Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950141 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2500 on: August 11, 2020, 03:27:01 AM »
Last night I had leftover lasagna too with a garden tomato chopped up on the side with mayo over some lettuce!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2501 on: August 11, 2020, 04:15:45 AM »
Last night I had leftover lasagna too with a garden tomato chopped up on the side with mayo over some lettuce!

How do you make your lasagne? I can't be arsed making a bechamel sauce, so I just do a couple layers of mashed, seasoned, cheesy kumara (sweet potato) in between the meat. Gives it that same cheesy luscious thing, but with an extra veg and a bit more ballast.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2502 on: August 11, 2020, 08:14:30 AM »

How do you make your lasagne? I can't be arsed making a bechamel sauce, so I just do a couple layers of mashed, seasoned, cheesy kumara (sweet potato) in between the meat. Gives it that same cheesy luscious thing, but with an extra veg and a bit more ballast.

I used this recipe for the sauce. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015178-marcella-hazans-tomato-sauce

I think I doubled the recipe and at the end it was a little watery so I added 6 oz tomato paste. Sometimes I add diced tomatoes to it. After it is cooked add herbs, Italian spices. (I add crushed red pepper (teaspoon) for some zing).

32 oz container Ricotta mixed with one egg, set aside.

Ground meat, maybe a lb. or more browned, drained of grease.

Sauté onion & peppers. Sliced mushrooms if you like.

Add meat, peppers, onions, mushrooms back to sauce.

Starting with a little sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish (9" X 13") place dry lasagna noodles layered (maybe 4-5) add more sauce (generous), shredded mozzarella and 6 large scoops of ricotta placed evenly and mashed down, baby spinach/fresh basil leaves if you like.

Start second layer and third if you have room.

Be very generous with the sauce because the noodles will suck up all the moisture. You can partially cook the noodles or even soak for a short time in warm water.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 08:51:12 AM by Roadrunner53 »

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2503 on: August 11, 2020, 08:23:09 AM »
A grilled chicken patty and fresh tomatoes and corn from sister's garden

Farmgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #2504 on: August 11, 2020, 08:51:32 AM »
Must Go Nite!  Leftover Brats and Pork Tenderloin.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2505 on: August 11, 2020, 10:33:35 AM »
Orange chicken over cauliflower rice, and salad

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2506 on: August 11, 2020, 10:35:25 AM »
Garden-based dinner tonight:  Garlicky zucchini noodles with fresh tomatoes and basil and some meatballs and parm.

Last night I made a big batch of loaded cauliflower salad, and we'll have those leftovers tomorrow night for dinner.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2507 on: August 11, 2020, 02:12:36 PM »
oil-rubbed kale, skillet potatoes with yellow peppers and garlic, pan fried tilapia.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2508 on: August 11, 2020, 02:48:07 PM »
Meatloaf, baby dutch potatoes, and roasted broccoli.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2509 on: August 11, 2020, 06:23:53 PM »
Stir fry!  Brown rice.  Chicken, Bell peppers, onion, broccoli and carrot
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 06:26:21 PM by v8rx7guy »

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2510 on: August 11, 2020, 06:27:36 PM »
We did a nibble dinner - cheese, salami, and crackers, veg and hummus, and a few olives.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2511 on: August 11, 2020, 06:56:52 PM »
Super strange dinner today--cooking up stuffed nasturtium leaves and braised romano beans to use up some garden box food :) Fingers crossed it tastes decent..

*both ended up being very tasty! Great success :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 08:34:52 PM by Serendip »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2512 on: August 11, 2020, 08:16:53 PM »

I used this recipe for the sauce. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015178-marcella-hazans-tomato-sauce

I think I doubled the recipe and at the end it was a little watery so I added 6 oz tomato paste. Sometimes I add diced tomatoes to it. After it is cooked add herbs, Italian spices. (I add crushed red pepper (teaspoon) for some zing).

32 oz container Ricotta mixed with one egg, set aside.

Ground meat, maybe a lb. or more browned, drained of grease.

Sauté onion & peppers. Sliced mushrooms if you like.

Add meat, peppers, onions, mushrooms back to sauce.

Starting with a little sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish (9" X 13") place dry lasagna noodles layered (maybe 4-5) add more sauce (generous), shredded mozzarella and 6 large scoops of ricotta placed evenly and mashed down, baby spinach/fresh basil leaves if you like.

Start second layer and third if you have room.

Be very generous with the sauce because the noodles will suck up all the moisture. You can partially cook the noodles or even soak for a short time in warm water.

Ricotta idea sounds great, as well as the recipe.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2513 on: August 11, 2020, 08:34:31 PM »
I made up a low-effort recipe for vegetarian huevos rancheros: refried beans and guacamole spread on a tortilla, sprinkled with shredded cheese and veggies and microwaved to melt the cheese.

It was good! If I make it again, I might add diced chicken or sour cream.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2514 on: August 12, 2020, 07:26:32 AM »
I'm going to use stock made from a rotisserie chicken carcass and the leftover meat, plus veggies, to make a pot pie-like filling to serve over rice. The rest of the stock will be used to make a pot of beans in the pressure cooker for tomorrow's dinner.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2515 on: August 12, 2020, 09:31:38 AM »
Last night: cauliflower and black bean tacos, with various bit of leftover veggies (pickled onions, thinly sliced radishes, that one ripe avocado, ...).

Tonight: Got me -- I'm going to the farmer's market this afternoon (if I get in line 15 min before they open I may be able to get a 20 lb box of peach seconds, which will last us about a week -- maybe this time I'll even be able to dehydrate some!). So probably something based on that.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2516 on: August 12, 2020, 04:41:26 PM »
Chicken burgers in pitas, with a tomato salad

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2517 on: August 12, 2020, 10:16:26 PM »
I made this chicken curry, but with whole bone-in chicken thighs, and some eggplant added.  We ate it over cauliflower rice with some cucumber/carrot raita and apricot chutney.

The curry had potential, but was a little bit bland.  I think it needed some more spices, like maybe some sumac and fenugreek leaves.  OK, and maybe a little more heat too.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2518 on: August 13, 2020, 10:44:43 AM »
Falafel with homemade pita and some Greek salad. We have some tomatoes, cukes, and peppers we need to use up, and I thought I had frozen falafel from a couple of weeks ago but turns out I tossed it when we moved last week. Then I was too far down the mental picture to shift my menu for the evening.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2519 on: August 13, 2020, 11:57:01 AM »
Frozen lasagna. We are now entering week 5 without a kitchen, but are in the home stretch

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2520 on: August 13, 2020, 03:29:39 PM »
bibimbap. today made it with ground turkey.  side veggies included soy glazed mushrooms, garlicky kale stems, sesame sautéed bokchoy, sliced cumcumber, grated carrots and chopped green onions.  used up a lot of various garden veggies.

next up-- tackling the zucchini.  I think I will the zucchini lentil fritters that were previously posted.

or I may give up and just make a batch of zucchini gummies to quickly use it all up.  we'll see.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2521 on: August 14, 2020, 11:11:22 AM »
Last night a chorizo-vegetable casserole made by grabbing random ingredients from the fridge after a hectic work day.  Actually came out delicious, and I just used the leftovers as filling for an omelette.

Tonight will be a super-sophisticate meal of dogs and tots.  I mean, they are Polish sausages from grassfed beef, and we'll have some collards from the garden as a side veg, but keeping it basic.  And there is some homemade ranch in the fridge that we shall dunk those air fried tots into.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2522 on: August 14, 2020, 03:25:31 PM »
@horsepoor - I'm super in for the bar food. You sold it with the homemade ranch.

We're having baked meatballs (toaster oven), over pasta for the kids. I'll have mine on a salad. It's slim pickings & grocery shopping day is tomorrow.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2523 on: August 14, 2020, 04:02:24 PM »
Last night a chorizo-vegetable casserole made by grabbing random ingredients from the fridge after a hectic work day.  Actually came out delicious, and I just used the leftovers as filling for an omelette.

Tonight will be a super-sophisticate meal of dogs and tots.  I mean, they are Polish sausages from grassfed beef, and we'll have some collards from the garden as a side veg, but keeping it basic.  And there is some homemade ranch in the fridge that we shall dunk those air fried tots into.

Haha, we make "beany weenies" sometimes, but our rendition is spicy sausages (ideally lamb mergueza sausage), and the white beans are cooked with a ton of vegetables and a couple spoonfuls of harrissa. My kids are going to be so confused when they go out into the world!

We're having red beans and rice, and chard. I am no good at growing collards or kale, but I excel at chard, apparently.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2524 on: August 14, 2020, 06:01:45 PM »
No specific meal plan for tonight and the freezer is getting a little thin on leftovers, but I remembered I still had some baby dutch potatoes, so I made a potato hash!  Potato, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, red onion, garlic, and spinach.  Topped with an egg and avocado.  (https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/the-food-lab-how-to-make-the-best-potato-hash.html)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2525 on: August 14, 2020, 06:08:25 PM »
Baked herb-butter tilapia, zucchini-rice-cheese gratin, and a salad of cherry tomatoes, cucumber, feta, and lemon vinaigrette. And margaritas.

Edit to add: holy cow, that zucchini gratin is GOOD. I used heavy cream as the liquid, no flour, and topped it with butter (instead of olive oil) during the last stage. 10/10 would make again.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:24:45 PM by OtherJen »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2526 on: August 15, 2020, 08:16:30 AM »
I think it's going to be street tacos with salsa verde. I made a mistake in my produce box order & have tomatillos staring at me. I've never made salsa verde, but have all of the ingredients.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2527 on: August 15, 2020, 05:31:42 PM »
Pulled pork, sweet potato, cabbage, and broccoli.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2528 on: August 15, 2020, 05:43:13 PM »
Sushi

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2529 on: August 16, 2020, 05:35:31 AM »
falafel waffles, skillet flatbreads, garden veggies( peppers kale cucumbers cherry tomatoes)

Care to share the recipe?

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/waffled-falafel-recipe-3361890

i usually just use 1 egg instead of the 2 egg whites. works fine.

@SailingOnASmallSailboat
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:40:09 AM by gatortator »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2530 on: August 16, 2020, 08:30:14 AM »
Salsa verde was easy & will definitely be making a reappearance. Everyone loved it.

Tonight we'll be having grilled burgers & potato salad

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2531 on: August 17, 2020, 10:38:25 AM »
So I put together a Greek salad with orzo, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts and onions, only to realize I was out of lemon juice for the vinaigrette.  I had lime juice though, and found this recipe online for honey-lime dressing: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/235712/honey-lime-vinaigrette/

Wow!  Super delish.  That recipe is a keeper.   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2532 on: August 17, 2020, 11:13:05 AM »
Orange chicken & cauliflower rice

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2533 on: August 18, 2020, 05:58:24 PM »
Pizza beans, a la Smitten Kitchen. It's a nice way to use up CSA tomatoes, kale and carrots from a recent Hungry Harvest box, and a pound of giant lima beans from Rancho Gordo.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2534 on: August 19, 2020, 10:52:22 AM »
Tacos, using up the last package of prepped taco meat, leftover corn tortillas from earlier in the week, salsa verde, and a tiny amount of salsa from Costco street tacos package

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2535 on: August 19, 2020, 11:43:43 AM »
Yum, pizza beans sound great!

We are doing a rainbow salad bowl, salad greens, grated raw carrots, grated raw beets, avocado, barley, grilled tofu, nuts/seeds with an avocado dressing.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2536 on: August 19, 2020, 01:09:27 PM »
I'm going to attempt a tamal de cazuela (tamale pie) filled with chorizo and vegetables. This will use up a few peppers from our garden, a big summer squash from a friend's garden, and the half-dozen tomatillos from our CSA share.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2537 on: August 20, 2020, 12:19:32 PM »
Leftover grilled burgers & salad. It will be a quick dinner after a late (socially distanced) soccer practice

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2538 on: August 20, 2020, 11:32:38 PM »
I made a sort of chicken larb with shredded leftover chicken, the last of the home grown cabbage, homegrown cucumbers, mint, basil and serranos, plus some red onion and orange bell pepper.  Dressed the whole thing with sesame oil, lime juice, fish sauce, sambal olek, ginger and garlic.

Put a dry rub on some pork ribs so I'll toss those in the smoker tomorrow at lunchtime and we'll enjoy them with some homegrown collards and carrots.

Found a deal on T-bone steaks today, so I've got those salted and drying a bit in the fridge, destined for the grill on Saturday night, maybe with air fried potatoes and some nice slices of heirloom tomatoes and sauteed chard or kale.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2539 on: August 21, 2020, 05:07:47 AM »
Salmon fillets cooked in foil packets with a mixture of cherry tomatoes, fennel, leeks, and basil. Sautéed chard and roasted shishito peppers on the side. We have a lot of vegetables to use up.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2540 on: August 21, 2020, 05:00:08 PM »
Grilled Zucchini, portabello sandwhiches... with goat cheese and an olive pesto.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2541 on: August 21, 2020, 05:24:54 PM »
Tonight will not be our best. We now have a dishwasher & sink, & I think the oven/stove combo is up & running. We don't have cabinets & much of the dishes & accessories are still in boxes. So, we're doing orange chicken & cauliflower rice again.

However, I have big plans to actually be able to cook this weekend & get some food ready to go for next week. (We typically cook on Saturday/Sunday & eat leftovers during the week)
Chicken curry & rice
Impossible burgers
Salmon burgers
Potentially kebabs & rice

Some variant of this will happen, I hope, over the weekend.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2542 on: August 21, 2020, 05:33:17 PM »
A chickpea "chicken" salad sandwich, and side salad.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2543 on: August 22, 2020, 04:43:35 PM »
Well, we were supposed to go out to a patio/socially distanced restaurant for the first time in six months, but the air quality is terrible due to the fires. So, my husband will make salmon & I'll have an egg/bagel/tomato sandwich.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2544 on: August 22, 2020, 05:44:44 PM »
Grilled chicken, baked potatoes, and blackened shishito peppers (from our garden).

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2545 on: August 22, 2020, 11:20:14 PM »
Maybe a smoothie of fruit and spinach, because I'm still suffering from the cheeseburger and beef-fat-cooked-fries I ate last night!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2546 on: August 23, 2020, 12:14:09 AM »
I splashed out when shopping, so lamb roast tonight, with the usual vegetables and my wife's pan gravy.

And a drop of red to help it all down. 

Not very mustachian though.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2547 on: August 23, 2020, 02:45:33 PM »
Last night: Paprika chicken and chickpeas over some leftover rice, sauteed okra, and spinach salad.

Tonight: Individual pizzas - 2 shaved asparagus, 2 sweet potato.  I haven't decided which I'll eat tonight - the other 3 go in the freezer.

ETA: DUH!! I forgot that I had a whole box of mushrooms I was supposed to use for the pizza after they were all assembled!  So I cut some up and threw them on tonight's pizza (asparagus) that was still in the oven.  Now I have to remember to use the rest of them for a meal in the next few days.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 06:14:30 PM by NotJen »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2548 on: August 23, 2020, 03:12:50 PM »
We're having koobideh (Persian beef kabobs) with rice & a yogurt/cucumber/dill sauce

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2549 on: August 23, 2020, 07:07:12 PM »
I made a big green salad with gorgeous heirloom tomatoes from the CSA share and lemon-oregano vinaigrette. Mom and Dad grilled steaks and made twice-baked potatoes, and served strawberry sundaes for dessert.

I’m sure I’ll need to eat again at some point tomorrow, but right now I can’t fathom eating again at all.