eggplants so maybe I'll roast some of those, too.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #694 on: March 22, 2019, 01:17:19 PM »
Home made pizza.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #695 on: March 22, 2019, 09:47:32 PM »
Home made pizza.

Us too! And salad.

We made the kind that somewhat cleaned out the fridge, so the last one was pesto, ham slivers, and havarti with an egg cracked on the top when it was about half baked.  (The first one was marinara, and they got weirder from there.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #696 on: March 23, 2019, 06:27:26 PM »
Egg roll in a bowl for the adults. Same topping, wrapped in a tortilla for another kid. Unclear what youngest will eat when he comes back from soccer. If he doesn't eat the "menu" item, he has to cook for himself.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #697 on: March 23, 2019, 06:39:11 PM »
Homemade chicken noodle soup.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #698 on: March 23, 2019, 06:49:07 PM »
Chef salad, more or less. With chicken and no eggs.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #699 on: March 23, 2019, 06:53:09 PM »
Just got home from a week of traveling.  It's raining.  Made chicken vegetable soup using some of a chipotle salsa paste leftover from a recipe.  Baked up the second half of a brown-and-serve baguette that's been in the freezer for a few weeks and put plenty of butter on it.  Just what I needed after eating out of hotel fridge and restaurants all week.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!