Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950082 times)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2350 on: July 14, 2020, 11:26:55 AM »
Mexican black beans with street corn and shredded chicken all simmering in the slow cooker.  We'll either eat it with tortillas, on top of salad, or scooped up with corn chips depending on the person.  The best part is no messy cooking at dinnertime. :-)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2351 on: July 14, 2020, 11:30:39 AM »
We're having kebabs & rice (leftovers, reheated)

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2352 on: July 14, 2020, 12:32:47 PM »
Grilled pork tenderloin, with a roasted cauliflower and chickpea curried yogurt salad.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2353 on: July 14, 2020, 05:54:27 PM »
Healthy Taco Tuesday Salad - Iceberg lettuce, Tomato, Salsa, and leftover Costco roast chicken

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #2354 on: July 14, 2020, 06:29:56 PM »
Tacos: mashed black beans, chorizo and all the yummy toppings on toasted corn tortillas.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2355 on: July 15, 2020, 09:23:57 AM »
Breakfast burritos for DH & LO: eggs, some leftover bacon, mushrooms, a salsa/greek yogurt crema, shredded cheese. Some on-its-last-legs fruit on the side.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2356 on: July 15, 2020, 09:30:31 AM »
Stir-fry of marinated tofu, cauliflower, carrots, scallions, and the first of our homegrown shishito peppers. Haven't decided whether to serve it over rice or noodles.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2357 on: July 15, 2020, 10:22:24 AM »
Pork tenderloin, baby potatoes, spinach salad, and maybe another veg. [edit, added roasted cauliflower.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 06:29:45 PM by NotJen »

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2358 on: July 15, 2020, 12:12:29 PM »
grilled chicken thighs, spicy Asian greens, rice

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2359 on: July 15, 2020, 12:28:20 PM »
I'm making slow cooker Thai peanut chicken. We have no kitchen, so this should be an easy option. https://dinnerthendessert.com/slow-cooker-thai-peanut-chicken/

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2360 on: July 15, 2020, 12:30:37 PM »
We got beets, kohlrabi, and fennel bulbs in our CSA box this week, so trying to think of something to do with these. Maybe a soup recipe? If all else fails we can just roast 'em all, probably on the grill to avoid heating up the house. 

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2361 on: July 15, 2020, 02:28:14 PM »
Breakfast for dinner - pancakes, scrambled eggs, pineapple.  I forgot to defrost things, and it's grocery day tomorrow.  The pickings are slim other than frozen pizza or Indian food....We're having a pizza party Friday and Indian dinner at a neighbors on Thursday. Breakfast it is!  I may ask everyone to put on their PJs in honor of this.

Edit - someone already ate the pineapple....so it's canned pears made into a compote for dinner and waffles instead of pancakes.  Someone also ate a bunch of eggs at some point this afternoon, so it's a single fried egg per person for dinner.  Oh, and the bacon I had planned also got eaten by a teenager sometime between lunch and now. Seriously - a whole POUND of bacon is gone. That's what I get for precooking it to just "reheat" for dinner. So it's turkey bacon for dinner. Let the whining about turkey bacon begin in my house.  TEENAGERS will eat almost anything you leave prepped around, but I bet they wouldn't have eaten the turkey bacon.

I was only gone for 1.5 hours.  LOL.  I was not there to defend my meal. In all fairness to the ravenous teens, I really need to get to the grocery store.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:37:07 PM by couponvan »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2362 on: July 15, 2020, 03:27:53 PM »
We got beets, kohlrabi, and fennel bulbs in our CSA box this week, so trying to think of something to do with these. Maybe a soup recipe? If all else fails we can just roast 'em all, probably on the grill to avoid heating up the house.

I prefer kohlrabi and fennel raw, so I'd cut them into pieces and make salads (two separate ones: I'd dress the kohlrabi with lemon and olive oil and salt, and add apples and/or oranges with the fennel) and roast the beets. YMMV, depending on how you prefer things.

I'm partly through making chili (it cooled off here today, yippee!), which will probably be nachos. Or we'll serve with corn tortillas and slaw and fresh corn which just arrived from our farm delivery.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2363 on: July 15, 2020, 04:27:27 PM »
I have a large flatiron steak, so I sliced it thin and half is marinating with Mexican seasonings for beef fajitas with lots of summer squash as tonight's dinner.

The other half is marinating in fish sauce, ginger, garlic, sambal, lime juice and sesame oil for a beef larb tomorrow.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #2364 on: July 16, 2020, 07:53:16 AM »
I made a tofu, egg, pepper and onion stir fry with peanut sauce. Served over roasted cabbage and rice.
I feel pretty accomplished considering I'm feeding a pescatarian, someone who eats limited vegetables, and someone who eats limited carbs right now.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2365 on: July 16, 2020, 08:33:48 AM »
Dinner tonight - is a twist on a nicoise salad:

Bed of greens and a layer of barley/whole red lentil mix then topped with green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, and canned tuna.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2366 on: July 16, 2020, 11:49:42 AM »
My slow cooker recipe last night was a fail. Given how much work it was to prep (not normally, just because we don't have a kitchen at the moment), it was doubly disappointed. It was very bland. I'll attempt to doctor it ahead of leftover time.

For today, we'll be having taco salads.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2367 on: July 16, 2020, 02:27:44 PM »

Bed of greens and a layer of barley/whole red lentil mix then topped with green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, and canned tuna.

May I just say how much, this time of year, I love dinners that are "the idea of a nicoise salad"?
Standard (potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies, tuna, hard boiled eggs, homemade basil/parsley vinagrette)
"German" (potatoes, cooked cabbage, sliced grilled sausage, capers, , maybe eggs, sourkruat, apple cider vinaigrette)
"beef" (potatoes, cooked green veg, tomatoes, something pickled, hb eggs, probably homemade green goddess dressing)

Obviously, I like potatoes, but that's not a limitation: something starchy, something green and cooked, some other vegetables, something pickled, some kind of protein, some dressing. Everything's served in one giant bowl, and it's all delicious. Most of it isn't hot, but it needn't be cold -- I can cook the eggs/potatoes/vegetables earlier in the day, dress them, and they can hang out for dinner.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2368 on: July 16, 2020, 09:47:08 PM »
The beef larb came out sooo good.  Quick and easy, chopping up the veggies while the beef cooked, added in kelp noodles, and then tossed in the raw dressed veggies and it was all good to go.

Tomorrow I think I'll make zucchini "crab" cakes because I have zucs piling up like cordwood, and my pound of Old Bay arrived (apparently there was a shortage(?) and I couldn't find any locally).  I'll do a dill sour cream to drizzle on them, and blistered sugar snap peas on the side.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2369 on: July 17, 2020, 02:04:34 AM »
The beef larb came out sooo good.  Quick and easy, chopping up the veggies while the beef cooked, added in kelp noodles, and then tossed in the raw dressed veggies and it was all good to go.

Tomorrow I think I'll make zucchini "crab" cakes because I have zucs piling up like cordwood, and my pound of Old Bay arrived (apparently there was a shortage(?) and I couldn't find any locally).  I'll do a dill sour cream to drizzle on them, and blistered sugar snap peas on the side.

Oh my gosh, I KNEW there had to be an Old Bay shortage! I haven't been able to get it for months! Glad you finally found some.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2370 on: July 17, 2020, 05:51:23 AM »
Tonight’s dinner will include this recipe for crisped chickpeas with herbs and garlic yogurt, over sautéed zucchini as recommended. I might also make a small batch of stuck-pot rice with lentils and yogurt.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2371 on: July 17, 2020, 06:20:16 AM »
Last night was a party with neighbors - No making dinner.  (Outside, social distancing, but way too many people.)
Tonight is pizza for vegan friends on the deck - No making dinner!
Tomorrow night is another party with neighbors - No making dinner!!

I feel almost pre-COVID this week.  It's surreal. No nothing for ever so long and then 3 social activities in one week. Granted the bubble of the neighbors is pretty darn insulated since we're all here together anyway.

Tonight’s dinner will include this recipe for crisped chickpeas with herbs and garlic yogurt, over sautéed zucchini as recommended. I might also make a small batch of stuck-pot rice with lentils and yogurt.

This sounds fabulous @OtherJen - did it turn out?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2372 on: July 17, 2020, 06:23:33 AM »

I'll let you know! It's my plan for this evening.

Edit: this dinner was really good! Exactly what I wanted.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:44:26 PM by OtherJen »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2373 on: July 17, 2020, 07:34:34 AM »
We're keeping life easy having pizzas (cauliflower crust for keto eaters, full on regular pizza for the kiddos). Will have a salad with the pizza

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #2374 on: July 17, 2020, 12:51:21 PM »
garden veggie( chard, bok choy, green onions, snap peas, zucchini) and ground pork stir fry with this yummy sauce.

http://nwedible.com/diy-mason-jar-stir-fry-sauce/

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #2375 on: July 17, 2020, 03:58:13 PM »

May I just say how much, this time of year, I love dinners that are "the idea of a nicoise salad"?
Standard (potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies, tuna, hard boiled eggs, homemade basil/parsley vinagrette)
"German" (potatoes, cooked cabbage, sliced grilled sausage, capers, , maybe eggs, sourkruat, apple cider vinaigrette)
"beef" (potatoes, cooked green veg, tomatoes, something pickled, hb eggs, probably homemade green goddess dressing)

Obviously, I like potatoes, but that's not a limitation: something starchy, something green and cooked, some other vegetables, something pickled, some kind of protein, some dressing. Everything's served in one giant bowl, and it's all delicious. Most of it isn't hot, but it needn't be cold -- I can cook the eggs/potatoes/vegetables earlier in the day, dress them, and they can hang out for dinner.

Yes - and see also the 'pan bagnat' best picnic sandwhich ever!

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2376 on: July 18, 2020, 06:55:32 PM »
Thai Coconut Shrimp (https://www.foodiecrush.com/shrimp-in-thai-coconut-sauce/), served with roasted eggplant and peas.  It got rave reviews, so another keeper.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:57:14 PM by NotJen »

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2377 on: July 18, 2020, 07:48:43 PM »

I'll let you know! It's my plan for this evening.

Edit: this dinner was really good! Exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for posting this! We also made this and it was super tasty. I slightly burned the chickpeas (they took forever to brown and then went from brown > black in an instant) but it was still super tasty. I cooked the chickpeas from dry in the instant pot and made extra so I'll probably turn that into hummus tomorrow- we got snap peas, broccoli, and carrots in our CSA that'll work well for dipping :)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2378 on: July 18, 2020, 09:38:21 PM »
@turketron , you're welcome! It popped up on Facebook and I know that many people in N. America currently have a glut of summer squash.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2379 on: July 18, 2020, 09:39:29 PM »
We grilled chicken thighs marinated in a pesto-like sauce, zucchini slices, and potato and onion slices in foil packets.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2380 on: July 19, 2020, 10:53:40 AM »
@turketron , you're welcome! It popped up on Facebook and I know that many people in N. America currently have a glut of summer squash.

If you're looking for another zucchini/summer squash recipe, these are really tasty: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/zucchini-lentil-fritters-with-lemony-yogurt

We made them last week and are planning on making them again tonight, but this time we're going to try baking them in the oven, which was suggested in some of the reviews as working pretty well.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2381 on: July 19, 2020, 11:50:17 AM »
I cooked for lunch - individual pizzas.  I hadn't made pizza in a while, so it was extra delicious!  This batch had eggplant, mushrooms, red onions, and mozzarella, with a tomato sauce, garlic, and rosemary.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2382 on: July 19, 2020, 01:01:23 PM »
Had fried/baked perch dredged in egg and flour, along with fried potatoes, roast zuchini and coleslaw. Have enough left over will have fish sandwiches for dinner. I only got the perch because they were out of the fish I was going to buy, and it was the least expensive fish. But me and the kids really enjoyed it, so will look out for it more often.

The roast zuchinni is really easy: place 1/2" or thicker slices of zucchini on an oiled sheet: sprinkle with salt and pepper, and grate some parmesan cheese on top. Place in preheated oven and roast till a little brown on top but still firm.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 01:09:03 PM by partgypsy »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2383 on: July 19, 2020, 01:11:14 PM »

If you're looking for another zucchini/summer squash recipe, these are really tasty: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/zucchini-lentil-fritters-with-lemony-yogurt

We made them last week and are planning on making them again tonight, but this time we're going to try baking them in the oven, which was suggested in some of the reviews as working pretty well.

wow this looks really good. Will need to get some red lentils.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2384 on: July 19, 2020, 01:17:17 PM »
Last night -- we hit the farmer's market yesterday, and a neighbor gave us a container of homemade pesto. So I made fresh linguini, and we had it with the pesto, loads of fresh green beans, and also fresh sweet corn.

Tonight: Grilled pork chops, baked sweet potatoes, cooked greens with lots of garlic. There may be adobo sauce involved, and there may or may not be additional baked yukon golds so we can try to have some leftovers. Some sweet thing, probably.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2385 on: July 19, 2020, 01:36:56 PM »
We caved & did takeout last night. No kitchen + no water (temporarily, now back) was enough to push me to the limit. Tonight I'll try to liven up the Thai peanut chicken dish I made that was super bland. We'll serve it with fried rice (leftovers) for the carb eaters. And, caprese salad with tomatoes & basil from the garden.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2386 on: July 19, 2020, 01:40:30 PM »

Seconded. I love zucchini fritters but never thought to include lentils. Definitely saving this one. Thanks, @turketron !

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2387 on: July 19, 2020, 07:23:02 PM »
Roasted corn; braised artichokes; smashed blue potatoes and a Boca burger, needed to clear some freezer space!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2388 on: July 19, 2020, 07:38:58 PM »
Husband cooked, so we had grilled bratwurst, grilled bok choy, and baked sweet potatoes.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2389 on: July 19, 2020, 07:46:00 PM »
I found a couple of thick slices of turkey in the freezer. I had fresh asparagus, carrots and sugar snap peas on hand. I decided to try fried rice for the first time ever. I read through a couple recipes on the internet and cobbled the dish together based on what I had on hand (eggs, scallions, ginger, garlic, lime, fish sauce, sesame oil, a little brown sugar - oh, and some frozen peas for good measure). I grilled the veggies and cubed turkey. I made brown rice in the IP, chilled it in the freezer, then I fried it on my griddle, as I don't have a wok or an over sized frying pan. Mixed it all up and boom, it was dinner! I was planning on leftovers, but my men chowed it all down. I'm trying to postpone grocery shopping for another week, so I was thrilled to come up with something family-pleasing out of random things I had on hand.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2390 on: July 20, 2020, 07:21:09 AM »

Seconded. I love zucchini fritters but never thought to include lentils. Definitely saving this one. Thanks, @turketron !

Yeah, they're really tasty. We harvested our first cucumber from the garden yesterday so we made tzatziki instead of the lemony yogurt and it was delicious! We also tested the oven method which works well, there was a little sticking but it wasn't too bad. 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes, flip halfway through. Definitely easier than standing over a hot stove to deep fry!

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2391 on: July 20, 2020, 03:16:19 PM »
Living off the land tonight, harvested and grew this meal.
Bacon wrapped venison steak chunks on the charcoal grill and a tomato / cucumber salad with balsamic dressing.
Homemade blackberry pie.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2392 on: July 20, 2020, 05:37:02 PM »
The last of the homemade spaghetti sauce from the freezer, pasta, and mixed veggie salad with vinaigrette.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2393 on: July 20, 2020, 06:12:34 PM »
Grilled burgers, caprese salad (tomatoes & basil from the garden) & green salad

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2394 on: July 21, 2020, 02:33:29 PM »
I made kale chips for the first time today... yummy!    I made a little different than the recipe but used only kale, a little butter flavored cooking spray, and popcorn salt. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2395 on: July 21, 2020, 02:43:43 PM »
Mixed vegetable and white bean soup in the slow cooker. It's a good way to use a surplus of veggies and a quart of chicken stock from the freezer.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2396 on: July 21, 2020, 03:08:41 PM »
I made kale chips for the first time today... yummy!    I made a little different than the recipe but used only kale, a little butter flavored cooking spray, and popcorn salt.
I love kale chips!  I'm missing my CSA boxes and farmer's market trips this year.  Maybe I should see what the kale at the grocery store looks like this week.

Tonight I'm trying out a Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Frittata (https://www.toopreciousforprocessed.com/recipes/2015/12/sweet-potato-and-cauliflower-frittata), and I'm making a batch of Corona beans from Rancho Gordo (super excited for these!).  I'll offer my BF some toast as well, if he needs more to round out the meal.  I usually want to have a green veggie, but none of those left until I shop on Friday (I do have some salads mixed up for the next few days for myself).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2397 on: July 21, 2020, 06:33:58 PM »
Lubia polo (Persian dish of rice, ground beef, green beans & lots of flavor. Cinnamon! Saffron!) It's delicious

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2398 on: July 22, 2020, 10:54:30 AM »
Some of our local farmers are doing delivery, and some of the farmer's markets will let you pre-order and do curbside pickups.

I'm going to attempt to go to the farmers market this afternoon in time to get a box of peach seconds. Unfortunately, I have to be back here an hour after they open for a work call, so my plan is to get there early, get a place in the front of the line, read a book, and get in and through as quickly as possible.

Meanwhile, considering that I'll be on calls 5-7 or so, I'm cooking chicken in a crockpot now for enchiladas (that I'll assemble around 2).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2399 on: July 22, 2020, 01:33:41 PM »
Black bean and sweet potato tacos.

Edit: black bean and sweet potato tostadas. The filling was a bit too mushy for tacos but was perfect on the improvised tostada shells (tortillas brushed with oil and baked).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:23:14 PM by OtherJen »