Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 960191 times)

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #3400 on: September 19, 2021, 09:38:05 AM »
Salmon burgers. Fabulous Food Network recipe.
I catch and eat a lot of salmon and I am a complete salmon snob.
I found some chinook tail sections hidden in the freezer from 9/20, tail sections I save for deep frying since they have very little fat content compared to the other cuts (so they are not as mouth wateringly oily).
But I decided to try this recipe last month, I'd never actually made patties before.
So good!
I think it's the lemon zest, you really can't go wrong with lemon zest.

I'd love the recipe, if you're willing to link it! I love salmon patties.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/perfect-salmon-burgers-recipe-2105786

Enjoy

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3401 on: September 19, 2021, 09:53:15 AM »
Sesame egg noodles with wilted spinach and edamame beans

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3402 on: September 19, 2021, 10:12:59 AM »
Salmon burgers. Fabulous Food Network recipe.
I catch and eat a lot of salmon and I am a complete salmon snob.
I found some chinook tail sections hidden in the freezer from 9/20, tail sections I save for deep frying since they have very little fat content compared to the other cuts (so they are not as mouth wateringly oily).
But I decided to try this recipe last month, I'd never actually made patties before.
So good!
I think it's the lemon zest, you really can't go wrong with lemon zest.

I'd love the recipe, if you're willing to link it! I love salmon patties.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/perfect-salmon-burgers-recipe-2105786

Enjoy

Thank you! Looks great.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3403 on: September 19, 2021, 10:14:22 AM »
Husband has wanted to cook a pork shoulder in the smoker for weeks, but we didn't have the fridge space for the overnight marinade. Now we do, so tonight's dinner will be smoked pork shoulder, cilantro-lime coleslaw, and roasted root veggies.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3404 on: September 20, 2021, 01:39:34 PM »
I ordered 1/4 steer, so we're trying to make space in the freezer (I really need to defrost it before the new beef comes, but it's not looking likely that I'll get it empty enough. I may resort to using all our coolers for a few hours...

Saturday: used a 1.5 lb piece of brisket and a package of roasted poblano to make green chili. Served with tortillas, avocado, "slaw" (shredded carrots and red cabbage with a little rice vinegar), and... probably some other stuff.
Sunday: brunch was huevos rancheros with more of the rather hot green chili. Dinner was pasta salad: I made a ton in the hopes that some people (esp. DS 17) can use it for lunches and afternoon snacks. It contains almost 50% vegetables, along with pesto and mozerella balls and tiny salami slivers.

Tonight: going to be https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/09/stuffed-eggplant-parmesan/ which is amazingly delicious.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3405 on: September 20, 2021, 02:12:21 PM »
I think I'm gonna make a chicken casserole. Mostly for lunch, because I have food that my sister made for dinner. But it's multi part and thus I don't really want to take it to work for lunch (am out at clients).

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3406 on: September 20, 2021, 02:32:45 PM »
I think I'm going to cook up some chicken fingers and then use them as a topping for a salad.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3407 on: September 20, 2021, 03:40:56 PM »
Pizza hotdish.  Super easy, make 1 lb of spaghetti, mix with a couple eggs in a cake pan, top with pizza sauce, cheese, meats and bake. 

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3408 on: September 20, 2021, 11:06:31 PM »
Well, I had my third salmon burger in three nights, "didn't want it to go to waste"
Tomorrow night, salad with feta andddd, smoked salmon.
The horror!

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #3409 on: September 21, 2021, 08:19:36 AM »
I have half a loaf of sourdough to use up, so I think we'll do tuna melts and roasted asparagus.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3410 on: September 21, 2021, 01:44:14 PM »
tacos/ burritos.  Salad.

I chopped up 3 anaheim peppers, an onion, and a zucchini, and will roast in the air fryer for the burritos
we have two ripe romas (one went bad, oops) and some limes
Canned refried beans
A ripe avocado...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3411 on: September 21, 2021, 02:12:49 PM »
Well, I had my third salmon burger in three nights, "didn't want it to go to waste"
Tomorrow night, salad with feta andddd, smoked salmon.
The horror!

Those salmon burgers were a big hit as last night's dinner, with sides of green salad and roasted delicata squash. Thanks again for the recipe.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3412 on: September 21, 2021, 02:14:56 PM »
I'm exhausted after poor sleep and high stress (heavy work and other responsibilities, should ease up in a couple of weeks).

Tonight's dinner will be simple: Budget Bytes' Kielbasa and Cabbage Skillet and a side of roasted red potatoes.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3413 on: September 21, 2021, 09:54:31 PM »
It was vegan grilled cheese and tomato soup tonight. Easy, comforting.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3414 on: September 22, 2021, 06:38:56 AM »
I got home at midnight and was up for work at 0330.  Tonight's dinner will be whatever I can throw together in less than 3 minutes before I pass out from exhaustion.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3415 on: September 22, 2021, 08:41:20 AM »
Baked portobello mushroom caps stuffed with beef, bean, and veggie taco filling (homemade spice blend), with a bit of cheese on top and quinoa pilaf on the side.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3416 on: September 22, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »
It's been a really intense few weeks of work, so pulling out the freezer options. We had tacos (meat previously prepped & frozen). Simple & easy. Keto diner had it over a salad, everyone else in a tortilla

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3417 on: September 23, 2021, 05:39:25 AM »
Yesterday I made Cajun corn chowder, kind of an odd recipe with coconut milk, corn, potatoes, and red lentils, but turned out well

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3418 on: September 23, 2021, 01:45:56 PM »
This week I made one of my go-to fall recipes, a sweet potato, black bean and turkey chili. It's basically this:

https://ourbestbites.com/black-bean-and-sweet-potato-turkey-chili/

I left out the jalapenos and mushrooms because my son doesn't like them and the pumpkin because I didn't buy any yet, and I don't have a slow cooker so I just simmered everything in a big pot for half an hour. It's delicious and makes a lot of food for very little effort.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3419 on: September 23, 2021, 02:48:56 PM »
Last night: A skillet dish of apples and sweet potatoes, steamed in a giant skillet with a bit of apple juice, cloves, and dijon mustard, then topped with a large smoked pork chop that was then sliced thinly and served atop the other stuff. Served with broccoli.

Today (for a late lunch, actually) a steak-salad version of nicoise salad: cooked potatoes, green beans, and fresh corn (cut off the cob) in a chipotle vinaigrette, topped with sliced ripe tomatoes, halved medium-boiled eggs,  kalamata olives, and quickly-grilled skirt steak, and some salsa verde/parsley vinaigrette (a hand blender was involved, so it was thick). Delicious!

Edit: Fix the Spellcheck-induced mistake.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 11:22:01 AM by jeninco »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3420 on: September 23, 2021, 02:50:51 PM »
Today (for a late lunch, actually) a steak-salad version of nicotine salad: cooked potatoes, green beans, and fresh corn (cut off the cob) in a chipotle vinaigrette, topped with sliced ripe tomatoes, halved medium-boiled eggs,  kalamata olives, and quickly-grilled skirt steak, and some salsa verde/parsley vinaigrette (a hand blender was involved, so it was thick). Delicious!

I know you meant "niçoise salad," but I got a good chuckle (and a bit of cringe) imagining what else went into the mix with the hand blender.

The salad sounds delicious, though!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3421 on: September 23, 2021, 03:39:30 PM »
Yesterday I made Cajun corn chowder, kind of an odd recipe with coconut milk, corn, potatoes, and red lentils, but turned out well
I saw that on your list in your journal, and I think I saved it.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3422 on: September 24, 2021, 07:50:02 AM »
We got potatoes and leeks in our CSA this week so last night we made potato leek soup, this also used up some chicken stock I made and froze a few months ago, and some leftover heavy cream we had also frozen. It turned out really good and it's always nice to find recipes that use up a good amount of stuff from the fridge/freezer!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3423 on: September 24, 2021, 11:21:23 AM »
Today (for a late lunch, actually) a steak-salad version of nicotine salad: cooked potatoes, green beans, and fresh corn (cut off the cob) in a chipotle vinaigrette, topped with sliced ripe tomatoes, halved medium-boiled eggs,  kalamata olives, and quickly-grilled skirt steak, and some salsa verde/parsley vinaigrette (a hand blender was involved, so it was thick). Delicious!

I know you meant "niçoise salad," but I got a good chuckle (and a bit of cringe) imagining what else went into the mix with the hand blender.

Oh, jeez -- spellcheck fail, again!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3424 on: September 24, 2021, 01:45:23 PM »
This was easy, and delicious, and I used the instant pot.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3425 on: September 24, 2021, 01:47:48 PM »
I think tonight will be a quinoa salad with Greek flavors (tomatoes, oregano, kalamata olives, feta, cucumbers) and grilled shrimp.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3426 on: September 24, 2021, 02:20:15 PM »

Are you using tomaccoes?

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3427 on: September 24, 2021, 05:13:26 PM »
Grilled peppers on the BBQ with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3428 on: September 24, 2021, 10:14:50 PM »

Are you using tomaccoes?

Sounds like a GMO goldmine right there.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3429 on: September 25, 2021, 03:34:49 PM »

It needed to sit in the fridge for a day to get really good, like most stews and chowders. It really came together nicely. I'll definitely make it again.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3430 on: September 26, 2021, 03:15:38 AM »
We're having some nice cool fall weather, so I heated up the oven for the first time in ages and made roasted vegetables.  We served them over rice with this lovely cashew/tarragon gravy:  https://www.thecuriouschickpea.com/vegan-cabbage-potato-and-chickpea-sheet-pan-dinner/ 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3431 on: September 26, 2021, 05:12:12 AM »
We're having some nice cool fall weather, so I heated up the oven for the first time in ages and made roasted vegetables.  We served them over rice with this lovely cashew/tarragon gravy:  https://www.thecuriouschickpea.com/vegan-cabbage-potato-and-chickpea-sheet-pan-dinner/

That looks so warm and comforting. Yum!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3432 on: September 26, 2021, 05:13:58 AM »
Husband is cooking tonight and wants to grill steaks. I think I might roast some root vegetables (yams, rainbow carrots, turnips) and saute mushrooms, spinach, and garlic as the side dishes.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3433 on: September 26, 2021, 05:51:18 AM »
kids cooked last night!.  takoyaki waffles and garlicky green beans.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3434 on: September 30, 2021, 09:24:17 AM »
Well, it was last night but we cracked a haul of Dungeness crabs and ate most of it dipped in garlic/lemon butter.
I think tonight will be a bake: leftover hamburger with fresh harvested potatoes. And lots of garlic powder.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #3435 on: September 30, 2021, 03:07:08 PM »
Fried rice with red cabbage, edamame, carrots and chilis from the garden.  Probably throw on that leftover good sauce from the Tibetan dumpling place to spice it up.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3436 on: September 30, 2021, 08:35:12 PM »
Leftover rice pilaf, a frozen black bean burger, and an apple. It's been a food-as-fuel kind of day.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3437 on: October 01, 2021, 05:46:00 PM »
Homemade macaroni and cheese, per husband's request. I'm enjoying the use of my stove and oven after such a gross, hot, humid summer.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3438 on: October 02, 2021, 07:40:39 PM »
@sonofsven - are you in the Pacific Northwest? Love Dungeness crab, and had it often in the San Juan islands when we lived in Seattle.

I was supposed to make eggroll in a bowl tonight, but due to a shopping glitch & a million errands driving teens various places, it looks like it's going to be frozen pizza & salad. Dinner of champions ;-)

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3439 on: October 02, 2021, 11:04:00 PM »
@sonofsven - are you in the Pacific Northwest? Love Dungeness crab, and had it often in the San Juan islands when we lived in Seattle.

I was supposed to make eggroll in a bowl tonight, but due to a shopping glitch & a million errands driving teens various places, it looks like it's going to be frozen pizza & salad. Dinner of champions ;-)
Yes, I am. I love crab! And all seafood, really.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3440 on: October 03, 2021, 07:19:43 AM »
Had a great meal yesterday which was made by a friend who is a retired chef:  homemade chicken enchiladas, and homemade strawberry pie.  Delicious.

I can't recall the last time I was invited to a meal at someone's house where everything was homemade.  What a treat.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3441 on: October 10, 2021, 10:14:15 AM »
Fried razor clams tonight, more "bounty from the sea", actually, the sand.
After cleaning, dip in egg, roll in panko (gluten free version), fry in oil 1 min per side.
Drizzle with lemon, dip in tartar.
I've been eating lots of garden potatoes lately, last night I had mashed potatoes for dinner, that's it. The joys of single living...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3442 on: October 10, 2021, 10:44:53 AM »
Husband is currently making a brisket: sous vide for many hours, followed by a few hours in the smoker. We'll serve that with roasted root vegetables (I have some lovely fresh turnips and carrots from the farm share), green beans, and homemade hot sauce containing one of husband's homegrown "apocalypse" peppers.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3443 on: October 10, 2021, 11:36:12 AM »
Last night we had chicken fajitas, where I also made a cauliflower rice/riced cabbage combo for the Keto eater. The riced cabbage was an accident when my teen was "helping" shred cabbage for another recipe. It actually turned out really well.

Tonight we're having butternut squash soup, French bread, & apple crisp (two of three made by one of my teens. I'm making the soup)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3444 on: October 10, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »
Husband is currently making a brisket: sous vide for many hours, followed by a few hours in the smoker. We'll serve that with roasted root vegetables (I have some lovely fresh turnips and carrots from the farm share), green beans, and homemade hot sauce containing one of husband's homegrown "apocalypse" peppers.

Wow, that sounds spectacular. BIL is coming over with Ribs (I think?) and I'm making sides. Except that it's 2 pm our time, and I have no idea what I'm making....

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3445 on: October 10, 2021, 03:24:42 PM »

Wow, that sounds spectacular. BIL is coming over with Ribs (I think?) and I'm making sides. Except that it's 2 pm our time, and I have no idea what I'm making....

Ribs sound great!

Yeah, brisket is one of my favorites. I work on Sundays, so husband usually takes advantage of his day off to make a big barbecued, smoked, or roasted cut of meat. I definitely don't have any complaints about that. I usually handle the sides and figure that simple vegetables are best so they don't overshadow the fancy meat.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3446 on: October 10, 2021, 03:27:53 PM »
Duck magret, it's the duck breast of a duck that was fattened for foie gras.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3447 on: October 10, 2021, 03:58:28 PM »
Turkey dinner, doing Canadian Thanksgiving a day early.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3448 on: October 10, 2021, 04:27:22 PM »
Mashed potatoes and meatloaf. Two things I haven't made for myself in... maybe ever. Mom was in the mood and her doctor said she should eat extra protein post-op, so here I am figuring it out while my parents watch TV upstairs. :-)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3449 on: October 10, 2021, 08:52:50 PM »
Roasted butternut squash soup & French bread & apple crisp, the latter two made by one of the teens. He's turning into a good baker. It's nice to have some help in the kitchen. It was a very fall like meal

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!