Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 951568 times)

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #3550 on: December 15, 2021, 05:53:46 PM »
One of those pouches of Madras lentils and raw veggies (carrot, radish, celery).  Herbal tea. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3551 on: December 15, 2021, 07:44:53 PM »
From-scratch chicken and vegetable soup. Goat cheese and crackers on the side.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3552 on: December 15, 2021, 08:32:16 PM »
Yesterday: Caldo tlalpeño with turkey stock and shredded turkey I threw in the freezer right after thanksgiving.
Tonight: Colcannon (kinda: somewhat sautéed cabbage mixed with mashed potatoes and glued together with a copious amount of sharp chedder, tossed back into a big pan and cooked until the bottom was crispy, then under the broiler until the top was, too) with small amounts of grilled kielbasa and a grilled eggplant (the eggplant just needed to be used up, it was getting soft).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3553 on: December 15, 2021, 09:32:34 PM »
I tried my hand at a Persian recipe over the weekend (fesenjan, which is a chicken, walnut & pomegranate stew over rice). My Persian husband went back for seconds, so I'm considering it a moderate win. We had that for leftovers tonight. One of the teens didn't like the flavors, so he made himself spaghetti & meatballs.

We're in a "clean out the fridge" phase, before we head out for the holidays.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3554 on: December 16, 2021, 06:28:01 AM »
I tried my hand at a Persian recipe over the weekend (fesenjan, which is a chicken, walnut & pomegranate stew over rice). My Persian husband went back for seconds, so I'm considering it a moderate win. We had that for leftovers tonight. One of the teens didn't like the flavors, so he made himself spaghetti & meatballs.

We're in a "clean out the fridge" phase, before we head out for the holidays.

This sounds amazing. Do you have a favorite recipe?

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3555 on: December 16, 2021, 07:30:02 AM »
Well last night I made a crescent roll and little smokies wreath for dinner along with roasted radishes and red onions.  It was a clean out the refrigerator kind of night. No one complained though.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3556 on: December 16, 2021, 08:18:12 AM »
@Sugaree - my husband says this isn't the traditional prep method, but we all thought it was great, so ... https://persianmama.com/chicken-in-walnut-pomegranate-sauce-khoresht-fesenjan/

I also didn't add the full amount of sugar, as we didn't want the dish to be "sweet". I added maybe a tsp and then tasted. I did add a couple of sprinkles of extra salt, so I'd recommend tasting a final time before the last few minutes of cooking, & then adjusting to your preference. Definitely serve over a great basmati rice, and don't forget to top with fresh pomegranate seeds. I ordered the pomegranate molasses off of Amazon. We made this to use up our pomegranates from our tree in the yard, so it was reasonably seasonal :-)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3557 on: December 16, 2021, 02:20:02 PM »

Anon-E-Mouze

• Stubble
« Reply #3558 on: December 16, 2021, 04:24:11 PM »
Reheated leftover casserole with roasted fennel and carrots, white beans and toasted breadcrumbs in a creamy, vegan sauce.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3559 on: December 22, 2021, 06:26:42 PM »
Chili with pinto and kidney beans and a half-lb of pulled pork from the freezer.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3560 on: December 22, 2021, 07:20:18 PM »
jambalaya

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3561 on: December 22, 2021, 08:46:15 PM »
Pad Thai with tofu for a vegetarian guest.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3562 on: December 22, 2021, 11:28:38 PM »
Sous vide pork ribs finished on my gas grill accompanied with a garden salad and white rice.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3563 on: December 23, 2021, 04:28:03 PM »
Pho with shrimp

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3564 on: December 24, 2021, 09:14:26 PM »
My older son's in town for a little bit, so he and I made fresh squash ravioli, from a huge blue hubbard squash I cooked in the fall and froze most of (after taking it out back and cutting it up with a hatchet: it was too big to use a kitchen knife).  Served with browned butter and fried sage leaves.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #3565 on: December 24, 2021, 09:34:53 PM »
Christmas Eve = Tamales with red chile and a bowl of posole.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3566 on: December 25, 2021, 06:41:21 AM »
I have no idea. Last night, the in-laws fed us crown roast of pork, stuffing, mashed potatoes, a fancy salad, and homemade chocolate mousse. MIL was very excited to have everyone home after missing last Christmas and two Thanksgivings due to COVID concerns.

We were planning something fancy today, but after that heavy meal I'm thinking about either bean-bacon soup or a light shrimp stir-fry.

Anon-E-Mouze

• Stubble
« Reply #3567 on: December 25, 2021, 10:28:59 AM »
DH is sick (probably not COVID but we're not sure yet) and MIL is recuperating with us as she recovers from carpal tunnel surgery (so one of her arms is in a cast). Traditionally, her side of the family has a very formal Christmas dinner, and everyone dresses up (black tie-level dress up, e.g. she'd be in a floor-length gown). I wanted to give her the dress-up Christmas she longs for.

Because DH is sick, we're stuck in the house - and her dress-up outfit, Christmas presents for us, and some ingredients for the meal are all in her apartment on the other side of town. We also don't have a Christmas tree, because DH got sick just before he went to pick one up. (He's been travelling a lot for work in the last couple of weeks.) So we're decorating a houseplant instead.

I had planned a multi-course vegan feast for dinner tonight (including a mushroom wellington), but since we can't all be in the same room while DH is sick, and no one really feels like getting dressed up a the moment, we're going to postpone Christmas dinner until DH is not showing any symptoms.

Thankfully, I have some mini vegan "roast beasts" from Gardein in the freezer for emergencies like this, and I'll steam some carrots and sugar snap peas and roast a few potatoes. So we'll still have a nice Christmas dinner, TV-dinner style, with DH eating in his office, connected to us via Zoom, and MIL and I will eat in the kitchen/lounge.

NB - We are taking lots of precautions even if DH only has a cold because both of us are booked for scarce COVID boosters on Dec 28 and 30th, and we'll get turned away if we're at all sick with anything. I really need my COVID booster because I'm supposed to travel to Vancouver in a couple of weeks to help take care of my Dad, who is undergoing chemotherapy and radiation.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3568 on: December 25, 2021, 08:39:27 PM »
Grilled chicken thighs, marinated in ginger garlic vinegar soy, keeping it simple.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3569 on: January 01, 2022, 01:42:55 PM »
Black eyed peas, greens, cornbread. 

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3570 on: January 01, 2022, 03:33:57 PM »
baked rockfish, rice, salad. Rockfish was caught by a friend of ours.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3571 on: January 04, 2022, 10:13:59 AM »
White bean, kale and sausage stew with a salad on the side.  Leftover brownies for dessert.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3572 on: January 04, 2022, 11:22:51 AM »
Baked lemon and herb salmon and rice.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3573 on: January 04, 2022, 11:29:36 AM »
tacos! (with lentils instead of ground beef)

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3574 on: January 04, 2022, 11:34:43 AM »
Just had fresh walleye that I caught through the ice a couple days ago for lunch.
Walley, fries & tarter sauce.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3575 on: January 04, 2022, 07:23:53 PM »
Jo jo's, baked flipped, and baked some more, dipped in sour cream.
Guilty pleasure.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3576 on: January 04, 2022, 07:41:09 PM »
What is that?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3577 on: January 04, 2022, 11:56:19 PM »
Visiting my parents for belated holidays after a variety of illness/life-induced delays... my mom had a new recipe she wanted to try. A whole chicken in a dutch oven with leeks, carrots, and orzo cooked in chicken broth with lemon juice, garlic and thyme. Served with a baguette and butter. Pretty tasty!

Bonus: mom realized she had forgotten to buy more chicken broth when she did a grocery pickup today and used her very last box in the pantry for this recipe. She had wanted to make potato leek soup with the rest of the leeks she had, but the recipe calls for broth and she had none left. I offered to make chicken stock with the carcass in the Instant Pot after dinner, so now we've got enough homemade stock to make the soup, and it was free, and it will be better than storebought. :-) 

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3578 on: January 05, 2022, 02:30:41 AM »
What is that?

If you're asking about jo jo's, it's what we call gas station deli potato wedges, at least in Oregon and Washington.
Mine are not breaded and pressure fried but baked.
After quartering potatoes I mix them in spices (garlic salt, pepper, chili powder, etc,) and olive oil, lay them on a baking sheet. Twenty minutes on one side, flip, another 18 minutes on the other side, @ 400*.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3579 on: January 07, 2022, 11:22:14 PM »
Bonus: mom realized she had forgotten to buy more chicken broth when she did a grocery pickup today and used her very last box in the pantry for this recipe. She had wanted to make potato leek soup with the rest of the leeks she had, but the recipe calls for broth and she had none left. I offered to make chicken stock with the carcass in the Instant Pot after dinner, so now we've got enough homemade stock to make the soup, and it was free, and it will be better than storebought. :-)

Last night we had pizza, and tonight I used some leftover pizza dough to bake some garlic-butter breadsticks to serve with the potato leek soup we made with the rest of the leeks and chicken broth from Tuesday night's dinner. Bonus: we put some carrots into the soup as well since my mom found some already peeled and cut carrot sticks in the fridge that needed using up.

You have to love it when your meal plan comes together like that :-)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3580 on: January 08, 2022, 05:10:41 AM »
I'm making chicken pot pie to use up some chicken and random vegetables from the freezer.  Homemade crust. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3581 on: January 10, 2022, 12:40:47 PM »
Beef tacos tonight

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3582 on: January 10, 2022, 12:56:47 PM »
tortilla soup tonight. Using up open chicken broth, tasteless deli turkey meat, about-to-go-bad cilantro, some corn tortillas, and the last of the monterey jack cheese.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3583 on: January 10, 2022, 12:57:34 PM »
Continuing the theme....fish tacos tonight!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3584 on: January 10, 2022, 08:23:14 PM »
From-scratch broccoli rice casserole and baked chicken.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3585 on: January 11, 2022, 11:03:33 AM »
It's beef tacos for Taco Tuesday.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3586 on: January 14, 2022, 10:13:17 PM »
We had leftover chicken tikka masala & rice

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3587 on: January 14, 2022, 10:43:45 PM »
Homemade white bean soup with butternut squash, kale, and leeks, and turkey and swiss cheese sandwiches.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3588 on: January 14, 2022, 10:49:50 PM »
We had leftovers from a new recipe we tried, crispy gnocchi with blistered tomatoes and mozzarella and it was kinda to die for.

I have lots of complex carb-tomato-mozzarella baked dishes, so I didn't think this one (with potato gnocchi rather than linguine or farro or couscous like the others) would be of much interest. But it was tasty and came together in about 20 minutes. It's probably paywalled, but I'll send it along if anyone's interested and cannot access: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1022024-crispy-gnocchi-with-burst-tomatoes-and-mozzarella

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3589 on: January 15, 2022, 07:50:16 AM »
@sui generis do you find the NYT cooking sub to be worth it? I keep toying with the idea as almost every recipe I see from there looks awesome (and then paywall . . .)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3590 on: January 15, 2022, 08:27:35 AM »
@sui generis do you find the NYT cooking sub to be worth it? I keep toying with the idea as almost every recipe I see from there looks awesome (and then paywall . . .)

I'm not sure how much it would cost alone, and honestly I'd probably say no.... I'm not much of a subscription person and we have had a few duds. But DH is an old-timey paper newspaper subscriber and it comes with, so I've been trying to make more use of it. Maybe if I was a better or more passionate cook I'd have a stronger opinion, but I think I could more then make do with all the free recipes and blogs out there if I didn't have NYT

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3591 on: January 15, 2022, 08:54:42 AM »
Thanks!

Anon-E-Mouze

• Stubble
« Reply #3592 on: January 15, 2022, 10:06:28 AM »
I'm going to make vegan lasagne this weekend, although it's a two-day process (because I don't feel like prepping and cooking for 3 hours all in one go). So I'll make the tomato/Beyond Sausage sauce and the cashew cream sauce today. Tomorrow I'll make the mushroom layer (sauteed mushrooms, cashew cream sauce, plus a bit of baby spinach), and then assemble and cook the lasagne.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3593 on: January 15, 2022, 12:26:14 PM »
We'll be in a cabin at Tahoe, so picking up a pizza at Costco while we gas up. The ultimate lazy dinner. I have a bagged salad, in a nod to veggies.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3594 on: January 15, 2022, 02:02:44 PM »
me, nothing. kids are cooking tonigh!  orange chicken, broccoli, and fried rice.  wacky cake for dessert.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3595 on: January 15, 2022, 04:01:18 PM »
Butter turkey with a dollop of greek yogurt, some fresh naan, and pan fried mushrooms.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3596 on: January 15, 2022, 07:34:49 PM »
Chorizo vegetable stew on polenta

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #3597 on: January 16, 2022, 12:20:30 AM »
Fresh caught Kahawai (fish) three ways.

Raw in ika mata.
Cooked in batter.
Smoked on the bbq.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3598 on: January 16, 2022, 12:33:38 AM »
Fresh caught Kahawai (fish) three ways.

Wow! :-)   Impressive.

Had to wing something this week when my grocery delivery was missing some major ingredients - no bread for sandwiches, no meat for the entrees I was planning, etc. I got rice and a bunch of vegetables so I used pantry ingredients to make a sort of vegan chili over rice with a can of black beans, seasoning, enchilada sauce and a small can of tomatoes. Came out pretty good and I was able to use up all the perishables I ordered.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3599 on: January 16, 2022, 04:29:14 AM »
Impressive prep of the fresh fish @gooki !

Tonight I'm going to make a big pot of chili and some cornbread muffins.  Good winter weather comfort food.