Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950053 times)

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #550 on: February 26, 2019, 04:04:27 PM »
peanut noodles, stir-fried onion and pepper, salt-and-pepper tofu. Never done this before so fingers crossed that MrKat and I both like it :)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #551 on: February 26, 2019, 06:21:52 PM »
Chicken milanesa, marinara sauce, spaghetti squash, and roasted romanesco (aka "fractal broccoli," per my husband).

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #552 on: February 26, 2019, 09:06:50 PM »
Chicken milanesa, marinara sauce, spaghetti squash, and roasted romanesco (aka "fractal broccoli," per my husband).
I'm pleased to hear that we're not the only dorks around doing that (the "fractal Broccoli" part).

We had the smitten kitchen sausage, lentil, and kale soup, with slightly toasted fresh really good bread (from a store, alas)

Tomorrow is my older kid's 18th birthday, and he requested blueberry pie. I'll add grilled salmon, asparagus, probably smash potatoes, and probably pan-fried kale.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #553 on: February 26, 2019, 09:45:46 PM »
I'm pleased to hear that we're not the only dorks around doing that (the "fractal Broccoli" part).

We had the smitten kitchen sausage, lentil, and kale soup, with slightly toasted fresh really good bread (from a store, alas)

Tomorrow is my older kid's 18th birthday, and he requested blueberry pie. I'll add grilled salmon, asparagus, probably smash potatoes, and probably pan-fried kale.

We are giant dorks over here. I’m not sure that husband even knows the correct name for romanesco.

Smitten Kitchen is so good. I think my family and friends would revolt if I didn’t make her seven-layer cookies at Christmas. I also highly recommend her stuck-pot rice with lentils (although add 3-5 minutes to the lentil and rice boiling times). That soup has everything we like and is going on my list.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #554 on: February 27, 2019, 03:09:46 AM »
Last night I made sliced Turkey Breast with a lowfat gravy and also I made mashed mixed Yams with a few white Russets potatoes. Steamed mix veggies.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #555 on: February 27, 2019, 03:22:44 AM »
ANYBODY HELP ME OUT!

I really need to get more fish In my diet but for lack of term I am kinda scared to make it. I am one of those that if I get one bone I am done. I do like Salmon but its so expensive what is a price a good price to pay for it? Then I do Like Mahi Tuna steaks and some what fish but NOT Tilapia. I have read to many articles on Tilapia so I will not eat.

I am looking for help in the way of easy stove top or oven baked health ways to cook the above Fish or other suggestion as well as what you think might be a good price per lbs. Comments on frozen or fresh tricks etc...

I attached a link to the place I buy my meats. This week is supposedly seafood specials which I still find High BUT if they have it its going to be the best around. The butcher there is the best and I get most of my dry goods at Aldis. Anyhow any help in this area would be great as I dont know whats a good price etc....

https://www.shopthepig.com/flyers#/88745/print

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #556 on: February 27, 2019, 04:30:37 AM »
ANYBODY HELP ME OUT!

I really need to get more fish In my diet but for lack of term I am kinda scared to make it. I am one of those that if I get one bone I am done. I do like Salmon but its so expensive what is a price a good price to pay for it? Then I do Like Mahi Tuna steaks and some what fish but NOT Tilapia. I have read to many articles on Tilapia so I will not eat.

I am looking for help in the way of easy stove top or oven baked health ways to cook the above Fish or other suggestion as well as what you think might be a good price per lbs. Comments on frozen or fresh tricks etc...

I attached a link to the place I buy my meats. This week is supposedly seafood specials which I still find High BUT if they have it its going to be the best around. The butcher there is the best and I get most of my dry goods at Aldis. Anyhow any help in this area would be great as I dont know whats a good price etc....

Fish is expensive for sure. This summer we got fresh (not frozen) swordfish for $9.99 a lb. It is so easy to cook. We have a stove top grill pan with ridges we butter up then 'grill' the fish on it. You can also broil it. Get yourself a meat thermometer and find out what temp fish should be. Butter and lemon is your friend with fish. We also like sea scallops, fresh, not frozen. Rinse them off and dry them with a cloth or paper towels. You can also grill them or cook with butter in a non stick skillet. My husband is a bone magnet and if there is one bone he seems to always get it and it gags him. Costco has canned salmon. It is really nice stuff. You can find a recipe and make salmon patties. Let them firm up in the fridge then spray the bottom with Pam spray then air fry or pan fry. You can also take the canned salmon, mix with mayo, onion, celery, hot sauce, spices put over a salad.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #557 on: February 27, 2019, 06:55:23 AM »
ANYBODY HELP ME OUT!

I like to bake fish in the oven, I think it's less hassle than stovetop.  For thinner fillets, place the fillets on a baking sheet (I prefer one with raised sides to avoid drips).  Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, sprinkle garlic powder, salt, pepper, and dill on top.  If you don't like dill, use marjoram, sage, or another herb.  Bake at 350F for 12-14 minutes.  Fish is done when you stick a fork in and gently turn the fork, and the fish flakes apart.  You can also replace the olive oil with butter if you prefer, and try different herb combinations.

For thicker fillets, like tuna and swordfish, I prefer to marinate them before baking.  Make a mixture of sesame oil, soy sauce, and a dash of rice wine vinegar.  Season fillets with ground ginger, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.  Soak the fillets in the liquids for a hew hours (as long as you have, basically), then bake in a covered dish (tinfoil over a pan is fine) at 350F for 15-20 min depending on the thickness.  Test doneness same as above.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #558 on: February 27, 2019, 07:26:23 AM »
Tonight we are having a turkey breast cooked in a Reynolds cooking bag in the oven. I will put onion and celery in the bag and oil the top of the breast. Will be delish! Got the breasts the other day. They were on sale for $1.49 a lb. I used to get them for $0.99 a lb. but have not see that low of a price in ages. I bought 5 of them. There was a coupon to buy one breast for $0.99 a lb. but all the others were $1.49 a lb. I still have a whole turkey that  is 15 lbs. in the freezer and that one cost me $0.39 a lb.! Bought it at Thanksgiving and will cook it in a few months.

OH, don't forget St. Patrick's day is right around the corner. Time to buy corned beef. I usually buy two big ones and cook one up for SPD and then the other one a month later! Drool!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #559 on: February 27, 2019, 10:09:53 AM »
ANYBODY HELP ME OUT!

The key to fish is to not use super high heat to cook it.  Otherwise you end up with cooked bottom/top and raw middle.  Medium heat is your friend.  If you're going try to sear it, save that for the end. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #560 on: February 27, 2019, 12:16:44 PM »
Check out fishcakes. Here in Norway they sell them in the shops, but you might have to make them yourselves. They are easy to prepare, just like a hamburger.

I am making a sort of bread cake from old whole grain bread stumps. Currently I am soaking it in eggs and milk. I am going to add some leftover broccoli and a leftover sausage in slices. And I'll add some pepper, mushroom and courgette.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #561 on: February 28, 2019, 02:33:44 AM »
Thanks @Linda_Norway , @tyort1 and @Raenia ! Probably give it a shot tonight. If I cook anymore chicken or Turkey I think my family is going to grow wings. Last night I made Chicken Quarters, Ravioli with Marinara and Mixed Veggies.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #562 on: February 28, 2019, 09:16:23 AM »
Making chicken with veggies in the crock pot tonight - it will likely be tomorrow's supper as well.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #563 on: February 28, 2019, 10:24:01 AM »
A few of us are having chili from the freezer. My husband can't eat beans, so he'll have carnitas + veggies

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #564 on: February 28, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »
I really liked the Salmon and it was Fresh not Frozen so I was able to get a good Sum of it and it had really good color. So I am going to make that tonight, Fresh asparagus that also is on sale right now a large tossed salad loaded with Veggies and just a small side of Linguine Alfredo since that was on sale as well.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #565 on: February 28, 2019, 12:56:52 PM »
Soccer season is starting up this week, although the time change hasn't happened yet. So both kids have 4:30 - 6 practices in slightly different places, and one has a different sports class 7 - 8:30.  I think we're having roasted cauliflower salad with pasta and a vegetarian marinara + artichoke heart sauce.  It'll have to be ready right at 6, so kid2 can swing through, eat something, then swing out.

Hmm, there's not much protein in that dinner. I may re-assess: perhaps I'll toss some ground beef into the sauce. Quasi-bolognaise, perhaps?

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #566 on: February 28, 2019, 02:26:27 PM »
Buying a bag of arborio rice to make a mushroom risotto for a friend tonight.  I'll likely have plenty of dry rice leftover, though.  Any ideas for recipes that use this kind of rice that isn't risotto?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #567 on: February 28, 2019, 09:51:18 PM »
Buying a bag of arborio rice to make a mushroom risotto for a friend tonight.  I'll likely have plenty of dry rice leftover, though.  Any ideas for recipes that use this kind of rice that isn't risotto?

Honestly, I’d just cook it like any other rice. Although, I think it would make good rice pudding.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #568 on: February 28, 2019, 10:05:11 PM »

Arancini! The best part is that you can easily switch up the flavor profile. I work in a restaurant and we frequently make arancini for our amuse bouche.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #569 on: February 28, 2019, 11:24:23 PM »
I usher at our local theater and love doing the kids programs. Today's program was, "Dragons Love Tacos", so of course dinner was tacos. Tomorrow will probably be burritos, because I have a bunch of almost too-ripe tomatoes to use up,

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #570 on: March 01, 2019, 12:40:24 AM »
Tonight was beef and noodles, along with some cheese-stuffed bacon-wrapped peppers I pulled from the freezer.  Will need to make them again with this year's harvest, as many as I can.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #571 on: March 01, 2019, 02:33:47 AM »
For the Fishy people that helped me out......The Salmon turned out FABULOUS! and so simple.  So thats one fish I dont need to back away from. Next one I am going to get before next Wednesday since that is when the sale ends is the Tuna steaks.  Not sure yet what i am going to make tonight being a Friday.......Sick of cooking!!!!

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #572 on: March 01, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »

Arancini! The best part is that you can easily switch up the flavor profile. I work in a restaurant and we frequently make arancini for our amuse bouche.

Ohhhh good idea!

And rice pudding was one of my favorite deserts as a kid, but I haven't had it in years!  Great ideas guys, thanks!

Risotto came out great by the way.  Made it with creminis and zucchini and a simple white wine/vegetable broth.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #573 on: March 01, 2019, 10:28:40 AM »
We're rolling into soccer (and other after-school activity) season, and I need more ideas of dinners that can either be served at room-temperature (like big dinner salads, see below) or that can cook themselves (I can program the oven to start at a specific time, then I just need the first person home to take the dish out). Or stew-y things that will cook in a crockpot.

Oddly, baked mac-n-cheese does not work well as the second kind, because if you let it sit in the oven for a while (before the timed start) the pasta soaks up all the cheese sauce and the result is strangely dry.

I have some ideas, but would love more thoughts:
Nicoise salad (potatoes, green beans, fish, and loads of other stuff including olives and anchovies)
a German-inspired version of the idea of Nicoise salad (so red cabbage, potatoes, sliced sausage, mustard vinaigrette)
A veggie casserole that's potatoes, white beans, broccoli, black olives, garlic-y tomato sauce and munster cheese layers
enchilada casseroles (with salad or a cabbage/carrot/rice wine vinegar slaw)
giant white bean bake with toast and green salad (via Smitten Kitchen)
beef stew (with appropriate sides)

This list looks very potato-heavy. Pasta (unless it's baked) is probably out because of the no-last-minute requirement. Other ideas? I'd love for some of these dinners to be vegetarian, and I can prep stuff during the day, as I work at home. We also have a rice cooker...

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #574 on: March 01, 2019, 10:49:20 AM »
We're rolling into soccer (and other after-school activity) season, and I need more ideas of dinners that can either be served at room-temperature (like big dinner salads, see below) or that can cook themselves (I can program the oven to start at a specific time, then I just need the first person home to take the dish out). Or stew-y things that will cook in a crockpot.

Oddly, baked mac-n-cheese does not work well as the second kind, because if you let it sit in the oven for a while (before the timed start) the pasta soaks up all the cheese sauce and the result is strangely dry.

Nicoise salad (potatoes, green beans, fish, and loads of other stuff including olives and anchovies)
a German-inspired version of the idea of Nicoise salad (so red cabbage, potatoes, sliced sausage, mustard vinaigrette)
A veggie casserole that's potatoes, white beans, broccoli, black olives, garlic-y tomato sauce and munster cheese layers

This list looks very potato-heavy. Pasta (unless it's baked) is probably out because of the no-last-minute requirement. Other ideas? I'd love for some of these dinners to be vegetarian, and I can prep stuff during the day, as I work at home. We also have a rice cooker...

You have a season? lol. Ours never ends! But I hear ya , we have 4 that play , 2 D1 College now and 2 at home yet so its always working around there schedules and alot of travel.  To help with that I make all or most dinners in the morning, put in fridge and we do buffet style everynight because no on is ever home at the same time. Kids make there plates, microwave and put all back on bottom shelf of fridge.

For tonight I made Stuffed Pork Chops, Canned whole potatoes seasoned with garlic, onion , paprika and Italian Seasoning , no salt and peas and carrots. As always a veggie loaded salad.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #575 on: March 01, 2019, 12:26:51 PM »
Home made pizza.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #576 on: March 01, 2019, 12:46:27 PM »

You have a season? lol. Ours never ends! But I hear ya , we have 4 that play , 2 D1 College now and 2 at home yet so its always working around there schedules and alot of travel.  To help with that I make all or most dinners in the morning, put in fridge and we do buffet style everynight because no on is ever home at the same time. Kids make there plates, microwave and put all back on bottom shelf of fridge.

For tonight I made Stuffed Pork Chops, Canned whole potatoes seasoned with garlic, onion , paprika and Italian Seasoning , no salt and peas and carrots. As always a veggie loaded salad.

Well, we take the month of June completely off... (Mostly because we go visit family all over the place: also High School summer training starts the first week in July.)

We've been having indoor practices once or twice per week, but we're headed into the outdoor season, so between the two kids there will be 6 practices and two games per week, plus one kid also plays an instrument, so that's another couple of hours of evening time locked up. And one kid works a few evenings per week.

But we still manage to have dinners together most nights --they might be later, but that's still dinner, right?. If it gets really scattered, we'll have dessert together, when possible. 

Your pork chops sound fantastic, but we'd probably save something like that for the weekend.

Tonight: beef and broccoli stir-fry, with rice. Incoming major snowstorm, so we'll probably try to get up early and go skiing first thing tomorrow morning!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #577 on: March 01, 2019, 04:14:01 PM »
Tonight should be a simple steak and baked potato.  If I can remember to take all the ingredients/equipment with me to work, I'll try to attempt making bagels for the first time.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #578 on: March 01, 2019, 05:10:14 PM »
Husband is marinating pork loin chops. I’m going to suggest the bunch of asparagus from today’s Hungry Harvest box as a side. Maybe also baked potatoes.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #579 on: March 01, 2019, 06:50:13 PM »
We have food issues at our house (keto diet due to other allergies), so we are eating the following:
2 people with pasta + meatballs
1 person with leftover chili
1 person with carnitas + a smidge of leftover steak + sauteed veggies

I miss the days where I'd occasionally make pasta without a sauce for my picky eater & thought that was a customized menu. :-(

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #580 on: March 02, 2019, 11:14:31 AM »
Tonight, I'm making a homemade chicken soup with organic chicken breast and organic carrots with a fresh loaf of homemade french herb bread from our bread machine. I'm continuing my mission to eat absolutely everything we have in the freezer and pantry before buying more food.

I just discovered that I have a couple of lentil soup mixes that have been sitting in the pantry so those are going to be used during the upcoming Lent.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #581 on: March 02, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »
The adults are going out, and the kids are having frozen pizza

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #582 on: March 02, 2019, 08:03:14 PM »
We went skiing and got back really tired. After a nap, I made a huge mac-n-cheese and a giant salad. (I think I was inspired by my comment earlier that mac-n-cheese needs to be baked just after it's assembled.) Plenty of leftovers are in the fridge and will probably go into some lunches.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #583 on: March 02, 2019, 09:09:07 PM »
Roasted chicken, Brussels sprouts and carrots.  Left over chicken will go in a soup tomorrow with homemade sourdough bread.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #584 on: March 02, 2019, 11:18:58 PM »
Burritos yesterday.
Burritos today.

Though they were made with the same ingredients, today's burritos were definitely not leftovers.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #585 on: March 03, 2019, 10:43:11 AM »
Fish cakes and green salad with mango and tomato. We have eaten so much apple cake that we don't need potatoes for dinner. Applecake made from apples that were leftover at the office last summer/autumn. Kept in the freezer so long, where we now needed more space.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #586 on: March 03, 2019, 05:12:04 PM »
Hamburger patties with creamy tomato sauce & fried cabbage

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #587 on: March 03, 2019, 06:15:02 PM »
Tamales from our freezer stash. I had planned to make pot roast, but we lost a pet this morning and heat-and-eat was about as much as we could manage.

Pot roast will make a good dinner for husband’s birthday tomorrow, at least.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #588 on: March 04, 2019, 01:35:17 PM »
If you come over to my house after work (or after whatever you FIREd people do all day) I'll treat you to some chili cheese dogs.  Costco franks (the big ones!) on the indoor grill, the "Stagg" brand chili (also Costco), diced onion, shredded cheese.  No bun, sorry.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #589 on: March 04, 2019, 02:01:47 PM »
If you come over to my house after work (or after whatever you FIREd people do all day) I'll treat you to some chili cheese dogs.  Costco franks (the big ones!) on the indoor grill, the "Stagg" brand chili (also Costco), diced onion, shredded cheese.  No bun, sorry.

Yum, sounds good! I have bought those big hot dogs at Costco but they never have the hot dog buns to go along with them. I have bought foot long buns but they are still not the right size because they are meant for the skinnier foot long dogs. Anyone ever find the buns anywhere that fit the big dogs from Costco?

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #590 on: March 04, 2019, 02:51:13 PM »
Last night the offspring made butter chicken, rice, and cornbread stuffing (stovetop).  Our dinners don't always "go together", but they are good!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #591 on: March 04, 2019, 06:19:17 PM »
The pot roast became slow cooker sesame beef. I stirred in some steamed broccoli florets at the end and served it over white rice.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #592 on: March 05, 2019, 01:13:26 AM »
DH made soup from sweet potato, coconut milk, some veggies and some mashed potato powder, as well as cut up fish cakes. Enough to eat tomorrow as well.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #593 on: March 05, 2019, 07:09:57 AM »
Last night we had turkey meatloaf.  I used up the last of a bit of milk + bread crumbs from last week's sourdough.  On the side, garlic-parm green beans and we each had a slice of garlic bread to use up this week's sourdough.

Tonight I'm planning to make ham fried rice with bok choi on the side.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #594 on: March 05, 2019, 09:43:17 AM »
Reservations!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #595 on: March 05, 2019, 06:30:08 PM »
Bay scallops (the tiny ones) in a garlicky cream sauce (I added some Parmesan to make it more like Alfredo) over pasta and a green salad.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #596 on: March 05, 2019, 07:15:50 PM »
Leftover burger patties in a creamy tomato sauce + cabbage. One child had a burger & pasta, because he just came from a game & couldn't wait for dinner to be prepped. ;-)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #597 on: March 05, 2019, 08:07:16 PM »
Riboletta, sort of: soup of onions, tomatoes, greens, and chickpeas with loads of crispy-edged croutons I made from a semi-stale loaf, served with parmesan and olive oil on top. I know the bread is supposed to be cooked in the soup, but I adores the oily, crispy edges of homemade croutons.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #598 on: March 06, 2019, 03:42:19 AM »
Last night I made a 2 split half chickens, creamy coleslaw, a rice and veggie blend and some green beans.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #599 on: March 06, 2019, 04:12:11 AM »
Yesterday was Shrove Tuesday -- called Mardi Gras in some countries -- which is the last day before the Catholic fasting season of Lent, so we had a traditional meal to celebrate it. We made pancakes from a super easy homemade mix. Yeah, that's the tradition. Eating pancakes the day before Ash Wednesday. We also made turkey bacon and scrambled eggs and had some of our homemade chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Very good and easy meal.