Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 961976 times)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #4650 on: July 16, 2023, 09:03:52 PM »
Three bean salad chilled in the fridge, perfect for scooping with tortilla chips. https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-three-bean-salad/

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4651 on: July 17, 2023, 09:33:09 AM »
Three bean salad chilled in the fridge, perfect for scooping with tortilla chips. https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-three-bean-salad/

HA, we're making black-bean salad (with corn, red peppers, and avocados) with a chipotle-lime dressing. Same plan!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4652 on: July 19, 2023, 11:30:58 AM »
Last night we made a tasty garden veggie ramen (kale, japanese radishes, zucchini) with a spicy miso broth. It was delicious.

Tonight will likely be pulled pork tacos to use up leftovers.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 08:04:54 AM by Serendip »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4653 on: July 20, 2023, 04:48:43 AM »
Cod...I have so much cod...I was also unaware of just how difficult cod is to cook.

Also, how the fuck do you make crab's legs?? I have a small mountain of those as well.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4654 on: July 20, 2023, 06:41:17 AM »
Cod...I have so much cod...I was also unaware of just how difficult cod is to cook.

Also, how the fuck do you make crab's legs?? I have a small mountain of those as well.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/how-to-make-crab-legs/

I prefer the boiling in salt water method.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #4655 on: July 20, 2023, 07:01:44 AM »
Have you made shorse maach? It's a white fish, mustard, coconut milk curry. We really love it even though it is pretty different than most of our fish recipes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4656 on: July 20, 2023, 07:18:50 AM »

Cod is easy!  Unless you don't like fried battered cod for every meal . . . then you're in some trouble.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4657 on: July 20, 2023, 06:01:29 PM »
Last night was french style puy lentils*, baby spinach and grilled salmon. It was super delicious. Today we are probably turning the leftover lentils into wee hand-pies which will also use up the last of the feta and frozen pastry. If that turns out to be lunch, then dinner will be crispy gnocchi with mushrooms and pumpkin.

*the pantry eat-down continues. Out of so many legumes, only moong dal and red lentils remain.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4658 on: July 21, 2023, 09:38:07 AM »
We are also on a pantry/freezer eat down!

It has been fun to shake up the regular recipe rotation a bit.

I made a green bean and shrimp stir-fry the other night using up the tail end of last summer's frozen green beans. Which was good because I just started freezing this summer's green beans!

I made a rice and tomatillo soup last night, using up frozen tomatillos and peppers and some frozen stock cubes.

Tonight is pizza night. We doing them on the grill. Cheese pizza for the kids, fig/arugula/gorgonzola for the grown ups. 

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4659 on: July 21, 2023, 02:02:57 PM »
a quinoa salad with a lemon vinaigrette and sliced radishes and cucumbers and feta, possibly more of a "clean-out-the-fridge" situation. Then I head off to the farmer's market bright and early tomorrow, and we start over again.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4660 on: July 22, 2023, 03:12:23 AM »
@jeninco the salad sounds delicious and the imminent restock very familiar.
@StarBright it’s definitely been spurring my creativity.

Tonight’s dinner was the lentil hand pies with some feta crumbles and peppery mushrooms. They turned out delicious and used up two more things!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4661 on: July 22, 2023, 07:57:11 AM »
@mspym --those look fantastic. I need some more puff pastry in my life.

Tonight I'll make stir-fried savoy cabbage w/ some type of peanut sauce. We've had a bumper crop of cabbage and they are so mild-flavoured that it's easy to eats heaps of it without it seeming too 'cabbage-y'

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4662 on: July 22, 2023, 08:47:24 PM »
@Serendip we can eat so much sautéed savoy cabbage. Little bit of sesame oil and gochugaru? Put that on a bowl of rice with an egg or some tofu!

Tonight I am trying to talk E into making tortillas to have with pork and salsa and peppers & onions.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4663 on: July 22, 2023, 09:03:47 PM »
@Serendip we can eat so much sautéed savoy cabbage. Little bit of sesame oil and gochugaru? Put that on a bowl of rice with an egg or some tofu!

Yup. I can't believe how mild it is compared to other cabbages. We made this recipe...heavy on the sauce and topped with sesame oil fried tofu. We practically swooned :)
https://food52.com/recipes/30979-stir-fried-cabbage-with-creamy-peanut-sauce

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4664 on: July 22, 2023, 10:02:48 PM »
@Serendip thank you! that recipe is verrry relevant to our interests

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4665 on: July 23, 2023, 06:24:59 AM »

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/how-to-make-crab-legs/

I prefer the boiling in salt water method.

Thank you!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4666 on: July 23, 2023, 06:29:17 AM »

Cod is easy!  Unless you don't like fried battered cod for every meal . . . then you're in some trouble.

Yeah, I now understand why every restaurant here serves it battered.

I'm just accepting that it falls apart now and planning for that. I made a baked feta and cherry tomato pasta dish and piled a bunch of deconstructed cod on top and it was fantastic.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4667 on: July 23, 2023, 02:48:50 PM »

Yeah, I now understand why every restaurant here serves it battered.

I'm just accepting that it falls apart now and planning for that. I made a baked feta and cherry tomato pasta dish and piled a bunch of deconstructed cod on top and it was fantastic.

I found this surprisingly good: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/freezer-raid-fish-pie/

(Note: I like all the components...)

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4668 on: July 24, 2023, 05:23:37 AM »
@mspym-- those hand pies look great as I eye my stash of lentils.  Would you mind to share the recipe for them as well as how you prepared the lentils?  I have lentils and mushrooms so your post really peaked my interest....

Tonight is salad with corn, black beans and BBQ tofu to work through the tofu stash

Tomorrow is salad lentil and walnut taco meat (new recipe here to work through the lentils, so will let you all know if it is tasty!)

Kl285528

• Stubble
« Reply #4669 on: July 24, 2023, 09:27:15 AM »
My favorite cod recipe from The Whole Tulip

Ideal Dill Fish
1 pound of cod fish dash of sea salt
dash of black pepper 1⁄2 fresh dill
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Rinse fish. Season with salt and pepper. Finely chop dill. Fill skillet with 1⁄2 inch of water and heat until steaming. Drop in fish, cover top will dill and cook until it is soft, about 5-7 minutes. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings

Simple, and when I get it right (90% of the time!) the fish just melts in your mouth, tons of flavor, almost buttery. Love it!

I have had a problem reheating cod, so that it doesn't turn rubbery - but reheating it in a soup or stew seems to work well.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4670 on: July 24, 2023, 10:31:14 AM »
LAst night: I made baguettes and gazpacho and we cleaned out the fridge a bit: leftover white-bean and cherry-tomato salad, a little ricotta, some grilled eggplant, a tomato salad from a lovely farmer's market tomato, leftover zucchini and turkey patties with a yummy garlic yogurt sauce, and probably some other stuff I'm not thinking of.

Tonight: it's a hot one, so probably a cold tofu salad and a cold cucumber and peanut salad, and some rice. I need to do a side-by-side comparison of the rice cooker and instant pot, and today might be the day...

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4671 on: July 24, 2023, 03:07:17 PM »
@Josiecat sure thing. This was us pulling a meal out of the air so it's all a bit rough and ready.
- Dice an onion and a carrot and saute in a pot with some olive oil
- When softened, add your lentils, a bay leaf, some water and a couple of veggie stock cubes.
- Cook till the lentils are done, add some salt and pepper and let cool. For us, this was easy because this was part of the previous night's dinner and then they were packed in a container in the fridge.
- Take two sheets of rolled pastry out of the freezer to defrost and turn your oven on to 180C to preheat. Put some baking paper on a tray.
- Dry-saute quartered mushrooms until the water is out then add butter, salt and lots of pepper and cook until they are delicious
- Mix the mushrooms into the lentils.
- By now the pastry should be defrosted. Cut the sheets in half. Put roughly 2T of lentil mix on one side of one of the rectangles you've made and flatten it out. Crumble some feta over the top, wet the edge of the pastry with some water and then cover with the other half of the rectangle. Squish edges down with a fork and poke holes in the top for steam. Repeat 4x. Easiest to leave them on the plastic sheeting until this point otherwise then you have to try get the whole floppy thing off your bench and it is a pain.
- Pop them onto the baking tray. At this point you can glaze them but we didn't have any milk so we didn't and I thought they turned out fine.
- Bung them into the oven until they are golden brown and delicious. You might need to rotate them part way through cooking to ensure even baking. Ta-da! you have achieved PIE.

We put all sorts of leftovers into hand-pies or on a pastry base and other than the time I somehow forgot to remove the plastic backing they have all been successful transformation of leftovers into an exciting new meal.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 03:08:54 PM by mspym »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4672 on: July 25, 2023, 03:26:39 PM »
Pasta Salad, around room temp:
pasta, broccoli, olives, little salami cubes, red and yellow peppers, possibly some leftover yellow tomatoes and grilled eggplants, and whatever else seems like it'd be good in there. A dressing that's based on garlic, oregano, and parsley.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4673 on: July 25, 2023, 04:06:17 PM »
Chicken tacos.

DH bought, like, 6 lbs of chicken breasts because they were on sale and froze them all together - rookie mistake - so we did a big ol' batch of shredded chicken in the Instant Pot and froze the cooked shredded chicken in dinner-sized portions. Makes for a quick and easy meal, and we do tacos about once-a-week so this will add some protein variety! (We alternate between beef, chicken, and black beans.)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4674 on: July 25, 2023, 07:56:15 PM »
Last night was couscous salad which used up leftover chicken from taco night, some spinach that needed eating, and sauteed leeks, mushrooms and peppers from the meal before the chicken tacos. I toasted some seeds (sesame, poppy, sunflower) and added chickpeas, fresh cilantro and a vinaigrette.

Tonight was going to be a pasta bake but all the ricotta got eaten so now it'll be either tofu noodles with bok choi or dhal and flatbreads.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4675 on: July 25, 2023, 08:19:02 PM »
"Easy" Zucchini Fritters...not as quick as I hoped for but super tasty.
I non-veganized them with eggs and for greens I put shredded kale & cabbage. Topped w/ lemon yogourt sauce and a tomato/basil/mozarella salad on the side.

https://minimalistbaker.com/wprm_print/60212

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 09:02:36 PM by Serendip »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4676 on: July 25, 2023, 09:02:27 PM »
@Serendip thanks for coming up with a banger way for us to use up our quinoa stash

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4677 on: July 25, 2023, 11:47:44 PM »
Two firsts for me last night (with leftovers for lunch). Made my own potsticker dumplings and the filling used Textured Vegetable Protein in place of pork. It's super cheap and the texture is identical to beef mince. Overall a very cheap meal as the veg inside the filling was cabbage.

I have left over filling so tonight I'm going to shred a bit more cabbage, fry all that up together and serve with Udon noodles.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4678 on: July 26, 2023, 05:30:39 AM »
@mspym, thanks!!! that looks great!!

Tonight is crustless quiche to use up the mushrooms and the bibs and bobs of orphaned cheese in the drawer.  Will serve with a fruit salad and toast (and the meat eaters will likely make bacon....)

Yesterday I made lentil walnut taco "meat" to work through the lentil stash.....pretty tasty! Served on a bed of salad and avocado and fresh griddled corn tortillas. (of course DS had leftover chicken in his tacos, but acknowledged that the lentil mix was "not bad".)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4679 on: July 26, 2023, 07:18:27 PM »
cauliflower tacos (black beans, cheese, chipotle sauce, some slaw), and all the apricots we care to eat, as I just purchased a 20 lb box of seconds. Yum!  And the first really good fresh corn of the season!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4680 on: July 26, 2023, 07:33:10 PM »
Tonight was going to be a pasta bake but all the ricotta got eaten so now it'll be either tofu noodles with bok choi or dhal and flatbreads.
I love the way I keep coming up with plans that are then promptly abandoned. Ofpym made rice with pork mince & black beans, Chinese-inspired flavours. It was delicious. We really really do need to use up the bok choi so TOFU NOODLES IT IS. That is me telling myself the mealplan, very firmly in the hopes it will stick.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4681 on: July 27, 2023, 09:58:07 AM »
@Serendip thanks for coming up with a banger way for us to use up our quinoa stash

Hope you enjoy @mspym ...I've also made some good veggie burgers with leftover quinoa :)

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4682 on: July 27, 2023, 02:24:26 PM »
Sandwiches, which will include some pretty mushy avocado as a spread and some quickly-ripening pears as a side. 3 of our 4 family members do half-sandwiches so it's not a whole loaf of bread, which is nice.

Tomorrow will be similar (bread/fruit/cheese/etc.) and this weekend we'll probably try to be outside as much as possible, so grilling is likely on the menu and maybe a cold, kid-friendly salad? It's not supposed to break 90 where we are, but I'm not anxious to turn on the oven in a worldwide heat wave.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4683 on: July 27, 2023, 08:06:07 PM »
Broke down and briefly turned on the oven to make a large white bean and tomato and feta dish, which we had with a greek salad and buttered toast.

Tomorrow: I'm thinking summer rolls, with spicy peanut sauce.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4684 on: August 01, 2023, 02:11:56 PM »
I need to go to a grocery store for other reasons, so I think I'll get the ingredients we don't have to make this:https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/05/chicken-gyro-salad/

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4685 on: August 02, 2023, 06:58:38 AM »
I wanted something vegetarian this week, so I made these eggplant-almond enchiladas from the Moosewood Cookbook:

https://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipe=eggplant_enchiladas

I swapped store-bought salsa for the red sauce and served them with homemade guacamole.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4686 on: August 02, 2023, 06:59:53 PM »
Vegetarian fried rice and dumplings for me, pork fried rice with leftover pork loin and dumplings for the Lad and DH had a ribeye.

Tomorrow is leftover fried rice and traderjoes beefless bulgogi and broccoli

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4687 on: August 02, 2023, 09:33:14 PM »
Fish tacos, with rice, cotija cheese, and lime cilantro dressing.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4688 on: August 02, 2023, 10:02:18 PM »
Adding some frozen peas and chicken leftover from burritos to last night's dhal, which we'll have on brown rice. That uses up the brown rice and we can donate the container!

Man, our cupboards are getting So Bare.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4689 on: August 09, 2023, 06:06:49 AM »
Cannelini beans alla vodka, salad and baguette

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4690 on: August 09, 2023, 08:37:02 PM »
Mom's flight was late, so the connection to the shuttle didn't work, and I drove out to the airport to get her. Needed something DH could make:
Grilled Brats, salad, and a potato and garlic and greens thing where they're all cooked at length in a really big skillet with a load of olive oil. Delish!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 10:04:52 AM by jeninco »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4691 on: August 09, 2023, 09:28:10 PM »
Soba noodles with veg, tofu and a peanut-butter sauce

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4692 on: August 15, 2023, 05:11:17 PM »
BBQ meatless meatballs and wild rice with roasted cauliflower and red onion

tomorrow is "stuffed zucchini" with leftover wildrice, crushed tomato, onion etc then baked.  Kinda winging it to use up leftovers....sometimes it's the best meal all week and sometimes it's just sustenance.....
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 08:03:48 PM by Josiecat23503 »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4693 on: August 16, 2023, 01:27:51 PM »
Soba noodles with veg, tofu and a peanut-butter sauce

We're having a relative of this tonight, from Melissa Clark's new(ish) cookbook, "Dinner in One"

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4694 on: August 17, 2023, 08:17:31 PM »
We are scraping the bottom of the pantry supplies so tonight is pasta w a tomato and meat sauce. Leftovers will be put in a dish, topped w breadcrumbs and cheese and baked. That should get us through the weekend.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4695 on: August 18, 2023, 09:20:30 AM »
Sheetpan shrimp boil.  Nom nom nom

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4696 on: August 18, 2023, 02:20:35 PM »
My, it's hot. We're having a room-temperature salad of wild rice, shredded chicken, lightly cooked green beans and cantaloupe in a cumin-lime vinaigrette. (Typing that out, I'll add some diced red peppers, for color.)

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4697 on: August 18, 2023, 06:38:40 PM »
BBQ meatless meatballs

This sounds interesting! Would you mind sharing your meatless meatball recipe?

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4698 on: August 18, 2023, 07:02:28 PM »
@YK-Phil, sure thing! 

I have a couple of recipes, but in a pinch, the ones from Aldis (Earthgrown brand) are pretty good.

I have made each of these and sometimes will combine recipes depending on what I have lying around.  I either make a homemade marinara, a BBQ sauce or make a sweet and spicy by blending equal parts chili sauce and grape jelly and letting it go in the crock pot for 4 hours on low.  I rarely follow a recipe religiously!  Hope this helps!!

https://veganwithcurves.com/bbq-lentil-balls/

https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-lentil-meatballs/?utm_source=Minimalist+Baker&utm_campaign=d66dba4a81-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0e438fa000-d66dba4a81-135450693

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/232908/chef-johns-meatless-meatballs/?utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-recipe&utm_content=20220707&utm_term=232908

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4699 on: August 19, 2023, 07:02:39 PM »
https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/01/warm-lentil-and-potato-salad/, grilled pork chops, green salad, and a nectarine cobbler. Aah, summer!