Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 962013 times)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #4600 on: June 06, 2023, 04:33:55 PM »
it's cooling off and clouding over, so we're having a one-pan situation with layered sweet potato and green apple slices, poached in apple juice punched up with some cloves and mustard, with ham slices layered on top. And a salad, for green-ness. It's typically a fall dinner for us, but I just scraped some ham out of the freezer and it's a pretty fast and easy dinner...

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #4601 on: June 06, 2023, 04:46:29 PM »
Greek-ish salad (tomatoes, celery, bell pepper, feta, onion, garden herbs) with Trader Joe’s falafel on the side. And home-grown brined olives on the side. Plus finishing off the bottle of wine we opened last night.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #4602 on: June 06, 2023, 05:58:00 PM »
it's cooling off and clouding over, so we're having a one-pan situation with layered sweet potato and green apple slices, poached in apple juice punched up with some cloves and mustard, with ham slices layered on top. And a salad, for green-ness. It's typically a fall dinner for us, but I just scraped some ham out of the freezer and it's a pretty fast and easy dinner...
Dang! Do you have a recipe or do you play this one by ear?

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4603 on: June 07, 2023, 09:25:10 AM »
Dang! Do you have a recipe or do you play this one by ear?

I think it was off an insert in a "Cooking Light" magazine a zillion years ago, but:

Put a bit of apple juice in a pan and heat. (I use 2 cups and a honking' 14 inch skillet, but scale for your eaters. You'll need something with a lid!). Add a bit of mustard (I like stone-ground, but used dijon yesterday, because that was open), and a couple sprinkles of ground cloves and some grated (or ground) ginger.
Add however many relatively thinly-sliced sweet potatoes will feed your crowd (for scale, I used two rather large sweet potatoes yesterday) Put the lid on.
After as long as it takes to cut up the appropriate number of Granny Smith apples into thin-ish wedges (I used three large, but 4 or even 5 would've been a better ratio), put them on top of the sweet potatoes and cover the pan.
Slice your ham (or use a ham steak. Or cut kielbasa on the bias to get larger diagonal slices...) and lay it on top, then re-cover while you mix a Tb or so (for my size batch: scale down if necessary) of cornstarch with enough water to get it dissolved, then pour that into the liquid and stir (as much as is possible to stir). The cornstarch only needs to be cooked for a minute or two to thicken, then pull off the heat and serve.

ETA: I forgot the ginger! And spelling...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 02:54:54 PM by jeninco »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #4604 on: June 07, 2023, 02:03:12 PM »
super easy and very tasty sounding. thanks!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4605 on: June 09, 2023, 02:41:48 PM »
Last night: Stuffed twice-baked potatoes, (stuffed with broccoli and cheddar) and a salad.
Tonight: Got a pot of chili going, will have with corn tortillas, mexican slaw, the last ripe avocado, cheese, and who knows what else.

Also: Ordered the next quarter steer, which will show up sometime in Sept... Gotta make freezer space, as it'll take up most of our (smallish) chest freezer.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4606 on: June 09, 2023, 03:15:12 PM »
chilequile night! We have one bag of frozen green salsa left from last summer's garden, a quarter pound-ish of precooked chorizo that I found shoved to the back of the freezer, and the bottom of a bag of tortilla chips.

Throw in a couple of eggs and we're good to go!

Really trying to get through the last of last summer's frozen produce. Almost there! Just some pesto cubes and a bag or two of blanched green beans left (I'll probably cook those up with a ham bone and potatoes later this week). 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4607 on: June 09, 2023, 04:10:00 PM »
Used up most of the leftovers on the fridge already, only thing left in there is some beef and a few broccoli florets.  Gonna make some rice and make it stir fry beef & broccoli. 

lentil

• Stubble
« Reply #4608 on: June 09, 2023, 04:32:44 PM »
Potato leek soup & cheddar-scallion drop biscuits. It's usually a fall/winter meal for me, but (a) big, juicy leeks were on sale this week and (b) it's pitch-black and raining/thundering outside, so I kind of feel like cozy soup.

Plus some fruits & nuts and a bottle of bubbles to celebrate the happy news about Pat Robertson this week. All in all, looking forward to a nice Friday night!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4609 on: June 09, 2023, 05:50:07 PM »
Pizza.
We have so much basil and it's trying to flower.

Tomorrow we will eat Gai Lan in something--super happy that our garden produced a heap of these already as it's our first year growing them :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 05:51:51 PM by Serendip »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4610 on: June 15, 2023, 07:50:07 PM »
We have leftover pork jowes that we used up for pasta carbonara, which we also threw some frozen peas into. And I roasted some beets that were hanging out in the crisper drawer.  And then I used the last bit of pizza dough that was hanging around for apple pizza, with a layer of ricotta and some bespoke local honey, which was just amazingly delicious.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4611 on: June 15, 2023, 09:49:03 PM »
We have leftover pork jowes that we used up for pasta carbonara, which we also threw some frozen peas into. And I roasted some beets that were hanging out in the crisper drawer.  And then I used the last bit of pizza dough that was hanging around for apple pizza, with a layer of ricotta and some bespoke local honey, which was just amazingly delicious.

Apple pizza? Do tell!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4612 on: June 16, 2023, 11:16:50 AM »
that apple pizza sounds so so good.

I made falafel and budget bytes "falafel salad" to have with some roasted potatoes and tzaziki...feeling very mediterranean with the warm weather!!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4613 on: June 16, 2023, 04:07:04 PM »

Apple pizza? Do tell!

Pretty much as described: I took some leftover bread/pizza dough out of the fridge and let it warm up.  (An entire large-loaf batch is: 3 c unbleached white flour, 3 c whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon yeast, 3 teaspoons kosher salt, stir. Add 4ish cups cool water and stir until it becomes a sort of shaggy damp dough, then stick the entire bowl in a plastic bag (it's very dry where I live, and this prevents the top from crusting up) and cover with a dishtowel. In an hour or so, and then every hour or so after that for a while, "stir", by which I mean stretch the bottom over the top while turning the bowl 1/4 turn 8 times or so. Then let it rise overnight. Or, you know, use whatever pizza dough recipe you like).  When it warmed up, I put some olive oil in a cookie pan, and push it around until it takes up the entire pan (mine dough is pretty damp. If yours is dryer, roll it out to take up the pan). Spread a decent but not too thick layer of ricotta. drizzle with a few tablespoons of raw local honey. Cover with overlapping thin slices of apple. Sprinkle with some cinnamon. Bake for a while (I think ours went in at around 400 degrees), keeping an eye one it.

If you don't have delicious honey, maybe consider adding a little vanilla to the ricotta before spreading it on.

Tonight, we're either going to have Allison Roman's frizzled chickpeas with arugula, or stuffed baked potatoes with cheddar and broccoli. Or both -- both sounds like a good idea!

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4614 on: June 17, 2023, 11:16:29 AM »
Making homemade pizza topped with leftover sauce and leftovers

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4615 on: June 17, 2023, 12:14:47 PM »
Chicken and Noodles!

I was planning on making Soup Avgolemono with a green salad from the garden, but StarBoy saw me making stock yesterday and said "Are we having chicken and noodles?! Yay!" and then he offered to help me make homemade noodles.

Since I'll never pass up a chance to spend time with (and train) my child in the kitchen - chicken and noodles it is!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4616 on: June 18, 2023, 02:46:05 PM »
Finally warmed up, so we're having a room-temp salad of shredded chicken, wild rice mix, asparagus pieces, and either honeydew or cantaloupe pieces (depending on which smells better to DH, who's tasked with bringing home the melon). And walnut cake with plum jam and whipped cream.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4617 on: June 18, 2023, 11:03:05 PM »
@jeninco that sounds amazing!

Last night was pretty complicated so tonight is going to be kimchi fried rice w leftover roast cauliflower and best of all, I’m not making it.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4618 on: June 19, 2023, 04:41:50 PM »
Got young adults in town helping me, so tonight we're having homemade falafel. We've procured zhaug, pita breads, lettuce, and hummus, and we'll make a tomato and cucumber salad.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4619 on: June 20, 2023, 11:15:48 AM »
pesto pasta salad with mozzarella and tomato and broccoli and zucchini

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4620 on: June 23, 2023, 06:30:37 PM »
lentil sloppy joes, roasted baby yukon potatos and green beans almondine

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #4621 on: June 24, 2023, 04:13:12 AM »
In Puerto Rico last night, bought shrimp (three 12 ounce bags for five bucks) and had taco night. Delicious.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4622 on: June 24, 2023, 04:11:15 PM »
Still have both kids at home for a little longer, so we're defrosting a couple of GIANT T-bones, and we'll grill them with skillet-cooked potatoes, garlic, and greens (cooked in a giant pan with loads of oil), steamed asparagus, and a multi-colored tomato salad. And almond and plum cake -- I'm hoping to finish up the plums in the freezer.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4623 on: June 24, 2023, 06:32:24 PM »
Found a brand that puts organ meat into their ground meat so I'm trying it for burgers and fries tonight. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4624 on: June 26, 2023, 01:09:32 AM »
Mushroom soup and corn bread

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4625 on: June 26, 2023, 10:47:34 AM »
homemade falafel, bulgur, grilled corn, homegrown tomatos and avocado bowls

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4626 on: June 26, 2023, 12:09:53 PM »
Fattoush, grilled chicken thighs with middle-eastern spice marinade, probably a green salad, as I need to harvest some lettuce from the garden.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4627 on: June 26, 2023, 08:42:53 PM »
Leftover beef patties with savory oatmeal and avocado. 

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4628 on: June 29, 2023, 05:54:15 AM »
pasta with "vegan white bean sauce".  New recipe for me.  Am working my way through the pantry as the "eat all the food in your house challenge" is an ongoing struggle!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4629 on: June 29, 2023, 02:09:19 PM »
I'm making spaghetti & meatballs + garlic bread & salad, as our teens are returning home from my parents house. We stuck to light/easy meals while they were gone, and cleaned up a bunch of one off freezer items, which was fantastic.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4630 on: July 10, 2023, 01:07:16 PM »
I'm on the upswing from COVID (feeling better, but still can't smell) so here's what I'm getting together for the next few evenings:

Last night: frittata with fresh onion, potatoes, tiny cubes of spicy salami, and a bunch of shredded kale. (along with eggs and cheese, obvs)
Currently cooking chicken thighs in a crockpot with some beer and hatch chilis for tacos one evening.

Yesterday I also grilled four or five huge eggplants sliced into planks, and a bunch of red and yellow peppers. Most of the eggplants will be eggplant involtini, (from smittenkitchen.com) now that I've done a large part of the work that'll be easy to assemble. I cut the peppers and the eggplant ends and smaller pieces into strips, and mixed in a bit more olive oil and garlic, and a spot of red wine vinegar. I have focaccia dough rising on the counter, and we'll have those things together, along with some little mozzarella pearls that have been languishing in the fridge.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4631 on: July 10, 2023, 05:22:38 PM »
We have multiple vegetables in our house that Need Using Up before they rot so tonight is either going to be zucchini slice with bok choi OR crispy gnocchi with pumpkin and mushroom. And tomorrow's dinner is going to be whichever one we didn't do today.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4632 on: July 11, 2023, 08:37:53 AM »
Pork (in a Hawaiian-esque marinade) kabobs with onion, watermelon, and a leftover zucchini (chunked), assuming the weather holds up enough for grilling tonight. (Otherwise, I think it's breakfast-for-dinner...)

Last night we did a one-pot basil zucchini pasta from NYT and it was pretty decent, given we're creatures of habit and usually just do pasta with marinara. Used up some basil we have been growing for the gremolata which *shrugs* The pasta was lovely without it.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4633 on: July 11, 2023, 10:38:03 AM »
@jeninco --glad you are feeling better, the loss of smell is such a weird symptom isn't it?!

For dinner I'm making Arepas w/ black beans & salsa verde. We have cilantro plants that had to be pulled in the garden so found a recipe that uses a lot of it-- from the cookbook "One Pot, Pan, Planet". I've never made arepas before but they look tasty..like puffy tacos :)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4634 on: July 11, 2023, 10:59:46 AM »
@jeninco --glad you are feeling better, the loss of smell is such a weird symptom isn't it?!

For dinner I'm making Arepas w/ black beans & salsa verde. We have cilantro plants that had to be pulled in the garden so found a recipe that uses a lot of it-- from the cookbook "One Pot, Pan, Planet". I've never made arepas before but they look tasty..like puffy tacos :)

So very, very weird! I still can't smell hardly anything, but yesterday's focaccia smelled distinctly yeasty when it was time to pull it from the oven!  I'm remembering to pay attention to what I CAN taste, mostly sweet, salty, bitter, tangy (?) and I can feel "astringent" in my mouth. Oddly, I can also "feel" "spicy" -- I pulled an overripe radish from the garden this morning, and could detect that it was spicy, but not distinguish, if that makes sense?

We're probably having a cold soba salad this evening, as it's supposed to be 95+ this afternoon. It'll be interesting constructing a dressing...

Please let us know how the arepas turn out! I've been curious to try making them!
(And if you have additional cilantro, I've had luck turning all the non-woody parts into a dressing with olive oil, lime juice, and some chipotles in adobo, using a stick blender to grind everything up until it's smooth -- it can be quite thick!)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4635 on: July 11, 2023, 04:30:49 PM »
I made pasta (pumpkin ravioli) for the first time yesterday. I didn't roll it thin enough so I'm going to try again today. I remembered that the bread machine has a pasta dough setting - it should get kneaded for longer than I had patience for which should allow it to roll better.

Anyone else managed it without a pasta machine?

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4636 on: July 11, 2023, 04:57:56 PM »
Pork (in a Hawaiian-esque marinade) kabobs with onion, watermelon, and a leftover zucchini (chunked), assuming the weather holds up enough for grilling tonight. (Otherwise, I think it's breakfast-for-dinner...)

Last night we did a one-pot basil zucchini pasta from NYT and it was pretty decent, given we're creatures of habit and usually just do pasta with marinara. Used up some basil we have been growing for the gremolata which *shrugs* The pasta was lovely without it.

Zucchini season has begun!

We're having zoodles mixed with ramen tonight. I use homemade stock cubes and make a lemon grass broth and then and top it with some chili crunch. It is pretty yummy and hides the zucchininess pretty well.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4637 on: July 11, 2023, 05:05:49 PM »

@Serendip you can also use the cilantro stems and roots as the base for Thai curries. They also freeze well for future curries.
@jeninco I could taste 'salty' and tangy so I focused on making sure meals had a variety of textures because that gave me something interesting to notice.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4638 on: July 11, 2023, 06:35:56 PM »
I found a new recipe that's destined to be one of my favorites, pasta alla trapanese.

Take fresh garlic cloves, chopped tomatoes, sliced almonds, bread crumbs and torn basil leaves. Sautee together in olive oil until the flavors blend, the garlic is toasted golden and the tomatoes cook down into a sauce. (Some recipes say to mash all those ingredients together in a mortar and pestle to make a pesto, but you can skip that step and it works just fine.) Then combine with the pasta of your choice and top with grated parmesan, salt and pepper and more olive oil.

I added sliced zucchini to bulk it out, and that worked beautifully.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4639 on: July 12, 2023, 04:32:40 AM »
clean out the fridge pre travel night:

soyrizo/corn tacos for me and the lad, and breakfast for dinner for DH.  We call the week before travel the "Grocery Store challenge" and consider it a failure if we have to go to the store before we leave for a trip.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4640 on: July 12, 2023, 04:14:28 PM »
Tacos with the chicken thighs I stewed and shredded on Monday. Corn tortillas, avocados, black beans, jack cheese, and slaw.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4641 on: July 13, 2023, 11:21:44 AM »

Please let us know how the arepas turn out! I've been curious to try making them!
(And if you have additional cilantro, I've had luck turning all the non-woody parts into a dressing with olive oil, lime juice, and some chipotles in adobo, using a stick blender to grind everything up until it's smooth -- it can be quite thick!)

The arepas didn't really work out but the recipe called for cornmeal
...and then I found this recipe which seems to say masa harina would be a better option so I'll try that next time
https://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-arepas/

thankfully they still tasted good even as they were sticking to the pan and/or falling apart--so we piled the beans and salsa verde on top and ate it like 'deconstructed arepa bowl' :)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4642 on: July 13, 2023, 01:18:59 PM »
Serendip, "bowl" covers so much territory! Glad things tasted good, at least!

We're having eggplant involtini (AKA "rollatini") with the eggplant I grilled at the start of this week. All that's left to do is mix some cheeses together, make a little tomato sauce, roll up the already-grilled eggplant planks some some cheese in the center and plop them into the sauce, and bake the whole thing while figuring out what (if any) side dishes we want.

My taste is still wanky from COVID, so it'll be interesting to try to get the garlic level correct...

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4643 on: July 13, 2023, 10:02:21 PM »
Noodles with tofu and vegetables.

The other day I got a 2kg bag of drumsticks on sale for $6* and we roasted them with a honey soy glaze. So far that's provided 6 meals and there are another 2 servings left, so $0.75 a serve.
* we are in Australia, please don't @ me with American chicken prices.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4644 on: July 14, 2023, 04:57:54 PM »
Salisbury steak, mashed taters and asparagus.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4645 on: July 14, 2023, 09:56:28 PM »
We used this recipe since we grew a bunch of napa cabbage. Super tasty. Only modification was adding ginger.
Had it with tricolour rice and roasted japanese turnips.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/stir-fried-napa-cabbage-spicy-garlic-dressing

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4646 on: July 15, 2023, 12:33:30 PM »
Tonight we're BBQing, and having friends over.

Tri tip roast
Spicy beans
Fresh local corn

There will be cocktails and wine, and something dessert-y.

Yay, summer!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4647 on: July 16, 2023, 07:10:57 PM »
We both tested negative for COVID this morning, whoop! Now we just need to get our immune systems to stand down... (yes, persistent cough I'm talking about YOU!)

Tonight we had a salad in the "nicoise" family, but with grilled pork: the base was cooked potato and green-bean with a light vinaigrette, topped with black olives, capers, sliced and dressed tomatoes, flash-cooked little asparagus spears, sliced grilled pork, and hard-boiled potato halves (topped with a tiny bit of salt and some Aleppo pepper, because it looks pretty and tastes wonderful). All with a garlicy green-goddess-type dressing.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4648 on: July 16, 2023, 08:07:06 PM »
It's going to be last night's chilli turned into a pasta bake if my husband can be convinced to leave it alone and not eat it for his lunch.

@jeninco woot woot on covid negative!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #4649 on: July 16, 2023, 08:15:28 PM »
Pancit canton
Really customizable Filipino dish, noodle based with lots of veggies and protein.

Cheap to make and absolutely delicious.

Breakfast tomorrow will be skyr and a coffee.
Lunch will be pancit leftovers.
Dinner will be rice and beef stir fry.
Protein shake in there somewhere, I have to start using it up again as I have a whole container I’ve barely touched.

Recipe: https://panlasangpinoy.com/pancit-canton-recipe/