Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950055 times)

35andFI

• Bristles
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #300 on: January 13, 2019, 07:06:45 PM »
I made ravioli with pesto sauce tonight :)

I made ravioli with pesto sauce again...

I mixed it up and had bow tie pasta with pesto tonight.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2019, 08:12:36 PM »
Pasta with cauliflower al forno (mix the pasta with roasted cauliflower, cubed mozzarella,  garlic, sultanas soaked slightly in red wine vinegar, chopped sage, capers: basically full metal Sicilian flavors, then dump into a pan, top with bread crumbs and parmesian and a bit of olive oil, and bake at 400 for 30 minutes until crispy) and salad. Turned out tasty!

We also made summer rolls for the high schoolers to take for lunch tomorrow. We're taking a break from lunchmeat this week and trying out some other options. There are many leftover components of summer rolls -- we'll make more tomorrow evening/Tuesday morning.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #302 on: January 14, 2019, 04:47:12 AM »
Kept it simple. Baked a Turkey Breast (on the Bone) , Mashed potatoes, Salad with lots of veggies and bag of frozen mixed veggies.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #303 on: January 14, 2019, 09:20:28 AM »
Tonight we'll be eating in shifts (someone has a 4 - 5:30 practice and then martial arts from 7 - 8:30, someone else has practices 7-9, and MrInCO may not be home until 6:30 or 7 or later), so pozole (a meat and hominy chili-like stew, with turkey in this case) and a mexican-style slaw, avocados, cheese...

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #304 on: January 14, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »
Last night we had a small dinner party - butternut squash soup and stuffed shells

Tonight the plan is mushroom stroganoff.  Tomorrow, maybe leftovers or I will make instapot chicken tikka masala & rice.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #305 on: January 14, 2019, 03:05:14 PM »

The cylinder pasta with pesto. Running out of pesto...

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #306 on: January 14, 2019, 03:31:18 PM »

rigatoni?

Last week ate a ton from a fresh cooked chicken but wasn't able to eat all the meat. I should have made chicken salad (or froze the extra meat). Chicken soup with fried chicken liver. Chicken tacos, then chicken burritos with beans.
This week starting out with burgers. Have materials for a couple pasta dishes including baked macaroni and cheese with brocolli. spinach and ricotta tortellini with mushroom sauce and roasted sweet potato cubes.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #307 on: January 14, 2019, 03:49:16 PM »

rigatoni?

Last week ate a ton from a fresh cooked chicken but wasn't able to eat all the meat. I should have made chicken salad (or froze the extra meat). Chicken soup with fried chicken liver. Chicken tacos, then chicken burritos with beans.
This week starting out with burgers. Have materials for a couple pasta dishes including baked macaroni and cheese with brocolli. spinach and ricotta tortellini with mushroom sauce and roasted sweet potato cubes.

Yes! Yours sounds good. I have to start getting creative.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: January 14, 2019, 04:55:51 PM »
Cranberry beans (my parents gave us several pounds of excellent Rancho Gordo beans for Christmas) cooked in the instant pot with diced onion, carrot, celery, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic/cumin/chili powder/oregano. Served over rice.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #309 on: January 15, 2019, 05:15:04 AM »
Last night, vegetable soup with homemade rye bread.  Tonight, 3-bean chili.  Soaked the beans overnight, and we're tossing everything in the crockpot this morning to simmer all day.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: January 15, 2019, 07:35:20 AM »
Had Thai coconut chicken curry. So yummy. One day I'll learn how to make the Thai red curry paste and it'll be 100% scratch made.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #311 on: January 15, 2019, 07:40:17 AM »
Had Thai coconut chicken curry. So yummy. One day I'll learn how to make the Thai red curry paste and it'll be 100% scratch made.

More authentic: https://www.eatingthaifood.com/thai-red-curry-paste-recipe/
More simple: https://thewanderlustkitchen.com/easy-homemade-red-curry-paste/ or https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/how_to_make_curry_paste_37065

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: January 15, 2019, 01:46:43 PM »

More authentic: https://www.eatingthaifood.com/thai-red-curry-paste-recipe/
More simple: https://thewanderlustkitchen.com/easy-homemade-red-curry-paste/ or https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/how_to_make_curry_paste_37065

That authentic one looks good, night not be so hard if making big batches to freeze for later.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: January 15, 2019, 02:48:44 PM »

Rigatoni with pesto again. I should write a cookbook.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #314 on: January 15, 2019, 02:49:26 PM »
The mushroom stroganoff I made last night was only so-so.  I decided to use a new recipe, rather than just play it by ear like I usually do, and it wasn't super good. 

I made pizza dough last night, so we'll have pizza for dinner tonight.  My mom might stop by and join us- she said she'd bring some baked ziti.

Tomorrow - chicken & garbanzo tikka masala, maybe with rice.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #315 on: January 15, 2019, 05:07:47 PM »
Husband is putting a pot roast and root veggies in the pressure cooker as I type this.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #316 on: January 15, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »
I made this on Tuesday. It was so easy and so delicious, I think it's going to happen again tonight.

https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/thai-chicken-soup/
Well, I actually made it a few days after that, but it was delicious. Into the repertoire it goes.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: January 15, 2019, 07:47:54 PM »
Made a big batch of lasagna tonight and froze half for another day.  Used up some buns to make garlic bread.  We have a large bag of buns in the freezer, so garlic bread will be on the menu frequently until they are gone.  Mr. SP will not complain about that.   : )

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #318 on: January 15, 2019, 09:45:58 PM »
Our market had little lamb loin chops on sale this week, so we had those (2 each: they were tiny) grilled with sautéed potatoes, garlic, and kale and a salad of shredded carrots with the last of the zhug sauce thinned with a little olive oil. And a few leftover sautéed cheery tomatoes I rescued from the back of the fridge and warmed up.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #319 on: January 16, 2019, 02:44:34 AM »
Was super busy last night so they had some dry rubbed Chicken Quarters I baked in the oven, made a pasta salad 3xs the veggies and less pasta and some Steamed green beans.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #320 on: January 16, 2019, 07:05:11 AM »
leftover broiled sockeye salmon on top of baby greens

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #321 on: January 16, 2019, 06:56:23 PM »
Baked salmon, roasted broccoli and cauliflower florets, baked sweet potato.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #322 on: January 17, 2019, 04:03:37 AM »
Last night /yesterday was nutso and I was beat so we made it our breakfast night and kinda did skillets to order. Hashbrown base with eggs , cheese and made some bacon and ham so whatever peeps basically wanted. Tonight I am going to have to get creative as well have alot of running around to do I wasnt planning for.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #323 on: January 17, 2019, 08:43:26 AM »
Last night was chicken sausages, broccoli, and rice.

Tonight we're making rajma (kidney bean curry) with rice.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #324 on: January 17, 2019, 09:18:12 AM »
I'm on my own for a quick dinner before choir rehearsal, so probably pan-fried noodles with leftover roasted vegetables and a fried egg.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #325 on: January 17, 2019, 03:29:25 PM »
My son made eggs benadict for dinner last night. I could have those again any time!

Tonight I'm looking at another red bean masala on rice, and may saute some zucchini to go with it.  It will depend on if the beans had enough time to soak before I want to go to bed (on my time off between night shifts, so my schedule is wonky).

Hard boiled some eggs before they could go bad, so I'll make more deviled eggs.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #326 on: January 17, 2019, 05:16:08 PM »
Tonight we had homemade chicken quesadillas , re fried fat free beans and Mexican rice. It was good!!

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #327 on: January 18, 2019, 02:15:50 PM »
Goat cheese polenta with balsamic mushrooms, topped with spicy baby greens from my basement greens. Plus roasted butternut squash.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #328 on: January 18, 2019, 03:48:47 PM »
Husband is cooking something from his new Thai cookbook (Christmas gift from my parents). All I know is that the dish will include chicken thighs, rice noodles, and the Thai seasoning sauce and oyster sauce that we bought at the Asian grocery store this morning.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #329 on: January 18, 2019, 04:21:38 PM »
Spinach and onion pizza.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #330 on: January 18, 2019, 10:35:17 PM »
Had the day off so I grocery shopped and made pork loin in orange and herb sauce.  Mmmm. :)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #331 on: January 19, 2019, 07:22:38 PM »
Leftover night tonight.  I had rajma potato skins.  Bit of an odd combination, but it was ok.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #332 on: January 19, 2019, 08:17:23 PM »
a few chunks of dark chocolate off a trader joes pound chocolate bar and raw almonds. Just one of those nights

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #333 on: January 19, 2019, 11:01:16 PM »
Made Turkey Tetrazzini the other day, using leftover turkey from earlier in the week that I bought super duper cheaply at Thanksgiving. I was thrilled to find a recipe that incorporated ingredients that I had on hand. It was really good. It was also dinner again tonight.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #334 on: January 20, 2019, 08:47:20 AM »
This thread is great. I see it every morning and I'm like, "shit, what AM I making for dinner?!" Meal planning semi worked out last week, although some derailing. Today is a new Sunday though, so I'll do another round and hope it works better. Adjustment I'm hoping will help- got a cork board for above my desk (which I also now have, haha), so I'll be able to put up a plan where it's easily visible. Thinking I'll make index cards with my common recipes and pin them up in a L/D format so they're easily visible when I go by. And importantly serve as a little nudge to Husband when he sees them maybe =P

Last night was leftovers. Tuesday I'm getting a new produce box. Might do spaghetti sauce and spag squash tonight, needs to be made.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #335 on: January 21, 2019, 05:01:34 AM »
Last night we had Pineapple sauced pork chops you served over egg noodles. Not bad but not the greatest recipe I have come across either. Salad loaded with veggies.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #336 on: January 21, 2019, 05:40:33 AM »
I made a tomato soup yesterday. Not for dinner but lunch.

I used diced canned roasted tomatoes (three 15 oz cans), onion, 1 carrot, 2 cups of chicken broth, some sprigs of fresh basil, garlic, 3 tablespoons of butter and a teaspoon of sugar. Simmered for an hour and blended it all up. Was SO good! Have leftovers too!

I am on a soup kick and plan to make a broccoli soup, carrot ginger soup, tomato with red bell pepper soup. I also have a cabbage to make another soup of some sort.

Just wanted to mention that canned tomatoes are typically picked and canned quickly on site so they are a good product to use in place of fresh tomatoes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #337 on: January 21, 2019, 07:31:33 AM »
Just wanted to mention that canned tomatoes are typically picked and canned quickly on site so they are a good product to use in place of fresh tomatoes.

Yes. We love canned tomatoes in winter. On that note, I think tonight’s dinner will be pasta with homemade red meat sauce and a spinach salad. Or maybe I’ll put the spinach in the sauce.

I had a free day yesterday so last night’s dinner was butternut squash soup, roasted pork chops with a blackberry-mustard glaze, sautéed cabbage, and baked potatoes.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #338 on: January 21, 2019, 08:31:42 AM »
Last night's dinner was wonderful. We made Sweet Potato nachos. (Basically, a beef loaded nacho style but crisped up some SP rounds I made by using the food processor.) So tasty!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #339 on: January 21, 2019, 11:42:52 AM »
My husband is making beef kebabs & rice. It's one of my favorites.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #340 on: January 21, 2019, 01:00:45 PM »
Generally wife finds the recipes / idea; I cook them.

Saturday evening was lasagna, last evening was fish tacos, and tonight is cannelloni stuffed with spinach and ricotta.   

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #341 on: January 21, 2019, 01:54:28 PM »
Generally wife finds the recipes / idea; I cook them.

Saturday evening was lasagna, last evening was fish tacos, and tonight is cannelloni stuffed with spinach and ricotta.

We had fish tacos last night, too! MrInCO was near the really, really good tortillaria, so he picked up corn tortillas and spicy salsa.  We had black beans, sautéed cod, shredded cheese, most of an avocado, "mexican slaw" (shredded carrots and cabbage dressed in rice vinegar), and some other salsa-y things.

Tonight: Peanut noodles with rice noodles, broccoli and snow peas and Tofu. I'm going to try making a ton and packing leftovers up for school lunches: I think it'll be good cold if I can keep it from completely coagulating.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #342 on: January 21, 2019, 02:38:05 PM »
Friday I made a new rule: everyone has to cook and decide what to eat. I'm over trying to figure out what to do with the stuff we get from our produce boxes, and choosing meals, and getting complaints. So

Saturday: 12 year old (with help) made spaghetti and broccoli.  He's not a meat eater.  We sauteed some sausage on the side.
Sunday: 6 yo chose salmon and salad.  12 yo hates salmon.  He had leftovers
Monday: leftovers (pasta) and kale chips.
Tuesday: (me) Instant pot vegetables (leeks, sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli) in a peanut sauce.  Because I was last to pick and we had sweet potatoes and leeks.
Weds: more leftovers
Thurs: (spouse) chicken and Indian roasted cauliflower and potatoes
Fri: frozen pizza

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #343 on: January 21, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »
Tonight we had instantpot Thai chicken curry with stir-fried vegetables. Made enough for another night, too.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #344 on: January 21, 2019, 08:26:52 PM »
baked a chicken, tried this recipe. https://lifemadesimplebakes.com/2015/10/oven-roasted-rotisserie-chicken/

holy crap! I'm never making a chicken any other way. It's amazing, and so juicy!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #345 on: January 21, 2019, 11:36:38 PM »
Frugal fail. Today DH, with a bit of help from me, installed a 750 pound metal door in a house we're flipping. Then I installed the final bale of rock wool insulation, as the drywallers begin tomorrow. I was so dirty and tired, i hit the easy button and swung by Chipotle. I took it home and three of us split two bowls + chips for $20.54. When my bonus kid got home from work a couple of hours later, he informed me that the best way to order from Chipotle was online, making sure to take advantage of all the things they don't charge extra for. Meh, we go there so seldom that I don't think I'll need to use that box of tricks any time soon.  Tomorrow I'm cooking for sure, as usual.

ETA: yes, I know that was a whiny post. I love this thread for the meal suggestions and ongoing motivation it provides. Just because I took the easy way out once doesn't mean the wheels have fallen off the bus.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:00:10 AM by Dicey »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #346 on: January 22, 2019, 07:15:32 AM »
Last night I made slow baked extra BBQ saucy Chicken Drummies in the Oven. Delicious.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #347 on: January 22, 2019, 07:34:54 AM »
Last night I made a ragu with some hot Italian sausages that were on sale, served with rotini.  Perfect comfort food for a chilly day, and brought some leftovers to work to have for lunch.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #348 on: January 22, 2019, 07:37:15 AM »
I think tonight's dinner will be this Budget Bytes recipe for not-butter chicken over jasmine rice. I'm craving Indian food but don't have a lot of time to prep or stand over a stove today, and this will at least give me the right flavor profile.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #349 on: January 22, 2019, 01:54:03 PM »
We were stuck inside yesterday thanks to the ice and the bitter cold, and we had short ribs in the freezer, so I took a crack at galbijjim, a sweet and spicy Korean short rib and root veggie stew.  I saw the recipe on NYT Cooking  https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019918-han-oak-galbijjim

Not going to lie--it was quite the project.  Probably 3 hours in total.  But oh man, was it good.  And so many delicious leftovers!