Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950122 times)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2300 on: July 05, 2020, 08:59:50 AM »
Bok Choy Miso Ramen w/ soysauce Marinated eggs..

:)

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2301 on: July 05, 2020, 09:28:41 AM »
Yesterday I went to the new butcher shop and bought some local beef that we made into hamburgers. We made squash casserole with garden bounty and some baked beans.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2302 on: July 05, 2020, 07:52:40 PM »
Grilled salmon, grilled zucchini, and mixed vegetable salad with lime basil vinaigrette.

We hadn't ever tried lime basil before, but it was in this week's CSA share. It's so good that I want to try growing it next summer.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2303 on: July 06, 2020, 07:44:13 PM »
Made my easy baked salmon - in a glass pan, put salmon, cover with 1/4 inch of pickle juice, top with garlic salt, fresh ground pepper, and dill weed.  Bake at 350 until cooked.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2304 on: July 06, 2020, 08:14:22 PM »
We're trying a new pasta suggestion - fettucine with a sauce made from ricotta, a handful of mint, a shallot and some lemon juice and EVOO.  S&P + crushed red pepper as well.  So easy, it could make it into our rotation, especially since we have unending supplies of mint in our garden.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2305 on: July 06, 2020, 11:01:21 PM »
For the second night in a row, homemade meatballs with a tomato sauce, fresh basil, good parm and thinly spiralized zucchini noodles.  I predict that we'll be having this several more times this summer.

Tomorrow will be pizza and a big salad with the last of the homegrown lettuce.

Farmgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #2306 on: July 07, 2020, 06:52:44 AM »
Dinner tonight (and tomorrow) is the end of the meatballs I made and froze in January (The Meatball Shop recipe) and Spaghetti sauce I made and froze in April from frozen tomatoes from the 2018 garden.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2307 on: July 07, 2020, 08:32:10 AM »
@sui generis - we have the same unending supply of mint, so do report back on the recipe

Last night we had burgers, hot dogs & potato salad leftover from the 4th of July.

Tonight is going to be a Thai curry chicken vegetable dish. Either over zoodles, to use up a zucchini from the garden, or perhaps with snap peas.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2308 on: July 07, 2020, 08:34:54 AM »
Beans and rice, because I can cook everything in the pressure cooker. It's stupid hot and humid here.

If I can convince husband to fire up the charcoal tomorrow, maybe we'll have turkey burgers. I have some small red potatoes that I could pop in the pressure cooker for potato salad, and loads of veggies.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 09:21:18 AM by OtherJen »

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2309 on: July 07, 2020, 08:56:31 AM »
Chicken enchiladas (https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/best-chicken-enchiladas-ever/).  Not a usual for me, but I saw a picture of enchiladas recently, and decided I needed to make some.  Will serve with a salad.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2310 on: July 07, 2020, 08:56:47 AM »
@sui generis - we have the same unending supply of mint, so do report back on the recipe

Last night we had burgers, hot dogs & potato salad leftover from the 4th of July.

Tonight is going to be a Thai curry chicken vegetable dish. Either over zoodles, to use up a zucchini from the garden, or perhaps with snap peas.

It was pretty good!  My problem was that I usually only cook from a specific recipe, so not having exact measurements means I'll have to continue experimenting to find the right amounts.  I put far too little of...just about everything...because I was tasting the "sauce" before I added the pasta, and once the pasta was in, it became clear there was far too little mint and salt especially.  I must have put in at least 3T of chopped mint, and it could use plenty more, so it's a good way to use it up!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2311 on: July 07, 2020, 12:35:01 PM »

It was pretty good!  My problem was that I usually only cook from a specific recipe, so not having exact measurements means I'll have to continue experimenting to find the right amounts.  I put far too little of...just about everything...because I was tasting the "sauce" before I added the pasta, and once the pasta was in, it became clear there was far too little mint and salt especially.  I must have put in at least 3T of chopped mint, and it could use plenty more, so it's a good way to use it up!

Excellent, thanks! So far, we've dried the mint & used a bunch for mojitos (yum), but looking for other options.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2312 on: July 07, 2020, 03:07:24 PM »
I'm making a version of this crispy tofu with blistered snap peas since I have a good harvest of snap peas and some tofu already marinating.  Instead of cashews and coconut milk, I'm thinking more of a peanut sauce.  It will be served over zucchini noodles because the zucchini onslaught is officially underway.

Yum! All of this sounds good.

We made this (the original recipe) and it was delicious. And surprisingly filling. (We had it over rice.)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2313 on: July 07, 2020, 03:09:30 PM »

We had that last night.

Today is my baby's 8th birthday.  He requested steak, mashed potatoes, and green beans.  Well, he's getting tri-tip instead of steak, but otherwise...plus a Pokemon cake (lemon, basically like a poke-ball).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2314 on: July 08, 2020, 08:15:21 AM »
Last night I made blistered sugar snap peas with a little leftover bacon grease, Aleppo pepper and finely chopped mint tossed in at the last second.  Really tasty, and I have lots of peas, so I'll be doing this again.

I don't usually cook with mint, but I think this thread inspired me, and I had a bunch of it in the fridge (makes the fridge smell nice!).

I also had a nice piece of salmon and sliced some homegrown carrots and cooked them in a little chicken stock and butter, along with some dried lemon peel.

It was a lovely quick dinner after getting home from the barn at 9 pm.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2315 on: July 08, 2020, 10:16:20 AM »
Last night's dinner was a struggle (our fridge is a disaster), so we ended up with pasta taco bake from the freezer. Tonight will be the chicken curry dish, over zoodles.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2316 on: July 08, 2020, 10:56:21 AM »
Broiled lake trout from Lake Michigan and grilled garden veggies.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2317 on: July 09, 2020, 07:57:23 AM »
We're still in the process of eating a collection of random things we brought back from our vacation house. Tonight will be the following assortment:
-Salmon (x1)
-Taco bake (x1)
-Burgers (x2)
All served with salad & watermelon

I was inspired by the snap pea ideas, so roasted them yesterday and then sprinkled a bit of parmesan cheese on at the end. Very good, but could have used a few more minutes in the oven. Will try again.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2318 on: July 09, 2020, 08:10:02 AM »
Beans and rice, because I can cook everything in the pressure cooker. It's stupid hot and humid here.

If I can convince husband to fire up the charcoal tomorrow, maybe we'll have turkey burgers. I have some small red potatoes that I could pop in the pressure cooker for potato salad, and loads of veggies.

Nope, we had a stir-fry of marinated tofu and various veggies, including the last of the scallions and bok choy from the CSA share, over rice. We'll do the turkey burgers tonight with green salad and air-fried potatoes.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2319 on: July 09, 2020, 09:06:46 AM »

Nope, we had a stir-fry of marinated tofu and various veggies, including the last of the scallions and bok choy from the CSA share, over rice. We'll do the turkey burgers tonight with green salad and air-fried potatoes.

They don't grill well, but Ottolenghi's turkey and zucchini burgers are really good (and sneak some vegetables inside, for bonus veggie servings):search "yotam ottolenghi turkey zucchini burgers". Extra bonus -- they use up some mint!

We tried the Smitten Kitchen stuck-pot-rice-and-lentils thing again, and I managed to burn the bottom (and thus get a whole lot of crunchy bits, although they had to be chipped out rather than being an even layer) with a little chicken andouille sausage, there first fresh corn and tomatoes of the year, and some grilled peppers (I had a farm drop off yesterday, so we ate the better looking tomatoes and the corn, and grilled all the non-bell peppers).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2320 on: July 09, 2020, 10:02:38 AM »

They don't grill well, but Ottolenghi's turkey and zucchini burgers are really good (and sneak some vegetables inside, for bonus veggie servings):search "yotam ottolenghi turkey zucchini burgers". Extra bonus -- they use up some mint!

We tried the Smitten Kitchen stuck-pot-rice-and-lentils thing again, and I managed to burn the bottom (and thus get a whole lot of crunchy bits, although they had to be chipped out rather than being an even layer) with a little chicken andouille sausage, there first fresh corn and tomatoes of the year, and some grilled peppers (I had a farm drop off yesterday, so we ate the better looking tomatoes and the corn, and grilled all the non-bell peppers).

Ack. We won't have zucchini until we get tomorrow's CSA share. I was planning to spice ours up with feta, red bell pepper, oregano, and red onion. And then grill them on foil because turkey burgers are not super cooperative.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2321 on: July 09, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »
We're still in the process of eating a collection of random things we brought back from our vacation house. Tonight will be the following assortment:
-Salmon (x1)
-Taco bake (x1)
-Burgers (x2)
All served with salad & watermelon

I was inspired by the snap pea ideas, so roasted them yesterday and then sprinkled a bit of parmesan cheese on at the end. Very good, but could have used a few more minutes in the oven. Will try again.
Your post vacation house eating is what I call "Thursday".

We get produce delivery on Thursday after lunch and Sat pm.  By now, it's soooo random.

So lunch today is: leftover takeout Mexican - 1/2 a burrito, 2/3 of a plate of Alhambres, 1/4 of a quesadilla.  Plus:
Leftover Thai chicken and veg curry over rice
Leftover tri tip and mashed potatoes.

I think we have 1/2 a cucumber, two apples, and some carrots.  Big kid got braces off yesterday, so carrot sticks for lunch!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2322 on: July 09, 2020, 05:07:10 PM »
Supper: fried squash, baked beans, meat loaf with local beef and the post meal gin basil smashes with cucumber garnish on the patio

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2323 on: July 09, 2020, 05:40:24 PM »
I found angel hair shredded cabbage at the 99 Cents Only Store today, so i made Cole Slaw. No idea what I'm going to make to go with it yet...

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2324 on: July 09, 2020, 05:41:31 PM »
Now that I've been to Trader Joe's (I'm alternating weeks with a smaller local grocer) we're having cauliflower and black bean tacos: roughly modeled on these: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/roasted-cauliflower-black-bean-tacos/

I don't understand why the cauliflowers at TJ are $3, and at my local grocery they're more like $7, but guess which ones we buy every time I go through the store? (partial answer: because they're not yet in season here.)

Leftover roasted cauliflower will be hidden in the back of the fridge and used for pasta salad in a few days, with celery, roasted red peppers, olives, tiny salami bits, diced provolone, and whatever else is hanging around looking like it'll go.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2325 on: July 09, 2020, 05:48:27 PM »
What the hell? I only buy cauliflower at the 99 Cent Only Store. I've purchased white, orange and purple this quarter, plus an occasional hybrid that I think is a broccoli/cauliflower combo. SEVEN dollars? Eeks! Boy am I sheltered.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2326 on: July 09, 2020, 05:54:19 PM »
What the hell? I only buy cauliflower at the 99 Cent Only Store. I've purchased white, orange and purple this quarter, plus an occasional hybrid that I think is a broccoli/cauliflower combo. SEVEN dollars? Eeks! Boy am I sheltered.

Same here. I live in the cold, frozen north, where there are no locally grown crops for 6 months out of the year, and I’ve never paid anything close to $7 for a head of cauliflower. Maybe $3 in winter (even at Aldi), and it’s worth it because it’s so delicious when roasted. Definitely $7. Yikes. Regional grocery prices are nuts.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2327 on: July 09, 2020, 06:05:07 PM »

Same here. I live in the cold, frozen north, where there are no locally grown crops for 6 months out of the year, and I’ve never paid anything close to $7 for a head of cauliflower. Maybe $3 in winter (even at Aldi), and it’s worth it because it’s so delicious when roasted. Definitely $7. Yikes. Regional grocery prices are nuts.

Cauliflower is a 'splurge' for me..and costs around $6-8 here where I live (no big chain stores)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2328 on: July 09, 2020, 06:05:55 PM »
Tonight: Noodles w/ginger scallion sauce, tofu & mint

---still trying to use up all the veg from our garden & CSA box and another one is coming tonight!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2329 on: July 09, 2020, 06:44:01 PM »
---still trying to use up all the veg from our garden & CSA box and another one is coming tonight!

That's going to be us this weekend! Our CSA farm already warned about an excess of zucchini in today's Facebook post.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2330 on: July 10, 2020, 02:27:12 AM »
Leftover chicken, leek and mushroom pasta, and a decent eating apple for dessert.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2331 on: July 10, 2020, 05:09:38 AM »
Lamb chops fried, our new favourite: Brussels sprouts with garlic, mashed spud and snow peas.  And red wine (from a cask)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2332 on: July 10, 2020, 05:03:08 PM »

That's going to be us this weekend! Our CSA farm already warned about an excess of zucchini in today's Facebook post.

Mmmm...zucchini!
Here's one of Amy Chaplin's dressing using zucchini as the base, in case you have surplus to use up.
 https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/golden-citrus-zucchini-dressing

I tossed a bunch of bok choy into the meal last night so that used up most of it, and tonight will be tomato-y pizza w/ pepperoni, garlic scapes and arugula :)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2333 on: July 11, 2020, 11:44:53 AM »
The heat finally broke after more than a week in the mid-90s F (yes I know that other places are hotter but 1. it was also very humid and 2. we don’t have central AC). I’m making homemade pizza! I’ll make sauce from the tomatoes in our Hungry Harvest box and fresh basil from the herb garden, and serve a side salad to use the chard from the CSA share.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2334 on: July 11, 2020, 12:30:51 PM »

Cauliflower is a 'splurge' for me..and costs around $6-8 here where I live (no big chain stores)

Hee, now I'm going to check cauliflower prices at every store I visit (typically four, spread across two months or so). I potentially can use the "cauliflower index" as a metric for produce prices at different places! (Although I'm still going to lean toward the local grocer that supports local farms -- if I buy what they have on sale that's typically what's in season, and I get to support local farmers, too.)

And no I don't guy them -- even when cauliflower is on my list I look at those $7 heads and start figuring out what I'm going to substitute.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2335 on: July 11, 2020, 12:36:07 PM »
Zucchini black bean quesadillas

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2336 on: July 11, 2020, 02:31:56 PM »
Sweet Italian turkey sausages, with green beans and my first attempt at homemade mac and cheese.  I feel like I didn't quite plan well enough when I picked up the sausage on sale at the store, but I'm sure it will be a fine meal.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2337 on: July 11, 2020, 05:43:25 PM »
I bought the big package of riced cauliflower from Costco so was looking for recipes.  I made fried rice cauliflower and it was surprisingly good  (riced cauli, soy sauce, frozen veg, onion, garlic, eggs, and a little oil). 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2338 on: July 11, 2020, 06:15:40 PM »
I went shopping this morning and spotted a nice ribeye in the marked down meat and decided that is what I wanted for dinner.  I think I will do a reverse sear on it, then it will be sliced over homegrown lettuce with a generous amount of gorgonzola.  Actually, it's a big steak, so that might be tomorrow's dinner as well.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2339 on: July 12, 2020, 12:23:38 PM »
Probably asian noodle salad with ground pork and loads of fresh herbs and veggies. Perhaps there will be leftovers? (probably not -- it's pretty good.)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2340 on: July 12, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »
Last night we did breakfast for dinner and had a "Bombay Frittata" - garam masala and other spices, plus scallions and onions with a dozen eggs, heated briefly on stove top then popped in the oven with feta for 20+ minutes.  It was the easiest thing both to make and to clean up after!

Served with asparagus roasted with paremsan and then a sprinkle of lemon juice before serving.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2341 on: July 12, 2020, 12:41:24 PM »
We're trying a new pasta suggestion - fettucine with a sauce made from ricotta, a handful of mint, a shallot and some lemon juice and EVOO.  S&P + crushed red pepper as well.  So easy, it could make it into our rotation, especially since we have unending supplies of mint in our garden.

Sounds awesome - will give this pasta sauce a try as soon as I have a stove again.
No stove no oven - hopefully, the replacement will arrive by the end of the month.

Tonight will be leftover take out, Schnitzel and potato salad and a fresh greens salad, plus watermelon.
Tomorrow will be Thai Coconut Chicken precooked from Aldi with extra pineapple rings and juice from a can and fresh peppers from the garden and Ginger Coconut Rice with extra coconut flakes-leftover from X-mas baking:).

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2342 on: July 12, 2020, 03:15:56 PM »

Sounds awesome - will give this pasta sauce a try as soon as I have a stove again.
No stove no oven - hopefully, the replacement will arrive by the end of the month.

It was pretty good, but here's what I learned.  You mix the ricotta and stuff all up together and then just toss with the al dente pasta (and perhaps a bit of pasta water to loosen it up) and then eat immediately.  We made 4 servings, so a few nights later reheated the pasta with the ricotta "sauce" already on it.  That was significantly less desirable.  It was quite dry (and less flavorful).  We added more EVOO and lemon juice, but still quite dry.  So I think best to only mix as much pasta with sauce as you are going to eat that evening, and even if you cook/prepare more servings of pasta and sauce, leave them separate, reheat the pasta alone and maybe let the ricotta sauce come to room temp then mix together for leftovers.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2343 on: July 13, 2020, 12:29:22 PM »
We have no stove or oven (kitchen remodel), so things are pretty "creative" here. We're having tacos (prepped & cooked ground beef taco meat from the freezer, will just reheat in the microwave).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2344 on: July 13, 2020, 06:15:41 PM »
I'm roasting a spatchcocked chicken with homegrown carrots underneath it.  Chicken is rubbed with lots of garlic sauce and tarragon, then adorned with thin lemon slices and a generous showering of Aleppo pepper.  On the side, jicama pickleback slaw with some daikon, snow peas, red pepper, carrot and shredded cabbage thrown in for color and texture.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2345 on: July 13, 2020, 06:17:20 PM »
Grilled chicken thighs that were marinated in basil-balsamic vinaigrette, and zucchini noodles sautéed in homemade tomato-basil sauce.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2346 on: July 13, 2020, 06:19:43 PM »
All of these grilled dinners sound yum. Tonight was homemade pizza here. It's so hard not to eat it all!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2347 on: July 13, 2020, 08:16:06 PM »
I'm roasting a spatchcocked chicken with homegrown carrots underneath it.  Chicken is rubbed with lots of garlic sauce and tarragon, then adorned with thin lemon slices and a generous showering of Aleppo pepper.  On the side, jicama pickleback slaw with some daikon, snow peas, red pepper, carrot and shredded cabbage thrown in for color and texture.

I'll be over in just a few, OK?  Because that sounds amazing!

We had fast-n-dirty nicoise salad: potatoes and green beans, cooked and sliced and dressed with a basil/parsley vinaigrette, topped with anchovies (from a can), random olives, capers, tomatoes that I sliced and dressed with olive oil, salt, and aleppo peppers so they could deepen their flavor a bit, and two cans of tuna. And hard-boiled eggs that I remembered to throw into the pot with the potatoes, and put a timer on, so I only got one pot dirty from all of this.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2348 on: July 14, 2020, 06:40:33 AM »
I think tonight will be grilled or baked fish and big salads.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2349 on: July 14, 2020, 07:23:42 AM »
I made a curried chickpea shepard's pie last night.  I suspect that will be leftovers for the next day or so since curry is never a hit with the rest of the family.  I guess they'll have frozen pizza or something.