Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950069 times)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #2000 on: May 08, 2020, 04:09:10 PM »
Fresh Italian pork sausage and fermented kraut.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2001 on: May 08, 2020, 08:35:57 PM »
the large bored kid wanted to make gnocchi, so we made this: https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/01/gnocchi-in-tomato-broth-more-book-tour/ but with a more standard tomato sauce, rather then with broth. And with artichokes: as long as Trader Joe's is going to sell them 4 for $3, or whatever, I'll keep buying them every two weeks when I go there.

The gnocchi were a PITA, and not yummier then just eating the potatoes. Plus, they made a mess of the kitchen.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2002 on: May 08, 2020, 11:49:57 PM »
We made this pasta last night: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021000-pasta-with-garlicky-spinach-and-buttered-pistachios

I felt like it had a lot of potential, but didn't end up remarkable.  It's just missing something.  But it was soooo easy that I want to try to figure it out so we can put it in the regular rotation.  I'm not a great cook or chef, though, so I don't know what flavor profile I need to add or whatever.  Maybe a bold herb, like mint? I'm just not sure that would go with the slight tang of the capers.  Or just some spice, like crushed red pepper?  It feels like it needs more *flavor* to me, though, not just spice.

Anyway, posting here in case anyone wants to workshop it with me.

Hmm, from the recipe that sounds like it should be pretty good as-is, but I were looking to spice it up I'd probably start by adding some combo of mushrooms + red pepper flakes + lemon juice/zest.

Yeah, I was thinking "Put some Aleppo pepper in that shit!"  (Aleppo and Urfa chili are a couple of my favorite things - lots of flavor without adding too much spice, not that we're spice-averse AT ALL).  Also, did you salt your pasta water adequately?  Often when something is missing a certain je ne se quois, the answer is often salt, so either more salt, or use more parm, like a good reggiano or something.  Or maybe toss in a scrambled egg a 'la pasta carbonara to give it some more heft.

Tonight I invented Scotch jalapeno poppers.  Yesterday I saw a video of of BBQ pitmaster types were making "burger bombs" where were basically seasoned ground beef with a serrano shoved in the middle, and the whole thing wrapped in bacon and cooked over charcoal (I think; wasn't really paying attention).  I liked the idea, but the bacon looked floppy at the end, and I thought it needed cheese.  So halved and seeded some monster jalapenos, broiled them a bit, and then put a piece of sharp cheddar in each and wrapped in seasoned ground beef to form a little meat torpedo.  Draped half a slice of bacon over each and baked, ramping up the heat at the end to get the bacon crisped up.  Other than some of the cheese running out, they were super delicious.  I might try whole jalapenos next time to contain the cheese better (that would especially work if they are cooked with the jalapenos vertical, now that I'm thinking about it).  We had asparagus and tater tots on the side because life is all about balance.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2003 on: May 09, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »
Husband is making fried rice with bacon, mushrooms, and whatever vegetables he found in the fridge.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2004 on: May 09, 2020, 06:49:24 PM »
Tonight will be lentil burgers on homemade hamburger buns with sweet potato fries and a salad on the side. The lentil burger recipe is new from somewhere upthread, I think. The hamburger buns are from The Frugal Girl, which I made once before, a long time ago. Fingers crossed.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2005 on: May 09, 2020, 07:10:32 PM »
Firing up the grill for the first time this year - Grilled chicken breast and asparagus.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2006 on: May 10, 2020, 10:44:07 AM »
Hamburger buns were a hit, lentil burger recipe from Bon Apetit not so much. BBQ sauce helped. I like the idea of a veggie burger, so if anyone has recommendations, I'm interested. I only made a half batch of buns, but I still have a bunch left to work with.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2007 on: May 10, 2020, 10:51:20 AM »
Hamburger buns were a hit, lentil burger recipe from Bon Apetit not so much. BBQ sauce helped. I like the idea of a veggie burger, so if anyone has recommendations, I'm interested. I only made a half batch of buns, but I still have a bunch left to work with.

Of course now I can't find the recipe in my own file, but this looks like the Martha Stewart recipe I used to like (and should probably make again now that husband is able to digest beans): https://www.marthastewart.com/332312/spicy-black-bean-cakes. In fact, this recipe is going on the upcoming menu plan.

I definitely remember the sweet potato, which goes really well with black beans. My only recommendation is not to grill these because they can get a bit crumbly, and then you end up sacrificing some to the coals or burners.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2008 on: May 10, 2020, 10:53:55 AM »
Also, @Dicey , if you have a lot of uncooked lentils to use up, this is one of our favorite ways to prep and eat them: https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/02/stuck-pot-rice-with-lentils-and-yogurt/

I recommend adding 5 minutes of cook time to the lentils and rice (or cooking all of it ahead of time on the white rice setting on the pressure cooker, if you have one).

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2009 on: May 10, 2020, 10:55:41 AM »
We love these quinoa black bean burgers. Super easy and good texture. I round up on the hot sauce and have always replaced the bread crumbs with oats, as some commenter here suggests. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220661/quinoa-black-bean-burgers/

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2010 on: May 10, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »
We have a decent amount of frozen salmon fillets and some potatoes and salad greens that need to be used, so I'll probably make some sort of big dinner salad with flaked roasted salmon, roasted potatoes, the blue cheese crumbles I found in the fridge, assorted other crunchy vegetables, and vinaigrette dressing. Maybe lemon vinaigrette.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2011 on: May 10, 2020, 02:00:35 PM »

I like these veggie burgers: https://peasandcrayons.com/2014/11/butternut-black-bean-burgers.html

I also really liked these lentil 'meat'balls, I use them on salads mostly, but they might be good in a sandwich, too: http://www.vegansandra.com/2016/10/the-best-and-easiest-lentil-balls.html

ETA: Dinner will be another round of personal pizzas.  One might have roasted broccoli, the others probably mushrooms/tomatoes and bell pepper/onions.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2012 on: May 10, 2020, 05:05:21 PM »
Last night we had the NYTimes recipe for Indian red beans which I'm not linking to because it was just OK. The saag (which I cobbled together from a few other recipes) turned out great!

Tonight: we're having an old recipe for linguine with tomato sauce that contains an entire jar of marinated artichoke hearts, and then a composed salad of fresh greens (from our neighbor's yard!), leftover grilled eggplants, leftover grilled steak, and some egyptian walking onions I thinned out the gardens that I'm going to treat like rams and cook in a cast iron skillet. I'm still working that one out: we also have quite a few carrots to use up, so I'll likely shred some.  Probably coconut cake for dessert, if I can get the currently-baking bread out of the oven in time.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2013 on: May 10, 2020, 09:02:27 PM »
We love these quinoa black bean burgers. Super easy and good texture. I round up on the hot sauce and have always replaced the bread crumbs with oats, as some commenter here suggests. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220661/quinoa-black-bean-burgers/
Well, based on this recipe, tonight's version was much better. I didn't have any peppers, so I did a batch of caramelized onions and used about a half cup of those instead. I did double up on the hot sauce and added parsley and black pepper. Because I have zillions of them leftover from an event, I used crushed crackers, which worked fine. The mixture was very thick (possibly because I used scratch cooked black beans), I did not add any egg. I have to say this version was much sticker than yesterday's, so they were easier to cook. I used a glove for my patty-forming hand, which was inspired. It would have been a huge mess otherwise. My meat-eaters were happy, possibly because tonight's side was crinkle-cut sweet potato fries. Seriously, they said it was a definite improvement.

The black bean recipe I used resulted in a lot of extra bean broth, so I dumped some brown rice in it and let the IP do its magic. Now I have a bunch of yummy-looking dirty rice that will become the basis of another meal. Hey, maybe I can use them in another veggie burger recipe. Hmmm, let me think about that...

Thanks for all the tips, suggestions and link love. You guys rock!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2014 on: May 10, 2020, 09:19:08 PM »
Made a weird but tasty casserole tonight.  At first I was going to do a basic spaghetti sauce and meatballs baked into spaghetti squash.  But then I realized I needed to use up a cauliflower, so used that instead of the squash.  Only have a few jars of the spaghetti sauce I canned last summer, but tons of enchilada sauce canned in '18, so I did a quick pivot and did a kind of cauliflower Suizas casserole with sauteed mushrooms, onions and spinach, and olives, halved meatballs and cheese over the top.  Quite yum and we got our share of veggies for the day.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2015 on: May 10, 2020, 10:13:55 PM »
Tonight we had the remains of the buttery pistachio chard pasta I linked above... unredeemed by some of the suggestions here unfortunately (but thank you!). Though to be fair, perhaps too late to redeem as leftovers rather than a new batch.

BUT! I went in search of something super flavorful to do with our brussels sprouts and we hit the jackpot with this recipe: https://food52.com/recipes/39047-sambal-roasted-brussel-sprouts-with-fish-sauce-vinaigrette

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2016 on: May 10, 2020, 10:17:51 PM »
Hey, I have two heads of fancy colored cauliflower, one purple and one orange. Any suggestions?

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2017 on: May 11, 2020, 12:00:53 PM »
Also, @Dicey , if you have a lot of uncooked lentils to use up, this is one of our favorite ways to prep and eat them: https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/02/stuck-pot-rice-with-lentils-and-yogurt/

I recommend adding 5 minutes of cook time to the lentils and rice (or cooking all of it ahead of time on the white rice setting on the pressure cooker, if you have one).

I'm adding this to the menu for the next two weeks, but ... what do you suggest having with it? It looks like a fairly bland (but, hopefully, crunchy on the edges) dish of rice and lentils -- can we add spicy sausages on the side? Or ... ?? what ??

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2018 on: May 11, 2020, 12:04:04 PM »
Hey, I have two heads of fancy colored cauliflower, one purple and one orange. Any suggestions?

Do they change color when you cook them? (Frequently purple vegetables will... you can try microwaving a tiny piece of each until "cooked" and see what happens.)

If in doubt, I generally make roast cauliflower salad (think caponata, but with roasted pieces of cauliflower: capers, raisins soaked in red or white wine vinegar, maybe roasted red peppers, of which I keep jars around, parsley, ...).  I also like several of the smitten kitchen recipes: https://smittenkitchen.com/recipes/vegetable/cauliflower/  (you may have noticed that this site is a go-to for several of us...)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2019 on: May 11, 2020, 01:20:42 PM »

Do they change color when you cook them? (Frequently purple vegetables will... you can try microwaving a tiny piece of each until "cooked" and see what happens.)

If in doubt, I generally make roast cauliflower salad (think caponata, but with roasted pieces of cauliflower: capers, raisins soaked in red or white wine vinegar, maybe roasted red peppers, of which I keep jars around, parsley, ...).  I also like several of the smitten kitchen recipes: https://smittenkitchen.com/recipes/vegetable/cauliflower/  (you may have noticed that this site is a go-to for several of us...)
Thanks, I found something there. It calls for currants, which I don't have, but I have dried blueberries/cranberries/golden raisins. One of these should work. Funny, I do have a jar of roasted red peppers on hand, mainly because we don't really like them, but I keep thinking we should.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2020 on: May 11, 2020, 02:18:03 PM »

I'm adding this to the menu for the next two weeks, but ... what do you suggest having with it? It looks like a fairly bland (but, hopefully, crunchy on the edges) dish of rice and lentils -- can we add spicy sausages on the side? Or ... ?? what ??

It's surprisingly not bland, although you could certainly add more spice. Smoked paprika and Aleppo pepper would be great. The onions add a lot of flavor.

We usually eat it with roasted salmon, usually seasoned with Old Bay and a bit of cayenne. Spicy sausages would be tasty.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2021 on: May 11, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »
I found some ham in the freezer and have bell peppers and mushrooms to use. I think I'll do a crustless quiche and side salad.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2022 on: May 11, 2020, 07:16:24 PM »
We made this pasta last night: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021000-pasta-with-garlicky-spinach-and-buttered-pistachios

I felt like it had a lot of potential, but didn't end up remarkable.  It's just missing something.  But it was soooo easy that I want to try to figure it out so we can put it in the regular rotation.  I'm not a great cook or chef, though, so I don't know what flavor profile I need to add or whatever.  Maybe a bold herb, like mint? I'm just not sure that would go with the slight tang of the capers.  Or just some spice, like crushed red pepper?  It feels like it needs more *flavor* to me, though, not just spice.

Anyway, posting here in case anyone wants to workshop it with me.

I can see how this sounds good but might need little oomph, my first instinct would be a touch of lemon zest or juice to brighten it up and heavier with the black pepper but depends on your preferences :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2023 on: May 11, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »
Just made a lentil stuffed eggplant parmesan for the first time--waiting for it to cool down but it looks great :)
https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/09/stuffed-eggplant-parmesan/

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #2024 on: May 11, 2020, 07:31:43 PM »
Chicken and pancakes, because it's that kind of day.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2025 on: May 11, 2020, 08:09:00 PM »

BNgarden

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2026 on: May 11, 2020, 08:14:23 PM »
Made this with substitutions, mainly extra roasted veggies, no honey or mint.  Yumm!
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/may/11/thomasina-miers-recipe-for-roasted-carrots-with-tahini-yoghurt

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2027 on: May 11, 2020, 09:21:28 PM »
Pizza night! We added one new flavor tonight, feta and olive with arugula added halfway through baking. It was a white pizza base. Very good!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2028 on: May 12, 2020, 01:32:33 AM »
Tacos! The black beans, rice and meat were previously batch cooked. One avocado was perfectly ripe, so Taco Monday it was.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2029 on: May 12, 2020, 06:50:38 AM »
I’ve got a Boston Butt in the crockpot, so it will be pulled pork for dinner.  With some microwave mac and cheese (so not my usual, but it was on the clearance rack at the store and I got it as an ‘emergency’ side), spinach salad, and maybe some sautéed squash and zucchini.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2030 on: May 12, 2020, 07:11:18 AM »
I’ve got a Boston Butt in the crockpot, so it will be pulled pork for dinner.  With some microwave mac and cheese (so not my usual, but it was on the clearance rack at the store and I got it as an ‘emergency’ side), spinach salad, and maybe some sautéed squash and zucchini.

What the frickety frack is a Boston Butt!?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2031 on: May 12, 2020, 07:19:15 AM »

Regional name for a whole pork shoulder roast.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2032 on: May 12, 2020, 07:21:22 AM »

Pork shoulder.

"Boston butt, or pork butt, is the American name for a cut of pork that comes from the upper part of the shoulder from the front leg and may contain the blade bone. Boston butt is the most common cut used for pulled pork, a staple of barbecue in the southern United States." - according to Wikipedia

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2033 on: May 12, 2020, 07:35:21 AM »

Pork shoulder.

"Boston butt, or pork butt, is the American name for a cut of pork that comes from the upper part of the shoulder from the front leg and may contain the blade bone. Boston butt is the most common cut used for pulled pork, a staple of barbecue in the southern United States." - according to Wikipedia

Never heard the term before. Pretty sure that's called pork shoulder here. Mainly cos.. it's a shoulder.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2034 on: May 12, 2020, 08:25:22 AM »
Never heard the term before. Pretty sure that's called pork shoulder here. Mainly cos.. it's a shoulder.

I continue to use the term because it is more descriptive to American butchers than pork shoulder, to make sure I get the cut I want.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #2035 on: May 12, 2020, 08:37:06 AM »
I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before now! My MIL are taking turns cooking during quarantine and it's amazing. In true frugal fashion, they have all the leftover odds and ends after their retirement community of snowbirds went back to Canada, so we are making up all sorts of yummy concoctions.

Last night we had salmon cakes ala Ina Garten, from leftover salmon cooked on the grill. Subbed extra celery for the red peppers. SO Good!
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/salmon-cakes-recipe-1916217

We also had roasted cabbage with salt, lemon juice, and Parmesan. So yummy and filling. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2036 on: May 12, 2020, 10:56:39 AM »
Oven chicken shawarma with rice, garlic-yogurt sauce, and roasted veggies.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2037 on: May 12, 2020, 02:43:57 PM »
Kid #2 had a Spanish assignment to cook a "Traditional" (or maybe it was "typical") Spanish food and narrate a video of the cooking process ... in Spanish, of course. So we had "Potato Bombas" for lunch, i.e. cooked seasoned ground beef inside a shell of mashed potatoes, then fried. Urp!  Now he has to edit the video, and add the voice over. And I need to figure out what to do with about a cup of used cooking oil (I'll use it for cooking bit by bit over the next week or so, probably.)

Although the kitchen is now cleaned up, my energy for involved meals has now been pretty much used up, so I'll be defrosting some chili (and using the rest of the ground beef he opened to make a little bit more), making cabbage-n-carrot slaw and probably making fresh tortillas -- we're completely out, but we do have half of a 5-lb bag of masa marina and a tortilla press. If I get a small burst of energy, I'm making this: https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/03/coconut-bread/

Tomorrow, I go shopping and start it all over again!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2038 on: May 12, 2020, 07:24:34 PM »

I continue to use the term because it is more descriptive to American butchers than pork shoulder, to make sure I get the cut I want.

Absolutely. That's what it's called there so that's what it's called there. I would be lot in a sea of 'butts' and 'ground' meat in the USA.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #2039 on: May 12, 2020, 08:49:43 PM »
I took a break from cooking, first time in a long while, and bought fajitas for curbside pickup. The leftovers should cover at least another meal.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2040 on: May 13, 2020, 09:36:28 AM »
I need to cut back the cilantro plant, so I'm thinking carnitas. If we have extra avocado, with guacamole

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2041 on: May 13, 2020, 10:18:09 AM »
Yeah, this might be a takeout night. Or I'll thaw some frozen soup. I'm really not in the mood to cook.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #2042 on: May 13, 2020, 02:27:20 PM »
Tonight is steak, roasted carrots/parsnips/leeks, kale salad with dressing of lemon, vinegar, avocado, and potatoes

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2043 on: May 13, 2020, 07:38:35 PM »
Last night, a sheetpan dinner of broccoli, new potatoes and kielbasa slices.

Tonight, beef-butternut squash chili and keto "cornbread" muffins, with enough leftovers for tomorrow.  Perfect for two cooler, rainy days before it heats up again.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2044 on: May 13, 2020, 08:26:14 PM »
NYTimes rice noodle salad with ground pork and loads of veg and herbs. Dressing is lime juice, lemon juice, fish sauce, a little honey, and some oil. I cut up spinach, scallions, mint, romaine lettuce, cakes, cherry tomatoes, and lightly pickled some daikon before I got bored of cutting stuff up (so the cilantro didn't make it in). Popular and tasty!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2045 on: May 13, 2020, 09:17:53 PM »
The couscous cakes are in our regular rotation. Easy and tasty. The first meal DH cooked for me when he invited me over for our 4th or 5th date.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/feta-green-onion-couscous-cakes-over-tomato-olive-salad

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2046 on: May 14, 2020, 09:29:08 AM »
I have a big batch of from-scratch tomato sauce with mushrooms, vegetables, and hot Italian sausage simmering on the stove. I'll serve some over pasta tonight and freeze most of it for later.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2047 on: May 14, 2020, 12:32:29 PM »
Walnut crusted sea bass with lemon butter sauce.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2048 on: May 14, 2020, 12:58:29 PM »
It's leftover night:
-Kebabs & rice (some)
-Cauliflower crust pizza (others)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2049 on: May 14, 2020, 09:35:01 PM »
Was reading a memoir by poet Elizabeth Alexander.
Subject: losing her husband and the beauty of life (title: The Light of the World).

She sprinkles recipes throughout the book as he was a chef as well as an artist. The first meal she and her boys ate with friends after he died was an onion-heavy/pancetta pasta. That's what we ate tonight (I subbed thick bacon for pancetta) and the onions are slowly cooked for over 40 minutes. It was really, really, really good (I am the 'mostly vegetarian' in the household so this was ones of the only times I've cooked meat in a few years. My guy was very happy with this meal) :)