Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950039 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #450 on: February 12, 2019, 11:50:50 AM »
Thai red curry with beef and cabbage, from here: https://nwedible.com/thai-red-curry-cabbage-salad/

Super fast and easy (and not many ingredients, especially since we skipped the herbs), and served with rice that we threw in a rice cooker.

Bonus: there are leftovers for lunches.
That sounds amazing. Even if it does have fresh coriander in it. Thanks - I think I will definitely be trying this one out.

Oh yum!  I love larb, and am always looking for new ways to use ground beef.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #451 on: February 12, 2019, 01:01:17 PM »
Broccoli cheddar soup and biscuits.  Perfect for a snowy/freezing rain day.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #452 on: February 12, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »
Cod filets, fat red onion slice, broccoli, EVOO, butter, lemon pepper, garlic powder, dash of cayenne.  Serve/mop up the drippings over a slice of whole wheat bread.  Was very satisfying.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #453 on: February 12, 2019, 02:46:28 PM »
I've made this at least 20x's its so easy and am making tonight. If you like baked Porkchops and rice and want to make it all together this is a win   http://joyslife.com/easy-baked-pork-chops-and-rice-recipe/   along with that will have a veggie, Salad and some bread. Yes we eat bread in our house.  I usually use rice a roni long grain vs the Uncle Bens. Same difference but usually a tad cheaper
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:56:32 PM by soccerluvof4 »

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #454 on: February 12, 2019, 04:56:38 PM »
I'm making bourbon chicken with rice and broccoli. So fast and easy.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #455 on: February 12, 2019, 05:44:23 PM »
If I can wake up (night shifts...) I'll try using my new pasta maker for the first time, and just do some simple noodles with a little butter and garlic.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #456 on: February 12, 2019, 06:19:45 PM »
Chorizo and kale ragu served over polenta made in the Instant Pot.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #457 on: February 12, 2019, 06:57:10 PM »
From-scratch marinara sauce and from-scratch turkey meatballs over brown rice spaghetti (Aldi).

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #458 on: February 12, 2019, 08:04:08 PM »
Homemade celery-potato soup with grilled cheese on wheat

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #459 on: February 12, 2019, 08:04:41 PM »
Chorizo and kale ragu served over polenta made in the Instant Pot.
Yum!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #460 on: February 13, 2019, 09:08:57 AM »
Shrimp Enchiladas Verdes, made in the form of a tortilla casserole (so layers of corn tortillas, shrimp, refried beans, corn, chopped green chilis, and salsa verde, with jack cheese). Slaw of red cabbage and carrots with a bit of rice vinegar. In the oven, on a timer, so it's ready to pull out when we all get back at 7 pm.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #461 on: February 13, 2019, 12:26:49 PM »
This is going to sound weak but we have everyone going and coming tonight so I made a beef roast in the slow cooker, Veggies with a cheese sauce and Hamburger Helper (used Turkey). Everyone can heat up as they come and go. Not running a restaurant tonight! lol

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #462 on: February 13, 2019, 02:14:39 PM »
Not so weak... sounds pretty good! 

I forgot to soak beans for chili, so I have the following choices:
- try cooking them in my new Instant Pot anyway
- spaghetti with red sauce

I have oatmeal bread dough rising in a bowl.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #463 on: February 13, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »
This is going to sound weak but we have everyone going and coming tonight so I made a beef roast in the slow cooker, Veggies with a cheese sauce and Hamburger Helper (used Turkey). Everyone can heat up as they come and go. Not running a restaurant tonight! lol

Pot roast is never weak.

I had both a huge, tight-deadline client project and a public event for one of my volunteer organizations today, so I'm just finishing up my work day. Husband didn't get home until 7:15. He's currently sauteing bacon and onions to put on top of a frozen pizza because we're classy like that.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #464 on: February 13, 2019, 08:30:43 PM »
Sous vide leg of lamb and tons of roasted veggies.  Sounds fancy, but I literally cook the lamb in the vacuum pack it comes from the butcher in, then season and brown it in the oven for 10 minutes.  We'll be eating the leftovers cold tomorrow with garlic aioli.

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #465 on: February 14, 2019, 07:44:13 AM »
I pretty much do all the meal prep here, tonight it's a new recipe to us, spicy bean burgers made with pinto beans and russet potato home made fries. This is from the Blue Zones Solution, we have been trying to eat Mediterranean/Blue Zones diet more lately, the kids even like most of the meals. :-)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #466 on: February 14, 2019, 09:22:01 AM »
Shrimp scampi, hopefully. With pasta and sautéed onions and peppers and a bottle of prosecco. We don't go out for Valentine's Day, but we do like a good meal and don't often cook shrimp.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #467 on: February 14, 2019, 09:27:49 AM »
It's been a crazy few days, with power outages. So, assuming we have power, we're having leftover tacos (because last night we had to go out - see no power). I'm planning to have wine with the super glam dinner, for Valentine's Day. :-) 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #468 on: February 14, 2019, 10:52:12 AM »
Shrimp cocktail, champagne, salmon burgers and salad.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #469 on: February 14, 2019, 11:29:51 AM »
Picking up some salmon from Costco today (on sale) and using up some baby potatoes I have at home to make "hot crash potatoes" for me and my daughter.  She's 12.  Now that it's just the 2 of us (ever other week), I'm including her more in the shopping, decision making and some of the prep and giving her cooking tips.  I want her to have solid life skills when she's an adult, and being able to make good (and inexpensive) food at home is going to help her a lot I hope.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #470 on: February 14, 2019, 03:01:44 PM »
Santa Maria tri tip
Baby fingerling potatoes
Salad
Red wine

Chocolate!!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #471 on: February 14, 2019, 04:40:03 PM »
A frozen dinner that purports to be General Tso's Chicken. Spicy. It's none of these things, but today it's a triumph that I am simultaneously sitting upright and eating. I'm so sick, I've been eating Hot Pockets while lying flat on my back in order to get in the food I have to take the antibiotics with. (Guess who ran out of Hot Pockets?)

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #472 on: February 14, 2019, 06:35:25 PM »
dairy free ben and jerry's!

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #473 on: February 14, 2019, 07:22:22 PM »
I made vegan eggroll in a bowl! It's so good, I didn't even have some of the ingredients and it turned out fantastic. It's a keeper for sure!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #474 on: February 14, 2019, 08:36:30 PM »
A frozen dinner that purports to be General Tso's Chicken. Spicy. It's none of these things, but today it's a triumph that I am simultaneously sitting upright and eating. I'm so sick, I've been eating Hot Pockets while lying flat on my back in order to get in the food I have to take the antibiotics with. (Guess who ran out of Hot Pockets?)

Aw, so sorry to hear you are sick!  Is there nobody to help you? :~(

We ate poorly today.  Mr. Poundwise is on a business trip so we are in survival mode. I was responsible for school snack and made a pasta salad that the children didn't like. Too lemony, I guess.  Tried to salvage it for dinner by adding tomato sauce, more mozzarella, and baking it, but my kids didn't care for it. Too lemony again, I guess. 

At least everybody had their fill of strawberries and chocolates!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #475 on: February 15, 2019, 02:46:46 AM »
Last night we did breakfast night since its my youngest favorite and he is leaving this morning with his team to Vegas for a Soccer Tournament. So we made some pretty big skillets with Hash Browns, Ham, Sausage, Corn Beef Hash, Toast, Cheese etc..the kitchen sink!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #476 on: February 15, 2019, 06:59:41 AM »
Tonight I'm making chicken vegetable soup to clean out the fridge, and a loaf of sourdough.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #477 on: February 15, 2019, 08:22:23 AM »
Foe Valentine's Day, I made Veg. Lasagne with bargain ingredients from the Dollar Store/Grocery Outlet. Found some fancy green lasagne sheets. Used them to make two 8" x 8" pans. Stuffed with sauteed onions, mushrooms, spinach, zucchini and riced cauliflowe. Made cheese filling with ricotta from the freezer, plus mozzarella, parmesan, eggs and fresh parsley. It was yummy. Best of all, I have another meal ready to go.

While I was making the lasagne, I chopped up a bunch of sale-purchased chicken breasts and poached them in stock. I got enough for four meals. I'll make chicken noodle soup out of the poaching stock. Kept one portion in the fridge and froze the rest.

As long as the oven was fired up, I made individual heart-shaped brownie volcano cakes for my peeeps.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #478 on: February 15, 2019, 09:43:22 AM »
Going to bake a Bone in Turkey Breast. Not sure yet what I will make with it yet but thats on the Menu as Item #1

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #479 on: February 16, 2019, 12:02:32 AM »

Aw, so sorry to hear you are sick!  Is there nobody to help you? :~(

We ate poorly today.  Mr. Poundwise is on a business trip so we are in survival mode. I was responsible for school snack and made a pasta salad that the children didn't like. Too lemony, I guess.  Tried to salvage it for dinner by adding tomato sauce, more mozzarella, and baking it, but my kids didn't care for it. Too lemony again, I guess. 

At least everybody had their fill of strawberries and chocolates!

I think I'm on the mend, and my husband is home now. Sorry to hear about the lemony pasta salad and the children. It sounds pretty good to me.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #480 on: February 16, 2019, 12:47:08 AM »
I'm making a sweet potato and chickpea currry with couscous. It's really you but I'm not sure the kids will like it. It's close to vegan but I add fish sauce to it so it's not really vegan.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #481 on: February 16, 2019, 09:15:53 AM »
Herbed, brie-stuffed pork chops, asparagus (I get so happy when it goes on sale!) and roasted new potatoes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #482 on: February 16, 2019, 09:17:08 AM »
Pot roast and mashed potatoes.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #483 on: February 16, 2019, 12:08:06 PM »
- thai red curry with kabocha squash
- shepherds pie w/mashed cauliflower topping
- roasted broccoli, roasted cauliflower
- sautéed cabbage

I cook all of my food for the week on Saturdays

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #484 on: February 16, 2019, 03:18:26 PM »
Homemade noodles, with butter and roasted garlic, topped with chicken and bacon (just have to boil the noodles and cook the bacon, everything else is all ready).

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #485 on: February 16, 2019, 04:46:58 PM »
Using a bunch of stuff I have laying around, I am making a dinner of chicken-fried steak with steamed rice and kernel corn and garlic bread with some homemade peppermint stick ice cream for dessert. It's the weekend. Time for some comfort food! :-)

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #486 on: February 16, 2019, 05:19:31 PM »
Using a bunch of stuff I have laying around, I am making a dinner of chicken-fried steak with steamed rice and kernel corn and garlic bread with some homemade peppermint stick ice cream for dessert. It's the weekend. Time for some comfort food! :-)

I wish I had stuff laying around to make your dinner! That sounds amazing!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #487 on: February 16, 2019, 05:32:31 PM »
Pork fried rice!   The key to good fried rice, I find, is cooking the rice beforehand and putting it in the refrigerator over night.  Otherwise it turns mushy.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #488 on: February 16, 2019, 05:48:13 PM »

I'll be over soon... that's my favorite ice cream flavor! Yum!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #489 on: February 16, 2019, 08:02:19 PM »
Pork fried rice!   The key to good fried rice, I find, is cooking the rice beforehand and putting it in the refrigerator over night.  Otherwise it turns mushy.

All true, but if you ever want it in a hurry, use brown rice.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #490 on: February 17, 2019, 04:51:49 PM »
Having spaghetti with meat sauce. Using leftover meatloaf chunks in my sauce and some leftover frozen sausage. Should be very tasty!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #491 on: February 17, 2019, 08:49:25 PM »
Green curry with tuna over rice.  Extra green because I blended in spinach for extra veg.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #492 on: February 17, 2019, 11:35:14 PM »
Tonight I used 1/4 of the chicken I mentioned upthread. I put two cups of the leftover stock from that prep session into the IP, along with 2 cups organic brown rice, 1 pound of fresh, exotic carrots (white, purple, yellow) and 1 pound frozen green beans. Hit 20 minutes on the IP and made a salad. I quick released the IP so the rice didn't get mushy. I warmed the chicken separately and the meat eaters piled it on top of their rice & veg. I have a variety of sauces in the fridge I'm trying to use up, so everyone topped theirs with something different. You know it's good when there are no leftovers.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #493 on: February 18, 2019, 09:35:02 PM »
Stuck-pot rice with lentils and yogurt from the Smitten Kitchen blog. I served it with berberi-seasoned baked salmon. Husband wants to have it again soon.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #494 on: February 19, 2019, 05:45:55 AM »
I made vegan eggroll in a bowl! It's so good, I didn't even have some of the ingredients and it turned out fantastic. It's a keeper for sure!
What did you sub the meat for? Or did you just omit it? This is one of my favorite dishes, I bought everything yesterday to make it for a second week in a row. :D

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #495 on: February 19, 2019, 06:01:57 AM »
Last night was chicken tinga tacos with corn tortillas.  I finally caved and got storebought tortillas, because they're just so much work to make fresh and I really wanted to try the chicken tinga recipe.  It came out very well, and was super easy to make, so this will definitely be going on the regular rotation.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #496 on: February 19, 2019, 07:30:26 AM »
Last night I roasted chicken thighs with Italian herbs, and slices of butternut squash with Urfa chile and coconut oil.  On the side we had a little kale-blueberry salad.

We have leftover green curry and rice, so tonight I'm just going to heat it up and augment it with a some stirfried tofu and asparagus.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #497 on: February 19, 2019, 06:10:25 PM »
Going to a "one bowl" cooking class tonight, so I'll find out when I get there (they demonstrate the cooking, we eat whatever they made afterward).  It's free, put on by a local 7th Day Adventist church, so it will most likely all be vegan, or very close to vegan.  I was raised to support the cattle industry, but it doesn't hurt to try some new foods!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #498 on: February 19, 2019, 09:33:56 PM »
I just realized that my "on the way out" fresh spinach can be wilted and used in a beef/rice bowl.  Add a little melted butter, yum.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #499 on: February 20, 2019, 03:13:13 AM »
Yesterday I started the grill season, as the pile of snow on the terrace have reduced a bit, to there was place to put the grill out.

I marinated boneless chicken thighs in yoghurt for a whole day. This is something I learned from the cook at work. She makes it when we barbecue during the summer party. I should have added lemon juice, thyme and black pepper, but I did that before putting the chicken on the grill.
I also sliced a sweet potato and cut a red pepper in half for on the grill. I had Brussel sprouts in the oven in wild garlic oil and covered with grated parmesan cheese. Found the recipe on the internet.

The grill was very warm when I started. I added the chicken thighs and the vegetables and closed the lid. Than I went inside to do other stuff, and because it was cold outside. Found out later that the grill had almost stopped. Eventually I had to leave the lid open to make the chicken thighs and the sweet potato slices well done. I also should have used more charcoal. DH often fill only half the grill with charcoal, as we are only 2 people, and I followed his example. But I had enough stuff that I needed a bit of a bigger area. So I had to juggle a bit.

Lessons learned:
- Don't be cheap on charcoal and use more
- Stay outside and look at the grill often
- Don't close the lid in the beginning when frying meat
- I need to grill more often to get practice

But the chicken was well done, but soft. The yoghurt marination made it mosty. The other stuff tasted also well.