Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950064 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #600 on: March 06, 2019, 04:41:11 AM »
If not my DH is already cooking, I will prepare duck breast fillet with porcini risotto and spinach.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:46:56 AM by Linda_Norway »

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #601 on: March 06, 2019, 04:52:10 AM »
Tonight Pork Carnitas!

Got a pork butt on sale for $.99 a pound.  Split it into two vacuum seal bags with marinade.  Froze one for later, sous vided the other for 12 hours at 185.  I'll shred and broil it for dinner tonight.

Recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/sous-vide-carnitas-crispy-mexican-style-pulled-pork-recipe.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 04:54:19 AM by davisgang90 »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #602 on: March 06, 2019, 01:30:33 PM »
Spiced beef with butternut squash and braised collards.  I had half a squash left and had to travel last week so I broke it down enough to fit in a 1/2 gallon canning jar, then vacuum sealed it.  It looks like it's still good, about 11 days later.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #603 on: March 06, 2019, 10:16:52 PM »
A yummy potato, white bean, broccoli, kalamata olive and tomato casserole (cook everything as appropriate, mix it together with some pepper flakes and alleppo peppers and layer with grated munster cheese).

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #604 on: March 07, 2019, 05:45:26 AM »
Chicken tinga tacos again.  They were a hit the first time, and super easy to make, so the chicken is simmering away in the crockpot this morning and I'll shred it when I get home from work.  No lettuce this time, so I'll probably throw in a random frozen veggie as a side dish.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #605 on: March 07, 2019, 06:27:26 AM »
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken with Black Beans and Corn with cheese and cilantro, green onions.

Have not made it before and not sure I really want to put it over rice but what else can I put it over? Pasta? Baked potatoes?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #606 on: March 07, 2019, 06:47:15 AM »
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken with Black Beans and Corn with cheese and cilantro, green onions.

Have not made it before and not sure I really want to put it over rice but what else can I put it over? Pasta? Baked potatoes?

I think it would be good with any of those starches. If it isn’t too liquid, you could also put it in tortillas.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #607 on: March 07, 2019, 06:58:06 AM »

I think it would be good with any of those starches. If it isn’t too liquid, you could also put it in tortillas.

Tortillas sound good too, however I have none. Since this is the first time making it, maybe I will stick with rice. The hub is the rice maker so will give him that chore. Maybe I will put the leftovers on pasta or taters.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #608 on: March 07, 2019, 07:21:36 AM »

Tortillas sound good too, however I have none. Since this is the first time making it, maybe I will stick with rice. The hub is the rice maker so will give him that chore. Maybe I will put the leftovers on pasta or taters.

We often crumble cornbread into our similar recipe.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #609 on: March 07, 2019, 08:04:53 AM »

Oh, that sounds awesome! Love cornbread! I do have that on hand!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #610 on: March 07, 2019, 12:25:11 PM »

Oh, that sounds awesome! Love cornbread! I do have that on hand!

I was also inspired as I've just made cornbread and put on the crockpot. By the way, a secret that would have my grandmother turning in her grave if she knew:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/213605/5-minute-microwave-cornbread/

This never gets crispy, of course, but for crumbling into a stew it doesn't matter at all.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:27:01 PM by Rural »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #611 on: March 07, 2019, 03:03:48 PM »
Stromboli and salad.
(Actually, it's Scaccia: https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/01/stromboli/)

Hoping for leftovers we can take skiing this weekend. I may have to fight the teenagers for that, even though I'm making a double recipe.

(Edited for typo.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:29:25 PM by jeninco »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #612 on: March 07, 2019, 03:46:23 PM »
Chicken noodle soup, with meat and stock made from a Costco rotisserie chicken.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #613 on: March 07, 2019, 04:52:58 PM »
Got a deal on some orange marinaded skinless chicken cut up for fajitas. Over 3 pounds for $2. Cooked it up with some diced onion, blended in some jasmine rice, a bit of spices (tumeric, garam masala, a touch of garlic, and salt). Holy moly it is good. And have enough to feed two adults for the next 2+ days (but I am perfectly happy eating tasty things for all meals until it's gone).

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #614 on: March 07, 2019, 08:54:51 PM »
Last night, the offspring roasted a duck, stuffing the cavity with onion, garlic, lemon, and who knows what else.

Tonight, I wanted quick and easy (since I've been up since 2:30).  Cut up a couple chicken breasts into 3 strips each, coated each strip with cajun seasoning, then wrapped in bacon.  Cooked for half an hour, then broiled it for a few minutes to make the bacon crispy.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #615 on: March 08, 2019, 05:02:33 AM »
Pasta with blue cheese, cream and some veggied.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #616 on: March 08, 2019, 06:07:48 AM »

This came out awesome! I followed most of the directions, see changes below. Cooked it on high for 4 hours and chicken came out perfect. We had it over rice like recipe calls for. Used lots of fresh cilantro and sliced scallions on top. Plus, a dollop of sour cream. I have a lot leftover, YAY!

Taco chicken bowls: https://www.budgetbytes.com/taco-chicken-bowls/?mbid=nl_fig_09152015_daily&cndid=27683808

The changes I made:
I used one 15 oz can or corn, not frozen
I added one chopped onion to the slow cooker
I used Ghost Pepper salsa so it was hotter than most people like.
Added my cheese to the slow cooker after chicken was shredded plus added more cheese than recipe called for.
Added a dollop of sour cream on top of each bowl.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #617 on: March 08, 2019, 08:03:13 AM »

This came out awesome! I followed most of the directions, see changes below. Cooked it on high for 4 hours and chicken came out perfect. We had it over rice like recipe calls for. Used lots of fresh cilantro and sliced scallions on top. Plus, a dollop of sour cream. I have a lot leftover, YAY!

Taco chicken bowls: https://www.budgetbytes.com/taco-chicken-bowls/?mbid=nl_fig_09152015_daily&cndid=27683808

The changes I made:
I used one 15 oz can or corn, not frozen
I added one chopped onion to the slow cooker
I used Ghost Pepper salsa so it was hotter than most people like.
Added my cheese to the slow cooker after chicken was shredded plus added more cheese than recipe called for.
Added a dollop of sour cream on top of each bowl.

Yum! I’ve had good luck with that website. I’ll try this one soon.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #618 on: March 08, 2019, 07:56:23 PM »
This week, it's huevos rancheros: lightly toasted corn tortillas, spread with refried beans, topped with a fried egg, salsa and a sprinkling of cotija cheese. Breakfast for dinner, yum.

Avocado slices would be traditional, but they're $2 each at my supermarket and I'm waiting for the price to come down to something reasonable.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #619 on: March 08, 2019, 08:17:28 PM »
I'm sore and exhausted.  Does salted caramel hot chocolate count as dinner?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #620 on: March 08, 2019, 09:44:18 PM »

Oh wow, that sounds amazing.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #621 on: March 09, 2019, 03:25:12 AM »
Last night we had Salmon again for the second time this week. Its been seafood special week at our store so been nice to have. Was delicious. Today will be food on the road for dinner as were traveling all day and probably not getting home till late. Will need to pick some healthy choices.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #622 on: March 09, 2019, 01:57:46 PM »
We had chicken and veggies with taci spices, in wraps, in the oven with grated cheese on top.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #623 on: March 09, 2019, 03:13:28 PM »
Dinner tonight is homemade pizza with dough from the bread machine and turkey pepperoni. I had to use store-bought pizza sauce because we ran out of homemade pizza sauce from our garden vegetables, but I did use organic basil from last summer's garden.

And during dinner we're watching "The Umbrella Academy" on Netflix which stars Ellen Page who is just adorable. I know she doesn't like when people say that, but it doesn't make it any less true.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #624 on: March 09, 2019, 04:42:03 PM »
Tonight is a rare pizza delivery night. My daughter has been at a gymnastics meet all day and swept first place in all her events which also places her as the front runner for a spot on the all-state team. My son spent 6 hours doing merit badge work for Boy Scouts. Pizza will be a nice treat for everyone!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #625 on: March 09, 2019, 08:06:23 PM »
Wow @MasterStache - congrats to both kids!

We had Creamy Tuscan Chicken - https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a19636089/creamy-tuscan-chicken-recipe/

I had my portion with wine.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #626 on: March 09, 2019, 08:39:54 PM »
Dinner tonight is homemade pizza with dough from the bread machine and turkey pepperoni. I had to use store-bought pizza sauce because we ran out of homemade pizza sauce from our garden vegetables, but I did use organic basil from last summer's garden.

And during dinner we're watching "The Umbrella Academy" on Netflix which stars Ellen Page who is just adorable. I know she doesn't like when people say that, but it doesn't make it any less true.

She's great in that role, isn't she? We've also been enjoying Umbrella Academy.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #627 on: March 09, 2019, 08:41:06 PM »
We had a hurried dinner of leftovers before meeting friends to see Captain Marvel (highly recommended, by the way).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #628 on: March 10, 2019, 12:46:16 AM »
Worked on the flip house until 9:15, then hurried to Home Depot to get some needed supplies. Closed the place at 10:00. Home by 10:20, Mac 'n Cheese made by 10:40. Dinner scarfed down and dishes done by 11:10. Ugh, what a long day!

Tomorrow we have a midday memorial service :-( and then a birthday party for all the March birthday people :-). This means no cooking for me tomorrow and no work on the house either. Yay!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #629 on: March 10, 2019, 06:17:00 AM »
Wow @MasterStache - congrats to both kids!

We had Creamy Tuscan Chicken - https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a19636089/creamy-tuscan-chicken-recipe/

I had my portion with wine.

Thanks! Very proud dad moments.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #630 on: March 10, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »
Just threw this in the crockpot:

https://www.budgetbytes.com/slow-cooker-sesame-beef/

The cooking sauce is somewhat similar to what I have used in the past for crockpot-braised beef ribs, but a little less elaborate/fussy.  I got a large chuck roast for $3.49/lb so 2/3 of that was cut into medium size slabs and went into the crock pot, and the remaining 1lb or so was sliced and frozen -- I'll make the oven fajita recipe (one tray chicken, one tray beef) sometime later this week.  With leftovers of both meals, that one $11-12 hunk of beef should make 3-4 meals for 4 people.  PRetty good deal.

This is seriously one of my favorite pot roast meals. I always steam some broccoli florets and mix those in at the end.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #631 on: March 10, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »
arroz con pollo - hopefully it works out ok.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #632 on: March 10, 2019, 01:19:09 PM »
Entrecote, broccoli and rösti potato, amd meat sauce.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #633 on: March 10, 2019, 03:44:02 PM »
Black beans and rice.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #634 on: March 10, 2019, 07:16:56 PM »
Finally getting around to making Julia Moskin's black bean soup; hopefully it's good because there's a ton of it: https://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/how-to-make-the-best-black-bean-soup/

I also have one of my best-yet sourdough loaves about to come out of the oven.  It will be slathered generously with butter.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #635 on: March 10, 2019, 08:24:34 PM »
I made "crack chicken", which is chicken, cream cheese & various ranch like seasonings in the crock pot. I served ours inside avocado 1/2s. My husband ate several. I switched to rolled in lettuce wraps, to keep the calories in check. It was delicious. My 13 year old, who is most definitely not worried about carbs, ate it lots of different ways, including in a tortilla.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #636 on: March 11, 2019, 02:56:15 AM »
We have a (potentially large) portion of Slow-cooked entrecote in small pieces. I thinking about serving it with rice, some sauce and probably Brussels sprouts. But I come to think of that we have a bag of cut up cabbage in the freezer. I could fry this and serve with potatoes (meshed) and curry. We usually eat such a dish with minced meat. But it could of course also be eaten with the entrecote.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #637 on: March 11, 2019, 04:52:20 AM »
The arroz con pollo was delicious - I used this recipe and recommend it:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2019/03/06/arroz-con-pollo-is-the-cuban-comfort-dish-that-lifts-rice-to-its-full-potential/

It was good as I managed to use up some chicken I got on sale and some saffron threads that a friend gave me when she moved away.  The kids weren't into the rice part so I made them some plain white rice that they ate with the chicken.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #638 on: March 11, 2019, 08:10:44 AM »
I've been on a big mushroom kick.  Nearly forgot about a 1/2 pound bag of creminis I had in the fridge, so I sautéed them and added them to a marinara sauce I had simmering for a couple hours.  Kept sneaking back into the kitchen to eat a spoonful of just the sauce.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #639 on: March 11, 2019, 03:24:08 PM »
Rice & bean quesadillas with shredded cheese, corn, and salsa.
Cooked with love and frugality.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #640 on: March 11, 2019, 04:03:08 PM »
Macaroni and cheese from scratch, per husband's request.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #641 on: March 11, 2019, 05:42:01 PM »
Tortellini and green bean salad, with a tomato-based "pesto". Tasty at room temperature, which is how we'll be eating it (in shifts) and goes well with wine!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #642 on: March 13, 2019, 02:29:20 AM »
I think it will be chicory with blue cheese and something potato-ish. As this week's veggie dish.
Tomorrow we will warm up left-over homemade pizza from the freezer, as DH and I will be home on very different times.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #643 on: March 13, 2019, 04:55:12 AM »
Last night made two oven bakes small chickens, stuffing and a veggie. Place I buy most my groceries from the whole Chickens were only 3$ and now have some leftovers for lunch today.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #644 on: March 13, 2019, 07:23:48 AM »
Last night was a chicken and rice bake. Tonight, husband works until 7 and I have a big workload so we’ll probably have a frozen pizza and salad.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #645 on: March 13, 2019, 01:39:45 PM »
We're on the west edge of "Snowmageddon" (spoiler: Its snowing. Really, our schools could've stayed open: it's not that bad. We get snow in the winter here...), so I'm making a sort-of cassoulet-style bean stew (with sausages and lots of veggies), toast or homemade croutons, and probably a salad.

Perhaps I'll also make a whole-orange cake, since we're all home for the day and it's an excuse to bake a cake.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #646 on: March 13, 2019, 02:41:16 PM »
Ravioli, meat sauce, meatballs and salad.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #647 on: March 13, 2019, 04:42:27 PM »
Alton Brown's Swedish Meatballs, noodles, broccoli, salad.  Current me is very happy that past me made a huge batch of meatballs!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #648 on: March 13, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »
Alton Brown's Swedish Meatballs, noodles, broccoli, salad.  Current me is very happy that past me made a huge batch of meatballs!

Oh, this reminds me that I have a bunch in the freezer!  Now I know what I'm eating for dinner (yeah, at 9 pm...)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #649 on: March 13, 2019, 09:55:56 PM »

Oh wow, that sounds amazing.

It was good, especially for an instant mix.  Stephen's brand cocoa was on sale for $2.50, down from $7, so it was a good deal.  Kind of wish I had bought a few more containers.