Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950099 times)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2250 on: June 25, 2020, 08:11:58 PM »
Leftover ribs and butternut squash.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2251 on: June 25, 2020, 08:55:53 PM »
We just starting receiving our CSA box and our garden is also producing so made spring rolls using collards greens, vermicelli, radish, mint, basil, pea shoots, chive blossoms, cucumber & marinated tofu w/ spicy peanut sauce.
VERY good.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2252 on: June 26, 2020, 06:03:03 AM »
Budget bytes one pot chicken penne with pesto
  Added a few extra pine nuts, and pan fried Brussels Sprouts with bacon and butter as a side.

Yum.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2253 on: June 26, 2020, 06:26:40 AM »
Take out pizza and tequila

ETA:  Oops, just realized this doesn't count because I'm not making anything.  Maybe I'll throw a side salad together from the garden. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 06:29:41 AM by Trifele »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2254 on: June 26, 2020, 06:51:43 AM »
Made Pad Thai last night. I've been working on this dish forever and it's still not as good as the restaurant version, but this time was closer. Still delicious and a nice change from Tacos.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2255 on: June 26, 2020, 06:55:40 AM »
Take out pizza and tequila

ETA:  Oops, just realized this doesn't count because I'm not making anything.  Maybe I'll throw a side salad together from the garden.

Haha, oops! Mine last night doesn’t count either. But hey, I did make a visit to the Five Guys website.

Tonight is going to be something with spinach salad because we have a decent amount of spinach to use before it wilts or mushes out. Maybe a tuna and bean salad in vinaigrette dressing, served over spinach.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2256 on: June 26, 2020, 09:36:38 AM »
Last night: grilled fava beans, grilled brats, potatoes&greens with loads of garlic (this takes a while, because I cook the potato cubes in a giant skillet until they're fairly browned, then add garlic and greens)

Tonight: probably stir fry. I got snow peas from the same farmstand as the fava beans.

The grilled favas were pretty good, but could've bene more cooked.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2257 on: June 26, 2020, 11:42:10 AM »
Carnitas salads

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2258 on: June 26, 2020, 08:47:01 PM »
Roasted radish salad w/ pesto--this time of year always becomes a fun & stressful game of eating up the abundance of greens & produce from the garden :)

https://www.loveandlemons.com/radish-salad/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:50:15 PM by Serendip »

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2259 on: June 27, 2020, 03:38:39 PM »
Grilling salmon burgers and light cucumber salad (a giant 50 cent aldi's cucumber, dill weed, onion, garlic salt, pepper, vinegar).   Whole meal is a little over $1 a serving. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2260 on: June 27, 2020, 03:54:52 PM »
Homemade spaghetti sauce with Italian sausage (from the freezer) and pasta. We have lots of salad greens from our CSA share and Hungry Harvest, so we'll probably also have side salads.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2261 on: June 27, 2020, 05:54:21 PM »
Paprika chicken with chickpeas (https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/paprika_chicken_with_chickpeas/) - new recipe and it’s a keeper.  Served with roasted broccoli and rice.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2262 on: June 27, 2020, 06:04:25 PM »
Paprika chicken with chickpeas (https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/paprika_chicken_with_chickpeas/) - new recipe and it’s a keeper.  Served with roasted broccoli and rice.

This looks delicious! We love smoked paprika.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2263 on: June 27, 2020, 08:17:09 PM »
Stirfry noodles w/ pak choi, mushrooms and heaps of garlic & ginger. Yum.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2264 on: June 27, 2020, 09:55:26 PM »

This looks delicious! We love smoked paprika.
I was lucky to find it at the store this week - they were out in every brand a few weeks ago.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2265 on: June 28, 2020, 06:57:15 AM »
Ate out for the first time in months.  It is my daughter's 21st birthday in a months time, but she will be in quarantine in another state by then.  So we took her out for dinner to sky high at Mt Dandenong, with a fantastic view and had a slightly expensive meal, but worth every cent.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2266 on: June 28, 2020, 09:14:29 AM »
Ate out for the first time in months.  It is my daughter's 21st birthday in a months time, but she will be in quarantine in another state by then.  So we took her out for dinner to sky high at Mt Dandenong, with a fantastic view and had a slightly expensive meal, but worth every cent.

That sounds lovely!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2267 on: June 28, 2020, 09:29:58 AM »
I think we're having sockeye salmon, salad & rice

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2268 on: June 28, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »
This rainbow chard salad, grilled sausages, and roasted potatoes.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2269 on: June 28, 2020, 10:27:13 AM »
@OtherJen - that salad looks great!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2270 on: June 28, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »
@OtherJen - that salad looks great!

I just put it together and yeah, it's delicious! We have a huge pile of chard from our CSA share and I don't love cooked greens so salad it is.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2271 on: June 28, 2020, 12:00:05 PM »
There is still quite a bit of meat on the leg of lamb I cooked last weekend.  We had a cooldown overnight, and it's supposed to start raining, so it's sounding like a lamb stew is on the menu.  I even have some homegrown carrots and red potatoes to add to the pot.

Farmgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #2272 on: June 28, 2020, 12:18:58 PM »
Copycat Panera Broccoli and Cheddar soup.  Made enough for three frozen base soups too.  Broccoli from the garden.
Also pickled some beets from the garden too.  Some for the neighbor and some for us.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2273 on: June 28, 2020, 05:23:58 PM »
Orzo salad (dill, coriander & zucchini) along w/ italian sausages.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2274 on: June 28, 2020, 08:09:32 PM »
Black bean salad (with corn, chopped red peppers, diced avocados, chopped green pepper and some chopped jalapinos, pickled red onions) with chipotle/lime dressing (lots of it) with corn tortillas and corn chips.  One of my favorites, although MrInCO doesn't much love it.

Last night we had a summer salad he does love, which is a wild rice blend, shredded chicken, steamed green veg (in this case sliced up snow peas) and diced very ripe cantaloupe. Lime/cumin dressing on that one.

It's summer here, in case that wasn't obvious...

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #2275 on: June 29, 2020, 05:43:27 AM »
Spaghetti and meatballs with a side of lazy eggplant Parmesan (roasted eggplant slices, sauce, basil, mozzarella) and salad

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #2276 on: June 29, 2020, 04:17:17 PM »
Poor man's stroganoff using leftover meatloaf chopped up in sauce over egg noodles. side of fresh green beans.

Now i gotta try this!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2277 on: June 29, 2020, 05:07:41 PM »
Husband had a shit day at work, I've had a very long day, and a local Mexican restaurant just closed its dine-in service because too many assholes threw tantrums and abused the staff because of the mask rule.

So looks like we're getting carry-out from the Mexican restaurant, assuming we can get an order in. This is a nearly 60-year old, much beloved local institution and people are really angry that the owners and their staff were put in this position, so they might be at capacity with carry-out orders.

Edit: I couldn't get through on the phone. Husband had said something about pizza, which works because I don't have to cook it (Buddy's makes a decent gluten-free Detroit-style pizza-yay!). We have loads of salad greens to go with it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 06:12:26 PM by OtherJen »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2278 on: June 29, 2020, 08:45:24 PM »
pivoted to make salmon cakes, a couscous salad (lots of veg, cumin-lime-curry vinaigrette, gold raisins, cashews) and a chopped salad.

Tomorrow we're having this: https://smittenkitchen.com/2020/06/smashed-potatoes-with-sweet-corn-relish/  I made the relish over the weekend.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2279 on: June 30, 2020, 10:50:28 AM »
Green Curry w/ baked tofu & extra greens

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2280 on: June 30, 2020, 11:21:08 AM »
Grilled chicken. We have a surplus of bell and cubanelle peppers, so I might slice up those and onions, season everything with fajita spices, and grill them in foil packets. Let's see if I can work up the wherewithal to make a batch of tortillas.

Edit: I worked until 7 and did not make tortillas. I did, however, make brown rice, doctored up a can of black beans, and opened a jar of guacamole salsa, so we made burrito bowls a la Qdoba.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:07:42 PM by OtherJen »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2281 on: June 30, 2020, 11:47:18 AM »
More sockeye salmon (husband) & I'll have chicken pineapple/jalapeno sausages over a salad.

Farmgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #2282 on: June 30, 2020, 12:36:19 PM »
Hotdogs on the grill and baked beans on the side

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2283 on: June 30, 2020, 06:35:03 PM »
Steak, roasted Brussels sprouts, and sweet potatoes.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2284 on: June 30, 2020, 08:35:26 PM »
pivoted to make salmon cakes, a couscous salad (lots of veg, cumin-lime-curry vinaigrette, gold raisins, cashews) and a chopped salad.

Tomorrow we're having this: https://smittenkitchen.com/2020/06/smashed-potatoes-with-sweet-corn-relish/  I made the relish over the weekend.

Returning to say it was ... OK. I think I failed on the potatoes (they weren't cooked enough to smash and not crumble) so I sliced them and fried them. The relish was delicious, and we had burgers with it, because I figured (correctly) that even about 2X the recipe wasn't going to be enough. With the burgers, it was about right. Sort of a pain, though.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2285 on: June 30, 2020, 11:10:40 PM »
Busy day today, so I popped a couple chicken breasts in the InstantPot with a pint of chile verde sauce I canned last summer.  We had refried beans and air fried broccoli on the side, with some sour cream, olives and green onions.  Quite yummy for the low effort involved.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2286 on: July 01, 2020, 11:46:29 AM »

Returning to say it was ... OK. I think I failed on the potatoes (they weren't cooked enough to smash and not crumble) so I sliced them and fried them. The relish was delicious, and we had burgers with it, because I figured (correctly) that even about 2X the recipe wasn't going to be enough. With the burgers, it was about right. Sort of a pain, though.

I feel like smashed potatoes take me a good while--first to boil them long enough, then to properly roast. Sounds like you came up with a good option B..

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2287 on: July 01, 2020, 11:50:59 AM »
Risotto w/ greens & bacon tonight.

The farm from which we receive a garden box offers us a complimentary subscription to a recipe site specifically tailored for these types of programs.
(this one is https://www.cookwithwhatyouhave.com and I believe anyone can try a month for free..)

Heaps of recipes that will use the piles of swiss chard, kohlrabi or whatever you might have to use up. I've made three different dishes so far and they've all been excellent..
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:54:55 AM by Serendip »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2288 on: July 01, 2020, 11:54:27 AM »
Stir-fry to use up leftover chicken, a decent amount of bok choi and scallions from the CSA share, and mushrooms and peppers from Hungry Harvest. Plus, husband can cook it outside in his wok and it won’t heat up the house.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2289 on: July 01, 2020, 04:32:06 PM »
Pasta salad, with cauliflower, marinated artichoke hearts, mozzarella balls, probably tiny cubes of salami, and whatever other vegetables I can scrounge up. with a parsley and basil vinaigrette, because my garden is currently deep in parsley.

How did we run out of fruit in only a week? Looks like I'm grocery shopping again tomorrow (darn it!) mostly to acquire a bunch of fruit. Fortunately, both watermelons and cantaloupes are on sale at our local small grocer.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2290 on: July 02, 2020, 12:42:10 PM »
We're having grilled chicken in a yogurt marinade & will put it on Caesar salads. Reasonably light, yummy, and diners of all types at my table will eat it.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2291 on: July 02, 2020, 08:48:03 PM »
Pizza w/ an olive/jalapeno pesto sauce, pepperoni, mozza & arugula.
So good.
So spicy.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2292 on: July 03, 2020, 08:39:40 PM »
nicoise salad (kinda) with canned tuna. subbed Kalamata olives for nicoise olives (because that was what we had) and asparagus for the green beans (ditto). Delicious!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2293 on: July 04, 2020, 10:25:23 AM »
Smoked pork roast, marinated kale salad, and baked beans, with margaritas and/or paloma cocktails.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2294 on: July 04, 2020, 01:45:59 PM »
I'm making a version of this crispy tofu with blistered snap peas since I have a good harvest of snap peas and some tofu already marinating.  Instead of cashews and coconut milk, I'm thinking more of a peanut sauce.  It will be served over zucchini noodles because the zucchini onslaught is officially underway. 

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #2295 on: July 04, 2020, 02:06:18 PM »
Veggie coconut curry served with quinoa and salmon

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2296 on: July 04, 2020, 02:46:28 PM »
I'm making a version of this crispy tofu with blistered snap peas since I have a good harvest of snap peas and some tofu already marinating.  Instead of cashews and coconut milk, I'm thinking more of a peanut sauce.  It will be served over zucchini noodles because the zucchini onslaught is officially underway.

Yum! All of this sounds good.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2297 on: July 04, 2020, 06:27:28 PM »
Hamburgers (but not grilled because I don’t grill) with caramelized onions.  BF brought chips and dip because I didn’t really plan for sides, and I cut up some carrots to get more veggies in.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2298 on: July 04, 2020, 08:31:33 PM »
Bacon cheeseburgers, rosemary potatoes, and squash casserole with squash from the garden. Key lime pie for dessert.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2299 on: July 04, 2020, 10:42:38 PM »
Potato and spinach soup--a little chicken stock and couple cups of milk, onions, jalapeño, garlic, s&p. Hit the spot.