Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950140 times)

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #250 on: January 04, 2019, 07:19:33 PM »
Sea salt & Garlic Mahi-Mahi with smoky butter beans & cubed sweet potatoes and a tomato-avocado-purple onion salad

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: January 04, 2019, 07:30:52 PM »
spiralized a zucchini that was on it's last leg, sautéed it up with some pesto, and topped with a salmon burger from the freezer. I've had this meal at least 5 times in the past 2 weeks. So good

Spiralized zucchini is SO good! Your dinner sounds excellent.

krmit

• Stubble
« Reply #252 on: January 04, 2019, 08:20:54 PM »
Had a belated Christmas gathering with my family today, so...

Marmalade/maple/mustard glazed ham, sausage stuffing, skillet roasted butternut squash, biscuits, and chocolate pecan pie!

In other news, I don't have to cook the rest of the weekend!

Dixie_Amazon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #253 on: January 04, 2019, 08:23:53 PM »
Garlic Herb Baked Chicken Breasts, pasta and steamed broccoli.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #254 on: January 04, 2019, 09:53:24 PM »
An attempt at re-creating a tasty restaurant meal I had two weeks ago: meatballs in tomato sauce  over polenta (with Manchego rather than parm/asiago, because we had some to start using and I like it) and steamed broccoli. The broccoli went in the bowl under the sauce. It turned out pretty well -- it may make it into the regular rotation!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #255 on: January 05, 2019, 03:17:02 AM »
Just made Italians and couple boxes of cheesy Mac n Cheese. Tired of cooking. Then treated all to Culvers Ice cream

Dixie_Amazon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: January 05, 2019, 08:49:02 AM »
I am planning on a clear out the leftovers night.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #257 on: January 05, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »
Homemade Italian tomato sauce with lots of onion and even more peppers, lean organic ground beef served over pasta. Delish!
Yesterday we had smoked sausage with steamed potatoes and sauerkraut. Easy, quick and always a favorite.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: January 05, 2019, 05:35:21 PM »
Lentil-vegetable soup with a few ounces of leftover holiday ham from the freezer.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #259 on: January 07, 2019, 04:25:16 AM »
Last night we did our weekly breakfast dinner but this week we made our own version of Ham, Cheese, Bacon and egg Sandwiches, Hash browns and also made a Kilbasa.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #260 on: January 07, 2019, 11:29:40 AM »
We're having leftover salmon, rice & a salad

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #261 on: January 07, 2019, 12:34:56 PM »
Lamb tacos and asparagus risotto

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #262 on: January 07, 2019, 12:40:03 PM »
Have a Pork Roast going in the Crock pot. Made a big batch of mashed potatoes and will do a steamed green Vegetable for tonight.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #263 on: January 07, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »
Have a Pork Roast going in the Crock pot. Made a big batch of mashed potatoes and will do a steamed green Vegetable for tonight.

What kind of  pork do you use? I used to use pork loin in the CP with sauerkraut Lipton onion soup and onions for years and years. But the last few I cooked were terrible. The meat was so dry we could barely eat it. Pork has gotten to the point where there is very little fat on it and it dries up quickly. The last time I made it I used a pork butt and it came out great but wish I could use the pork loin like I used to.

I sued to put the pork in my CP before I went to work and it cooked on low all day long. It was always great, but no more!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: January 07, 2019, 01:10:24 PM »

What kind of  pork do you use? I used to use pork loin in the CP with sauerkraut Lipton onion soup and onions for years and years. But the last few I cooked were terrible. The meat was so dry we could barely eat it. Pork has gotten to the point where there is very little fat on it and it dries up quickly. The last time I made it I used a pork butt and it came out great but wish I could use the pork loin like I used to.

I sued to put the pork in my CP before I went to work and it cooked on low all day long. It was always great, but no more!

Pork shoulder is fantastic in the slow cooker.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #265 on: January 07, 2019, 02:10:02 PM »
Leftover pasta with broccoli and parmesan.  I tried out the trader joe's brown rice pasta again, and it just gets gluey.  The best GF pasta is Barilla, but it's >$2 for a 12 oz box.  I found a few boxes for $1.20 at Target awhile back when out of town (we don't have a target).  If it goes on sale for $1.79 I stock up.

Sigh.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #266 on: January 07, 2019, 02:22:38 PM »
Leftover pasta with broccoli and parmesan.  I tried out the trader joe's brown rice pasta again, and it just gets gluey.  The best GF pasta is Barilla, but it's >$2 for a 12 oz box.  I found a few boxes for $1.20 at Target awhile back when out of town (we don't have a target).  If it goes on sale for $1.79 I stock up.

Sigh.

Aldi has a rice pasta for $1/lb which tastes like regular pasta, just takes a little longer to cook. If you don't have an Aldi near you, well then nvm.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: January 07, 2019, 07:01:23 PM »
Pan-fried smoked sausage, gluten-free shells and cheese (Aldi store brand), and spinach salad.

No idea what to make tomorrow. I’m a bit burned out on cooking after the holidays, which isn’t helping.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #268 on: January 07, 2019, 08:23:48 PM »
I made ravioli with pesto sauce tonight :)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #269 on: January 07, 2019, 08:45:46 PM »
Bf is making pasta and veggie-ful red sauce (plain tomato sauce + veg, spices, wine). I'm enjoying a glass of wine.

I made chili-rubbed mahi mahi tacos with orange-avocado salsa and cabbage slaw last night. (Mahi mahi was $4/lb!)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #270 on: January 07, 2019, 09:28:27 PM »
The other night I accidentally pulled a beef roast out of the freezer thinking it was a pork roast, but made dinner with it anyway after my son said "go for it".  Coated the roast (about 1 1/2#) with salt and granulated garlic, and browned it in some butter with the instant pot on saute. Then deglazed the pot with some water, threw in some potatoes cut into thirds (home grown yukon gold and purple potatoes).  Placed the roast on top, fat side up.  Topped with about a cup of homemade sauerkraut.  Cooked under pressure for 30 minutes, followed with a natural release.  Removed the roast and potatoes from the pot, added a little cornstarch to the liquid to thicken, and put back on saute.

The recipe I got had you mashing the potatoes, but I don't bother doing that and just leave them like I would for pot roast.

It was good, but I'd like to try again with the "proper" pork loin roast.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #271 on: January 08, 2019, 06:32:38 AM »
Last night, chana masala over rice.

Tonight is scheduled to be fish, so I'm thinking salmon in a ginger-soy sauce, with rice and steamed veggies.  I'll have to go to the grocery store for the fish, though, we've managed to clean out the freezer.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #272 on: January 08, 2019, 07:33:59 AM »

Sigh.

Have you tried their black bean or red lentils pastas? GF and I prefer them to the rice ones a LOT. More protein too.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #273 on: January 08, 2019, 03:28:21 PM »
Made for tonight Chicken thighs baked in the oven, a creamy broccoli pasta and Green Beans.

35andFI

• Bristles
« Reply #274 on: January 08, 2019, 04:18:21 PM »
I made ravioli with pesto sauce tonight :)

I made ravioli with pesto sauce again...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2019, 06:55:51 PM »
@Philociraptor - I find that approach fascinating! I cook on Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays, & we eat leftovers on week days. But, that's just for dinner. My husband makes breakfast for the kids each day (I fast) & then the adults get free lunch at work & the kids get a packed school lunch. I'll have to think if I can better optimize any of our other meal prep.

We're having leftover General Tso's chicken & rice tonight.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2019, 09:24:36 PM »
Tonight's dinner was fairly quick and painless...
Soaked some small red beans overnight (turns out, they really aren't so small).  Pressure cooked 17 minutes (will cut that down to 15 next time).  While that was going, made rice in the rice cooker.  Also cut and cooked a large onion until golden brown in the cast iron skillet (in some butter).  Once the onions were good, I added a pint of home canned tomatoes after hitting them with the immersion blender (had the thing almost 20 years and just now using it again).  Added tikka masala seasoning.  When the beans were done, I blended about a cup of those, added it to the sauce (which didn't need thickening, just something I saw in a similar recipe not long ago).  Added the beans, the rice finished right on time, and dinner was done.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #277 on: January 09, 2019, 12:59:05 PM »

Sigh.

Have you tried their black bean or red lentils pastas? GF and I prefer them to the rice ones a LOT. More protein too.

I used to use the red lentil pasta...but I think it doesn't agree with my stomach.  At least, I had similar reactions to it that I have to wheat.

Also: no Aldi to the other poster

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #278 on: January 10, 2019, 03:14:05 AM »
Made for dinner Burgers stove top. My family loves my burgers and Its a nice quick meal. Along with that we had baked beans and a Pasta Salad- Mayo, mustard, white vinegar, green onion, celery, cubed colby cheese and pees.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #279 on: January 10, 2019, 06:31:05 AM »
Last night's dinner was crustless quiche with bacon, bell pepper, onion, and cheddar cheese.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #280 on: January 10, 2019, 08:21:22 AM »
I made this on Tuesday. It was so easy and so delicious, I think it's going to happen again tonight.

https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/thai-chicken-soup/

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #281 on: January 10, 2019, 09:17:29 AM »
bangers and mash, obviously also with peas and gravy :)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #282 on: January 11, 2019, 02:33:43 AM »

What is a banger and mash?

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #283 on: January 11, 2019, 02:37:50 AM »
Last night I made Beef stroganoff. Actually I made the meat and all in the morning and then around 3pm made the yolkless noodles and put it all in the crockpot to heat up and stay warm for the next 3 hours so with all the chasing people could eat and grab as they wanted. I also made a veggie filled side salad. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #284 on: January 11, 2019, 04:13:50 AM »

What is a banger and mash?

Sausages and mashed taters, pub food.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #285 on: January 11, 2019, 06:33:23 AM »
Lentil stew over rice last night.  Tonight is pizza!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2019, 07:49:17 AM »
We are making pizza! It's Friday, & I need the break :-)

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2019, 08:55:55 AM »
Improvised with some on-sale ingredients.

Fried a couple pieces of bacon, drained most of the fat (stored in a coffee can in the freezer for future use) and reserved the pieces.

Fried scallions and cherry tomatoes in the pan fat, then added some recaito and deglazed the pan with some of the beer I was drinking.  Added a can of red beans and let simmer until the liquid cooked down a bit.  Added juice from a lime and crumbled the bacon pieces into the stew.

Served over hot white rice.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2019, 08:59:45 AM »
Tonight I'm making one of my favorites: spinach artichoke pasta

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #289 on: January 11, 2019, 06:58:04 PM »
Chicken salad (from a whole chicken roasted at home) in a 50/50 mayo/sour cream dressing, with celery and pecans for crunch and dried cherries and scallions for flavor. Salad was served in gluten-free flatbreads with baby spinach. Everything except the salt, pepper, and whole chicken (Meijer $0.59/lb. sale) was purchased at Aldi.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2019, 04:06:03 AM »
Chicken salad (from a whole chicken roasted at home) in a 50/50 mayo/sour cream dressing, with celery and pecans for crunch and dried cherries and scallions for flavor. Salad was served in gluten-free flatbreads with baby spinach. Everything except the salt, pepper, and whole chicken (Meijer $0.59/lb. sale) was purchased at Aldi.

I gotta try that. Love chicken Salad but never have really made it. And I love pecans in things. maybe a few grapes too.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #291 on: January 12, 2019, 04:29:28 PM »
Shepherds pie
Turned out really nice, with a crust made of potato & sweet potato mash & cheese and fit very well with overcast rainy weather.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #292 on: January 12, 2019, 04:56:40 PM »
We are having beef tacos

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #293 on: January 12, 2019, 07:13:19 PM »

I gotta try that. Love chicken Salad but never have really made it. And I love pecans in things. maybe a few grapes too.

Definitely try it. Dried cranberries also work well. I kept this dressing fairly plain, but it's also very good when seasoned with curry powder (start with a half teaspoon and increase if preferred).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #294 on: January 12, 2019, 07:14:07 PM »
Tonight's dinner was pan-fried bratwursts, baked potatoes, and spinach salad.

krmit

• Stubble
« Reply #295 on: January 12, 2019, 07:23:33 PM »
Homemade pizza. Dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, feta cheese, artichoke hearts - the house standard.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #296 on: January 13, 2019, 12:26:23 AM »
Really old leftover lentil soup nuked, with some kielbasa, peppers and onions sauteed and thrown in. Quick and easy and got some kielbasa left for scrambled eggs tomorrow w00t.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: January 13, 2019, 03:46:58 PM »
Chicken vegetable soup with a base of homemade stock. I added some tomato paste and a can of hominy for variety (I’m not a huge fan of standard chicken-noodle soup).

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #298 on: January 13, 2019, 06:08:55 PM »
Fresh potato gnocchi, with homemade tomato sauce and green beans on the side.  I've been meaning to make up a batch of gnocchi for the freezer, but was putting it off due to the time it takes.  Well worth it once I get going.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #299 on: January 13, 2019, 06:12:11 PM »
Elk burgers with cheddar and roast sweet potato chunks. (The cubes cook better than fries do!) May have artichokes for 'desert' if we're still hungry.