Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950096 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2550 on: August 23, 2020, 11:12:20 PM »
Roasted a chicken tonight.  I put butter and thin lemon slices under the skin of the breasts, stuffed the cavity with half an onion and a couple more lemon slices, then rubbed the outside with more butter, a generous coating of garlic sauce, red salt, Aleppo pepper and tarragon.  Baked it covered for the first half hour and then took the lid off to let it finish.  Came out super moist and flavorful, with cracking crisp skin.  So yum.  Big salads to go with it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2551 on: August 24, 2020, 04:53:04 PM »
Roasted a chicken tonight.  I put butter and thin lemon slices under the skin of the breasts, stuffed the cavity with half an onion and a couple more lemon slices, then rubbed the outside with more butter, a generous coating of garlic sauce, red salt, Aleppo pepper and tarragon.  Baked it covered for the first half hour and then took the lid off to let it finish.  Came out super moist and flavorful, with cracking crisp skin.  So yum.  Big salads to go with it.

This sounds absolutely delightful!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2552 on: August 24, 2020, 04:54:45 PM »
I'm making fettuccine Alfredo with onions, peppers, and shredded kale (latter two from the CSA box). It's a nice way to use up the heavy cream that was two days past its sell-by date (and still perfectly good).

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2553 on: August 24, 2020, 09:34:45 PM »
Potato Dinner Salad...
Boiled potatoes, green beans, olives, hard boiled eggs, and canned tuna in a pesto sauce.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2554 on: August 25, 2020, 06:33:54 PM »
Onigirazu (sushi sandwiches) filled with canned tuna mixed with mayo and gochujang (Korean chili paste), avocado, cucumber, carrot, and shredded cabbage. I was craving sushi, and that did the trick at a fraction of the cost of a restaurant meal.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2555 on: August 26, 2020, 02:30:26 AM »
Cauliflower curry, along with a beef curry and rice.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2556 on: August 26, 2020, 07:40:51 AM »
I've defrosted rotisserie chicken. That's as far as I've gotten in my planning. I'm thinking of maybe a chicken curry salad on toasted buns. With tomatoes. Lots of garden tomatoes.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2557 on: August 26, 2020, 10:44:37 AM »
Last night: the neighbors dropped off some fresh pasta, so I convinced the larger kid (who's leaving in a week) to make us up a batch of fresh pasta dough, which I rolled into linguini. We had it with a huge pile of fresh green beans, and a tomato salad. And mozzarella balls, mixed into the pasta.

Tonight: Got me. Gazpacho from the farmer's market, with some other stuff, perhaps?

Kid wants to make a roast chicken and a big batch of stuffing sometime in the next few days, so we'll start gathering ingredients for that.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2558 on: August 26, 2020, 11:43:34 PM »
We had a summer vegetable minestrone, and a savoury tomato/corn pie (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/late-summer-corn-recipes-1.5699335)

and managed to use lots of veggies from our double CSA share this week!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2559 on: August 28, 2020, 07:07:10 PM »
Homemade pizza and salad. The arugula in this week's CSA share was a nice treat.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2560 on: August 28, 2020, 10:03:06 PM »
Chicken tacos! onions and peppers then chopped chicken and taco seasoning, a little bit of flour then deglaze and let it settle in. Soft corn shells on the griddle and some hot sauce--perfection.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2561 on: August 29, 2020, 09:40:14 AM »
We're grilling Impossible Burgers (never tried them before, so fingers crossed) & having that with coleslaw

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2562 on: August 29, 2020, 11:55:10 AM »
We're grilling Impossible Burgers

Where'd you find them for sale? In our area we've only seen them supplied to restaurants but not grocery stores. I've only had them at restaurants but have been quite impressed. You can get Beyond burgers in grocery stores here but they're not as good IMO.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2563 on: August 29, 2020, 02:30:30 PM »
@turketron - we found them at Costco. I'm guessing my husband will season them before he tosses them on the grill

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2564 on: August 29, 2020, 10:19:29 PM »
Garlic *smashed potatoes and gravy!!

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2565 on: August 30, 2020, 12:53:47 PM »
Thai Coconut Shrimp (https://www.foodiecrush.com/shrimp-in-thai-coconut-sauce/), served over rice with a spinach salad.  It was such a hit last time, I'm trying to keep it as a regular.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2566 on: August 30, 2020, 01:14:14 PM »
Impossible Burgers last night were great. I'd say, after grilling, adding buns, cheese, condiments, 90% indistinguishable from a regular burger.

Tonight we're having chicken curry & rice

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2567 on: August 30, 2020, 04:01:59 PM »
Last night: grilled salmon, blistered shishito peppers (from our garden), and roasted garlic Parmesan cauliflower.

Tonight: black beans and pulled pork (from the freezer) with homemade corn tortillas and homemade salsa verde (tomatillos from the CSA share and jalapeños from our garden).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2568 on: August 31, 2020, 06:18:06 PM »
Breaded and baked chicken thighs and Ina Garten's Summer Garden Pasta with cherry tomatoes from the CSA share and basil from our garden.

I love summer food.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2569 on: August 31, 2020, 10:29:13 PM »
roasted garlic Parmesan cauliflower.

I might need to make this.  Harvested loads of cauliflower, riced most of it, now there are a few heads languishing in the fridge that I've been uninspired to use.

Tonight I cooked some chicken breasts with salsa in the Instant pot and we had nachos/burritos with homemade guac.  Being to lazy/anti-social to get the takeout burritos I was really craving FTW.

Tomorrow I'm planning on making chicken-sausage gumbo since I finally have a decent amount of okra from the garden and grabbed a marked down pack of chicken drumsticks last night.  It will be a green gumbo with a healthy dose of collards also from the garden.

Wednesday - smoking a turkey I grabbed in pandemic early days when there were limits on chicken.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2570 on: September 03, 2020, 08:34:27 AM »
Last night, ceasar salad and a potato sausage cheese pie (cooked in a springform pan, crispy and creamy mashed potatoes yummy!)
Tonight, Barley salad bowl with cucumbers, tomatoes and canned tuna, or fried halloumi or Tofu.
Tomorrow, Roasted vegetable lasagna, and I'll probably roast enough veggies to also do some roasted vegetable bowls for lunches - with leftover barley.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2571 on: September 03, 2020, 03:02:19 PM »
Steak with cauliflower and roasted sweet potatoes.  I might try that recipe for garlic parmesan cauliflower, but without the breadcrumbs because that's not something I keep on hand.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2572 on: September 03, 2020, 04:27:04 PM »
Steak with cauliflower and roasted sweet potatoes.  I might try that recipe for garlic parmesan cauliflower, but without the breadcrumbs because that's not something I keep on hand.

I feel like it would work better with mostly parmesan and maybe a bit of flour (and the butter, of course). It was a good way to use up the pack of gluten-free bread crumbs that I found in the cupboard, but they definitely weren't necessary.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2573 on: September 03, 2020, 09:20:05 PM »

I feel like it would work better with mostly parmesan and maybe a bit of flour (and the butter, of course). It was a good way to use up the pack of gluten-free bread crumbs that I found in the cupboard, but they definitely weren't necessary.

It was tasty with just the parm, butter (halved, since I wasn't using it for dipping though it was probably still a little too much), and garlic.  The cheese added a nice crispiness.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2574 on: September 05, 2020, 09:18:47 AM »

It was tasty with just the parm, butter (halved, since I wasn't using it for dipping though it was probably still a little too much), and garlic.  The cheese added a nice crispiness.

Good to know!

We had grilled cheeseburgers and kale salad with dried fruit, nuts, and lemon vinaigrette last night.

It’s cool and gray today, so lentil soup might be nice. We haven’t had that in months, and it would be a nice way to use up some chard and celery.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2575 on: September 05, 2020, 12:36:42 PM »
It's supposed to be HOT today and tomorrow, and then we're forecasted to have a 60 degree (F, for you rational unit-users) temperature drop, so MrInCO and I went out for a bike ride this morning. When we realized we were going to go right by the farmstead with the greatest corn, we stopped in, shoved six ears into our jersey pockets, and rode home. And pulled some ribeye steak out of the freezer.

So, it'll be fresh corn, grilled steak and eggplant, probably sweet potatoes, and who knows what else. (likely tomato salad, as those need using, too).

Tomorrow will probably be something with pesto, because I need to get the basil picked before the temperature nose-dives.

The ranchers from whom we buy 1/2 steer every year sold out before I got to it, so at some point we're going to run out of beef. I wonder if I can buy a pig from someone around here?

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2576 on: September 05, 2020, 04:07:34 PM »
Yep we are also getting that temperature drop 20 degrees (C) but it's happening tonight!

So we biked, picnicked, stopped for ice cream on the way home - tonight we are grilling hamburgers, and having coleslaw to go with it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2577 on: September 05, 2020, 08:08:04 PM »
Homegrown sweet peppers stuffed with ground beef and olives and topped with Jack cheese, with homegrown air-fried broccoli on the side.

Tomorrow, maybe a roast chicken with homegrown butternut squash and sauteed kale.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2578 on: September 06, 2020, 08:36:34 AM »
Sadly, no temp drop here & it's expected to be hot well outside of our normal temp range in the bay area (102 forecast for today). My husband will grill chicken & corn, & will have that with rice + salad.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #2579 on: September 08, 2020, 07:06:00 PM »
Grilled teriyaki chicken and veggie skewers with jasmine rice

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2580 on: September 08, 2020, 09:09:53 PM »
We had homemade pizza, with a broccoli pesto sauce, grated golden beets, jalapenos, sun dried tomatoes, mozza and fresh tomatoes - served with a side green salad.
The broccoli pesto was a fabulously sneaky way to add more veggies for my kids ;)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2581 on: September 08, 2020, 09:59:34 PM »
We've made these great spicy bean cakes a couple of times in the last week from a recipe we got from NYT.  THey have harissa and a bunch of scallions, dill and cilantro, and we've tried it with black eyed peas and black beans so far.  The flavor profile is a great change of pace.

We made mac and cheese yesterday from a new recipe.  Then I realized DH has no fewer than 4 mac and cheese recipes with just slight differences in each and I had to call and end to that.  We need to pick our favorite and stick with it.  It wasn't this one we tried which had a ton of butter.  I never thought I'd say this, but there is such a thing as too much butter, and it never set up properly or had the proper consistency.  Very disappointing. Did not know you could go so wrong with mac and cheese!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2582 on: September 09, 2020, 09:41:15 AM »
@sui generis - it's serious business when you have too much butter! Can't believe it's possible ;-)

We're having grilled chicken, over salad tonight. I'll make a peach/mozzarella/basil second salad to go with it, as the chicken salad is pretty light

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2583 on: September 09, 2020, 04:43:46 PM »
breakfast for dinner tonight- it's just me and the kids

mini dutch babies
blueberry sauce
bacon

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2584 on: September 09, 2020, 09:03:26 PM »
Butternut squash are coming in so we made Inner Warmth Peanut Stew, a classic from a local brewpub here that my family's been making for years, my aunt originally got the recipe from the cook in the 90s before it was published online. Our version uses a habanero for some heat but today we only had jalapeños so we used a couple of those instead. Made about 8 servings worth, and froze probably 4.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2585 on: September 10, 2020, 05:28:42 AM »
Butternut squash are coming in so we made Inner Warmth Peanut Stew, a classic from a local brewpub here that my family's been making for years, my aunt originally got the recipe from the cook in the 90s before it was published online. Our version uses a habanero for some heat but today we only had jalapeños so we used a couple of those instead. Made about 8 servings worth, and froze probably 4.

Yum, this sounds delicious!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2586 on: September 10, 2020, 05:36:01 PM »
Well I started out making pulled pork with our last Kune Kune pig roast, but then DH got called out to ref a football game so I decided to have the last of the leftover cauliflower leek soup.  Tomorrow we'll have the pulled pork and green beans with cherry tomatoes from the garden.  Maybe some turnips or beets to round it all out.

In lieu of completing a dinner tonight, I'm going to start cooking down tomatoes to can for spaghetti sauce.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2587 on: September 10, 2020, 05:43:28 PM »
We're having steak, corn & asparagus

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2588 on: September 10, 2020, 10:11:10 PM »

Yum, this sounds delicious!

That does sound good!  My butternuts were prolific this year, so I am bookmarking that one.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2589 on: September 12, 2020, 08:03:26 PM »
Last night: cauliflower and black bean tacos, with a variety of spicy/pickled things to put on top, along with sour cream.
two nights ago: fairly spicy red lentil dal, rice, raita, and ... hang on, I'm pretty sure there was another vegetable?

This evening: baked potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, baked whole chicken breasts, roasted brussels sprouts, fried green tomatoes with the tomatoes I picked before the weather changed. But the garden, which we covered for two days, completely survived -- even the cucumbers!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2590 on: September 14, 2020, 08:30:39 AM »
Last night I made Salmon and double stuffed potatoes and green beans.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2591 on: September 14, 2020, 03:30:13 PM »
We're having grilled sausages & tortellini salad with garden tomatoes

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2592 on: September 15, 2020, 05:31:59 PM »
I am officially sick of cooking, thinking about menus, grocery shopping, baking bread, ... Yesh. I was hungry this afternoon, and couldn't really think of a thing I wanted to make and eat.

Anyhow,
Last night I had a thing from 6-8, so DH and DS made cauliflower quesadillas, which were delicious (they saved me one).

Tonight, we're having nicoise salad (with canned tuna and a green goddess-style dressing, since we have a ton of parsley).

Pretty soon, we're getting Indian takeout.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2593 on: September 16, 2020, 10:48:08 PM »
Slow roasted chicken with the garlic/lemon/tarragon treatment again.  On the side we had blistered Shishito peppers with sour cream dip, and a kale salad with blueberries, cherry tomatoes and slivered almonds.  All the veg came from the garden.

Yesterday was turkey/beef meatloaf with shredded zucchini mixed in, and a take on colcannon that was mashed turnips, potatoes,carrots and leeks with kale and peas.  All but the leeks and peas from the garden.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2594 on: September 17, 2020, 08:33:50 AM »
Last night we did a roasted couscous/chickpea casserole type dish that I just love and want to make more often.  Has lots of tomatoes, feta, herbs and is both rich/comforting and zesty.  https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019916-pearl-couscous-with-creamy-feta-and-chickpeas

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2595 on: September 17, 2020, 09:34:35 AM »
King crab I bought at Costco. Have not had it in years and am really looking forward to it! Extremely decadent and not frugal at all. But sometimes it is fun to splurge!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2596 on: September 17, 2020, 01:20:37 PM »
Tonight: hamburger salad. (very seasoned cooked ground beef, cooked with ketchup,worchestershire sauce, mustard, over a salad bed with homemade croutons, diced up pickles, shredded cheddar cheese, and probably pickled onions for me. What else could go on a burger? Tomatoes mostly got frozen last weekend...)

Tomorrow: My neighbor drives down to [nearest really big city] and buys several bushels of roasted peppers for the neighborhood and his family. We have many bags of freshly roasted poblanos that I just dumped in the freezer, so we'll probably be having huevos rancheros tomorrow.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2597 on: September 17, 2020, 01:27:49 PM »
It's Taco Thursday. We're having beef tacos with pico de gallo (using up lots of garden tomatoes & jalapenos) & guacamole. Oh, and margaritas. Because... of course

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2598 on: September 17, 2020, 07:40:08 PM »
King crab I bought at Costco. Have not had it in years and am really looking forward to it! Extremely decadent and not frugal at all. But sometimes it is fun to splurge!

YUM.

We’re having burgers. It has been a hell of a week and I am not inspired to cook. Hopefully next week will be better.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2599 on: September 18, 2020, 08:25:59 PM »
A creamy Italian soup with chicken and pasta (https://carlsbadcravings.com/creamy-basil-parmesan-italian-soup-recipe/) and spinach salad.  It has heavy cream, so of course it’s delicious.