Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 959276 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #3150 on: February 13, 2021, 06:03:00 PM »
Pinquito beans pressure-cooked with onions, peppers, and various herbs and spices and topped with cheese and salsa. Homemade corn tortillas.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3151 on: February 13, 2021, 09:30:48 PM »
Burgers on keto buns. Remembered why I don't make those buns frequently.  Mushrooms, onions, bacon, smoky bleu cheese. Yum! We weren't hungry enough to do the wedge salad, so we'll probably have that tomorrow with chorizo jalapeno poppers.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3152 on: February 14, 2021, 07:30:42 AM »
I've been saving a couple of NY strip steaks for Valentine's Day so I am cooking them up tonight with some Montreal steak seasoning, stuffed baked potatoes, and vegetables with caramel tarts for dessert.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3153 on: February 14, 2021, 07:54:22 PM »
Sous vide shrimp scampi, pasta, and roasted broccoli courtesy of Husband. From-scratch brownies with cinnamon and ancho chile powder courtesy of me.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3154 on: February 14, 2021, 08:15:09 PM »
Leek fettuccine... Sort of interesting, we keep the recipe mainly cuz it's vegan.  Served with roasted brussels.

Chocolate chip cookies for dessert and we'll add some red hot candies before baking to make it more fun for Valentine's (and because they've been hanging out in our pantry for years and it's a good excuse to use some up).

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3155 on: February 15, 2021, 04:19:23 AM »
Roasted pork tenderloin, potatoes and mixed vegetables.  Rice pudding for dessert

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3156 on: February 15, 2021, 12:38:05 PM »
A roasted chicken and vegetables, I think.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3157 on: February 15, 2021, 01:53:01 PM »
Spinach and ground beef lasagne. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3158 on: February 15, 2021, 02:00:08 PM »
I just slathered a big lamb shoulder with garlic, cumin, salt, chipotles in adobo, and a little oregano, cinnamon and cocoa powder. It's slow cooking in the oven, and I'm thinking I'll make some coleslaw and refried beans to go with it. Should last us a couple days I hope!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3159 on: February 15, 2021, 08:43:23 PM »
We celebrated DHs birthday (which is tomorrow) with dinner (with a fully vaccinated older friend over! Holy shit!) this evening. It was only "frugal" relative to actually eating out (which we haven't done in a year).

Boneless leg of lamb was smeared with a mixture of garlic, rosemary, kosher salt, and olive oil, and then baked over potatoes, carrots and onions. We also had asparagus, crab cakes as an appetizer (which our friend brought) and the deepest, darkest chocolate cake imaginable. With raspberries and whipped cream.

We actually have about half the lamb left, so I'll look up recipes for rope vieja, I think.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #3160 on: February 15, 2021, 09:30:15 PM »
I just slathered a big lamb shoulder with garlic, cumin, salt, chipotles in adobo, and a little oregano, cinnamon and cocoa powder. It's slow cooking in the oven, and I'm thinking I'll make some coleslaw and refried beans to go with it. Should last us a couple days I hope!

We celebrated DHs birthday (which is tomorrow) with dinner (with a fully vaccinated older friend over! Holy shit!) this evening. It was only "frugal" relative to actually eating out (which we haven't done in a year).

Boneless leg of lamb was smeared with a mixture of garlic, rosemary, kosher salt, and olive oil, and then baked over potatoes, carrots and onions. We also had asparagus, crab cakes as an appetizer (which our friend brought) and the deepest, darkest chocolate cake imaginable. With raspberries and whipped cream.

We actually have about half the lamb left, so I'll look up recipes for rope vieja, I think.

And now I want lamb.  :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3161 on: February 16, 2021, 07:42:16 AM »
Crock pot lasagna.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3162 on: February 16, 2021, 08:08:08 PM »
Chicken soup - nice recipe with pearl couscous (https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/the-best-chicken-soup-recipe/), spinach side salads.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3163 on: February 17, 2021, 01:05:01 PM »
We're having flatbread pizzas with sausage & peppers

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3164 on: February 18, 2021, 11:49:11 AM »
Made the leftover roast lamb into a Spanish-inspired stew (with chickpeas, onions, leeks, tomatoes, carrots, and green beans added at the very end) that we served with roasted small potatoes on top (so the crunchy corners lasted while eating the combo).  It was so good I wish I'd noted the recipe, but since it included "start cooking everything, get a call that if you appear at a hospital 19 minutes away in 20 minutes you can get a COVID shot, slap a cover on the pot and turn it way down, but accidentally don't turn it off while you race out. Come back in an hour, uncover, and be amazed at the deliciousness!"  I'm not sure it's replicable.

Tonight? I don't know -- it snowed again last night, so probably something else stew-like. Maybe the NYT white bean stew, with preserved lemons, kale, and feta?

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3165 on: February 18, 2021, 12:03:24 PM »
Taco Thursday!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3166 on: February 18, 2021, 12:53:56 PM »
chicken pita pockets & carrot "fries"

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3167 on: February 18, 2021, 01:43:26 PM »
Tuscan chickpea soup with salad. We are blessed with a surfeit of arugula in the garden so lots of salads lately and into the future!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3168 on: February 18, 2021, 04:17:30 PM »
Chicken, rice and mixed veggies in the crockpot!

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3169 on: February 19, 2021, 01:40:23 PM »
Salmon noodle casserole with dill, leeks and peas

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3170 on: February 19, 2021, 04:50:49 PM »
Teriyaki chicken & rice

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3171 on: February 19, 2021, 05:35:06 PM »
Bacon and chard linguine (but with kale), an Italian sausage, and roasted eggplant.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3172 on: February 19, 2021, 05:39:36 PM »
Pierogi from the freezer!  We have never done much freezing stuff - we usually just eat pretty much everything right away.  But I'm really loving pulling something out of the freezer that is fully ready without much cooking, but also something we didn't just eat once or twice in the previous few days.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3173 on: February 19, 2021, 06:01:53 PM »
Red chili with beef, kidney beans, and sweet potato.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3174 on: February 20, 2021, 02:37:29 AM »
Pork and shrimp egg roll in a bowl, with lo mein noodles added to bulk it up. 

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3175 on: February 20, 2021, 07:48:57 AM »
I'm feeling lazy today so I'm making 2 1/2 lb of pulled pork in my slow cooker. Cooked on low for 7 hours and then throw in some Stubb's barbecue sauce for the last hour. I'll make some rice in the rice cooker to go with it.

Last night was more exciting. I made a vegetarian bean soup with some Roman beans I bought in bulk from the wholesale store, some dried herbs from my garden, some garlic, and crushed tomatoes with a loaf of freshly baked French bread made in our bread machine. It was perfect for a Friday in Lent.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3176 on: February 20, 2021, 09:00:59 AM »
Steak with thyme lemon butter, roasted broccoli & homemade fries

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3177 on: February 20, 2021, 09:02:22 AM »
We're trying a recipe for lasagna that you make with layers of baked polenta instead of lasagna noodles. I'm not sure why we would do this, but DH cut out the recipe so I'm happy to play along and have a kitchen adventure on a pandemic Saturday night.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3178 on: February 20, 2021, 10:47:59 AM »
@MaybeBabyMustache  That sounds perfect, putting it on the menu for this week!

Asparagus is on sale (yay!) so I think we are going to have a big pile of asparagus for dinner, and I'm going to stuff some gigantor jalapenos with chorizo, maybe throw some new potatoes on the sheet pan too and roast it all.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3179 on: February 20, 2021, 09:28:37 PM »
I looked at what I had on hand and ended up with a concoction of mushrooms, onions, spinach, red peppers, Italian sausage and shrimp in a sauce of jarred Alfredo sauce with a bit of cream cheese added.  And some tortellini thrown in.  It’s pretty tasty, but a bit salty.  My fridge is a lot emptier now.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3180 on: February 20, 2021, 09:53:40 PM »
We're trying a recipe for lasagna that you make with layers of baked polenta instead of lasagna noodles. I'm not sure why we would do this, but DH cut out the recipe so I'm happy to play along and have a kitchen adventure on a pandemic Saturday night.

Ooh, I love polenta and lasagna and have a hard time finding gluten-free lasagna noodles. I might have to try this!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3181 on: February 20, 2021, 09:54:21 PM »
Husband made beef bourguignon and mashed potatoes. I feel very spoiled.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3182 on: February 21, 2021, 05:23:09 AM »
Pizza.  It's been a while since I made my own crust and sauce (we don't eat a ton of pizza).  Looking forward to it!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3183 on: February 21, 2021, 06:48:38 AM »
Ooh, I love polenta and lasagna and have a hard time finding gluten-free lasagna noodles. I might have to try this!
GF lasagne were available in practically every grocery store in London, even in no-boil varieties, and it's been so much harder to find any at all since I've moved back to the US :(. You could also try moussaka as an alternative, which uses boiled potato slices.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3184 on: February 21, 2021, 05:53:35 PM »
This pasta e lenticchie (pasta and lentils) recipe that one of my friends shared on Facebook. I added about 1/4 tsp each of oregano, basil, thyme, and smoked paprika with the tomatoes and several big handfuls of chopped raw spinach in the last couple of minutes.

It's fantastic comfort food, but I wish I hadn't parcooked the gluten-free pasta. It's a bit mushy in the final dish.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3185 on: February 21, 2021, 06:12:18 PM »

It turned out well, I recommend!  The texture of the polenta was a nice change.  We baked it with spinach, parmesan and butter and then you assemble the lasagna with layers of mozzarella, a pretty traditional ricotta mixture and a nice marinara sauce and then another layer of each of those things.  After baking it was all a bit mushy together, but it was still quite tasty!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3186 on: February 22, 2021, 02:47:49 PM »
Chicken shawarma bowls

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3187 on: February 22, 2021, 09:44:28 PM »
I made tuna cakes tonight - canned tuna, crushed pork rinds and coconut powder, a couple eggs, Old Bay, chopped jalapeno and green onions, a generous bit of dill and pepper. Quite nice with a bit of tartar sauce. On the side we had butternut squash and asparagus, both roasted in leftover bacon grease. Will make the tuna cakes again. The nice thing is they can be mixed up ahead of time and stashed in the fridge, then they cook up quickly when it's time to eat.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3188 on: February 23, 2021, 06:17:59 AM »
Shrimp saganaki with orzo pasta.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3189 on: February 23, 2021, 04:02:34 PM »
Vegan pizza - how long does plant-based purgatory last? I am so sick of
Lentils Lentils Tomatoes. I don’t like vegetables enough for my husband to be plant based. Curse Tom Brady....

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3190 on: February 23, 2021, 04:19:56 PM »
Chickpea sweet corn burgers on homemade potato buns. Buttered peas on the side.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3191 on: February 23, 2021, 05:11:25 PM »
Chile (which, @couponvan , you could probably easily make vegan using any of the "meat crumbly" stuff in place of the beef). Ours contains an onions, a lb and a half of ground beef, and 4 cups of dried beans, cooked in the pressure cooker with a strip of kombu and some bay leaves. And around half a can of chipotles in adobo, which were passed through a stick blender to make a nice paste. (I used to be able to purchase the stuff pre-ground, but that ended.)

With corn tortillas, avocado, and mexican "slaw".

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3192 on: February 23, 2021, 05:37:57 PM »
We're having tacos, several ways to accommodate all of the preferences/dietary restrictions/etc.
-Tacos, in tortilla shells
-Warm taco slaw (over sauteed cabbage)
-Taco salad

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3193 on: February 23, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »
Chile (which, @couponvan , you could probably easily make vegan using any of the "meat crumbly" stuff in place of the beef). Ours contains an onions, a lb and a half of ground beef, and 4 cups of dried beans, cooked in the pressure cooker with a strip of kombu and some bay leaves. And around half a can of chipotles in adobo, which were passed through a stick blender to make a nice paste. (I used to be able to purchase the stuff pre-ground, but that ended.)

With corn tortillas, avocado, and mexican "slaw".
Beans....beans, beans, beans. LOL. I’m just craving a steak!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3194 on: February 23, 2021, 10:25:29 PM »
I am a big fan of butternut squash in chili; gives it almost a cheesy quality. I make mine bean-free with ground beef and squash these days, but I think black bean/squash would be good too.

Tonight we had wildly overcooked chicken eggplant green curry. InstantPot fail, but oh well, it still tasted OK served over some stirfried bell pepper and baby bok choy.

Tomorrow we will be having some beautiful rib steaks that I've had drying out in the fridge with a nice coating of Red Boat salt (my version of faux dry-aging). We'll have sautéed mushrooms and creamed spinach with those; maybe air fried onion rings if I have the time and ambition.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3195 on: February 24, 2021, 05:24:32 AM »
I am a big fan of butternut squash in chili; gives it almost a cheesy quality. I make mine bean-free with ground beef and squash these days, but I think black bean/squash would be good too.

Black bean and sweet potato (yam) is one of our favorite chili combos. Butternut squash should be similarly good.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3196 on: February 24, 2021, 04:33:12 PM »
We're having polenta (which contains cheese, but could easily not) with a sauce of tomato and an entire head of cauliflower, cut into pieces. Warm and filling, since it's just now starting to snow (again, but it was up around 40 and sunny mid-day, so I'm not complaining.)

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3197 on: February 24, 2021, 05:47:00 PM »
Stromboli. Spinach salad

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3198 on: February 24, 2021, 07:37:36 PM »
Three bean salad (beans, beans, beans!) with cucumbers and onions and penne.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3199 on: February 24, 2021, 07:44:07 PM »
Roasted carrots, rice & spicy meatballs. No idea what my teen put in the sauce he used to top the meatballs, but it was quite spicy. Delish, but spicy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!