Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 950136 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1850 on: April 16, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »
@sui generis , maybe try soaking the lettuce leaves in cold water? That might perk them up a bit.

I have a heavy workload today so I thawed out a pack of pulled pork shoulder that I roasted and froze a few weeks ago. It will make lovely tacos with sliced avocado, salad mix, radishes, and salsa on corn tortillas. I'll toss some of it in a pot of beans tomorrow or Saturday.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1851 on: April 16, 2020, 05:43:47 PM »
@sui generis , that's interesting -- our little local grocery chain had  mostly pretty decent-looking produce. (It may have helped that I was there before 8 am in a snowstorm :^)  I never like shopping with the crowds!)  No asparagus, but $3/lb broccolini. Since I'm trying to shop for 10 days or so, I got 2 dinner's worth.

It's just not lettuce season, around here. Hothouse tomatoes, however, are a thing...

Tonight: whenever I ask what people want for dinner, my husband says "fish". Rockfish fillets were (kinda) on sale, so we'll have those with baked potatoes (when I put away the newly purchased potatoes, I discovered that a half dozen or so of the ones we already had were rather sad looking and need to be used ASAP) and steamed broccolini. Lemon and parsley sauce with everything (and some leftover tahini/lemon sauce on mine). We also have some aioli rocking around in the fridge from last Saturday, so that may also go out as an option. Kid really wants to try making a mirror glaze, so he's made a quick chocolate cake to use as a base for a white chocolate glaze.

Tomorrow is friday, so pizza. Probably with shredded carrot salad.

Last night we made the "lemon yogurt anything" cake from smitten kitchen with 3/4 cup poppyseeds instead of blueberries. That was a very, very big hit. (urp!)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1852 on: April 16, 2020, 06:16:15 PM »
@jeninco , I highly recommend that lemon yogurt cake with the berries during blueberry season. It's delightful.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1853 on: April 16, 2020, 07:20:47 PM »
@jeninco , I highly recommend that lemon yogurt cake with the berries during blueberry season. It's delightful.

I definitely want to try that cake. Looks so tasty.

Made two new indian dishes tonight from vegan richa..a spicy tomato potato curry (also added spinach & squash to use them up) and then coconut, cabbage, mustard-seed dish, served with jasmine rice.  I was a bit anxious as my SO veers away from veg/brassica heavy meals due to digestive issues but both of us were super pleased with the taste..hopefully he feels good overnight b/c it was all really delicious.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1854 on: April 16, 2020, 08:23:34 PM »
Thursdays are typically "use up the last of the prepped meals" nights. Here's what we're having:
-2 kids eating spaghetti & meatballs
-Husband eating salmon & coleslaw
-I'll be eating the last of the chicken tikka masala with rice

After that, the fridge will largely be cleared of leftovers, and we'll start again.
Hah, similar here though we don’t necessarily have a schedule for leftovers. Husband had fried rice, kids had pasta, and I have lentil soup. And the baby spat out both avocado and carrots. Bleh.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1855 on: April 16, 2020, 08:23:59 PM »
Several days ago I cooked a pot roast in beer and chile sauce.  Still had leftovers, so I cooked it more until the meat was shreddable, and made a casserole with cauliflower, some onion, bell pepper, more Mexican spices, and some cheese on top.

Tomorrow I need to use up a ton of asparagus that I didn't store properly (lesson learned) and have been trying to salvage.  Might indulge our inner 5 year olds with tater tots and hotdogs to go with.

Saturday will be palak paneer or a big batch of creamed spinach.  Nowadays it's all about using the fresh produce in a particular order.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1856 on: April 17, 2020, 07:54:20 AM »

I definitely want to try that cake. Looks so tasty.

Made two new indian dishes tonight from vegan richa..a spicy tomato potato curry (also added spinach & squash to use them up) and then coconut, cabbage, mustard-seed dish, served with jasmine rice.  I was a bit anxious as my SO veers away from veg/brassica heavy meals due to digestive issues but both of us were super pleased with the taste..hopefully he feels good overnight b/c it was all really delicious.

The cake was fantastic with 3/4 cup or so of poppy seeds and no berries --just don't get drug tested, I guess!

Your indian dishes sound wonderful -- maybe I'll search around for something that looks better then what I tried last week.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1857 on: April 17, 2020, 05:10:06 PM »

Your indian dishes sound wonderful -- maybe I'll search around for something that looks better then what I tried last week.

The website at vegan richa is good b/c she uses a lot of pantry items and if you want to top it with some meat or eggs you easily could (we eat meat but not for every meal). I also appreciate how many dishes you can make with staples that taste differently depending on how you spice it. I also just will search recipes depending on what I have that needs to be used up (broccoli, etc) and then get to try something new. Looking forward to making her peanut stew w/ coconut & kidney beans later this week.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1858 on: April 17, 2020, 05:31:01 PM »
@ysette9 - I have stuck to my previous (pre-quarantine) schedule of only cooking on weekends, due to work  just being exhausted at the end of a typical work day. By Thursday, the leftover situation can be really dicey. It's not so much planned, as just the way the inventory works out.

For tonight, it's chicken alfredo (sub cauliflower rice for one) & salad

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1859 on: April 17, 2020, 10:26:56 PM »
Budget Bytes’ sheet pan roasted cabbage, smoked (turkey) sausage, and potatoes. It’s a favorite easy comfort food meal in our house.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1860 on: April 18, 2020, 02:12:58 PM »
Pizza, since I didn't make it last night, and salad.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1861 on: April 18, 2020, 03:46:06 PM »
I've got a turkey in the oven.  Never actually cooked a whole turkey before, just breasts, so we'll see.  It smells great!  Serving with side salads and some Rancho Gordo Royal Corona beans (I hope I started them in time, planned for 2.5 hrs).

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1862 on: April 18, 2020, 08:11:47 PM »
We've always found turkeys to cook faster then we're expecting...

We had this: https://smittenkitchen.com/2020/04/roast-chicken-with-schmaltzy-cabbage/ which, I have to say, was delicious. I suggest having the cabbage slices be on the thicker side, because they cooked down more then I was expecting. However, yum! (We had it with boiled half red potatoes to which I added frozen green beans when they were about 5 minutes from being cooked.)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1863 on: April 18, 2020, 10:18:33 PM »
Had a grilled chicken breast left over from a couple of days ago. Googled for recipes and came up with Chicken Tamale Casserole because I had all the ingredients, including cilantro, scratch cooked black beans, cornmeal and a cast iron skillet. It was okay. I was able to put the chicken on 3/4 of the dish, leaving a meat-free quarter for me. Mixed green salad on the side.

OTOH, breakfast was fan-tastic! My new friend brought me half a big loaf of homemade bread. I turned it into, yup, avocado toast this morning and it was delicious. My griddle was still sitting on the counter, so I used it to fry the eggs, which was much easier than pan frying. Score one for being too lazy to climb up on the stepstool to put the griddle away last time I used it. (Hint: It was not yesterday.)

The bit of bread I have left is going to make fine toast in the morning.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1864 on: April 19, 2020, 09:00:36 AM »

We had this: https://smittenkitchen.com/2020/04/roast-chicken-with-schmaltzy-cabbage/ which, I have to say, was delicious. I suggest having the cabbage slices be on the thicker side, because they cooked down more then I was expecting. However, yum! (We had it with boiled half red potatoes to which I added frozen green beans when they were about 5 minutes from being cooked.)

Good to hear you liked this.  I actually have it saved to make later this week!

Today I'm doing  BBQ baby back ribs, smoked potato salad and creamed spinach.  Made a spice mix and rubbed the ribs with it yesterday.  I have a lot of homemade barbecue sauce, so I'll use that to finish the ribs.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1865 on: April 19, 2020, 09:39:31 AM »

Yum. I saw that on one of her social media pages and thought it looked good. Glad to know it's a winner!

I think we're having broccoli cheddar soup (also from Smitten Kitchen). It will use up the diced broccoli and cauliflower stems in the freezer, plus the handful of cauliflower florets in the fridge. I have a chicken carcass that needs to be turned into stock, so that stock and the last of the meat will also go in the soup.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1866 on: April 19, 2020, 10:05:00 AM »
We're having salmon & potatoes today. Not sure how we'll prep the potatoes, but we need to start working through a large bag, so they will definitely be on the menu somehow.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1867 on: April 19, 2020, 10:48:41 AM »
I've got a turkey in the oven.  Never actually cooked a whole turkey before, just breasts, so we'll see.  It smells great!  Serving with side salads and some Rancho Gordo Royal Corona beans (I hope I started them in time, planned for 2.5 hrs).

The turkey was absolutely delicious.  8.5 lbs at 325 deg for 2.75 hrs did the trick in my oven (https://www.food.com/recipe/moist-and-tender-turkey-or-turkey-breast-102335).  Easily made gravy with drippings.  I've got the carcass simmering to make stock.  Lunch was a salad and a turkey sandwich with some rosemary french bread I made yesterday.  I'll make a turkey mulligatawny soup also, but I stupidly did not put the ingredients on my shopping list last week (mostly just missing coconut milk), so it will have to wait a week.  This was the best $8 I spent at the grocery store in a while!

Dinner tonight might be Smitten Kitchen's Cabbage and Farro Soup (https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/01/cozy-cabbage-and-farro-soup/), or I might wait until later this week.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1868 on: April 19, 2020, 01:42:51 PM »
We got a cheap 28lb turkey last week (guess they didn't sell as many as usual for Easter what with the social distancing rules).  I figured at less than a dollar canadian per pound we could eat turkey for a week.  Going to have turkey stew, turkey wraps, turkey soup, turkey curry this week . . . regular sliced turkey for dinner tonight.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1869 on: April 19, 2020, 02:15:32 PM »
We got a cheap 28lb turkey last week (guess they didn't sell as many as usual for Easter what with the social distancing rules).  I figured at less than a dollar canadian per pound we could eat turkey for a week.  Going to have turkey stew, turkey wraps, turkey soup, turkey curry this week . . . regular sliced turkey for dinner tonight.

You can cut it into pieces (or have the butcher do it for you) and freeze the pieces (breast, thighs, legs) separately, and use them as "poultry" in various meals. Or, if you've already cooked it, you can cube or shred the cooked meat and freeze it. It mostly allows you to spread out the cooked meat, so you can have stew next week, wraps the week after, ... 28 lbs is a lot to have to go through at once!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1870 on: April 19, 2020, 02:19:34 PM »
Is turkey an Easter food?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1871 on: April 19, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »

You can cut it into pieces (or have the butcher do it for you) and freeze the pieces (breast, thighs, legs) separately, and use them as "poultry" in various meals. Or, if you've already cooked it, you can cube or shred the cooked meat and freeze it. It mostly allows you to spread out the cooked meat, so you can have stew next week, wraps the week after, ... 28 lbs is a lot to have to go through at once!

Yeah, we actually do this several times a year when turkey goes on sale after holidays.  Cook it, then shred and portion it into meal sized baggies and freeze.  It works great for stews, soups, chilis, and curries when unfrozen.  But we were lazy this weekend and only made the one thing, so it's going to be an all turkey week for us most likely.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1872 on: April 19, 2020, 08:29:19 PM »
@ysette9 - I have stuck to my previous (pre-quarantine) schedule of only cooking on weekends, due to work  just being exhausted at the end of a typical work day. By Thursday, the leftover situation can be really dicey. It's not so much planned, as just the way the inventory works out.

That sounds like a lot to juggle so I understand the reasoning behind batch cooking on the weekends. And now with you both working from home you have to cook so much more!

I miss the snacks at work. I was eyeing the Unreal chocolate peanut butter cups on Amazon yesterday, my favorite from the MK. I might just pull the trigger one of these days.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1873 on: April 19, 2020, 09:09:33 PM »
Salad with chicken and my son made homemade garlic breadsticks

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1874 on: April 20, 2020, 12:24:28 AM »
A pasta reheat from the freezer since we have been without power all day and everything.in the kitchen is electric.  Camping trangia to the rescue!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1875 on: April 20, 2020, 04:13:40 AM »
Made roast chicken for the first time. Never knew it was So Easy!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1876 on: April 20, 2020, 08:03:19 AM »

That sounds like a lot to juggle so I understand the reasoning behind batch cooking on the weekends. And now with you both working from home you have to cook so much more!

I miss the snacks at work. I was eyeing the Unreal chocolate peanut butter cups on Amazon yesterday, my favorite from the MK. I might just pull the trigger one of these days.

@ysette9 - I bought myself La Croix as a special treat to keep at home. I have one every day with lunch, to stretch them out, but love them! Also love those Unreal chocolate peanut butter cups. My son made homemade peanut butter cups the other day, and there wasn't actually much to it.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1877 on: April 20, 2020, 09:05:18 AM »
Tonight we will have leftovers of flank steak, rice & veggies
Last night we made pizza with olives, capers, spinach, peppers and prosciutto..very tasty!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:44:40 PM by Serendip »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1878 on: April 20, 2020, 10:27:42 AM »
We're having steak & coleslaw tonight

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1879 on: April 20, 2020, 01:34:25 PM »
Probably chili rellenos (that looks like I spelled it wrong) stuffed with roasted mashed butternut squash and cheese. Black beans & tortillas. Slaw. I'd make rice, but the fridge is pretty full, since I went shopping today (and hoped not to go again for a while... except that there was no flour! So I'll probably have to make a run for staples -- flour, some spices, beans, oats. Aargh!)

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1880 on: April 20, 2020, 03:49:25 PM »
Lots of good ideas I always enjoy the budgetbytes recipes and the eatcheapandhealthy on reddit

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1881 on: April 20, 2020, 04:31:45 PM »
We haven't made this in a long time, but really looking forward to this collard greens soup with coconut milk that we have a recipe for.  It's almost 2lbs collard greens with 2 cans coconut milk and lots of veggie stock and you put a split habanero pepper in it while it simmers.  Then you remove the pepper and blend the soup.  It's a little spicy but also lots of depth from the broth and coconut milk.  And fully vegan!  We'll have it with sweet potato fries on the side, which we usually dip in mayo, so not quite vegan for the whole meal.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1882 on: April 20, 2020, 05:30:47 PM »
Rumor is veggie lasagna tonight with Zucs, spinach and onions..

Keep the good recipes coming!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1883 on: April 20, 2020, 06:07:57 PM »
Probably chili rellenos (that looks like I spelled it wrong) stuffed with roasted mashed butternut squash and cheese. Black beans & tortillas. Slaw. I'd make rice, but the fridge is pretty full, since I went shopping today (and hoped not to go again for a while... except that there was no flour! So I'll probably have to make a run for staples -- flour, some spices, beans, oats. Aargh!)

Yum! That sounds amazing.

I’m not in charge of dinner tonight, so I don’t know what we’re having. I’m off tomorrow, so I’m planning to make salmon, salad (I bought a rather large quantity of romaine lettuce and bunched spinach today), and roasted acorn squash.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1884 on: April 20, 2020, 06:41:53 PM »
Roommate picked up some romaine from Costco today so had romaine, covered with chunky salsa and grilled chicken. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1885 on: April 21, 2020, 07:51:32 AM »
We haven't made this in a long time, but really looking forward to this collard greens soup with coconut milk that we have a recipe for.  It's almost 2lbs collard greens with 2 cans coconut milk and lots of veggie stock and you put a split habanero pepper in it while it simmers.  Then you remove the pepper and blend the soup.  It's a little spicy but also lots of depth from the broth and coconut milk.  And fully vegan!  We'll have it with sweet potato fries on the side, which we usually dip in mayo, so not quite vegan for the whole meal.

Would this work with kale?  I asked my husband to pick up some lacinato kale and he came home with two big bunches of red frilly kale instead.  I made kale and chorizo soup last week, so I'm looking for something else to do with it.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1886 on: April 21, 2020, 08:55:37 AM »

Would this work with kale?  I asked my husband to pick up some lacinato kale and he came home with two big bunches of red frilly kale instead.  I made kale and chorizo soup last week, so I'm looking for something else to do with it.

Yeah, I think it would be great with kale, too. The recipe also has you saute about a cup or so of onion to start, then wilt the greens for a few minutes before adding the liquids and pepper.  Enjoy!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1887 on: April 21, 2020, 09:54:31 AM »
Awesome, I will give it a try!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1888 on: April 21, 2020, 11:06:45 AM »
We're having chicken curry + rice

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #1889 on: April 21, 2020, 11:12:44 AM »
Taco Tuesday!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1890 on: April 21, 2020, 08:46:17 PM »
Fidget Casserole, from Frugal Queen in Cornwall (now Frugal Queen in France). Recipes seem to be out there, but they're all in Pinterest, so I'm not linking. It's a cream, slightly cheesy baked casserole of onion, leeks, diced ham, potatoes and apples. My sauce always breaks (I suspect the apple juice is the culprit here), but I make it a few times a year as comfort food. With artichokes, which were on sale at Trader Joe's on Monday.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1891 on: April 22, 2020, 11:44:16 AM »
Thawing a spicy blackbean, butternut squash stew that I cooked then immediately froze last week due to a full fridge (from Amy Chaplin)..

last night cooked naan bread for the first time (to go with indian leftovers). Very satisfying!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1892 on: April 22, 2020, 12:41:24 PM »
I'm planning to make a simple cauliflower, chickpea, and spinach curry with tofu cubes as a paneer substitute, served over rice.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1893 on: April 22, 2020, 07:39:44 PM »
green beans and popcorn
It was a weird day

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1894 on: April 23, 2020, 02:30:14 PM »
green beans and popcorn
It was a weird day

Some days require weird dinners... :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1895 on: April 23, 2020, 02:31:47 PM »
Okonomiyaki!
(savoury Japanese pancake with cabbage, eggs, etc).

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1896 on: April 23, 2020, 03:05:52 PM »
I made Serious Eats's Chili Mac last night (with a lot of modifications). It was excellent, and I'm polishing off the last of the leftovers just a day later

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1897 on: April 23, 2020, 05:20:23 PM »
Turkey chili. It used up a couple of slightly wilted bell peppers, the last red onion, the rest of the garbanzos I cooked up earlier this week, and a couple cups of Rancho Gordo Indian woman beans cooked this morning (the rest will be refried in a bit of bacon grease this weekend and served with avocado, salsa, cheese, and corn tortillas).

Since we’ve had snow on at least 3 days in the past week and accumulating snow on 2 of those days, it’s still very much chili weather.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1898 on: April 23, 2020, 08:33:02 PM »
pork tamales and corn with salsa verde

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1899 on: April 25, 2020, 07:15:58 PM »
Not really feeling it tonight, so checked the (long!) list on the fridge. Made Pozole, with stock and shredded chicken from the roast we had last week. With salad.