Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950080 times)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1950 on: May 01, 2020, 09:55:21 PM »
I was so not in the mood to cook tonight.  So we picked one of our easiest recipes and DH did most of it.  Black Bean Soup - "Asian style": https://www.food.com/recipe/black-bean-soup-asian-style-206897

Replaced chicken with veggie stock and served with salad.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1951 on: May 02, 2020, 05:41:55 AM »
Okay, this is really dumb but I never have bought flour tortillas before! I know, I know...it is time for me to enter the current century!

I recently bought low carb Mission brand flour tortillas. So far I have had refried beans, cheese, chopped onion with some hot sauce, served with sour cream and I am in love! The first time I warmed the tortilla in a skillet and the second time in the microwave.

I just love the texture of the flour tortillas and want to use them more and I know there are probably thousands of options. I thought I would ask for suggestions for things that you have made and loved!

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1952 on: May 02, 2020, 06:53:56 AM »
Okay, this is really dumb but I never have bought flour tortillas before! I know, I know...it is time for me to enter the current century!

I recently bought low carb Mission brand flour tortillas. So far I have had refried beans, cheese, chopped onion with some hot sauce, served with sour cream and I am in love! The first time I warmed the tortilla in a skillet and the second time in the microwave.

I just love the texture of the flour tortillas and want to use them more and I know there are probably thousands of options. I thought I would ask for suggestions for things that you have made and loved!

Are they big enough for burritos? I love this burrito recipe, but I usually use sweet potatoes instead of squash - https://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/24/black-bean-and-butternut-squash-burritos/ (I actually usually use collard greens as the ‘tortilla’ to make them lower calorie, before I started that, I stuffed them with a decent amount of spinach.)

Also made these tacos recently - https://showmetheyummy.com/sweet-potato-tacos-recipe/

And these are really great - https://www.marthastewart.com/330254/ricks-tacos-with-garlicky-mexican-greens

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1953 on: May 02, 2020, 08:32:57 AM »
I think we're having a Persian comfort food dish - lubia polo. Which, is a ground beef & bean dish, with saffron & cinnamon. Yum! Hopefully my husband will help me a bit.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1954 on: May 02, 2020, 11:46:46 AM »
Got a craving for Navajo tacos the other night, but being sore has made me lazy.  I plan to make them up for dinner tonight.  Ready for tomato plants to start producing so we can have "real" fresh tomatoes soon, store bought just isn't the same.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1955 on: May 02, 2020, 12:52:36 PM »
Wait.  you can eat radish greens?

Raw or cooked! And if your radishes bolt, you can use the green seed pods in stir fry.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1956 on: May 02, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »
Husband is grilling pork ribs over charcoal. I will make a big colorful salad (spinach, cucumber, yellow bell pepper, red onion, radishes, mushrooms) and probably roasted potatoes to go with it.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1957 on: May 02, 2020, 04:33:32 PM »
Hamburgers and green salads, homemade buttermilk ranch dressing

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1958 on: May 02, 2020, 05:03:35 PM »
Just made two pans of lasagne. Eat some now, save some for later.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1959 on: May 03, 2020, 01:12:02 AM »
Quinoa and black bean salad — the perfect lunch when it’s super hot outside!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1960 on: May 03, 2020, 07:38:29 AM »
I've got a big batch of veggie stock on the stove right now, so probably dinner is going to be a black bean and potato soup.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1961 on: May 03, 2020, 10:42:23 AM »
Last night: this https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/09/stuffed-eggplant-parmesan/ with some angel-hair pasta for the teenagers and exercisers and a salad. It was darn and drizzly for a good bit of the day, and something baked was perfect (plus, Trader Joe's keeps having eggplants on sale for $1.60 or so, and the recipe uses only about a half lb of hot italian sausage per entire batch. We added a few spoonfuls of small white beans, cooked.)

Tonight: It's sunny! And lovely and warm out! We're having a version of this: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-baja-shrimp-taco-salad-256166

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1962 on: May 03, 2020, 01:44:37 PM »
Cold salad of canned tuna, Christmas lima beans, feta, scallions, yellow bell pepper, cucumber, and radish in vinaigrette dressing. Probably served over spinach.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1963 on: May 03, 2020, 03:21:08 PM »
rainbow trout. and peanut butter brownies. and maybe some sides to connect the two, idk.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1964 on: May 03, 2020, 03:38:48 PM »
My husband is cooking tonight, although I do the salad every day. He's making grilled chicken (marinated in a yogurt mix of some kind), sauteed beans & potatoes. I think he'll thinly slice the potatoes & throw those on the grill as well. I'll be having mine with wine. Yum.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1965 on: May 03, 2020, 05:54:02 PM »
Peanut sauce veggie fried rice (https://www.veganricha.com/peanut-sauce-fried-rice/).  This is what I came up with to use up a red pepper (bought it with veggie burgers in mind, but made the bean spread for sandwiches instead).  Instead of tofu, I added some eggs.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1966 on: May 03, 2020, 07:23:27 PM »
I always get so many ideas on this thread :)

Tonight we are having leftover PB and kidney bean stew..with rice & naan and a red-lentil/spinach side.
I also have an apple and rhubarb crisp in the oven but likely more for breakfast than desert
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 07:25:50 PM by Serendip »

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1967 on: May 03, 2020, 07:33:36 PM »
Baked chicken thighs in herbes de Provence and Dijon mustard marinade, garlic mashed potatoes, and green salad with buttermilk ranch dressing. Orange Jello jigglers for dessert!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1968 on: May 03, 2020, 11:10:31 PM »
Cooked a leg of lamb in the Instant Pot with a jar of red chile sauce I canned last summer.  I had mine as a burrito bowl with shredded cabbage and refried beans, while DH had proper burritos.

Tomorrow I'm doing chicken egg foo young served over stirfried Napa cabbage to use up some leftover chicken other random bits.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1969 on: May 04, 2020, 01:55:53 AM »
Gnocchi bolognaise.  The bog sauce comes from the freezer as we always do a big batch, and the gnocchi from Aldi is cheap and yum.  Maybe a red wine with it.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1970 on: May 04, 2020, 12:04:31 PM »
I was messing with our dairy order yesterday, when I saw that they added pulled pork from a really good local BBQ place, so I added a pound of that! (Far, far, from a mustachian purchase...)

It showed up with our milk at O-dark-thirty this morning and it's not much volume (in fact, I 'm tempted to weight it), so we'll have it with rolls, cole slaw, baked beans, cooked greens, and potentially some cornbread/spoonbread cross for dessert. With orange slices, because I went shopping today and now we have too many oranges.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1971 on: May 04, 2020, 12:09:49 PM »
I think we will have this: Easy Baked Penne with Ricotta and Basil

I'll use the last of the red sauce with ground turkey from the freezer and replace 4 oz of pasta with chopped mushrooms. I might also mix in some spinach. It's a good excuse to use up the tub of ricotta in my fridge. I think I bought it for an Easter dessert that obviously didn't happen.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1972 on: May 04, 2020, 12:46:21 PM »
Lemon butter baked tilapia & sauteed green beans

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1973 on: May 04, 2020, 05:03:28 PM »
Leftover vegetarian lasagna.  We have a ton of veggies to use up, so yesterday, I decided lasagna (because we also had a partial box of GF lasagna noodles).

Thing is, we didn't have any ricotta or cottage cheese (or any vegan alternatives like cashews or tofu).

The vegetarian red sauce had marinara sauce, red and yellow bell peppers, onion, zucchini, and broccoli.

The "cheese sauce" had sauteed spinach, a little bit of cream cheese, a cube of frozen pesto and... a pureed can of white beans. It's really good.

We also ran out of mozzarella, so we subbed a little cheddar/jack and goat cheese. 

Last night no side veg, tonight kale chips.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1974 on: May 05, 2020, 11:14:24 AM »
Pork chops (first time buying them from the grocery store instead of my local guy - they're boneless and butterflied - we'll see how it goes).  Serving with roasted corn, sauteed okra, and cornbread.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1975 on: May 05, 2020, 03:53:13 PM »
It's 5 de Mayo, so Mexican food! Homemade guacamole, taco meat, pinto beans, salsa, queso, tortilla chips, and fresh mango for dessert

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1976 on: May 05, 2020, 03:56:07 PM »
Cinco de Mayo.  Gonna fry me up some chicken fajita filling (chicken breast, green peppers, and onions), served on romaine lettuce topped with cilantro and homemade salsa my roommate made.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1977 on: May 05, 2020, 04:35:44 PM »
Son (20) is on dinner tonight (we're rotating through dinner duties) - he's making homemade empanadas, some filled with beef and some with chicken. A little challenging as we last got groceries 4 weeks ago so fresh items are limited; I did talk him into using canned chicken for the chicken filling instead of one of the 2 packs left in the freezer.

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1978 on: May 05, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »
I've already confessed this over on couponvan's journal, but we had the traditional lasagne and salad to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
I had all the ingredients on hand for a Taco Fiesta, which may have been the problem. Seems we've been eating a lot of Mexican food lately and there was a full tray of lasagne in the other fridge. Convenience won. Or maybe it was laziness, enabled by past industriousness.

However, I may have redeemed myself by preparing a Khalua Chocolate Cake for dessert. It's cooling on the stove, so I'll have to report back later.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1979 on: May 05, 2020, 09:19:40 PM »
We had some poblano chilis taking up space in the fridge, so I broiled them, mixed them with slightly mashed potatoes, black beans, and corn (and a little jack cheese) and made enchiladas. And salad.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1980 on: May 06, 2020, 08:13:30 AM »
We have leftover grilled chicken. I'll probably turn that into chicken tacos for tonight

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1981 on: May 06, 2020, 09:35:52 AM »
Didn't get to cook dinner last night because of work and a Zoom meeting, so we'll have our Mexican feast tonight. Mom dropped off some extra tostada shells from her last grocery order, so I think I'll make black bean tostadas.

Edit: I also had all the ingredients for a batch of guacamole and a batch of margaritas, so we had a proper feast. : )
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 07:26:03 PM by OtherJen »

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1982 on: May 06, 2020, 03:36:25 PM »
Okonomiyaki!
(savoury Japanese pancake with cabbage, eggs, etc).
I've always wanted to try this!

You should @FrugalKube!  Very tasty and you don't really need all that many ingredients. Just find a recipe with the basics and go from there--it is good to have a bit of mayonnaise or yogourt for a topping (we used yogourt with green onions, chives & capers mixed in...tasty)
If you ever go to Japan, there are some restaurants that only serve this dish...much more elaborate than my homemade version

All good info! My wife has been to Japan a few times and tells me all about Okonomiyaki

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1983 on: May 06, 2020, 03:40:37 PM »
Yea last night we had hometacos, had salsa chicken from sunday and we made up some ground turkey too. Used the instant pot to make black beans which turned out pretty good.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1984 on: May 06, 2020, 06:27:29 PM »
Tonight: leftover spicy chickpea & kale pomodoro. Yum.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1985 on: May 06, 2020, 06:40:34 PM »
Tonight: leftover spicy chickpea & kale pomodoro. Yum.

Sounds interesting!

We're having kidney bean "curry" - spicy and verrry gingery!

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1986 on: May 06, 2020, 07:33:21 PM »
popcorn and an apple, keeping it simple tonight

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1987 on: May 06, 2020, 08:09:49 PM »
I went to Trader Joe's on Monday, knowing I was planning for tonight's meal, so we had hummus, zhaug, cherry tomatoes, and little persian cucumbers. We made cake&tomato salad, and also low-key tzaziki. Then we made https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/12/falafel/ and https://smittenkitchen.com/2009/03/pita-bread/ (because commercial pita bread sucks).

This dinner requires a bit of advanced preparation (the chickpeas need to start soaking the night before, (don't be like me and leap out of bed at 6 am to put them on to soak because you forgot, although it worked) and the pita dough needs a bunch of hours in the fridge, but the actual dinner comes together fairly quickly, and is delicious!

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #1988 on: May 06, 2020, 08:22:07 PM »
Deep dish pizza in a cast iron pan.  Used the last of my yeast:(

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1989 on: May 07, 2020, 09:41:01 PM »
Seared some little kune-kune pork chops in cast iron served with sauteed mushrooms. On the side we had steamed artichokes with mayo and golden beets with dill, lemon and Aleppo pepper.  We may or may not have eaten Whoppers for dessert.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1990 on: May 07, 2020, 10:54:32 PM »
Peanut sauce veggie fried rice (https://www.veganricha.com/peanut-sauce-fried-rice/).  This is what I came up with to use up a red pepper (bought it with veggie burgers in mind, but made the bean spread for sandwiches instead).  Instead of tofu, I added some eggs.
I made this tonight and it was a hit! I used a combination of black, brown, and basmati rice plus quinoa and barley, so it looked nothing like the picture, but it was good. Bonus: I finally (accidentally) figured out how to brown tofu cubes! I had the griddle out on the counter, so I used it to brown the cubed tofu while I did all the other steps. I kept turning them so every side was browned. Genius!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1991 on: May 08, 2020, 06:26:08 AM »
Last night, I made an old favorite meal: sautéed chicken thighs, sliced mushrooms, and onions in olive oil, seasoned with a couple tablespoons of Emeril’s essence spice blend (very good; I recommend using smoked paprika and cutting the cayenne in half unless you like a lot of heat), and served over spaghetti squash.

Tonight, I’ll use the rest of the chicken and some chickpeas in this (not) butter chicken recipe from Budget Bytes, which will be served over rice and accompanied by a green salad.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1992 on: May 08, 2020, 07:06:34 AM »
I made this tonight and it was a hit! I used a combination of black, brown, and basmati rice plus quinoa and barley, so it looked nothing like the picture, but it was good. Bonus: I finally (accidentally) figured out how to brown tofu cubes! I had the griddle out on the counter, so I used it to brown the cubed tofu while I did all the other steps. I kept turning them so every side was browned. Genius!
The sauce was so good!

That’s a great idea for the tofu, I’ll have to try that sometime!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1993 on: May 08, 2020, 09:59:44 AM »
The sauce was so good!

That’s a great idea for the tofu, I’ll have to try that sometime!

If you're feeling less patient, you can cut it into strips -- there's less turning, and almost every surface will get browned.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1994 on: May 08, 2020, 12:44:12 PM »
We made this pasta last night: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021000-pasta-with-garlicky-spinach-and-buttered-pistachios

I felt like it had a lot of potential, but didn't end up remarkable.  It's just missing something.  But it was soooo easy that I want to try to figure it out so we can put it in the regular rotation.  I'm not a great cook or chef, though, so I don't know what flavor profile I need to add or whatever.  Maybe a bold herb, like mint? I'm just not sure that would go with the slight tang of the capers.  Or just some spice, like crushed red pepper?  It feels like it needs more *flavor* to me, though, not just spice.

Anyway, posting here in case anyone wants to workshop it with me.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1995 on: May 08, 2020, 12:50:12 PM »
We made this pasta last night: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021000-pasta-with-garlicky-spinach-and-buttered-pistachios

I felt like it had a lot of potential, but didn't end up remarkable.  It's just missing something.  But it was soooo easy that I want to try to figure it out so we can put it in the regular rotation.  I'm not a great cook or chef, though, so I don't know what flavor profile I need to add or whatever.  Maybe a bold herb, like mint? I'm just not sure that would go with the slight tang of the capers.  Or just some spice, like crushed red pepper?  It feels like it needs more *flavor* to me, though, not just spice.

My first instinct would be to replace some of the butter with bacon grease. If you're trying to stick with vegetarian, maybe some smoked paprika for a bit of smoky umami.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1996 on: May 08, 2020, 12:52:57 PM »

Hmm, from the recipe that sounds like it should be pretty good as-is, but I were looking to spice it up I'd probably start by adding some combo of mushrooms + red pepper flakes + lemon juice/zest.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1997 on: May 08, 2020, 02:30:20 PM »
I’m making turkey pot pie tonight (https://damndelicious.net/2013/11/22/leftover-thanksgiving-turkey-pot-pie/), with a side of roasted broccoli.  I don’t think I’ve ever made a pot pie, but it sounds pretty good today, and uses the last of my shredded turkey from a few weeks ago.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1998 on: May 08, 2020, 03:08:34 PM »
Taco salads

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1999 on: May 08, 2020, 04:06:50 PM »
Red beans and rice with fried apples for dessert.