Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950085 times)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2050 on: May 15, 2020, 09:15:04 AM »
Last night: https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/04/sheet-pan-chicken-tikka/ And some roasted beets I got going ahead of the recipe, sliced and dressed with a little red wine vinegar.

Tonight: Tony's black bean salad. Tony was a graduate school classmate of mine who brought this delicious black bean, corn, and tomato salad in a really zingy lime chipotle vinaigrette  to a party. He looked a bit like Einstein (and already had two kids by grad school), and I believe he got the recipe from the Lady's Home Journal. We sub diced red pepper for the tomatoes, and add fresh avocado cubes. With it, we'll make the remaining corn tortillas from the bag of masa I'm trying to finish up. And margaritas -- I got the supplies for those last week, and we've all been waiting for the right night.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2051 on: May 15, 2020, 02:44:39 PM »
Stuffed Peppers (https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/dads_stuffed_bell_peppers/).  BF keeps mentioning them since I haven't made them in a while.  Brussels sprouts and either green beans or sweet potato on the side.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2052 on: May 15, 2020, 09:04:18 PM »
We had steak and an Asian themed salad (crispy noodles, nuts, peanut sauce). I need to brainstorm ideas for our menus this weekend. I'm in a rut, yet cooking for one picky eater, my husband who eats almost entirely keto due to food allergies, and then my other teen & I, who will eat almost anything.

I'm thinking egg roll in a bowl (with samosas, for those who can/will). I need a few other easy, reasonably kid friendly ideas.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2053 on: May 16, 2020, 04:33:27 PM »
I made a batch of corn tortillas and am pressure cooking pinquito beans with cilantro and a bone and fat from a smoked pork shoulder. I'll refry the beans with onions, garlic, peppers, and spices. I have avocado, cabbage, radishes, crumbled feta, and salsa as taco toppings.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2054 on: May 16, 2020, 08:31:10 PM »
I made a batch of corn tortillas and am pressure cooking pinquito beans with cilantro and a bone and fat from a smoked pork shoulder. I'll refry the beans with onions, garlic, peppers, and spices. I have avocado, cabbage, radishes, crumbled feta, and salsa as taco toppings.

Yum! I feel like I've finally practiced enough to be reasonably happy with my corn tortillas -- they're not as great as the fantastic tortillarilla in the next town over, but they're better then grocery store tortillas. I recently realized that wrapping them in a towel, in a bowl, is an important component of cooking them: the steam finishes them.

We had the NYTimes Allison Roman recipe for white beans, broccoli rabe and harissa. I looked at the (10 meal!) dinner menu I had sketched out, and realized this was going to be the last cool evening for a while, so the "stew-y" thing should happen tonight. Good thing it was fairly fast, since I had already-cooked white beans in the freezer. We had it with the last of a loaf of homemade bread, and I just took the next loaf out of the oven. Shout-out to my fancy thermometer, that lets me know when the inside has reached 200 degrees F! (There's an altitude adjustment in there, if you're wondering why my number is a bit low.)

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #2055 on: May 17, 2020, 06:44:01 AM »
We had chicken, cabbage, mushroom, red pepper stir fry with a peanut, hoison, lime sauce. Yum yum yum. Healthy and pretty cheap with the cabbage.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #2056 on: May 17, 2020, 09:54:26 AM »
Tonight I am venturing outside my comfort zone. I was at grocery store this morning - not a deal to be had on meat.  4 chicken breast - CDN$21!  1lb of lean ground beef - CDN$9! Instead I grabbed a small bag of green lentils. Came home and did a search on what to do with them and found recipe for Mujadara (lentils and rice with caramelized onions) that I am going to try. Wish me luck!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2057 on: May 17, 2020, 10:23:21 AM »
Last night was eggroll in a bowl, with ground beef instead of pork (couldn't find ground pork). I bumped up the hoisin sauce, and it came out very well.

Tonight is a one dish Mexican chicken rice, which is easy & the kids like. https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/one-pan-mexican-chicken-rice/

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2058 on: May 17, 2020, 10:50:36 AM »
Tonight I am venturing outside my comfort zone. I was at grocery store this morning - not a deal to be had on meat.  4 chicken breast - CDN$21!  1lb of lean ground beef - CDN$9! Instead I grabbed a small bag of green lentils. Came home and did a search on what to do with them and found recipe for Mujadara (lentils and rice with caramelized onions) that I am going to try. Wish me luck!

Yum. Mujadara is fantastic comfort food. The caramelized onions give a ton of flavor.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2059 on: May 17, 2020, 10:53:59 AM »
I need to use up a head of cauliflower, so I think I will try this Smitten Kitchen recipe: roasted cauliflower with pumpkin seeds, brown butter and lime. I don’t have pepitas, so I might try some chopped almonds or pistachios.

Not sure what to serve it with. Maybe baked salmon fillets and a spinach salad.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2060 on: May 17, 2020, 04:21:29 PM »
Turkey/ beef meatloaf, cauliflower mash, and the salad with homegrown lettuce and radishes.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #2061 on: May 17, 2020, 05:19:20 PM »
My comfort food - good ole' beans and rice. Frijoles charros and arroz rojo with a square or two of sweet and spicy cornbread.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #2062 on: May 17, 2020, 06:14:54 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache I had eggroll in a bowl just the other day! I use a tube of pork sausage, like the kind you slice into patties.
Tonight was leftover baked chicken breast, grated zucchini with parmesan, cherry tomatoes, and avocado.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2063 on: May 17, 2020, 06:39:26 PM »
@BZB - it's super tasty

BNgarden

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2064 on: May 17, 2020, 07:11:49 PM »
Baked tofu with peanut ginger sauced stirfry veg and apple and chocolate for dessert ;=}.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2065 on: May 18, 2020, 12:06:48 PM »
This week, a big batch of Cuban-style black beans and rice:

https://thelemonbowl.com/cuban-black-beans-and-rice-recipe/

I added shredded chicken.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2066 on: May 18, 2020, 12:22:40 PM »
Celery & potato soup w/ spelt and brown rice bread.
A cook friend recommended roasting chive heads from the garden to top off the soup.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #2067 on: May 18, 2020, 02:37:53 PM »

Yum. Mujadara is fantastic comfort food. The caramelized onions give a ton of flavor.

Ended up making it today. I think I did everything correct(ish) with the recipe. We really enjoyed it.  Had it with pita and humus (my first time trying humus), baba ghanoush, and yogurt on the side. It earned a "smiley face" and will go into the rotation. 

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2068 on: May 18, 2020, 10:19:49 PM »

Hummus is delicious. I can't live without it now. I use on on sandwiches instead of butter.
Ended up making it today. I think I did everything correct(ish) with the recipe. We really enjoyed it.  Had it with pita and humus (my first time trying humus), baba ghanoush, and yogurt on the side. It earned a "smiley face" and will go into the rotation.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2069 on: May 19, 2020, 08:38:55 AM »
The couscous cakes are in our regular rotation. Easy and tasty. The first meal DH cooked for me when he invited me over for our 4th or 5th date.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/feta-green-onion-couscous-cakes-over-tomato-olive-salad

Going to try these tonight with falafel, thanks for the recipe :)

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2070 on: May 19, 2020, 01:47:35 PM »
Smoking a corned beef brisket, with roasted rosemary garlic potatoes, and probably Brussels sprouts.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2071 on: May 19, 2020, 02:24:45 PM »
I bought some frozen shrimp at the store last week (perhaps the first time ever?), so I'm trying a shrimp, sweet potato, and kale skillet (https://www.primaverakitchen.com/sweet-potato-kale-and-shrimp-skillet/).  Will serve with a spinach salad on the side, and maybe some cornbread.

(eta: It was good, nice and easy.  I would not buy kale specifically to make this, but if I ended up with the ingredients again, it’s on.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:19:16 PM by NotJen »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2072 on: May 19, 2020, 03:24:46 PM »
Today is hot, so I'm planning a quinoa, mint, cucumber, radish and feta salad.
Last night: grilled pork with potato and sweet potato packets in adobo sauce, with cooked greens.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2073 on: May 19, 2020, 04:44:53 PM »
Wraps tonight.  Left over roast beef and roast pork cubed, and refried with loads of garlic, lettuce and tomatoes from the garden, capsicum and greek yoghurt wrapped in a pitta bread.  Better than a late night kebab on the way home from the pub...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2074 on: May 19, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »
We're having a chicken enchilada rice dish that was really good. I loved that it all came together in one pan. We'll top with avocado & cilantro, and serve with chips on the side, as my teen likes to scoop with the chips.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #2075 on: May 19, 2020, 07:22:43 PM »
Veggie lasagna, chock full of veggies, so no side dishes needed

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2076 on: May 19, 2020, 08:55:18 PM »
The couscous cakes are in our regular rotation. Easy and tasty. The first meal DH cooked for me when he invited me over for our 4th or 5th date.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/feta-green-onion-couscous-cakes-over-tomato-olive-salad

Oh, would love a report back on what it's like with falafel!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2077 on: May 20, 2020, 07:42:30 AM »
We're having taco slaw, which is similar to egg roll in a bowl, but with taco meat/seasonings

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2078 on: May 20, 2020, 07:55:43 AM »
After much bitching about what I cook for dinner and there being no snacks in the house and never wanting to eat anything we have in the house, I have put my husband and son in charge of meal planning and grocery shopping for the next two weeks.    They already think that the $150 I am giving them as a budget is way more than they are going to need.  This is going to be interesting.  At least the little one might get a Cub Scout badge out of the deal.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2079 on: May 20, 2020, 08:05:44 AM »
After much bitching about what I cook for dinner and there being no snacks in the house and never wanting to eat anything we have in the house, I have put my husband and son in charge of meal planning and grocery shopping for the next two weeks.    They already think that the $150 I am giving them as a budget is way more than they are going to need.  This is going to be interesting.  At least the little one might get a Cub Scout badge out of the deal.
Looking forward to these progress reports!

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2080 on: May 20, 2020, 04:23:45 PM »

Ooooh. Love it. Keep us posted!

Tonight here is celebration night - DS finishes up his final exam of his sophomore year of college. He's requested General Tso's chicken, so that's what is on the menu! (with some stir fry veggies, since today was shopping day.)

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #2081 on: May 21, 2020, 08:01:52 AM »
Last night was butter chicken with peas, roasted cauliflower, and rice. Super fast.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2082 on: May 21, 2020, 09:49:01 AM »

Oh, would love a report back on what it's like with falafel!

They worked well together--topped with a tahini & lemon dressing and a greek salad. In the reviews people seemed to have issues w/ the cakes crumbling but I used flax meal as the egg substitute and had no problem (we eat eggs, but I was curious to try it without) :)

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2083 on: May 22, 2020, 06:48:25 PM »
Chicken tikka masala (https://cafedelites.com/chicken-tikka-masala/).  Served over rice (and raw spinach!), with peas and green beans.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2084 on: May 22, 2020, 09:42:46 PM »
Last night: https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/sticky-sesame-and-sriracha-chicken-with-chopped-salad
although I got worn out near the end, and we had it without the cilantro (enough, already!). I added some rice noodles for the active teenagers among us.

Tonight: margaritas. With broccoli parmesan fritters and lentil, potato and cornichon salad, all from Smitten Kitchen. And leftover Rhubarb picnic bars (with almond frangipane -- delicious!) also from there. I have been meeting my neighbors with big rhubarb plants and bumming stalks off them for days, and we are nowhere near rhubarb-ed out.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2085 on: May 23, 2020, 11:06:14 AM »
I like @jeninco plan of margaritas. ;-) We have fresh mint, so are going with mojitos. Aside from that, my husband is making burgers & corn.

Last night was a quick & easy pasta taco bake that was really good & kid friendly

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2086 on: May 23, 2020, 07:49:33 PM »
Made an interesting and flavourful vegan pizza tonight. Even my skeptical partner approved & deemed it 'very tasty'..

https://www.veganricha.com/buffalo-chickpea-pizza-white-garlic-sauce-celery-ranch-vegan-recipe/
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:30:19 AM by Serendip »

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2087 on: May 25, 2020, 12:49:22 PM »
I cooked lunch instead of dinner.  Ribeye steak, baked potato, sautéed okra, and ears of corn.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2088 on: May 25, 2020, 12:58:24 PM »
Last night we grilled chicken & had that over Caesar salads. And, sauteed green beans.

Tonight we are having hot dogs & watermelon.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2089 on: May 25, 2020, 01:00:17 PM »
We’re planning on grilled bison burgers with cheese and pickled red onions. Probably with fries from the air-fryer and some form of cold salad on the side. This weekend, it became hot and humid all of a sudden (we had snow two weeks ago), and we’re still shifting into summer cooking mode.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #2090 on: May 25, 2020, 01:44:46 PM »
turkey meatballs, linguini and red sauce, with a side of oven roasted broccoli with shaved asiago

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2091 on: May 25, 2020, 02:11:13 PM »
Pasta with broccoli and a large salad. I realize I "should" be doing something on the BBQ but I'm not. Oh well.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2092 on: May 25, 2020, 04:54:20 PM »
leftover lentil soup, kale chips.

My husband went to work, I don't have the energy for special things

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2093 on: May 25, 2020, 08:43:00 PM »
Large kid wanted a somewhat traditional Memorial Day dinner, so after we adjusted for the grill being out of gas, we had:  baked beans, grilled (OK, broiled) brats and texas rope sausage (thanks, Trader Joe's!), potato salad, sauerkraut (made by me, last fall), cole slaw, and grilled eggplant.

It was delicious, especially since we don't keep mayo around (I'm not a fan) and the first step was "make mayonnaise" (look up "NWEdible make mayo" for instructions).

He's making brownies now. Urp.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2094 on: May 26, 2020, 07:50:34 AM »
Tonight will be leftovers: grilled burgers, corn & sauteed beans.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2095 on: May 26, 2020, 08:47:25 AM »
So happy good corn is hitting our stores now. Between that and our heat wave, feels like summer! We'll have that and probably some fish.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2096 on: May 27, 2020, 07:35:38 AM »
Grilled chicken, beans & whatever is in our produce box. Maybe roasted brussel sprouts?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2097 on: May 27, 2020, 07:58:36 AM »
Probably grilled chicken and coleslaw. Maybe baked sweet potatoes.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2098 on: May 27, 2020, 01:00:17 PM »
Looking at pasta alla vodka with a veggie tonight! I’ve been eating a LOT of pasta lately but it’s hard to beat the cost and we are trying to lower our meat consumption.

Tomorrow will probably be a chickpea masala biryani with rice and green beans. Yum.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2099 on: May 27, 2020, 02:18:05 PM »
Ottolenghi's zucchini and ground turkey "burgers" (which come with a garlic and herb filled sauce), baked sweet potatoes, and a salad.