Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950086 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2100 on: May 27, 2020, 05:38:57 PM »
Found 5 pound bags of Dole Pineapple Chunks for $1.50 each at Grocery Outlet today. Who cares what's for dinner, we're trying Dole Whips for dessert! Going to make an ice cream version and a frozen yogurt version. Actually, I have leftover chicken breasts and couscous patties, so they'll probably top a salad, so we'll have plenty of room for dessert. If they're good, I may have to go back for more pineapple first thing in the morning. At that price, they won't last long.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2101 on: May 27, 2020, 05:53:31 PM »
Had basil to use, and green beans that were on the verge, and I bought potatoes at Costco (which means we have WAY TOO MANY POTATOES) - so green beans with potatoes and pesto. And I wanted bok choy, so made a version of sausage and peppers with tomatoes and some baby bok choy in there. Kids didn't eat the bok choy. More for me. My evil plan worked. :)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2102 on: May 27, 2020, 10:02:21 PM »
We also had pasta Alla vodka. We threw in oregano and sage offered by our neighbor from her garden, since we forgot to buy basil. I wanted just the sage, but DH was cooking so he made the call. I'm not sure I could tell the difference though I'd love to do an official side by side taste test.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #2103 on: May 28, 2020, 08:01:06 AM »
Whiting with a sauce (Old Bay, lemon, mayo, Parmesan, garlic powder, based off this recipe: https://kalynskitchen.com/easy-low-carb-baked-mayo-parmesan-fish/), roasted zucchini, green beans with garlic, and baked white/sweet potatoes. Very good, a nice change of pace!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2104 on: May 28, 2020, 12:16:42 PM »
Brussel sprouts + hot dogs or burgers. And salad

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2105 on: May 28, 2020, 03:59:24 PM »
I've seen "Egg Roll in a Bowl" so many times here, I'm trying it.  Serving with broccoli.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2106 on: May 28, 2020, 04:01:51 PM »
I'm not the only one not making burgers tonight, apparently. It's supposedly international burger day. In keeping with the lack of sense of time of this pandemic, we're doing burgers tomorrow. Tonight DD (whose cooking day it is) is doing tacos.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2107 on: May 28, 2020, 04:41:06 PM »
I'm also not making burgers. We're having black beans and rice, with cheese and salsa.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2108 on: May 28, 2020, 08:55:15 PM »
The couscous cakes are in our regular rotation. Easy and tasty. The first meal DH cooked for me when he invited me over for our 4th or 5th date.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/feta-green-onion-couscous-cakes-over-tomato-olive-salad
Made this again tonight, because last night we ate the ,leftover patties from the first time I made it. The patties were much meatier after chilling in the fridge for a few days. Today I made a triple batch. These are seriously going into the rotation. I just grilled a little chicken on the side for my carnivores. Thanks, @sui generis!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2109 on: May 28, 2020, 10:43:17 PM »
The couscous cakes are in our regular rotation. Easy and tasty. The first meal DH cooked for me when he invited me over for our 4th or 5th date.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/feta-green-onion-couscous-cakes-over-tomato-olive-salad
Made this again tonight, because last night we ate the ,leftover patties from the first time I made it. The patties were much meatier after chilling in the fridge for a few days. Today I made a triple batch. These are seriously going into the rotation. I just grilled a little chicken on the side for my carnivores. Thanks, @sui generis!
Glad you like them!

Tonight, we did roasted cauliflower and lentil tacos with a creamy chipotle suace.  I like to have a variety of taco recipes to rotate through - black beans (with salsa, sour cream and jack cheese); fish tacos (fried, with creamy chipotle sauce and pico de gallo); and mashed sweet potato with kidney bean mix (with sour cream and cheddar cheese).  Always up for learning a new type of veggie taco...maybe there's something out there with pinto beans or like great northern beans or something?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2110 on: May 29, 2020, 06:10:12 AM »
After much bitching about what I cook for dinner and there being no snacks in the house and never wanting to eat anything we have in the house, I have put my husband and son in charge of meal planning and grocery shopping for the next two weeks.    They already think that the $150 I am giving them as a budget is way more than they are going to need.  This is going to be interesting.  At least the little one might get a Cub Scout badge out of the deal.
Looking forward to these progress reports!

It has not gone well.  They've been eating ham sandwiches chicken nuggets.  I've been eating large batches of red beans and rice (I'm okay with that).  The kiddo has asked three times when I'm going to the grocery store and has been very unhappy with the answer "the usual day." 

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2111 on: May 29, 2020, 06:22:40 AM »
After much bitching about what I cook for dinner and there being no snacks in the house and never wanting to eat anything we have in the house, I have put my husband and son in charge of meal planning and grocery shopping for the next two weeks.    They already think that the $150 I am giving them as a budget is way more than they are going to need.  This is going to be interesting.  At least the little one might get a Cub Scout badge out of the deal.
Looking forward to these progress reports!

It has not gone well.  They've been eating ham sandwiches chicken nuggets.  I've been eating large batches of red beans and rice (I'm okay with that).  The kiddo has asked three times when I'm going to the grocery store and has been very unhappy with the answer "the usual day."

Hold strong. That sounds like it's going perfectly well for getting them to appreciate what you do!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2112 on: May 29, 2020, 09:24:10 AM »

Glad you like them!

Tonight, we did roasted cauliflower and lentil tacos with a creamy chipotle suace.  I like to have a variety of taco recipes to rotate through - black beans (with salsa, sour cream and jack cheese); fish tacos (fried, with creamy chipotle sauce and pico de gallo); and mashed sweet potato with kidney bean mix (with sour cream and cheddar cheese).  Always up for learning a new type of veggie taco...maybe there's something out there with pinto beans or like great northern beans or something?
Here's a go-to I've recently adopted. I do an IP batch of brown rice, one of black rice and one of whole black beans. When cooled, I mix the three together, along with a can or bag of corn, plus any kind of salsa. If I have scallions and/or cilantro to use up, I chop and add to the mix. Then I freeze it in 2-cup portions. This makes a great base for tacos, burritos, nacho bowls, quesadillas, etc. I scored the Hinode Black Rice at the 99 Cents Only Store. When it's gone, I'll use some other long grain rice. Recently, I had some leftover French black lentils and tossed them into a batch, with pleasing results. Surely you could use pinto beans with similar results. Oh, and leftover quinoa works well too. I did try cooking 2 rices and quinoa together in one batch, but it was way too mushy. (It did make a decent vegan patty when grilled, so not a complete loss.)

Typically, I make big batches of each item and keep some aside from The Big Mix. I'll puree and freeze the rest of the black beans and freeze them separately and do the same with each type of rice. It's satisfying to have the basis for so many meals stacked neatly in the freezer, especially during a heat wave like we're having this week.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2113 on: May 29, 2020, 10:51:33 AM »
We're having cauliflower pizza & pepperoni pizza, respectively

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2114 on: May 29, 2020, 11:39:26 AM »
@Dicey that sounds awesome. Love the idea of prepping a lot of "base" in the freezer - endlessly customizable too. Yum. Thanks for the idea.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2115 on: May 30, 2020, 02:57:44 PM »
Baked salmon for the keto eater, and pasta & meatballs for the rest of our crew

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2116 on: May 31, 2020, 05:34:10 PM »
Asparagus, asparagus. Put us on your table.

Asparagus, asparagus. We'll make you feel more able.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2117 on: May 31, 2020, 06:24:51 PM »
We had dinner with my parents on their patio. They used it as an excuse to grill ribeye steaks (with potatoes and asparagus). I made a lime cheesecake for dessert. Oof. I won’t need to eat again until lunch tomorrow.

Tomorrow is going to be a vegetarian meal.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2118 on: May 31, 2020, 08:54:38 PM »
We had dinner with my parents on their patio. They used it as an excuse to grill ribeye steaks (with potatoes and asparagus). I made a lime cheesecake for dessert. Oof. I won’t need to eat again until lunch tomorrow.

Tomorrow is going to be a vegetarian meal.

Yum!

We had a baked dish of gigantic beans in a tomato sauce with feta crumbled on top. It's served with a wonderful parsley/lemon sauce, and is just beautiful, and delicious. Salad, and homemade baguettes (because, WTF, I had bread dough ripening in the fridge).

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2119 on: May 31, 2020, 09:02:48 PM »
We had ramen with chicken stock, pork tenderloin, green beans, carrot, and onion. Absurdly good. I don't know how it can be that beef filet mignon is megabucks but pork tenderloin is $3.99/lb.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2120 on: June 01, 2020, 04:18:26 AM »
Creamy chicken and bacon pasta sauce with slightly too underdone fettuccine. Some broccoli florets in with it and a few cherry tomatoes on top. I bought a Costco rotisserie chicken yesterday so I'm thinking of creative ways to use it up.

Nice cosy dish for a chilly Monday night. The wine used in the pasta sauce wasn't chilled yet so I had beer instead.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 04:22:04 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #2121 on: June 01, 2020, 06:51:56 AM »
We had pistachio crusted lamb, salad, and baked potatoes. The lamb was inherited from a neighbor who had to return to Canada when the covid situation emerged. Honestly, it was good, but lamb rack is totally wasted on me. I like lamb curry and lamb meatballs but rack of lamb would never be worth full price for me.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2122 on: June 03, 2020, 11:41:10 PM »
Had mediocre takeout. Unfortunate since it's my birthday. But, we made this awesome guava cake and I highly recommend. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020157-hawaiian-guava-cake

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2123 on: June 04, 2020, 12:56:51 AM »
Had mediocre takeout. Unfortunate since it's my birthday. But, we made this awesome guava cake and I highly recommend. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020157-hawaiian-guava-cake
Happy birthday! Good thing we're in the same time zone or I'd have missed it completely.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2124 on: June 04, 2020, 06:23:33 AM »
Last night had stuffed peppers cooked in my crock pot. They came out fantastic and I used the crock pot liners so was able to pick up the whole liner and transfer to a container. Popped on the lid and CP was clean. Plus, easy clean up of leftovers!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2125 on: June 04, 2020, 10:31:39 AM »
Here's a go-to I've recently adopted. I do an IP batch of brown rice, one of black rice and one of whole black beans. When cooled, I mix the three together, along with a can or bag of corn, plus any kind of salsa. If I have scallions and/or cilantro to use up, I chop and add to the mix. Then I freeze it in 2-cup portions. This makes a great base for tacos, burritos, nacho bowls, quesadillas, etc. I scored the Hinode Black Rice at the 99 Cents Only Store. When it's gone, I'll use some other long grain rice. Recently, I had some leftover French black lentils and tossed them into a batch, with pleasing results. Surely you could use pinto beans with similar results. Oh, and leftover quinoa works well too. I did try cooking 2 rices and quinoa together in one batch, but it was way too mushy. (It did make a decent vegan patty when grilled, so not a complete loss.)

Typically, I make big batches of each item and keep some aside from The Big Mix. I'll puree and freeze the rest of the black beans and freeze them separately and do the same with each type of rice. It's satisfying to have the basis for so many meals stacked neatly in the freezer, especially during a heat wave like we're having this week.
This is a great idea.  In fact, today, I am defrosting something similar that I stuck in the freezer two months ago. 

The problem we have is that teenager doesn't like rice.  I mean, he used to like rice, but now he complains that it gets stuck in his braces.  Last time I made rice, I overcooked it into a gummy mess.  He didn't complain as much.  Luckily, in another month the braces will be gone, but I'm not sure if he'll still be off rice.

One of my favorite easy mid-week meals that we have about monthly is Thai red curry chicken.  I bought a massive plastic container from Amazon of Thai curry paste.  So, curry paste, coconut milk, brown sugar, vegetables and ... yes ... a can of chicken breast from Costco.  This dinner is especially delicious on white rice with a little sriracha and "everything but the bagel" seasoning.

Well, yesterday I was thinking of trying it with brown rice Pad Thai noodles instead.  I ordered some from Amazon and accidentally got a 3rd box (must have been in my cart and I didn't know it).  Turns out, back of the box has that exact recipe...so I didn't even have to make it, hubby did.  Delicious, but we will need to double it.  Never enough leftovers.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2126 on: June 04, 2020, 05:23:16 PM »
The sage in our garden is abundant so will be making a Sage & Bacon Pasta topped with sage flowers (I just discovered they are edible and delicious..plus lovely).
It was going to be a veggie dish tonight but my SO requested bacon :)

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020719-pasta-with-cauliflower-bacon-and-sage

**had no bacon and he didn't want to go to the store so a modified version of this happened instead
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/5704-pasta-with-butter-sage-and-parmesan
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 07:26:51 PM by Serendip »

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #2127 on: June 04, 2020, 05:40:10 PM »
The last piece of veggie lasagna from the freezer and some thawed berry mix.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2128 on: June 04, 2020, 09:17:24 PM »
Nothing planned, so I made tacos from things in the fridge - black beans, shredded cabbage, sautéed onions and mushrooms, raw onions, and a lot of cilantro.

Yesterday - 6-feet-apart picnic with friends - I bought a giant pretzel from a nearby brewery for dinner.  My first dining out purchase since March 15!

Tuesday - chicken tacos, black beans, roasted sweet potato.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2129 on: June 05, 2020, 08:37:38 AM »
Vegetarian pasta salad with artichoke hearts, olives, cherry tomatoes, and a shallot with dressing.

I also have everything but the Kalmata olives for a Greek pasta salad with feta, cucumber, tomato, and onion. Yum!

Trying to eat a lot less meat and I haven’t really missed it much.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 08:44:54 AM by lexde »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2130 on: June 05, 2020, 09:41:55 AM »
It's supposed to hit 95 today, then storms are rolling in and the high will be 40 degrees cooler by Sunday.

So today I'm planning a cold platter of steamed new potatoes, asparagus, tuna salad, olives, pickles, leftover BBQ chicken, and whatever else seems appropriate to add to it.

Tomorrow I'm going to make a big pot of green gumbo with andouille sausage, charred leeks, lots of greens from the garden, and a batch of ricotta-cheddar muffins. 

Homemade chocolate chip cookies may or may not occur this weekend as well.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2131 on: June 05, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »
We are also looking at mostly hot weather for the foreseeable future, except maybe tomorrow.

Tonight: Nicoise salad, mostly without weird substitutions (I use this idea as a base for salads all summer long, but for this one I noticed tuna was on sale...)

Tomorrow: Got me, depends on the weather. Probably neither potatoes nor pasta, since the next 10 days menu is heavy on both of those things. I may try the stuck-pot rice and lentils thing again, as I didn't get much of a crust on it last time, probably because I was rushing.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2132 on: June 05, 2020, 01:06:57 PM »
I'm on my own tonight and it's hot and humid, so probably a sandwich and leftover coleslaw.

It's supposed to cool down a bit over the weekend. I might try mujadara tomorrow and make tortillas and Mexican picadillo for tacos on Sunday.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2133 on: June 05, 2020, 05:19:28 PM »
Swapped lentils for pasta in the salad, happy camper!

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2134 on: June 06, 2020, 07:48:14 PM »
Garlic butter shrimp (https://damndelicious.net/2014/04/11/garlic-butter-shrimp/) served over bow tie pasta, with roasted eggplant and roasted green beans.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2136 on: June 06, 2020, 08:07:25 PM »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2137 on: June 06, 2020, 08:41:12 PM »
Oh, it's lentils night!

I'm making this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/03/08/this-lentil-soup-is-so-good-one-nurse-has-eaten-it-for-lunch-every-workday-for-17-years/

And this: https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/wednesday-baking-cheap-cheap-breadfrench-bread/

It's the first time I've ever made French Bread. Fingers crossed.
Have you made the soup before? Good luck with the bread.
First time for both. The soup was amazingly good and there are plenty of leftovers. I suspect it'll be even better in a day or two. I didn't have any butternut squash, but I had a few sweet potatoes, which seemed to work pretty well. They're much easier to peel than butternut squash and probably cheaper, for the win. I also put a whole 16 oz bag of frozen spinach in, because I didn't want to bother with figuring out how to come up with 10 ounces. Too messy. It will definitely be added to the rotation.

And bread, what bread? Alas, it was gone in a flash. The whole loaf. Don't know how it happened :-)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2138 on: June 07, 2020, 06:51:27 AM »
We had an abundance of fresh salad greens and radishes from the CSA and an excess of fresh basil from husband’s herb garden. For yesterday’s dinner, I made a lemon-basil vinaigrette, which I brushed on salmon fillets before roasting and mixed into a very colorful salad. Perfect summer food.

It’s supposed to be a bit cool today so I haven’t decided whether to try the mujadara or go ahead with the planned picadillo and tortillas. I have some beautiful fresh oregano from the CSA share that could definitely go in the latter.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2139 on: June 07, 2020, 06:55:11 AM »
Oh, it's lentils night!

I'm making this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/03/08/this-lentil-soup-is-so-good-one-nurse-has-eaten-it-for-lunch-every-workday-for-17-years/

And this: https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/wednesday-baking-cheap-cheap-breadfrench-bread/

It's the first time I've ever made French Bread. Fingers crossed.
Have you made the soup before? Good luck with the bread.
First time for both. The soup was amazingly good and there are plenty of leftovers. I suspect it'll be even better in a day or two. I didn't have any butternut squash, but I had a few sweet potatoes, which seemed to work pretty well. They're much easier to peel than butternut squash and probably cheaper, for the win. I also put a whole 16 oz bag of frozen spinach in, because I didn't want to bother with figuring out how to come up with 10 ounces. Too messy. It will definitely be added to the rotation.

And bread, what bread? Alas, it was gone in a flash. The whole loaf. Don't know how it happened :-)

Thank you for sharing this soup recipe! It looks delicious and I’m glad it lived up to its reputation. :-)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2140 on: June 07, 2020, 08:51:59 AM »
We are having egg roll in a bowl, and I need to find a way to use up the parsley that's taken over the garden. I'm probably going to make a big batch of parsley pesto & stick it in the freezer.

Our mint got knocked over yesterday, when we had a tree trimming service over, so we'll be "forced" to use it up today. I'm thinking mojitos. It will be hard, but waste not, want not. I'll also likely dry the rest.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2141 on: June 07, 2020, 10:03:31 AM »
Tonight is our lentil soup night!  This recipe has red lentils, which I haven't used in a while.  It's been a couple of years since I made this recipe, but I liked it and glad I dug it up...we need something different: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/curried-lentil-tomato-and-coconut-soup

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2142 on: June 07, 2020, 12:27:42 PM »
Making a chickpea, kale, goat cheese, phyllo pie.
Using up some things we have and combining two recipes to make it happen :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2143 on: June 07, 2020, 01:35:55 PM »
Cold Greek pasta salad with cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and feta cheese.  Olive oil and lemon juice dressing

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2144 on: June 07, 2020, 04:30:08 PM »
Last night we decided to support a local restaurant, so we ordered a pizza for takeout (first time getting so much as a coffee "out" since probably early March).

So today was green gumbo day.  I heavily charred a few leeks and an orange and red bell pepper, which gave it a nice smoky flavor.  Added a pack of diced ham from the freezer and about a pound of house-made andouille sausage from our local co-op.  Then the green part was a ton of collards, and lacinato kale from the garden plus some Italian parsley, a healthy dose of garlic and half a bag of frozen okra.  Just ate a bowl and it is delicious along with the ricotta cheddar biscuits  Glad it's a big batch!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2145 on: June 07, 2020, 09:14:54 PM »
We are having egg roll in a bowl, and I need to find a way to use up the parsley that's taken over the garden. I'm probably going to make a big batch of parsley pesto & stick it in the freezer.

Our mint got knocked over yesterday, when we had a tree trimming service over, so we'll be "forced" to use it up today. I'm thinking mojitos. It will be hard, but waste not, want not. I'll also likely dry the rest.
What does parsley taste like to you?

To me it tastes like grass clippings and I can’t fathom why anyone would put it in their food. Which makes me wonder if it is like cilantro, where it tastes different to some people.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2146 on: June 07, 2020, 09:20:25 PM »
Tonight was clearing out the fridge/freezer. Random fried rice with chicken bits and broccoli and a bag of TJ’s fried riced cauliflower.

I also made pancakes tonight for a quick and easy breakfast tomorrow. I mashed up our last banana into the batter which adds some nice sweetness. I used up the last bag of frozen cherries to make a fruit breakfast cake that should be a good snack for hungry kiddos.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #2147 on: June 08, 2020, 10:45:47 AM »
Chicken and black bean enchiladas, rice, refried beans, roasted squash, salad.

I made one green and one red, froze one for the weekend.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/snap-challenge-creamy-chicken-black-bean-enchiladas/

It was a bit unexpectedly spicy. Maybe I added extra cayenne pepper? Still a hit though.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2148 on: June 08, 2020, 10:51:23 AM »
Just harvested a bunch of Buttercrunch lettuce from our garden, boiled a few of my nephews home raised eggs, and got a couple pieces of chicken out of the freezer.   Going to do a couple big grilled chicken salads.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2149 on: June 08, 2020, 04:51:12 PM »
Ran around a bit more then usual today, so I started some chili a few hours ago, courtesy of the pressure cooker and some anisazi beans. So it'll mostly cook itself from this point on.

We'll probably have nachos, as we have corn chips and cheese and an avocado, and I'll make what we call "mexican slaw" which vaguely resembles the stuff that sometimes appears on fish tacos, i.e. shredded carrots and cabbage with a little rice vinegar. Possibly also a green salad: our lettuce needs picking and eating plus a friend sent me home with arugula this morning.