Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950123 times)

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #350 on: January 22, 2019, 02:09:01 PM »
Going to reheat some veggie burgers from the freezer and serve with fresh spinach and avocado on potato buns.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #351 on: January 22, 2019, 03:15:01 PM »
Tonight is chicken tikka masala with rice.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2019, 05:02:02 PM »
On my own for the night, so I was super extra classy with it. Cheap $1 frozen cheese pizza, folded in half so I don't even need a knife or plate. I did tuck some steamed broccoli and cauliflower inside it so it would be "heathy," but in the name of full disclosure, they were a precut frozen mix, and I "steamed" them in the microwave.

Win?

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2019, 05:40:37 PM »
Quinoa (1 minute cook time in the instant pot with 10 minutes of rest time)
Dollop of pesto
Avocado slices
Hard boiled egg
Pulled pork (leftover)
Sprinkle of everything but the bagel seasoning

It’s a good fast bowl meal.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #354 on: January 22, 2019, 05:45:47 PM »
On my own for the night, so I was super extra classy with it. Cheap $1 frozen cheese pizza, folded in half so I don't even need a knife or plate. I did tuck some steamed broccoli and cauliflower inside it so it would be "heathy," but in the name of full disclosure, they were a precut frozen mix, and I "steamed" them in the microwave.

Win?

Veggies are usually frozen at peak freshness, steaming them doesn't add any unnecessary fat and salt that the pizza has plenty of, steaming in the microwave is just as legit as on the range, and that cruciferous stuff is a good protein boost.  Sounds like a win to me.

We were stuck inside yesterday thanks to the ice and the bitter cold, and we had short ribs in the freezer, so I took a crack at galbijjim, a sweet and spicy Korean short rib and root veggie stew.  I saw the recipe on NYT Cooking  https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019918-han-oak-galbijjim

Not going to lie--it was quite the project.  Probably 3 hours in total.  But oh man, was it good.  And so many delicious leftovers!

Definitely going to have to be making galbi jjim soon, thanks for sharing!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #355 on: January 22, 2019, 05:59:34 PM »

Win?

A frugal and unique version of a vegetarian flatbread sandwich. Win.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #356 on: January 22, 2019, 06:03:01 PM »
I think tonight's dinner will be this Budget Bytes recipe for not-butter chicken over jasmine rice. I'm craving Indian food but don't have a lot of time to prep or stand over a stove today, and this will at least give me the right flavor profile.

This was really good. I added a can of white beans (drained) to boost the protein and fiber, a couple handfuls of chopped spinach for color and nutrition, and a few extra generous shakes of cayenne. Served it over cilantro-lime rice made in the instant pot. The leftovers are going to be fantastic.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #357 on: January 23, 2019, 03:40:40 AM »
Getting clobbered with snow yesterday and today so yesterday I put a beef roast in the slowcooker and made (to my kids) my famous mashed potatoes and steamed mix veggies.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #358 on: January 23, 2019, 06:38:49 AM »
Tonight I'm making white bean alfredo, with shell pasta and brussel sprouts (probably steamed?  haven't decided yet.)  Soaked the beans overnight, and I've got them in the crockpot today to cook before I get home.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #359 on: January 23, 2019, 08:27:55 AM »
Last night, I made a modified version of ... well, I was aiming for this:https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/quick-pasta-and-chickpeas-pasta-e-ceci/, but I grabbed the wrong recipe and made one that started with a mashed-up mixture of onions, celery and carrots. And I used dittallini. It was kinda a whole bowl full of ho-hum: not a winner, and there are leftovers. (I may form them into patties and fry them in butter and put them out as after-school snacks.)

Tonight: https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/sausage-and-potato-roast-with-arugula/
We all love it, and there won't be leftovers.

krmit

• Stubble
« Reply #360 on: January 23, 2019, 12:21:58 PM »
Split pea soup cooked with a ham bone left over from Christmas.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #361 on: January 23, 2019, 04:36:04 PM »
Mixed greens salad with home made vinaigrette, crushed walnuts, dried cranberries and 2 fried eggs on top.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #362 on: January 23, 2019, 05:59:36 PM »
Black beans and rice.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #363 on: January 24, 2019, 03:39:30 AM »
Burgers and Mac n cheese

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #364 on: January 24, 2019, 08:49:23 AM »
DH has caught my cold, alas. I decided to make chicken soup with dumplings, from ingredients on hand. Turned out so well there were no leftovers, boo.

Side note: I do my grocery shopping at low-cost places. Occasionally, I like to peruse the aisles of fancy-pants groceries (FP), mostly so I recognize their brands when I see them at my regular haunts. I had a half an hour to kill yesterday, so I cruised the fancy pants store near my house.  OMG, I almost peed my pants! Many items were more than double what I usually pay. Egads! Earlier in the day, I purchased some fettuccini at Grocery Outlet for $1.49/pound and was berating myself for spending so much. At the FP store it was on "sale" for $2.69/lb. At GO, I passed on Quaker Oats at $3.49, because I know Costco is cheaper. The same item was $6.79 at the FP store. Eeks!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #365 on: January 24, 2019, 11:33:35 AM »
DH has caught my cold, alas. I decided to make chicken soup with dumplings, from ingredients on hand. Turned out so well there were no leftovers, boo.

Side note: I do my grocery shopping at low-cost places. Occasionally, I like to peruse the aisles of fancy-pants groceries (FP), mostly so I recognize their brands when I see them at my regular haunts. I had a half an hour to kill yesterday, so I cruised the fancy pants store near my house.  OMG, I almost peed my pants! Many items were more than double what I usually pay. Egads! Earlier in the day, I purchased some fettuccini at Grocery Outlet for $1.49/pound and was berating myself for spending so much. At the FP store it was on "sale" for $2.69/lb. At GO, I passed on Quaker Oats at $3.49, because I know Costco is cheaper. The same item was $6.79 at the FP store. Eeks!

My absolute favorite example of this is cans of pozole (AKA hominy). In FP store, it's around $4 for a littlish (1-2 lb) can. At our local Kroger-affiliate, in the "Industrial Food-size" section, it's about $4 for a 110 oz (that's just under 7 lbs) can. I've decided that, basically, the cost is for the can and the contents just come along for free! (We use it for pozole stew, and use about half the huge can for a dinner. I drain and toss the rest in the freezer in a gallon-sized ziplock and use it for another batch later. Or I make it all and freeze the finished stew.)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #366 on: January 25, 2019, 04:14:01 AM »
Last night we did our build your own burrito bar. Sooo good and I actually made mine with a healthy spinach wrap which was good as well.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #367 on: January 25, 2019, 09:21:04 AM »
It's a good question. I'm thinking homemade pizza. Lots of work traveling, so my energy is super low. I'd love a healthy soup or something, but don't think I'm up to that kind of a challenge today.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #368 on: January 25, 2019, 10:09:52 AM »
Burns Night tonight, so neeps and tatties, but I'm not about to tackle making a haggis, nor am I going to buy one. (Nor, frankly, do I have all that much desire to eat one.)

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #369 on: January 25, 2019, 10:50:30 AM »
Burns Night tonight, so neeps and tatties, but I'm not about to tackle making a haggis, nor am I going to buy one. (Nor, frankly, do I have all that much desire to eat one.)

Aye, I ken, but it's no so bad wi' a right bit o' whisky sauce.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #370 on: January 25, 2019, 12:42:29 PM »
Gotta figure out something to use my green beans, chicken and rice.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #371 on: January 26, 2019, 04:46:06 AM »
Didnt make dinner! wasted $ and went out last night. Felt like shit after.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #372 on: January 26, 2019, 06:23:05 AM »
Last night, husband turned leftovers into fried rice with pork. I promised meatloaf and mashed potatoes a few days ago, so that might be tonight's dinner.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #373 on: January 26, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
Today we convinced two couples we were going to go out for dinner with, to let us pick up 2 rotisserie chickens instead, let one couple take care of dessert, the other sides, and everyone can bring something to drink.

Instead of an easy $150-200 (total for 6 of us) night out. We will be able to do something waaaaay more fun for 20-30% of the price =)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #374 on: January 26, 2019, 07:32:13 PM »
I found a recipe on MMM (apologies, can't remember who posted it), but we tried it tonight. It was great. One pot Greek meatballs with lemon dill rice

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #375 on: January 26, 2019, 07:47:09 PM »

That was our weakness last year (although my spouse would beg to differ, ha!). Made it a goal to not eat out as much this year. Yeah I typically feel like shit afterwards. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #376 on: January 26, 2019, 08:47:25 PM »
Last night, husband turned leftovers into fried rice with pork. I promised meatloaf and mashed potatoes a few days ago, so that might be tonight's dinner.

Okay, so I decided it was more important to finish a big knitting project today and made frozen pizza (the good gluten-free kind from Costco) instead of cooking. We were already planning to go out for date day tomorrow (to a restaurant safe for my dumb celiac gut). I’ll be home all day Monday, so we’ll have meatloaf then.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #377 on: January 27, 2019, 03:26:16 AM »
Fried rice. I've been making a batch every week the past...3 weeks? Seems like a great thing for us to have on hand. If we don't eat it for dinner, bf has it for lunch! I also enjoy it as breakfast.

Also made choc chip cookies due to an odd craving. We don't keep choc chips, so I broke up an old bar from the fridge.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #378 on: January 27, 2019, 04:10:29 AM »

That was our weakness last year (although my spouse would beg to differ, ha!). Made it a goal to not eat out as much this year. Yeah I typically feel like shit afterwards.

Yea we really dont get out that much and decided we need to try more often. The meal was good portion not to big but they had one of those salad bars with everything on it including the pasta salads etc... And I just over indulged. For four hours I felt like I ate a Thanks Giving dinner.

Last night we kept it simple. Made some Chicken Quarters in the oven, Broccoli and a small side of pasta.  Weekends like to make no brainer meals.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #379 on: January 27, 2019, 07:46:42 AM »
Last night, my son made pasta carbonara, with creme brulee and sponge cake for dessert.

Tonight, I'm going to try a new instant pot recipe, honey garlic chicken, with some legs I pulled out of the freezer two days ago.  I might get a large pizza from Dominos as well ($5.99 for a large, 2 topping, carry out). 

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #380 on: January 27, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »
Friday: chile (mostly beans, with meat sauce) with all the things, including a big salad.
Saturday: I was out from 5 am - 5 pm, so MrInCO made lentil and potato salad (a yummy recipe including chopped sour pickles), green salad, and grilled pork chops.
Today: cheese grits topped with scallops and mushrooms in a bit of tomato sauce, with cooked greens.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #381 on: January 27, 2019, 10:59:47 PM »
had dinner with a friend at her house, we made a huge, delicious salad w/pepperoni, salami, pepperoncini, artichoke hearts, crumbled gouda cheese, kalamata olives, tomatoes, avocado all on top of a huge bed of lettuce. YUM. She is trying hard to do lower carb eating right now, and we usually do pizza night, so this was a great substitute she really enjoyed!

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #382 on: January 28, 2019, 05:48:30 AM »
Last night was corn chowder with biscuits and butterscotch pudding for dessert. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #383 on: January 28, 2019, 07:22:44 AM »
I only cook Friday-Sunday, and we eat leftovers the other nights. Tonight we'll have Greek meatballs with lemon dill risotto.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #384 on: January 28, 2019, 02:25:41 PM »
Last night was corn chowder with biscuits and butterscotch pudding for dessert.

yummy!

Lasagna and Garlic Bread tonight!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #385 on: January 28, 2019, 03:00:26 PM »
Chicken parm and spaghetti!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #386 on: January 28, 2019, 03:42:17 PM »
Street tacos!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #387 on: January 28, 2019, 04:14:43 PM »

My absolute favorite example of this is cans of pozole (AKA hominy). In FP store, it's around $4 for a littlish (1-2 lb) can. At our local Kroger-affiliate, in the "Industrial Food-size" section, it's about $4 for a 110 oz (that's just under 7 lbs) can. I've decided that, basically, the cost is for the can and the contents just come along for free! (We use it for pozole stew, and use about half the huge can for a dinner. I drain and toss the rest in the freezer in a gallon-sized ziplock and use it for another batch later. Or I make it all and freeze the finished stew.)
And don't forget, you can use the #10 tin cans to make hobo stoves, lol!

I got a screaming deal on big, fancy tortillas that Winco sells for about $4.00/10. They are h-u-g-e and so yummy! I found them for $1.49 at Grocery Outlet, so I bought three packages. I think it's going to be big, big burrito night tonight.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #388 on: January 28, 2019, 04:30:10 PM »
Looks like tonight will be burgers, oven fries, and sautéed green beans.

Tortillas sound good. I hope to make a batch tonight or tomorrow for chicken tinga tacos.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #389 on: January 28, 2019, 09:13:12 PM »
Made the honey garlic chicken last night, with basmati rice.

Tonight I made fried rice with last night's leftover chicken and rice, and made more chicken with the legs I didn't use last night, cooking them in the oven with the leftover sauce from last night's chicken.

Made for a quick, easy dinner.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #390 on: January 29, 2019, 09:45:28 AM »
Egg roll in a bowl + cauliflower rice

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #391 on: January 29, 2019, 06:52:27 PM »
Tinga de pollo (chicken stewed in tomato-chipotle sauce), black beans, and homemade corn tortillas.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #392 on: January 29, 2019, 09:18:17 PM »

I got a screaming deal on big, fancy tortillas that Winco sells for about $4.00/10. They are h-u-g-e and so yummy! I found them for $1.49 at Grocery Outlet, so I bought three packages. I think it's going to be big, big burrito night tonight.

You can just about use them for a hobo bathtub, really. I always look at them in the recycling and think "I should be able to do something with that!" Wash basin, maybe?

Camping stoves are made from cat-food tins or aluminum soda cans: https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/diy-how-to-make-an-alcohol-stove-from-soda-cans

Your tortillas sound yummy!

We had caldo tlalpeno,  (there should be a tilda over that "n", but I don't know how to do that?): a lovely chicken (in this case turkey pieces from the freezer) and vegetable soup mostly flavored with chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, and served with avocado, tiny mild cheese cubes, and chopped cilantro. I kinda forgot to eat much for lunch today (and I don't really eat breakfast) so I had three bowls...

(Looks like we had a cousin to what OtherJen had!)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #393 on: January 30, 2019, 03:52:18 AM »
Made this last night and I highly recommend it. When all the kids like it  and they adults you found a winner. I stuck to the recipe exactly other than I didnt have ritz crackers I used Townhouse instead. Otherwise to the T.

https://laurenslatest.com/creamy-ranch-chicken-casserole/

Made a garlic chicken veggie loaded pasta for a side and a side of green beans.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #394 on: January 30, 2019, 04:57:20 AM »

Tilde: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/make-tilde-n-spanish-keyboard-53959.html

You can just about use them for a hobo bathtub, really. I always look at them in the recycling and think "I should be able to do something with that!" Wash basin, maybe?

Camping stoves are made from cat-food tins or aluminum soda cans: https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/diy-how-to-make-an-alcohol-stove-from-soda-cans

Your tortillas sound yummy!

We had caldo tlalpeno,  (there should be a tilda over that "n", but I don't know how to do that?): a lovely chicken (in this case turkey pieces from the freezer) and vegetable soup mostly flavored with chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, and served with avocado, tiny mild cheese cubes, and chopped cilantro. I kinda forgot to eat much for lunch today (and I don't really eat breakfast) so I had three bowls...

(Looks like we had a cousin to what OtherJen had!)

Dixie_Amazon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #395 on: January 30, 2019, 08:17:50 AM »
Slow cooker carne asasda for tacos tonight. I used some stew meat I had in the freezer instead of skirt steak. 

Recipe: https://showmetheyummy.com/slow-cooker-carne-asada-recipe/

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #396 on: January 30, 2019, 03:27:23 PM »
I'm not sure if it will be tonight's dinner, or just few dinners later this week, but I have 2 lbs of tofu ($2.45 at the restaurant supply store).  I don't think I've ever cooked with tofu.

I have some hot and sour soup base that I bought a while ago.  I also have some pickled ginger.  I might just add the tofu to the soup base, with some other stuff (no idea what "goes", but I have carrots, onion, garlic, and mushrooms all on hand).

I love to experiment, so bought it to do that.  Figured it would be a pretty cheap food to play with and see if I like it in some form or other.  I also have a tofu lasagna recipe and another one (a tofu and lentils or red beans?) that I know is edible.  Got those two recipes from vegan/vegetarian cooking class I went to last year.

I'm a confirmed meat eater, but I just really like trying new foods, so we'll see how it goes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #397 on: January 30, 2019, 05:37:34 PM »
I'm not sure if it will be tonight's dinner, or just few dinners later this week, but I have 2 lbs of tofu ($2.45 at the restaurant supply store).  I don't think I've ever cooked with tofu.

I have some hot and sour soup base that I bought a while ago.  I also have some pickled ginger.  I might just add the tofu to the soup base, with some other stuff (no idea what "goes", but I have carrots, onion, garlic, and mushrooms all on hand).

I love to experiment, so bought it to do that.  Figured it would be a pretty cheap food to play with and see if I like it in some form or other.  I also have a tofu lasagna recipe and another one (a tofu and lentils or red beans?) that I know is edible.  Got those two recipes from vegan/vegetarian cooking class I went to last year.

I'm a confirmed meat eater, but I just really like trying new foods, so we'll see how it goes.

You could roast it. I like to do this and toss the roasted cubes in stir-fry. They hold together much better.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #398 on: January 30, 2019, 06:18:12 PM »
We went out last night & I have regrets (seriously, how many times do i need to eat dairy to remember that my body doesn't like it, even though I LOVE the taste). So, we'll have last night's plan tonight. Egg roll in a bowl + cauliflower rice.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #399 on: January 30, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »

You could roast it. I like to do this and toss the roasted cubes in stir-fry. They hold together much better.

Thank you!  I even have everything for the sauce! Well, except tamari, but I can just use soy sauce.  I even restocked my grape seed oil yesterday (I buy a big container and split it with my parents-- my mom doesn't like olive oil).