Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950024 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #500 on: February 20, 2019, 04:49:25 AM »
Last night I made 85/15 Burgers and just seasoned them with Italian seasoning and Pepper no salt and they were great. For a side we at the leftover Chicken Broccoli pasta leftover from night before and a mixed veggie.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #501 on: February 20, 2019, 04:59:06 AM »
I just realized that my "on the way out" fresh spinach can be wilted and used in a beef/rice bowl.  Add a little melted butter, yum.

Was that spinach fresh from the shop or fresh from your garden? If from the shop, you should consider buying frozen spinach. It costs only a fraction of fresh spinach and tastes just as well as fresh in wok dishes.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #502 on: February 20, 2019, 05:03:59 AM »
I made Hot Crash Potatoes for the first time. I was intrigued by another poster on what they were. I used this recipe and they were excellent! I didn't have the suggested taters so I used baking taters cut vertically and used two round iron skillets to cook them. They were awesome!

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/crash-hot-potatoes/

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #503 on: February 20, 2019, 05:18:06 AM »
I made Hot Crash Potatoes for the first time. I was intrigued by another poster on what they were. I used this recipe and they were excellent! I didn't have the suggested taters so I used baking taters cut vertically and used two round iron skillets to cook them. They were awesome!

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/crash-hot-potatoes/

Thanks, I will try this too some time. My DH thinks baked potatoes are always disappointing, so this might be a nice alternative.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #504 on: February 20, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »
I just realized that my "on the way out" fresh spinach can be wilted and used in a beef/rice bowl.  Add a little melted butter, yum.

Was that spinach fresh from the shop or fresh from your garden? If from the shop, you should consider buying frozen spinach. It costs only a fraction of fresh spinach and tastes just as well as fresh in wok dishes.

Oh, nice tip!  Thanks, I will do that in the future.  I'd bought fresh spinach/mixed greens for my salad based meals (I'm alone so I buy small amounts), and just had a bit leftover that was going bad & I didn't want to eat it raw.  But, frozen spinach for anything you'd normally saute, that's brilliant.  Thanks!

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #505 on: February 20, 2019, 01:07:22 PM »
BicycleB's Bean Tacos!!

Black beans, precooked to perfection (kind of a savory flavor, perfect consistency. My cheat: the canned black  beans from the local grocery are perfect for this. 72 cents per lazy 1 lb can; good for roughly 8 tacos, aka 2 hearty person-meals). Reheat to steaming just before assembling the tacos.

Corn tortillas, toasted to edge of crispy on gas stove

Freshly chopped tomato, onion. Avocado (slice while the tortillas are toasting).

Fill the tortillas with beans while the tortillas set. Add vegies. Yum yum yum, easy deliciousness for $1 or less per meal.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #506 on: February 20, 2019, 03:34:39 PM »
I got a little lazy tonight, so I threw some pork I thawed out last night into the slow cooker with just enough water to cover the bottom of the crockpot and cooked it for three and a half hours on high. Then I took out the pork and shredded it with a couple forks and threw it back in for another half hour with the leftover teriyaki sauce I had sitting around in our fridge. Served over rice and voila! Teriyaki pork that took nearly no effort.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #507 on: February 20, 2019, 03:41:13 PM »
I'm changing my plan because it's been snowing all day and the weather just calls for soup + bread.  I'm thinking it will be a creamy asparagus and green chile soup.  I picked up a take & bake baguette on the way home and happened to get a container of marked down Fage yogurt, so that will be the cream element.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #508 on: February 20, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »
Pressure cooker/ Instant Pot seafood chowder with bread and homemade garlic butter.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #509 on: February 20, 2019, 06:07:32 PM »
Rio Zape beans stewed in the pressure cooker with mirepoix, garlic, various chilies, and cilantro. Husband smoked a pork shoulder yesterday, so we’ll probably shred some of that into our bowls, along with shredded Monterrey jack cheese and Herdez guacamole salsa.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #510 on: February 20, 2019, 06:54:39 PM »
Making fried rice. So excited. I *was* planning on curry, but the fried rice sounded soooo good. And I picked up some ham from Costco. Can't wait.

Hot crash potatoes are the BOMB!  Eternal thanks to @Bracken_Joy for introducing me to them.  I am now their biggest evangelist.  I'll make them with salmon (our typical pairing) in a couple of days.

Tonight is Kungpao Chicken night at our house.  With stirfried mustard greens and rice.

I need to make crash hot potatoes again! So funny. We totally need to do a full recipe exchange- we use your baked chicken drumsticks recipe still! Clearly we have similar tastes =)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #511 on: February 21, 2019, 02:56:07 AM »
Made soft shell chicken tacos but to reduce salt I used no taco seasoning and didnt need it. Made all the sides to us and the kids could make as they want from bacon to guacamole, White rice to mexican rice and so on. Alot of work but I was able to keep mine very healthy and the kids were please as always when we make any kind of Mexican food.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #512 on: February 21, 2019, 10:39:39 AM »
Pasta with red bell pepper, onions, mushrooms, white beans, bacon, and jarred pesto (Aldi brand).

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #513 on: February 21, 2019, 12:04:08 PM »

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #514 on: February 21, 2019, 12:07:11 PM »
Spanish Chickpeas and Rice
https://www.budgetbytes.com/spanish-chickpeas-and-rice/

I love that one! I can also recommend making burritos with that as the filling.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #515 on: February 21, 2019, 03:06:03 PM »
Made soft shell chicken tacos but to reduce salt I used no taco seasoning and didnt need it. Made all the sides to us and the kids could make as they want from bacon to guacamole, White rice to mexican rice and so on. Alot of work but I was able to keep mine very healthy and the kids were please as always when we make any kind of Mexican food.

It's SUPER easy to make your own taco seasoning, and then you don't need to add salt if you don't want to.

I've used this recipe for ages and love it. I now make 32x batches and store them in a quart jar, we use it so often! https://www.rachelcooks.com/2011/10/28/homemade-taco-seasoning/

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #516 on: February 21, 2019, 08:25:12 PM »
This, for at least the fourth time. It is so good, I'm mentally telling the pot to "Hurry up!". Yeah, mental is the right word.

https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/thai-chicken-soup/#comment-2020489

greysolive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #517 on: February 22, 2019, 04:50:05 AM »
Want to try Fried chicken dinner today.

Here is recipe:

1-2 quartered chickens (depending on how many you're serving that day)

In a large ziplock bag, combine flour (a few cups, I've never measured anything), about 2 tsps. each salt, pepper, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning.

Add the chicken pieces in and shake them in the flour mixture-set the bag in the fridge, shaking it every few hours until you're ready to cook (this makes a thicker crust without having to batter or do the egg-flour-egg-flour thing).

When you're ready to cook, start a pot of rice or potatoes (or both, if your husband is like mine and refuses to eat rice).

Get a large cast iron skillet (you can use any large skillet but cast iron is the best) and add about 1" of cooking oil of your choice. Get it hot enough that a slice of onion sizzles when you drop it in.

Add the chicken a few pieces at a time, cooking evenly (until cutting near the bone yields juices that are clear and not pink). By this point, your rice or potatoes should be ready.

Set the cooked chicken aside on paper towels to drain, mash the potatoes if you're having them (use a whole stick of butter because this is the South, damnit, and you're eating fried chicken).

Spoon the grease out of the cast iron until there's very little left (maybe 1/4" or less with the crust drippings). Turn the burner back on and add your flour mixture from the batter a little at a time until stirring it yields a paste-like consistency. Cook this, stirring like crazy, until it's a nice red-brown. It will look like it's burnt, that's a good thing. CAREFULLY add either water or milk a little at a time, now whisking it as you add. Thin it to whatever consistency you like, taste a little and add salt and pepper to taste.

There you have my great-great-great grandmother's fried chicken with rice and gravy recipe, which we try to make a few times a year.

If you're wanting it to feel even more southern, you can also sub in rabbit, squirrel, or opossum quarters for the chicken.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #518 on: February 22, 2019, 05:12:59 AM »
Want to try Fried chicken dinner today.

Here is recipe:

1-2 quartered chickens (depending on how many you're serving that day)

In a large ziplock bag, combine flour (a few cups, I've never measured anything), about 2 tsps. each salt, pepper, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning.

Add the chicken pieces in and shake them in the flour mixture-set the bag in the fridge, shaking it every few hours until you're ready to cook (this makes a thicker crust without having to batter or do the egg-flour-egg-flour thing).

When you're ready to cook, start a pot of rice or potatoes (or both, if your husband is like mine and refuses to eat rice).

Get a large cast iron skillet (you can use any large skillet but cast iron is the best) and add about 1" of cooking oil of your choice. Get it hot enough that a slice of onion sizzles when you drop it in.

Add the chicken a few pieces at a time, cooking evenly (until cutting near the bone yields juices that are clear and not pink). By this point, your rice or potatoes should be ready.

Set the cooked chicken aside on paper towels to drain, mash the potatoes if you're having them (use a whole stick of butter because this is the South, damnit, and you're eating fried chicken).

Spoon the grease out of the cast iron until there's very little left (maybe 1/4" or less with the crust drippings). Turn the burner back on and add your flour mixture from the batter a little at a time until stirring it yields a paste-like consistency. Cook this, stirring like crazy, until it's a nice red-brown. It will look like it's burnt, that's a good thing. CAREFULLY add either water or milk a little at a time, now whisking it as you add. Thin it to whatever consistency you like, taste a little and add salt and pepper to taste.

There you have my great-great-great grandmother's fried chicken with rice and gravy recipe, which we try to make a few times a year.

If you're wanting it to feel even more southern, you can also sub in rabbit, squirrel, or opossum quarters for the chicken.

YUM printed your recipe, sounds good! Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:17:26 AM by Roadrunner53 »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #519 on: February 22, 2019, 07:11:38 AM »
This:

And this:

So much ♡♡♡

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #520 on: February 22, 2019, 01:03:11 PM »
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowls - recipe from Budget Bytes. I've made it for lots of friends, and everyone loves it.

Ugh. So good. Put everything in the crock pot before heading to work and have an outlet timer turn it on while I'm away.

Definitely going to try those slow cooker chicken taco bowls. Sounds great.

It's just me + the kids tonight, so it will be something easy. I'm thinking of chicken sandwiches + fruit smoothies. We have a bunch of fruit that needs to be used up, due to a ski trip earlier this week.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #521 on: February 22, 2019, 06:47:14 PM »
Vindaloo pork with jasmine rice.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #522 on: February 23, 2019, 03:50:54 AM »
Last night I made a very healthy hot seafood pasta for the first time.  Been working on trying to keep finding healthier things to make. So had shrimp and a little bit of Imitation crab in it but loads of vegetables not to high in sodium and was overall a very healthy meal. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #523 on: February 23, 2019, 09:41:51 AM »
Pasta with porcini that I found and dried in August. With red pepper, cream and dices of ham.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #524 on: February 23, 2019, 02:53:24 PM »
We're having Thanksgiving leftovers from the freezer: turkey, stuffing & gravy

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #525 on: February 23, 2019, 09:12:46 PM »
Husband made some sort of delicious Thai stir fry with ground chicken and green beans, served over rice with a fried egg. Yum. He needs to cook more often.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #526 on: February 24, 2019, 02:27:33 AM »
Chicken veggie soup made using our pressure cooker, and banana passion fruit bread for dessert. Bananas and passion fruit are fresh from my friend’s parents’ farm.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #527 on: February 24, 2019, 05:09:29 AM »
Last night half the family was gone SO i just made me and my DS each a steak and we split a box of mac n cheese. A little Ice cream for desert.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #528 on: February 24, 2019, 08:07:34 AM »
Not sure about tonight. It will depend on whether today’s windstorm knocks out the electricity (the last windstorm knocked out power for 4 days). Fortunately, we’ll still be able to use the stovetop so we’ll probably end up heating up leftovers to clear the fridge.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #529 on: February 24, 2019, 08:58:06 AM »
We're planning to have Asian cabbage stir fry

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #530 on: February 24, 2019, 09:13:57 AM »
Homemade Chinese style pork dumplings.  I got pre-made frozen wrappers from the local Chinese supermarket.  My kids love dumplings so this should be fun.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #531 on: February 24, 2019, 01:05:54 PM »
I'm out of town for work this week and DH doesn't really cook when I'm gone, so I'm trying to use stuff up.

Tonight is black bean, kale and chorizo soup, and I'm making a nice garlic-herb sourdough loaf to have with it.  Hopefully he'll eat up the leftovers while I'm gone.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #532 on: February 24, 2019, 01:18:43 PM »
Dunno yet. Came here for inspiration.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #533 on: February 24, 2019, 02:31:21 PM »
Baja shrimp salad https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-baja-shrimp-taco-salad-256166
with some black beans that have been bathing in chipotle-lime sauce for a day or so tossed on top.

Possibly leftover lemon bars.
I will take time after dinner to manufacture burritos for lunch tomorrow, for them that take lunches.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #534 on: February 24, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »
This soup: https://montanahappy.com/to-die-for-rustic-hungarian-mushroom-soup/

We're having 55-mph winds out there, the windchill feels like it's about negative 1 bazillion (probably it's in the low teens), and I needed something to warm me up after being pummeled by wind while standing on the train platform for a train that did not arrive. This should do the trick.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #535 on: February 24, 2019, 03:07:18 PM »
Tonight skinless Chicken thighs stuffed with stuffing

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #536 on: February 24, 2019, 04:06:18 PM »
This, for at least the fourth time. It is so good, I'm mentally telling the pot to "Hurry up!". Yeah, mental is the right word.

https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/thai-chicken-soup/#comment-2020489

I made this last night, it's very good and pretty easy.  I'm having the leftovers tonight!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #537 on: February 24, 2019, 06:43:13 PM »
Power is still on but we were feeling uninspired. Dinner was loaded baked potatoes (sharp cheddar, bacon, broccoli).

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #538 on: February 25, 2019, 12:40:29 AM »
Dredged and fried mahi-mahi with brown rice and asparagus.

Also made a big batch of turkey meat balls and 4 bowls of kamut, spinach, roasted golden beets, and broccoli. Should have plenty of quick (and tasty) meals available.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #539 on: February 25, 2019, 01:26:33 AM »

We're having 55-mph winds out there, the windchill feels like it's about negative 1 bazillion (probably it's in the low teens), and I needed something to warm me up after being pummeled by wind while standing on the train platform for a train that did not arrive. This should do the trick.
Well I muddled through tonight's dinner, mostly by roasting a bunch of vegetables, including finally using up the last of a bag of Costco Brussels sprouts, yay me.

This mushroom soup recipe looks awesome. I have all the ingredients on hand, so it's what's for dinner tomorrow. Thanks @Tris Prior!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #540 on: February 25, 2019, 06:54:21 AM »
Did not have this for dinner but wanted to mention if you have a bag of onions that you want to use up before they go bad, slice them up and put them in the slow cooker with butter and olive oil. Set it on low or high if you want it done faster. I had it on high for about 5 hours then set it on low and it cooked all night long. They are caramelized and taste so good. I might freeze small bags and have the onions on burgers. Could make onion soup too.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #541 on: February 25, 2019, 10:30:02 PM »
Did not have this for dinner but wanted to mention if you have a bag of onions that you want to use up before they go bad, slice them up and put them in the slow cooker with butter and olive oil. Set it on low or high if you want it done faster. I had it on high for about 5 hours then set it on low and it cooked all night long. They are caramelized and taste so good. I might freeze small bags and have the onions on burgers. Could make onion soup too.

This is brilliant!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #542 on: February 25, 2019, 11:13:41 PM »

Well I muddled through tonight's dinner, mostly by roasting a bunch of vegetables, including finally using up the last of a bag of Costco Brussels sprouts, yay me.

This mushroom soup recipe looks awesome. I have all the ingredients on hand, so it's what's for dinner tomorrow. Thanks @Tris Prior!
Made this soup tonight. I cooked it until the thickening step, removed it from the heat, went to a meeting, then came home and finished it. I also used low-sodium beef broth instead of chicken, because it seemed, well, meatier. It was very good, though next time around I will increase the spices. Thanks again, @Tris Prior!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #543 on: February 26, 2019, 01:05:45 AM »
Dh made lasagna yesterday. He even made enough that we can eat it 2 days. He cut down on the amount of minced meat, supporting my overall plan to eat less meat.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #544 on: February 26, 2019, 07:14:33 AM »
@Dicey, you are very welcome! I'm vegetarian so I use low sodium veg broth and that came out well too. Using good paprika, and enough of it, helps. I was using smoked paprika in it before, but this time I only had the cheap shit from Aldi in the house and it wasn't quite as good. Still a great hearty meal on a cold night.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #545 on: February 26, 2019, 07:49:42 AM »
@Dicey, you are very welcome! I'm vegetarian so I use low sodium veg broth and that came out well too. Using good paprika, and enough of it, helps. I was using smoked paprika in it before, but this time I only had the cheap shit from Aldi in the house and it wasn't quite as good. Still a great hearty meal on a cold night.
I only had regular paprika, so that could be the difference. I'll add smoked paprika to my shopping list. Lol, I've been a vegetarian for 30 years. When I got married and suddenly started cooking for a family of four adult-sized humans, three of whom are meat eaters, I admit, I relaxed my standards a bit. I use meat stock occasionally. I had lo-so beef stock in the pantry that was well past the alleged expiration date, so I just grabbed it and ignored the fact that it wasn't vegetarian. We all love mushrooms, so I'm sure this recipe will stay in our rotation. Thanks again, @Tris Prior!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #546 on: February 26, 2019, 08:36:09 AM »
I only had regular paprika, so that could be the difference. I'll add smoked paprika to my shopping list. Lol, I've been a vegetarian for 30 years. When I got married and suddenly started cooking for a family of four adult-sized humans, three of whom are meat eaters, I admit, I relaxed my standards a bit. I use meat stock occasionally. I had lo-so beef stock in the pantry that was well past the alleged expiration date, so I just grabbed it and ignored the fact that it wasn't vegetarian. We all love mushrooms, so I'm sure this recipe will stay in our rotation. Thanks again, @Tris Prior!

I can confirm that smoked paprika is delightful. I had no idea how much of a difference it would make.

AlexMar

• Bristles
« Reply #547 on: February 26, 2019, 11:55:16 AM »

This is brilliant!

We pickle onions also, which go great on sandwiches and on top of chicken, potatoes, etc.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #548 on: February 26, 2019, 12:25:41 PM »
Made some decent tadka dal from scratch last night.  Slightly burnt the whole spices during the tempering phase, but which I didn't realize until I had added it to the whole dish, but luckily it still came out alright.  I'll have to keep a closer eye on them next time.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #549 on: February 26, 2019, 12:36:49 PM »
Pork medallions, mushroom risotto, and roasted brussels sprouts. I might even make some chocolate chip cookies for dessert.