Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 962008 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #4550 on: May 06, 2023, 05:21:20 PM »
Good old cheeseburgers with crispy lettuce, homemade oven fries with spices and a gorgeous crunchy salad! Who needs to go to a fast-food restaurant?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4551 on: May 06, 2023, 06:09:53 PM »
Spaghetti & meatballs + garlic bread

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4552 on: May 06, 2023, 07:27:31 PM »
Lentil soup with mustard greens.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4553 on: May 07, 2023, 06:49:11 PM »
Beautiful day, and burgers were on sale at the grocery store, so we grilled. Delicious.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4554 on: May 08, 2023, 04:53:01 AM »
Roasted vegetables over parmesan polenta!

Mushrooms and Zuccini were on heavy discount at the store and I already had bell peppers and tomatoes and red onions.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4555 on: May 09, 2023, 01:33:47 PM »
Does anyone have a good instant pot recipe for boneless pork butt? It was on sale so I picked up a few lbs (I'll probably divide and freeze). It's going to be a warm week so I would rather use the IP and not heat up the apartment. I have a bottle of BBQ sauce, or some carrots and potatoes I could make into some kind of stew... I dunno, looking for inspo.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4556 on: May 09, 2023, 01:41:02 PM »
Does anyone have a good instant pot recipe for boneless pork butt? It was on sale so I picked up a few lbs (I'll probably divide and freeze). It's going to be a warm week so I would rather use the IP and not heat up the apartment. I have a bottle of BBQ sauce, or some carrots and potatoes I could make into some kind of stew... I dunno, looking for inspo.

We make this IP pork chili verde pretty regularly and it's great. We more often make what's essentially the same recipe but with chicken thighs just because that's what we tend to have on hand, but both versions are awesome. The peppers can generally be substituted for whatever you have available or want to scale up/down spice-wise.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4557 on: May 09, 2023, 03:11:33 PM »
Made some very random veggie burgers so hopefully they are somewhat tasty and hold together! ( I took snippets of inspiration from recipes and also substituted ingredients)

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4558 on: May 09, 2023, 04:37:26 PM »
@Serendip--that's the only way I cook!!!

I always tell my family they should enjoy each meal as a one-off, because they are never likely to have that exact dish again!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4559 on: May 09, 2023, 07:45:40 PM »
@Josiecat23503 , that's also how we roll!

We had "son of nicoise salad", with grilled pork chops. So, german potato salad (it's much more delicious if you cut up and dress the potatoes while they're warm) mixed with steamed green beans, topped with little tomatoes, olives, and slices of grilled pork, with (homemade) green goddess dressing poured over top.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4560 on: May 09, 2023, 08:27:55 PM »
@jeninco @Josiecat23503 --I usually follow a bit more closely for things I'm not familiar cooking but these were a success even with all my modifications.. My partner was surprised at how much he liked them (he's quite carnivorous) there were even words like "excellent" and "maybe the best I've ever had" tossed around :)

here is the main recipe I drew from
https://cookieandkate.com/best-veggie-burger-recipe/print/23420/

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4561 on: May 09, 2023, 08:32:30 PM »
@Dollar Slice this is a banger https://www.justonecookbook.com/instant-pot-asian-pulled-pork/
@Serendip i’m on the hunt for a new veggie burger recipe so thanks!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4562 on: May 09, 2023, 09:44:54 PM »
@Dollar Slice this is a banger https://www.justonecookbook.com/instant-pot-asian-pulled-pork/

Thanks, I could probably do this with slight alterations with ingredients on hand! Do you think I could sub in something for the alcohol? I don't really keep alcohol around. Maybe rice wine vinegar?

(Thanks to turketron for the suggestion also - that one would be tougher for me since I don't have a blender or food processor and would need to make another grocery trip...)

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4563 on: May 10, 2023, 04:16:10 AM »
@jeninco- Nicoise salad is one of my faves!! I had it at a Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago by a girlfriend raised in France and it was so good.  Mine has never come close, but it is definitely going on the menu soon!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4564 on: May 10, 2023, 04:19:35 AM »
@Dollar Slice this may be too late but I’d sub rice wine vinegar for sure.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4565 on: May 10, 2023, 10:39:40 AM »
@Dollar Slice this may be too late but I’d sub rice wine vinegar for sure.

Thanks!

I wrote that just before midnight and you answered just after 6AM in my time zone, so don't worry, I did not cook the pork shoulder in between our posts :-D I'll do it today or tomorrow*.

* Or cut it up and put it in the freezer if I'm overcome with pain/fatigue/ennui because the last two weeks have been a real roller coaster for this body of mine.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4566 on: May 13, 2023, 06:37:34 AM »
Peanut noodles with carrots, broccoli and red pepper and marinated tempeh

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4567 on: May 13, 2023, 08:15:49 AM »
Homemade pizza in a cast iron pan, topped with leftovers

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4568 on: May 14, 2023, 06:02:48 AM »
Japanese barbecue wings and an Asian chopped salad.

Bachan’s bbq sauce from Costco-marinate wings for 30 minutes-wings also from Costco at $2.49/lb. About 1/2-1 cup of sauce per dozen wings.

Bake on parchment lined cookie sheet at 400 for 35-45 minutes until crispy

Put leftover marinade in a small saucepan. Add 1t. of cornstarch and about the same of minced garlic.
Thicken it up. Add some sesame seeds. Toss cooked wings in the sauce. Serve with chopped green onions and a sprinkle of sesame seeds on top. So easy. So yummy!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4569 on: May 14, 2023, 02:10:06 PM »
Cold pizza.

I made a strange veggie pizza last night to use up fridge odds & ends...put a sun-dried tomato slather on the bottom then zucchini, tomato & roasted potato.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4570 on: May 14, 2023, 07:08:52 PM »
Chicken shawarma inspired charcuterie dinner. Shawarma, tzatziki, pita crackers, hummus, cucumbers, bean salad, and cucumber slices. Accompanied by Godiva chocolate clearance bake-at-home cookies ($9) for 36? Served with generic cookie dough ice cream from Lidl.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4571 on: May 14, 2023, 11:50:09 PM »
Classic cookout for Mother's Day... although Mom (sadly) still did a lot of the work since Dad can't do a lot of things any more and I'm injured. I helped as much as I could manage :-)  Chips and guac, cheeseburgers on the grill, asparagus and potato salad.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4572 on: May 18, 2023, 10:29:02 AM »
lentil sloppy joes and salad. 

I've made this recipe before and it is really tasty.  And I made some spicy pickles this week, so they add a little zesty crunch.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4573 on: May 18, 2023, 11:29:53 PM »
Think it's going to be tortilla with scrambled eggs and avocado. Half the house is out and I did enough cooking yesterday making vegetable soup and seedy gluten-free bread.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4574 on: May 19, 2023, 07:04:46 AM »
Fish and chips with Cole slaw. Unless the hubs is not coming for dinner-then probably cold cereal.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4575 on: May 19, 2023, 09:18:15 AM »
southwestern salad with impossible chikn nuggets

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4576 on: May 19, 2023, 09:47:36 AM »
lentil sloppy joes and salad. 

I've made this recipe before and it is really tasty.  And I made some spicy pickles this week, so they add a little zesty crunch.

I'd love to know your recipe if you're willing to share! Both for the lentil sloppy joes and the spicy pickles.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4577 on: May 19, 2023, 11:38:55 AM »
@sadiesortsitout, you got it!

Lentil Sloppy joes:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/lentil-sloppy-joes-8306118?soc=sharepin

Pickles: (recipe is for carrots, but I've used the brine for a bunch of veg.  DS's favorites is english cucumbers, my girlfriends like cauliflower and carrots in our bloody mary's!)

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a26977661/pickled-carrots-recipe/?epik=dj0yJnU9d2I4X0Q5Znc2bGdlbkJ1Y3VVUFJZOWJpbThGYjBxRnQmcD0wJm49YWQxb1pzdjF2bEJTRTBSZm5qNGxCdyZ0PUFBQUFBR1Juczg0

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4578 on: May 19, 2023, 11:46:07 AM »
Thank you, @Josiecat23503 !

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4579 on: May 19, 2023, 12:21:31 PM »
Chicken shawarma inspired charcuterie dinner. Shawarma, tzatziki, pita crackers, hummus, cucumbers, bean salad, and cucumber slices. Accompanied by Godiva chocolate clearance bake-at-home cookies ($9) for 36? Served with generic cookie dough ice cream from Lidl.

My older kid is graduating college on Sunday, and we're taking a picnic that's similar to this idea (it's about 2-hours away, and we're driving a group up for the day):
pita breads
hummus
zhaug if I can find it
Little hand-sized spanakopita (Costco, pre-cooked before I pack them)
greek salad
stuffed grape leaves (which I will be buying)
roasted veggies and chicken
grapes, apricots
lovely little Persian pastries
probably also nuts and dried fruit -- I'm going to the Persian specialty store anyhow, so it's likely I'll wind up with a few more tasty things, probably also halvah.

Prosecco and seltzer water. Possibly a bit of beer.

I still have some prep work to do, but I'm genuinely looking forward to sitting in the college's amphitheater and having this picnic!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4580 on: May 19, 2023, 02:11:26 PM »
@jeninco , trader Joe's sells a pretty good zhoug if you have one nearby. And- your menu sounds delicious!!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #4581 on: May 20, 2023, 03:01:15 PM »
We have so much tarragon ready in the garden, so we are doing shrimp rolls tonight.

Anyone else’s have a favourite tarragon heavy recipe?

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4582 on: May 20, 2023, 05:22:09 PM »
Tri tip on the smoker, served with crash hot potatoes and beans.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4583 on: May 22, 2023, 09:04:32 AM »
Breakfast for dinner: eggs (thank goodness they're reasonable again!), some breakfast sausages we had a coupon for, fruit that's on its last legs, and Aldi cinnamon raisin toast. If we have some leftover tortillas (makes a note to check the cupboard) we'll skip the CR toast, add some cheese to the eggs, and make breakfast burritos. 

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4584 on: May 22, 2023, 09:06:00 AM »
Chicken noodle soup, but instead of noodles, potatoes.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4585 on: May 22, 2023, 10:33:02 AM »
Burritos --homemade mashed pinto beans, rice, sautéed peppers, cilantro & smashed avocado w/lime

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4586 on: May 23, 2023, 08:11:19 AM »
Pork Chops Marsala in crockpot!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4587 on: May 25, 2023, 07:47:50 AM »
@jeninco , trader Joe's sells a pretty good zhoug if you have one nearby. And- your menu sounds delicious!!

There's one within biking distance, (or walking, if I'm up for a reasonable walk) and that's what I usually purchase!
And -- it went really well. Lovely day, everyone enjoyed lunch, worked out well.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4588 on: May 25, 2023, 07:50:48 AM »
We have so much tarragon ready in the garden, so we are doing shrimp rolls tonight.

Anyone else’s have a favourite tarragon heavy recipe?

I love the flavor of licorice, so I really like tarragon.  It's a classic ingredient in chicken salad. I'd also personally use it in a green goddess-style dressing (oil, vinegar or lemon juice, a clove of garlic, all the soft-ish parts of the tarragon, maybe some parsley, -- way more herbs than you think -- grind to oblivion with a stick blender. Add salt & pepper to taste)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4589 on: May 25, 2023, 08:25:47 AM »
@jeninco —we are growing tarragon as well so thanks for the idea

Making a lemon ricotta pasta with sorrel.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4590 on: May 25, 2023, 04:06:00 PM »
Sesame chicken and broccoli for the fellas and vegetables dumplings for me.  Meant to make sesame tofu, but didn't get the tofu defrosted in time

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4591 on: May 31, 2023, 09:01:31 AM »
It's warm(ish) weather here! Time to start in with the whole-meal salads!

Tonight, we'll be having a salad with a base of a lundburg rice mix (it's 4 or 5 different colors of rice), pieces of steamed asparagus, some shredded chicken (or chopped -- we'll see how I feel like cooking it later today, but it'll be poached or grilled), some ripe cantaloupe (fingers crossed that's OK when I cut into it), and probably some finely chopped red bell peppers for color. Some heavily herb-infused vinaigrette (or perhaps arugula -- ours is just about to bolt, and I should use more of it).

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4592 on: May 31, 2023, 01:19:56 PM »
@jeninco, love summer salads for meals!  Still in the cooler weather here, so working through the pantry....

Today is General Tso's tofu with broccoli and cucumber and red onion salad.  Tomorrow is red lentil and zucchini fritters with lemony yogurt sauce.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4593 on: June 03, 2023, 02:42:35 PM »
I went to the farmer's market this morning, and one of the fancy-pants stands had cardoons! I've eaten them once, and cooked them never, so I came home with a pound of stems, trimmed and peeled them and they just finished blanching. We're going to try them Sicilian-fried: they get dipped in a thin batter, then pan-fried.

Along with, we'll probably have something easy like a frittata -- I also bought some giant purple turnips, and I generally try to use up things like turnip greens in the first day or so to avoid them going soft, so I image it'll be a greens and potato frittata, with a turnip salad on the side.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4594 on: June 03, 2023, 03:20:28 PM »
We’ve been doing some real tail of the last meal cooking. Leftover jasmine rice and Korean beef got turned into tiny pies. The pastry scraps got brushed with the remaining egg mixed and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and baked after the pies. Last night the veggie chili was turned into enchiladas and eaten with pickled slaw, which gave a nice crunch. Tonight will be chicken koftas with some more of the slaw.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4595 on: June 03, 2023, 06:52:30 PM »
Smoked tri tip with roasted small potatoes and spicy baked beans.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4596 on: June 03, 2023, 08:13:23 PM »
Leftovers. Chicken w/black bean sauce, rice and garden greens

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4597 on: June 05, 2023, 04:14:43 PM »
Yesterday was a really rainy, dark day, so I busied myself making a bunch of vegan treats for the young teen of a friend who's been having medical issues and is now VERY underweight. And vegan. It took me the better part of the afternoon to get bean patties to firm up (I probably should've followed a recipe more closely), but in addition to vegan PB cookies and almond-butter brownies, we eventually turned out red lentil patties, flavored with a touch of north African spices (I think I used a mitmara blend) and black bean patties with corn and a touch of chipotle.  I hauled samples of everything over to the friend's house, with a request that they let me know what the kid did/didn't like, and (if possible) why, so I have more information to work with on the next try.

I would rate my bean "burgers" as worse than grass-fed beef, better than Impossible Burgers. So I'm actually fairly pleased!

Tonight: something easy -- depending on how the weather goes, either spring rolls, or asian noodle-veg-tofu salad with peanut sauce, or miso soup with all the same ingredients dropped into it. (rice noodles, asparagus, tofu, carrots, slivered red peppers and green onions...)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4598 on: June 05, 2023, 05:56:37 PM »
I made a big pot of from-scratch chicken soup. It's not really soup weather, but I haven't been feeling well, and chicken soup always hits the spot.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4599 on: June 06, 2023, 04:18:13 PM »
Chicken salad sandwiches! I got boneless chicken breast on sale, poached it, shredded it and mixed with mayo, and served on fresh whole-wheat rolls from the bakery.

I served it with sliced cucumbers for crunch, tomatoes for acid, and corn on the cob.